Saints Vic. (Exet.) val. with Withycombe-Raw-
leigh and Salterton 318/., patr. Heirs of Lord
Rolle of Bicton. Hayes, now a farm, was the
birthplace of Raleigh. Fair, Easter Mon.
P. BUDLEIGH SALTERTON vil. (22) as above, a
coast gd. station and bathing-place with a fine
beach, where R. Otter falls into the Channel.
BUDNA (52) 3 m. N W. of Biggleswade-45, SE.
BUDOCK par. (31) Kerrier hund. SW. Cornwall,
1 m. W. of Falmouth-269, on that bay, includes
Pendennis castle and Glaseney, where was a col-
lege found. 1270 by Bp. Bronescombe. Acres
3320 (or 3507), granite, felspar, etc. ; pop. 1979
+ 18, some in a copper mine ; poor r. 4087. (Falm.
U.) ; real prop. 11,5257. ; charities 10Z. Living,
a Vic. with St. Gluvias ; church, has tombs of the
Killigrews of Ardwinnick. Budockvean, F. Pen-
BUDWORTH, GREAT, par. (80) Bucklow, Eddis-
bury, and Northwich bunds. If. Cheshire, 2 m. N.
of Northwich-174, on R. Weaver, near B. Meres
and N. West, rail, contains Northwich, Whitton,
Antrobus, Barnton, Hartford, Little Leigh, Los-
tock, Lower Peover, Stretton, Tabley Chapel,
Lower Whitley, Wilderspool curs., with Appleton,
Bartington, Wincham, and 19 other tnshps. Acres
36,450, of tnshp. 840 ; pop. 17,103 + 205, and 677
+ 9, in the salt-works ; poor r. 6267. (Runcorn U.) ;
real prop. 24717. ; charities 4427., of which 2707.
to Witton gram, school. St. Mary and All Saints
Vic. (Ches.) val. 6267., patr. Chr. Ch. Coll. Oxon. ;
church, ancient. Marbury Hall> J. S. Barry, Esq. ;
Belmont, J. Leigh, Esq. (Ji^ B., LITTLE, par.
(80) First Eddisbury hund. Mid. Cheshire, 4 m.
ENE. of Tarporley-178. Acres 2630, part com-
mon ; pop. 599 ; poor r. 1557. (Northwich U.) ;
real prop. 3786Z. ; charities 1927., of which 1307. to
Dodd's almsh. St. Peter Cur. (Ches.) val. 857.,
patr. Bishop ; church, reb. 1798, belonged to St.
Mary's nunnery, Chester.
Budzeat, 5 m. SSW. of Nairn, N. Nairn.
J< BUELTE DEANERY. See BUILTH, Brecon.
BuERSiLLhmlt. (88) Castleton tnshp. SE. Lan-
cashire, 2 m. SE. of Rochdale-198.
BUERTON, or BRUERA, or CHURTON> HEATH
tnshp. (80) Aldford par. SW. Cheshire, 4 m. S. of
Chester-183, near R. Dee and Staton hall. Acres
780 ; pop. 81 + 2 ; real prop. 9357. St. Mary Cur.
with St. Oswald } church, with norman chancel
arch and door, igg" BUERTON tnshp. (73) Aud-
lem par. S. Cheshire, 6 m. S. of Nantwich-164.
Acres 2980 ; pop. 512 + 5 ; poor r. 1867. (Nantw.
U.) ; real prop. 37387. ; charities 137.
Muffler's Halt (45) 2 in. N W. of Buckingham,
P. BUGBROOKE par. (53) Nobottle-grove hund.
S W. Northmptn. 5 m. SW. of Northampton-66,
on N. West, rail., Gd. Junct. canal, and Watling
St., near the suspension br. on a branch of R. Nen,
belongs to the Duchy of Lancaster. Acres 2420 ;
pop. 953 + 9 ; poor r. 3937. (Nhamptn. U.) ; real
prop. 54457. ; charities 207. St. Michael Rect.
(Pet.) val. 7417., patr. Rev. Dr. Harrison, rector ;
church ancient, with screen and 8-sided font.
Bughtrig, 5 m. S. of Dunse, S. Berwick.
BUGLAWTON chplry. (81) Astbury par. SE.
Cheshire, 2 m. NE. of Congleton-162, on R. Dane,
has a mineral spring. Acres 2960 ; pop. 1864,
silk weavers ; poor r. 2857. (Conglet. U.) ; real
prop. 69977. Living, a Cur. (Ches.) val. 1507.,
patr. Rector. B. Hall, S. Pearson, Esq.
Bugle Hall (11) near Southampton, 5. Hants.
A. R. Dottin, Esq.
BUGLEY hmlt. (18) Gillingham par. N. Dorset.
5 m. WNW. of Shaftesbury, once had a chapel.
^= BUGLEY (14) 1 m. WSW. of Warminster-9C,
Bugsby's Reach, a bend of the Thames from Lea
ness, near Blackwall, Midsx. to Hook ness, towards
Woolwich (Kent), lying S. by E. 4 E., and N. by
W. \ W., 1 m. long, with only 9 ft. at low water
^except at B. Hole, where there is 11 ft.), and a
flat shelf adjoining the marshes on each side.
Bugsmill (13) 1 m. SW. of Abingdon, N. Berks.
BUGSWORTH chplry. (81) Glossop par. NW.
Derby. 3 m. NW. of Chapel-en-le-Frith-167, near
B. Hall, is joined to CHINLEY.
BUGTHORPE par. ( ) Buckrose wap. E. R. York.
6 m. N. of Pocklington-202, on a branch of R.
Derwent. Acres 1990; pop. 296; poor r. 807.
(Pockling. U.) ; real prop. 23507. St. Andrew
Vic. (Pet.) val. 1117., patr. Archbp. of York.
Buie Loch, S. of Mull I. NW. Argyll. gg B.
Loch, 6 m. SSW. of Strathy head, NE. Suthrld.
g B. Loch, 9 m. NW. of Dornock, S. Suthrld.
<&. BUILDWAS par. (61) S. Bradford hund. E.
Salop, 3 m. NW.of Broseley-146, under the Wrekin,
near Telford's iron bridge across the Severn of
130 ft. span, has the venerable remains in the
transition norman style of the cistertian abbey
found. 1135 by Roger Bp. of Chester, the walls
of the nave, transept, chapter-house, and the
tower, being nearly entire, but the side aisles and
chapels are gone, and the cloister is a farmyard.
Acres 2950 ; pop. 273 + 3 ; poor r. 1447. (Madeley
U.) ; real prop. 2395 ; charities 57. Holy Trinity
don. Cur. (Lich.) val. 207., patr. W. Moseley, Esq.
of B. Park, which comes through the Actons, but
was first granted by Hen. VII. to the Lords Powis.
BUILTH HUNDRED (56) in N. Brecon, contains
the pars, and benefices of Alltmawr cur., Llanafan-
fawr vie., Llanafanfechan c. with. Llanddewiaber-
gwessin, Llanddewirewm c., * Elandulas, Llan-
fair or Builth c., Llanfihangelabergwessin c. (with
Llangammarch), Llanfihangelbrynpabuan c. (with
Llanafanfawr), * Llangammarch v., Llanganten
c., Llangynog c., Llanlleonvel c., * Llanwrthwl v.,
* Llanwrtyd (c. with Llangammarch), Llanynys
rect., Maesmynis r. ; pop. 6794, houses 1225.
>I< BUILTH, or BUELTE, DEANERY, the benefices
marked above with Glyncollwng c.
P. M. BUILTH par. (56) in the above hund.
14 m. N. of Brecknock, 173 from London, on R.
Wye, and nominally a borough called Llanvair-
yn-Muallt by the Welsh, has the remains of a
castle built soon after the Conquest, in which the
bradwyr Buallt ' traitors of Builth ' refused the
last Llewellyn shelter previous to his death in the
Cwm Llewlyn (at Aberedw). Pop. 1203 -*- 17 ;
houses 230, irregular, with 4 chapels, bridge,
mkt. house, and Union poor house $ poor r. 4917.
on 23687. ; real prop. 25227. ; charities, Pritchard's
for education 607. St. Mary Cur. (St. Dav.) val.
1067., patr. R. B. Price and V. Pocock, Esqs.;
church, has a tomb of a Lloyd of Towy. The
lordship, which was at first granted to the fam.
of De Braose, was afterwards in the crown ; the
town was almost destroyed by fire 1691. Near it
are Park Well mineral waters ; and there is good
salmon and trout fishing. Builth P. L. Union,
contains the pars. etc. of Aberedw, Bettws Dis-
serth.Cregrina, Disserth and Trecoed, Llanbadarn-
y-Garreg, Llandrindod, Llanelwedd, Llanfaredd,
Llansaintfread in Elvel, Rhulen in Radnor. and
in the above hund. (except those marked *), with
Crickadarn, Gwenddwr (North and South), and
Gwaravog, Llysdinam, Penbuallt, Rhosferig, Tref-
lis in Brecon. ; pop. 8714, cases relieved (1846-7)
1000 (all out-door), expend. 3755/., prop, rated
33,292/. Sup. Registry comprises the same up to
Gwenddwr, with Trawsgoed ; pop. 8714 + 20.
The New County Court district corresponds with
the Registry. Mkt. D. Mon. Fairs, 27 June, 2
Oct. 6 Dec.
Buinaha Cape ( ) 5 m. SE. of Clare Isld. W.
Mayo, on S. side of Clew bay.
BriTTLE par. 4 m. SE. of Castle Douglas-92,
S. Kirkcudbt. on Solway Frith and Urr Water,
contains Palnachie. Size 10 m. by 3, good, with
rock-crystal, talc, spar, and iron ore ; pop. 1059 + 5,
some fishermen ; real prop. 7793Z. ; for poor 241Z.
Living (Presb. Kirkcdbt.) val. 23U, patr. Crown.
Butbourn Brook (7) runs into R. Gade and Gd.
Juiict. canal, near Boxmoor, W. Herts.
BULBRIDGE tythg. ( ) Wilton par. S. Wilts.
near Wilton-84. Pop. 58. Living, a Beet, with
Wilton; no church.
BULBY hmlt. (70) Irnham par. S. Lincoln. 3 m.
EXE. of Corby-106. Pop. 146.
BULCAMP hmlt. (50) Blythburgh par. NE.
Suffolk, 3 m. SE. of Halesworth-100, the spot
where Anna, king of E. Anglia, and his son were
killed in battle against Penda of Mercia 654.
Pop. 109. The Blything house of industry is here.
BULCOTE chplry. (71) Burton-Joyce par. <S.
Notts. 4 m. NW. of Bingham-124. Acres 970 ;
pop. 154 + 1 ; poor r. 22/. (Southwell U.) ; real
prop. 1104/. Living, a Cur. with Burton- Joyce.
Buley Castle ( ) 3 m. NW. of Appleby, N.
Westmrld. on R. Eden, now in ruins, was b. by
Jno. de Builly, and came to the Veteriponts, and
Bps. of Carlisle.
BULFORD par. (14) Amesburyhund. SE. Wilts.
2 m. XNE. of Amesbury-77, on R. Avon. Acres
4160 ; pop. 367 + 7 ; poor r. 172/. (Amesb. U.) ;
real prop. 2634i ; charities, Duke's school SI. St.
John don. Cur. (Sal.) vaL 75L, patr. Dr. Southby.
B. House, . Some druidical stones are seen.
BULGADEN par. (40) Coshlea bar. E. Limerick,
4 m. NNE. of Kilmallock, united to the adjoining
pars. Acres 3395, chiefly in pasture. B. Hall,
a decayed seat of Lord Carbery, formerly of the
BULK tnshp. ( ) Lancaster par. N. Lancash.
2 m. NE. of Lancaster-240, near Carlisle rail.
Acres 1200 ; pop. 113 + 1 ; poor r. 66Z. (Lane. U.) ;
real prop. 2739/. B. House, J. Bushell, Esq.,
where a wild cat was taken 1849.
BULKELEY tnshp. (73) Malpas par. SW. Che-
sliire, 5 m. NE. of Malpas- 168. Acres 800 ; pop.
190 ; poor r. 23J. (Nantwich U.) ; real prop. 1327Z.
BULKINGTON par. (63) Knightlow hund. NE.
Warwick. 4 m. SSE. of Nuneaton-100, on Coven-
try canal and N. West rail., contains Barnacle,
Bramcott, Marston-Jabbett, Ryton, Weston, and
Wolvershill. Acres 4600, with freestone quarries ;
pop. 183 1 + 4, ribbon weavers (800 looms) ; poor r.
636/. (Nuneat. U.) ; real prop. 6814/. ; charities
68, of which Bp. Hickman's 60Z. St. James Vic.
(Lich.) val. 253, patr. Ld. Chancellor.
BULKINGTON tythg. (14)Keevil par. W. Wilts.
4 in. SW. of Devizes-89. Pop. 268.
BULKWORTHY par. (26) Snebbear hund. NW.
Devon. 6 m. SW. of Torrington-194. Acres 6050 ;
pop. 196; poor r. 977. (Bideford U.); real prop.
7111. Living, a Cur. with Buckland-Brewer.
Bull and Cow Rocks, 2 m. W. of Dursey isld.
W. Cork, a group of well worn rocks of singular
shape, t^" B. Bay (78) 1 m.W. of Amlwch, N.
Anglesea, has shelter in S. winds with anchorage
in 5 fath. gif B. Camp, or Bald Camp. See BUL-
CAMP, Suffolk. (sT B Gill ( ) 4J m. NE. of
Maryport, W. Cumbrld. on Carl. rail. O" B.
Hall (15) near Ringwood, SJV. Hants. R. Ethe-
ridge, Esq. $&" B. Hatch Green (7) 10 m. N
of Brentwood, W. Essex. ^ B. Hill (32) 3 m.
W. of Kilcullen, Mid. Kildare. ^ B. Hill
81) 3 m. W. of Tideswell, NW. Derby. ^ B.
r sld. (1) Cary bar. N. Antrim, lies off the isld. of
Rathlin. U^ B. Loch, Rothsay par. N. Isle of
Bute. $3 B. Point (27) 1 m. ENE. of Morte
PL, NW. Devon, in Bristol Chan, (g- B. Sand,
in R. Humber's mouth, E. R. York, near Spurn
head, has a vessel with a fixed light, in 4 fath.,
seen 10 m.
BULLAUN par. (97-8) Loughrea bar. E. Galwy.
4 m. N. of Loughrea- 109. Acres 1729; pop. 445.
Living, a Vic. with Kilcolgan.
Bullaunmare Mount. (46) Tirawley bar. N.
Mayo, 1274 ft. high.
Bullbarrou} (18) 4 m. NW. of Milton Abbas,
Mid. Dorset, a circular camp, 927 ft. high, where
roman coins have been found.
BULLER'S GREEN tnshp. ( ) Morpeth boro',
SE. Northmbrld. near Morpeth-289. Pop. 169.
BULLERS-BUCHAN vil. Cruden par. NE. Aber-
deen. 5 m. SW. of Peterhead-144, a fishing-place,
near the Bullers, (or BouUloir i. e. Boiler), ofBu-
chan, a natural well in the granite cliff 150 ft. deep
and 50 diam. up which the sea dashes in bad
weather with great violence. Slain's castle, in
ruins is near, and B. Rocks are off it.
BULLET par. (43) Duchy of Lancaster hund.
NW. Gloucest. 5 m. W. of Gloucester- 10 2. Acres
780 ; pop. 229 + 1 ; poor r. 84/1 (Westbury U.) ;
real prop. 2122J. Living, a Cur. with Churcham ;
church, partly norman.
BULLFA vil. (41) Garth parcel, SW. Brecon.
about 10 m. N. of Neath-198. Pop. 10.
BULLHURST (71) 6 m. NW. of Derby-126,
BULUNGDON HUNDRED (13, 45) Mid. Oxford.
contains the pars, and benefices of Albury rect.,
Ambrosden, Baldon-Marsh r., Baldon-Toot vie.,
St. Clement's, Cowley cur., Cuddesden r., Elsfield
., Forest Hill c., Garsington r., Headington v.,
Holton r., Horsepath c., Iffley, Marston c., Mer-
ton, Nuneham-Coortney r., Piddington, Sandford
c., Shotover, SL John Stanton r., Stow- Wood,
Waterperry v., Wood- Eaton r., and parts of Beck-
ley c., and Great Milton r. Acres 46,630 ; pop.
13,297 ; houses 2702. See CUDDESDEN DEAHERY.
BULLENGHAM, UPPER and LOWER, par. (43)
Webtree hund. S. Herefd. 2 m. S. of Hereford
-134. Acres 1700, part in hops ; pop. 412 + 1 ;
poor r. 194J. (Heref. U.) ; real prop. 2810Z. ; cha-
rities 31. Living, a Cur. (Heref.) val. 109i, patr.
BULLXNGTON par. (12) Upper Wherwell hund.
N. Hants. 6 m. SE. of Andover-63, has a roman
camp at Tilbury hill, where remains have been
found. Acres 1760 ; pop. 187 ; poor r. 212/. (An-
dov. U.) ; real prop. 1849/. St. Michael Cur. with
Wherwell. B. House, an old seat, belongs to
Col. Hawker, of Longparish, author of 'Instruc-
tions to young Sportsmen.' O" BULLINGTON
chplry. (83) Goltho par. Mid. Lincoln. 8 m. NE.
of Lincoln-132, has the ruined tower of Simou
Fitzwilliam's priory founded in Stephen's time.
Acres 760 ; pop. 52 ; poor r. 33/. (Line. U.) ; real
P. BULLOCK, or BULLOG (23) Rathdown bar.
SE. Dublin, 7 in. SE. of Dublin, a fishing vil. near
Kingstown, with remains of a castle. Pop. 872.
Perrin casL seat of Aid. Perrin.
BULLOCK-SMITHY vil. (81) 3 m. SE. of Stock-
port-176, NE. Cheshire. Pop. cotton spinners.
BULLOCK'S HALL tnshp. ( ) Warkworth par.
E. Northmbrld. 7 m. NNE. of Morpeth-289.
Pop. 19. flip B. Hatch (7) near Maidenhead,
E.Berks. T. Athorpe, Esq.
Buu.'s BUSHES (12) 7 m. E. of Whitchurch,
N. Hants. ^P B. CROSS hmlt. (1) Enfield par.
NE. Middlesex, 2 m. W. of Waltham Abbey.
^ B. Head (53) N. side of Dingle bay, W. Kerry.
l^ B. Head Hill (84) 5 m. N. by E. of Spilsby, E.
Lincoln, near Ulceby a landmark for this coast.
Bui/slaughter Bay (38) near St. Goven's Head,
BULLSTON. See BOULSTONE, Pembroke.
Butlup Law, in the Lammermuir hills, NW.
Berwick, near Lammer Law.
Bully, Boley, or Bailley, Hill (6) near Rochester
Cast. N. Kent, where urns, paterae, and other rornan
remains have been found. Satis, Baker, Esq.
formerly of R. Watts, who entertained Q. Eliz.
1573, when she gave it the name 'satis,' enough.
Bulmarsh Court ( 13) 2 m. E. of Reading,!?. Berks.
BULMEK par. (47) Hinckford hund. Jv. Essex,
2 m. W. of Sudbury-54. Acres 2880 ; pop. 775
+ 7 ; poor r. 334/. (Sudb. U.) ; real prop. 6073Z.
St. Andrew Vic. (Roch.) value with Belchamp-
Walter 445Z., patr. S. M. Raymond, Esq.
BULMER WAPENTAKE ( ) N. R. York, con-
tains the pars, (and benefices) of AJne vie., Bossall
v., Brandsby rect., Bulmer r., Craike r., Crambe
., Dalby r., Easingwold P., Foston r., Haxby cur.
with Strensall, Gate-Helmsley v., Upper Helms-
ley r., Holtby r., Huntington v., Button's- Ambo
c., Marton, Myton v., Newton-on-Ouse c., StOlave
Mary Gate, Osbaldwick v., Overton v., Sheriff-
Hutton ., Skelton r., Stillington r., Stockton-on-
the-Forest c., Strensall v., Sutton-on-the-Forest
v., Terrington r., Thormanby r., Warthill v.,
Whenby p., Wiggington r., and parts of Barton-
le- Street, Brafferton v., St. Cuthbert, St. Giles,
Hovingham, St. Michael-le-Belfry, and St. Sa-
viour; acres 115,670, pop. 21,825, houses 4271.
* B. DEANERY, archdy. of E. Riding, dioc. of
York, contains the benefices in the above, and
Birdforth and Ouse waps., with Farlington c.,
Sessay r., Yearsley c. Sip BULMER par. ( ) in
the above wap. 6 m. SW. of New Malton-217,
near N. Midld. rail., contains Henderskelf and
Welburn. Acres 3800, of town 1430 ; pop. 983
+ 8, and 324 ; poor r. 65?. (Mai ton U.) ; real prop.
1990/. St. Mary Rect. (York.) val. 395/., patr.
BULNESS. See BOWNESS, Westmrld.
BULPHAN par. (1) Barnstable hund. SW.
Essex, 6 m. SSE. of Brentwood-18. Acres 2020 ;
pop. 254 + 2 ; poor r. 186Z. (Orsett U.) ; real prop.
2006Z. St. Mary Rect. (Roch.) val. 342/., patr.
J. S. Hand, Esq.
Bulstrode (7) 3 m. ESE. of Beaconsfield, S.
Bucks. Duke of Portland, formerly of the Bul-
strodes, and of Judge Jeffries, has 6 hunting
pieces bv Sneiders, ' Holy Familv ' by Raphael,
Lely's 'Will. III.' and the 1st ' earl of Portland,'
who brought him over in 1688, sea pieces by
Vandervelde, ' a Madonna ' by Vandyke in the
chapel, and a trench in the park which abounds
with deer, old trees, and commands a view of
Windsor castle, etc.
BULVERHITHE-ST. MART, par. (5) Hastings
borough, SE. Sussex, 2 m. W. of Hastings, on
Brighton rail, close to the sea, which has en-
croached on it. Pop. 37. decreasing.
Bulwalk or Bulwark (51) 2 m. NE. of Earith,
E. Hants, close to R. Ouse, a camp, supposed to
be the work of the civil wars.
P. BULWELL par. (71) N. Broxtow wap. S W.
Notts. 4 m. NW. of Nottingham-124, on Midld.
rail, hi Sherwood forest, contains Hempsall. Acres
1210, with limestone ; pop. 3157 + 54, calico printers
and bleachers, lace makers, and stocking knitters
with 606 frames at work ; poor r. 525/. (Basford
U.) ; real prop. 5733Z. ; charities 31/., of which
18Z. to Strelley's school. St. Mary Rect. (Line.)
val. 328/., patr. Rev. A. Padley of B. Hall. B.
Wood Hall, 2 m. NW. now a farmhouse. Lands
here descend to the youngest son.
BULAVICK par. (64) Corby hund. NE. North-
mptn. 6 m. NW. of Oundle-78. Acres, with B.
Short-Leys, 1910 ; pop. 487 ; poor r. 2557. (Oundle
U.) ; real prop. 3025/. ; charities 35/. St. Nicholas
Rect. (Pet.) val. 336/., patr. Rev. T. Tryon, of B.
Hall; church, decorated and later eng. B. Lodge,
1 m. SE.
BUMBOHAH, hmlt. ( ) Upper Talbotstown
bar. W. Wicklow, 3 m. N . of Baltinglass, seat of S.
Wilson, Esq. Ballymore, H. Carroll, Esq.
Burnley Row (103) 4 m. SE. of Wolsiugham,
BUMLLN par.. (23-4, 29-30) Roscommon bar.
E. Roscommon, contains Strokestown-94. under
Slievebawn. Acres 6582, with limestone ; pop.
5257 + 34. Living, a Vic. ( K. E. A.) with 2
ethers ; val. 481/., patr. Bishop.
Bumper Castle (82) 4 m. NE. of Winster, N.
BUMPSTEAD HELTON par. (47) Freshwell hund.
N. Essex, 2 m. SW. of Haverhill-59, on the
Camb. border, a meet for E. Essex hounds. Acres
2790 ; pop. 906 + 6 ; poor r. 676Z. (Risbridge U.) ;
real prop. 3840Z. ; charities 21. St. Andrew Vic.
(Roch.) val. 174/., patr. Trinity Coll. Camb. B.
House, 1 m. E.
P. BUMPSTEAD STEEPLE par. ( ) Hinckford
hund. 2 m. E. of the above. Acres 3460 ; pop.
1212 + 12; poorr. 493Z. ; real prop. 582 II. ; cha-
rities 15Z. St. Mary Vic. (Roch.) val. 22 9/.,
patr. Ld. Chancellor.
Bunatrahir Bay (7) Tirawley bar. N. Mayo, 3 m.
SSW. of Downpatrick head, near Bally-castle.
P. BUNAWE vil. Muckairn par. N. Argyll. 15 m.
NNW. of Inverary-104, at a pass on Lochs Etive
and Awe, under Ben Cruachan. where Bruce de-
feated the M'Dougals 1448. Pop. , in the Lorn
iron foundries and the salmon fisheries.
BUNBRASNA vil. ( ) Leney par. Mid. West-
meath, 6 m. NXW. of Mullingar-48.
P. BUN BURY par. (80) Broxton and Eddisbnry
hands. S. Cheshire, 6 m. NW. of Nantwich-16-i,
near Chester and Crewe rail., containing Bur-
wardsley cur., Alpraham, Beeston, Calveley,
Haughton, Peckforton, Ridley, Spurstow, Til-
ston-Fearnall cur., Tiverton, "and Wardle, was
given to the Bunburys by Hugh Lupus, and had
a coll. found. 1386 by Sir Hugh de Calveley, the
Cheshire hero, and leader of the mercenaries in
the French wars. Acres 17,600, of tnshp. 1000 ;
pop. 4678 + 30 and 926; poor r. 232/. (Nantw.
U.) ; real prop. 3021/. ; charities Z. St. Boni-
face Cur. (Ches.) vaL 117/., patr. Haberdashers'
Comp. ; church, later eng. was fired by the
royalists 1643, and has a side chapel, pinnacled
tower, and mons. of Calveley (with Coifs head
for crest) of Beeston, who commanded at the de-
struction of the Armada when he was 89 yrs. old,
and others. A celebrated wake is held here on
the Sunday before St. Boniface's day.
Bunchrew, near Inverness, N. Invern. J. Fraser,
Esq., belonged to President Forbes of Culloden.
BUNCKTON chplry. (9) Ashington par. Mid.
Sussex, 3 m. NW. of Steyning-50. Pop. 72.
Living, a Cur. with Ashington.
Buncraggy (41) Islands bar. near Clare, Mid.
Clare, seat of the Burtons.
P. M. BUNCRANA vil. (29) Lower Fahan par.
Innishowen bar. NE. Donegal, a sessions town
and pretty bathing-place, on Lough Swilly,
10 m. SW. of Cardonagh, 157 from Dublin. Pop.
961, fishermen, weavers, etc. ; houses 176, with
courthouse, church, 3 chapels, linen factories, dis-
pensaries. B. Castle, built by the Vaughans, seat
of Mrs. Todd, near the remains of O'Donnell's
BUNDALOCH vil. Kintail par. S W. Ross. 42 m.
WSW. of Beauley-174, near Loch Alsh, is joined
BUNDARRA Or BuNDORRAGHA vil. (115) Mur-
risk bar. SE. Mayo, near Killery harb. on B.
Jiivulet. Pop. 115.
P. BUNDORAN vil. (106) Tirhugh bar. S. Done-
gal, a bathing-place, 4 m. SW. of Ballyshannon
-129, on Donegal bay. Pop. 289.
BUNDROES vil. (1) Rossclogher bar. NW. Lei-
trim, 2 m. NW. of Kinlough-141, on B. Rivulet,
which rises in Lough Melvin and falls into the
sea below the vil.
BUNDUFF vil. (3) Carbury bar. N. E. Sligo, on
P. Buness, in Unst, Shetland Islds. seat of
Sanderson. Esq., near the chrome quarries.
P. M. BUNGAY, HOLY TRINITY and ST. MARY,
pars. (50) Wangford hand. NE. Suffolk, 30 m.
NNE. of Ipswich, (11 m. from E. Union rail.),
109 from London on R. Waveney (which is na-
vigable up to this), has some remains of the castle
b. by the Bigods, and of a benedictine nunnery
found. 1 160 by Roger de Glanvile and his wife.
Acres 2090, part common, but inclosed ; pop. 1861
and 2248, or 4109 + 37, in the grain and malt
trade, burning lime, etc. ; houses 836, modern (the
town, except one street, having been burnt 1688),
with 2 churches, 3 chapels, octagonal mkt. house
and cross, assembly-rooms, 3 banks, savings bk.
(16,118/. from 608 depositors), theatre, botanical
society, paper and silk factory, flour mills, lime-
kilns, county bridge, cold baths, gram, school (64Z.)
with 4 scholarships at Eman. Coll. Camb., dis-
pensary, almshouses; poor r. 1901/. on 10,866J.
(Wangf. U.) ; real prop. 13.530/. ; charities 603/., of
which town lands 438/. St. Mary Cur. (Norw.) val.
115/., patr. Duke of Norfolk, who has the manor,
church, large and of flint, reb. 1696, with fine
tower; Holy Trinity Vic. 256/., Bishop of Ely,
church, ancient with a round tower. Be-
tween the two stood the nunnery, and there
was a third church, long since destroyed. Some
mineral springs are found. Hugh Bigod, says an
old rhyme, considered his castle, which he de-
fended for Stephen, impregnable; but he was
obliged to deliver it up to the ' king of Cockney,'
Hen. II. Mkt. D. Thurs. Fairs, 14 May, 25 Sept.
Bungosteen Rivulet (82) Bannagh bar. SW.
Donegal, runs about 6 m. S. to Killibegs bay.
BUNGOWLA hmlt. Ardumore isld. W. Galway,
near the 7 churches, on Dun Angus and the Bra-
Bunker's Hill ( ) 12 m. from Leamington,
Warwick, a meet for the Warwick, hounds.
BUNKLK par. with Preston, 4 m. NNE. of
Dunse-44, NE. Berwick, under B. Edge, in Lam-
mermuir (rising 700 ft.) near R. Whitadder.
Size 4^ m. by 3, or 11,300 acres, partly arable
with wood and traces of copper; pop. 748;
real prop. 8850/. ; for poor 99/. Living CPresb.
Dunse) val. 280i, patr. Lord Douglas, who has
the barony. J. Brown, the inventor of the
'Bninonian' system of medicine, was a native
Bunlaghy Rivulet (92} Bannagh bar. SW.
Donegal, rises in Lough Namafin and runs 5 m.
S. to Inver bay.
Bunnacunneen Hill (25) Ross bar. N. Galway,
is 1902 ft. high.
Bunnalione Lough (9, 14) Magheraboy bar. N.
W. Fermanagh, 1 m. SW. of Church Hill, one of
the sources of the R. Sillies.
P. BUNNANADDAN hmlt. (38) Corran bar. S.
Sligo, 5 m. E. of Tobercurry-132.
Bunnanimma Hill (24) Cremorne bar. Mid.
Monaghan, 886 ft. high.
BUNNAWN par. (102) Glanderough bar. W.
Kerry, 6 m. S. of Kenmare, near " Priest's Leap,"
is joined to Kilcaskin, Cork, and is chiefly bare
mountain, belonging to Marq. of Lansdowne.
Bunnet's Farm (8) 8 m. S. of Dorking, S.
P. BUNNY par. (71) N. Rushcliffe wap. S.
Notts. 6 m. S. of Nottingham-124, a meet for
the Donnington hounds. Acres 2000 ; pop. 360,
some stocking makers; poor r. 9S/. (Basford
U.)) real prop. 2934Z. ; charities 97/., of which
92/. to Parkyns' school, etc. St. Mary Vic.
(Line.) val. with Bradmore 425J., patr. Rev.
J. R. W. Boyer ; church, partly decorated eng.,
with crocketted spire, and mon. of the learned
and eccentric Sir T. Parkyns (of B. Park, now
seat of Ld. RanclifFe), who was a famous wrestler,