form act, including the old boro' (which contains
Llanfaes in St. David's par., part of St. John's
and St. Mary's chplry.), and the ext. par. districts
of Castle Hill and Christ's College, no. of elec-
tors 342 (101. houses 1229) ; and is governed by
a mayor, recorder, 4 aid., 12 council., with the
style of ' bailiff, aid., and burgesses of boro' of B.,'
and a revenue of 50GZ, Extent of boro' 2 m. by 3,
formerly divided into 11 wards exclusive of Tre-
castle ward, in Llywell par. about 10 m. off; pop.
of boro' 5701, of town 5412 + 387, in the woollen,
leather, and hop trade, or manufact. Houses
1118, irregularly built, with 3 churches, 5 chapels ;
county hall and mkt. house ; new assize courts b.
1840-3 for 12,000 by Wyatt and Brandon, in-
cluding an ionic crown-court 60 ft. by 45, and 35
high ; boro' hall, county and boro' gaols, 4 banks,
savings bk. (28,958/. from 1299 depositors), large
barracks, theatre, infirmary, agricultural society
(1755) ; 7-arched bridge on R. Usk (with a fine
view), one on R. Tarrell, and 3 on R. Honddhu ;
Christ Ch. College, found, on the site of a black
priory by Hen. VIII., of which only a small half-
ruined early eng. church remains, with 23 stalls,
stone cross, parts of the chapter-room, refectory,
etc. and tombs of Sir D. Gam's father, several
bishops, Chancellor Lucy, etc. and a gram,
school (82/.) attached, in which Jones, the county
historian and a lawyer here, was educated ; Inde-
pendent training coll. ; Powell's Boughrood school,
in the Struet or Via Montana; Gam's hosp. (48/.),
almshouses, and Union poor house. Assd. taxes
1259/.; poor r. 2030Z. on 15,654Z. ; real prop.
24,941/. ; charities 517/., of which Powell's is 26iC.
St. John Vic. (St. Dav.) val. with St. Mary C .
1601., patr. Archdeacon; St. John's church, ea'lv
eng. but much altered, 199 ft. long, was part of
the priory (which was val. at 113/.), and has a
tall spire, with a saxon font, guild or trades
chapels, and many tombs, St. Mary ch. is later
eng. with norinan remains, and a guild chapel. St
David or Llanfaes Vic. val. 1., patr. Archdn. Of
St. Elyned's chapel at Slwch and two others there
are no remains. The Ely tower (where Bp. Morton
of Ely was a prisoner) in the ' Castle ' inn grounds
marks the site of the old castle and chapel ; near
it is B. Priory, seat of Marq. Camden (who is
Baron Brecknock), built with the priory ruins by
Sir C. Price (whose son Richard was Shakspere's
' Sir Hugh Evans'), and where Ch. I. was received
after Naseby. Two beautiful walks are laid out by
Rs.Usk and Honddhu ; at Newton, seat of Archd
Davies, Sir D. Gam, the faithful servant of Hen. V.
and the ' Fluellen ' of Shakspere, was born.
Aelvanog, Pont Wilym, Cwrt Sim Young be-
longed to the ITavards, as did Frwdgrech, now
scat of S. Church, Esq. Hugh Price, founder of
Jesus Coll. Oxon. was a native (d. 1574) ; Rhys the
poet and philologist died at Clynhir; and Mrs.
Siddons was born at the ' Shoulder of Mutton ' inn
(1755-1831). For other seats, the antiquities, ca-
nal, etc. see the county. Breck. P. L. Union, con-
tains the pars. etc. of Aberyscir, Battle, Breck-
nock (St. David, St. John, and St. Mary), Cant-
reff and Nantdu, Cathedine, Cray, Garth brengy,
Llanddetty, Llanddew, LJandefa'logfach, Llande-
falle, Lla'ndilorfan, Llanfigan, Llanfihangelfe-
chanh, Llanfihangel (Nantbran and Talyllyn"),
Llanfillo, Llanfrynach, Llangasty Talyllyn, L'lan-
gorse, Llanhamlach, Llansaintfread, Llanspyddyd,
Llanywern, Merthyr Cynog, Talachddu 1'rallong
with Glyn, Glyntawe, Llandefailog-Tre-Graig,
Maescar, Modrydd, Penpont, Senny, Trawscoed,
Traian (Glas and Mawr), Venny-Vach, and
Ysclydach ; pop. 17,689, cases relieved (yr. 1846
-7) 1785 (out-door 1481), expend. 9598/., prop,
rated 71,1067. Sup. Registry, comprises the same
up to Trallong, with Bettws-Penpont, Callwen,
St. Illtid, Llywell, and Rhydybryw ; pop. 17,701
+ 13: 8 deaths from cholera 1849. The New
County Court district corresponds with the Union.
5< BREC. ARCHDEACONRY, dioc. of St. David's,
contains the deaneries of Builth, Elwell, and of
First, Second, and Third (or Haye) parts of Bre-
con. The DEANERY includes the benefices in
Crickhowell, Dewynnock, Merthyr, Penkelly, Tal-
garth hunds. Brecon., Ewyas-Lacy Herefd., with
Capelyffyn cur., Dulas c., Ewyas Harold c., Glas-
bury c., Gwenddwr c., Haye vie., Llanelien rect.,
Llanigenc., Llanwensc., Longtownc., Oldcastlec.,
Talgarth v. Christ Ch. Chapter includes a dean
and treasurer (the bishop), precentor, chancellor,
11 prebendaries (II. to 607.), but is to be gradu-
ally reduced, and then abolished. Mkt. Ds. Wed.
Sat. Fairs, 1st Wed. March, 5 July, 9 Sept
16 Nov. ; also May, 16 Nov. for hiring. Races,
Sept. on an oblong course of about 1 m.
Breckon Hill ( ) 8 m. NW. of Stockton, SE.
BRECOXGILL hmlt. ( ) Coverham tnshp. N. R.
York. 2 m. SW. of Middleham-232.
BKKCONHILL tnshp. ( ) Arthuret par. N.
Cumbrld. m. S. of Longtown-309. Pop. 373.
BREDBURY tnshp. (81) Stockpwt borough,
NE. C/uskire, 2 m. ENE. of Stockport-176, near
Peak forest canal. Acres 2730 ; pop. 3301 + 93 ;
poor r. 392/. (Stockp. U.) ; real prop. 12,1917., of
which 14277. on mines ; charities 167. Living, a
Cur. (Ches.) val. 1307., pair. Crown and Bishop.
BREDE par. (5) Gostrow hund. Hastings rape,
E. Sussex, 5 m. N. of Hastings-64, on B. River,
which runs down to the Rye. Acres 5700, part in
hops; pop. 1151 + 9, some in an iron foundry;
poor r. 7327. (Rye U.) ; real prop. 57247. St.
George Rect. (Chic.) val. 7027., patr. T. Frewen,
Esq. ; church, has a brass (1483).
BREDEXBURY par. (55) Broxash hund. NE.
Hereford. 3 m. NW. of Bromyard-125, near B.
Hill camp. Acres 540, part in hops ; pop. 46 ;
poor r. 337. (Bromyd. U.) ; real prop. 6697. Living,
a Rect. (Ileref.) val. 557., patr. C. Dutton, Esq. of
BREDFIELD par. (50) Wilford hund. SE. Suf-
folk. 3 m. N. of Woodbridge-77. Acres 1630 ;
pop. 4G8 ; poor r. 248/. (Woodb. U.) ; real prop.
J 1 1 */. ; charities 81. St. Andrew Vic. (Norw.)
val. 2407., patr. Ld. Chancellor ; church, has brass
of L. Farrington (1611). B. Hall, F. White, Esq.
P. BRKDGAR par. (6) Milton hund. Scray lathe,
N. Kent, 8 m. W. of Feverham-47. Acres 1810,
part in hops ; pop. 540 + 3 ; poor r. 3337. (Milton
U.) ; real prop. 28147. ; charities 287. St. J. Bap-
tist Vic. (Cant.) val. ISO/., patr. Sir E. Deering,
Bt. ; church, made collegiate by Rob. de Bred-
gate (Rich. II.), has a saxon doorway and a brass.
B. House, .
BREDHURST par. (6) Eghorne hund. Aylesford
lathe, N. Kent, 4 m. NE. of Maidstone-34. Acres
400 ; pop. 131 ; poor r. 577. (Hollingbourn U.) ;
real prop. 551/. St. Peter Cur. (Cant.) val. 1017.,
patr. Rector of Hollingbourn ; small old church.
BREDICOT par. (54) Lower Oswaldslow hund.
Mid. Worcest. 3 m. E. of Worcester-Ill, on Bir-
mingh. and Glouc. rail. Acres 430 ; pop. 53 ;
poor r. 257. (Pershore U.) ; real prop. 13327. St.
James Rect. (Wore.) val. 1207., patr. Dean and
BREDOX par. (44) Upper and Mid. Oswaldslow
hunds. S. Worcest. 3 m. NE. of Tewkesbury-103,
on R. Avon, and Birmg. and Glouc. rail., contains
Hardwick, with Mitton, Kinsham, Westmancote,
Norton-by-Bredon, and Cutsdean, and had a small
priory found, by the Mercian kings, which was
afterwards given to the see of Worcester. Acres
6130, rising 900 ft. at B. Hill Camp, which com-
mands a fine view of the vale of Evesham, Mal-
verns, etc.; pop. 1567 + 24, of hmlt. 478, some
stocking weavers ; poor r. 4837. (Tewkesb. U.) ;
real prop. 10,5967. ; charities 3477., of which Han-
cock's free school 1167., and Reed's almsh. 1437.
St. Giles Rect. (Wore.) val. with Norton and Cuts-
dean, 14987., patr. J. Jones, Esq. ; church, and rec-
tory, both ancient, the first has a saxon-porch,
and tomb of the deprived Bp. Prideaux. Wol-
lashill hall, the ancient seat of the Hanfords.
Inula helenium elecampane, cnicus eriophorus
wool-headed plum-thistle, several vetches, and
other plants, are found on the hill, which is
green to the top, and is a meet for the Worcest.
BREDWARDINE par. (56) Webtree hund. W.
Hereford. 7 m. SW. of Weobly-145, on R. Wye.
Acres 3890 ; pop. 409 ; poor r. 711. (Hay U.) ;
real prop. 28277. ; charities 12587., of which Jar-
vis's for poor, in physic, etc. 12537., reported to be
very injurious in its operation. St. Andrew Vic.
(Heref.) val. 1907., patr. Rev. N. Newton, vicar.
B. Castle, in ruins, belonged to the Bredwardines,
of whom was the "doctor profundus," Thomas,
Abp. of Canterbury in 1349.
BREDY (17) 3 m. SE. of Bridport-135, W.
Dorset, on R. Bredy or Bride, which runs to the
Channel, near Bridport harbour.
BREDY, LITTLE, par. (17) Uggscombe par.
W. Dorset. 6 m. W. of Dorchester- 120, at the
source of the above, near Bridehead. Acres 2190,
with stone quarries ; pop. 196 ; poor r. 567. (Dor-
chest. U.) ; real prop. 24067. ; charities 37. St.
Michael Cur. with Long B. as below, (af B.,
LONG, par. Eggerton hund. 2 m. NW. of the
above, contains Upper Kingston. Acres 2000 ;
pop. 340 ; poor r. 2007. (Dorchest. U.) ; real prop.
31367. ; charities 87. St. J. Baptist Rect. (Sal.)
val. with LITTLE B. 6257., patr. K. Williams, Esq.
B. Hut, i m. N. on the downs.
BREE vil. (31") Bantry bar. Mid. Wexford, 4 m.
S. of Enniscortny.
BREEDOGE-BRIDGE hmlt. (9) French park
bar. NW. Roscomn. on B. River, which rises in
Castlereagh bar. and falls into Lough Gara, 1 m.
P. BREEDON-ON-THE-HILL par.(71)W.Goscoto
hund. NW. Leicest. 4 m. SW. of Castle Donington
-116, containing Staunton-Harrold, Tonge, Wil-
son, Worthington cur., and Newbold, had a priory
found. 1144, by Ferrers, Earl of Nottingham, and
given to the Shirleys. Acres, with Louut and
Griflydam, 6410, good, with limestone quarries,
oftnshp. 3010 ; pop. 2625, and 766 ; poor r. 4157.
(Shardlow U.) ; real prop. 43567., of which 10907.
on quarries; charities 557., of which Commins'
school 417. St. Mary and Hardulph Vic. (Pet)
val. 2057., patr. Earl of Stamford, who has the
manor ; church, on the hill, belonged to the
priory, and has tombs of the Shirleys.
Breelen Loch, 7 m. SE. of Straiton, SE. Ayr.
has some earth ruins on an isld.
BREEM. See BREAM, Gloucest.
Bregia and Bregmagia, in Meath, were around
Tara and Trim.
BREQOGE par. (16) Orrery and Kilmore bars.
N. Cork, close to Buttevant-146, which it joins.
Acres 1333, good, with bog and limestone ; pop.
441. Living, a Vic. with Buttevant. B. Castle,
J. Rogers, Esq., is ancient in part.
Bregmuin. See BRAWNEY BARONY, Western.
Brehar, or Bryer, Isld. one of the Scilly islds.
S W. Cornwall, near Trescow.
Brehon and Brehonnet Reefs, S. of R. Herm,
Channel Islds. E. side of Guernsey.
Breich Water, rises on the Lanark border, and
runs 10 m. NE. along the border of Linlthgw. and
Edinbro', to R. Almond, above Livingston.
Breiddon Hill, or Craig-ap- Wridden (60) on
the borders of Salop and Man.tgm.ry. near Cefn-y-
Castell and Moel-y-Golfa peaks, 5 m. NE. of
Welshpool on R. Severn, has a pillar to Rodney
and a camp on the top, and by some is identified
with the spot where Caractacus was finally de-
feated by 0. Scapula.
Breifne, or Brenny, Upper and Lower, two dis-
tricts of Old Ireland, the first includes Cavan,
the country of the O'Reillys, the second Leltrim,
of the O'Rourks. It extended also into Annaly,
or Longford, where it belonged to the O'Farrells.
BREIGHTMET tnshp. (89) Bolton-le- Moors par.
S. Lancash. 2 m. E. of Bolton-197. Acres 670 ;
pop. 1309 + 20 ; poor r. 1751 (Bolton U.) ; real
prop. 50097., of which 16207. on mines ; charities,
Roscow Fold school 207.
BREIGHTON-CUM-GUMBY tnshp. ( ) Bubwith
par. E. R. York. 4 m. NW. of Howden-180, on
R. Derwent, near Menthorpe ferry. Acres 2030,
part common ; pop. 220 + 2 ; poor r. 987. (Howden
U.) ; real prop. 16707.
BREINTON par. (43) Grimsworth hund. Mid.
Hereford. 2 m. W. of Hereford-134, on R. Wye,
contains Wareham, with UPPER B., 1 m. NVV.
Acres 1490, part common ; pop. 362 ; poor r. 1957.
(Heref. U.) ; real prop. 33497. ; charities 177., of
which 6Z. to Cook's school. St. Michael Cur.
(Heref.) val. 1097., patr. Dean. B. Court, .
BRELADE, ST., par. in Jersey, Channel Islds.,
contains Connerie on B. Bay, 1 m. W. of St.
Aubin's, to which it is the mother church. Pop.
2170. Living, a Rect. (Wine.) val. 1507., patr.
Governor ; church, ancient.
Bremenium of the Romans, a stipendiary town
on Watling St., is RIBCHESTER, Northmbrld. ;
Bremetonacte, is TUNSTALL, Lancash.
BREMHILL par. (34) Chippenham bund. N.
Wilts. 2 m. NW. of Calne-87, contains B. STUD-
LEY and 4 other hmlts., on the roman way to
Bath, and has a good prospect. Acres 5920 ; pop.
1550 + 3 ; poor r. 12947. (Calne U.) ; real prop.
75627. ; charities, Heath's 1077. St. Martin Vic.
(Sal.) val. with Foxham and Highway, 4067., patr.
Bishop, sometime held by Rev. Canon Bowles,
the poet, who wrote its history, and died here
1850 ; church, ancient, with stone font and cross,
3 brasses of the Bayntons, etc. (from 1516),
and tombs of the Hungerfords, whose old seat at j
Studley is now a farmhouse. Near Tytherton
grange is a moravian settlement, first established
BREMII.HAM, or COWAGE, par. (34) Malmes-
bury hund. NW. Wilts. 2 m. SW. of Malmesbury
-94. Acres 300 ; pop. 47 + 1 ; poor r. 157. (Malmesb.
U.) ; real prop. 6137. Living, a Rect. (Gl. and B.)
val. 1217., patr. Hon. and Rev. G. R. Bowles.
Brenanstown (26) near Cabinteely, SE, Dublin,
seat of G. Pirn, Esq.
BRENCHLEY AND HORSEMONDEX HUNDRED
(6) Aylesford lathe, S W. Kent, contains the pars,
of Brenchley, Horsemonden, and part of Lamber-
hurst ; acres 16,480, pop. 4164, houses 778.
P. BRENCHLEY par. in the above hund. 6 m.
ENE. of Tonbridge Wells-36, contains Matfield
Green and 5 other hmlts. Acres 8590, part in
hops; pop. 2472 ; poor r. 17757. (Tonbr. U.) ; real
prop. 93517.; charities 177. All Saints Tic. (Cant.)
val. 7497., patr. G. Courthorpe, Esq. ; church,
BRENDON par. (27) Sherwill par. N. Devon.
14 m. E. of Ilfracombe-202, on Bristol Channel,
a meet for N. Devon hounds, which hunt wild deer.
Acres 9470 ; pop. 271 + 1 ; poor r. 947. (Barnstaple
U.) ; real prop. 11627. St. Brendon Rect. (Exet.)
val. 1317., patr. J. Knight, Esq.
Brendon Hills (20) a loose, shelly, limestone
range, running up NW. to Quantock near Dunster,
W. Somerset., where british urns have been found.
BRENKLEY tnshp. ( ) Dinnington par. SE.
Northmbrld. 7 m. S. of Morpeth-289. Pop. 56 + 4.
Brennich River, another name for the Till above
Wooler, Northmbrld. gave name to the saxon
kingdom of Bernicia, which was N. of the Tyne.
Brenning River (57) runs into R. Teifi, near
Tregaron, SE. Cardigan.
Brent River (7) rises near Chipping Barnet, S.
Herts, and runs 16 m. SW. through Middlesex,
to the Thames at Brentford, its channel for the
last few miles being that of the Gd. Junction
canal. gg" Brent, or Brain, River (78) fall into
Menai straits, opposite Carnarvon, S. Anglesea.
BRENT-WITH-WRINGTON HUNDRED (23) N.
Somerset, contains the pars, of Berrow, East and
South Brent, Burrington, Lympsham, and Wring-
ton; acres 18,210, pop. 5188,'houses 1001. 33" B.,
EAST, par. (20) in the above hund. 5 m. WSW. of
Axbridge-130, on Brist. and Ex. rail, containing
Rooksbridge and Edingworth, near B. Knoll
camp, which rises 883 ft. and commands a fine
prospect, was given by Ina to Glastonbury, whose
abbots had a seat here. Acres 3180; pop. 849
+ 4 ; poor r. 5077. (Axbr. U.) ; real prop. 10,1087. ;
charities 37. St. Mary Vic. (Ba. and W.) val.
9027., patr. Bishop ; church, handsome, with spire
140 ft. high, painted windows and effigies. Many
remains have been found at Battleborough on the
BRENT ELEIGH, or ELY, par. (50) Babergh
hund. -S W. Suffolk, 7 m. NE. of Sudbury-54, was
once a mkt. town. Acres 1650 ; pop. 289 ; poor
r. 897. (Cosford U.) ; real prop. 24597. ; charities
907. of which Colman's almsh. 727. Living, a
Rect. (Ely) val. 3697., patr. Dr. Brown. B. Hall,
Sir F. Agar ; formerly of the Sheltons. rgT B.
PELHAM par. (47) Edwinstree hund. NE. Herts.
4 m. E. of Buntingford-31. Acres 1620; pop.
285 ; poor r. 3887, (Bp. Stortford U.) ; real prop.
18987. Living, a Vic. (Roch.) val. with Fur-
neux-Pelham 3207., patr. Treas. of St. Paul's.
^T B. STREET (7) 6 m. NW. of London, N.
Middlesex, near Hendon, on R. Brent, seat of S.
Price, Esq. formerly of the Whichcotes.
P. BRENT, SOUTH, par. (22) Stanborough
hund. S. Devon, once a mkt. town, 6 m. W. of
Totness-196, on S. Devon rail, and R. Avon, be-
longed to the abbots of Buckfastleigh, who had a
gallows here. Acres 10,180; pop. 1237; poor r.
4897. (Totn. U.) ; real prop. 7059/. ; charities 1397.
of which par. lands for maintenance of the " ar-
mour," poor, etc. 1147. St. Patrick Vic. (Exet.)
val. 8227., patr. Eev.N.Cole, vicar, gg" B., SOUTH,
par. (20) Brent hand. N. Somerset. 6 m. SW. of
Axbridge-130, on Br. and Exet. rail, contains
Week, and belonged to Glastonbury abbey. Acres
3210, rich pasture; pop. 1074 + 18; poor r. 57 U.
(Axbr. U.) ; real prop, 10,6917, ; charities 8/. St.
Michael Vic. (Ba, and W.) val. 5487., patr. Archd. of
Wells ; church, part norman with some curious
bench carvings, and a mon. of a Somerset, to whom
the manor was'granted at the dissolution. giTB.-
TOR par. (25) Tavistock hund. W. Devon. 4 m.
N. of Tavistock-207, on R. Lid, in a wild country
under a rugged peak which sometimes commands
a view of both channels. Acres 2810, with man-
ganese mines ; pop. 169 + 2 ; poor r. 531. (Tavist.
U.) ; real prop. 8617. St. Michael Cur. (Exet.)
val. 60/., patr. Duke of Bedford ; church, near the
head of the Tor, was built by a merchant to com-
memorate his deliverance from shipwreck, and
the way to it is so steep, that they say both
people and pastor are obliged to humble them-
selves on their hands and knees to get there. In
1809, died a women aged 109 yrs. who cut five
teeth a little before. ^ B. TOWN (3) Preston
par. N. Kent, near Faversham-47.
BRENTFORD-END hmlt. (7) Isleworth par. /S W.
Middlesex, li m. SW. of Brentford-7, had a chapel
of All Angels founded by Somerset physician to
P. M. BRENTFORD, NEW, or GREAT, or WEST,
par. (7) Elthorne hund. S. Middlesex, 7 m. WSW.
of London, 2 from Ealing on Gt. West, rail., the
county and election town, a petty sessions and poll-
ing place, and head qrs. of W. Midx. militia, near
the ford across R. Brent at its junction with the
Thames, where Ironside defeated the Danes 1016,
and the royalists were victorious under Ruthven,
who was created Earl B. Acres 230; pop. 2174
+ 9, in a good malt and flour trade ; houses 384,
with 3 chapels, new townhall, bank, savings bk.
(35,7627. from 1362 depositors), soap factory, a
bridge reb. 1825 in place of the old one, Gd. Junc-
tion wharf, Lady Capel's boys' and P girls' school,
and Union p. house; poor r. 10017. on 60197.;
real prop. 90867. ; charities, see BALING. St.
Lawrence Vic. (Lon.) val. 283?., patr. Rector of
Hanwell, sometime held by J. II. Tooke ; church,
a plain building rebuilt (except the tower) 1764,
has the arms of Maurice Berkeley, founder of the
old church, brass of Redman, and tombs of the
Clitherows of Boston House (who have the manor),
of Attorney- General Noy, of Hoi well by Flaxman,
of Tooke's father, Gifford the actor, and others.
A chapter of the garter was held here in 1445,
and in 1558, six martyrs were burnt at the stake.
Sion House, seat of Duke of Northumberland.
Brent. P. L. Union, contains the pars. etc. of
Acton, Brentford (New), Chiswick, Ealing, Green-
ford, Hanwell, Heston, Isleworth (where poor ho.
is), Perivale, Twickenham ; acres 20,510, pop.
37,054, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7) 7323 (out-door
4965), expend. 14,4717., prop, rated 146,6647. Sup.
Iteffistry comprises the same with Hounslow ; pop.
37,053 + 445; births (1845) 1039 (522 being
females, 58 illegit.) deaths 698 marriages 206,
of which 1 18 persons signed with marks ; 125 and
" many" more deaths from cholera in 1849. The
New County Court district corresponds with the
Registry. Mkt. D. Tu. Fairs, 17-9 May, cattle ;
BRENTFORD, OLD, or EAST, chplry. Ealing
par. opposite the above. Pop. 5058. St. George
Vic. (Lond.) val. 1417., patr. Vicar.
BRENTINGBY chplry. (64 or 70) Wyfordby par.
NE. Leicest. 3 m. E. of Melton Mowbray-105, on
R. Wreak and Oakham canal. Pop. 54 ; poor r.
27/. (M. Mowbray U.) ; real prop. 20341. Living,
a Cur. with Thorpe Arnold.
BRENTSJDE (7) 3 m. N. of Brentford, Mid.
Middlesex, on R. Brent.
P. BRENTWOOD, or BURNTWOOD, chplry. (1)
S. Weald par. SIV. Essex, a station on E.
Union rail. 18 m. from London, 10 SW. of Chelms-
ford, a petty sessions and formerly a mkt. and
assize town. Acres 730 ; pop. 2362 + 72 ; houses 347,
old and irregular, with 8 chapels, townhall (now
a coachmaker's), free gram, school founded 1537 by
Sir A. Browne (15327.), almshs. Crown inn (very
ancient), and co. lunatic asyl. (building in tudor
style) ; poor r. 6947. on 48977. (Billericay U.) ; real
prop. 52617. St. Thomas a Becket Cur. (Roch.)
val. 1247., patr. C. T. Tower, Esq. of Weald Hall,
near which are traces of a camp ; new church, b.
1835, with square tower (the old one, b. 1221
(early eng.), being used for a national school).
Thorndon Hall, Lord Petre. Fairs, 18 July, 15 Oct.
BRENZETT par. (4) Aloesbridge hund. Shepway
lathe, SE. Kent, 4 m. NW. of Romney-70, in
Romney marsh. Acres 1704; pop. 228; poor r.
627. (Romney M. U.); real prop. 46927. St.
Eanswith Vic. (Cant.) val. 737., patr. Rev. W.
BREOCK, ST., par. (30) Pyder hund. Mid.
Cornwall, contains part of Wadebridge-239, on R.
Camel, in Pawton manor, which is the ' Domesdy.'
name. Acres 7860 (or 6875), clay, slate, etc. ;
pop. 1733 + 8; poor r. 4977. (St. Colomb U.);
real prop. 83837. ; charities, Bridge estate. Living,
a Rect. (Exet.) val. 8597., patr. Sir W. Moles-
worth, Bt. M. P. of Pencarrow, who has the manor
thro' the Morioes. B. Beacon, or cromlech, com-
mands a fine view.
BREREHURST. See BRIERHURST, Stafford.
P. BRERETON vil. (62) Rugeley, Longdon, and
Armitage pars. E. Stafford. 1 m. SE. of Rugeley
-126. Pop. coal miners. Living, a Cur. (Lieu.")
val. 1207., patr. Rector.
BRERETON-CUM-SMETHWICK par. (80) North-
wich hund. SE. Cheshire, 2 m. NE. of Sandbach
-162, on R. Croke and Manch. and Birmg. rail,
belonged to the fam. of that name. Acres 4240 ;
pop. 667 + 6 ; poor r. 2967. (Congleton U.) ; real
prop. 74207. ; charities 277. of which 87. to free
school. St. Oswald Sect. (Ches.) val. 6817., patr.
Mrs. E. Royds ; church, later eng. with mons.
B. Hall, seat of A. Howard, Esq. near Bag- Mere
(which see), was built by Sir W. Brereton, the par-
liamentary general. Fairs, 2nd week Apr. and
Nov. for cattle.
BRERIACH, 7 m. SW. of Nairn, W. Nairn.
BRESSAY ISLAND par. opposite Lerwick on
Mainland, Shetland Islds. till lately included
Burra, Quarff and Noss islds. which now form a
separate par. Size 6 m. by 2, rocky ; pop. (total)
1798 + 10, of Bressay 904 + 16, chiefly fishermen,
some in the shite quarries; real prop. 11347.; for
poor 377. Living (Presb. Lerwick) val. 153/.,
patr. Earl of Zetland. Pictish and other remains
are visible, and Noss is joined to it by a rope
bridge. B. Sound, which has excellent an-
chorage, is a rendezvous for whalers and herring
boats ; and in 1653 and 1665 two large fleets
under Monk and the Earl of Sandwich lay here.
On the Unicorn rock at the N. entrance, a ship
of that name struck when in pursuit of Bothwell.
BRESSINOHAM par. (50) Diss hund. S. Norfolk,
2 m. W. of Diss-86, was the seat of the Pilk'ingT
tons. Acres 2300; pop. 647; poor r. 7687.
(Guiltcross U.) ; real prop 40557, ; charities 851. !
of which 137. to Barker's school. St. J. Baptist
Sect. (Norw.) val. 4557., patr. C. Bidwell, Esq.
BRETBY, or BRADLEY, chplry. (72) Repton par.
S. Derby. 3 m. E. of Burton-on-Trent-125, be-
longed to the Mowbrays (who had a castle here)
and the Berkeleys. Pop. 298 -, real prop. 26397.
Living a don. Cur. (Lich.) val. 807., patr. Earl
of Chesterfield of B. Park, in which are the
sites of the castle, and of a former noble seat
garrisoned for Ch. I. 1642, and taken down 1780.
Bretenlond, Brytenlond, Brtiiene, Britene, etc. of
the Saxons, is BRITAIN.
BRETFORD hralt. (53) Wolston par. E. War-
wick. 5 m. WNW. of Rugby-83, on R. Avon,
which has a broad ford here, was a mkt. town,
belonging to the Verdons, who had a gallows.
BRETFORTON par. (44) Upper Blackenhurst
hund, SE. Worcest. 4 m. E. of Evesham-95.
Acres 1530; pop. 511 + 9; poor r. 81 Z. (Evesh.
U.) ; real prop. 30697. ; charities 27, St. Leonard