wrote a book on the ' Cornish Hug,' and left a
guinea to be wrestled for annually.
Bunny (16) 6 m. E. of Christchurch, S. Hants.
BUNNYCONNELLAN vil. (31) Gallen bar. E.
Mayo, 5 m. E. of Ballina -159.
Bunnyhow, or Bunnahow, Lough (113) 6 m. S.
of Gort, -S. Galway, near B. House, W. Butler, Esq.
Bunowen Rivulet (11) Ross bar. N. Galway,
falls into Killerry harbour.
BUNOWN, or BUNNAHOWNA, vil. (66) 6 m.
WNW. of Newport-176, N. Mayo, on Clew bay,
of which it has a noble view.
Bunown Bay (49) 7 m. SW. of Clifden, W.
Galway, near B. Castle, J. O'Neill, Esq.
BUNRATTY (LOWER) BARONY (50-3) SE. Clare,
contains the pars, of Bunratty, Clonloghan,
Drumline, Feenagh, Kilconry, Kilfinaghta, Kil-
fintinan, Kilmaleery, Kilmurry, Kilnasoolagh, and
parts of Killeely, St. Muchin's, St. Patrick's-Tom-
flnlough ; acres 69,083, an. val. 43.307/., pop.
23,525, houses 3698. B. (UPPER) BARONY (25
-7, etc.) Mid. Clare, the pars, of Clooney-Doora,
Inchicronan, Kilraghtis, Quin, and Templemaley ;
acres 53,844, an. val. 24,49U, pop. 18,370, houses
P. &. BUNRATTY par. (51-2, 61-2) Bunratty
Lower bar. SE. Clare, 5 m. SE. of Newmarket-
on-Fergus-134, near the Shannon, has the fine
remains of a castle, b. 1277 by the Clares, now a
police station. Acres 2754, chiefly pasture ; pop.
1320 + 5. Living, a Vic. with Kilfinaghta. B.
Castle, seat of T. Studdert, Esq., a descendant of
the Clares, and owner of the castle and par. Off
the town in B. Roads, is the best anchorage in
the river, where large ships unload for Limerick.
BUNHEE vil. (29) Tireragh bar. W. Sligo, 15 m.
SW. of Dromore-143, on B. Rivulet. Pop. 197.
BUNSFIELDS (46) 2 m. ENE. of Hemel Hemp-
stead-23, W. Herts.
Bunsteyfarm (46) 8 m. NW. of Newport Pag-
nell, N. Bucks.
Bunting (45) 3 m. W. of Brackley, 5 W. North-
BUNTINGFIELD (82) 5 m. SW. of Chesterfield
-150, NE. Derby.
P. BUNTINGFORD chplry. (47) Aspeden, Lay-
ston, Throcking and Wyddiall pars. NE. Herts.
12 m. NNE. of Hertford, 31 from London, on R.
Rib, is a polling and petty sess. and decayed
mkt. town. Pop. 581, in the malt and leather
trades ; houses in one street, with 2 chapels, savings
bk., gram, school (13Z.) in which Bp. Seth Ward,
a native (1618-1689), was educated, and which
he endowed with 4 scholarships at Christ's Coll.
Cam. also Bp. Ward's almshouses (99Z.) ; poor
r. I. ; charities (with Layston). St. Peter Cur.
with Layston; church, b. 1626 by Strange,
a vicar. Bunting. P. L. Union, contains the
Ears. etc. of Anstey, Aspeden, Broadfield, Buck-
ind, Cottered, Hormead (Great and Little), Lay-
ston (where poor house is), Meesden, Rushden,
Yardley ; acres 29,040 ; pop. 6790 ; cases relieved
(yr. 1846-7), 993 (out-door 753), expend. 3347Z.,
prop, rated 35.742Z. It belongs to Royston New
County Court district. Fairs 29 June, 30 Nov.
Buntingsdale Hall (73) 2 m. SW. of Drayton,
NE. Salop. J. Tayleur, Esq.
P. BUNWELL par. (66) Depwade hund. 8E.
Norfolk, 3 m. NE. of New Buckingham-93. Acres
2280 ; pop. 1001 + 6, some bombazin makers ; poor
r. 443Z. (Depw. U.) ; real prop. 4198Z. charities 31Z.
St. Michael Rect. (Norw.) val. 644Z., patr. SirR. J.
BUNWY (30) 6 m. N. of Camelford-228, NE.
BUOLICK par. (42-3, 48-9) Slievardagh bar. W.
Tippery. 9 m. E. of Thurles, near the Bog of Allen,
has the remains of a castle once belonging to the
Butlers, now to R. la Touche, Esq. Acres 7116,
mostly bog, with coal ; pop. 2660 + 39. Living, a
Rect. with Borrisleigh. Littlefield, E. Cooke, Esq.
Bupton Green (72) 8 m. WNW. of Derby-126,
BURAECHES HUNDRED. See BUELEIGH-
BURASTON. See BORASTON, Salop.
BURBAGE, or BURBACH, chplry. (63) Aston
Flamville par. S W. Leicester. 1 m. SE. of Hinckley
-99, on Watling St. Pop. 1780 + 17, stocking
makers with 450 frames at work; poor r. 863Z.
(Hinck. U.) ; real prop. 86171. St. Catherine Cur.
with Aston-Flamville. B. Lodge 1 m. SE.
P. BURBAGE par. (14) Kinwardstone hund. E.
Wilts. 6 m. SSE. of Marlboro'-74, on Kennet and
Avon canal. Acres 3530 ; pop. 1455 ; poor r. 829Z.
(Pewsey U.); real prop. 5381Z. ; charities 101Z.
All Saints Vic. (Sal.) val. 257Z. patr. Bishop.
BURBEACH HUNDRED (9) Bramber rape, S.
Sussex, contains the pars, of Seeding, Ifield, and
part of Edburton ; acres 8630, pop. 2592, houses
Burbeck River ( ) runs into R. Lune, near
Whinfell, Mid. Westmrld.
Burblethwaite ( ) 3 m. ESE. of Ireby, Mid.
Burbo Flats the great sand in Liverpool bay,
at the entrance of the Mersey lying between the
Floating and Rock Lights, is 7 m. long and 3 to
5 broad, partly dry at half tide, and well buoyed
all round, having the Victoria and Crosby or
main channels on the N., and the Horse and Rock
channels to the S. where it nears the Hoyle Sand
at the mouth of R. Dee.
Burbrook River (81-2) runs into R. Derwent,
near Chatsworth, N. Derby.
BURCOMBE (22) 1 m. S. of Ottery St. Mary,
P. BURCOMBE, NORTH, par. (14-5) Cawden
hund. 5. Wilts. 1 m. W. of Wilton-84, contains
SOUTH B. tythg. (pop. 21) and Ditchampton.
Acres 3090 ; pop. 402, some carpet makers 5 poor
r. 218Z. (Wilton U.); real prop. 1162Z. Living,
a Cur. (Sal.) val. with St. John's 52?., patr. Master
of St. John's, Wilton.
BURCOTT hmlt. (46) Wing par. Mid Bucks.
3 m. SW. of Leighton-Buzzard-41. Pop. 170.
B. Lodge, 1 m. NW. tgp BURCOTT (46) 2 m.
NE. of Aylesbury-40, Mid. Bucks, (gf BUR-
COTT hmlt. (13) Dorchester par. S. Oxford.
4 m. E. of Abingdon-56, on R. Thames, which is
navigable. Acres 1550 ; pop. 183 + 2 ; real prop.
1080Z. ; charities 3Z. B. House, H. J. Hannam, Esq.
t&- BURCOTT tnshp. (61) Worfield par. E. Salop,
2 m. NE. of Bridgnorth-139. gig- BURCOTT
tythg. (19) Wells city, Mid. Somerset. 1 m. W. of
Wells-120. Pop. 103 ; real prop. 2265Z. B. House,
C. Taylor, Esq. ^ BUKCOTT (54) 1 m. NE. of
Bromsgrove-116, NE. Worcester.
BURDEN'S-BALL tythg. (14) South Newton par.
S. Wilts. 2 m. N. of Wilton-84.
BURDIEHOUSE vil. Libberton par. N. Edinb.
4 m. S. of Edinbro', so called from Bordeaux
House, the name given it by the emigrants who
settled here after the revocation of the edict of
Nantes, has large lime quarries, abounding with
fossils, among which were found the megalicthys,
or large fish, of Agassiz.
BURDON hmlt. (26) High Hampton par. NW.
Devon. 4 m. W. of Hatherleigh, J. D. Burdon, Esq.
l^P BURDON tnshp. ( ) Bp.-Wearmouth par.
NE. Durham, 3 m. S. of Sunderland-268, near
Durham rail. Acres 1000; pop. 114; poor r. 19Z.
(Easington U.) ; real prop. 1511Z. iJipB., GREAT,
tnshp. ( ) Haughton par. SE. Durham, 2 m. NE.
of Darlington-241, near Stockton rail. Acres 510,
pop. 117 + 1; poor r. 30Z. (Darlingt. U.) ; real
prop. 141 1Z. B. Little, 1 m. E.
Bjtrdons (1) 4 m. E. of Romford, SW. Essex.
BURDOSWALD ( ) 4 m. NE. of Brampton, N.
Cumbrld. on R. Eden, is the roman Amboglanna
on the Wall, where more inscriptions have been
found than anywhere else in that quarter.
Burdrop House (34) 2 m. S. of Swindon, NE.
Wilts. J. Calley, Esq.
EURO'S PASTURES (51) 3 m. NE. of Caxton-50,
Burdyard House, near Forres, Elgin. W. Tytler,
BURE tythg. (16) Christchurch par. 5 W. Hants.
1 m. E. of Christchurch-100, on the bay. Pop.
786 ; real prop. 4751Z.
Bure River (66-7-8) rises at Melton Constable,
NE. Norfolk, and runs about 35 m. S E. to R.Yare
at Yarmouth, passing Aylsham, whence it is na-
vigable, and receiving the Ant and Thone near
Acle bridge in the marshes.
BURES-ST. MARY par. (48) Hinckford hund.
Essex, Babergh hund. Suffolk, 5 in. SSE. of Sud-
bury-54, on R. Stour, where Edmund, king of E.
Anglia was crowned, according to some writers.
Acres 4220, of town 1480 ; pop. 1596 + 4, of town
612 ; poor r. 575Z. (Sudbu. U.) ; real prop. 5853Z. ;
charities 11Z. St. Mary Vic. (Norw.) val. 273Z.
patr. O. Hanbury, Esq. ; church, standing in Suf-
folk, had a steeple burnt down by lightning, and
contains effigies of a Cornard, and tombs of the
Bures and Walgraves or Waldegraves.
P. BURES, MOUNT, par. (48) Lexden hund.
N. Essex, 1 m. SW. of the above, on R. Stour,
near an artificial mount or moat. Acres 1430 ;
pop. 282 + 2 ; poor r. 249Z. (Lexden U.) ; real prop.
2402Z. St. John Rect. (Roch.) val. 353Z., patr.
Rev. J. Brett, rector.
BURFA tnshp. (56) Old Radnor par. E. Radnor.
is joined to EVENJOBB, and is on R. Borva.
Burfield (56) 5 m. N. of Knighton, -S' W. Salop.
I^T B. Hall (66) 1 m. SW. of Wymondham,
Mid. Norfolk, Mrs. R. Burrowes.
BURFORD (26) 3 m. SE. of Hartland-214, NW
P. M. BURFORD par. (44) Bampton hund. W
Oxford. 16m. WNW. of Oxford, 73 from London,
a nominal boro', on R. Windrush near Wychford
forest, containing Upton and Signett, is the saxon
Bvorford, where a synod was held 682 ; was
the scene, 752, of a battle (at Battle Edge) in
which Cuthred king of Wessex defeated Ethel-
bald, and had a small priory granted to the
Harmans. Acres 2170 ; pop. 1862 + 24, -of tnshp.
1644, some saddlers (once a flourishing trade) ;
houses 349, manv ancient and ill-built, with 3
chapels, bank, savings bk. (10,8667. from 329 de-
positors), Wisdom's free school (847.in town-
hall), in which Heylin, a native (1600-62) and
author of Microcosmos,' Lord Rochester, and
Lord Liverpool, were educated, the Warwick
(247.), Wisdom's and Castle's (117.) almshouses ;
poor r. 7447. on 31617. (Witney U.) ; real prop.
33787.; charities 349/., of which church estate
657. St. J. Baptist Vic. (Oxon.) val. with Ful-
brook 2947., patr. Bishop; church, large cruci-
form, in various styles, with a tall norman tower
and spire out of perpendicular, W. door, and
fine early eng. porch, 2 side chapels, and tombs
of Leggare and of Chief Baron Tanfield (who
had the manor), brass of J. Spycer and wife
(1437), and an old font. B. Priory, a seat of
K. J. W. Lenthall, Esq. in the elizabethan style,
was bought by Speaker Lenthall of the great
Lord Falkland, and has part of Chas. II.'s col-
lection at Hampton Court, including Sir T. More
and fam.' (supposed) by Holbein, 'Chas. I.' by
Jansen, Vandyke's ' Lord Falkland ' and * Q. Hen-
rietta,' Needham, author of the ' Mercurius Bri-
tannicus,' etc. during the civil wars, and Beechey
the painter (1753-1839), were natives ; and it gives
title of earl to duke of St. Alban's. Thlaspi per-
foliatum, perfoliate pennycress, is found in the
stone pits. Mkt. D. Sat. Fairs, last Sat. April,
cattle, cheese; 5 July, horses; 25 Sept. horses,
BUKFORD par. (55) Overs hund. S. Salop, 1 m.
W. of Tenbury-133, on R. Teme and Kington
canal, and once a mkt. town, contains Boraston,
Greet, Nash, Stoke, Tilsop, Weston, Whatmore,
and Whitton. Acres 8370, part in hops; pop.
1031, of town 297 + 3 ; poor r. 1177. (Tenb. U.) ;
real prop. 33357. ; charities 107. St. Alary Rect.
(Heref.) in three portions, val. 1st portion with
Boraston and Nash 3377., 2nd with Whitton cur.
2867., 3rd 3357., patr. of all G. B. Rushout, Esq. ;
church, has brass of E. Cornwall (14th cent.)
BURFORD. See BRITFORD, Wilts.
Burford Bank, at the entrance of Dublin Bay,
4J m. from Poolbeg light, is 1 m. long, nearly m.
broad, lying NNE. and SSW. with 2 to 4 fath. on
it, and buoys at each end. $&" B. Lodge (8)
1 m. NE. of Dorking, Mid. Surrey, Mrs. Bar-
clay, near B. Bridge, on R. Mole. S3T BURGAOE
district (71) Southwell par. Mid. Notts. ^ BUR-
GAGE jiar. (5, 10) Lower Talbotstown bar.
NW. Wicklow, 2 m. SW. of Blessington-18, of
which it is part, belongs to the Marq. of Down-
shire. Acres 1876; pop. 506. Rusborough, Earl
of Miltown; Russeltown, J. Hornidge, Esq.
BURGATE par. (50) Hartismere hund. N. Suf-
folk, 4 m. NW. of Eye-89, near E. Union rail.
Acres 1830, part common ; pop. 369 + 14 ; poor r.
2557. (Hartism.U.); real prop. 28997. St. Mary
Rect. (Norw.) val. 5607., patr. Bishop of Ely;
church, has double-canopied brass of Sir Will. B.
and lady (1409Y
BURGATE (MIDDLE) NORTH and SOUTH tythgs.
(15) Fordingbridge par. W. Hants. 1 m. N. of
Fordingbridge - 91. Pop. 657, 129, and 609 re-
spectively ; real prop. 70277. B. House, Hon. J.
BURGEDIN tnshp. (66) Guilsfield par. NE.Mont-
gomery. 2 m. N. of Welshpool-171. Pop. 491.
BURGER STREET hmlt. (11) N. Stoneham par.
S. Hants. 3 m. N. of Southampton-74.
BURGESBEG, or BURGESS, par. (20. 26) Owney
bar. W. Tippery. 5 m. SW. of Nenagh-95. Acres
4980 ; pop. 2782. Living, a Rect. with Castle-
town-Arra ; church, in ruins.
Burgess Hill (9) 3 m. S. of Cuckfield, Mid. Susx.
on Bright, rail.
BURGH par. (50) Carlford hund. SE. Suffolk,
4 m. NW. of Woodbridge-77. Acres 780 ; pop.
266 + 1 ; poor r. 1677. (Woodb. U.) ; real prop.
23117 ; charities, town lands 117. St Botolph
Rect. (Norw.) val. 2477., patr. M. Barne, Esq.
P. BURGH-APTON, or BERGHAPTON, par. (66)
Clavering hund. SE. Norfolk, 3 m. NW. of Lod-
don-112. Acres 1620 ; pop. 564 + 6 ; poor r. 1667.
(Loddon U.) ; real prop. 37647. ; charities 1177.
St. Martin Rect. (Norw.) val. with Holverstone
5737., patr. Earl of Abergavenny. B. Lodge, 1 m.
N. flp B.-BY-SANDS par. ( ) Cumberland ward,
N. Cumbrld. 5 m. NW. of Carlisle-301, on the Ship
canal, contains Boustead hill, Lougburgh, and
Moor-house, is the roman Axelodunum, the 16th
station on Severus's wall, near the end of Ha-
drian's, and was the spot (now marked by an
obelisk at B. Marsh) where Edw. I. died 1307, on
his last march against Scotland. Acres 6380 ; pop.
1003, of town 512; poor r. 1467. (CarLU.);
real prop. 25487. ; charities 107. St. Michael Vic.
(Carl.) val. 1207., patr. Lord Chancellor. The
barony, which was bestowed on Holm-Cultram abb.
by De Morville, one of & Becket's murderers, came
to the Multores, Dacres, and Howards, and now
belongs to Earl Lowther. Inscriptions, altars, etc.
have been found at the old castle, on the site of
the station near the church, which has a norman
door and fortified tower.
P. BURGH-CASTLE par. (67) Mutford hund.ALF.
Suffolk, 3 m. WSW. of Yarmouth-124, on Brey-
don Water at the junction of Rs. Waveney and
Tare is the roman Garianonum, where coins, etc.
have been found, was a crown manor, and near it
are remains of an abbey found, by Fursaeus, a monk.
Acres 1210; pop. 327 + 5; poor r. 737. (Mutf.
Incorp.) ; real prop. 23637. ; charities, poor's allot-
ment 287. St. Peter Rect. (Norw.) val. 4007.,
patr. Ld. Chancellor ; church, ancient, built out
of the ruins of the roman fortress, fragments of
which are still left. 3T B. Gate (8) 3 m. S.
of Godalming, SW. Surrey.
P. BURGH HEAD, orBROUGHHEAD, vil. Duffus
par. .ZV. Elgin. .7 m. NW. of Elgin-138, a coast gd.
station, fishing" and bathing-place on B. Bay in
Moray Frith, with a small pier harbour (a sub-
port to Inverness), near the ancient Ptoroton, or
Alatra Castra, of which there are remains. Pop.
829 + 8. ^T B. House (8) near Epsom, E.
Surrey, Earl Egmont.
P. M. BURGH-IN-THE-MAPSH par. (84) Can-
dleshoe wap. E. Lincoln. 33 m. ESE. of Lincoln,
154 from London by Gt. North, rail., near
the sea, to which the B. Gout runs, has re-
mains of a roman castrum. Acres 4240 ; pop.
1095 + 19 ; houses 232, with Palmer's free school
(607.) ; poor r. 6477. on 57007. (Spilsby U.) ; real
prop. 86507. ; charities 1317. St. Peter Vic. (Line )
val. with Winthorpe 977., patr. Bishop ; church,
later eng. with fine embattled tower, had a chan-
try found, by J. Holden. Coins have been found,
and tumuli are seen. Mkt. D. Th. Fain, 13 May,
black cattle, sheep, horses ; 2 Oct. cattle.
BURGH-ST. MARGARET AND ST. MART par.
(67) W. Flegg hund. E. Norfolk, 7 m. NW. of
Yarmouth-124, near R. Sure, was once a mkt.
town. Acres 2160 ; pop. 506 + 1 ; poor r. 2387.
(Flegg Incorp.) ; real prop. 37857. ; charities 791.
St. Margaret and Mary Reel. (Norw.) val. 4247.,
patr. Rev. W. Lucas, rector ; St. Mary church, in
ruins. ifiP B.-Sr. MAKY, or, -NEAR AYLSHAM
(68) S. Erpingham hund. NE. Norfolk, 2 m. SE. of j
Aylsham, on R. Bure. Acres 540 ; pop. 314 + 6 ; poor i
r. 167*. (Aylsh. U.) ; real prop. 16877. St. Mary
Beet. (Norw.) val. 2337., patr. J. H. Holley, Esq.
gg" B. MATTISHALL. See MATTISHALL BERGH,
Norfk. ^ B. PARVA par. (68) Holt hund. N.
Norfolk, 4m. S\V. of Holt-119, is joined to MIL-
TON CONSTABLE. Church, in ruins, gap" B.-Sx.
PETER, or WHEATACRE BURGH, par. (67) Cla-
vering hund. SE. Norfolk, 5 m. ENE. of Beccles
-109, on R. Waveney. Acres 1970 ; pop. 312 ;
poor r. 2177. (Loddon U.) ; real prop 34197. St.
Peter Rect. (Norw.) val. 3307., patr. Rev. W. Boy-
catt. ^ B., SOUTH, par. (66) Mitford hund.
Mid. Norfolk, 2 m. N\V. of Hingham-99, near R.
Blackwater. Acres 1260 ; pop. 307 + 4 ; poor r.
1177, (Mitford U.) ; real prop. 20417. St. Andrew
Sect. (Norw.) val. 2497., patr. T. T. Gurdon, Esq.
P. BURGH- UPON-BAINE par. (83) E. Wraggoe
wap. Mid. Lincoln. 6 m. W. of Louth-143, con-
tains Girsby-on-the- Wolds, and is a meet for the
S. Wold hounds. Acres 1870 5 pop. 155 + 2 ; poor
r. 119Z. (Louth U.) ; real prop. 24307. St. Helen
Vic. (Line.) val. 133/., patr. J. W. Fox, Esq.
BURGH-WALLIS par. (87) Osgoldcross wap. W.
R. York. 8 m. NNW. of Doncaster-162, on the
roman way to York, contains Sutton, Haywood,
and Robin-Hood's well. Acres 1700 ; pop. 245
+ 2, of town 217; poor r. 797. (Doncas. U.);
real prop. 26137.; charities 37. St. Helen Rect.
S r k.) val. 2757., patr. M. Tasburgh, Esq. of B.
yuse, through the Anns.
BURGHCLERE par. (12) Lower Evingar and
Kingsclere hunds. N. Hants. 4 m. WSW. of Kings-
clere-54, contains Earlstone, under the Seven
barrows hills. Acres 3560 ; pop. 845 + 4 ; poor r.
6077. (Kingsc. U.) ; real prop. 5023/. ; charities
40/., of which 207. to school. All Saints Rect.
(Wine.) val. with Newton 829/., patr. Earl of Car-
narvon of Highclere park.
Burghersh Hall (50) near Witnesham, Suffolk,
Rev. P. Meadows.
P. BURGHFIELD par. (12) Theale hund. Mid.
Berks. 4 m. SW. of Reading-38, on R. Kennet.
Acres 4700, part common ; pop. 1115 + 15 ; poor r.
821/.(BradfieldU.) ; real prop. 52587. ; charities 2U
St. Mary Rect. (Oxon.) val. 8107., patr. Earl of
Shrewsbury ; church, ancient, with a crusader in
wood. Atllose hill, under soft stone, a bed of
sand and cockle shells 1 ft. thick was found.
BuRGHiLLpar. (43, 55) Grimsworth hund. Mid.
Hereford. 4 m. NW. of Hereford-134, containing
Tillington, has a square camp near the Port
way to Kenchester. Acres 3170, part in hops;
pop. 863 ; poor r. 3927. (Heref. U.) ; real prop.
3164Z.; charities 20/., of which 81. to school.
Living, a Vic. (Heref.) val. 94/., patr. B. Bid-
dulph, Esq. of B. Court.
BurghUl House (5) 4 m. NW. of Hailsham,
Mid. Sussex, T. Day, Esq.
Burghley House (64) near Stamford, NE. North-
mptn. seat of Marq. of Exeter, on R. Welland,
was partly built by the great Lord Treasurer,
and has a fine collection, including a Carlo Dolce,
Cranach's ' Luther,' several Holbeins, painted
ceiling by Verres, and a noble park laid out
" Burgie Castle, 3 m. ENE. of Forbes, N. Elgin,
near some ancient remains.
Burglow, or Burglome, Loch, W. side of Lewis^
Western Islds. inside Bernera, is 3 m. by 1.
Burh, or Burch, of the Saxons, is PETEHBOKO',
BURHAM par. (6) Larkford hund. Aylesford
lathe, N. Kent, 4 m. NNW. of Maidstone-34, or
R. Medway, under B. Downs. Acres 1630, part in
hops; pop. 380 + 10; poor r. 1377. (Mailing U.) ;
real prop. 25547. ; charities 267. St. Mary Vic.
(Roch.) val. 1917., patr. C. Milner, Esq.
Burhill House (8)2 m. S. of Walton-on-Thames,
N. Surrey, Col. Tynte, M. P.
Burhope House '(55) 7 m. N. of Hereford, Mid.
Hereford, near Burghill as above, and now in
decay, was the old seat of the Goodyeres and
Burhou Islet and Reef, between the Caskets and
Alderney, Channel Islds., from which it is divided
by the Passage du Singe, has a small house upon it.
BURIAN, ST. See ST. BURYAN, Cornwall.
P. BURITON par. (11) Lower Finch, Dean
hund. E. Hants. 2 m. SSW. of PetersfieId-54, near
Butser hill, contains Nursted and Weston. Acres
6840; pop. 993 + 17, in the gray lime quarries ;
poor r. 5807. (Petersfd. U.); real prop. 71367.;
charities Bp. Lanney's 167. St. Mary Rect. (Wine.)
with Petersfield, val. 11947., patr. Bishop.
BURKSTOWN viL (40) Shelbourne bar. SE.
Wexford, 9 m. SE. of New Ross-90.
BURLAND tnshp. (73) Acton par. S. Cheshire,
3 m. WNW. of Nantwich-164, on Ellesmere canal.
Acres 1450 ; pop. 639 + 12 ; poor r. 807. (Nant. U.) ;
real prop. 32707.
Burlasvath (30) 2 m. NE. of St. Colomb, Mid.
Burleigh (46) 2 m. SSW. of Stevenage, A'. Herts.
Burkigh Castle, 2 m. NE. of Kinross, on Loch
Leven, now a farmhouse, belonged to Lord Bal-
four of Burleigh, attainted in 1715. A hollow
ash, called Burleigh 's hole, in which he was con-
cealed, is gone. ifaT B. Hall (63) near Lough-
borough, N. Leicester. Mrs. Tate. B. Fields, Col.
BURLEIGH-ABCHES, or BURARCHES, HUNDRKD
(5, 9) Pevensey rape, Mid. Sussex, comprised
only Lindfield par. Acres 5350, pop. 1939, houses
BURLESCOMBE par. (21) Bampton and Halber-
ton hunds. NE. Devon. 5 m. SW. of Wellington
-148, containing Appledore and Westleigh, under
Blackdown, near Gt. West, canal and rail., has
remains of a priory at Canonsleigh. Acres 4210,
hilly, with limestome and a mineral well ; pop.
958, chair makers ; poor. r. 8277. (Wellingt. U.) ;
real prop. 63597. St. Mary Vic. (Exet.) val. 2557.,
patr. E. A. Sandford, Esq., who has the manor ;
church, later eng., with carved screen, font, and
tombs of .the Aysfords of Aysford Court, now a
BURLESTONE par. (17-8) Piddletown hund. &
Dorset. 6 m. NW. of Dorchester-120, on R. Piddle.
Acres 750 ; pop. 65 ; poor r. 187. (Dorchest. U.) ;
real prop. 4947. Living, a Rect., with Athel-
Burleu-as, or Shire, Manor (51) Madingly par.
W. Camb. 4 m. WNW. of Cambridge, belongs to
the knights of the shire, towards whose expenses
Barley (71) 3 m. N. of Derby, Mid. Derby. B.
House (82) 3 m. NE. of Winster, .TV. Derby.
IfiP BURLEY hmlt. (34) Minchinhampton par.
Mid. Gloucester, near Minchinhampton-98.
P. BURLEY ext. par. (15) with Bistern Closes
Ville, Ringwood hund. S W. Hants. 4 m. ESE. of
Ringwood-92. Acres, with B. Lodge, 2500 ; pop.
464 + 14 ; poor r. 937. (Ringw. U.) ; real prop.
15637. St. John Cur. (Wine.) val. 1007., patr.
Bishop. The foundation was once visible here
of a church, supposed to have been pulled down
by the Conqueror, in making the New Forest.
giy BURLEY LODGE ext. par. as above, Mrs.
Shaw Lefevre. Pop. 21. igip BURLEY tythg.
(15) Ringwood par. near the above. Pop. 86.
URLEY, or B.-ON-THE-HILL, par. (64) AIs-
toe hund. NW. Rutland. 2 m. NE. of Oakham-95,
in the vale of Catmose, belonged to the Segraves,
De Lisles, Spencers, and others, and at length
came to Villiers D. of Buckingham. Acres 3390, of
which the park 1085 ; pop. 252 + 2 ; poor r. 947.
(Oakham U.); real prop. 41951.; charities 107.
Holy Cross Vic. (Pet.) val. 3507., patr. G. Finch,
Esq. B. House, seat of Earl of Winchelsea, on the
site of that in which Villiers entertained Jas. I.
when Jonson performed his masque of the Gipsies,
and which, except the fine stables, was burnt in
the civil wars, is a noble pile, with doric front
196 ft. long, commanding a view of the whole
county, and has many fam. portraits of the
Finches and others, C. Dolce's ' Dead Christ and
Madonna,' an ' Infant Christ,'a Bacchanalian piece,
frescoes by Landscroon, with some fine inlaid slabs
of Derbyshire spar. IJgf BURLEY tnshp. (55, 61)
Culmington par. S. Salop, 4 m. NNW. of Ludlow
-143. Pop. 140. gg BURLEY chplry. ( ) Leeds
borough, W. R. York. 3 m. NNW. of Leeds-189,
is joined to HEADINGLY, and is a Cur. (Rip.) val.
1507., patr. Trustees.
P. BURLEY chplry. ( ) Otley par. W. R. York.
2 m. NW. of Otley-205, on R. Wharfe. Acres
3190; pop. 1736 + 29, in the cotton and worsted
mills; poor r. 1667. (Carlton Incorp.) real prop.
57227. Living, a Cur. (Rip.) vaL 89/., patr. Vicar.
B. Wood, T. Stansfeld, Esq.
BURLEY DAM chplry. (73) Acton par. S.
Cheshire, 4 m. S. of Whitchurch-193, on the Salop
border, is a Cur. (Ches.) val. 100/., patr. Visct.
Combermere. ^- B. GATE (55) 7 m. NE. of
Hereford-134, E. Hereford, a meet for Herefd.
hounds. ^ B. HEYS (80) 6 m. N. of Northwich
-174, N. Cheshire. igT B. Hill (47) 1 m. SE. of
Royston, NE. Herts.
P. BURLINGHAM-ST. ANDREW, par. (66) Blofield
hund. E. Norfolk, 8 m. E. of Norwich-108. Acres
730 ; pop. 214 ; poor r. 1847. (Blof. U.) ; real prop.
2355/. Living, a Rect. (Norw.) val. B. with St.
Edmund 5507., patr. Mrs. Burroughes of B. House,
igg" B-Sr. EDMUND, par. close to the above.
Acres 480 ; pop. 98 ; poor r. 367. ; real prop. 14497.