2 m. SW. of Newport- 142. Pop. 125. gip" BROCK-
TON (61) 3 m. SW. of Shiffnal-135, E. Salop.
fliP BROCKTON tnshp. (60) N. Lydbury par. SW.
Salop, 2 m. S. of Bishop's Castle-159. Pop. 137.
lgi BROCKTON tnshp. C60) Worthen par. W.
Salop, 9 m. N. of Bishop's Castle-159. Pop. 303.
l^" BROCKTON (61) 4 m. SSW. of Much Wen-
lock-148, S. Salop. g3p BROCKTON tnshp. (72)
Baswick par. Mid. Staffd. 4 m. SE. of Stafford
-141. Acres 1990; pop. 238; poor r. 557. (Stafford
U.) B. House, Capt. Chetwynd ; B. Lodge, H.
Chetwynd, Esq. ^" B. House (73) 2. m. N. of
Eccleshall, W. Stafford.
BROCKWEAR COMMON ext par. (35) Hewels-
field par. W. Gloucest. 5 m. N. of Chepstow-135,
on R. Wye Pop. 212.
BROCKWORTH par. (44) Upper Dudstone hund.
Mid. Gloucest. 3 m. ESE. of Gloucester-102, on
Ermine St., is a meet for the Coteswold hounds.
Acres 2360 ; pop. 409 + 1 ; poor r. 1957. (Glouc.
opposite Saltcoats in Ayr, is on B. Bay under
Goatfell, near B. Castle, Duke of Hamilton, which
was restored 1845, oil the ruins of the old seat of
the Boyds and Stuarts, which John Hastings
held for Edw. I. I
Brodie House, 4 m. ESE. of Nairn, NW. Elgin.
W. Brodie, Esq. near the stone quarries. |
Brodpiece Farm (51) 7 m. W. of Ely, Mid.
Cambridge. : (
BRODSWORTH par. (87) Strafforth wap. W. R.
York. 5 m. NW. of Doncaster-162, contains Pig-
burn and Scansby. Acres 3170 with brown lime-
stone quarries ; pop. 467 + 2, of town 192 ; poor r.
1427. (Doncast. U.) ; real prop. 29457. charities 157.
St. Michael Vic. (Yk.) val. 3677., patr. Archbp.
B. Park and manor, formerly the seat of the
Kinnouls, belongs to Lord Rendlesham, whose
father P. Thelusson died 1798, leaving estates
worth 45007. rental, and 600,0007. personal pro-
perty, to accumulate during the lives of his chil-
dren and two succeeding generations, before it
could be inherited, by which time it was expected
to exceed a million and a half, a bequest long
since annulled by the Ld. Chancellor.
BRODWAXICK. (30) 2 m. SW. of Bodmin-234,
Brogag, N. of Skye, W. Inverness.
Brogborough Park (46) 4 m. W. of Ampthill,
W. Beds, near B. Farm.
BROGDEN tnshp. ( ) with Admorgill, Barr
noldswick par. W.R. York. 9 m. WSW. of Skipton
-216. Acres 1670 ; pop. 219 ; poor r. 501. (Skip-
Broich House, 1 m. W. of Keppen, .ZV. Stirling.
on B. Water, which runs to the Forth.
Broichin Castle. See Brochel Castle, Inverness.
BROIL (14) 5 m. SW. of Hungerford-64, E.
Broke, or Brook, House (19) 2 m.W.of Westbury,
W. Wilts, was the old seat of the Willoughbys de
Broke, through the Cheyneys, before their re-
moval into Warwick.
Broke River ( ) falls into R.Wyre, Mid. Lane.
BROKESBOROUGH par. (34) Malmesbury bund.
N. Wilts, 2 m. NW. of Malmesbury-94, on
Akeman St. was a seat of the saxon kings (who
called it Caerderberge), and afterwards came to the
Molines. Acres 2590 ; pop. 429 + 16 ; poor r. 1977.
(Malmes. U.) ; real prop. 35117. charities 37. St.
J. Baptist Cur. with Westport. Some roman re-
mains have been found.
BROKENHAUGH quarter ( ) Haydon chplry.
S. Northmbrld. 5 m. WNW. of Hexham-279. Pop.
250 + 8.
BROKIE (7) 2 m. NE. of Chesham-29, E.Bucks.
Brolum Loch, SE. side of Lewis, Western Islds.
opposite Shiants islds.
BROMBIL or BROXBIL. See BROOMBILL, Gla-
BROMBLOW. See BROMLOW, Salop.
BROMBORROW, or BROMBOROUGH, par. (79)
Win-all hund. NW. Cheshire, 4 m. S. of Birkenhead
-202, on Chest, rail., containing Brimstage on R.
Mersey, had a small priory found, by Ethelfleda
about 902, and was afterwards a mkt. town under
St. Werburg's abbey (the cathedral) Chester, to
which it was given by Earl Ranulph. Acres 2250 ;
pop. 573 + 13 ; poor r. 667. (WirrallU.) ; real prop.
35377. charities 57. St. Barnabas Cur. (Ches.) val.
517., patr. Dean and Chap. ; church, with nonnan
remains. B. Hall and Park, J. Mainwaring, Esq.
command a fine view of the river.
BROMBY tnshp. (86) Frodingham par. N. Lin-
coln. 6 m. WNW. of Brigg-155. Pop. 160+5;
poor r. 447. (Brigg U.) ; real prop. 15407.
BROMDEN, UPPER and LOWER (55) 7 m. NE.
vf Ludlow-143, S. Salop.
BROME, or BROOME, par. (50)Hartismerehund.
.. Suffolk, 2 m. N. of Eye-89. Acres 1650 ; pop.
328 ; poor r. 1877. (Hartism. U.) ; real prop. 19637. ;
charities 187. St. Mary Rect. (Norw.) val. with
Oakley 5617., patr. Sir E. Kerrison, Bt. of B. Hall,
b. about 1565, and for many centuries the seat of
the Cornwallis fam. (through the Buctons) to
whom it gives the title of viscount.
BROME, SOUTH. See SOUTH BROME, Wilts.
BROMESWELL par. (SO)Wilford hund, SE. S'tflk.
2 m. NE. of Woodbridge-77, on R. Deben. Acres
3060 ; pop. 200 + 2 ; poor r. 1017. (Woodbr. U.) ; real
prop.13097. ; charities 107. St.Edmund 7?ecf.(Xorw.)
val. 1507., patr. Marquis of Bristol.
BROMFIELD par. ( ) Allerdale-below-Derwent
and Cumberland wards, W. Cumbrld. 6 m. W. of
Wigton-303, near the rail, contains Allonby cur.,
Longrigg, W.Newton, Blencogo and, and Dundraw.
Acres 12,850 ; pop. 2312, of tnshp. with Crook-
dake and Scales 364 ; poor r. 63/. (Wigton U.) ;
real prop. 9247. ; charities 457., of which 417. to
Osmotherley's gram, school. St. Kentigern Vic.
(Carl.) val. 2707., patr. Bishop. Remains of Mun-
go Castle are seen. fif BROMFIELD par. (55)
Lower Munslow hund. S. Salop, 2 m. NW. of Lud-
low-143, where R. Onney joins the Teme, contains
Halford, and had a benedietine priory found. 1155
as a cell to Glo'ster abbey, but previously a secular
college. Acres 9330 , pop. 655 + 3, of town with
Lady and Prior's Hal ton 531 + 2 ; poor r. 3247.
(Ludlow U.) ; real prop. 98627. ; charities 37. St.
Mary Vic. (Heref.) val. 3347., patr. Hon. R. H.
Clive, of Oakley Park, in which are remains of
the priory, close to the new church.
BROMFIELD HUNDRED (73-4) E. Denbigh, con-
tains the pars, of Holt, Marchwiel, Ruabon, and
parts of Bangor, Erbistock, Gresford, and Wrex-
ham; pop. 30,904, houses 6315.
BROMFLEET. See BLOOMFLEET, E. R. York.
Bromghoe Castle Mills (52) 3 m. ENE. of Bed-
ford, Mid. Beds, on R. Ouse.
Bromhall (8) at Sunninghill, E. Berks, was the
residence of Rich. II. 's queen Isabella.
BROMHAM par. (52) Willey hund. W. Beds.
3 m. NW. of Bedford-50, on R. Ouse, a meet
for the Oakley hounds. Acres 1910; pop. 314;
poor r. 1707. Bedf. U.); real prop. 28167. St.
Owen Vic. (Ely) val. with Oakley 3367., patr.
Eton Coll. B. House, J. Simpson, Esq., formerly
of the Trevors, of whom the church has mons.
with a triple-canopied brass of T. Widevill and
wives (older than 1537").
P. BROMHAM par. (14) Potterne hund. Mid.
Wilts. 3 m. NW. of Devizes-89, near the ro~
man road to Bath, belonged to King Harold,
and in Hen. VII.'s time came to the Bayn-
tons. Acres 3300 ; pop. 1558, cloth weavers ;
poor r. 9687. (Deviz. U.) ; real prop. 67667.;
charities Bavnton's almsh. 207. St. Nicholas
Rect. (Sal.) "val. 6987., patr. Mrs. Starkie, of
Spye Park, which was the seat of the Bayntons
(after B. Hall was burnt) through Wilmot, Earl
of Rochester, who sometimes lived here, and lately
was occupied by Col. Thornton ; church, has
brasses and tombs of the Bayntons, and of a Beau-
champ. Bp. Webb (d. 1641), Season (who wrote an
almanac called ' Season on the Seasons '), and Col-
linson the Somerset county historian (d. 1790),
were natives. B. House, J. Starkie, Esq., was b.
out of Devises cast, ruins. A pavement and other
remains have been found.
Bromham Park (5) 3 m. NE. of Hastings, E.
Sussex, Rev. Sir J. Ashburnham, Bt. through the
BROMHILL hmlt. (65) Weeting par. S W. Nor-
folk, 1 m. NNE. of Brandon, has a farmhouse on
'the site of an austin priory, found, by Hugh de
Plaiz in John's time, and" suppressed by Pope
Clement, but afterwards given to Wolsey and
Christ's Coll. Camb.
BROM HOLME hmlt. (68) Bacton par. 4m. NE.
of N. Walsham, NE. Norfolk, was once a mkt.
town, under the priory built 1113, by Will, de
Glanville, as a cell to Castleacre at South Creek,
a few arches of it remain.
Bromin Green (46) J m. SW. of Stevenage, N.
BROMLEY (47) 6 m. NE. of Ware-20, E.Herts.
BROMLEY AND BECKENHAM HUNDRED (6)
Sutton-at-Hone lathe, NW. Kent, contains those
pars. ; acres 8450, pop. 5933, houses 1078.
P. M. BROMLEY par. (6) as above, 10 m. SSE.
of London, on R. Ravensbourne, a polling place
for W . Kent, and a petty sess. town, belonging to
the Bps. of Rochester from the time of Ethelbert.
Acres 4630, part common ; pop. 4325 + 32 ; houses
793, in a long street, with an old mkt. house on
pillars, savings bk. (24,7017., from 992 depositors},
police court, literary institutn., free school (427.),
Bp. Warner's college for 40 clergymen's widows,
found. 1666, with a revenue of 19937., and
Union p. house ; poor r. 1205/. on 17,2747. ; real
prop. 22,7137. ; charities 20427. St. Peter and Paul
Cur. (Cant.) val. 1607., patr. Bp. Rochester ;
church (partly rebuilt 1796), has a norman font,
tombs of Z. Pearce and other prelates, of Hawks-
worth who wrote the 'Adventurer,' and Dr.
Johnson's wife, brasses of Thornhill, and a
lich gate. B. Common Cur. val. 132/., patr.
Bishop. B. Palace, till lately the seat of the
Bishops, who have removed to Danbury, Essex,
was rebuilt 1777, and has St. Blaise's mineral
spring in the grounds. Bickley Pk., J. Wells,
Esq. ; Eden Farm, Lord Auckland ; Freelands, C.
Pott, Esq. ; Hayes Place, Mrs. Dehaney ; Kelsey
Pk., Mrs. King ; Langley Pk., E. Goodheart,
Esq. ; Sundridge Pk., S. Scott, Esq. ; Simpson's,
now a farmhouse. Brom. P. L. Union, contains
the pars. etc. of Beckenham, Bromley, Chelsfield,
Chislehurst, Cray (North), Cray (St. Paul), Cud-
ham, Down, Farnborough (where poor ho. is),
Footscray, Hayes, Keston, Knockholt, Orpington,
W. Wickham, with St. Mary Cray ; acres 39,400,
pop. 16,079, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7) 1103 (out-
door 842), expend. 59557, prop, rated 68,3107.
Sup. Registry comprises the same up to W. Wick-
ham ; pop, 16,077 + 166. The New Ouunty Court
district corresponds with the Registry, lilkt. D.
Thurs. cattle. Fairs, 14 Feb. 5 Aug. cattle, etc.
BROMLEY tnshp. (61) Worfield par. SE. Salop,
1 m. NNE. of Bridgnorth-139.
BROMLEY tnshp. ( ) Eccleshall par. W. Staf-
f<>r<l. near Eccleshall-148. Acres 1080; pop. 33;
real prop. 30077. B. House, . igp Bromley
(13) Newcastle bar. NE. Wicklow. Lady Har-
riet Daly. giT BROMLEY hmlt. ( ) Wortley
tnshp. W. R. York. 6 m. SW. of Barnsley-172, on
N. Midld. rail.
BROMLEY, ABBOT'S. See ABBOT'S BROMLEY,
Stafd. <iT B. Cross (89) 2 m. N. of Bolton on
Bury rail. .S. Lancash.
BROMLEY, GREAT, par. (48) Tendring hund.
E. Essex, 5 m. E. of Colchester-51, is a petty
sessions place. Acres 3050 ; pop. 738 + 4 ; poor
r. 2287. (Tendr. U.) ; real prop. 48907. ; charities,
church lands 347. St. George Rect. (Roch.) val.
6987., patr. Graham, Esq. ; church, has a good
brass of W. Byschopton, a priest (1432) O" B.,
LITTLE, par. as above, 1 m. NE. Acres 22GO ; pop.
426 + 4 ; poor r. 1267. ; real prop. 34157. ; charities
107. St. Mary Rect. (Roch.) val. 4937.. patr.
Wadham Coll. Oxon. B. Isxlge, I m. S. O" B.
REGIS, or KING'S, BROMLEY, par. (62) N. Offlow
hund. E. Stafford. 5 m. N. of Lichfield-119, on
R. Trent, belonged as Brom-legge to Earl Leofric
(who died here) the husband of Godvia, and
after the Conquest, to the Crown. Acres 3370,
part common ; pop. 718 + 9 ; poor r. 2567. (Lichf.
U.) ; real prop. 65547. ; charities 1997., of which
Crosse's school 1057. All Saints Cur. (Lich.) val.
727., patr. Prebend, of Alrewas and Weeford ;
church, large and later eng., with tombs of the
Agards and Newtons, who had the manor. Ac-
cording to Plott, a woman here lived long enough
to see her children alive to the 6th generation.
Bromley, or K. B., Hall, J. Lane, Esq., a de-
scendant of the Lanes, who saved Charles II. after
the battle of Worcester.
P. BROMLEY-ST. LEONARD'S par. (1) Ossul-
stonehund. SE. Middesex, 3m. ENE.of St. Paul's,
London, on R. Lea, contains B. Newtown on the
cut which joins Rs. Lea and Thames, and had a
nunnery found, in the Conqueror's time by Will.
Bishop of London. Acres 620, chiefly in grass and
mkt. gardens, with part of Tower Hamlets ceme-
tery; pop. 4626; houses 1117, with a chapel,
Jolle's drapers' almshouses, seamen's almsh.
pearl-ash factory at Newtown, brewery, distil-
lery, mills on the Lea, and calico print-works at
B. Hall (which belonged to Christchurch priory) ;
poor r. 22367. on 20,7287. (Poplar U.) ; real prop.
25,9607. ; charities 1477. St. Leonard Vic. (Lon.)
val. 1907., patr. J. Walter, Esq., M. P. ; church,
with norman traces, was part of the nunnery.
New Town Cur. 1007., St. Leonard Chapel Cur.
on Bow common, 807., patr. of both Vicar. Lands
in this manor descend by gavel-kind.
BROMLOW tnshp. (GO) Worthen par. W. Salop,
8 m. N. of Bishop's Castle-159. Pop. 468.
P. BROMPTON tnshp. (6) Gillingham and
Chatham pars. N. Kent, J m. N. of Chatham-30,
on the high ground within the lines, and over-
looking the dock-yard, has 2 chapels, barracks
used as general depot for the infantry, marine
bar., military gen. hosp., E. India Co.'s barracks,
museum, and chapel, etc. Pop. 3727. Living, a
Cur. (Roch.) val. 1307., patr. Rev. W. and Miss
Conway; church, b. 1848-9, of flint and Kentish
rag, in the pointed style, with a good spire, etc.
P. BROMPTON, or B. OLD and NEW, hmlt.
(7) Kensington par. SE. Middlesex, 4 m. WSW.
of St. Paul's, London, has always been famous
for its nurseries. Pop. 9515 ; houses 1406, with
church, chapel, Methwold's almsh. and the
hospital for consumption fof 200, the gift of
Rev. Sir H. Foulis, fit, built by E. Weekes, with
a beautiful chapel to it. Holy Trin. Cur. (Lon.)
val. 6397., patr. Bishop. ; church, b. 1829. West
Br. Cur., 7., Incumb. of Trinity; Br. Chapel
Cur. /., Vicar. Cromwell Ho. or Hale Hall,
they say, was the residence of Henry Crom-
well, who was here married to Eliz. Russell.
William Penn Ford, the "famous speaking doctor"
of the Tatler, Count Rumford, and A. Murphy,
were residents. f^" BROMPTON tnshp. (60)
Church Stoke par. W. Salop, 6 m. N W. of Bishop's
Castle-159. Pop. 119. |^" Brompton (Gl) 4m.
SE. of Shrewsbury-153, Mid. Salop.
P. BROMPTON par. ( ) Pickering-Lythe wap.
N. R. York. 8 m. SW. of Scarboro'-187, a petty ses-
sions town, containing Sawdon, Snainton cur., and
Troutsdale, has traces of a seat of the Northum-
brian kings at Castle hill, and afterwards came
to the Cliffords and Cayleys. Acres 10,180 ; pop.
1534 + 20, of town 609 + 19 ; poor r. 1407. (Scar-
boro' U.) ; real prop. 57597. ; charities 71. All
Saints Vic. (Yk.) val. 1037., patr. Sir G. Cayley,
Bt, of B. House ; church, large. John of B n
a monkish historian, was a native.
P. BROMPTON chplry. ( ) N. Allerton par.
N. B. York. 2 m. N. of Northallerton-225, includes
Standard hill, where the battle was fought 1138,
in which David I. was defeated. Acres 3490 ;
pop. 1535 + 2, chiefly linen weavers ; poor r. 691/.
(N. Allerton U.) ; real prop. 7025Z. ; charities 41.
Living, a Cur. (Yk.) val. 120Z., patr. Dean and
P. BROMPTON, PATRICK, par. ( ) E. and W.
Hang waps. NR. York. 6 m. E. of Leyburn-235,
contains Arrathorne, Newton-le-Willows, and
Hunton. Acres 5560, of tnshp. 1280; pop.
1130 + 8, and 181; poor r. 51Z. (Leyb. U.);
real prop. 2021Z. ; charities 271., of which Atkin-
son's school 19Z. St. Patrick Cur. (Rip.) val.
100Z., patr. Bishop of Chester, gf B. RAIPH
par. (20) Williton hund. W. Somerset. 3 m. N.
of Wiveliscombe-153, near a roman camp, is a
meet for W. Somerset hounds. Acres 2800;
pop. 492 + 7; poor r. 375Z. (Willit. U.) ; real
prop. 3360Z. St. Mary Beet. (Ba. and W.) vaL 347Z.,
patr. Gen. Blommart and Rev. T. S. Escott. igg B.
REGIS par. (21) as above, 3 m. NE. of Dulverton
-165, on R. Exe, was once a hund. and mkt. town,
and had a priory at Barlinch. Acres 8810, with
building stone ; pop. 440 ; poor r. 745Z. (Dul-
vert. U.) ; real prop. 3653Z. ; charities 18Z. St.
Mary Vic. (Ba. and W.) val. 400Z., patr. Emm.
Coll. Camb. ; church, with a carved screen. Fairs,
May and Oct. cattle. giP BROMPTOX-UPOX-
SWALE tnshp. ( ) Easby par. N. B. York. 3 m.
E. of Richmond-233, contains Citadilla, Acres
1710; pop. 399; poor r. 110Z. (Richm. U.) ; real
BROMSBERROW par. (43) Bottoe hund. NW.
Glocester. 5 m. N. of Newent-113, has a meet for
the Ledbury hounds at B. Heath. Acres 1760 ;
pop. 283 ; poor r. 208Z ( Newent U.) ; real prop.
2499Z. ; charities 5Z. St. Mary Beet. (GL and Br.)
val. 339Z., patr. Earl Beauchamp ; church, an-
cient, with tombs of the Yateses, of B. Place, now
seat of O. Ricardo, Esq., on the site of Hookhouse.
P. M. BROMSGROVE par. (54) Upper Halfshire
hund. .ZV. Worcester. 11 m. NE. of Worcester, 116
from London, anciently Bremesgrave, and a royal
manor, is a polling place (for E. Wore.) and petty
sess. town (which once sent 2 members to parl.),
near Birm. and Glouc. rail, and canal, at the
head of R. Salwarp, under the Lickey hills, which
are part of the backbone of England. Acres
1 1,230 ; pop. 9671 + 106, in the hardware (nails,
needles, etc.) and coarse linen manuf., and wool-
combing; houses 1974, straggling, and some an-
cient, with townhall, 7 chapels, 2 banks, savings bk.
(17,564Z., from 833 depositors), Edw. VI.'s gram,
school (64Z.) with a fellowship and scholarship at
Worcest. Coll. Oxon., free school, and Union poor
house; poor r. 3111Z. on 30,700Z. ; real prop.
13,6 12Z. ; charities 350Z., of which Bp. J. Hall's
(who was a native) 56Z. St. J.Baptist Vic. (Wore.)
val. 1205Z., patr. Dean and Chap. ; church, on high
ground, in norman and later styles, with a beautiful
spire 189 ft. high, and tombs of the Talbots of Graf-
ton Hall ; Christ Ch. Catshill Cur. 90Z., patr. Vicar.
At Barnet Green is a mineral spring, and some re-
mains of a small priory at Dodfoal Broms. P. L.
Union, contains the pars. etc. of Alvechurch, Bell-
broughton, Bromsgrove, Coston Hackett, Frank-
ley, Hagley, Pedmore, Stoke Prior, Redditch,
with Bentley-Pauncefoot, Webheath in Wore.,
Hunnington, and Romsley, in Salop, Tutnell-
and-Cobley, in Warwk. ; acres 45,685, pop. 22,427,
cases relieved (yr. 1846-7) 2991 (out-door 2777),
expend. 7368Z., prop, rated 96.191Z. Sup. Begistry
comprises the same up to Redditch, with Tarde-
bigg, in Wore., and St. Kenelin, iu Salop ; pop.
22,427 + 276. The New County Court district
corresponds with the Registry, except Alvechurch,
Coston Hackett, Redditch, and Tardebigg, which
go to Redditch. Mkt. D. Tues. Fairs, 24 June,
10 Oct. Baces, , on a course of about 1 m.
BROMSTON hmlt. (3) St. Peter's par. NE. Kent,
near Broadstairs, seat of G. Hanham, Esq.
BROMWICH, LITTLE, hmlt. (62) Aston par.
NW. Warwk. close to Cast. Bromwich. Pop. 262.
P. BROMWICH, WEST, par. (62) S. Offlow hund.
S. Stafford, 2m. SSE. of Wednesbury, on R. Tame,
Gd. Junct. rail., etc., a petty sess. and polling place
for S. Staff, and a great manufacturing seat of
late date. Acres 5380, abounding with iron and
coal ; pop. 26,121 + 1080, in the mines and various
branches of Birmingham hardware manufactures ;
houses 5007, with 4 churches, 11 chapels, large
gas works, which supply every part of Bir-
mingham, glass factories, foundries, and Union
poor house ; poor r. 4488Z. on 80.080Z. ; real prop.
97.114Z. of which 32.188Z. on mines and 25.221Z.
on iron works; charities 24Z. All Saints Cur.
(Lich.) val. 566Z., and Christ Church Cur. 400Z.,
patr. of both Earl Dartmouth of Sandwell House,
which stands on the site of that priory ; Trinity
Cur. 200Z., Archd. of Stafford and others ; St.
James Cur. 200Z., Incumbent, of Allsaints. B.
Hall, . Parsons, Jas. I.'s strong porter, was a
native. W. Bromw. P. L. Union, contains the
pars. etc. of W. Bromwich, Handsworth and Perry
Bar, Wednesbury, in Staff., Oldbury, Warley-
Salop and Warley-Wigorn in Wore. ; acres
20,485, pop. 52,596, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7)
2700 (out-door 2408), expend. 10,916Z., prop,
rated 1 75,61 9Z. Sup. Begistry comprises the same
up to Wednesbury in Staff. ; pop. 52,578 + 1739 ;
births (1845) 2184 (1067 being females, 108
illegit.) deaths 1217, marriages 837, of which
851 persons signed with marks ; 96 and ' many '
more deaths from cholera in 1849. For New
County Court district, which corresponds with
the Registry (except Handsworth and Perry Bar,
which go to Birmingham), see Oldbury.
P. M. BROMYARD par. (55) Broxash hund.
NE. Hereford. 13 m. NE. of Hereford (17 from
Spetchley on Midld. rail.), 125 from London, on
R. Frome, a polling and petty sess. town, contain-
ing Brockhampton, Linton, Norton, and Winslow,
made returns to parl. of 33-4 Edw. I. Acres 9310,
with hops, orchards, etc. of tnshp. 120; pop.
2927 and 1217; houses 258, irregular and many
of wood, with a chapel, bank, savings bk., Q.
Eliz. gram, school (37Z.), Jackson's almshouses,
and Union poor house; poor r. 350Z. on 30177. ;
real prop. 4528Z. ; charities 160/., of which Jack-
son's 57Z. St. Peter Vic. (Heref.) val. 600Z., patr.
the Portionists of the sinecure Beet., which is in
three parts 1st (suppressed), 2nd 70Z., 3rd 400Z.,
patr. Bishop. ; church, norman in part, with
tombs of a Baskerville and of Jackson, some-
time vicar. Buckenhall, R. Higginson, Esq. ;
Clayter Park, R. Danger-field, Esq. Bromij. P. L.
Union, contains the pars. etc. of Acton-Beau-
champ, Edwin-Loach, Lower Sapey, in Wore.,
Avenbury, Bre denbury, Bromyard, Colling-
ton, Cowarne (Little and Much), Cradley, Edwin,
Ralph, Evesbatch, Felton, Froome Bishop, Gren-
don Bishop, Moreton Jefferies, Ocle Pilchard,
Pencombe, Upper Sapey, Stanford Bishop, Stoke
Lacy, Tedstone (Delamere and Wafer), Thornbury,
Ullingswick, Wacton, Whitbourn, Wolferlow
with Grendon Warren, Hampton Charles, Linton
(where poor ho. is), Norton, with Brockhampton,
and Winslow, in Heref. ; acres 59,290, pop.
11,494; cases relieved (yr. 1846-7) 1344 (out-
door 1176), expend. 4879Z. ; prop, rated 71,901Z.
Sup. Registry comprises the same up to Wolfer-
low, wi'th Eggleton; pop. 11,493, decreasing.
The New County Court district corresponds with
the Registry. Mkt. D. Mon. grain, butter, cheese.
Fairs, Th. before 25 Mar., 3 May, Th. before
St. James's day, 29 Oct. Races, , on an oval
course of 1J m.
BRONCASTEULAN tnshp. (57) Llanbadarnfawr
par. NE. Cardigan. 12 m. of Aberystwith-208,
under Plinlimmon. Pop. 147. ' Eron ' or ' bryn,'
a hill or peak.
BRONCOED tnshp. (79) Mold par. Mid. Flint.
near Mold-191, contains Gwernymynnyd. Pop.
273 ; real prop. G669/.
Brongwyn (74) 3 m. ENE. of Llanfyllin-179,
NE. Montgomery. igiP BRONGWYN par. (41)
Troedyraur hand. SW. Cardigan. 2 m. NW. of
Newcastle Emlyn-229, near R. Teifi. Pop. 377 ;
poor r. 747. (Newcast. U.) ; real prop. 11377.
Living, a Cur. with Penbryn. Abercery, T. P.
Bronlvnilog (79) 8 m. WNW. of Denbigh, NW.
Denb. under Moelfra Isa.
BUONIARTH, UPPEU and LOWER, tnshps. (60)
Guilsfield par. NE. Montgomery, 4 m. NW. of
Wd.h Pool-171. Pop. 568; real prop. 24607.
BRONINGTON tnshp. (74) Hanmer par. SE.
Flint. 10 m. SW. of Wrexham-179. Pop. 744 ;
real prop. 4065Z.
P. BRONLUS tnshp. (56) Llanbister par. N.
Radnor. 10 m. W. of Knighton-165. Pop. 177.
BRONLLYS. See BRYNLLYS, Brecon.
Bronwydd (41) 4 m. NE. of Newcastle Emlyn
225, S. Cardigan. T. Lloyd, Esq.
BRONYGARTH tnshp. (74) St. Martin'spar. NW.
Salop, 4 m. NNE. of Oswestry-171. Pop. 324.
BRONYSCAWEN (41) Llanboidy par. W. Car-
mrthn. 12 m. W. by N. of Carmarthen, the site of a
british camp on the Via Jtdia Maritima, where, in
1692, some early roman coins (one of Domitian,
A. D. 91) were found, which are figured in Gough.
BRON-Y-WOOD tnshp. (60) Llandyssil par. SE.
Montgomery, 2 m. SE. of Montgomery- 168.
BROODLEAZE (13) 4 m. WNW. of Wantage-60,
BROOK (25) near Tavistock, W. Devon, has a
strong mineral spring.
BROOK par. (10) W. Medina lib. I. of Wight,
S. Hants. 7 m. SW. of Newport-82, a coast gd.
station, and a pleasant spot, near B. Chine, under
B. Down, where are some barrows and a camp,
with a fine view. Acres 750, with lignite andpy-
rite crystals ; pop. 150 + 3 ; poor r. /. (I. of Wight
Incorp.) ; real prop. 9707. St. Mary Rect. (Wine.)
val. 2507., patr. Rev. T. Bowerman. B. House,
Howe, Esq. who has the manor. i5f BROOK
hmlt. (15) Bramshaw par. SW. Hants. 6 m. SW.
of Romsey-73. Pop. 347. ^P BROOK tythg.
(11) King's Sombourn par. W. Hants. 6 m. N. of
Romsey-53. Pop. 86. giP BROOK par. (3) Chart
and Wye hunds. Scray Lathe, E. Kent, 3 m. NE.
of Ashford-53. Acres 540 ; pop. 158 ; poor r. 967.
rE. Ashf. U.); real prop. 8007. St. Mary Rect.
(Cant.) val. 1717., patr. Dean and Chap. gip BROOK
see GASPER, Somerset.