Brook Cliff Cottage (23) near Dartmouth, S.
Devon. R. Oldsworth, Esq. O B. END (46)
5 m. SSE. of Ampthill-45, S. Beds. 3iP B. END
(7) 3 m. S. of Beaconsfield-23, S. Bucks. j&FB.
End (46) 3 m. E. of Newport Pagnell-50, NE.
Bucks. SSP B. End (52) 2 m. NE. of Potton
-50, SW. Cambridge. 1& B. End (47) 4m.
WNW. of Royston-38, SE. Cambridge. (3 B.
End, 1 m. N. of the above.
P. BROOK END (35) 2 m. N. of Berkeley-1 14,
W. Gloucest. O B. Farm (52) 4 m. N. of Bedford,
N. Beds. ^ B. Farm, U m. NE. of the above.
. Farm (46) 7 m. SW. of Bedford, W. Beds.
B. Farm (46) 3 m. N. Woburn, W. Beds.
gsP B. Farm (51) 5 m. NE. of Linton, SE.
Cambridge. igP B. Farm (8) 6 m. NE. of Odi-
ham, NE. Hants. Gen. Orde. ^jp B. Field (80)
3 m. SW. of Stockport, NE. Cheshire. ^' B.
GREEN hmlt. (7) near Hammersmith, S. Middle-
sex, commanding a good view, has a chapel and
Islas's almsh. ^g" B. House Green (80) 2 m. E.
of Sandbach, SE. Cheshire. ^P B. House (71)
2 m. NW. of Alfreton, Mid. Derby. gap B.
House (48) 5 m. ENE. Maldon, E. Essex.
House (72) 5 m. E. of Burslem, N. Stafford.
G. M. Mason, Esq. ^ B. Hall (47) 5 m. E. of
Witham, E. Essex. US" B. Hall (62) 5 m. E. of
Coleshill, N. Warwick. Chetwood Esq. gig" B.
Hall. See Broke Hall, Wilts. ^ B. Hill (71)
4 m. E. of Alfreton, W. Notts. D'Ewes Coke, Esq.
on the Derby, border.
P. BROOK, NORTH (21) 2 m. from Exeter, SE.
Devon. ifip B., NORTH and SOUTH, tythgs. (12)
Mitcheldeverpar. Mid. Hants. 6 m. NNE. of Win-
chester-62. Pop. 826. Hg B. STREET (51) 6 m.
NNW. of Newmarket-61, E. Cambridge, near the
roman way to Caistor. Jgf B. Street (47) 1 m.
NW. of Halstead-46, N. Essex, on R. Colne.
^ B. STREET hmlt. (1) S. Weald par. -S. Essex,
1 m. WSW. of Brentwood, on R. Ingerburn and
roman way to Cochester, had a lepers' hosp. before
Edw. I., found, by the Bruyns. ig| B. Street
(1) 1 m. WNAV. of Waltham Abbey, SE. Herts.
on R. Lea. gap B- Street (8) 5 m. SW. of
Godalming, SW. Surrey.
P. BROOKBOROUGH vil. (28) Magherastephana
bar. E. Fermanagh, 10 m. ESE. of Enniskillen,
95 from Dublin, is a petty sess, and police station
with a chapel. Pop. 491 + 1. Fairs, 3rd Tu. in
the month, cattle, pigs, provisions.
P. BROOKE par. (66) Clavering hund. SE.
Norfolk, 7 m. S. of Norwich-108, belonged to
Bury abbey. Acres 2060 ; pop. 756 + 2 ; poor r.
4287. (Loddon U.); real prop. 42977.; charities
1567. of which town land 1457. St. Peter Vic.
(Norw.) val. 2167., patr. Ld. Chancellor; church,
has some frescoes, discovered 1849. B. Hall, Rev.
J. Holmes, who has the manor ; B. House, J. S.
Kett, Esq. Sir A. Cooper, the great surgeon, was
born at the curacy (1768-1841). * B. DEANERY,
archdy. of Norfolk, dioc. of Norwich, includes the
benefices in Clavering, Henstead, Loddon hunds.
giP BROOKE par. (64) Oakham-soke hund. W.
Rutland. 2 m. SSW. of Oakham-95, on R. Gwash,
has slight remains of a priory, found, by Hugh
de Ferrers (Rich. I.) as a cell to Kenilworth.
Acres 1560; pop. 113 + 3; poor r. 427. f Oakham
U.) ; real prop. 21667. ; charities, poor's land 177.
St. Peter Cur. with Oakham. ^ B. House, ( )
near , Dorset, seat of Earl Brooke and Warwick.
jaP B. House, or Kingshold (1) Lower Clapton,
Middlesex, an ancient seat of the Brookes, earls of
Warwick, and of the Hunsdons, now a lunatic
BROOKEND hmlt. (52) Northill par. E. Beds.
3 m. NW. of Biggleswade-45, is joined to Thorn-
BROOKEND hmlt. (46) Shenley par. N. Bucks.
3 m. WNW. of Feniy Stratford-44. Pop. 264.
BROOKESBY par. (63) E. Goscote hund. N. Lei-
cester. 5 m. WSW. of Melton Mowbray-105, on R
Wreak, and Midld. rail. Acres 640 ; pop. 20 + 1
poor r. 107. ; (M. Mowbray U.) ; real prop. 28137
St. Michael Rect. (Pet.) val. 2507., patr. Lad;
Listowel of B. Hall, formerly seat of the Villierses,
where the first Duke of Buckingham was born
BROOKFIELD GREEN (90 J 3 m. SSW. of Orms-
kirk, SJT. Lancash. gg= B. Hall (81) 5 m. E.
ofCastleton, NW. Derby. J. Hoi worthy, Esq.
^T B. Hall (54) 5 m. E. of Kidderminster, N.
Worcester, C. Noel, E.
Brookhall (13) near Londonderry, B. Beresford,
BROOKHAM (1) 2 m. WSW. of Romford-12,
5 W. Essex, on E. Union rail.
Brookhamptmi (44) 3 m. E. of Cheltenham, Mid.
Gloucest. ifiP BROOKHAMPTOX tythg. (13) New-
ington par. SE. Oxford. 6 m. NW. of Watlington
-45. Pop. 113. giP BROOKHASIPTOS tnshp. (61)
Holdgate par. 5. Salop, 7 m. SW. of Much Wen-
lock-148. Pop. 84. gaT BROOKHAMFTON tnshp.
( ) Ombersley par. Worcest.
Brookheath House (15) 2 m. NW. of Fording-
bridge, W. Hants. J. Seton, Esq.
BrookhiU (9) Galmoy bar. NE. Kilkenny.
gip BrookhiU (101) Clanmorris bar. S. Mayo, J.
Lambert, Esq. ^" BrookhiU (32) W. Shel-
mah'ere bar. Mid. Wexford. Rev. W. Bell.
BROOKHOTTSE hmlt. ( ) Laughton par. WR.
York. 5 m. SW. of TickhiU-157.
BROOKISTONE hmlt. (72) Cheadle par. N. Staf-
ford, near Cheadle-146.
P. BROOKLAND par. (4) Aloesbridge Shepway
lathe, S. Kent. 4 m. W. of Romney-70, in Rom.
Marsh. Acres 1500; pop. 462+3; poor r. 381/.
(Romney M. U.) ; real prop. 4997Z, ; charities 21.
St. Augustine Vic. (Cant.) val. 93/., patr. Dean
and Chap. ; church, early eng.
Brooklands (11) 4 m. ESE. of Southampton, S.
Hants. R. Shedden, Esq. igP BROOKLANDS (8)
3 m. SSE. of Chertsey, N. Surrey.
P. BROOKLAWN (23) 2 m. SW. of Dublin, S.
BROOKLODGE vil. (64) Barrymore bar. E. Cork,
6 m. NE. of Cork, near Brook Lodge. Pop. 572.
giP Brooklodge (58) 6 m. S. of Tuam, Mid. Galway,
M. J. Blake, Esq.
Brookman's Park (7) 3 m. S. of Hatfield, 8.
Herts. Mrs. Gaussen, formerly seat of the great
BROOKROYD hmlt. (88) Batley tnshp. W. R.
York. 6 m. W. of Wakefield-182.
Brooks (47) 6 m. WSW. of Dunmow, NW. Essex.
Brooks Fell End (91) 4 m. E. of Garstang, Mid.
Lancash. ^ B. Place (8) 4 m. NW. of Leather-
head, N. Surrey, Adml. Sir G. Moore.
BrookweU Hall (7) 3 m. S. of London, NE.
Brookwood Park (11) 4 m. SSE. of Alresford,
E. Hants, W. Greenwood, Esq., a meet for the
H. H. hounds.
BROOM hmlt. (46) Southill par. E. Beds. 1 m.
SW. ofBiggleswade-45. Pop. 365. B.Hall ;
B. Spinny, 1 m. SW. gg BROOM tnshp. ( ) St.
Oswald par. Mid. Durham, 2. m. W. of Durham
-258. Acres 1450 ; pop. 108 + 1, colliers ; poor r.
321. (Durh. U.) ; real prop. 1158Z. B. Hall, i m.
NW. s?~ BROOM (55) 1 m. N. of Pembridge
-148, .ZV. Hereford. g^ BROOM tnshp. (55) with
Rowton-Stokesay, Clungerford, and Hopesay pars.
S. Salop, 7 m. SE. of Bishop's Castle-159. Pop.
129. $3P BROOM par. (54) S. Seisdon hund. S.
Stafford, locally in Worcest. 4 m. S. of Stourbridge
-122. Acres 550 ; pop. 129 + 2 ; poor r. 25Z. (Kid-
derminster U.) ; real prop. 1958Z., charities 2Z. St.
Peter Rect. (Wore.) val. 320Z., patr. Sir E. D.
Scott, Bt. B. House, W. Hill, Esq. g^ BROOM
hmlt. (54) Bidford par. S W. Warwick. 2 m. S. of
Alcester-103. Pop. 391. B. Court, J m. S.
BROOM HALL, hmlt. (82) Ecclesall-Bierlow
tnshp. W. R. York. 3 m. SW. of Sheffield-162.
f^ B. House (89) at Pendleton, S W. Lancash.
J. Touchet, Esq. 3 B. House (82) 2 m. N. of
Worksop, NW. Notts, i^p B. House ( ) near
Keightley, W. R. York. J. Butterfield, Esq.
Broom Close (12) 3 m. NE. of Newbury, Mid.
Berks, ^r B. Edge (80) 6 m. NNW. of Knuts-
ford, .ZV. Cheshire. ^ B. Hall (82) 3 m. N. of
Chesterfield, NE. Derby. ^ B. Hall (74) m. S.
of Oswestry, NW. Salop. P. T. Aubrey, Esq.
^= B. Hall (8) near Bushy Park, S W. 'Middle-
Northmbrld. ^" B. Hall (8) 4 m. S. of Dorking,
. Surrey, J. Labouchere, Esq. rgp B. HALL
hmlt. (82) Ecclesall-Bierlow tnshp. W. R. York.
3 m. SW. of Sheffield-162.
. Hill (13) 3 m.
N. of Abingdon, N. Berks. ^ B. Hill ( ) near
Stratton, NE. Cornwall, J. Veale, Esq. gg= B.
Hill ( ) 4 m. NE. of Brampton-311, N. Cumbrld.
(gap" B. Loch, in the Minsh, NW. Ross, on the
coast, is 13 m. long, and contains Priest, Summer,
and Martin Islds. with the vils. of Ullaport and
Lochbroom, on the S. side. Little Loch B. SW.
of it is 9 m. long. fiP B. PARK tnshp. ( ) El-
lingham par. E. Northmbrld. 5 m. W. of Alnwick
-308, W. Burrell, Esq. Pop. 63. g^ B. Well
( ) 7 m. ESE. of Longtown, N. Cumbrld.
Broombank, 1 m. SW. of Westruther, W. Berwick.
BROOMBILL, or BRONBIL, hmlt. (37) Margam
par. W. Glamorgan. 2 m. SE. of Aberafon-192.
Pop. 202, copper miners.
BROOME par. (66) Loddon hund. SE. Norfolk,
2 m. NE. of Bungay-106. Acres 1470; pop.
610 + 11; poor r. 251Z. (Loddon U.) ; real prop.
2856Z. ; charities 681. St. Michael's Rect. (Norw.)
val. 214Z., patr. Sir W. F. Middleton, Bt. B.
HaH . gg BROOME tnshp. (61) Cardington
par. Mid, Salop. 5 m. NE. of Church Stretton
-158. Pop. 13. 3 B. Park (3) 7 m. SE. of
Canterbury, E. Kent, Sir H. Oxenden, Bt.
Broomfield ( ) 8 m. SW. of Gateshead-275, N.
P. BROOMFIELD par. (1) Chelmsford hund. Mid.
Essex, 2 m. N. of Chelmsford-29, on R. Chelmer.
Acres 1980 ; pop. 820 + 8 ; poor r. 4417. (Chelmsf.
U.) ; real prop. 5522Z. ; charities, church lands 25Z.
St. Mary Vic. (Roch.) val. 161/., patr. Bishop of
London. B. Lodge, P. King, Esq. gaP BROOM-
FIELD par. (6) Eyhorne hund. Aylesford lathe,
Mid. Kent, 6 m. SE. of Maidstone-34, near King's
Wood. Acres 1000, part in hops ; pop. 146 + 2 ;
poor r. 1071. (Hollingbourn U.) ; real prop. 1527Z.
St. Margaret Cur. with Leeds, tgf Broomfield
(73) 6 m. NW. of Shrewsbury, W. Salop.
giP BROOMFIELD par. (20) Andersfield hund. W.
Somerset. 5 m. SW. of Bridgwater-139. Acres
4050 ; pop. 497 ; poor r. 269Z. (Bridgw. U.) ; real
prop. 4154Z. ; charities 22Z. Living, a Cur. (Ba.
and W.) val. 78Z., patr. Col. Hamilton ; ch.yard
has a stone cross. B. House, A. Cross, Esq.
igT Broomfield (25) Bantry bar. Mid. Wexford,
W. R. Farmer, Esq. g3 B. Grove (7) 2 m. SSW.
of Enfield, NE. Middlesex, H. P. Powis, Esq.
giP B. House (7) near Clapham, N.E. Surrey,
3. Deacon, Esq. giP B. House ( ) near Kid-
derminster, .ZV. Worcester. 3. Broome, Esq.
BROOMFLEET tnshp. ( ) South Cave par. E.
R. York, 8 m. SW. of Beverley-183. Acres 1220 ;
pop. 206 ; poor r. 66Z. (Howden U.) ; real prop.
2317Z. ; charities 1Z.
BROOMHALL tnshp. (73) Wrenbury par. S.
Cheshire, 3 m. SSW. of Nantwich-164. Acres
1130 ; pop. 157. g^ Broomhall, 2 m. SSW. of
Dunfermline, SW. Fife, on the Frith of Forth,
Earl of Elgin.
BROOMHAUGH tnshp. ( ) St. Andrew's -By-
well par. S. Northmbrld. 8 m. ESE. of Hexham-
279. Pop. 100.
Broomhead Hall (81) 8 m. NW. of Sheffield,
W. R. York, on the Derby, border, J. Rimming-
Broomhill, 1 m. NE. of Kirkintilloch, W. Dum-
barton. $aP Broomhill, 1 m. NE. of Lochmaben,
Mid. Dumfries, near R. Annan.
BROOMHILL par. (4) Romney Marsh lib. Kent,
and Goldspur hund. Sussex, 3 m. NNE. of Rye
-63, is a member of Romney cinque port. Acres
3580; pop. 123 + 4; poor r. 17f. (Rye U.); no
church, ijip- Brooinhill, near Hamilton, NE.
Lanark, on R. Avon, was the old seat of the
Hamiltons, Lords Belhaven. ^^" BROOMHILL
par. Norfolk, is joined to WEETING. B. House,
close to Brandon, SW. Norfolk. 63" B. Loch, 3
m. NW. of Lockerby, Mid. Dumfries. i^ B.
Manor (54) Belbroughton par. N. Worcester. 5 m.
ESE. of Kidderminster-126.
Broomholm, 2 m. S. of Langholm, E. Dumfries.
on R. Esk, seat of the Maxwells ; with coal and
lead on the estate.
BROOMHOLM PRIORY. See BROMHOLME, Nor-
BROOMHOPE tnshp. ( ) with Buteland, Birt-
ley par. S. Northmbrld. 3 m. ESE. of BelUngham
-294. Pop. 145.
Broomhouse, 2 m. NE. of Dunse, E. Berwk. on
R. Whiteadder. igr BROOMHOUSE hmlt. ( )
Abbeylands tnshp. E. Northmbrld. 1 m. NE. of
Alnwick-308. Pop. 40.
BROOMIEKNOWE hmlt. Heriot par. SE. Edin-
BROMTELAW, NORTH and SOUTH, Glasgow city,
N. Lanark, lie along the great basin, which is 1 m.
long, 300 to 400 ft. wide (with 14 to 16 ft. water),
of which a fine view is had from the 7-arched
granite bridge by Telford, 500 ft. long by 60 wide.
Pop. 358 and 304.
Brooming Grove (5) 7 m. NE. of Lewes, Mid.
Sussex, W. B. Hughes, Esq,
BROOMLANDS vil. Inchinnan par. NE. Renfrew.
4 m. N. of Paisley-51. Pop. 79.
Broomlee Quarry, 9 m. NW. of Peebles, N W.
BROOMLEY tnshp. ( ) St. Peter's Bywell par. S.
Northumbrld. 7 m. SE. of Hexham-279. Pop. 314.
Broompark, 2 m. NNW. of Bathgate, W. Lin-
BROOMRIDGE hmlt. ( ) Ford rar. N. Nor-
thmbrld. 6 m. N. of Wooler, is near Haltwell
Sweire, where Sir H. Percy defeated a party of
Scots under Bothwell in 1558, and is supposed
to be (in common with BRINKBURN) the Brunan-
burgh, where Athelstane, in 938, beat the Scots,
Danes, and their allies.
Broomrig, 2 m. N. of Dumfries, S. Dumfries.
Brooms, The (72) 1 m. S. of Stone, Mid. Staf-
ford, W. B. Meeke, Esq.
Broomshields ( ) 4 m. NE. of Wolsingham,
Mid. Durham, J. Greenwell, Esq.
Broomstain Bridge (88) over R. Teme, 6 m. E.
of Manchester, SE. Lancash.
BROOMTHORP hmlt. (69) E. Rudham par. N.
Norfolk, 5 m. W. of Fakenham-109. Acres 340 ;
Broomtrees (55) 4 m. S. of Bromyard, E. Here-
Broomville (14) Forth bar. E. Carlow, 3. But-
Broomy Close (43) 8 m. S. of Hereford, S. Herefd.
^" B. Hill (55) 3 m. W. of Leominster, N. Here-
ford. ^|" B. LODGE ext. par. (15) with New
Forest, Lower Fordingbridge hund. SW. Hants.
2 m. N. of Ringwood-92. Pop. 17.
Broomyards, 7 m. SW. of Peebles, S. Peebles.
P. BRORA vil. Clyne par. 8K. Sutherld. 11 in.
NE. of Dornoch, 234 from Edinburgh, on B. Water,
which rises near Cairn Furan, and runs 25 m. SE.
thro' the wild Strathbrora and B. Loch (4 m. by
1) to the Dornoch Frith. Pop. 123, coal miners and
fishermen. The coalfield, a strip along the coast
20 m. by 3, is a remarkable example of a pseudo-
coal basin in the super-secondary strata, above
new sandstone or red marl. It corresponds with
the eastern moorlands of York, consisting of a
bituminous jet with layers of pyritous shale, in
which fires sometimes break out. (See Ure's
Diet. art. Pitcoal.)
BROSAEDTHYDD tnshp. (74) Gwddelwern par.
NE. Merioneth. 2 m. N. of Corwen-194.
P. M. BROSELEY par. (61) Wenlock boro', E.
Salop, 13 m. SE. of Shrewsbury, 146 from Lon-
don, on R. Severn, near Colebrooke dale. Acres
1550, with iron and coal (cannel coal to the S.) ;
pop. 4829 + 53, in the mines, foundries, and in
making tobacco pipes, fire bricks, tiles, etc. ;
houses 1062, with 4 chapels, townhall, bank, and
prison ; poor r. 1227 on 9558Z. (Madeley U.) ;
real prop. 7103Z. ; charities 20/. St. Leonard Sect.
(Heref.) val. with Linley 4321., patr. Lord Forester
of Willey. Jackfield Cur. val. 40Z., patr. F. B.
Harries, Esq. M kt. D. Wed. Fairs, last Tues.
Apr. 28 Oct.
BROSNA par. (23-4, 31-2) Trughanacmy bar.
E.Kerry, 11 m. SE. of Listowel-171, on R. Cly-
dagh. Acres 11,960, mostly bog and mountain ;
pop. 2871 + 70. Living, a Rect. (Lk. A. A.) val.
159/., patr. Bishop.
BROSNA hmlt. (42) Clonisk bar. S W. King's
Co. a police station, on the Little B. River, which
runs 10 m. NW. by Birr, etc., to the Shannon,
2 m. below Bannagher. Pop. 142.
Brosna River (32) rises out of Lough Ennell,
S. Westmeath, and passes Kilbeggan, Clara
(King's Co.), Ballycumber, and Ferbane, to R.
Shannon, 2 m. above Bannagher.
Brother Loch, 4 m. W. of Eaglesham, SE.
Renfreio. B m. round.
Brother Water. See Broad Water, Cumbrld.
BROTHERCROSS HUNDRED (68-9) N. Norfolk,
contains the pars, of Burnham-Deepdale rect.
with B.-Nortonr., B.-Overy vie. (with B. Ulph),
B.-Thorpe r., B.-Sutton, B. Ulph r., B.-Westgate
r. (with B.-Deepdale), North r. and South t.
Creake, and Waterten r. ; acres 18,720, pop. 4382,
houses 913. See BURNHAM DEANERY.
Brotheridge Green (43 or 44) 2 m. W. of Upton-
on- Severn, S. Worcester.
BROTHERTOFT chplry. (70) Kirton par. SE.
Lincoln. 4 m. WNW. of Boston-113. Acres 900 ;
pop. 122 ; poor r. 68/> (Boston U.) ; real prop.
1867Z. ; charities, Mableson's 431.
Brotherton, 3 m. SW. of Bervie, & Kincardine.
D. Scott, Esq.
P. BROTHERTON par. (87) Lower Barkstone
Ash hund. W. R. York. 3 m. ENE. of Pontefract
-177, on R. Aire, near York rail, contains By-
rorne and Sutton. Acres 2120, with limestone,
of town 790 ; pop. 1744 + 12, and 1613 + 62 ;
poor r. 317/. (Gt. Preston Incorp.) ; real prop.
3504/. j charities 121. St. Edward Vic. (Yk.) val.
192/., patr. Dean and Chap. Thomas Plantage-
net, surnamed De Brotherton, son of Edw. I. and
ancestor of the Dukes of Norfolk, was born 1300,
near the church, while his mother was here with
a hunting party.
BROTHERWICK tnshp. ( ) Warkworth par.
E. Northmbrld. 6 m. ESE. of Alnwick-308, on R.
Coquet. Pop. 10.
Brothock Water, rises in Kirkden par. S.
Forfar. and runs to the N. Sea, at Aber-brothock
Brotreaux Castle (30) 5 m. K of Camelford, N.
BROTTON par. ( ) E. Langbourgh lib. N. R.
York. 6 m. ENE. of Gainsborough-245, on the
coast, contains Kilton and Skiningrove. Acres
3560, of tnshp. 1800 ; pop. 468, of tnshp. with
Saltburn 319; poor r. 136Z. (Gainsboro ' U.) ; real
prop. 2161Z. Living, a Cur. with Skelton ; church,
commands a fine view.
BROUGH tnshp. (81) with Stratton, Hope par.
N.Derby. 3 m. ESK of Castleton-164, has at the
junction of Rs. Brad well and Noe, near.B. Castle,
a roman camp, 103 yds. by 90, where coins, bricks,
etc., have been found. Pop. 80.
BROUGH (83) South Collingham par. E. Notts.
4m. NE. of Newark-124, on Fosse way.
P. M. BROUGH, or B.-UNDER-STAINMOOR, par.
( ) East ward. E. Westmrld. 7 m. SE. of Appleby,
271 from London, the roman Veter<e, on Wathng St.
and R. Eden, near Pres. and Lan. rail, contains Sow-
erby, Hilbeck, and Stainmore cur. and the ruined
towers of the castle, b. before the Conquest, which
came to the Cliffords,was sacked by WilLof Scotland
1175, and repaired by the famous Countess Anne
1660. Acres 22,650, with lead, coal, limestone ;
pop. 1694, of town 899, some miners and stock-
ing knitters ; houses 150 ( ?), divided into Church
B. and M kt. B., by R. Hellbeck, or Hilbeck, with 3
chapels, corn-mills, free school on the foundation
of BrunskilPs hosp. found. 1506; poor r. 321Z.
on 2444Z. (E.Ward U.) ; real prop. 3381Z. ; chari-
ties 99/. St. Michael Vic. (Carl.) val. 492Z., patr.
Queen's Coll. Oxon. ; church, which existed at
'Domesdy.' has a tower b. 1513, painted windows,
pulpit made of one stone, and old mons. Stain-
more Cur. val. 119Z., patr. Earl of Thanet's heir, who
has the manor. There is a mineral well near the
church ; coins and other remains have been found.
Hilbeck Hall, was an old seat of the Blenkin-
sops. Lord mayor Buckle was born at Stainmore,
near which is the ancient Re or Rere cross, mark-
ing the county border. Mkt. D. Thurs. Fairs,
Th. before Whitsuntide ; 30 Sept. at B. HiU, cattle,
merchandise ; 2nd Th. Mar. Apr. cattle.
BROUGH, or B. DUNNET, vil. 4 m. N. of Castle-
town-294, N. Caithness, near Dunnet head, has
a good fishing-harbour, fif BROUGH, Sanday
isld. Orkney Islds. on B. Bay. tfiT BROUGH, or
B. FERRY, hmlt. (86) Elloughton par. E. R. York.
10 m. W. of Hull-171, on Leeds and Selby rail, and
R. Humber, is the roman Ad Petuariam on Ermine
St. opposite Ad Ahum. Pop. 170. gap" BROUGH
tnshp. ( )Skipsea par. E. R. York. 9 ra. ESE. of
Gt. Driffield-196, is joined to DRINGHOE. Pop.
90. igiP BROUGH tnshp. ( ) Catterick par. N.
R. York. 5m. SE. of Richmond -233, had an hos-
pital found, by a Marmion about Edw. I.'s time.
Acres 1050 ; pop. 88 + 1 ; poor r. 58Z. (Richm.U.) ;
real prop. 15731. B. Hall, W. Lawson, Esq.
jjaT Brough, or Barrow Fort, 10 m. N. of Ler-
wick, E. Shetld, Islds. gipBROUGH-HALL hmlt.
(72 or 73) Routon par. W. Staffd. 5 m. W. of
Stafford-141. igiP B. HEAD. See BURGH HEAD,
Elgin. ^ B. Loch, near the Monaghlea moun-
tains, NE. Inverness, (gap" B.-So\VERBY tnshp.
( ) Brough par. Westmrld. as above. Pop. 142 ;
poor r. 71.
BROUGHALL tnshp. (73) "Whitchurch par. N.
Salop, 2 m. E. of Whitchurch- 163. Pop. 203.
&. BROUGHAM par. ( ) West ward, N. West-
mrld. 1 m. S. of Penrith-283, the roman Brova-
cum, and saxon Burgham, on Rs. Eamont and Low-
ther, contains Hornby, Moorhouses, and Woodside,
and the fine vaulted room, etc. of the castle, b. by
Roger de Clifford after the Conquest, with the
motto " This made Roger," which was burnt by
the Scots 1412, but was restored, and visited by
Jas. 1. 1617. Acres 6580 ; pop. 249 + 7 ; poor r. 251.
(W. Ward U.) ; real prop. 34207. ; charities 41.
St. Ninian (commonly Nine Kirks) Rect. (Carl.)
val. 290., patr. Earl of Thanet; church, reb. 1656,
by the Countess Anne Clifford, who also reb. the
castle, which had suffered in the civil war, and
St. Wilifred's chapel, and raised the pillars in
memory of her last parting with her mother.
B. Hall, Lord Brougham and Vaux, Lord Chan-
cellor, 1830-34, whose family were settled here
before the Conquest, stands near the castle on a
point commanding a fine view, for which it is
sometimes called the Windsor of the North. In
the neighbourhood are Mayburgh's Round and
Arthur's Round Table druid remains; Clifton
Moors, referred to in ' Waverley ; ' Hornby Hall ;
and Whinfells forest.
P. M. BROUGHSHANE vil. (33) Lower Antrim
bar. Mid. Antrim, on R. Braid, a police station,
with Racavan church, a chapel and dispensary.
MM. D. Tues. Fairs, 17 June. 3 Sept.
BROUGHTON par. (46) 2 m. NE. of Aylesbury,
Mid. Bucks, is joined to BURTON. B. House, seat
of the late G. Senior, Esq.
BROUGHTON par. (46) Newport hund. NE.
Bucks. 3 m. SE. of Newport Pagnel-50, near
R. Ouzel, has a meet for the Rothschild hounds
at B. Farm. Acres 1020 ; pop. 168 ; poor r. 60/.
(Newport U.) ; real prop. 1732Z. ; charities, Dun-
comb's 4:11. St. Lawrence Rcct. (Oxon.) val.
97Z., patr. J. Praed, Esq. who holds the manor.
igiP BROUGHTON tnshp. (74) Wrexham par.
SE. Denbigh, near Wrexham-179, and Offa's
Dj'ke. Pop. 1449 + 18, in the coal, iron, and lead
mines, and foundries ; poor r. 357Z. (Wrexh. U.) ;
real prop. 3831Z. tgiP BROUGHTON tnshp. (79)
Hawarden par. SE. Flint. 2 m. SE. of Hawarden
-189. Pop. 405 ; real prop. 1638Z. St. Mary- Cur.
with Hawarden. Hawarden Park, Sir S.R.Glynne,
Bt. gif BROUGHTON hmlt. (36) Monknash par.
<S. Glamorgan. 5m. SW. of Cowbridge-173.
P. BROUGHTON, i. e. Borough Town, par.
(12) Lower Thorngate hund. W. Hants. 3 m.
WSW. of Stockbridge-66, contains Frenchmoor
and Pittleworth, near the roman Brigce on the
road to Salisburv. Acres 4500 ; pop. 1009 + 21 ;
poor r. 324Z. (Sto'ckb. U.) ; real prop. 5133Z. ; cha-
rities 110Z., of which 69Z. to Dowse's school. St.
M&ryRect. (Win.) val. withBossington 748Z., patr.
H. Lee, Esq. Fair, 1st Mon. June. igaP BROUGH-
TON par. (52) Hurstingstone hund. E. Hunts.
5 m. NE. of Huntingdon-50, on a branch of
R. Nen. Acres 2950; pop. 363; poor r. 180Z.
(St. Ive'sU.) real prop. 3227Z. All Saint's Rect.
(Ely) val. 283Z., patr. Rev. T. Johnson. B. Folly,
1 m. SE. ; B. Lodge, 1 m. S. ; B. Tithe Farm,
1m. N. ; B. Wood Farm, 1 m. NW. ^" BROUGH-
TON tnshp. (89) Manchester par. and boro', SE.
Lancash. 1 m. N. of Manchester-183, contains
KersalL Acres 960 ; pop. 3794 + 221 ; poor r. 465Z.
(Salford U.) ; real prop. 40.262Z. Living, a Cur.
(Manch.) val. Z., patr. Trustees. B. Hall,
Col. Clowes, through the Chethams and Stanleys,
was partly burnt 1847. ggp BROUGHTON chplry.
( ) Preston par. Mid. Lancash. 2 m. N. of Pres-
tou-217, near Lancaster rail, contains Dorton.
Acres 2570 ; pop. 695 + 7 ; poor r. 163Z. (Preston
U.) ; real prop. 5271Z. ; charities 144Z., of which
129Z. to school. Living, a CW.(Manch.)vaU06Z.,
patr. Hulme's Trustees. B. Row, 1 m. NE.
63 BROUGHTON par. (86) E. Mauley wap. N.
Lincoln. 3 m. NW. of Glanford Brigg-155, on R.
Anchholme, contains Castlethorpe (near the ro-
man Prcetorium, on Ermine St,), Gokewell, and
Manby, with remains of a nunnery. Acres 7880 ;
pop. 913 ; poor r. 3547. (Glanford U.) ; real prop.
80697. St. Man' Rect. (Line.) val. 8241., patr. E.
A. Stephens, Esq. ; church, has brass of knight and
lady, holding hearts (1370). B. Carr Side, 1 m.
NW. at Castlethorpe. Some lands here were held
by this curious tenure : OnPalin Sunday the holder
cracked a whip, with a silver penny at its end,
three times in the porch, where he stayed till the
second lesson, then went in and cracked it
thrice over the clergyman's head, then kneeling
before him while the lesson was read, he pre-
sented him 24<i in a green silk purse, and waited
the rest of the service in the choir.
P. BROUGHTON par. (52) Orlingbury hund.
Mid. Northmptn. 3 m. SW. of Kettering-74. Acres
2560; pop. 593 + 6; poor r. 300/. (Ketter. U.);
real prop. 34717. ; charities, Thompson's 131. St.
Andrew .ftccf. (Pet.) val. 394/., patr. Duke of Buc-
cleugh, sometime held by R.Bolton, the puritan,
a native (whose brass is in the ch. 1671), as was