found! in Rich. I.'s time by the Lathoms, and
afterwards the burial place of the Stanleys, now
removed to Ormskirk. Acres 4340 ; pop. 2228,
cotton spinners, etc. ; poor r. 3297. (Ormsk. U.) ;
real prop. 12,0897. B. BRIDGE Cur. (Ches.) val.
1., pair. Vicar. S. Hall, . ; Lathom House,
Bursea Farm ( ) 6 m. NE. of Howden, E. R.
P. BURSLEDON, or BussELDON par. (11) Upper
Mainsbridge hund. S. Hants. 4 m. ESE. of South-
ampton-74, on R. Hamble. Acres 830 ; pop. 548
+ 4, shipbuilders, etc. ; poor r. 2067. (S. Stone-
ham U.); real prop. 241 9/. ; charities 51. St.
Leonard Cur. with Hound. B. Lodge, R. Trench,
P. M. BURSLEM par. (72) N. Pirehill hund.
Stoke boro' N. Stafford. 17 m. N. of Stafford,
147 from London, by N. Stafford, rail., on Gd.
Trunk canal, a polling and sessions town, in the
centre of the Potteries, containing Abbey-Hul-
ton (with remains of an abbey), Corbridge,
Dale - Hall, Longport, Rushton - Grange, and
Sneyd curs, was the birthplace of Wedgewood
(1730-95), who here invented and established
his queen's and other wares and porcelains,
and cut the first clod of the Trent and Mersey
canal which opened a way for the clays and flints
of the South. Acres 2930, with coal, claj r , red
sandstone ; pop. 16,091 + 338, of tnshp. 12,G31,
potters and miners ; houses 2379, on a hill-side,
and making one with Longport, with 9 chapels,
townhall, 2 banks, many pottery ' banks ' (or
works), Bourne's school (27/.) ; poor r. 48537. on
40,0287. (Wolstantpn U.) ; real prop. 45,1017., of
which 10027. on mines ; charities 337. St. Peter
Rect. (Lich.) val. 5097., patr. Rev. C. Her-
bert; church, with an old stone steeple. The
potteries appear to have been worked from an
early age, and in old maps this place was called
the Butter pottery. It is Sarcardeslim of ' Domes-
dy. ' and till 1807 was part of Stoke-on-Trent.
Ktruria, seat of J. Wedgewood, Esq., built by his
father. For P. L. Union, see WOLSTANTON.
Mkt. Ds. Hon. Sat. Fairs, Sat. before Shrove
Sun. Easter-day, Whit Sun. Midsum.-day if Sat.
or Sat. after, 1st Sat. after 11 Sept. day after
BURSTALL par. (48) Samford hund. S. Suffolk,
4 m. W. of Ipswich-69, has a good view. Acres
1230 ; pop. 223 + 3 ; poor r. 447.(Samford Incorp.) ;
real prop. 12727. St. Mary Cur. with Bramford.
BURSTALL GARTH MANOR (85) SkefHing par.
E. R. York. 4 m. SE. of Patrington-192.
BURSTEAD, GREAT, par. (1) Barstable hund.
S. Essex, contains Billericay-23, near Blunt's
Walls camp. Acres 4420; pop. 2168+19; poor
r. 8667. (Billeri. U.) ; real prop. 86717. ; charities
nil/., of which Bayley's school 607. St. M. Mag-
dalen Vic. (Koch.) val. 1887., patr. Rev. E. Evans.
-7?" B., LITTLE, par. as above, m. W. Acres
l.ii'ii; pop. 170; poor r. 1577,; real prop. 18257.;
charities, Cowper's 447. St. Mary Rect. (Roch.)
vul. 3567., patr. Bp. London.
BURSTOCK par. (18) Wliitechurch-Canonicorum
hund. NW. Dorset. 4 m. N W. of Beaminster-137.
Acres 970 ; pop. 307 + 4 ; poor r. 1277. (Beamin.U.) ;
real prop. 17887. ; charities 147. St. Andrew Vic.
(Sal.) val. 1557., patr. J. Bragge, Esq.
BURSTON (46) 3 m. NE. of Aylesbury-40, Mil.
Bin-hs. $3" B. par. (50) Diss hund. 8. Norfolk,
2 m. NNE. of Diss-86, near E. Union rail. Acres
1300; pop. 4C8; poor r. 3717. (Depwade U.);
real prop. 26507. ; charities 57. St. Mary Rect.
(Norw.) val. 4187., patr. Ld. Chancellor; church,
of flint, with round tower, and octangular turret
of later date. ^P BURSTON tnshp. (72) Stone
par. Mid, Stafford. 4 m. SE. of Stone-141, near
R. Trent, is joined to ASTON.
BURSTOW par. (8) Second Reigate hund. SE.
Surrey, 7 m. SE. of Reigate-21. Acres 4420;
pop. 863+13; poor r. 4817. (Reig. U.); real
prop. 26757. ; charities 47. St. Bartholomew Rect.
(Cant.) val. 5117., patr. Ld. Chancellor, some
time held by Flamstead, the first astronomer
royal. B. Lodge, now a farm, formerly belonged
to the Burstows (when it was called Coultings),
afterwards to the Byshes, of whom was Edwd.
the learned antiquary and herald.
BURSTWICK-CUM-SKECKLING par. (86) S. Hol-
derness wap. E. R. York. 6 m. NW. of Patring-
ton-192, contains Ryhill with Camerton. Acres
5720; pop. 810 + 12, of tnshp. 524 + 9; poor r.
2177. (Patring. U.) ; real prop. 54117. All Saints
Cur. with Skeckling ; church, later eng.
BCHSWICK. See BURWICK, Orkney Islds.
BURT, BERT, or BIRT, par. (38-47) Innishowen
bar. E. Donegal, on E. side of Lough Swilly, 7 m.
S. of Buncrana-157, has the ruins of an O'Dohertv's
castle on B. Hill (800 ft. high). Acres 10,67*2 ;
pop. 3857 + 10. Living, a Cur. (Dy. R.) val. 687.,
patr. Dean of Deny. B. House, A. Ferguson, Esq.
BURTERSETT hmlt. ( ) Hawes chplry. N. R.
York. 1 m. E. of Hawes-249.
BURTHOLME tnshp. ( ) Lanercost par. N.
Cumbrld. 2 m. NNE. of Brampton-311, on R.
Irthinge. Pop. 330 ; real prop. 12937.
Burthy Brew'm (31) 5 m. S. of St. Colomb, Mid.
BURTLE hmlt. (19) Calcott, Edington, and
Chilton pars. Mid. Somerset. 5m. ENE. of Bridge-
BURTOFT hmlt. (70) Wigtoft par. S. Lincoln.
2 m. SE. of Swineshead-109. Pop. 158.
BURTON par. (79) Higher Win-all hund. NW.
Cheshire, 1 m. NW. of Chester-183, a coast gd.
station, at R. Dee's mouth, containing Pud-
dington, was a mkt. town, and the birthplace
of good Bp. Wilson (1663-1755), and had an hos-
pital at Denwall, found, by Bp. Savensby, after-
wards given to St. J. Baptist, Lichfield. Acres
2920, with a colliery running nearly 2 m.
under the river towards Gt. Neston of tnshp.
1620 ; pop. 428, and 282 ; poor r. 487. ( Wirrall U.) ;
real prop. 20537. ; charities Bp. Wilson's school
357. St. Nicholas Cur. (Ches.) val. 54/., patr. R,
Congreve, Esq. of B. Hall. ' Burton ' i. e. burgh
or burrow, or bury, town. (Jgf 'Burton (16) near
Churchtown, N. Cork, a ruined seat of the Per-
cevals in the middle of a large park, igf BUR-
TON tnshp. (73) Gresford par. E. Denbigh. 5 m.
NNE. of Wrexham-179, on the Flint, border.
Pop. 446. B.Hall,. ^ BURTON hmlt. (17)
Charminster par. S.Dorset. 1 m. N. of Dorchester
-120. g3" BURTON hmlt. (18) Marnhull par.
NE. Dorset. 3 m. ENE. of Stalbridge-112.
has a marble quarry, gg- BURTON tythg. (17)
Winfrith par. S.Dorset. 6 m. W. of Wareham-115.
&T BURTON vil. (36) Penmark par. SE. Glamrgn.
5 m. SE. of Cowbridge-173. igj BURTON tythg.
'15) Christ-church par. SW. Hants. 1 m. N. of
^hristchurch 100 ; pop. 582 ; real prop. 30587. B,
House, late T. Hall, Esq. $&* BURTON. See BAR-
TON, I. of Wight, Hants. ^Br RTON tnshp. ( )
Bambrough par. NE. Northmbrld. 5 m. E. of
Belford-322. Pop. 111. <^> BURTON par. (38)
Roosc hund. S. Pembroke. 2 m. N. of Pembroke
-264, near the ferry on Milford haven, contains
Houghton, and has the remains of Benton cast.
commanding a fine view. Pop. 846 + 15 ; poor r.
2267. (Pembr. U.) ; real prop. 22367. ; charities 87.
Living,aflec<.(St. Dav.) val. 2027., patr.Earl Caw-
dor. $iP BURTON hmlt. (20) Stogursey par.
Mid. Somerset. 6 m. NW. of Bridge water- 139.
Pop. 75. ^g BURTON chplry. (61) Much Wen-
lock lib. Mid. Salop, 3 m. SW. of Much Wenlock
-148. Living, a Cur. (Herf.) val. SO/., patr.
Vicar. B. Cottage, . gap" BURTON or BODEX-
TON par. (9) Ro'therbridge hund. Arundel rape,
W. Sussex, 2 m. S. of Betworth-49, on R. Rother,
where elephant bones were found 1740. Acres,
with Barlavington 1710 ; pop. 7 ; poor r. 751.
( Sutton Incorp.) ; real prop. 6107. Living, a Rect.
(Chic.) with Coates val. 1137., patr. G. Wynd-
ham, Esq. B. Park, J. Biddulph, Esq. 1^ BUR-
TON hmlt. ( ) Warcop par. NE. Westmrld. 3 m.
ESE. of Appleby-270, under Rutman fell, be-
longed to the Wyberghs and Hyltons, and was the
birthplace of Bainbridge (d. 1514), Abp. of York
and cardinal, in Hen. VIII. 's time. Pop. in the lead
mines, ijgp BURTON par. ( ) N. Holderness
wap. E. R. York. $ m- SE. of Hornsea-190, is
joined to HORNSEA. igaf BURTON. See BRET-
TON MONK, W. R. York.
P. BURTON AGNES par. ( ) Dickering wap.
E. R. York. 5 m. SW. of Bridlington-206, on Yk.
and N. Midld. rail, contains Gransmoor, Hais-
thorpe, and Thomholm-on-the-Wolds. Acres
6540, of tnshp. 3013; pop. 603 and 322; poor
r. 2137. (Bridlingt. U.) ; real prop. 37827.; cha-
rities 617., of which 211. to Green's school. St.
Martin Vic. (York.) with Harpham val. 8977.,
patr. R. Raikes, Esq. B. House, Sir H. Boyn-
ton, Bt., built by Inigo Jones. gif B. BISHOP.
See BISHOP BURTON, E. R. York. i^P B. BLACK
See BuRTON-iN-LoNSDALE, .ZV. R. York.
P. BURTON BRADSTOCK par. (17) Frampton
lib. W. Dorset. 2 in. SSE. of Bridport-135, where
R. Bredy or Bride falls into the sea. Acres 2260,
cliffy on the coast; pop. 1201 + 14, in the flax
mills ; poor r. 4787. (Bridp. U.) ; real prop. 49897.
charities, 41. St. Mary Rect. (Sal.) with Shepton
George, val. 3367. patr. Lord Rivers. iJiT B.-BY-
LINCOLN par. (83) Lawress wap. W. Lincoln. 2 m.
NNW. of Lincoln-132. Acres 2260 ; pop. 206 +
3 ; poor r. 1327. (Line. U.) ; real prop. 32757. cha-
rities 437. St. Vincent Rect. (Line.) val. 419/.,
patr. Lord Monson, of B. House, who has the
manor. The ' B. hounds ' are kennelled at Reep-
ham. |gp B.-BY-TARVIN tnshp. (80) Tarvin
par. W. Cheshire, 3 m. NW. of Tarporley-178.
Acres 320 ; pop. 79 ; poor r. 167. (Gt. BoughtonU.) ;
real prop. 7637. flip B. CHERRY par. ( ) Hart-
hill wap. E. R. York. 3 m. NW. of Beverley-183.
Acres 3180 ; pop. 455 ; poor r. 1557. (Beverl. U.) ;
real prop. 59727. ; charities 47. St. Michael Rect.
(Yk.) val. 8877., patr. Rev. H. Ramsden. ^ B.
GOGGLES par. (70) Beltisloe wap. SW. Lincoln.
7 m. SE. of Grantham-1 10, on a branch of R.Glen.
Acres 3010 ; pop. 260 + 2 ; poor r. 1407. (Granth.
U.) ; real prop. 32307. charities 357. of which 257.
to Speight's school. St. Thomas & Becket Rect.
(Line.) val. 6647., patr. Ld. Chancellor. ^ B.
Common (43) 4 m. E. of Ross-120, SE. Hereford.
gap" B. CONSTABLE hmlt. ( ) W. Newton tnshp.
E. R. York. 4 m. N. of Hedon-182, has seat of Sir
T. A. C. Constable, Bt. through the Cliffords, a
large ancient mansion on a flat, with two fronts
of 191 and 138ft. anda tower at each corner,many
family pictures and large MS. collections for a
history of the county. Races, Apr. over a level
course in the park, of 1 J m. <JiP B. CONSTABLE
chplry. ( ) Finghall par. N. R. York. 3 m. E. of
Leyburn-235, contains Studdow. Acres 2480;
pop. 252; poor r. 817. (Leyb.U.); real prop. 2743.
B. Hall, close to Leyburn. i^TjB. Court (55) near
Clifton-on-Teme, W. Worcest.
P. BURTON-GUM- WALDEN, or WEST B., tnshp.
( ) Aysgarth par. N. R. York. 5 m. SE. of Ask-
rigg-246, on a branch of R. Ure, abounding with
salmon. Acres 6950; pop. 523; poor r. 2487.
(Bainbridge Incorp.) ; real prop. 43397. charities 97.
BURTON-DASSETT DIVISION (53)Kington hund.
SE. Warwick, contains the pars, of Avon-Dassett,
Burton-Dassett, Fenny Compton, Farnborough,
Prior's Hardwick, Prior's Marston, Ratley, Lowei
Shuckburgh, Warmington, Wormleighton, and
part of Cropredy ; acres 25,860, pop. 4567, houses
948. SiP" B. DASSETT par. as above, 4 m.
E, of Kington-83, contains Little Dassett, North
End, and Knight Cott, and was once a mkt. town.
Acres 5400 ; pop. 614 ; poor r. 3487. (Southam U.) ;
real prop. 71337. ; charities 737. All Saints Vic.
(Worc.)val. 1677., patr. Lord Willoughbyde Broke
and R. W. Blencowe, Esq. i^ B. Farm (81) 1
m. SW. of Bakewell, .ZV. Derby. ^" B. EXTRA
tnshp. (72) par. of Burton-125, E. Stafford. Pop.
1193 + 28; poor r. 2827. (Burton U.) ; real prop.
54697. gif" B.-FLEMING, or NORTH B., par. ( )
Dickering wap. E. R. York. 6 m. NW. of Brid-
lington-206, on the Gipsy Race stream. Acres
3590 ; pop. 506 + 9 ; poor r. 1317. (Bridlingt. U.) ;
real prop. 34157. Living, a Cur. (Yk.) val. 847.,
patr. H. Osbaldestone, Esq. igaf" B. GATE par.
(83) Well wap. W. Lincoln. 4 m. S. of Gains-
borough-148, on R. Trent. Acres 1 160 ; pop.
126 + 2 ; poor r. 667. (Gainsboro* U.) ; real prop.
13587. St. Helen Rect. (Line.) val. 887., patr. W.
Hutton, Esq. of B. Hall. gST B. Green (51) 2 m.
N. of Haverhill, W. Suffolk, fg B.-GRANGE
vil. ( 87) Monk Bretton par. W. R. York. 1 m.
NE. of Barnsley-172. ggp B.-HASTINGS par.
(63) Knightlow hund. NE. Warwick. 4 m. SW.
of Hinckley-99, on Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal and
Watling St. Acres 1910; pop. 276 + 2; poor
r. 1717. (Hinckl. U.) ; real prop. 27597. ; charities
287. St. Botolph Cur. (Wore.) val. 877., patr. H.
Bucknill, Esq. ^ B.-HiGH vil. (88) Kirk-
Burton par. W. R. York. 4 m. SE. of Huddersfield
-189. ^ B. HILL tythg. (34) Malmesbury par.
N. Wilts, near Malme"sbury-94. Pop. 257. (^ B.
Hole (7) 2 m. S. of Barnet, .ZV. Middlesex.
P. M. BURTON-IN-KENDAL par. ( ) S. Lons-
dale hund. N. Lancash. Lonsdale and Kendal
wards, Westmrld. 10 m. NNE. of Lancaster, 252
from London, on Carl. rail, and Kendal canal,
under Farlton Knot is a petty sess. town called
Borton (i. e. borough town) in ' Domesdy.'
containing the curs, of Holme and Preston Patrick
(the site of an abbey, afterwards removed to Shap),
with Dalton and Clawlhorpe, and belonged to the
Middletons. Acres 9170, with blue sulphate of
strontian, and much peat moss, part reclaimed ;
pop.2387 + 35, some flaxdressers, of tnshp. 733 ;
houses 152, with 3 chapels, gram, school (277.)
poor r. 2427. (Kendal U.) ; real prop. 36257. ;
charities 1677. of which Lucas's 1007. St. James
Vic. (Mane.) val 1997. patr. Simeon's Trustees ;
church, ancient, with side chapels and mon. of
Cockin, author of a work on arithmetic, etc.
Preston was an old seat of that fam. Mkt.D. Tues.
Fair, East. Mon. cattle.
P. BURTON JOYCE par. (71) S. Thurgaton
wap. & Notts. 5 m. NE. of Nottingham- 124,
on R. Trent, and N. Midld. rail., contains Bui-
cote, and belonged to the ancient families of
Forz, Joez, Stapleton. Acres 1940, of tnshp.
970; pop. 764+9, and 610, stocking makers on
106 frames ; poor r. 1347. (Basford U.) ; real prop.
26247. ; charities 27. St. Helen Vic. (Line.) val.
145/., patr. Earl of Chesterfield ; church, ancient,
with tombs of the above and other owners of the
P. BuRTON-ix-LoNsr>ALE, or BLACK BURTON,
tnshp. ( ) Thornton-in-Lonsdale par. W. R.
York. 12 m. NW. of Settle-235, on R. Greta.
Acres 1380 ; pop. 629 ; poor r. 3267. (Settle U.) ;
real prop. 35297.
BURTON- KIRK. See KIRK-BURTON, W.R.Yk.
P. BURTON-LATIMER par. (52) Huxloe hund.
Mid. Northmptn. 3 m. SE. of Kettering-74, was
an old seat of the Latimers. Acres 2690 ; pop.
965, some silk manufacturers; poor. r. 5257.
(Kettering U.) ; real prop. 50027. ; charities 1857.
St. Mary Rect. (Pet.) val. 6997., patr. D. Bevan,
Esq. B. Hall, late J. Harper, Esq. ^ B.-
LAZARS par. (64) Framland hund. E. Leicester.
2 m. SE. of Melton-Mowbray-105, has some ex-
cellent mineral waters, for which reason it was
made the site of the chief Lazar or lepers' hos-
pital founded by a collection throughout the
kingdom, but chiefly by the Mowbrays, in
Stephen's time. Acres 2060 ; pop. 262 + 1 ; poor
r. 1087. (M. Mowbray U.) ; real prop. 45887. St.
James Cur. with Melton. $" B.-LEONARDpar.
f ) Lower Claro wap. W. R. York. 4 m. NE. of
Ripley-215. Acres 1760 ; pop. 455, some flax
growers ; poor r. 2347. (Gt. Ouseburn Incorp.) ;
real prop. 25197. ; charities 317, St. Helen Vic.
(Rip.) val. 1407., Dean and Chap. York. gST B.
LONG. See LONGBURTON, Dorset.
BURTON, NORTH. See BURTON FLEMING,
above. $ip"" B.-ON-THE- WOLDS tnshp. (71) Prest-
wold par. N. Leicester. 4 m. ENE. of Loughboro"
-109. Acres 1690; pop. 448 + 3; poor r. 1257.
(Loughb. U.); real prop. 42077.; charities 177.
B. Hall, C. G. Mundy, Esq. ^ B.-OvERY par.
(63) Gartree hund. SE. Leicester. 7 m. SE. of
Leicester-96. Acres 1660, with a mineral spring ;
pop. 449 4 3, emploved on 20 hosiery frames ; poor
r. 3177. (Billesdon U.) ; real prop. 38297. ; charities
237. St. Andrew Rect. (Pet) val. 4977., patr. Rev.
R. Thorp, rector. (3 B.-PEDWARDINE par.
(70) Aswardhurn wap. S. Lincoln. 4 m. SE. of
Sleaford-115, was given by the Conqueror to
Alan de Craon, and afterwards came to the
Pedwardines. Acres 2580 ; pop. 125 + 2 ; poor r.
1027. (Sleaf. U.) ; real prop. 23237. ; charities 47,
St. Andrew Vic. (Line.) val. 3397., patr. H. Hand-
ley, Esq. ; church, in part ancient, with brass of a
woman (1631). ^P B.-PiDSEA, i. e. by sea,
par. ( ) Mid. Holderness wap. E. R. York. 7 m.
X N \V. of Patrington-192, near the coast. Acres
1980; pop. 364; poor r. 1157. (Pairing. U.); real
prop. 49837. St. Peter and Mary Vic. (York.) val.
4 1'/., patr. Dean and Chap. York. ^- B. PYN-
SENT tythg. (18) Curry-Rivell, Drayton, and
Fifehead pars. Mid. Somerset. 2 m. SVV. of Lang-
port- 128, on the downs, commanding a fine pro-
spect, was seat of late earl of Chatham, where Lady
Hester Stanhope lived in her youth. Pop. 43.
Sip B.-ROAD. See BONDARY. gg"* B.-SALMON
tnshp. (87) Monk Frystone par. W. R. York. 2 m.
NK. of Pontefract-177, on N. Midld. rail. Acres
640; pop. 166 + 3; real prop. 13637. " B.-
i I-UN-STATHKR par. (86) N. Manley wap. NW.
Lincoln. 10 m. NW.of Glanford Brigg-155,on the
creek, or staith, at R. Trent's mouth, containing
Coleby, Normanby, and Thealby, is a decayed
inkt. town. Acres" 3860 ; pop. 799+4, of tnshp.
429, in the corn trade ; houses 100 ; poor r. 2367,
( ( ilnnford U.) ; real prop. 50837. St. Andrew Rect.
with Flixborough. Fairs, 1st Mon. May, 1st Mon.
P. M. BURTON-UPON-TRENT par. (72) Repton
hund. Derby. N. Ofliow hund. NE. Stafford.
21 m. E. of Stafford, 122 from London (by Midld.
rail., where N. Stafd. joins), a polling place (for N.
Staf.) on R.Trent, containing Winshill, Branstonej
Burton Extra, Horninglow, and Stretton, and for-
merly noted for its alabaster works, but now for
its ale, was the Byrtune (burgh town) of the
Saxons, and has some remains at the manor-
house of a mitred benedictine abbey, found. 1004,
by Wulfric Spot, 'eorl' of Mercia, made colle-
giate at the dissolution, and given to the Pagets.
Acres 7730; pop. 8136 + 115, of town 4863, ex-
empt from juries, and employed in the ale-brew-
eries, cotton-mills, and a few in the screw and
hardware manufact. ; houses 1035, with 8 chapels,
townhall, and assembly-rooms on the site of the
mkt. house, bank, savings bk. (29,3667. from 1046
depositors), the old prebendal house, another for-
merly the seat of the Everys, Abbot Beane's
gram, school (4617.), AUsop's school (267.) Par-
ker's (547.) and Pawlett's (917.) almsh., old mill
which figures in ' Domesdy.', a venerable bridge
quite as old and 515 yds. long of 37 arches (at one
end of which was the chapel b. by Edw. II. after
defeating the Earl of Lancaster here), and Union
poor-house ; poor r. 16127. on 20,1647. ; real prop.
20,5427; charities 11357. St. Mary and Mod-
wena Vic. (Lich.) val. 1927., patr. Marq. of Angle-
sey,who has the manor, church, b. 1720 on the site
of the abbey church, which was close to Andresey
field, where St. Modwena, an Irish abbess in the
9th century, who is said to have cured Alfred of
a disease by her skill in medicine, found, the church
(of which there are slight traces) in which she
was buried, according to the epitaph in. Camden ;
Christ Church Cur. 2007,, Vicar; Trinity with
Stretton Cur. 7., Marq. of Anglesea. Isaac
Hawkins Browne a poet, was a native (1709-60).
The place was taken several times by both parties
in the civil war, when the manor-house (which
Col. Bagot successfully defended against the par-
liament) and the old church were much battered.
B.-on-Trent P. L. Union, contains the pars. etc.
of Osleston and Thurvaston, with Ash, Bearward-
cote, Bnrnaston, Castle Gresley, Calton, Cauldwell,
Coton, Drakelow, Foston, Hatton, Hilton, Hoon,
Ingleby, Linton, Stanton, Swadlincote, Twyford,
Winshill, in Derb., and Barton- under-Need-
wood. Burton, Burton-Extra, Hanbury, Tatenhill,
Tutbury, Wicknor, with Anslow, Branstone, Dun-
stall, Horninglow (where poor ho. is), and Stret-
ton, in Staf. ; acres 86,738, pop. 28,878, cases re-
lieved (yr. 1846-7) 1762 (out-door 1559), expend.
74227., prop, rated 174,3297, Sup. Registry com-
prises the same up to Osleston and Thurvaston,
with Scropton, in Derb. Oakthorpe and Donis-
thorpe, in Leic. and up to Wicknor in Staf.,
with Draycott-in-the-Clay and Marchington-
Woodlands ; pop. 28,876 + 344. The New County
Court district corresponds with the Registrv, ex-
cept Repton sub-district, which goes to Derby.
Mkt. D. Thurs. Fairs, 5 Feb. 5 Apr. Holy
Thurs. ; 16 July, 29 Oct. and 6 days after, cattle,
BURTON- UPON- URE tnshp. ( ) Masham par.
N. R. York. 1 m. N. of Masham-223, was a seat
of the Albemarles, lords of Holderness. Acres
2920 ; pop. 200 ; poor r. 132i (Leybura U.) ; real
prop. 23147. $3" B., WEST, par. (83) Bassetlaw
wap. NE. Notts. 3m. SW. of Gainsboro'-148, on
R. Trent. Acres 710 ; pop. 35 ; poor r. 27. (Gains-
boro' U.) ; real prop. 24407. ; Charities 37. St.
Helen Cur. (Line.) val. 657., patr. J. Barrow, Esq.
$3" B., WEST, tythg. ('.)) Bury par. W. Sussex,
4 m. N. of Arundel-55. Pop. 201. $3 B., WEST.
See BURTON-CUM-WALDEN, above.
BUBTOSWOOD chplry. (80) Warrington par.
S. Lancash. 4 m. NW. of Warrington-184, near
Liverpool and Mane. rail. Acres 4250 ; pop. 836 ;
poor r. 350Z. (Warringt. U.) ; real prop. 5886/. ,
charities, school 12/. Living, a Cur. (Ches.) val.
96Z., pair. Rector.
BURTONS (7) 3 m. ESE. of Amershain-26, SE.
Burtree House ( ) 3 m. NNW. of Darlington,
Burwalls, i. e. Bury walls (35) 2 m. W. of Bristol,
N. Somerset, on Ashton down, a roman camp or
look-out, near another called Stoneleigh.
BURWARDSLEY chplry. (80) Bunbury par. W.
Cheshire, 4 m. SSE. of Tarporley-178. Acres 1400 ;
pop. 458 + 6 ; poor r. 102Z, (Nantwich U.) ; real
prop. 1507Z. ; charities 41/. St John Cur. (Ches.)
val. 50Z., patr. Trustees.
P. BURWARTON par. (61) Stottesden hund. 5 1 .
Salop, 8 m. SW. of Bridgnorth-139. Acres 1170 ;
pop. 151 + 4 ; poor r. 26Z. (Bridgn. U.) ; real prop.
3426Z. St. Lawrence Rect. (Heref.) val. 128Z., patr.
Rev. J. Churton, rector. B. Hall, Visct. Boyne.
P. BURWASH par. (9) Hawkesborough Hen-
hurst and Shoyswell hunds. Hastings rape, E.
Sussex, 7 m. NW. of Battle-56, is a petty sess.
town. Acres 6840, part in hops ; pop.2093 + 13 ;
poor r. 1213Z. (Ticehurst U.) ; real prop. 7949Z. ;
charities 40Z. St. Bartholomew Rect. and Vic.
(Chic.) val. 699/., patr. Rev. J. Gould, rector ;
church, early and later eng.
P. BURWELL par. (51) Staploe hund. SE. Cam-
bridge. 4m. NW. of Newmarket-61, containing
Reach, which was once a mkt. town, has traces
of a castle supposed to be older than the Con-
quest. Acres 6505, of which about half are fen,
with chalk, traversed by B. Lode running to R.
Cam; pop. 1820 + 12, growing excellent seed
corn ; houses in a long straggling street ; poor r.
1072Z. (Newmkt. U.) ; real prop. 8747Z.; chari-
ties, church and town estate 152Z., and 188 acres
poor's fen. St. Mary Vic. (Ely) val. 335Z., patr.
Camb.University ; church, a beautiful specimen of
decorated eng. of 15th cent, with pinnacled tower,
fine chancel arch, oak roof, brasses of an abbot
and a canon (1500-50), etc. St Andrew's church,
which stood here, has been removed. B. Broads,
2 m. N. In 1727, 78 persons were accidently burnt
to death in a barn. Fair, Rogation Mon. at Reach,
BURWELL, par. (84) South-Eske hund. E. Lin-
coln. 5m. SSE. of Louth-143, has remains of an
alien priory found, by Jno. de Hay (ancestor of
the Umfravilles) as a cell to St. Mary's, Bordeaux.
Acres 2190 ; pop. 174 ; poor r. 681 (Louth U.) ;
real prop. 2457Z. St. Michael Vic. (Line.) val.
with Walmsgate 51/., patr. Lord of the manor,
M. B. Lister, Esq. of B. Park, where Sarah Jen-
nings, duchess of Marlboro', was born (1660-1744).
P. BURWICK vil. S. Ronaldsay, S.Orkney Islds.
at the ferry to Huna, which is 7 m. across.
Burwood House (8) near Cobham, N. Surrey,
late Adml. Sir T. Williams, Bt. rgP B. Park, near
Oatlands, N. Surrey, Sir J. Frederick, Bt. for-
merly of the Lattons, has a fine orangery.
BURY (46) 6 m. NNW. of Luton-31, 5. Beds.
I^T Bury (11) close to Hambledon, E. Hants.
Sg BURY (46) 2 m. ENE. of Hitchin-34, N.
Herts. ^ BURY vil. (46) 4 m. SW. of Bunting-
ford-31, N. Htrls. |gT Bury (46) near Hemel
Hempstead, W. Herts. M. Wiggins, Esq., includes
?art of the old seat where J. Waterhouse received
len. VIII. ^Sf Bury (7) near Rickmansworth,
S W. Herts. H. Grover, Esq. $3" BURY vil. (46)
1 m. NE. of Stevenage, N. Herts.
P. BITRY par. (64) Hurstingstone hund. NE.
Hunts, i m. SE. of Ramsey-69. on a branch of R.
Nen, near a bury or barrow, belonged to Ramsey
abbey, and came to the Williamses, Bainbridges,
and thence to the Barnards. Acres 2480 ; pop.