Copyright
James A Sharp.

A new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) online

. (page 76 of 293)
Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 76 of 293)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


(new)andorph. houses; penetentiary, female luna-
tic asyl., Samaritan and other benevolent societies ;
military hosp. ; citv Union poor house (on site of
the mint), another at Clifton. Assd. taxes 33,6417. ;
poorr. 28,565Z. on 219,991Z. ; real prop. 332.167/.
of which 3859Z. on railway; charities 19,872Z., of
which Colston's 2915Z,, Whitson's 1829/., Pelo-
quin's 570Z., Merlott's for blind 455Z., Revnolds's
240Z,, Cole's 216/., Hart's 152/., Broadmead and
King st. chapels 5711., Stokecroft school, etc. 275Z.,
and various church lands 2223Z. Holy Trinity
cathedral at College Green, chiefly earlv eng. but
without a nave, was b. 1142-60, and is"203 ft. by
127, with a tower of 133 ft., some old figures on
the outside, stained windows, a stone pulpit, cha-
pels of the Newtons of Henham and others,
mons. of crusaders, the Berkeleys, and several
bishops, of Sterne's 'Eliza' (by Bacon), Mason's
wife (with his epitaph ' Take holy earth ' ),
Cowper's lady Hesketh, Love (with some lines
by Han. More), Bird (who painted the battle of
Chevy Chase), Powell the actor, N. Forster, etc.,
Southey (by Baily), and a Faith ' by Chantry ;
near it is part of the bps. palace (burnt 1831),
also the fine chapter ho. (46 ft. by 21) and porch,
part of the cloisters (which were 103 ft. square),
a lady chapel, all being remains of Fitzhar-
dinge's norman priory (where Gildas the historian
was buried), of which also a beautiful norman
gate is left, with a later eng. house and niched
figures over it. Livings,&\\ in dioc. (Gl.andBr.),
are as follow : those as far as St. Mary-le-port
constituting the 18 city in and out pars. ; All
Saints Vic. val. 160Z., patr. Dean and Chap.
church, has a good dome and mon. of Colston



BRI

who spent about 70,0007. on his native town
near it was the calender's house (where the ar-
chives were kept) ; St. Augustine Fie. 3207.,
Dean and Chap. ; Christ Church Rect. with St.
Ewins, 3907. Rev. J. Strickland, ch. (on the
site of one built as early as 1003), has lines on a
master baker, beginning ' Like to the baker's oven
is the grave ' ; St. John Rect. (with St. Law-
rence) 1507., Corporation ch. old, near the old
gate, has a brass (1478) ; St. Leonard Fie. with
St. Nicholas Vic. 2531., Dean and Chap. ; St. Mi-
chael Rect. 3727., Trustees ; St. Peter Rect. 2397.,
Corporation, ch. b. 1130, but much altered by
repairs, has a brass (1431), and a mon. of Savage
the poet, who died in the debtors' prison here
1743 ; StStephen Rect. 2927., Ld.Chancellor, ch.
later english (1472), with a beautiful tower of
125ft. was built by Shipward, a merchant ; Tem-
ple Vic. 3877., Corporation, ch., part norman,
found. 1145 by the Templars, has a tower of 114
ft., 3 ft. 9 in. out of the perpendicular, and 2
brasses (1395); St. Werburgh Rect. 707., Ld.
Chancellor, ch., where english litany was first
read 1543, has a brass (1546), and mon. of Thorn-
ton who founded a gram, school ; St. James Cur.
5517., Trustees, ch. part norman, was collegiate,
and belonged to St. James's priory, founded by
Rob. Rufus, who reb. the castle, and was buried
here, as was Eleanor of Brittany, after a confine-
ment of 40 yrs. ; St. Paul Cur. 5137., Corporation,
ch. has mon. to Col. Vassel ; St. Philip with
St. Jacob Vic. 4407., Trustees, ch. early eng. ;
St. Mary-le-Port Rect. 1507., Duke of Bucking-
ham, ch. early eng.; St. Matthew Cur. 7.,
Trustees ; Weir Cur. 1307., Crown and Bishop ;
St. Barnabas Cur. 1507., Incumbent of St. Paul's ;
St. Luke Cur. I, Vicar of St. Philip's; Trinity
Cur. 4007., Trustees; St. Simon and St. Jude
Curs., 1507. each, Crown and Bishop ; St. George,
Brandon Hill Vic. 2857., Dean and Chap. ; Coal-
pit Heath and St. Andrew Montpellier Curs., 1507.
each, Bishop ; St. Mark, or Mayor's chapel, found.
1230, as part of Gaunt's hosp. of Bonhommes, in
early english and later styles, with stained glass,
and mon. to Bedloe, Titus Oates's man. St. Mary
Redcliflfe Vic. with St. Thomas (see BEDMIN-
STER), ch., begun 1294 (on site of a chapel of
Hen. III. 'a day) by Simon de Burton, finished by
W. Canynges, and reb. 1456-66 bv his grandson
William (five times mayor, and founder of West-
bury Coll.), is a beautiful early and later eng.
cruciform, 247J ft. by 117, with an unfinished
spire of 200 ft. (which is to be 300), a finely
groined roof 54 ft. high, small norman porch
(part of the original ch.), 4 brasses (from 1439),
effigies of Canynge, and mon. of Adml. Penn,
altar pieces by Hogarth and Tresham, lady cha-
pel (now gram, school), a great bone of some
animal, and the muniment room with Canynge's
chests, where Chatterton pretended to find the
Rowley poems; the E. end is partly restored,
since 1846, by Britton and Hosking, under the
' Canynge Soc.' On St. Michael's Hill is High-
bury dissenting chapel, a good pointed speci-
men ; in castle st. the moat, and a crypt (now a
smith's forge), are left of the castle ; the ' Four-
teen Stars ' inn is an old timbered house, and
Stuckey's bank, another, brought over ready-
made from Holland ; the High cross which had
figures of 8 kings, etc. in it, is at Stourhead.
Tlie floating-docks made 1804-9 (by turning the
course of the river), for 600,0007., cover 82 acres,
and extend 2J m. from the top of Cumberland
basin, including a quay more than a mile long, seve-
ral graving-docks, a ship-yard where the ' Great
Britain 'was built, etc., and have ft. water,



BRI 26

enough for the largest vessels ; sailing smack lie at
Welsh Back, timber ships at Sea Banks, the larger
ones at the Grove, the trows or barges near
the swing-bridge, etc. Pill, lower down, is the
pilot station ; and King road, at the river's mouth,
has 5 to 10 fath. water, with a light. In 1846,
295 sail of 38,914 tons (119 being under 50 t. each)
and 28 steamers of 3954 1. (10 being under 50 t.),
belonged to the port, which begins at Flatholm,
and has Uphill and Pill for sub-ports ; and the
tonnage Inwards and Outwards, including re-
peated voyages, was 'coastwise' 5133 sail of
240,434 and 2313 of 134,279 t. (besides 1201
steamers of 158,239 and 1406 of 156,716 t.),
from and to ' colonies ' 162 of 66,696 and 128 of
46,234 t., from and to 'foreign ports' 169 of
22,509 and 77 of 19,896 t. (besides 41 foreigners
of 7901 and 13 of 3043 t.) ; imports (val. 7.),
sugar, spirits, coffee, tobacco,wine, timber, tar, irish
provisions, corn, wool for the fine cloth trade, etc. ;
exports (val. 7.), the manufactures as above ;
total customs 911,3157., being an increase of 30
to 40 percent, since the act of 1846-7 for transfer-
ring the management from the dock comp. to the
city, by which the rates have been lowered and
better accommodation provided. Dampier sailed
hence about 1710, with Capt. Rogers, and brought
back Alex. Selkirk from Juan Fernandez.
Brandon hill and other forts have disappeared ;
but camps remain at Cadbury, Leigh, etc. W.
Steevens and two other martyrs were burnt
1555-6. Hen. VII. at his visit fined the citizens'
wives for dressing too well in his honour, and
his grand daughter Eliz. stayed at a house in
Small St. Blankets were first made here by T.
Blanket, and here brass was first founded (in
England) 1705. Sir H. Davy pub. his first essay
1799, when Dr.Beddoes's assistant at the pneuma-
tic institutn. Among the natives are : Will, of
Worcester (1413 ?) ; Will. Botoner who wrote
an itinerary of the city ; Norton the alchemist
(died 1477) ; Grocyne 1442-1519, the friend of
Erasmus; Seb. Cabot 1477-1557, who 24 June
1497, discovered Labrador (not Newfoundland),
and. opened the Russia trade; T. White (d.
1623), founder of Sion Coll. ; Elliott, the true
discoverer of Newfoundland ; Fowler the printer
(d. 1579) ; Abp. Matthew 1546-1623 ; Bp. Thomas
1613-1689 ; Child the composer 1607-1697 ;
Adml. Sir W. Penn 1621-70 (his son the qua-
ker set sail hence for Pennsylvania 1682) ;
Lewis 1675-1746, who wrote a L'ife of Wickliffe ;'
Colston 1636-1721, for whom a sermon is yearly
preached ; Chatterton 1752-70 ; Sir W. Draper ;
Mrs. Robinson 1758-1800, the ' english Sappho,'
and mistress of Pr. of Wales ; Wraxall 1751-1831,
author of 'Memoirs;' Ann Yearsley 1756-1806,
the rhyming milk-woman ; Roberts, a poet (born
1796) ; Morgan 1791-1809, whose ' Remains '
were brought out by Hayley; Rich. Reynolds
(d. 1816), whose name occurs frequently in W.
Allen's Memoirs ; ' Southey 1774-1843 ; Cottle,
Bowdich (1790-1824), Sir T. Lawrence (1769-
1830.) born at the ' White Lion ; ' Seyer a local
historian (d. 1831); Capt. Kater (1777-1835);
Baily, the sculptor.. W. Smith, the door-keeper
of a chapel here, was one of the first to try adult
schools. In 1841, there was church and chapel room
for 60,000, and about 22,000 child, attended 600
schools of all sorts. Mean temp. 53 ;fall of rain
32-9 inches; lat. 51 27' N., long. 2 35' W. The
1 Bristol Gazette,' 'Felix Farley's B. Journal,' ' B.
Mercury,' ' B. Mirror," ' Gt. Western Advertiser,'
and ' B. Times,' are published ; ' Bristol stones ' are
found in St. Vincent's Rocks at Clifton ; and it
gives title of Marquis to the Herveys. The Great



270



BRI



Western Hail, as planned by Sir I. Brunei, was made
1834-48, with a wide gauge of 7 ft. (the first of this
size), at a cost of 56,7327. per mile, and going from
Paddington passes R. Brent by the Wharncliffe
viaduct 7 m., W. Drayton 13, Slough near Wind-
sor 18, Maidenhead 22, Twyford near Henley 30 J,
Reading 35|, Pangbourne 40$, Wallingford Road
47J, Didcot 53, where is a branch of 10 m. to
Oxford, Wantage road 60, through Vale of White
Horse to Shrivenham 71J, Swin don, the highest
point of the line, where is a branch of 37 m. to
Cirencester and Glo'ster, Wootten Basset 82$,
Chippenham 93$, Box tunnel, 3168 yds. long, at
984, Bath 101$, Keynsham 113, Bristol 118J.
For rails, to Exeter and Gloucester, see those
places. A small line runs to Coalpit heath,
which supplies the city with coal, and a branch
of 14 m. has been projected across R. Severn at
New Passage to the S. Wales rail. A canal 1 m.
long, shortens the bend of the river from Marsh
bridge ; steamers go to Cardiff, Carmarthen, Cork,
Dublin, Liverpool, Milford, Newport, Swansea,
Tenby, Waterford. The Excise District includes
Bristol, Wells, Glastonbury, Axbridge, Wrington,

and in 1835 had 81 officers, who collected
376,7877. (each collector's round being 64 m.), of
which 175,980/. was on spirits, 65,662 on malt,
52,3047. on soap, 47,0857. on glass, 13,8687. on
licences, 56607. on paper, etc. ; and the total no. of
traders was 5133, of which 2208 were dealers in
tobacco, 1160 in tea, 848 in wine and spirits, 744
were brewers and maltsters, 48 makers of bricks,
17 of soap, 13 of paper. Brist. Sup. Registry,
comprises the city pars. ; births (1845) 2157
(1038 being females, 110 illegit.) deaths 1692

marriages 1357, of which 816 persons signed
with marks; 396 deaths from cholera in 1849.
The New County Court district includes the Re-
gistry with those of Bedminster, Clifton, Keyns-
ham(exeept Newton sub-distrt.). >5& TheDiocESE
taken from Sarum and Worcester by Hen. VIII.
and lately joined to Gloucest. extended over the
city, great part of Dorset, and part of Gloucest.
and was held by Trelawney (one of the Seven),
Abp. Boulter, Seeker, Coneybeare, Newton, etc. ;
Bp.'s seat at Stapleton palace. The Chapter com-
prises a dean, archdeacon, chancellor, 6 canons,
4 honorary do., 4 minor do. (407. to 807.). B.ARCII-
DEACONRY contains the deaneries of Bristol,
Ci'ster, Fairford, Hawkesbury, Cricklade, Malmes-
bury, or about 160 benefices (exclusive of the
city). B. DEANERY, the benefices in Barton Regis,
Low. Berkeley, Henbury bunds, with Kingswood
cur., Littleton-on-Severn rect., Olveston vie., Win-
terbourne-St. Mary r. Mkt. D. Tu. Frid. corn
and hay; Wed. Sat. cheese, hides, provisions;
Thurs. corn, cattle, hides. Fairs, 1-9 Mar. 1-9
Sept. cattle etc. Races, .

Bristol Channel, the sestuary of R. Severn, and
the largest in the kingdom, having Devon, and
Somerset, on the S. side, saidMonmouth. Glamorgan.
Caermarthen. and Pembroke, on the N., lies inside
of Hartland Point and St. Govan's Head, the dis-
tance across through Lundy Isld. being about
40 m., and the length, along the middle up to
King Road, 80 m. Other breadths are: from
Bideford bay to Carmarthen bay 48 m., Morte
Pt. to Worms Hd. 22, Forelock Foreland to
Porthcawl 13, and Warren Pt. to Breaksea Pt.
11, Brean Down to Lavernock Ft 8, King Road
to Undy 5, giving an av. of 18 m. The harbours,
lights, etc., along the S. coast (which has not one
safe haven), are, Hartland key, Clovelly road,
Appledore pool, and Braunston lights in Barn-
staple bay, outside the Taw and Tornclge, Baggy
pt. and reef, Morte bay, Rockham buy near Bull



pt,
llil



BRI

t., Ilfracombe and light, Buggy Pit ledge near
tillage Pt., Wedmouth cove, Combe Martin bay
under the Hangman hills, Linmouth bay near the
Foreland, Porlock under Dunkery hill, Miuehead,
Blue Anchor Road, Watchet harb., Culver sand,
and Burnham lights in Bridgewater bay at the
month of the Parret, Weston-super-mare under
Worle windmill, off which are Steepholm and
Flatholm lights (to which Bristol port reaches),
with the Wolves rocks close by, thence past
Portishead between the english and welsh
grounds or sands to the King's Road and Avon
bght, and so to Bristol, or past Lydney and
Sharpness on R. Severn by ship canal to Glou-
cester. On the welsh side are : the Wye, which
is navigable to Chepstow, St. Bride's light at R.
Usk's mouth leading to Newport, Cardiff roads
under Penarth head, leading to the Bute docks, up
R.Taff with the Monkstone rock in front, Laver-
nock point opposite the Wolves and Flatholm,
Sully and Barry islds., Aberthaw near Breaksea pt.,
Nash point, sand, and Light, Porthcawl harb.,
Skarweathers and, Aberavon, Neath, and Swansea
harb., and Mumbles light, all in Swansea bay,
Oxwich bay, Forth Einion, Helwich sand and
light, Worms hd., Rhossily bay, Burry and
Pembrey barbs., Cefn Sidan sands at the Towey's
mouth leading to Carmarthen, Tenby road, Sain-
dersfort harb., Caldy isld., and light off Gilter
pt., all in Carmarthen bay, St. Goven's Head :
the whole circuit of coast being about 220 m.
A light on Lundy isld. (which has good shelter
on E. side) commands the entrance. The depth
here is from 20 to 30 or 40 fath., and it shoals
gradually to 5 at the Avon. There is generally
a great swell from the W., and ordinary tides
rise 27 ft. at Lundy Isld., Bridgewater bay 35 ft.,
and 48 ft. at King's Road ; but gales of wind alter
the time and height considerably. On some oc-
casions it is 50 ft. here, and 60 at Chepstow, and
all the narrow parts of this channel are liable to
be visited with a bore, when the tide suddenly
rolls in fathoms deep, doing great damage if ships
are un prepared.

BRISTOX par. (68) Holt hund. N. Norfolk, 4 m.
SSW. of Holt-119, on a branch of R. Bure. Acres
2450 ; pop. 963 ; poor r. 5237. (Erpingham U.) ;
real prop. 3669; charities 97. All Saints Vic.
(Norw.) val. 3177., patr. Lord Hastings.

Brit River (17-8) rising near Beaminster, W.
Dorset, runs 8 m. S. to the Channel at Bridport.

BRITAIN, the general name of these islands,
comes, as Camden thinks, from the Greek Bri-
tania, a word made from a foreign one, brit or
brith signifying painted, and the common ending
tania, as in Lusitania, Aquitania. Ptolemy,
speaking of them, calls Ireland little, and this
great ; from which the name of Great Britain,
as applied to the larger, seems to have descended
to us. At first the Romans made only two di-
visions of Britain or BRITANNIA: B. Superior,
the part nearer Rome as far as the Trent, or the
Mersey and Don ; B. Inferior, the rest. A little
after, it was divided into three parts, correspond-
ing with the three archdioceses of London, Caer-
leon, and York ; B. Prima, the first or nearest
to Rome, as far as the Mersey and Don, the
Severn and Dee, B. Secunda, all Wales beyond
the two latter, Maxima Ctesariensis, beyond the
two former. Later still it was divided into B.
PRIMA, south of the Thames, including the Can-
tii, Belga, Damnonii, Bibrocii (or Reoni or Rfiemi),
Segontiaci, Hedui, Atrebatii (or Ancalites), Dvro-
triges (or JHorinf), Cimbri, Cornubii ; B. SECIJNDA
beyond Rs. Severn and Dee, including the Si-
lures, Ordovices, Dimecia (or Demette), Cangiam



BRI

(or Cancance) ; FLAVIA&ESARIENSIS (which see)
between Ks. Thames, Don, Severn, etc. with Glou-
cester for capital ; MAXIMA C.KSARIENSIS, beyond
Ks. Don and Mersey to Severus's wall ; VALEXTIA,
to Antonine's wall ; and VESPASIANA, beyond it.
See Preface, for GREAT BRITAIN.

Britain, Lee (1 1) 3 m. W. of Gosport, 5. Hants.

BRITAIN, LITTLE, hmlt. (54) Exhall par. S W.
Warwick. 2 m. SE. of Alcester-103.

Britannia Bridge (78) 2 m. WSW. of Bangor,
N. Carnrvn. begun 1846 and now building by
Stephenson on the Holyhead rail, over Menai
Strait, S. of Telford's suspension br., consists of
two enormous tubular ways or covered troughs,
side by side, 104 ft. above high tide, made of
wrought-iron plates (each 12 to 6^ ft. long, 2
to 1$ ft. wide, 3 to 7-16ths. in. thick) rivetted
together, and resting on three great piers in the
water, each 62 ft. by 52 at the base, viz. : the
Carnrvn. pier and abutment ; the Britannia or
middle pier (on B. Rock), 230 ft. high ; and the
Anglesea pier, 196 ft. high (127 at the roadway),
next which the Angl. abutment is 143J ft.
high. Total length 1833 ft. including 230 ft.
from the land (173 from the abutment) to the
1st pier and 32 thro' it, 460 to the middle pier
and 45 thro' it, 460 to the next and 32 thro' it,
and 230 to the land. Each great tube is in the
whole 1513 ft. long, 5000 tons wt., and 14 ft.
wide by 18 high, inside ; outside, the height is
22| at the ends, increasing to 30 ft. in the middle,
on account of the strain; to correct which
also, smaller tubes run along the top and bottom.
Allowance is made for a change of temp, which
causes a difference of 12 in. in the length between
winter and summer. One great tube, on which
1500 men were employed rivetting, etc. for months
together, was, 19 June 1849, floated out on pon-
toons, and between 10 Aug. and 12 Oct. raised to
its place by an hydraulic press 6 ft. per day (the
brickwork being built up underneath as it pro-
ceeded), without accident, except the bursting of
one of the presses, which exert a force of 800 to
900 ft. per inch ; and the first train went thro'
one side 5 Mar. 1850. Four carved lions, by J.
Thomas, at the ends, are each 25^ ft. long by
18J ft. high, and 80 tons wt. The cost is about
600,000/. ; and the total materials are calculated
at 14,000,000 cubic ft. of stone (chiefly 4ngles.\ime-
stone), 450,000 cub. ft. of timber, and 11,400 tons
of iron (including 2 millions of rivets), or about
14 times more iron than Telford's. The strait be-
tween the cliffs is about 1100ft. broad; the tide
rises 20 ft., and runs sometimes 8 m. an hour. A
pillar in Llanvair ch.yard was raised by the men
to the memory of some who were killed by accident
in the course of the works.

Britjiddstown (113) Kinalea bar. SE. Cork, Sir
T. W. Koberts.

BRITFORD, or BEREFORD, or BURFORD, par.
(15) Cawden hund. SE. Wilts. 1 m. SE. of Salis-
bury-81, containing E. Harnham and Longford,
seat of Earl Radnor, to whom it belongs, was the
property of King Harold. Acres 3350 ; pop.
878 + 4 ; poor r. 634/. (Alderbury U.) ; real prop.
5780. St. Peter Vic. (Sal.) val. 281/., patr. Dean
and Chap. ; church, cruciform, has tomb of Buck-
ingham, who was beheaded by Rich. III. B. Moat
House, R. Hetley, Esq. Fair, 12 Aug. sheep.

BRITHDIR hmlt. (36) Gelli-gaer par. E. Gla-
morgan. 7 m. SE. of Merthyr Tydvil-171, on R.
Rumney. Pop. 1835 + 104, in the ironworks and
collieries ; real prop. 7670/., of which 4948/. on
ironworks. Living, a Cur. with Gelli-gaer. B.
Jsuf and Uchaf, 2 m. NW. gg-BKiTHom tnshp.
('id) Bcrricw par. E. Montgomery. 4 m. NW. of



BRI 271

Montgomery-168. Pop. 158. g^ BRITHDIR
tnshp. (74) Llanrhayadr par. NE. Montgomery.
4 in. N. of LlanfylIin-179. Pop. 252. ^ BRITH-
DIR tnshp. (60) Llauidlocs borough, S. Montgo-
mery, near Llanidloes-188. fl^" B., ISAF and
UCHAF, tnshps. (59) Dolgelley town, Mid. Merio-
neth, near Dolgelley-208. Pop. 327, and 140.

Britisft Channel. See Channel.

P. BRITON FERRY, or LLANSAWYL, par. (37)
Neath hund. W. Glamorgan. 2 m. SSW. of Neath
-198, a beautiful spot at R. Neath's mouth, where
the canal ends (Giant's Grave harb.), in Swansea
bay. Pop. 718 + 30, coal miners; poor r. 127/.
(Neath U.); real prop. 2829/. Living, a Cur.
(Llan.) val. 124/., patr. Earl of Jersey, who has
the manor through the Mansells ; the views from
the churchyard have been celebrated by Mason,
when visiting Baylan house. A short branch of
S. Wales rail, will come here.

P. BRITTAL LANE (62) 1 m. from Stourbridge,
N. Worcest.

Brittas (2) Tinnehinch bar. NW. Queen's Co.
Gen. Dunne.

Brittas Castle (41) Eliogarty bar. Mid. Tip-
perary, H. Langley, Esq.

BRITTENTON hmlt. (45) Standlake par. Mid.
Oxford. 4 m. SE. of Witney-65. Pop. 162.

Brittil Bay, SE. side of Skye, NW. Inverness.

P. BRITTON vil. (88) near Wakefield, W. R.
York. Living, a Cur. (Rip.) val. /., patr. W.
B. Beaumont, Esq.

BRITWAY par. (45, 54) Barrymore and Kina-
taloon bars. E. Cork, 5 m SE. Rathcormack-142,
on R. Bride. Acres 4010, good, with mountain;
pop. 1212 + 12. Living, a Rect. with Ahem.

BRITSVELL lib. (7) Burnham par. S. Bucks. 3 m.
NE. of Maidenhead-26. Pop. 94.

BRITWELL-PRIOR chplry. (13) Newington par.
SE. Oxford. 1 m. SW. of Watlington-45, belong-
ing to the Welds, had an english nunnery a
few years ago, and was once the seat of a priory
cell. Pop. 52 ; poor r. 33/. (Henley U.) ; real
prop. 668/. ; charities 41. B. Grove, Major Roch-
fort. iJaP*' B.-SALOME par. Lewknor hund. \ m.
N. of the above, near B. Downs camp, on Ickneld
St. Acres 730 ; pop. 233 ; poor r. 296J. (Henley
U.) ; real prop. 1153/. ; charities 21. St. Nicholas
Rect. (Oxon.) val. 175/., patr. Lord Carrington.

Briw-Nant (41) Comvyl-Cayo par. NE. Car-
marthn. seat of Rev. Lloyd, near the sulphur
springs, and the Pumpsant waters.

P. M. BRIXHAM, UPPER and LOWER, par.
(23) Haytor hund. S. Devon. 4 m. NE. of Dart-
mouth- 202, a sub-port, to Dartmo. and coast gd.
station, near S. Devon, rail, and Bury Head, in
Torbay, where Will. III. first landed 5 Nov. 1688.
Acres 5210 ; pop. 5684 + 67, employed in marble
quarries, in the fisheries, fruit and coasting trade,
thro' a small pier harbour; houses 1253, irre-
gular, on the cliffs, with 2 churches, 3 chapels,
mkt. house, custom-house, bank, barracks (now
dismantled), Kelly's free school (787.) ; poor r.
1821/. on 13,615/. (Totness U.) ; real prop. 15.149/. ;
charities 191/., of which Lang's for redemption of
"poor captives," etc. 63i Virgin Mary Vic.
(Exet.) with Churston-Ferrers Cur. val" 494.'.,
patr. Ld. Chancellor, church, ancient, with
tombs of the Bullers of Lupton ; LOWER B. or B.
QUAY Cur. 1501., Vicar. The fixed light ou pier
head, is in lat. 50 24' N., long. 8 30' W., put up
1839, 20 ft. high. At Buryhead are traces of a
camp ; Laywell intermitting spring ebbs and
flows eleven times in the hour, rising about
1^ in., and sometimes stopping for half an hour.
Mkt. Ds. Tu. Sat. fairs, Whit Tu. Wed. and Th.
BRIXTON par. (24) Plymtou hund. SW. Devon.



272



BR1



BRO



4 m. ESE. of Plymouth-216, a petty sess. town,
on R. Yealm. Acres 3060 ; pop. 823 + 3 ; poor r.
SOU (Plympton U.) ; real prop. 60607. ; charities
507. Living, a Cur. (Exet.) val. 1077., patr. Dean
and Canons of Windsor. B. Han, T. Platt, Esq.

P. BRIXTON, or BRIGHTSTONE, par. (10) W.
Medina lib. I. of Wight, S. Hants. 6 m. SW. of
Newport-82, near Grange Chine in B. Bay, con-
tains Limerston and Chilton, and has a fine sea
view. Acres 2700 ; pop. 710 + 7 ; poor r. . (I.
of Wight Incorp.) ; real prop. 3988/. St. Mary
Beet. (Wine.) val. 515/., patr. Bishop.

BRIXTON, formerly ALDINGTON, HUNDRED (6,
7) NE. Surrey, East Div. belonged to Bermond-
sey abbey, contains the pars, of Bermondsey,
Camberwell, Christchurch, Clapham, Lambeth,
Newington, Rotherhithe, Streatham, and parts of
Battersea and Deptford ; West Div. the pars, of
Barnes, Merton, Mortlake, Putney, Lower Toot-
ing, Wandsworth, Wimbledon, and part of Bat-
tersea; total acres 30,400, pop. 310,586, houses
60,500.

BRIXTON DEVERILL par. (14) Heytesbury
hund. SW. Wilts. 4 m. S. of Warminster-96.
Acres 2690; pop. 167; poor r. 1197. (Warminst.
U.) ; real prop. 1949/. St. Michael Rect. (Sal.)
val. 2607., patr. Bishop.

P. BRIXTON-ST. MATTHEW chplry. (7) Lam-
beth par. and boro', NE. Surrey, 2 m. SSW. of



Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 76 of 293)