Copyright
James A Sharp.

A new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) online

. (page 80 of 293)
Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 80 of 293)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Bagshaw the nonconformist (d. 1629). B. Lodge,
1 m. K. igg &. BROUGHTON par. (45) Bloxham
hund. N.Oxford. 2 m. SW. of Banbury-71, contains
N. Newington. Acres 1950 ; pop. 629 + 9 ; poor r.
1157. (Banb. U.) ; real prop. 48537.; charities,
Lady Say and Sele's 2457. St.Mary Rect. (Oxon.)
val. "5397., patr. Rev. C. F. Wyatt, rector ; church,
later eng. has tombs of the Broughtons, Wykhams,
and Twistletons, ancestors of Lord Say and Sele of

B. Castle, which is moated, has many arms and
portraits, and is in part as old as Edw. I. gaP
BROUGHTON par. 10 m. WSW. of Peebles-22, W.
Peebles, on B. Water, which runs to R. Tweed,
has some peel or border castle ruins. Size 3 m.
by 2, hilly pasture ; pop. 274, of vil. (which
was reb. by Dickson of Kilbucho) 85 ; real prop.
15797. ; for poor 1247. Living, with Glenholm
and Kilbucho (Presb. Biggar) val. 2317., patr.
Renny of Danevale. Fair, 3 Oct. ^T BROUGH-
TON par. (73) Albrighton division, JV. Salop, 3 m.
SSVV. of Wem-163, contains Yorton. Acres 1120 ;
pop. 188 + 2 ; poor r. 367. (Wem. U.) Living, a
Cur. (Lich.) val. 707., patr. Sir R. Hill, Bt. B.
Villa, 1 m. N. &T BUOUGHTON tnshp. (60)
Bishop's Castle par. S W. Salop, 1 m. NW. of
Bishop's Castle- 159. Pop. 70. giT BROUGHTON
tnshp. (61) Claverlv par. E.Salop, 4m. E. of
Bridgnorth-139. Pop. 80. j&* BROUGHTON
hmlt. (21) St. Mary Stoke par. S> Somerset. 3m.
SE. of Taunton-141. Pop. 26. 83T BROUGHTON
tnshp. (73) Eccleshall par. W. Stafford. 5 m.
NW. of Eccleshall-148, near N. West rail. Acres
590 ; pop. 17. Living, a Cur. (Lich.) val. 1297.,
patr. Sir J. D. Broughton ofB.Hall. ijgp BROUGH-
TON hmlt. (54) Whitchurch par. SW. War-
wick. 5m. S. of Stratford-on-Avon-96. Pop. 18.
^T BROUGHTON tnshp. ( ) Appleton-le-Street
par. N. R. York. 2 m. NW. of New Malton-217,
had an hospital found, by Eustace Fitz-John.
Acres 800; pop. Ill; poor r. 637. (Melton U.);
real prop. 11227.

BROUGHTON ASTLEY par. (63) Guthlaxton
hund. S. I^eicest. 5 m. N. of Luthenvorth-89, on
Midld. rail., contains Primethorp and Sutton-in-
the-Elms. Acres 1930; pop. 728; poor r. 4477.
(Lutterw. U.); real prop. 53867. ; charities 19/.
St. Mary Rect. (Pet.) val. 6747., patr. Rev. J.
Raven, rector, sometime held by Bp. White.

P. BROUGHTON BRANT par. (70) Loveden wap.
W. Lincoln.! m. E. of Newark-124, on R. Brant.
Acres 4490; pop. 650 + 2; poor r. 1747. (Newark
U.) ; real prop. 67277. ; charities 177. St. Helen
Rect. (Line.) val. 5607., patr. Sir R. Button, Bt.
^T B. CHURCH par. (72) Appletree hund. S W.
Derby. 9 m. W. of Derby-126, contains Sapperton.
Acres 2380 ; pop. 652 +" 13 ; poor r. 2247. (Burton



BRO



283



U.) ; real prop. 40787. ; charities 527., of which
307. to school. St. Michael Vic. (Lich.) val. 2287.,
patr. J. Broadhurst, Esq. gaT B.-DRAKES (54)
Pershore par. 5. Worcester. 2 m. NNW. of Per-
shore-102.

P. BROUGHTON (EAST), or BROUGHTON FIELD,
chplry. ( ) Cartmel par. N. Lancash. 2 m. N. of
Cartmel-254. Acres 2830 ; pop. 458 + 4 ; poor r.
1907. (Ulverstone U.) ; real prop. 35667. St. Peter
Cur. (Ches.) val. 677., patr. Earl of Burlington.
B. Grove, R. Machell, Esq. ; B. Hall, G. Rigg,
Esq. ; B. Lodge, . ^- B. END (46) 3 m. W.
of Ampthill-45, W. Beds, ig^" B. GIFFORD par.
(14) Bradford hund. W. Wilts. 3m. NE. of Brad-
ford-100, near R. Avon. Acres 1640 ; pop. 741 ;
poor r. 5207. (Bradf. U.) ; real prop. 40237. ; cha-
rities 327. St. Mary Rect. (Sal.) val. 3557., patr.
Ld. Chancellor; church, has brass of R. Longe
(1620). g^- B., GREAT, tnshp. ( ) Bride-
kirk par. W. Cumbrld. 3 m. W. of Cockermo'-306,
on R. Derwent. Pop. 562, coal miners ; poor
r. 1607. (Cockerm.U.) ; real prop. 55537., of which
10917. on mines ; charities, Ashley's school and
hosp. 307. gap" B., LITTLE, tnshp. as above J m
N. Pop. 344, some potters and pipe-makers;
poor r. 517. ; real prop. 14477. A. Fletcher, ma-
thematician and botanist, was a native. $3P B.,
GREAT and LITTLE, tnshp. ( ) Kirkby-in-Cleve-
land par. N. R. York. 2 m. SE. of Stokesley-238.
Acres 2780 ; pop. 511 + 23 ; poor r. 2227. (Stokesl.
U.) ; real prop. 40017. i^T B. HACKETT par.
(54) Upper Pershore hund. Mid. Worcest. 5m.
N. of Pershore-102. Acres 390, blue limestone ;
pop. 154 ; poor r. 347. (Persh. U.) ; real prop. 5397. ;
charities 27. St. Leonard Rect. (Wore.) val. 737.,
patr.Ld. Chancellor. ^ B.Hall (50) 4m.E. byN.
of Stowinarket, Mid. Sufflk., was the old seat of
the Wingfields. g3P B\-IN-AREDALE par. ( )
Staincliff wap. W. R. York. 4 m. W.of Skipton-216,
near R. Aire, contains B. Elslack, and is supposed
to be a roman station. Acres 3950 ; pop. 407,
tnshp. 219, some in cotton trade ; poor r. 447.
(Skipt. U.) ; real prop. 48257. All Saints Viet.
(Yk.) val. 1907., patr. Chr. Ch. Coll. Oxon. B.
Hall, Sir C. Tempest, Bt. who has the manor, and
is famous for his fine breeds of cattle, some of
which were sold 1849. gaT B.-nf-FuRNEss.
See BROUGHTON,WEST, below. flaT-B. Lodge Farm
(46) 5 m. NNW. of Woburn, W. Beds. gaF B.,
NETHER, par. (71) Framland hund. N. Leicest.
5 m. NW. of Melton Mowbray-105, near B. Hill.
Acres 21 10; pop. 412, stocking knitters ; poor r.
1577. (M. MowbrayU.) ; real prop. 41127. ; chari-
ties 177. St. Mary-Recf. (Pet.) val. 3977., patr. Hon.
P. P. Bouverie and Sir H. Sawyer. B. Lodge,
1 m. S. gaT" B.-POGGS par. (34) Bampton hund.
W. Oxford. 5 m. W. of Bampton-71. Acres 360 ;
pop. 151 ; poor r. 1457. (Witney U.) ; real prop.
14807. St. Peter JZecf.(Oxon.) val. 2807 , patr. Rev.
W. Holmes. Rev. J. Goodenough, has the manor.
B. Hall, Sir W. C. H. Burnaby, Bt. ^" B.-SuL-
NEY, or UPPER B., par. (71) S. Bingham wap.
S. Notts. 9 m. ENE. of Loughboro -100. Acres
1600 ; pop. 371 + 3, stocking makers ; poor r. 1157.
(Loughb. U.) ; real prop. 29457. ; charities 107.
Living, a Rect. ( Yk.) val. 3887., patr. Sir J. Rad-
cliffe, Bt. B. House, Duke of Buccleugh, has
two supposed cartoons of Raphael and some Van-
dykes, ga?" B., WEST, hmlt. (71) Doveridge
par. S W. Derby. 8 m. NW. of Burton-on-Trent
-125. Pop. 59.

P. K. BROUGHTON, WEST, orB.-iN-FuRNF.ss,
chplry. ( ) Kirkby Ireleth par. N. Lancash.
23 m. NW. of Lancaster, 281 from London, on R.
Duddon. Acres 7040, with slate, iron, and cop-
per ; pop. 1250, hoop benders and miners ; houses



284



BRO



BRO



252, with 2 chapels and small gram, school (67.) ;
poor r. 3341. on 4629/. (UlverstoneU.) ; real prop.
6431/. ; charities 15Z. St. M. Magdalen Cur.
(Ches.) val. 108/., pair. J. D. Sawrey, Esq. of B.
Tower, which has a good prospect. Mht. D. Frid.
Fairs, 27 Apr. 1st Frid. Oct. cattle and hiring ;
1 Aug. cattle.

Broughtons (43) 2 m. NNE. of Newenham, W.
Gloucest.

P. BROCGHTY-FERRY q.s. par. in Monifieth par.
S. Forfar. 4 m. E. of Dundee-45, on Frith of Tay,
a watering-place, and station on Arbroath rail with
a floating bridge to Ferry port, some remains of a
castle (Brough, or Burgh, Tay) taken by the Eng-
lish after the battle of Finkey. Pop. (1837) 1998.
Living (Presb. Dundee) vaL 140Z., patr. Commu-
nicants. Claypott's castle, which belonged to
Claverhouse, is near.

Brovonacas of the Romans, is KIRKJBY THORPE,
Westmrld. on Watling St.

BROW, or BROWHOUSES, vil. 6 m. W. of Annan,
8. Dumfries, on Solway Frith. ^ Brow, 2 m.
WN W. of Berwick, E. Berwick.

Brow Head (152) between Mizenhead and
Crookhaven, W. Cork, has a signal tower upon it.

Brown Bank, so called from the dark brown
sand upon it, is in the North Sea, half way be-
tween the coasts of Norfolk and Holland, near
the Swarte, or Black, bank. ^T B. Glee Hill
(61) 8m. SW. of Bridgnorth, S. Salop, 1805ft.
nigh, is flat- topped, with 'jewstone' or basalt
over-lying many thin basin-shaped strata of coal,
iron, limestone, and clay. <gP B. EDGE (90)

5 m. NW. of Ormskirk-219, SW. Lancashire.
^P B.-EDGE viL (72) Norton-on-the-Moors
par. N. Stafford. Living, a Cur. (Lich.) vaL
100;., patr. Bishop. ^~ B. GiUy Hill (30)

6 m. NW. of Liskeard, E. Cornwall. ^ B.
Hill ( ) 6 m. SE. of Ravenglass, S. Cumbrld.
^ B. HILL hmlt ( ) Batley tnshp. W. R.
York. 6 m. NW. of Wakefield-182. ^ B.-
Lloyd-Green (54) Beausall hmlt. S. Warwick.
3 m. NE. of Stratford-on-Avon-96. ^ B.
MOUNTAIN ext. par. ( ) Kells bar. Kilkenny,
united to Tullyhought. gSP B. Park (9) near
Newtown Barry, NW. Wexford. g B. Rigg ( )
8m. S. of Whitby, N. R. York. gg= B. Willey
(30) 4 m. SE. of Camelford, E. Cornwall, a granite
peak and sea-mark 1368 ft. high, near Rough
and other tors, commands a view of the English
and Bristol channels, and is the source of most of
the streams in this part.

Browneshill (7) near Carlow, NE. Carlow, R. C.
Browne, Esq.

BROWNFIELD q. s. par. in West par. Glasgow
city. Pop. 2525. Living (Presb. Glasg.) val. /.,
patr. Trustees.

Brownhatt (104) 2 m. E. of Balintra, 5. Donegal,
Rev. E. M. Hamilton, near B. Lough, has a fine
series of caves and a fall in it, called The Pullins,
with the Crochmacraoshleen a granite rock
which Fin ma Coul shot from his knuckle when
at Barnesmore 10 m. off.

Brownher ( ) 5m. ESE. of Kirkby- Stephen,
E. Westmrld.

BrownhUl, 10 m. NXW. of Dumfries, W. Dum-
fries. $& BrownhUl (49) Shelburne bar. SW.
Wexford, 214 ft. high.

Browns (26) 5 m. W. of Torrington, N W. Devon.

Brown's Bay (41) N. end of Island Magee,
E. Antrim, has a logan stone on the shore.

Brown's Farm (8J 2 m. S. of Farnham, S W.
Surrey. ^T B. Hill House (34) near Stroud, Mid.
Gloucest. E. P. Carruthers, Esq. $S B. Lodge
(8) near Reigate, SE. Surrey, W. S. Robinson,
Esq.



Brownsbarn (32) near Innistioge, Mid. Kilkeny.
R. S. Guiness, Esq.

BROWNSEA isld. (16) Studland par. SE. Dorset.
1 m. S. of Poole-106, in the harbour, belongs to
the Sturts. Acres about 300 : pop. 70. B. Castle,
Sir C. Chad, Bt.

Brownsford (33) Ida bar. W. Kilkeny. near the
ruins of B. Castle.

Brownshall, 10 m. NW. of Kelso, W. Berwick.

BROWNSHALL, or BROWNSELL-LANE, hmlt.
(18) Bishop's Caundle par. N. Dorset. 5 m. SE.
of Sherborne, an ancient place which gives name
to the hund. below.

BROWNSHALL HUNDRED (18) Sturminster Di-
vision, N. Dorset, contains the pars, of Bp.'s
Caundle, Stourton, Stalbridge, and Stock-Gay-
land ; acres 9080, pop. 2336, houses 463.

BROWNSHILL GREEN (53) 2 m. NW. of Co-
ventry-91, N. Warwick.

BROWNSIDE chplry. (81)^"^. Derby, is joined
to Chinley.

Brownslade (38) near Castlemartin, S. Pembrk.
J. Mirehouse, Esq.

BBOWNSMILLS vil. ( ) Kinsale bar. S. Cork,
near Kinsale.

BROWNSOVER chplry. (53) Clifton par. E. War-
wick. 1 m. N. of Rugby-83, near R. Avon, Oxford
canal, N.West. rail., and Watling St. Acres 1130 ;
pop. 90 ; poor r. 53/. (Rugby U.) ; real prop. 1863/.
St. Michael Cur. with Clifton-on-Dunsmore. B.
House, 3. W. B. Leigh, Esq.

BROWXSTONE vil. (24) near Modbury, SW.
Devon, is a Cur. with Modbury.

BROWNSTOWN par. (26, 32) Skreen bar. Mid.
Meath, o m. S. of Slane-28. Acres 1199, good,
with limestone, potter's clay, and strong traces of
copper ; pop. 421. Living, a Rect. (Meath), im-
propriate in Sir W. Somerville, Bt. of B. House,
who owns the par.

Brownstown Head (26) E. side of Tramore bav,
SE. Waterfd. 102 ft. high.

BROWNSTREET (20) 4 m. W. of Porlock, W.
Somerset, overlooking the bay.

Browsholme Hall ( ) 4 m. NNW. of Clitheroe,
W. R. York. F. G. Parker, Esq. bow-bearer of
Bowland forest, on the Lane, border, is in the
elizabethan style, and has the original seal of the
Commonwealth, a fine head by Velasquez, and
many family portraits, coins, MSS., etc.

BROWSTON hmlt. (67) Belton par. NE. Suffolk,
4 m. SSW. of Yannouth-124. Pop. 64.

BROXA tnshp. ( ) Hackness par. N. R. York.
4 m. NW. of Scarboro'-187. Acres 450 ; pop. 65 ;
poor r. 117. (Scarboro' U.) ; real prop. /.

BROXASH HUNDRED (55) NE. Hereford, con-
tains the pars, of Avenbury vie., Bodenham,
Bredenbury rect., Bromyard v., Collington r.,
Little Cowarne cur. (with Ullingswick), Much
Cowarne v., Felton v., Bishop's Grendon c., Gren-
don-Warren, Marden, Ocle-Pitchard v., Pencombe
r., Saltmarsh, Upper Sapey r., Stanford-Bishop v.,
Stoke-Lacey r., St. Michael and St. Nicholas Sut-
ton, Tedstone-Delamere r., Tedstone- Wafer r.,
Thornbury r., Ullingswick r., Wacton c., Whit-
bourne r., Withington, Wolferlow v., and parts of
Bockleton and Stoke Bliss r. ; acres 60,300, pop.
11,598, houses 2428. See FROME DEANERY.

P. BROXBOURNE par. (1) Hertford hund. SE.
Herts, containing Hoddesdon-17, a station on E.
Count, rail. 19 m. from London, belonged to the
Knights of St. John. Acres 4580 ; pop. 2386 + 24;
poor r. 251Z. (Ware U.) ; real prop. 4433J. ; cha-
rities 257/., of which Monson's almsh. 165/., Lucy's
school 20/. St Austin Vic. (Roch.) val. 361/.,
patr. Bishop of London; church, partly flint and
later eng., with two adjoining chapels, an old pil-



BRO

lared font, and brasses (of a priest, of the Says
1473 who built it, and a Borrell), and mons. of
the Cocks, Monsons, and others who had the
manor. B. Bury, seat of J. Bosanquet, Esq., where
Jas. I. was entertained by Sir H. Cock.

P. BROXBURN vil. Uphall par. E. Linlithgmv.
1J m. E. of Uphall-13, near Union canal, on B.
Burn, which runs to the Almond Water. Pop. 725.
Fair for cattle Frid. after Falkirk Sept. tryst.
gap" Broxburn, 1 m. SE. of Dunbar, E. Hadding-
ton. on B. Burn, which runs to the North Sea at
Broxmouth, seat of Duke of Buccleugh, to whom
it gives title of visct., and near the spot where
Cromwell defeated Leslie.

BROXFIELD tnshp. (109) Embleton par. NE.
Northmbrld. 2m. NNE. of Alnwick-308 ; pop. 24.

BROXHILL (46) 3 m. NE. of St. Alban's-20,
Mid. Herts.

BROXHOLME par. (83) Lawress wap. W. Lin-
coln. 5 m. NW. of Lincoln-132. Acres 1230;
pop. 145 + I ; poor r. 787. (Line. U.) ; real prop.
19827. All Saints Rect. (Line.) vaL 2737., patr.
F. Robinson, Esq.

Broxmore (15) near Romsey, W. Hants. R.
Bristow, Esq., commands fine prospects.

P. BROXTED par. ( ) Dunmovftiund.NW.Essx.
4 m. NNW. of Dunmow-38. Acres 3110 ; pop.
737 + 4; poor r. 828/. (Dunm. U.); real prop.
40937. St. Mary Vic. (Roch.) val. 1507., patr.
R. B. de Beauvoir.

BROXTON (HIGHER) HuNDRED(73, 79, 80)S W.
Cheshire, called Dudestan bund, in ' Domesdy.',
contains the pars, of Coddington r., Farndon c.,
Harthill c., Shocklack c., Tilston r., and parts of
Aldford r., Bunbury, Handley r., Malpas r., and
Threapwood; acres 43,310, pop. 9932, houses
1925. B. (LOWER) HUNDRED, W. Cheshire,
contains the pars, of Christleton r., Eccleston
r., Guilden-Sutton c., Palford r., Tattenhall r.,
Waverton c., and parts of Aldford, Backford,
Doddleston r., Handley, St. Mary-on-the-Hill r.,
St. Oswald v., Plemonstall c., and Tarvin v. ;
acres 34,160, pop. 7551, houses 1395. See CHES-
TER, BANGOR, MALPAS, DEANERIES.

BROXTON tnshp. (73) par. of Malpas-168, as
above, 4 m. N. of it. Acres 2270 ; pop. 464 ; poor
r. 1147. (Gt. Boughton U.) ; real prop. 30097.;
charities 157. B. Hall, 1 m. SW. an ancient seat
commanding fine prospects.

BROXTOW (NORTH) WAPENTAKE ( ) W.Notts.
contains the pars, of Annesley cur., Arnold vie.
Basford v., Bulweli red., Felley Fulwood, Hunk-
nall-Torkard c., Kirkby r., Linbyr., Mansfield v.,
Mansfield-Woodhouse c., Papplewick c., Selsdon
v., Skegsby c., Sutton c., and Teversall r. ; acres
51,950, pop. 43,677, houses 8660. B. (SOUTH) WA-
PENTAKE, the pars, of Attenborough v., Beeston .,
Bilborough r., Bramcote c. (with Attenboro'),
Cossall c. (with Wollaton), Eastwood r., Greas-
ley v., Lenton v., Nuthall r., Radford v., Staple-
ford c., Strelley r., Trowell r., and Wollaton r. ;
acres 29,520, pop.31,119, houses 6233. See NOT-
TINGHAM DEANERY.

BROXTOW hmlt. (71) Bilborough par. as above,
3 m. N W. of Nottingham-124, was a separate par.
and gave name to the hund.

BROXWOOD, UPPER and LOWER (56) 3 m.
NW. of Weobiey-146", W. Hereford.

Bruar Water rises in the Grampians, N. Perth.
and runs through Glen Bruar to R. Garry, near
Blair Atholl, over several falls (one 200 ft.down),
now well wooded agreeably to Burns's poetical
petition.

Bruce Castle (1) near Tottenham, E. Middlesx.
now a school, on the site of a castle in which
Robert Bruce, father of 'The Bruce' died 1303,



BRU



285



was rebuilt by Sir W. Compton who here enter-
tained Hen.VIII. ; was also visited by Q. Eliza-
beth 1578, and afterwards restored by the Hares.
IgT Bruce Castle, 5 m. N. of Falkirk, E. Stirling.

Bruce Hall (30) near Arvagh, W. Cavan. '

BRUCEHAVEN vil. Dunfermline par. 5 W. Fife.
3 m. S. of Dunfennline-16, a sub-port to Boness,
on Frith of Forth.

BRUCKEN HILL hmlt. (82) Ecclesfield tnshp.
W. R. York. 4 m. N. of Sheffield-162.

Bruckless, or Bruchlas, Bay (98) Bannagh bar.
/S W. Donegal, a continuation of M'Swyne's bay.
B. House, R. W. Nesbitt, Esq.

Brue River (18-9, 20) rises above S. Brewham,
E.Somerset, and runs 30 m. W. past Bruton, Glas-
tonbury to Bridgwater bay at Hunt's Mill.

BRUEN-STAPLEFORD tnshp. (80) Tarvin par.
W. Cheshire, 5 m. E. of Chester-183. Acres 980 ;
pop. 165 + 1 ; poor r. 697. (Gt. Boughton U.) ;
real prop. 17047. Pasfield, a pious servant of the
Bruens here, in the 16th century, in order to
re-member the. sermon he heard, divided his
leather girdle into books and chapters which
was preserved by his master as a "girdle of
verity."

BRUERA, or CHURTON HEATH. See BUERTON,
Cheshire.

BRUERN VILLE, ext. par. (44) Chadlington
hund. W. Oxford. 5 m. N. of Burford-73, a meet
for the Heythrop hounds, now belonging to the
Sackvilles, had a seat (which was burnt down)
of the Copes, on the site of an abbey founded by
the Bassets 1147. Acres 3510; pop. 46; poor r.
867. (Chipping Norton U.) ; real prop. 14227.

P. M. BRUFF par. (31-2) Coshma bar. Mid.
Limerick, 5 m. N. of Kilmalock, 134 m. from
Dublin, a police station and sessions town, on R.
Morning Star, belonged to the De Courcys who
had a castle here, then to the Desmonds, now to
the Earl of Limerick. Acres 1331, very good, with
limestone ; pop. 2900, of town 1398, decreasing ;
houses 228, with court-house, bridewell, dispen-
sary. Living, a Vic. (Lk. A. A.) val. 697., patr.
Bishop ; church, with an old mon. of the Hart-
stonges. Rockbarton,Visct. Guillamore ; Kilbally-
owen, The O'Grady ; Milltown, G. Gubbins, Esq.
Mkt. D. Frid. Fairs 24 May, 23 July, 18 Oct.
28 Nov.

Brugham, or Burgham, River, (60) falls into R.
Severn, near Llanidloes, S. Montgomery.

Bruiach, 7 m. SW. of Beauley, 2V. Inverness.
seat of the Frazers, near B. Loch, 2 m. long, with
trout and char in it.

BRUIS par. (66, 73) Clanwilliam bar. SW. Tip-
perary, 4 m. SW. of Tipperary-112. Acres 3699,
good land (rising at Slievenamack 1215 ft.) ;
pop. 1415 + 6. Living, a Rect. with Lattin. B.
Mount, Mrs. Doherty.

BRUISYARD par. (50) Plomesgate hund. E.
Suffolk, 3 m. NE. of Framlingham-87, on R. Aide,
had a chantry translated from Campsey 1354, by
Maud de Lancester the founder, but afterwards
turned into a nunnery, and at the dissolution
given to the Hares. Acres 1330 ; pop. 296 ; poor
r. 1467. (Plomesg. U.) ; real prop. 17397. St. Peter
Cur. (Norw.) val. C07., patr. Earl of Stradbroke,
who holds the manor; church, has 2 brasses.
B. Hall, J m. SE.

BRUMHILL. See BROMHILL, Norfolk.

BRUMSTEAD par. (68) Happing hund. E. Nor-
folk, 5 m. SE. of N. Walsham-125. Acres 930 ;
pop. 116 + 1 ; poor r. 517. (Tanstead Incorp.) ; real
prop. 13827. St. Peter Rect. (Norw.) val. 1707.,
patr. Earl of Abergavenny.

Brumston (14) 4m. N. by W. of Ludgershall,
E. Wilts.



286



BRU



BRY



UJMBUOtl. occ jjjunounif .LTV**O

JNSLOW tnshp. (60) Edgton par. S FF". Salop,
E. of Bishop's Castle-159, near Bury Ditches



Brunanburch of the Saxons, is BROOMRIDGE,
Northmbrld.

Brunant (66) 7 m. NW. of Llandovery, NE.
Carmarthen. G. Lloyd, Esq.

BRUNDALL par. (66) Blofield hand. E.Norfolk,
4 m. E. of Norwich-108, on E. Union rail. Acres
490 ; pop. 52 ; poor r. 317. (Blof. U.) ; real prop.
8577. St. Lawrence Rect. with Plumstead. B.
House, Rev. L. B. Foster.

BRUNDISH par. (50) Hoxne hund. NE. Suffolk,
3 m. N. of Framlinghara-87. Acres 1380 ; pop.
525 + 5; poor r. 1797, (Hoxne IL); real prop.
33957. ; charities 6/. St. Andrew Cur. with Taii-
nington ; church, has 4 brasses (Sir E. de B., a
priest 1360, two Colbys, etc.).

BRUNDON. See BALLINGDON, Essex.

Brunsitt Castle (43) 2 m. E. of Ledbury, E.
Hereford.

BRUXSLEY. See BRINSLEY, Notts.

BRU:
3 m. SE.
camp, on Tongley hill, is joined to EDGTON.

BRUXSTANE vil. Pennycuick par. Mid. Edinbro\

2 m. SW. of Pennycuick-10, on B. Burn. Pop.
coal miners.

BRUNSTOCK tnshp. ( ) Crosby par. N. Cum-
berld. 3 m. NNE. of Carlisle-301. Pop. 75 + 1.

Brunston Castle, 4 m. E. of Edinbro', N. Edinb.
belonged to the Crichtons (who sheltered Knox
here in Mary's time) and the Duke of Lauder-
dale.

Brunswark Hill. See Burnswark, Dumfries.

BRUXTCLJFFE THORNE hmlt. (88) Morley
tnshp. W. R. York. 6 m. W. of Wakefield-182.

BRUNTHWAITE hmlt. (6) Silsden chplry. W. R.
York. 3 m. N. of Keighley-206. Pop. 294.

Bruntiburn, 8 m. NW. of Greenlaw, W. Berwick.

P. BRUNTINGTHORPE par. (63) Guthlaxton
hund. S. Leicester. 5 m. NE. of Luttenvorth-89.
Acres 1320 ; pop. 423 + 4, employed on 70 hosiery
frames ; poor r. 2227. (Lutterw. U.) ; real prop.
25127. St. Mary Rect. (Pet.) val. 380/., patr.
Rev. T. Freeman.

BRUNTOX vil. Creich par. N. Fife. 4 m. NW.
of Cupar-32. Pop. 90. Brunton, 3 m. NNW. of
Bathgate, W. Linlithgow. ^ BRCXTOX ( )

3 m. N. of Hexham-279, S. Northmbrld. Mrs.
Tulip, (gif BRUXTOX tythg. (14) Collingbourn
Kingston par. E. Wilts. 4 m. NNW. of Ludgers-
hall-71. (gp B., EAST and WEST, tnshps. ( )
Gosforth par. SE. Northmbrld. 4 m. N. of New-
castle-275. Pop. 268 and 109, in the Wall's End
collieries. [JaP B., HIGH and Low, tnshps. ( )
Embleton par. NE. Northmbrld. 7 m. NNE. of
Alnwick-308. Pop. 59.

P. BRUREE par. (38-9, 46-7) Upper Connello and
Coshma bars. S. Limerick, 7 m. SE. of Ballingarry
-141, contains Rockhill, on R. Maigue, and was,
up to 1746, the place of meeting of the Irish bards.
Acres 9995, good, with limestone ; pop. 3804,
of vil. 703 + 25. Living, a Vic. (Lk. A. A.) val.
226/1, patr. Dean of Limerick. 3. Lodge, J.
Langton, Esq. ; Rockhill, J. Cushin, Esq. Fairs,
9 May, 25 June, 14 Sept. 25 Nov.

Brush House (82) near Sheffield, W. R. York.

BRUSHFTELD tnshp. (81) Bakewell par. N.
Derby. 4 m. NW. of Bakewell-153. Pop. 53 + 1.

BRUSHFORD par. (26) N. Tawton hund. N.
Devon. 4 m. S. of Chumleigh-184. Acres 1220 ;
pop. 144 ; poor r. 737. (Crediton U.) ; real prop.
6487. Living, a Cur. (Exet.) val. 517., patr. G.
Luxton, Esq. ; church, has a portrait of Q. Anne.

BRUSHFORD par. (20) Williton huud. W. So-
merset. 1 m. S. of Dulverton-165. Acres 4030 ;
pop. 340 ; poor r. 159/. (Dulvert. U.) ; real prop.
25337. St. Michael Rect. (Ba. and W.) val.



1 8437., patr. Earl of Carnarvon and J. Sydenham.
Esq.

Bruskett River, runs into R. Eden, near Car-
lisle, .ZV. Cumbrld.

Brusselstoum Mountn. (27) 4 m NE. by E. of
Baltinglass, W. Wicklow, 1305 ft. high, with an
old fort at top.

Brusselton Folly ( ) 3 m. S. of Bishop's Auck-
: land, <S. Durham.

BRUTON HUNDRED (19) E. Somerset, contains

the pars, of North and South Brewham curs.,

Bruton c., Eastrip, Milton-Clevedon red., Pit-

\ combe c., Upton Noble c., and Yarlington r. ; acres

: 14,250, pop. 4137, houses 884. See CAREY

DEANERY.

P. M. BRUTON par. as above, 24 m. E. of
Bridgwater, 109 from London, a sessions town
on R. Brue, containing Discove, and Redlynch
and Wyke-Champflower curs., and the site
of a benedictine abbey found. 1005, by Earl Algar,
afterwards, 1142, turned into a black priory by
Will, de Mohun, of which the parsonage is a
fragment. Acres 3520, well cultivated ; pop. 2074,
of town 1885, some in the silk, hosiery, and
woollen trade; houses 406, with chapel, townhall,
andmkt. house, bank, Bp. Fitzjames'sgram. school
(3501.) with 4 exhibitions at the universities,
Saxey's hosp. in the elizabethan style (13137.),
and a 6-sided mkt. cross ; poor r. 134"37. on 81267.
(Wincanton U.) ; real prop. 7182Z. ; charities, as
above. St. Mary Cur. (Ba. and W.) val. 168/.,
patr. Sir H. R. Hoare, Bt. of Stourhead, who holds
the manor, formerly belonging to the Berkelevs,
of Stratton; church, large and later eng., has
two towers, one ancient and the other finely de-
corated, and the arms of Prior Gilbert, who
reb. the priory (and to whom there is a mon.),
and of P. Sheares (a ' P. between a pair of shears ')
another prior. At Dishove a roman pavement
was found 1711. Redlynch Pk., seat of Earl of
Ilchester. Mkt. D. Sat. Fairs, 23 Apr. 17 Sept.

Brux House, 18 m. W. of Inverury, W. Aber-
deen.

Bruxie, 1 m. NW. of Deer, NE. Aberdeen. &$*B.
Hill, 5 m. N. of Bervie, E. Kincardine.

Brwydd Arthur. See Arthur's Round Table,
Angles, and Denbigh.

Bry River. See Brue River, Somerset.



Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 80 of 293)