stall (which was frequently taken by both parties
in the civil war), Cheyneys (burial place of the
Russells), Fulbrook, Greenland, Gayhurst (where
Sir K. Digby was born), and Widmer. Aston
Sandford was the rectory of Scott the commenta-
tor ; Butler's Court, or Gregories, was Burke's
seat ; at Chalfont St.Giles, Milton finished his ' Pa-
radise Lost,' during the plague (1665), having pre-
viously written his ' Comus,' ' L' Allegro,' etc., at
Horton, where he lived with his father ; a spot at
Hampden was that on which the 20s. ship-money
was levied, which the great patriot tried in court ;
Monks' Risboro' has a large cross cut on the hills ;
at Olney Cowper lived till he moved to Weston
Underwood ; HerschelPs large telescope is still at
Slough ; Stoke Pogis chnrchyd. is the scene of
Gray's ' Elegy ' ; Atterbury was born at Milton
Keynes, and Bp. Jno. King, whom Jas. I. called
his ' king of preachers,' and Bp. Hen. King, his
son, at Wormenhall. Principal seats and families
are : Duke of Buckingham Stowe, D. of Portland
Bulstrode, Marq. of Chandos Wotton House, Earl
of Buckinghamshire Hampden Ho., E. Howe Penn
Ho., E. Chesterfield Eythorp, E. Ellesmere Ash-
ridge, Lady Grenville Dropmore, Lord Lake Aston
Clinton, Ld. Godolphin Morton Ho., Ld. Montague
Ditton Pk., Ld. Nugent Lillies; Aubrey, Bt. Dor-
ton, King, Bt. Halton Ho., Russell, Bt. Chequers,
Clayton, Bt. Harleyford, Sheppard, Bt. Thornton,
Nugent, Bt. Westhorpe Ho., Morland Bt. Winchen-
don (where the famous Duke of Wharton lived),
Wilson, Bt. Wooburn, Sir H. Yerney Claydon;
Clowes of Iver, Duncombe of Gt. Brickhill, Pigot
of Lit. Marloic, Arnold of Lit. Missenden, Allen
of Newlands, Dayrell of Padbury, Sullivan of
Ritchings, Drake of Shardeloes, Penn of Stoke Pk.,
Throckmorton of Weston Underwood, Dupre of
Wilton, Smith of Gayhurst, Harvey of Langley,
D'Israeli, M. P. of Bradenham, Watts of Hanslope,
Praed of Tyringham. The Whaddon chase hounds
hunt about Winslow, the Rothschild, in vale of
Aylesbury. About 24J m. of the N. West. rail,
between Pitston and Ashton, crosses on the NE.
side, with a branch of 7J m. to Aylesbury ; and
9 m. of the Gt. West, between W. Drayton and
Maidenhead, crosses the S. corner ; the Bucks, rail,
of 32 m. is to go from Aylesbury by Claydon (near
Winslow) and Brackley, to Banbury on the Oxford
and Rugby line, besides a cross rail, of 29i m.
from Bletchley, by Claydon, Bicester, and Islip,
to Oxford. About 24 m. of the Gd. Junct. canal
crosses nearly in the direction of N. West. rail,
leaving at S. Stratford, where there is a branch
to Buckingham, and at Marsworth branches to
Aylesbury and Wendover. Gives title of earl to
fam. of Hobart - Hampden, as above. Roads
from Aylesbury : 1. To Wendover 4 m. (Princes
Risboro' 9), Amersham 12 (or to Chesham 11),
Uxbridge 22 (Colnbrook 26), thence to London
37 ; or to Beaconsfield 16 (Windsor 24), Maiden-
head 22 ; or to Wycombe 18, Marlow 22, Hen-
ley 29, thence to Reading 36. 2. To Tring 8
(Ivinghoe 12, Dunstabie 18), Berkhampstead 13,
Watford 24; or to Hemel Hempstead 18, St. Al-
ban's 24. 3. To Leighton Buzzard 8 (Woburn
17, Bedford 32), Fenny Stratford 14 (Stony Strat-
ford 21), Newport Pagnell 20, Olney 25. 4. To
Winslow 9, Buckingham 15, Brackley 22, or to
Towcester 25. 5. To Thame 10, Oxford 24; or
to Bicester along Akeman St. 16 m.
BUCKINGHAM HUNDRED (45-6) contains the
pars, (and benefices) of Addington reel., Adstockr.,
Akeley r., Barton Harsthorn cur., Beachampton r.,
*Biddlcston c., Buckingham r., *Caversfor<l r.,
Chetwode c. (with Barton), Edgecott r., Fox-
cottr., Hillesdenc., Leckhampstead r., Lilling-
stone-Dayrell r., *Luffield Abbey (ext. par.),
Maids Moreton r., Marsh Gibbon r., Padbury vie.,
Preston Bisset r., Radcliffe r., Shalstone r., Steeple
Claydonu., Stowe t>., *Stratton Audley, Thonboro'
., Thornton r., Tingewickr., *Turwestonr., Troy-
ford ., Water Stratford r., Westbury v. ; acres
50,960, pop. 11,062, houses 2292. * B. ARCH-
DEANERY, diocese of Oxford, extends over the
county, and comprises the deaneries of Bucks,
Burnham, Muresley, Newport, Waddesden, Wen-
dover and Wycombe, or about 178 benefices. The
DEANERY includes the pars, in the hund as above,
with Middle Claydon v., *Horley with Hornton v.
# * P. M. BUCKINGHAM par. (45) in the
above hund. N. Sucks, on R. Ouse, o m. NW. by
N. of Aylesbury, 55 from London, or 62J by N.
West. rail, through Wolverton, the county town,
a sess. and a polling place, was fortified by Edw.
the Elder 918, taken by the Danes 1010,* had a
castle built by its earls soon after the Con-
quest, and in Edw. III.'s time was a staple for
wool, from which time it declined ; has returned
two members from 36th of Hen. VIII. the limits
under the Reform act, including the old par. and
boro' (which contains Bourton, Bourtenhold,Gaw-
cott cur., Lenboro', Prebend-End), and the pars,
of Hillesden, Maids Moreton, Padbury, Preston-
Bissett, Radclive-cun-Chalkmore, Thornboro' and
Tingewick, no. of elect, being 393, (of 107. houses
1486) ; and by the municipal act is governed by
a bailiff or mayor, 4 aldermen, 12 councillors,
with a revenue of 8257. Acres of boro' 18,590,
with limestone, of old boro' and par. 5330, of
town 1260 ; pop. of boro' 7978, of par. 4054 + 43,
of town 3285, chiefly agricultural, with some
tanners and bone-lace makers ; houses 634, in a
bend of the river which is crossed by 3 bridges,
two of which are ancient, with 4 chapels, townhall
1685, gaol b. by Ld. Cobham, 2 banks, savings
bk. (46,927/. from 1473 depositors), gasworks,
cornmills, Edw. VI.'s gram, school (107.), in the
chantry chapel found. 1268 by Archd. Stratton, and
having a norman door, and fine carved seats,
Newton's green coat school (347.), Barton's (57.)
and Christ's (227.) hospitals, and Union p. house ;
assd. taxes 8427. ; poor r. 15617. on 15,4507. ; real
prop. 70297. ; charities 2647., of which Higgins's,
now 107., will in 1854 be 1307. St. Peter and
Paul Vic. (Oxon.) val. 2307., patr. Duke of Buck-
ingham of Stowe ; church, with a spire of 150 ft.
large and handsome, b. 1781 on the site of the
castle, and near the site of the old church which
stood over the grave of the legendary St. Rum-
bald, and fell 1779. Bp. John of B., Cosin the
martyr, Goode a translator of the Psalms, and W.
M. Smith a loyalist soldier, were natives. Cathe-
rine of Arragon was staying here 1514, when
she received news of the battle of Flodden ; in
1724 a fire destroyed property to the amount of
40,0007., and it gives the title of duke to the
(Ircnvilles of Stowe. A branch canal 10 m. long
begins at the town and runs near R. Ouse to the
Gd. Junct., close to Stony Stratford. Buck. P. L.
f'nion, contains the pars. etc. in the Hund. and
Deanery above (except those marked *), with
Chairuibn and Pounden, and Lillingstone-Lovell
in Oxfd. ; acres 44,770, pop. 14,239, cases relieved
(yr. 1846-7) 2368 (out-door 2091), expend. 78957.,
prop, rated 77,2761. Sup. Registry comprises the
same except Charndon and Pounden, with Gaw-
cott ; pop. 14,239 + 90. The New County Court
district includes the Registry with that of Wins-
low. Mht. D. Sat. Mon. calves. Fairs, Old
New Year's day, last Th. Jan. 7 Mar. 2nd Mon
Apr. 6 May, Whit Th. 10 July, 4 Sept. 2 Oct.
Sat. after Old Mich, day, hiring ; 8 Nov. 13 Dec.
cattle, horses, etc.
Buckingham Cottage (10) near Ryde, I. of Wight,
S. Hants. Duke of Buckingham. g3" B. House
(9) near Shoreham, S. Sussex. H. Bridger, Esq.
BUCKISH MILLS limit. (26) Parkham andWool-
fardisworthy pars. NW. Devon. 6 m. SW. of Bide-
ford-201, on the bay, has a ledge of rocks off it.
P. BUCKLAND par. (13) Ganfield hund. N.Berks.
4 m. NE. of Farringdon-68, contains Carswell.
Acres 4420 ; pop. 946 ; poor r. 6097. (Farringd.
U.) ; real prop. 6007/. ; charities 637. of which
Southby's school 427. St. Mary Vic. (Oxon.) val.
3107., patr. Bp. of Glouc. and Br. B. House, Sir
R. G. Throckmorton, Bt. |J3T BUCKLAND par.
("46) Aylesbury hund. Mid. Bucks. 5 m. ESE. of
Aylesbury-40. Acres 1290; pop. 537 + 2; poor
r. 277/. (Aylesb. U.) ; real prop. 1617/. ; charities
21 St. Andrew Cur. with Bierton. fg*= BUCK-
LAND hmlt. (24) Thurleston par. S. Devon. 3 m.
W. of Knightsbridge-208, seat of W. L. Clarke,
Esq. (iT BUCKLAND par. (44) Lower Kifts-
gate hund. NE. Gloucester. 6 m. NE. of Winch-
comb- 95, containing Laverton, belonged to Glo'ster
abbey. Acres 2270; pop. 377; poor r. 1957.
( Winch. U.); real prop. 35077. ; charities Thynne's
school. Living a Rect. (Gl. and B.) val. 2227.,
patr. Sir T. Phillips, Bt. who has the manor by
purchase through the Greshams; church, later
eng. with a beautiful painted window of the time
of Edw. IV. ; at the rectory is the punning device
of its builder Grafton a graft of a tree growing
from a tun. fg BUCKLAND (11) 1 m. N. of Ly-
mington-93, -S W. Hants, near the B. Rings, an
oblong camp with double and treble ditches, sup-
posed to be Vespasian's, about 200 yds. by 130,
lying close to Lymington Water, which was com-
manded by a speculum or look out. $3" BUCK-
LAND (55) 5 m. ESE. of Leominster-137, NE.
Hereford. Capt. Cherry. ^ BUCKLAND par.
(47) Edwinstree hund. NE. Herts. 2 m. N. of
Buntingford-31, contains Chipping. Acres 1590 ;
pop. 435 + 6 ; poor r. 3067. (Buntingfd. U.) ; real
prop. 19157.; charities 37. St. Andrew Rect.
(Roch.) val. 3007., patr. King's Coll. Camb.
gg BUCKLAND vil. (47) Therfield par. near the
P. BUCKLAND par. (3) Faversham hund. Scray
lathe, N. Kent, 3 m. NW. of Faversham-47.
Acres 1340; pop. 19; poor r. 317. (Faversh. U.);
real prop. 7397. St. Nicholas sinecure Rect. val.
1677., patr. Sir J. T. Tyrell, Bt. ; church, in ruins.
^jp BUCKLAND par. (8) first Reigate hund. Mid.
Surrey, 2 m. W. of Reigate-24. Acres 2040 ; pop.
364 + 2 ; poor r. 3317. (Reig. U.) ; real prop. 26247. ;
charities 297. St. Peter Rect. (Wine.) val. 3377.,
patr. All Souls Coll. Oxon. sometime held by
Spencer, who wrote Abp. Chicheley's Life. a.
House, Beaumont, Esq.
BUCKLAND-BREWER par. (26) Shebbear hund.
NW. Devon. 4 m. SSW. of Bideford-201, contain-
ing Tythacott, Bilsford, and Galsworthy, was a
mkt. town belonging to the Brewers. Acres
3970; pop. 1103+1; poor r. 5117. (Bidef. U.);
real prop. 41687. ; charities 47. St. Mary and
Benedict Vic. (Exet ) val. with E. Putford and
Bulkworthy 2447., patr. Ld. Chancellor ; church,
with a rich norman door. Fairs, Whit Mon. 2
Nov. giT B. Common (7) 4 m. E. of Wendover,
E. Bucks, ^f B.-DENHAM par. (19) Kilmers-
don hund. NE. Somerset. 2 m. NNW. of Frome
-103, was a mkt. and assize and good clothing
town. Acres 1400; pop. 516, growers of teasel
for the clothiers; poor r. 1967. (Krome U.); real
prop. 23677.; charities III. St. Mary Vic. (Ba.
and W.) val. 1637., patr. Bishop. ^ B., EAST,
par. (26) Braunton hand. N. Devon. 4 m. NNW.
of S. Molton-178. Acres 2340 ; pop. 167 ; poor r.
997. (S. Molton U.) ; real prop. 13727. ; charities,
parish lands 227. St. Michael Sect. (Exet.)
vaL with FiUeigh 2867., patr. Earl Fortescue.
^ B. EGG. See EGG, BUCKLAND, Devon.
^T B.-FEE tythg. (20) N. Petherton par. Mid.
Somerset. 3 m. S. of Bridgewater-139. Real prop.
22047. ^ B.-FILLEIGH par. (26) Shebbear
hund. NW. Devon. 6 m. SSW. of Tonington-194.
Acres 4550 ; pop. 275 ; poor r. 1487. (Torringt.
U.) ; real prop. 21657. ; charities 17. St. Mary
Sect. (Exet.) val. 2187., patr. Bishop. B. House,
J. T. Fortescue, Esq. ^ B. House (42) 7 m.
SE. of Brecknock, SE. Brecon, igp B.-IN-THE-
MOOK par. (25) Haytor par. S. Devon. 3 m. NW.
of Ashburton-192, on R. Dart, near Dartmoor.
Acres 1500; pop. 114; poor r. 327. (Newton
Abbot U.) ; real prop. 10607. ; charities, parish
land 337. Living, a Cur. with Ashburton ; church,
has a carved screen. B. House, Mrs. Bastard.
^" B.-ST. MARY, par. (21) Abdick hund. S.
Somerset. 4 m. NW. of Chard-139, near Ne-
roche camp and Robin Hood's butts or barrows,
on Blackdown hill. Acres 3120; pop. 696 + 5;
poor r. 3847. (Chard U.); real prop. 31497. St.
Mary Rect. (Ba. and W.) val. 3437., patr. Gen.
Popham. giT B. MINCHIU. See B. SORORUM
P. BUCKLAND MONACHORUM par. (25) Ro-
borough hund. -S W. Devon. 4 m. S. of Tavis-
tock-207, under B. Tor on R. Tavy, was a
mkt. town, and has some remains of the cister-
tian abbey found. 1278 by Amicia de Rivers,
which afterwards came to the Drakes. Acres
6910 ; pop. 1411 + 14; poor r. 4627. (Tavist. U.) ;
real prop. 65647. ; charities 287. of which Lady
Modyford's school 107. Holy Trinity Vic. (Exet)
val. 4307., patr. Rev. W. L. Nichols, vicar ; church,
cruciform with fine tower, and mons. of the Drakes,
and of Lord Heathfield, the defender of Gibraltar,
by Bacon. B. Abbey, Sir T. T. F. Drake, Bt has
a portrait of the great navigator, with some relics
which went round the world with him. Roman
inscriptions have been found here and the vil. is
in part ancient. Fair, Trinity Mon.
P. BUCKLAND-NEAR-DOVER par. (3) Bews-
borough hund. St. Augustine lathe, E. Kent, 1 m.
NW. of Dover-71, on R. Dour, had a lepers' hosp.
found, about 1150 by the monks of Dover priory,
where a chapel now stands. Acres 850, hilly;
pop. 1472 + 64, some in the paper and corn mills ;
poor r. 74867. (Dover U.) ; real prop. 74867 St
Andrew Cur. (Cant) val. 1397!, patr. Archbp.
Fair, 4 Sept.
BUCKLAND-NEWTON HUNDRED (18) Cerne
division, Mid. Dorset, contains that par. with
Mappowder, E. Pulhamr., and Wootton-Glan-
viller. ; acres 12,570, pop. 1854, houses 367. See
WHITCHURCH DEANERY, gig" B. NEWTON par.
as above, 3 m. NE. of Cerne Abbas-127, contains
Brockhampton, Duntish, Knowle, Mintern Parva,
and Plush. Acres 6770 ; pop. 914+ 13, of vil.
310 ; poor r. 7597. (Cerne U.) ; real prop. 16177. ; cha-
rities 277. Holy Rood Vic. (Sal.) val. with Plush
4967., patr. Dean and Chap, of Wells ; church, early
and later eng. i^T B.-RIPER'S par. (17) Culliford-
Tree hund. S W. Dorset. 3 m. NNW. of Weymouth
128, contains Nottington. Acres 1410 ; pop. 118 ;
poor r. 747. (Weymo. U.) Living, a Rect. (SaL)
val. 1767., patr. Q. H. Stroud, Esq. $gg" B. So-
RORUM, or B. MINCHIN (18) Durston par. Mid.
Somerset. 4 m. W. of Taunton, was the site of a
prion 1 -, afterwards made a nunnery, found, about
1167 by the Erleighs, and also of a preceptory of
the Templars which was granted to the Halleys.
^T B.-TOUT-SAINTS chplry. (24) Loddisw'ell
par. S. Devon. 2 m. NE. of Kingsbridge-208.
Acres 1000 ; pop. 56 + 1 ; poow. 87. (Kingsb. U.) ;
real prop. 8107. Living, a Cur. with Loddiswell.
^ B., WEST, par. (26) 1 m. W. of E. Buckland,
Devon, as above. Acres 2290 ; pop. 275 ; poor r.
867. (S. Molton U.) ; real prop. 15537. St. Peter
Rect. (Exet.) val. 1947,, patr. Baroness Basset;
church, with screen carved in arabesque. B.
House, Gen. Webber. ^" B., WEST, par. (21)
W. Kingsbury hund. SW. Somerset. 2 m. E.
of Wellington- 148. Acres 3500 ; pop. 887 + 9 ;
poor r. 5777. (Wellingt. U.) ; real prop. 69887. ;
charities 17. St. Mary Cur. with Wellington;
church, partly norman.
Buckle Grove (46) 4 m. SE. of Ampthill, S.
Beds. ^T B. Row (13) 7 m. W. of Reading,
Mid. Berks, near De la Bere Court
BUCKLEBURY par. (13) Reading hund. Mid.
Berks. 6 m. NE. of Newbury-56, on a stream
which joins R. Thames at Pangbourne, contains
Hawkridge and Marlstone. Acres 6970, part com-
mon; pop. 1277, of town 1065; poor r. 10497.
(Bradfield U.) ; real prop. 13,4937. ; charities 397.,
of which Hartley's school 377. St. Mary Vic.
(Oxon.) val. 4537., patr. W. H. H. Hartley, Esq.
of B. House, who has the manor.
BUCKLERHEAD hmlt. Murroes par. S. Forfar.
5 m. NE. of Dundee-45 ; pop. 48.
BUCKLER'S HARD vil. (11) Beaulieu par. 5.
Hants, on Beaulieu river, near Lymington, has
several shipyards, and was the spot where John, 2nd
duke of Montague, who had the manor, intended
to found his new town, for refining sugar from his
W. India estates.
BUCKLESHAM par. (48) Colneis hund. SE.
Suffolk, 5 m. SSW. of Woodbridge-77. Acres
2310 ; pop. 255 ; poor r. 2107. (Woodbr. U.) ; real
prop. 26487. St. Mary Rect. (Norw.) val. 5697.,
patr. Rev. W. Walford, rector.
BUCKLEY chplry. (79) Hawarden par. E. Flint.
BUCKLOW HUNDRED (80) N. Cheshire, con-
tains the pars, of Ashdon, Bowdon, Grappenhall,
Knutsford, Lymm, Mobberley, Runcorn, War-
burton, parts of Gt. Budworth and Rostherne,
and the town of Altrincham ; acres 107,710 ; pop.
48,625, houses 9005. B. Hill, near , commands
P. BUCKLYVIE q. s. par. in Kippen par. Perth.
and Drymen par. Stirling. 3 m. NNE. of Balfron-50,
is a burgh of barony. Pop. 963. "Baron ofBuck-
lyvie, may the foul fiend drive ye," etc. Fairs,
2nd Tu. iii Feb. and March o. s. 2*6 June, last Tu.
in Julv, 18 Nov.
BUCKMTLL hmlt ( ) Idle chplry. W. R. York.
3 m. NE. of Bradford-196.
BUCKMINSTER par. (70) Framland hund. NE.
Leicest. 8m. ENE. of Melton Mowbray-105, con-
taining Sewstern, was a seat of the Hartopps.
Acres 2080 ; pop. 697 ; poor r. 1717. (M. Mowbray
U.) ; real prop. 27297. ; charities 487. St. J. Bap-
tist Vic. (Pet.) val. with Sewstern 1617., patr.
Earl of Dysart, of B. Park ; church, ancient.
BUCKNALL par. (83) S. Gartree wap. Mid, Lin-
coln. 5 m. W. of Horncastle-134. Acres 2490 ;
pop. 303 + 3 ; poor r. 1437. (Horncas. U.) ; real
prop. 23607. ; charities 187., of which Bowerman's
for educ. 107. St. Margaret Rect. (Line.) val.
2317., patr. Lord Monson.
BUCKNALL-CUM-BAGNALL par. chplry. (72)
N. Pirehill hund. N. Stafford. 2 m. NE. of Stoke-
on-Trent-148, of which it was a part until 1807,
and contains Bagnall, Bucknall, Eaves, and U
berley. Pop. 1G09, of Bucknall 638; real prop.
71 18/., of which 1430/. on mines. St. Mary Beet.
(Lich.) val. with Bagnall 2007., patr. Eev. E.
BUCKNELL par. (65) Wigmore hund. Hereford.
and Purslow hund. Salop, 4 m. ENE. of Knigh-
ton-165, on R. Teme, contains Buckton cur. and
Coxall. Acres 4160; pop. 532+7; poor r. 1567.
(Knight U.) ; real prop. 50707. ; charities 187. St.
Mary Vic. (Heref.) val. with Buckton 332/., patr.
Grocers' Comp. London. jif BUCKNELL par.
(45) Ploughley hund. NE. Oxford. 2 m. NW. of
Bicester-54. Acres 1670 ; pop. 286 + 1 ; poor r.
1477.(BicestU.); real prop. 22107. ; charities 11 1.
St. Peter Rect. (Oxon.) val. 7., patr. New Coll.
Oxon. ; church, part norman, with early eng.
chancel windows and door, and brass of E. Eure
(1638). B. House, T. T. Drake, Esq.
BUCKROSE WAPENTAKE ( ) E. R. York, con-
tains the pars, (and benefices) of Acklam vie., Bird-
sail cur., Bugthorpe v., Burythorperecf. Cowlamr.,
Fridaythorpe ., N. Grimston v., Helperthorpe v.,
Heslerton r., Kirkby-Grindalyth v., Kirkby-un-
der-Dale r., Kirkham, Langton r., Norton c'., ~R.il-
lington v., Scrayingham r., Settrington r., Sher-
burn ., Skirpenbeck r., Sledmere v., Thorpe-
Bassett r., Weaverthorpe t>.,Westow r.,Wetwang v.,
V\ r harram-Percy v., Wharram-le-Street v., Win-
tringham don., and Yeddingham v. ; acres
106,140, pop. 13,086, houses 2436. * B. DEAN-
KKY, archdy. of East Riding, dioc. of York, con-
tains the benefices marked above, with Timber c.,
and Knapton c.
BUCKS HILL (7) 3 m. N. of Rickmansworth-18,
SW. Herts. 3" B., WEST (26) 6 m. SW. of
Bideford-201, N W. Devon.
Buck's Horns (1) 2 m. NE. of Chelmsford, Mid.
Essex, J. M. Foster, Esq.
BUCKSHAW hmlt. (18) Holwell par. Somerset, lo-
cally in Dorset. 4 m. SE. of Sherborne-1 17. Pop. 16.
Buchsted (9)) near Lindfield, Mid. Sussex.
Buckstone, The (43) near the Kymin, W. Glou-
cest. 1 m. N. of Colford, supposed to be a logon stone,
measures 56 ft. round at top, 3 at bottom.
BUCKTON tnshp. ( ) Kyloe chplry. Durtuim,
locally in Northmbrld. 3 m. NNW. of Belford-322.
Pop. 183. igp BUCKTON tnshp. (56) with Cox-
all, Bucknell par. NW. Hereford. 7 m. ENE. of
Knigh ton- 1(55, on R.Teme. Acres 1430 ; pop. 116.
Igr BUCKTON tnshp. ( ) Bridlington par. E. R.
York. 3 m. NNE. of Bridlington-206, near the
coast. Acres 1840 ; pop. 182 + 1 ; poor r. 697.
(Bridling. U.) ; real prop. 22067. B. Hall, I m. NE.
Bucktvell (3) Boughton-Aluph par. E. Kent,
4 m. N. by E. of Ashford, was an old seat of the
Movies, on one of whom there is an epitaph, be-
ginning " To the tender trust of this sad earth."
BUCKWOKTH par. (52) Leightonstone hund.
Mid. Hunts. 1 m. NW. by W. of Huntingdon- 59, a
meet for the Fitzwilliam hounds. Acres 2290 ;
pop. 160 + 2 ; poor r. 1197. (Huntn. U.) ; real prop.
24947. All Saints Rect. (Ely) val. 3307., patr. R.
E. D. Shafto, Esq. B. Grove, m. W. B. Lodge,
\ m. N. ; another. B. Lodge, 2 m. N.
Bucton Castle ( ) a british camp, NE. Clieshire,
on the moors near Yorkshire, commanding very
BUDBROOKE par. (53) Barlichway hund. Mid.
Warwick. 1 m. NW. of Warwick-90, on theBirm.
canal, contains Hampton, Lower Norton, and
Littleworth. Acres 3050 ; pop. 508 + 6 ; poor r.
3567. (Warw. U.) ; real prop. 69917. ; charities 967.,
of which 507. to Marston's school. St. Michael
Vic. (Wore.) val. 3547., patr. Rev. H. White.
BUDBY tnshp. (82) Edwinstowe par. Mid. Notts.
2 m. NW. of Oiler on-137. Pop. 127.
BUDDINGTON hmlt. (9) Bignor par. W. Sussex,
4 m. S. of Petworth-49. Pop. 38.
BUDDLE HILL hmlt. (20) Selworthy par. NW.
Somerset. 3 m. W. of Minehead-163. Pop. 28.
BUDDLES hmlt. (3) St. Peter's par. NE. Kent,
2 m. N. of Ramsgate-73.
BUDDLESGATE (UPPER) HUNDRED ( I l-2)Win-
chester division, NW. Hants, contains the pars,
of Ashley, Crawley, Lainston, Littleton, Little-
Sombourn, Sparsholt, Stoke-Charity, Weeke,
Wonston, and parts of St. Faith and King's-Som-
bourn. B. (LOWER) HUNDRED, the pars, of
Compton, Hursley, and Otterbourne ; total acres
34,090, pop. 5492, houses 961.
Buddo Rock, in St. Andrew's bay, NE. Fife.
Buddonness, N. entrance of R. Tay, SE. Far-
far, in lat. 56 28' N., long. 2 45' W., has 2 fixed
lights NNW. and SSE. 1122 ft. apart, put up 1820,
85 and 65 ft. high, seen 14 and 12 m., which lead
between the Gaa and Abertay sands.
P. BUDE, or BUDEHAVEN, chplry (29) Strat-
ton par. NE. Cornwall, 2 m. W. of Stratton-221,
a small sub-port to Padstow and bathing-place
on B. Bay, has a coasting trade through its sandy
harbour, which admits craft of 50 tons, and is
united to the interior by B. Canal 21 J m. long,
passing Marham church, Pancraswick, Holds-
worthy to Thornbury, with branches up and
down R. Tamar to Launceston. Living, a Cur.
(Exet.) val. I, patr. Sir T. D. Acland, Bt, It
fives name to a very brilliant light, invented by
Ir. G. Gurney of this place.
BUDEAUX, or BUDOCKSHED, or BUDSHED, ST.,
par. (25) Roborough hund. Devon. S. East hund.
Cornwall, 3 m. NNW. of Plymouth-216, a beau-
tiful spot on R. Tamar, near the Salt ash ferry.
Acres 2500 ; pop. 790 + 2 ; poor r. 4047. (Plymp-
ton U.) ; real prop. 56297. ; charities, Docton's
school 867. Living, a Cur. (Exet.) val. with
Knackers Knowle 1367., patr. Vicar of St. An-
drew's, Plymo', some time held by the learned
and penurious AJcock ; church, b. by the Budock-
sheds, who for a long time had the manor and a
castle (now a farm), and of whom and the Georges
there are tombs.
BUDLE tnshp. ( ) Bamborough par. NE.
Northmbrld. 3 m. ENK of Belford-322, on Warren
bay. is a meet for the Elcho hounds, and has a
creek and sub-port to Berwick close to B. Point,
defended by a pier, and abounding with cockles.
Pop. 102, in the graneries and flour mills. B.
House, seat of G. Smith, Esq. through the Forsters.
A roman way went hence to Alnwick over tho
hills ; and along the coast to Dunstanboro' castle
there is a succession of trap, limestone, slate, grit-
stone, alternately every few hundred yards.
BUDLEIGH (2i) 3 m. ESE. of Wellington-148,
BUDLEIGH (EAST) HUNDRED (21-2) E. Devon.
contains the pars, and benefices of Aylesbeare vie.,
Bicton rect., E. Budleigh v., St. George Clist r.,
Clist-Honiton cur., St. Mary-Clist r., Colyton-
Rawleighu., Faringdonr., Gittisham, Harpfordr.,
Littleham v., Lympstone r., Otterton v., Rock-
beare v., Salcombe-Regis v., Sidbury v., Sid-
mouth c., Ven Ottery c. (with Ilarpford), Withy-
combe-Rawleigh c. (with E. Budleigh), Wood-
bury c., and the town of Exmouth c. ; acres 50,290,
pop. 22,001, houses 4424. See AYLESBKAUK
DEANERY. B. (WEST) HUNDRED (21) Mid. De-
von, contains the pars, of Cheriton-Fitzpaine rect.,
Poughill r., Shobrooke r., Stockleigh-Englishr.,
Stockl. Pomeroyr., Upton-Helions r., and Wash-
field ; acres 16,890, pop. 3372, houses 653. See
CADBURY DEANERY. fly BUDLEIGH, EAST,
par. (22) in that hund. as above, 4 m. WSW. of
Sidmouth-158, was once a mkt. town, and con-
tains B. Salterlon and Great and Little Knowle.
Acres 2490; pop. 2319 + 24; poor r. 865?. (St.
Thomas U.) ; real prop. 90217. ; charities 331. All