of Normandy ; at the Conquest it Avas given to
the Auchers, afterwards to Bp. Warlwast, and
lastly to Dean and Chap, of Chichester, Acres
3860, well wooded ; pop. 1091 ; poor r. 5097.
( Westbourne U.) ; real prop. 78907. ; charities 211.
Holy Trinity Vic. (Chic.) val. 120/., patr. Dean
and Chap. ; church, found, by Warlwast 1129 as
secular college, on the site of a monastery estab-
lished as early as 681 by Dicul, a scotch monk,
has a saxon tower. Herbert de B., secretary to
Becket, and cardinal, was a native.
BOSHERSTON par. (38) Castlemartin hund. S.
Pembroke. 5 m. S. of Pembroke-264, near St.
Goven's head, contains several caverns, under the
limestone cliffs, the largest of which is B. Meer,
running inland more than ^ m. thro' which the
sea dashes. Pop. 225 ; poor r. 1477. (Pembr. U.) ;
real prop. 9537. St. Michael Rect. (St. Dav.)
val. /., patr. Earl Cawdor. Near the Meer, in
the midst of wild scenery, are the hermitage and
well of St. Govan the celebrated Sir Gawaine,
King Arthur's nephew, of romancers.
BOSHILL ( ) Holderness wap. E. R. York. 9 m.
NE. of Beverley-183, near B. Carr.
Boskednan (33) 2 m. NE. of Penzance, W.
Cornwall, has a circle of 19 small stones.
Boskenna (33) St. Buryan par. W. Cornwall, 4 m.
SW. of Penzance-281,F.Paynter,Esq.,hasa crom-
lech, supposed to be the seat of the archdruid, and
near the church is a circle called Boscawen Un or
Oon, of 19 stones, with one in the middle. The Bol-
lait and Boskednan stones are in the neighbourhood.
BOSLET, or BOSLY, chplry. (81) Prestbury par.
E. Cheshire, 4 in. ENE. of Congleton-162. Acres
3180, including the reservoir; pop. 552; poor r.
1177. (Macclesfield U.). Living, a Cur. (dies.)
val. 1101., patr. Vicar.
BOSMERE HUNDRED (11) Fareham division,
SE. Hants, contains the pars, of N. and S. Hay-
ling and Warblington; acres 6060, pop. 3216,
BOSMERE AND CLAYDON HUNDRED (48, 50)
Mid. Suffolk, first united in 1765, and so called
from B. Lake t near Needham-Market, contains
the pars, (and benefices) of Akenhamy Ash-Bock-
ing cur., Badley c., Barham, Barking rect.i Battis-
ford vie., Baylham r., Great and Little Blakenham
reels., Great Bricett c., Claydon, Coddenham .,
Greeting- All Saints, Creeting-St. Mary, and C.-St.
Clove rec<s.,Crowfieldc. (with Coddenham), Flow-
ton r., Gosbeck v, Helmingham r.,- Helmingstone r,,
Henley, Mickfield r., Nettlestead r., Offton v.,
Ringshall r., Somersham r., Stoneham Aspall,
Stoneh. Earl and Parva reets., Swilland, Willis-
ham c., and parts of Bramford, Westerfield, and
Whitton ; acres 50,640, pop. 13,136, houses 2658.
Bosmere and Claydon P.L. Union contains the pars,
etc. in the above hnnd. (except Westerfield and
Whitton) with Ashfield, Darmsden, Debenham,
Framsdeu, Needham-Market, Pettaugh, and Win-
ston ; acres 90,221, pop. 16,521, cases relieved (yr.
1846-7) 2381 (out-door 1984), expend. 89537.,
prop, rated 80,1677. Sup. Registry comprises the
same, except Crowfield ; pop. 16,521 + 57. It
belongs to Ipswich New County Court district,
* B. DEANERY, archdy. of Suffolk, dioc. of Nor-
wich, contains the benefices marked above with
Bramford v., and Soham Earl r.
Bosmere Hall (50) 1 m. SE. of Needham-Mar-
ket, Mid. Suffolk, G. B. Hall, Esq., near 5.
Lake, which is about 30 acres, abounds with fish,
has R. Gipping running through it, and gives
name to the hundred above.
Bosmore (7) 6 m. WNW. of Gt. Marlow, 8.
BOSSALL, par. ( ) Bulmer wap. N. R. York.
9 m. NE. of York-199, on R. Derwent, contains
Butter-Crambe, Claxton, Hutton-Sand curs., and
Flaxton, Harton. Acres 8880, of tnshp. 1090;
pop. 1184 and 77 ; poorr. Z. (York U.) ; chari-
ties 4Z. St. Bossall Vic. (Yk.) val. 445Z., patr. Dean
and Chap. ; church, cruciform, with steeple.
Bossens (33) St. Erth's par. W. Cornwall, 5 m. SE.
of St. Ives, has the Rounds roman camp, where a
patera and other remains have been found.
BOSSINEY, or TREVENA, vil. (30) Tintagel par.
2V. Cornwall, 4 m. NXW. of Camelford-228, in a
bleak country, was once a mkt. town, and from
the time of Hen. III. returned 2 members to
?arl. till disfranchised by the Reform bill. Pop. 87.
t is governed by a nominal mayor, and has a free
school, and the remains of K. Arthur's castle, on
the rugged cliffs. See TINTAGEL.
BOSSINGHAM hmlt. (3) Upper Hardres par. E.
Kent, 5 m. S. of Canterbury-55. Pop. 149.
BOSSINGTON par. (11) Lower Thorngate hund.
W. Hants. 3 m. SSW. of Stockbridge-66, on R.
Anton, and the roman road to Winchester. Acres
1500 ; pop. 60 + 1 ; poor r. 23i (Stockbr. U.) ;
real prop. 801Z. St. James Cur. with Broughton.
BOSSIXGTON tythg. (20) Porlock par. NW.
Somerset, on Porlock bay. Pop. 133.
BOSTAL (3) 6 m. N. of Canterbury-55, N. Kent,
on the coast.
BOSTEAGE (31) Powder hund. W. Cornwall,
4 m. E. of Falmouth-269.
BOSTOCK tnshp. (80) Davenham par. Mid.
Cheshire, 2 m. NW. of Middlewich-167, in the
centre of the shire, near Gd. Junct. rail. Acres
930; pop. 190; poor r. 103Z. (Northwich U.) ;
real prop. 24577. B. Hall, J. F. France, Esq.
BOSTON q. s. par. in Dunse par. Mid. Berwick.
Pop. 1223. Living (Presb. Dunse) val. 1., patr.
## P. M. BOSTON par. (69) Skirbeck wap.
Parts of Holland, SE. Lincoln, a stat. on Gt.
North, rail. 136im. from London or 113 by road,
and 28 m. SE. of Lincoln (by fail.), a sessions
and polling place for the parts of Kesteven and
Holland, on R. Witham, 6 m. from the sea, and
so called from St. Botolph (Botolph's-town), the
patron of sailors, who found, a priory here 654,
is in five parts, including B. Long Hedges, Burton
Corner, Willoughby Hills, with Old River Bottom,
and other fen allotments ; was made a staple or
warehousing port by Edw. II. and sent 16 ships to
the siege of Calais in Edw. III.'s time, since which
its trade has been much hindered by the silt which
chokes the harb. hi spite of Rennie's improvements,
but the inclosure of the adjacent fens has contri-
buted to revive it ; was made a borough by Edw.
IV., since which it has returned two members,
the limits by the Reform act, containing the par.
or old boro', Skirbeck (but not the fen allotment),
Skirbeck Quarter and allotment, no. of elec-
tors 1106 (of 10Z. houses 3430) ; was chartered
by Hen. VIII. and Eliz., and under the act of
1835 divided into two wards, and governed by a
mayor (who is returning officer and admiral of
the port), 6 aid., and 18 council., with the style
of " may., aid., and burgesses of boro' of B." and
a revenue of 5409Z. Acres of boro' about 7873,
flat marshy land, of par. and old boro' 4575, of
municipal boro' about 1100 ; pop. of boro' 14,168,
of par. 12,942 + 170, engaged in exports, with many
graziers, fishermen, etc. ; houses, ; 2 churches.
7 chapels, old guildhall, mkt. house and assem-
bly-rooms, boro' gaol, county house of correction,
vauxhall, theatre, library, custom-bo, and pilot
office, 4 banks, savings bk. (60,29C/. from 2594
depositors), free gram, school found. 1554, in
which Stukeley, the antiquary, was educated,
Langton's free sch. (ISO/.), blue coat sch. (65Z.),
dispensary, 7-arched iron bridge by Rennie (86 ft.
span each) 2 iron foundries, 3 ship-yds., granaries,
and Union p. house ; assd. taxes 2953Z. ; poor r.
54olZ. on 34,182Z. ; real prop. 54,504Z. ; charities
2499Z. St. Botolph Vic. (Line.) val. 360Z., patr.
Corporation ; church, 290 ft. by 99, and one of the
largest hi the kingdom without cross aisles, is a
noble specimen of decorated english b. about 1309,
with a beautiful tower 282 ft. high, of three stories,
crowned by a lantern, after the model of the great
church at Antwerp, it has an old font, ' Descent
from the cross,' after Rubens, mons. of the Tilneys,
who were part founders, and 4 brasses of W. Pescod
(1398, canopied), a priest, etc. ; Chapel of ease,
Cur. 100Z., Bishop. Of the 2 priories, 4 friaries,
3 colleges or hospitals, and a castle b. by Ranulph,
Earl of Richmond 1220, nothing now remains.
Boston the bibliographer (loth cent.), Fox the
martyrologist (1517-87), and Diamond a blind
calculator, were natives ; it publishes the ' B. He-
rald ' newspaper, and gives title of visct. to the
Irbys. B. Deeps, the channel leading to R.
Witham's mouth, on W. side of the Wash, has the
Long Sand, Dog's Head, Roger and Lynn Knock
on one side, dividing it from Lynn Deeps ; and
the Wainfleet and Fiskney Flats along shore,
on the other. That part called the S. Channel is
the best way to the port, and has 4 fath. in some
parts ; but it is obstructed by a shifting bar. In
1846, 180 sail of 8343 tons (124 being under 50 t.
each), and 2 steamers of 40 t., belonged to the
port, which begins at Hob Hole, and has Salt-
fleet, Wainfleet, Spalding, for sub-ports; and
the tonnage Inwards and Outwards, including
repeated voyages was 'coastwise,' 1431 sail of
65,237, and 1209 of 53,707 tons (besides 50 steamers
of 3388 and 53 of 3548 t.), from 'colonies' 1 of
234 t., from and to 'foreign ports,' 13 of 2681
and 1 of 60 t. (besides 25 foreigners of 1688 and
10 of 908 t.) ; imports (val. Z.), oil cake, hemp,
coal, timber, iron, etc., exports (val. Z.),
grain, oats, wool, woad (for the clothier), etc. ;
total customs 40,064Z. Boston P. L. Union con-
tains the pars. etc. of Algarkirke, Benington,
Bicker, Boston, Brothertoft, Butterwick, Carring-
ton, Fishtoft, Fosdyke, Frampton, Freiston, Frith
Ville, Kirton, Langrick Ville, Leake, Leverton,
Sibsey, Skirbeck, Skirbeck Quarter, Sutterton,
Swineshead, Thornton-le-Fen, Wigtoft, Wrangle,
Wyberton with Dogdvke, and W. Ville; acres
96,950, pop. 34,680, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7)
3691 (out-door 3149), expend. 13,511Z., prop,
rated 195,700Z. Sup. Registry comprises the same
up to Wyberton, with Holland-Fen ; pop. 34,681
+ 443. The New County Court district corre-
sponds with the Registry. Mkt. D. Wed. corn,
wool; cattle, at Wide Bargate. Fairs, 4 May,
11 Aug. 30 Nov. 1-3 Dec. 11 Dec. horses, cattle."
BOSTON, or THORPE ARCH, tnshp. ( ) with
Clifford Bramham par. W. R. York. 2 m. SE. of
\Vetherby-194, in the valley of R. Wharfe, has,
since the discovery of a spring in 1744, become a
fashionable watering place. Living, a Cur. (Yk.)
val. 146Z., patr. Vicar.
Boston House (6) near Plumstead, NW. Kent,
^ B. House (7) 1 m. NW. of Brentford, S.
Middlesex, Col. Clitheroe. B. Farm, i m. NE.
Bosvathock (31) 2 m. SSW. of Penryn, W. Cornw.
Bosvcrran (32) near Penryn, W. Cornwall.
Bosvic/o (31) near Truro, W. Cornwall, S.
Bosweddan Tin Wine (33) near St. Just, W.
Cornwall, employs 90 hands, and is 75 fath. deep.
P. BOSWELL'S, ST., par. Castleton-Melrose dist.
N. Roxburgh. 3 m. SE. of Melrose-35, on B. Burn
and R. Tweed, under Eildon hills, contains Les-
sudden. Size 3 m. by 2, or 2600 acres, arable
and cultivated ; pop. 747 + 4 ; real prop. 46647. ; for
poor 2567. Living (Presb. Selkirk) val. 212/.,
patr. Duke of Buccleugh, chief heritor, whose
hounds hunt here ; church, found, by St. Boisel, a
monk of Melrose. Fair, 18 July, the largest in
these parts, horses, cattle, sheep, lambs, wool, etc.
BOSWIDDY hmlt. (33) St. Earth's par. W.
Cornwall, 3 m. NE. of Mazarion-280.
BOSWORTH, HusBAND's,par. (63) Gartreehund.
S. I^eicester. 6 m. E. of Lutterworth-89, on Rs.
Welland and Avon, near Union canal tunnel (1170
yds. long). Acres 3870 ; pop. 953 + 9 ; poor r. 5697.
(Mkt. Harboro' U.) ; real prop. 78597. ; charities
92/., of which Bryan's for education 157. All
Saints Rect. (Pet.) val. 9297., patr. Rev. J. T.
Wayne sometime held by Spencer, the fight-
ing Bp. of Norwich ; church, damaged by light-
ning 1755, when a breach 12 yds. long was made
in the wall. B. Hall, F. F. Turville, Esq., is an
P. M. BOSWORTH, MARKET, par. (63) Spar-
kenhoe hund. W. Leicester, a polling place, llm.
W. of Leicester, 106 from London, near N. West.
rail, and Ashby canal, containing Barton-in-the-
Beans, Osbaston, and Carlton, Shenton, Barles-
ton, and Sutton-Cheney curs., is celebrated in
history for the final battle of the Roses, fought
at B. Field on Redmoor, 22 Aug. 1485, between
Rich. III. and the Earl of Richmond (Hen. VII.).
Acres 7220; pop. 2539, of town 1135, some
stocking knitters; houses 205, with 6 chapels,
bank, Dixie's gram, school (9807.), found. 1593,
and rebuilt 1827, with 4 scholarships of 807., at
either university, of which Johnson was some-
time usher, under Blackwall, who wrote an ' In-
troduction to the Classics ;' and Dawes, author of
'Miscellanea Critica,' was a pupil, Roberts's
almshouses (247.), and Union poor house; poor r.
5607. on 50227. ; real prop. 65137. ; charities 10307.,
with a share for 6 widows in Carlton hosp. York.
St. Peter Rect. (Pet.) with the Curs, above, val.
903/., patr. Sir W. W. Dixie, Bt. of B. Hall, who
owns the manor, once belonging to the Hastings
fam. ; church, ancient, with fine spire and tombs
of the Dixies. T. Simpson, a self-taught genius,
who became professor of mathematics at the
Woolwich military academy was a native, and is
buried at Sutton church. At B. Field, now a mea-
dow, is Richard's well, covered over by R. Smith,
Esq., of Sutton Ho. 1812, with an inscription by
Dr. Parr ; near it is Dickon's nook, Crown hill,
etc. Mkt. Bosworth P. L. Union, contains the pars,
etc. of Bagworth, Barleston, Cadeby, Carlton,
Congerston, Dadlington, Desfordj Gopsall, Ibstock,
Kirk I >y Mallory, Markfield, Market Bosworth,
Nailston, Newbold Verdon, Norton, Orton-on-
the-Hill, Peckleton, Ratby, Shackerston. Shen-
ton, Stanton-under-Bardon, Thornton, Twycross,
with Barton-in-the-Beans, Bilston, Odston, Os-
baston, and Upton ; acres 39,456 ; pop. 13,600,
cases relieved (yr. 1846-7) 1424 (out-door 1321),
expend. 58077., prop, rated 69,5287. Sup. Registry
comprises the same up to Twycross, with Coal-
ville, Sibson, Sutton-Cheney ; pop. 13,600. The
New County Court district corresponds with the
Registry. Mkt. D. Wed. Fairs, 8 May, horses,
cattle; "10 July, the cherry fair; 2 Oct. and 2
weeks before Martinmas.
BOTALLICK (31) 4m. ESE. of Lostwithiel-246,
Mid. Cornwall, on R. Trebaut. g3 BOTALLICK
(33) St. Just's par. 6 m. WNW. of Penzance-281,
W". Cornwall, has tin and copper mines (employing
190 hands), one of which runs out 90 fath. under
the sea ; and also 6 druid. circles near each other.
Iron ores, bismuth, cobalt, chalcedony, jasper,
garnet, asbestos, etc., are found.
BOTANY-BAY hmlt. (7) Enfield par. NE. Mid-
dlesex, 3 m. NE. of Chipping- Barnett-11.
BOTARIE par is joined to CAIRNIE, Aberdeen.
BOTCHERBY tnshp. ( ) Carlisle city, JV. Cum-
brlnd. Pop. 125 ; real prop. 1631Z.
BOTCHERGATE tnshp. ( ) Carlisle city, N.
Cumbrlnd. Pop. 5460.
BOTCHESTON hmlt. (63) Ratby par. Mid. Lei-
cester. 5 m. E. of Mkt.-Bosworth-106. Pop. 37.
BOTEGWELL tnshp. (79) Abergele par. A r . Den-
bigh, near Abergele-214. Pop. 113.
BOTEND (52) 3 m. SW. of Bedford-50, W. Beds.
P. BOTESDALE, i. C. BoTOLPH's DALE, hmlt.
(50) Redgrave par. N. Suffolk, 6 m. WNW. of
Eye-89, a polling place (for W. Sufk.~), and once
a mkt. town. Acres 540 ; pop. 633 ; houses 123,
in one street, with a bridewell, gram, school
(found. 1576 by Sir N. Bacon, with 6 exhibitions
at Corp. Christi Coll. Camb.) close to the church.
St. Botolph Cur. with Redgrave ; church, later
eng. restored, with tombs of Bacon, Ch. Justice
Holt, and others. B. Lodge, J. Amys, Esq.
BOTH-HERGEST'S tnshp. (56) Kington, W.
Hereford. 2 m. SW. of Kington-154. Pop. 244 + 9.
BOTH KENNAR par. 4 m. NNE. of Falkirk-24,
E. Stirling, on the Frith of Forth, contains Car-
ronshore. Size 1 m. by 1J, or 1400 acres,
flat and well cultivated; pop. 849, decreasing;
real prop. 4300Z. ; for poor 1347. Living (Presb.
Stirl.) val. 2027., patr. J. Daiy-is, Esq.
BOTHAL par. ( ) E. Morpeth ward, SE.North-
mbrld. 2 m. NE. of Morpeth-289, on R. Wans-
beck, in the midst of fine country, contains
Ashington, Longhirst, Old Moor, and Pegsworth,
with the keep and other remains of the castle built
by the Bertrams. Acres 8200, with coal mines ;
pop. 800, of B.-Demesne 249 + 2; poor r. 477.
(Aforp. U.); real prop. 68957., charities 257., of
which Causey Park school 257. St. Andrew Rect.
(Durh.) with Sheepwash and Hebburn Cur., val.
13077., patn Duke of Portland (who has the barony
through the Cavendishes), and Ogle of Causey
park, of whose fam. there are tombs in the
church. The Cockley park tower, an old seat
of the Bertrams and Ogles, and the vestiges of
Our Ladv chapel, are by the river.
Botham Hall (81) 7 m. NW. of Chapel-le-Frith,
BOTHAMSALL par. (82)) Bassetlaw wap. N.
Notts. 4 m. NW. of Tuxford-137, near Castle hill
barrow. Acres 1630, part in hops ; pop. 325 ;
poor r. 1577. (E. Retford U.) 5 real prop. 17707. ;
charities 27. St. Mary Cur. (Line.) val. 527.,
patr. Duke of Newcastle.
BOTHEL tnshp. ( ) with Threapland, Torpen-
how par. W. Cumbrld. 4 m. W. of Irebv-304.
Pop. 445 + 4, lime burners, etc. ; poor r. 997. ^Cock-
ermo. U.) ; real prop. 26387.
BOTHENHAMPTON par. (17) Lother's lib. Brid-
port div. W. Dorset. 1 m. SE. of Bridport-135, on
the harbour. Acres 600; pop. 533+11; poor r.
1897. (Bridp. U.) ; real prop. 29707. Holy Trinity
Cur. (Sal.) val. 467., patr. Sir M. II. Nepean, Bt.
P. &. BOTHWELL par. Middle ward, 2V. Lanark.
9 m. SE. of Glasgow-44, on Rs. Clyde and Calder,
and Watling Street, near the famous B. Brig,
and moor (now cultivated), where the Duke of
Monmouth defeated the Covenanters 1671), cou-
tains Bellshill, Holyton, and Uddingston, and the
walls (234 by 92), round towers, etc. of the castle,
which was the head of a barony under the Mur-
rays, Aymer de Valence, Douglases (who found.
a small priory on Blantyre crag), Crichtons, Hep-
burns, and Stewarts the last of whom was
Bothwell in ' Old Mortality.' Size 6 m. by 3,
abounding with coal, iron, freestone, and mill-
stone ; pop. 11,175 + 563, of town 490, colliers and
weavers; real prop. 35,2077., of which 11,6827. on
mines, and 9473/. on iron works; for poor 11567.
Living (Presb. Hamilton) val. 2837., patr. Duke
of Hamilton ; church, built 1833, near the old one
which was collegiate. B. Haugh belonged to Jas.
Hamilton, who shot the Regent Murray. B.
Castle, Lord Douglas; Woodhall, Campbell of
Islay; Lanchope was a seat of the Muirheads.
The old bridge which was 12 ft. broad, has been
widened to 34, and otherwise altered ; the scenery
on " Bothwell Banks," of the song, and of the
vale of Clyde from the hill, is very fine. Alton,
the botanist, was a native.
Bothwell Bum, is under B. Hill, in SE. Had-
dinqton. a peak in Lammermoor.
BOTLEY tythg. (13) Cumnor and N. Hinksey
pars. N. Berks. 1 m. W. of Oxford-54. Pop. 64.
igaT BOTLEY hmlt. (7) Chesham par. SE. Bucks.
1 m E. of Chesham-29. Pop. 499 ; real prop.
P. BOTLEY par. (11) Upper Mainsbridge hand.
S. Hants, a station on S. West. rail. 4 m. SW.
of Bishop's Waltham-65, on R. Hamble. Acres
3090 ; pop. 904 + 18, in a good flour and timber
trade ; poor r. 3257. (S. Stoneham U.) ; real
prop. 37277. All Saints Rect. (Wine.) val. 310/.,
patr. Duke of Rutland ; church, with an old
font. B. Grange, G. Eyre, Esq.; B. Hill, J.
Jenkyns, Esq. Mkt. for grain, cattle, every other
Tu. Fairs, Shrove Tu. Whit Tu. Tu. before Bar-
tholomew's day, 20 Feb. 28 May, cheese ; 23 July,
20 Aug. 13 Nov. cattle. tgsT BOTLEY hmlt. (54)
Ullenhall chplry. W. Warwick. 1 m. NNW. of
Botleyhill House (6) 8 m. SSE. of Croydon,
E. Surrey, stands on a point 880 ft. above the sea.
and has an oblong roman camp on it.
BOTLEYS (8) 2 m. SW. of Chertsey, NW.
Surrey, is a Cur. (Winch.) val. 30Z. patr. Trustees.
B. Park, B. Hall, Esq. commanding an extensive
BOTLOE HUNDRED (43) NW. Gloucester, con-
tains the pars, of Bromsberrow, Dymock, Kempley,
Newent, Oxenhall, Pauntley, Taynton, Upleadon,
and part of Rudford ; acres 25,310, pop. 7050,
BOTOLPH-BRIDGE par. (64) Norman Cross
hund. N. Hunts. 2 m. SW. of Peterboro', near R.
Nen, was an old seat of the Draytons, Lovells,
and Shirleys. All Saint sRect. with Oortn Longue-
ville ; church, in ruins.
(45) E. Claydon par. N. Bucks. 3 m. SW. of Wins-
BOTOLPH (ST.)-WITHOUT-ALDGATE, or E.
SMITHFIELD, lib. (1) Tower div. of Ossulstone
hund. E. London, includes the Royal Mint, part
of St. Catherine's dock and the dock Ho. Acres
32 ; pop. 3627 ; poor r. 41667. (E. London U.) ;
real prop. 34,975Z. Living, with St. Botolph
BotolpVs, St. (38) 1 m. W. of Milford, S. Pem-
broke. A. Stokes, Esq., near Pill priory,
TOPH'S (9), 2 m. SSE. of Steyning, S.
a Vic. with Bramber.
BOTREAI, tnshp. (79) Llanfairtalhaiarn par. N.
Denbigh. 4 m. S. of Abergele-214. Pop. 106.
P. BOTRIPHDJIE par. 5 m. SW. of Keith-ISP,
Mid. Banff, in Strath Isla, which is well wooded.
Size 4 m. by 3i, with limestone ; pop. 714 ; real prop.
41101. ; for poor 847, Living (Presb. of Strath-
bogie) val. 1797., patr. Earl of Fife. B. House, .
BOTTALOG (59) 2 m. SE. of Towyin-217, SW.
BOTTEGIR-BACH ext. par. (75) Edernion hund.
NE. Merioneth. 6 m. NW. of Corwen-194. Pop. 3.
BOTTESFORD. or BoxswoRTH, par. (70) Fram-
land hund. NE. Leicester. 13 m. NNE. of Melton
Mowbray-105, on Grantham canal and R. Devon,
containing Easthorpe and Normanton, in the vale
of Belvoir, was one of the lordships given by the
Conqueror to R. de Todeni, and now belongs to
the Dukes of Rutland. Acres 5010 ; pop. 1375 +
5 ; poor r. 1927. (Grantham U.) ; real prop. 89277.
St. Mary Rect. (Pet.) val. 9937., patr. Duke of
Rutland, of whose fam. this is the burial place,
the church, which is large and cruciform, con-
taining tombs of the first eight earls, and brasses
of H. de Codyngtoun a priest (1404, canopied) and
BOTTESFORD par. (86) E. Manley wap. N.
Lincoln. 6 m. W. of Brigg-155, contains Ashby,
Burringham, E. Butterwick, Holme, and Yaddle-
thorpe. Acres 7470 ; pop. 1586 + 36, of town
153; poor r. 117. (Brigg U.) ; real prop. 32587.
St. Peter Vic. with Messingham.
BOTTESLOW tnshp. (72) Stoke-on-Trent par.
N. Stafford, near Newcastle-150. Pop. 80.
P. BOTTISHAM par. (51) Staine hund. SE'.
Cambridge. 6 m. ENE. of Cambridge-50, a petty
sess. town, containing Lode and Longmeadow,
was much burnt in 1712, and has at Anglesea
traces of the priory found, by Hen. I. Acres 4700,
part heath ; pop. 1497 + 9 ; poor r. 10747. (New-
market U.) ; real prop. 62827. ; charities 6897., of
which 4797. to Rutland hosp., 1337. to Fleming's,
367. to Ravell's school. Holy Trinity Vic. (Ely)
val. 2687., patr. Trin. Coll. Camb. ; church, early
eng. with tombs of A. de Beckingham, and Soanie
Jenyns of B. Hall, now seat of Rev. J. Jenyns.
Bottle, or Battle, Hill. See Botleyhill Ho. Surrey.
BOTTLE-BRIDGE. See BoTOLPH-BRiDGEj/Timte.
iJiP B. -CLAYDON. See BOTOLPH - CLAYDON.
fliP B.-END (48) Lexden hund. E. Essex, 1 m.
SW. of Colchester-51.
BOTTLESFORD (14) 7 m. ESE. of Devises-89,
BOTTOM ( ) 8 m. S. of Cockermo', S. Cumlirld.
. Farm (13) 5 m. E. of Lambourn, W. Berks.
Steyning, S. Sussex, is
B. Farm (7) 1J m. W. of High Wycombe,
S. Bucks. igT B. Farm 5 m. NW. of the above.
B. House (46) 2 m. SE. of Tring, W. Herts.
B. House (72) 4 m. SE. of Leek, N. Staf-
ford. on the site of Ashcomb, the seat of the
Sneyds, was the name of the Joliffes' old seat.
BOTTOM'S hmlt. (71) Blidworth par. Mid. Notts.
5 m. SE. of Mansfield-138. Pop. 250.
BOTTOMSTEAD (13) 3 m. S. of Isley-54, W.
BOTTON. See WRAY-WITH-BOTTON, Lancash.
Botton Head ( ) 12 m. E. of Lancaster, N.
Lancash. near B. Fell and the Cross of Greet.
^- B. Head, or Grecnhoe ( ) 6 m. SE. of Stokes-
ley, N. R. York. 1485 ft. high*
BOTTWNOG, i. e. BOD-WYNNOG, par. (75) Gaf-
flogian hund. S W. Carnrtm. 5 m. SSW. of Kevin
-240. Pop. 191 + 1 ; poor r. 887. (Pwllheli U.) ;
real prop. 5127. ; charities, Bp. Rowland's gram.
school 2067., others 67. St. Beuno Cur. with
BOTUS FLEMING par. (25) S. East hund. E.
Cornwall, 2 m. NW. of Saltash-220. belonged to
the Flemings of Stoke-Fleming. Acres 1290 (or
D95) ; pop. 250 ; poor r. 1537. (St. German's U.) ; j
real prop. 17657. ; charities 37. Living, a Rect.
(Exet.) val. 190/., patr. . Moditonham, W.
BOTWELL limit. (7) Hayes par. E. Middlesex,
4 m. SE. of Uxbridge-15. "Pop. 373.
Bouderdale ( ) 9 m. NE. of Ravenglass, S.
Cumbrld. See BOWDERDALE.
BOUGH BEACH (6) 7 m. W. of Tonbridge-30,
W. Kent, on S. East. rail.
BOUGHROOD, or BACHRHYD, par. (56) Pains-
castle hund. S. Radnor. 4 m. WSW. of Hay-154,
near the Bach-rhyd, or ' little ford ' of the Wye.
Pop. 322 ; poor r. 2227. (Hay U.) ; real prop.