Blindwett House (15) 7 m. NW T . of Tuam, N.
Galway, Kirwan, Esq.
BLISLAND par. (30) Trigg hund. Mid. Corn-
wall, 4 m. NNE. of Bodmin-234. Acres 6880
| (or 6025) , granite, schist, etc. with stream tin ;
pop. C88 + 4 ; poor r. 224/. (Bodm. U.) ; real prop.
:;:n>7/. St. Pratt Rect. (Exet.) val. 571/., Rev. F.
Pye; church, has brass of a priest (1410). Fair,
Blond, after 22 Sept. cattle.
Blissimore Hall (12) 3 in. KW.by W. of Ando-
ver, NW. Hants.
P. BLISWOKTH par. (53) Wymersley bund.
S. Northmptn. a station on N. West. rail, where
Peterboro' line turns oft', G3 m. from London, 4 m.
from Towcester, near the B. Tunnel (of 9240 ft.)
on Gd. Junct. canal. Acres l'J80 ; pop. 882 + 21 ;
poor r. 285/. (Towcest. U.); real prop. 3930/. ;
charities 12/. St. J. Baptist Reel. (Pet.) val. 351 /.,
patr. Rev. W. Barry, rector ; church, has brass of
R. Wake and wife (1503).
BLITHBURY limit. (72) Mavesyn Ridware par.
E. Stafford. 2 m. NE. of Rugeley-126, on R.
Blithe as below. Pop. 144.
Blitlie, or Blythe, River (62, 72) rises 3 m. E. of
Lane End, N. Stafford, and runs SSE. 25 m. to
the Trent near King's Bromley, passing Chartley
and the places following.
BLITHK BRIDGE limit. (72) Kingston par.
E. Stafford. 4 m. SW. of Uttoxeter-135, on
R. Blithe as above. B. Hall A m. S.
Blithe River. See Blythe R., Suffolk.
BLITHEFIELD par. (72) S. Pirehill hund. Mid.
Stafford. 2 m. W. of Abbot's Bromley-129, on R.
Blitlie, contains Admaston and Newton. Acres
4180; pop. 390; poor r. 173Z. (Uttoxeter U.) 5
real prop. 2743Z. ; charities 70/., of which 35/. to
Uagot's school. St. Leonard Rect. (Lich.) val.
38/. patr. Lord Bagot of B. House, whicli has
portraits of Burleigh, Walter, father of Rob. Earl
of Essex, Lady Aylesford, Lady Dorset (the brown
beauty of Chas. ll.'s court), Moliere and others ;
church with brasses and mons. of the Bagots,
BLITHEFORD (72) 2 m. S. of Abbot's Bromley,
E. Stafford, on R. Blithe.
BLITHEMARSH (72) 3 m. SE. of Lane End-146,
N. Stafford, on R. Blithe.
BUTTER LEES ( ) 7 m. N". of Allonby-316,
N W. Cumbrld. on Sol way Frith.
BLO' NORTON par. (50) Guilt-cross hund. S.
Norfolk, 5 m. S. of E. Harling-89, on R. Waveney.
Acres 1400 ; pop. 435 + 2 ; poor r. 399Z. (Guiltcr.
U.) ; real prop. 2093/. ; charities, 97/., of which
parish lands 66/. St. Andrew Meet. (Norw.) vaL
23 1/., patr. Rev. C. II. Browne, rector.
Blockfen Bridge (65) 8 m. WN W. of Ely, Mid.
Blockhouse (51) 5 m. NNW. of Newmarket, E.
Cambridge. |gp" BLOCKHOUSE (54) extra par. to
Worcester city. Pop. 1280. ^T B. Fort (11)
commands the mouth of Portsmouth barb. S.
Hants. $&*B. /s/d.(57)mouth of Lough Carling-
ford between Down, and Lonth, S W. Down, has
a fort on it. ^ B. Wick. (48") 10 m. SE. of
Colchester, E. Essex, at R. Colne s mouth.
P. BLOCKLEY par. (44) Upper Oswadslow
1 m u< 1. Worcester, locally in NE. Gloucest. 3 m.
N\V. of Moreton-in-the-Marsh-81, on the Fosse
way, is a petty sess. town, belonging to the Bps.
of Worcester, who had a palace here, and contains
Aston Magna cur., Dome, Ditchford, Draycott,
and Paxford. Acres 7660 ; pop. 2136 + 12, of
town 1412, in the stone quarries, corn and silk
mills ; poor r. 858J. (Shipston U.) ; real prop.
6063/. St. Peter and .Paul Vic. (Wore.) val.
762/., patr. Bishop ; church, norman in part, on
the site of a monastery found, before 855, has
brasses of 2 priests (P. VVorthyn 1483). Roman
remains have been found. Fairs, Tu. after Easter
week, cattle ; 10 Oct. mop for hiring. >fc B. DEAN-
ERY, archdy. and dioc. of Worcester, contains the
benefices of Blockley vie., Daylesford rect., Even-
lode r., Stretton-on-the-Fosse r.
BI.ODWELL tnshp. (74) Llanyblodwell par. NIV.
Salop, 5 m. SSW. of Oswestry-171. Pop. 384.
B. Hall, .
BLOFIELD HUNDRED (66) E. Norfolk, contains
the pars, and benefices of Blofield rect., Bradeston
r. (with Strumpshaw), Brimdall r. (with Plum-
stead), Buckenham r., Burlingham-St. Andrew,
St. Edmund, and St. Peter r., Cantley r., Free-
thorpe r. (with Reedham), Hassingham r. (with
Buckenham), Lempenham vie. (with Southwood),
Lingwood cur., Great and Little Plumstead r.,
Postwick r., Southwood r., Strumpshaw r., Witton
r. (with Plumstead), and part of Thorpe r. ; acres
20,290, pop. 5665, houses 1100.
P. BIXJFIELD par. in the above hund. 6 m. E.
of Norwich-108, on Yarmouth rail. Acres 1990;
pop. 1112 + 2; houses 228, with Reeves's school
(10/.), and Union p. house ; poor r. 594Z. ; real
prop. 7010?. ; charities 85Z. St. Andrew Rect.
(Norw.) val. 896/., patr. Caius Coll. Camb. Blof.
P. L. Union, contains the pars. etc. in the hund.
and deanery above and below ; acres 44,871, pop.
10,565, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7) 1305 (out-door
985), expend. 5485/., prop, rated 75,764/. Sup.
Registry comprises the same, with Thorpe-St. An-
drew : pop. 10,555 + 74. It belongs to Norwich
New County Court district, tfr B. DEANERY,
archdy. and dioc. of Norwich, contains the bene-
fices marked in the hund. above, with Acle
rect., Beighton r., Fishley r., Halvergate vie.,
Hemblington cur., Moulton v., Randwortfi v.,
Reedham v., Tunstall c., S. Walsham r., Wick-
ham pton r., Woodbastwick v.
Blrmer, near , Sussex, Sir E. J. Trowbridge, Bt.
Bloodmore Hill (67) near Pakefield, NE. Sufflk.
has a barrow where remains were found 1768.
Bloody Foreland (23) 4 m. NE. of Inishbofin,
NIV. Donegal, a promontory near B. F. Mountn.
1035 ft. high.
P. BLOOMFIELD (22) 1 m. SE. of Dublin, E.
Dubl. ^ Bloomfield (110) 5 m. NE. of Balin-
robe, SE. Mayo, Rev. F. L. Rutledge. ^P Bloom-
field (13) 1m. E. of Maryboro', Mid. Queen's
Co. 1ST Bloomfield (27) Tirerrill bar. E. Sligo.
SiT Bloomfield (37) near Newport, W. Tippery.
$g Bloomfield (26) Fartulagh bar. SE. West-
meath, NE. of Lough Knurl 1.
BloomhUl (46) 5 in. N. of Dungannon, E. Tyrone.
BLOOMSBURY par. (7) Finsbury boro', London,
formerly Lomesbury, and till 1534 the site of the
.King's Mews, contains B. Square, which has a
sitting statue of Fox, 9ft. high, by Westmacott,
Russell Sq., with a statue of Duke of Bedford, by
the same, Woburn Sq., part of Torrington Sq.
(in which is Coward Coll. for dissenters), and the
British Museum (see LONDON), once the Mon-
tagues' seat. Acres (with St. Giles's) 250 ; pop.
16,981 ; houses 2083, with 3 churches, 4 chapels,
co. court ho., savings bk. (46l,973Z. from 18,408
depositors) ; poor r. and real prop, with St. Giles ;
charities, Southampton almshouses 381/., and
others (with St. Giles's). St. George Rect. (Lond.)
val. 1000/., patr. Ld. Chancellor, church, stand-
ing N. and S., close to New Oxford St., is one of
Q. Anne's 50 churches, b. 1731 by Hawksmoor at
a cost of 9790/. a heavy mixture of tuscan and
corinthian styles surmounted by a steeple (copied
from Pliny's description of the tomb of Mausolus),
with a statue of George II. at the top ; Christ
Church Cur., 500/., the Rector ; Bedford Chap. Cur.,
val. I., ch. lately reb., is in B. Street (Plum-
tree St. till 1845) near the French episcop. chnpd,
b. 1845 by A. Poynter (formerly in the Savoy),
and close to thtf baptist chapel, b. 1818 bv J. Gib-
son. In S. Square, at first called Southampton
Sq. after Wriothesley earl Southampton's seat
in which Lady Russell died (which came to the
Bedforcls 1704, and was pulled down 1800), lived
Baxter, Sir H. Sloane, Dr. Radcliffe, Akenside,
Ld. Mansfield (whose house was burnt by the
mob 1780), D'Israeli (when writing his 'Curios,
of Lit.') ; Speaker Onslow, Sir S. Smith, in Gt.
Russell St. ; Romilly, Lawrence, Ld. chan. Lough-
borough, ch. just. Ld. Tenterden, in Russell Sq.,
which was b. 1804, and near which is the Russell
lit. institutn. found. 1808 in Coram St. (so called
after the founder of the Foundling hosp.) ; R. Cum-
berland died in Bedford Place. The orthopaedic
institution, corporation of sons of clergy (who
have a music festival 2nd week in May at St.
Paul's), Lond. blind soc., roy. literary fund, phar-
maceutical soc. etc. are in this quarter; and S.
Jenyns (1704-87) and T. Hook (1788-1841) were
natives. Bloomsb. New County Court includes the
par. of St. George, parts of St. Giles, and St. Mary-
le-bone, and nearly all St. Pancras, to Hampstead.
P. BLOOMSBURY (23) 4 m. SE. of Dublin, SE.
Dubl., near Kingstown, igif Bloomsbury (17)
6 m. NW. of Navan, N. Meath, J. Barnwall, Esq.
BLOORE-IN-TYRLEY tnshp. (73) with Hales,
Drayton-in-Hales par. W. Stafford. 4 m. E. of
Drayton-153, contains Sandy-^Lane Head, and
Hook-gate, and nas a cross commemorating the
battle on E. Heath, fought 1459, between the
Lancastrians and Yorkists, when Ld. Audly and
many Cheshire gentlemen on the former side were
killed. Pop. 561 + 17 ; real prop. 87767.
Bloor's Place (6) near Rainham, 4 m. SW. of
Chatham, N. Kent, the old seat of the Bloors, now
a farmhouse belonging to Earl of Thanet.
BLORE, or B. RAY, par. (72) N. Totmonslow
hund. NE. Stafford. 9 m. NE. of Cheadle-146, oa
R. Dove, contains Calton. Acres 3730 ; pop.
333 -* 4, of .town 273 ; poor r. 357. (Ashbourne
\j.) -, real prop. 9572. ; charities 177. St Bar-
tholomew Reel. (Lich.) val. 1307., patr. O. Shore,
Esq. ; church, small, with tombs and brasses of the
Bassets, whose ancient seat is now a farmhouse.
Blorenge Mountn. (42) 2 m. SW. of Aber-
gavenny, E. Monmouth. at the head of R. Avon
Llwyd, and the end of the Black mountns., is
1720 ft. high, with iron in it.
Blossom Hall (69) 3 m. S. of Boston, SE. Lincl.
Blossomfort (24) near Mallow, N. Cork, and
Blount's Court (13) 3 m. SW. of Henley SE.
Orf~""L near a pond, in which many oaks and
other remains were found, 1675.
Blow Wells (86) 5 m. NW. of Gt. Grimsby,
NE. Lincoln, near Stallingborough, are deep pits,
which furnish a constant .supply of water, and
are commonly supposed unfathomable ; but this,
it seems, is a mistake.
BLOWICK, HIGHER and LOWER, hmlts. (90)
N. Meol's par. SW. Lancnsh. 6 m. NNW. of
Blowick ( ) a beautiful bay. at the bottom of
Ulleswater, NW. Westmrlrl. under Place Fell.
BLOWTY tnshp. (60) Llangadfan par. Mid.
Montgmry. 6 m. WNW. of Llanfair-178. Pop. 85.
BLOXHAM HUNDRED (45) N. Oxford, contains
the pars, and benefices of Adderbury vie., Alker-
ton rect., Bloxham r., Broughton r., Drayton r*,
Hanwell r., Horley, Hornton, Tadmorton r., Wig-
ginton r., Wroxton ., and parts of Cropredy v.,
and Swalc'iffe v. ; acres 27,710, pop. 9044, houses
1982. See DEDDINGTON DEANERY.
BLOXHAM par. in the above hund. 3 m. SW. of
Banbury-71, a petty sess. place, containing Mil-
combe cur. Acres 42,140 ; pop. 1543 ; poor r. 8247.
(Banb. U.) ; real prop. 74997. ; charities 2477., of
which Feoffee's estate 2217. St. Mary Vic. (Oxon.)
val. 2627., patr. Eton Coll. ; ch. afine early eng. with
norman traces, and decorated eng. spire and W.
door, besides sculptures, and mons. of the Griffiths
and Thorneycrofts. B. Grove, G. Warriner, Esq.
BLOXHOLM, or BLOXHAM, par. (70) Flaxwell
wap. Mid. Lincoln. 5 m. N. of Sleaford-115.
Acres 1100 ; pop. 67 ; poor r. 707. (Sleaf. U.);
real prop. 20107. St. Mary Rect. (Line.) with
Digby, vaL 2457., patr. R. A. Christopher, Esq.
B. Hal/, Mrs. Manners.
P. BLOXWICH vil. (62) Walsall foreign, S.
Stafford. 2 m. N. of Walsall- 121, on S. Staf. rail,
and Essington canal, has 3 chapels, schools, etc.
St. Mary Cur. (Lich.) vaL 1507., patr. Vicar.
l|ip B. LITTLE, m. NE.
BLOXWORTH par. (16) Coomb's Ditch hund.
SE. Dorset. 5 m. NNW. of Wareham-115. Acres
3420, part heath ; pop. 306 + 4 ; poor r. 1597.
(Wareh. U.) ; real prop. 15917. St. Andrew Rect.
(Sal.) val. 2307., patr. E. Pickhard, Esq., of B. Ho.
not far from Woodbury roman camp. (gg E.
Bloxworth, \ m. E., near Woolbarrow danish camp.
BLUBBERHOUSES tnshp. ( ) Fewston par.
W. R. York. 8 m. SW. of Ripley-215. Acres
3600 ; pop. 99 ; poor r. 267.
BLUE ANCHOR hmlt. (20) Old Cleeve par.
NW. Somerset. 2 m. W. of Watchet-156, in
Bridgwater bay. gg" B. Bridge House (47) 1 m.
S. of Halstead, N. Essex. ^T B. Hayes (22)
5 m. ENE. cf Exeter, E. Devon. Long, Esq.
^" B. House ( ) 1 m. S. of Stockton, SE. Durh.
l$sg B. Midi, or Blumel, Sound, between Yell and
Unst islds. N. Shetld. ^ B. Pits (88) 1 m. S^y.
of Rochdale, E. Lancash. on Man. and Leeds rail.
Bluestack Mountains (85) about 7 m. N. of Do-
negal, SW. Donegal, include Croaghnageer 1793
ft., Bluestack 2213 ft., Knockroe 2207 ft., and
Silver Hill 1967.
Bluestone Mill ( ) 4 m. N. of Stockton, SE.
BLUNDESTON par. (67) Mutford hund. NE.
Suffolk, 3 m. NNW. of Lowestoft-114, on R.
Waveney. Acres 1500 ; pop. 592 + 8 ; poor r.
1707. (Mutf. Incorp.) ; real prop. 33087. ; charities
977., of which 107. to Clarke's school. St. Mary
Rect. (Norw.) with Flixton, val. 6177., patr. S.
Peto, Esq. M.P. of Somerleyton. B. House, N.
P. BLUNHAM par. (52) Wixamtree hund. E.
Beds. 7 m. E. of Bedford-50, between Rs. Ivel and
Ouse, was once a mkt. town, and contains Mug-
gerhanger. Acres 3300 ; pop. 1050 + 14 ; poor r.
2237. (Biggleswade U.) ; real prop. 28867. St.
Edmund Rect. (Ely) val. 7317., patr. Earl de Grey,
of whose family the church has mons. B. House,
Sir C. Payne, Bt. ; B. Park, J. Campbell, Esq.
BLUNSDON-ST. ANDREW par. (34) Highworth
hund. 1 m. SW. of the following. Acres 1420 ;
pop. 79 ; poor r. 887. (Highw. U.) ; real prop.
16277. Living, a Rect. (Gl. and Br.) val. 3057.,
patr. J. J. Calley, Esq. B. Castle Hill, is a cir-
cular camp near the roman road to Cirencester.
giP B., BROAD, chplry. (34) Highworth par. NE.
Wilts. 3 m. SE. of Cricklade-83. Pop. 831 + 16,
of B. Bury tythg. 17. Living, a Cur. with
P. BLUNTISHAM par. (51) Harstingstone hund.
E. Hunts. 4 m. NE. of St. Ives-60, on R. Ouse,
containing Earith, was given to Ely abbey 1015,
and still in part belongs to the Chapter. Acres
3410, partly fen, of town 2410 ; pop. 1457, of
town 740 + 7 ; poor r. 7977. (St. Ives U.) ; real
prop. 57377. ; charities 2267., of which 887, to
Skeele's school. St. Mary Rect. (Ely) val. 10107.,
pair. Bishop, sometime held by Dr. Knight,
author of Lives of Dean Colet and Erasmus ;
church, commanding a fine view, early eng., with
chancel (ending, not in a curve, but half hexa-
gon), screen, piscina, 8-sided font, and epitaph on a
prize-fighter, beginning " Here lies the conqueror
conquered." A hurricane, which lasted 13 min.
doing great damage, and was felt at Cambridge,
happened here 1741. B. House, M. Tebbut, Esq.
Bhmfs Court (13) 3 m. WSW. of Henley-on-
Thames, SE. Oxon. ^ B. Hall (48) 5 m. SE.
of Manningtree, NE. Essex. t^ B. Walls (1)
1 m. W. of Billericay, S. Essex, a farm on the
site of a roman camp, where coins, urns, etc., have
BLURTON chplry. (72) with Lightwood forest,
Trentham par. N. Stafford. 1 m. SW. of Lane
Erid-146. Acres 2210; pop. 876 + 3; real prop.
4534Z. Living, a Cur. (Lich.) with Normacot
val. 189Z., patr. Duke of Sutherland.
Bluffier, or Blubber, Water, rises in Saline hills,
W. Fife, and runs 12 m. VV. to the Devon, by
P. BLYBOROUGH par. (86) W. Aslacoe wap. N.
Lincoln. 8 m. NE. of Gainsboro'-148. Acres 3080,
with mineral springs ; pop. 197 ; poor r. 72Z.
(Gainsb. U.) ; real prop. 3470Z. St. Alkmond
Sect. (Line.) val. 519Z., patr. Ld. Chancellor. B.
Hall, seat of the late P. Luard, Esq.
BLYMHILL par. (61) W. Cuttlestone hund. W.
Stafford, 5 m. N W. of Bre wood-1 32, near Watling
St., a meet for the Albrighton hounds. Acres
2190 ; pop. 633 + 7 ; poor r. 160Z. (Shiffnal U.) ;
real prop. 3623Z. ; charities 6Z. St. Mary Beet.
(Lich.) val. 560Z., patr. Earl Bradford.
Blysoog River, (40, 57-8) rises near Blaen Forth,
5 W. Cardigan, and runs 4 m. S. to R. Teifi, near
Blyth, 3 m. ENE. tf Lauder, W. Berwick, on
the B. Water, which rises in B. Edge, in the Lam-
mermuir hills, and runs 6 m. to Boon Water.
P. BLYTH par. (82) Bassetlaw wap. N. Notts.
and Strafforth wap. W. R. York. 30 m. N. of Not-
tingham, 152 from London (176 by Midld. rail.)
contains Austerfield and Bawtry curs., Barnby-
Moor, Hodsock, Ranskill, Styrrup, and Torworth
on R. Blythe, was a mkt. town and had a bene-
dictine priory (founded 1088 by Roger de Builly,
who built a castle here) and at B. Spital a lepers'
hospital founded by the Cressys. Acres 17,070,
cultivated like a garden ; pop. 3488, of town
758 ; houses 177, with 2 chapels, free school (18Z.)
and almsho. (10Z.) ; poor r.!70Z. (WorksopU.) ; real
prop. 4054Z. ; charities 82Z. St. Martin Vic. (Yk.)
val. 751Z., patr. Trin. Coll.Camb. ; church, norman
with later eng. tower, was attached to the priory,
and has mons. of the Mellishes of B. Hall, now
seat of H. Walker, Esq., who holds the manor.
Serlby Hall, Dow. Lady Galway. Fuller says
the town took its name from " the mirth and
good fellowship of the inhabitants therein." Mr.
Lumley's hounds meet here. Fairs, Holy Thurs.
20 Oct. igT B., NORTH, tnshp. ( ) Bedlington
par. Durham, locally in Northmbrld. near S.
Bythe as below. Fop. 123, fishermen.
P. BLYTH, SOUTH, tnshp. ( ) with Newsham
lordship, Earsdon par. SE. Northmbrld. 11 m.
NNE. of Newcastle, 288 from London, near Berwk.
rail, at the mouth of B. River, which rises 2 m. E.
of Throckington, and runs 20 m. E. to the Ger-
man Ocean (at B. Nook) below the town, where it
forms a safe harb. and sub-port to Newcast. Pop.
1774, in the coal and coasting trade ; houses 287,
with 3 chapels, custom-house (a branch of the
Newcastle), dry dock ; poor r. 578Z. (Tynemo. U.).
Living, a don. Cur. (Durh.) val. 93Z., patr. Sir M.
W. Ridley, Bt., who built the church and owns the
manor. Two fixed lights, put up 1788, in lat. 55 7'
N., long. 1 30' W., 445 ft. apart, are 48 and 26 ft.
high, and seen 11 and 7m.; a signal is shown
while there is 8 ft. water, and off it are the Sow
and Pigs rocks.
BLYTHBURGH par. (49) Blything hund. E.
Suffolk, 4 m. W. of Southwold-105, once a mkt.
town, on R. Blythe, as below, contains Bulcamp
and Hinton, and remains of a chapel and
a priory which belonged to St. Osyth's, Acres
3590 ; pop. 837 + 26 ; poor r. 41 1Z. (Blything U.) ;
real prop. 4040Z. Holy Trinity Cur. (Norw.)
val. 45Z, patr. Sir C. Blois, Bt.,of Westwood, who
has the manor ; church, fine early eng. but much
disfigured, has font, painted windows, and frag-
ments of old mons. among which is one said to
be of Anna, king of E. Anglia, killed at the battle
of Bulcamp (which see). Henham Hall, Earl of
Blythe Hall (90) 2 m. NE. of Ormskirk, SW.
Lancash. a seat of R. Wilbraham, Esq. of Lathom.
^T B. Hall (62) 1 m. NE. of Coleshill, N. War-
wick, on R. Blythe, which rises 4 m. W. of Kenil-
worth, and runs 10 m. N. to R. Tame near
Coleshill, is seat of W. Dugdale, Esq., formerly
of Sir William, the great antiquary, county his-
torian, and author of the " Monasticon," etc.
l^- B. House (53) 3 m. NW. of Coventry, Mid.
Warwick. gaT B. MARSH vil. (72) 2 m. SE. of
Lane End, N. Stafd. near the head of Blithe R. .
Blythe River (49, 50) rises 5 m. NNE. of Fram-
lingham, E. Suffolk, and runs 15 m. E. to the
N. Sea, near Southwold, passing Blythburgh in
Blything hund. and Halesworth, to which it is>
BLYTHFORD par. (50) Blything hund. E. Suf-.
folk, 2 m. SE. of Halesworth-200, on R. Blythe,
above Blytheburgh. Acres 1240 ; pop. 223 + 3 ;I
poor r. 84Z. (Blything U.) ; real prop. 1638Z. All
Saints don. Cur. (Norw.) val. Z. patr. Rev. J. Day^
BLYTHING HUNDRED (49, 50) NE. Suffolk,'
contains the pars, and benefices of Aldringham,
Binacre rect., Blythburgb cur., Blythford c.,
Bramfield vie., Brampton r., Chediston v., Cook-
ley r., S. Cove r., Cratfield ., Darsham ., Dun-
wich c., Easton-Bavents, Feostenden r., Hales-
worth r., Havening r., Holton r., Huntingfield r.,
Knodishall r., Leiston c., Linstead Magna and
Parva curs., Middleton r., N. Hales v., Peasenhall
c., Reydon v., Rumburgh c., Sibton v., Sotherton
r., Southwold c., Spexhallr., Stoven c., Theber-
ton r., Thorington r., Ubbeston v., Uggleshall r.,
Walberswick c., Walpole c., Wangford c., Wen-
haston ., Westhall, v., Westleton, Wissett c.,.
Wrentham r., Yoxford v., and part of Henstead
r., and Henham c. ; acres 83,850 ; pop. 25,769 ;
houses 5243. See DUNWICH DEANERY. Blyth.
P. L. Union, contains the pars., etc. in the above
hund. with Carlton and Kelsale; acres 90,221,
pop. 27,319, cases relieved (1846-7) 3402 (out-
door 2646), expend. 10.426Z., prop, rated 132,810Z,
Sup. Registry comprises the same, except Easton-
Bavents ; pop. 27,325 + 162. For the New County
Court district (which corresponds with the Re-
gistry) see Halesworth.
Biythsbank, 2 m. SSE. of Dunse, Mid. Beneick.
on R. Blackadder.
Blythswood House, 1 m. NE. of Renfrew, E.
Renfrew. A. Campbell, Esq. on R. Clyde, near the
P. BLYTON par. (83) Corringham hund. NW.
Lincoln. 4 m. NE. of Gainsboro'-148, on Manch.
and Line. rail, contains Wharton and Greenhill.
Acres 2830 ; pop. 647 + 9 ; poor r. 132Z. (Gainsb.
U.); real prop. 6 1 Oil. ; charities, Milne's school
20/. St. Martin Vic. (Line.) val. 3997, patr. Earl
Boa, or Bow, Island (4, 5) 2 m. S. of Pettigoe,
in Upper Loch Erne, is 4i m. long.
Boardenhouse Bridge (65) 8 m. SW. of Wis-
beach-93, N. Cambridge.
BOARDLEY tnshp. ( ) 7 m. E. of Settle, W.R.
York, is joined to HETTON. B. Mastiles, 1 m. NE.
BOARHILLS viL St. Andrew's par. E. Fife, by
the coast, is named from a tradition of a boar
which ravaged Magus (or Muckross) Moor.
BOARHUNT par. (11) Portsdown hund. SE.
Hants. 2 m. NE. of Fareham-73, near the Nelson
pillar on Portsdown hill. Acres 1850 ; pop. 232
+ 1; poorr. 111Z. (Fareh. U.); real prop. 1626Z.
Living, a donative Cur. (Wine.) with Southwick
val. 154Z., T. Thystlethwaite, Esq.
Boarsford (56) 4 m. NNE. of Presteign, NW.
BOARSTALL par. (45) Ashendon hund. W.
Bucks. 7 m. NW. of Thame-44, once part of
Oakley, was given by the Confessor to Nigel the
huntsman, for killing a boar in Bern wood forest,
and was held with Derehyde, etc., by a horn
which is still in possession of his descendants, the
Aubreys of Dorton. Acres 3080, partly woodland ;
pop. 252 ; poor r. 212Z. (Bicester U.) ; real prop.
2847Z. ; charities 20Z. St. James Cur. with Brill.
B. Tower, the Aubreys' old seat, and now gone but
the gate, was occupied by both parties 1643-6.
Booth, Auldearn par. N. Nairn. 1 in. E. of
Nairn, seat of Dunbar, Esq.
BOATHORPE (63) West Goscote hund. W. Lei-
cester. 2 m. W. of Ashby-de-la-Zouch-115.
BOATHOW ( ) Leath ward E. Cumbrld. 8 m.
SW. of Penrith-283.
Boat-inn Ferry (65) across R. Nen, 4 m. N. of
March, N. Cambridge.
BOATLAND ( ) 3 m. ESE. of Bellingham, S.
Boat-o' -bridge Ferry, on R. Spey, NE. Elgin.
on the road from Keith to Rothes, is now crossed
by a suspension bridge.
BOBBING par. (6) Milton hund. Scray lathe,
N. Kent, 1 m. West of Milton, belonged to the
Savages of B. Court, now in ruins, then to the
Clifford's of B. Place. Acres 1040 ; pop. 404 + 4 ;
poor r. 137/1 (Milton U.) ; real prop. 2480/1 ; cha-
rities 71. St. Bartholomew Vic. (Cant.) val. 96Z.
patr. Rev. G. Simpson, vicar, sometime held by
Titus Oates ; church ancient, with piscina, stone
seat, 2 brasses (one canopied, 1420), and mons. of
the Savages and Tuftons. B. Street, 1 m. NE. on
the branch way which tyirns off from Watling
St. at Key Street Fair, 4 Sep.
BOBBINGTOX par. (61) Brimstree hund. Sahp,
and S. Seisdon hund. S W. Stafford. 6 m. ESE.
of Bridgnorth-139, contains Halfpenny- Green.
Acres 2320; pop. 418; poor r. 91Z. (Seisd. U.);
real prop. 3980/. ; charities 83/., of which Cobbett's
free school 42Z. St. Mary Cur. (Lich.) val. 97Z.,
patr. T. Whitmore, Esq.
BOBBINGWORTH, or BoBBiNGER, par. (1) On-
gar hund. W. Essex, 4 m. NE. of Epping-16.
Acres 1430 ; pop. 357 ; poor r. 132Z. (Ong. U.) ;
real prop. 2452Z. ; charities III. St. German Rect.
(Roch.) val. 393Z., patr. J. A. Houblon and C.
Bob's, or Hob's, Nose (22) N. side of Torbay,
SE. Devon, has near it the Orestone, Loadstone,
Thatcher, and Shag rocks with 5 to 10 fath,
around them. Sip B. Hall (47) close to Hal-
stead, N. Essex.
Bobsgrove (42) Clanmahon bar. S. Cavan, C. E.
Bochastie, Callandcr par. SE. Perth, where the
two heads of the Teath join, near Ben Ledi and
Loch Vennachar, a ruin, b. about 1596 by the
earls of Linlithgow, close to remains of a roman
and a british camp, with another brit. one 2 m. off.
BOCKENFIELD tnshp. ( ) Felton par. E. North-
mbrld. 8 m. N. of Morpeth-289. Pop. 127 + 2.
BOCKHAMPTON tythg. (13) Lambourn par.
W. Berks, i m. SE. of Lambourn-65. Pop. 78.
l^P BOCKHAMPTON (15) 3m. N. of Christ-