Copyright
James A Sharp.

A new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) online

. (page 88 of 293)
Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 88 of 293)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Baptist Cur. (Norw.) val. with Capel 135Z., patr.
Trustees of P. J. Thellusson, Esq. who held the
manor. Part of the abbey gateway has been fitted
up as a house.

BUTSASII hmlt. (11) Fawley par. S. Hants. 5
m. W. of Fareham-73.

BUTSFIELD tnshp. ( ) Lanchester par. 2V.
Durham, 5 m. NNE. of Wolsingham-256, near
the roman Glannibanta, on Watling St. Acres
1390, lately inclosed and cultivated ; pop. 252 ;
real prop. 2533Z. B. Abbey, 1 m. SW.

Butt Hall (63) 3 m. NW. of Ashby-de-la-
Zouch, S. Derby. Shirley, Esq.

Butt of Lewis, N. end of Lewis isld. Western
Islds. in lat. 58 29' N., long. 6 12' W. The people
here, though gaelic speaking, are of danish origin.
BUTTEU BUMP hmlt. (84) Willoughby par. E.
Lincoln. 3 m. S. of Alford-138. Pop. 3. ^" B.-
CRAMBE tnshp. ( ) Bossall par. N. R. York.
9 m. NE. of York-199, on R. Derwent, under
Aldby Park camp, the roman Derventio. Acres
1550 ; pop. 175 ; poor r. 70Z, (Yk. U.) ; real prop.
33997. Living, a Cur. with Bossall. UgT B.-
ELKELD (98) 8 m. NE. of Ravenglass-229, S.
Cumbrld.

Butterby ( ) 3 m. SSE. of Durham, Mid.
Durham, on R. Wear, belonged to the Lumleys
and Chaytors, under the name of Beautrove.
Salt and other springs exist here.

BUTTERDEAN vil. Oldhamstocks par. N, Ber-
wick, near Grant's Inn.

Butterford (24) near Modbury, S. Devon. W.
H. Kingwill, Esq. formerly of the Prestwoods
and Strodes.

BUTTERGASK vil. Dumblane par. S. Perth. 8 m.
S. of Crieff-47. Pop. 65.

BUTTERLAW tnshp. ( ) Newburn par. SE.
Northmbrld. 5 m. W. of Newcastle-on-Tyne-275.
Pop. 16.

BUTTERLEIGH par. (21) Cliston hund. E. Devon.
3 m. SSE. of Tiverton-165. Acres 2520; pop.
155 + 1; poor r. 114/. (Tivert. U.) ; real prop.
929Z. Living, a Rect. (Exet.) val. 170Z., patr.
Ld. Chancellor.

P. BUTTERLEY (82) 5 m. NW. of Alfreton
-139, Mid. Derby.

Butterley Iron Works (71) 2 m. S. of Alfreton,
Mid. Derby, in the centre of a mineral and coal
district, were established 1792, on a very large
scale, and employ 1500 men. Railways run to
R. Derwent, where the Cromford canal begins.
B. Hall, W. Jessop, Esq.

BUTTERLEY par. (55) Wolphy hund. NE.
Hereford. 3 m. NE. of Bromyard-125, is joined
to EDWIN-RALPH.

BUTTERMERE ehplry. ( ) Brigham par. S.
Cumbrld. 9 m. SSE. of Cockermo'^306, in the
valley between B. Lake and Crummock Water,
near Scale Force or fall of nearly 200 ft. Acres
3480 ; pop. 84, some in the blue slate quarries ;

Ewr r. 78Z. (Cockermo' U.) ; real prop. 1065Z.
iving, a Cur. (Ches.) val. 56Z., patr. Earl of
Lonsdale ; church, ancient, holds about 40 per-
sons. The lake, in a deep hollow bordered by the



Hay Stacks, High Crag, Red Pike and other

peaks, is 1J m. long, J m. broad, with abundance

of char, and is principally fed by a stream which

follows the road from Borrowdale through the

wild pass of Gates Garthdale under Honiston

Crag. igp BUTTERMERE par. (12) Kinward-

stone hund. E. Wilts. 4 m. S. of Hungerford-64.

Acres 1340 ; pop. 130 ; poor r. 75Z. (Hungerf. U.) ;

real prop. 771Z. St. James Rect. (Sal.) val. 229Z.,

patr. Bp. of Winchester.

Buttermilk Hall (45) 4 m. NW. of Thame, W.

Bucks. gg B. Hall (46) 3 m. SSE. of Winslow,

Mid. Bucks.
BUTTERSHAW chplry. ( ) Bradford par. W.

R. York, near Bradtbrd-196. St. John Cur. (Rip.)

val. 200Z., patr. Bishop.
Butterston Loch, 3 m. NE. of Dunkeld, E.

Perth.
BUTTERTHWAITE hmlt. ( ) Ecclesfield tnshp.

W. R. York. 5 m. N. of Sheffield-162.
BUTTERTON chplry. (81) Mayfield par. N.

Stafford. 6 m. E. of Leek-154. Acres 1940 ; pop.

388 + 4 ; poor r. 96Z. (Alstonefield Incorp.) ; real
prop. 4013Z. ; charities 37Z. of which Mellor's for
education 17Z. Living, a Cur. (Lich.) val. 90Z.,
patr. Vicar.
BUTTERTON tnshp. (73) Trentham par. N. W.

Stafford. 2 m. S. of Newcastle-under-Lyme-150,
contains Millstone Green. Acres 470 ; pop. 56

+ 2. Living, a Cur. (Lich.) val. Z., patr. Sir
W. and Lady Pilkington, of B. Hall, thro' the
Swinnertons.

Butterton Hill (25) 4 m. N. of Modbury, S.
Devon.

Butterwell (30) 4 m. NE. of Camelford, NE.
Cornwall.

BUTTERWICK tnshp. ( ) Sedgefield par. SE.
Durham, 8 m. NNW. of Stockton-242, near R.
Skern. Acres 1010; pop. 51; poor r. 26Z. (Sedgef.
U.) ; real prop. 976Z.

P. BUTTERWICK par. (69) Skirbeek wap. SE.
Lincoln. 4 m. E. of Boston-113, near the coast.
Acres 1370; pop. 579 + 7; poor r. 125Z. (Boston
U.) ; real prop. 4477Z. ; charities 357Z., of which
248Z. to free school. St. Andrew Vic. with Frie-
ston.

P. &. BUTTEVANT, or BOTHAM, par. (16-7, 24
-5) Orrery bar. N. Cork, 27 m. NW. of Cork, 37
from Dublin (by Gt. S. and West, rail.), a police
and sessions station, formerly a mkt. town, on
R. Awbeg Spencer's "gentle Mulla" has the
fine remains of a priory found. 1290, by the
Barrys, Earls of Barrymore, who held the manor
(now belonging to Lord Doneraile), and whose
war cry ' Boutez en avant' (Put forward) in a
fight with the M'Carthys, gave it this name.
Acres 11,583, good land; pop. 15042, of town
1524 ; houses 231, with chapel, large barracks,

:ourthouse, fever hospital, dispensary, free school.
Living, a Cur. (Ck. R. C.) with 4 others, val.
114Z., patr. Bishop. The Barrys took the title of
visct. from this place, a title now dormant. B.
Castle, Sir J. C. Anderson, Bt. was originally a
part of the old fortifications ; and the abbey has
,he graves of those who fell 1647 at Knockni-
noss> when Sir Alex. M'Donnell (the ' Colkitto '
of Milton's sonnet^- and ' Ollistrum more,' i.e.
' Alexander the Great,' of Irish story) was killed.
There are remains of two castles, and E. is Kil-
coleman castle where Spencer, who calls this
place Kilnemullagh, wrote the best part of his
"Faerie Queene." Fairs, 27 Mar. 20 July, 14
Oct. 20 Nov. cattle.

BUTTERWICK hmlt. ( ) Bampton par. 2V.
Westmrld. 7 m. S. of Penrith-283. ^ BUTTER-
WICK chplry. ( ) Foxholes par. E. R. York.



BUT

9 m. 3ST. of Driffield-196. Acres 1540 ; pop. 100 ;
poor r. 867. (Driffield U.); real prop. 12567.
Living, a Cur. (Yk.) val. 471., patr. Rector.
^T BUTTERWICK tnshp. ( ) Barton-le-Street
par. N. R. York. 4 m. NW. of New Malton-217,
on R. Rye. Acres 500 ; pop. 64 ; poor r. 137.
(Maltontl); real prop. 15627.

BUTTERWICK, EAST, tnshp. (86) Bottesford
and Messingham pars. NW. Lincoln. 3 m. NE.
of Epworth-156, on R. Trent, opposite the follow-
ing. Acres 680 ; pop. 378 + 15 ; poor r. 807.
(Glanford U.) ; real prop. 1781?. fg B., WEST,
chplry. (86) with Kelfield, Ouston par. NW.



BWL



313



Vicar of Owston.

BUTTERWORTH tnshp. (88) Rochdale par. SE.
Lancash. 3 m. SE. of Rochdale-198. Pop. 5088,
in the cotton and woollen mills ; houses 936 ;
poor r. 1337/. (Rochdale U.) ; real prop. 18,3767.
of which 18477. on mines ; charities 1237. of which
917. to Milnrow school.

BUTTINGILL, HUNDRED (9) Lewes rape,
Mul. Sussex, contains the pars, of Ardingly, Bal-
combe, Bolney, Clayton, Crawley, Cuckfield,
West Hoathly, Hurst- Perpoint, Keymer, Slang-
ham, Twineham, and Worth ; acres 58,210, pop.
16,287, houses 2662.

BUTTINGTOX, or TAL-Y-BoxT, par. (60) Pool
boro', E. Montgomery. 2 m. NE. of Welshpool
-171, at the border, on R. Severn and Offa's dyke,
containing Cletterwood, Hope, Trewern, under
Rodney's pillar on Breidden hills, is the saxon
Buttingdun or Butdigingtun, the site of a battle
897, when the Saxons defeated the Danes. Pop.
826 + 71; poor r. I. ; real prop. 7. Living,
a Cur. (Heref.) val. 1077., patr. Vicar of Welsh-
pool ; church, early eng. Remains of a camp, etc.
are found on the hills around. B. Hall, 1 m.
NE. ; B. Cross, 1 m. NW.

BUTTOLPH'S, or BOTOLPH'S, par. (9) Steyning
hund. Bramber rape, S. Sussex, 1 m. SSE. of
Steyning-50, on R. Adur. Acres 910 ; pop. 48 ;
poor r. 97. (Steyn. D.) ; real prop. 9677. Living,
a Vic. with Bramber.

BUTTON BRIDGE (55) 4 m. NW. of Bewdley
-129, SE. Salop. ^ B.-HiLL hmlt. ( ) Ec-
clesall-Bierlow tnshp. W. R. York. 4 m. SW. of
Sheffield-162.

Buttonshaw Farm (13) 4 m. SE. of Illsley, Mid.
Berks.

BUTTSBURY par. (1) Chelmsford hund. Mid.
Essex, 6 m. SSW. of Chelmsford-29, on R. Wid.
Acres 1440 ; pop. 521 + 1 ; poor r. 3467. (Chelmsf.
U.) ; charities 31. St. Mary Cur. with Ingatestone.

Buturich Castle, 6 m. N. of Dumbarton, Mid.
Dumbrtn. a ruin on Loch Lomond.

Buxey Sand, at the mouth of R. Crouch,
E Essex, is a part of the Maplin, 5 m. long,
\V of the E. Swin or King's Channel, in the
Thames.

BUXHALL par. (53) Stow hund. Mid. Suffolk, 3
m. W. of Stowmarket-76, on R. Gipping. Acres
2120 ; pop. 533 + 7, in the corn trade ; poor r. 2897.
(Stow U.); real prop. 40997. St. Mary Rect.
(Norw.) val. 578/., patr. C. Hill, Esq. B. House .

Buxihall (5, of 9) 3 m. NE. of Cuckfield, Mid.
Sussex, G. Jolland, Esq.

BUXLOW (50) Knodishall par. E. Suffolk,
2 m. SE. of Saxmundham-89. St. Peter' Cur.
with KnOddishall ; church desecrated.

P. BUXTED par. (5) Loxfield-Dorset hund.
Pevensey rape, Mid. Sussex, 9 m. NE. of Lewes
-50, on R. Ouse. Acres 7020 ; pop. 1574, part in
hops; poor r. 7367. (Uckfield U.); real prop.



76217. ; charities 1447., with a share in Rotherfield
school. St. Margaret Rect. (Chic.) val. 4037.
patr. Archbp. sometime held by Wotton the
linguist, and author of " Review of Ancient and
Modern Learning," also by the Clarkes, grand-
father and father of the traveller ; church early
eng., has three brasses (B. Avenel, a priest 1370,
etc.). B. Place, Earl of Liverpool. Isnardia
palustris is found in a pool here.

P. M. BUXTON, or BUCKSTONE, chplry. (81)
Bakewell par. NW. Derby, a polling place 30 m.
NW. of Derby, 160 from London, belonging to
the Honour of Tutbury, on a healthy spot (more
than 900 ft. above the sea), in a hollow of the
moorlands, near R. Wye's head and High Peak
rail., was known to the Romans, who had baths
here, and laid roads from Bathom gate to Brough
and Manchester, for its mineral waters, which
with St. Anne's image, made it a favourite resort
before the Reformation. Acres 540, limestone
with barytes, etc. ; pop. 1569 + 35, makers of Der-
byshire spar ornaments and lime burners ; houses
233, with 3 chapels, mkt. crosses in the upper
town, free school (947., once a chapel), the noble
crescent of gritstone (a curve of 200ft. with
wings of 58ft., and 378 windows in it), built
1779-86 by Carr for the Duke of Devonshire, at
a cost of 120,0007., including the great and other
hotels, ballroom, lodging-houses, and also the
stables or riding gallery (180 ft. diam.) behind,
for wet weather bank, library, promenade, ar-
cade of 280 yds. in the Square, repository, spar
shops, waterworks in mkt. place, tepid baths, new
hot baths (b. 1818 by Sylvester) St. Anne's
well (called a ' wonder ' of the Peak, because hot
and cold springs come up only a foot apart) near
the remains of the roman bath (30 ft. by 15) in
the crescent, adjoining the Hall (now a hotel),
which belonged to the _Earl of Shrewsbury, when
Mary Q. of Scots took the waters in his custody ;
poor r. 1857. on 59597. (Chapel U.); real prop.
59347. ; charities, the Bath subscription charity for
poor invalids. Living, a Cur. (Lich.) val. 1057.,
patr. Duke of Devonsh. The new church b. 1812,
is at Fairfield. The springs which are saline and
sulphureous and charged with nitrogen, throw up
about 60 gallons per minute, at 82 temp., and are
useful in skin and nervous complaints, indiges-
tion, gout, and rheumatism. It publishes the 'B.
Herald.' Part of a roman wall near St. Anne's
well was taken down 1709, coins of Constantine
have been found, and some of Mary's furniture is
kept at the Hall, which the earl of Devonsh.
mostly reb. 1670. St. Anne's cliff", which had a
barrow on it, close to the crescent, commands a
good view. In the neighbourhood, which is be-
ginning to be planted, are the racecourse, Cot-
tage of Content, serpentine walks on the river,
the Lover's leap (along the Duke's ride) in Ash-
wood dale, Coombe Moss camp, Staincliffe barrow,
Poole's hole or cavern, Diamond hill where crys-
tals are found, the Marvel stone, Chee Tor along
the Wye, and Axedge (2000 ft. high) at the head
of the Dove. Mkt. D. Sat. Fairs, 3 Feb. 1 Apr.
2 May, 8 Sept. cattle. Races, June.

P. BUXTON par. (66) S. Erpingham hund. NE.
Norfolk, 4 m. SE. of Aylsham-118, on R. Bnre,
where urns and other roman remains have been
found. Acres 1460 ; pop. 713 + 10 ; poor r. 3097.
f Aylsh. U.) ; real prop. 33747. ; charities 168Z. St.
Andrew Vic. with Skeyton.

Buzbury Camp (15) 2 m. SE. of Blandford, E.
Dorset.

Bwlch, (42) i. e. a pass, in the vale of Usk, B.
Brecon, 3 m. NW. of Crickhowell, on the Breck-
nock road, commanding a fine view. <iP B.



314



ETC



Agricla (79) a pass near Llanarmon, Mid. Den-
bigh. 3 m. E. of Ruthin, supposed to have been
traversed by Agricola on his way to Anglesea.
SS" B. CITANHILLT (56) 7 m. NW. of Builth
-173, N. Brecon. ^ B. COEDEG hmlt. (60)

1 m. ENE. of Dinas Mowddy-200. E. Merioneth,
^ B. CrycMl (56) 8 m. NE. of Rhayadergwy,
2V. Radnor. ^ B.-gwyn (56) 9 m. NW. of
Knighton, 2V. Radnor. fig" B. TREWYK hmlt.
( 42) Cwmyoy par. S W. Hereford. 5 m. N. of
Abergavenny-141, on R. Monnow. Acres 650 ;
pop. 871 ; poor r. 27Z. (Abergav. U.), real prop.
629/. j&'B. Rhiwgur (75) near Corsygedol, W.
Merioneth. giP B. Tyddiad (78) near Rhinog
Fawr, W. Merion. SiP B.-Y-CERNAN bmlt.
(56) 6 m. NNE. of Rhayadergwy, N. Radnor.
^p B.-T-CLATT hmlt. (60) 3 m. NW. of
Llanidloes-188, S. Montgmry. ^f B.-y-Croes
i. e. of the Cross (74) 8 m. S. of Bala, a fine pass
on Merion. and Montgmy. border. SiP B.-y-
Ddwyfaen (78) near Aber, N.Carnrvn. $&" B.-
y-Fedwen (60) 11 m. WNW. of Llanfair, W.
Montgmry. a bleak spot at R. Banw's head, on
road to Dinas Mowddwy. H3T B.-Y-FRYDD hmlt.
(60) 3m. NW. of Newton-175, E. Montgmry.
$gi B.-T-GYFNYNG hmlt. (59) 6 m. NE. of
Towyn-217, 8. Merioneth.

Bychnacre Priory. See BICKNACRE, Essex.

BYALL FEN ext. par. (65) 7 m. NW. of Ely,
Mid. Cambridge.

Byana, now a farmhouse near Eccleshall, NW.
Stafford, was an old seat of the Bosviles.

BYCHTON tnshp. (79) Whitford par. N.E. Flint.

2 m. NW. of Holywell-200, seat of D. Pennant,
Esq. Pop. 676 ; real prop. 915Z.

BYER'S GREEN tnshp. ( ) St. Andrew Auck-
land par. Mid. Durham, 3 m. NNE. of Bishop's
Auckland-248, on Clarence rail. Acres 790 ; pop.
489 + 28; poor r. 86Z. (Auckl. U.); real prop.
1905/. Living, a Cur. (Durh.) val. I., patr.
Bishop.

Byferestan of the Saxons, isBEVERSTONE, Glouc.

P. BYFIELD par. (53) Chipping Warden hund.
SW. Northmptn. 7 m. SW. of Daventry-72, a
meet for Drake's hounds. Acres 2760 ; pop.
1079 + 12 ; poor r. 459/. (Davent. U.) ; real prop.
6752Z. , charities 79Z. Holy Cross Rect. (Pet.) val.
917J., patr. Chr. Ch. Coll. Oxon.

P. BYFLEET par. (8) First Godley hund. 2V.
Surrey, 4m. SSE. of Chertsey-21, on R. Wey and
Junction canal, near Silvermere. Acres 2060 ;
pop. 672 + 16 ; poor r. 2751. (Cherts. U.) ; real
prop. 4334Z. ; charities 23/. St. Mary Beet. (Wine.)
val. 187Z., patr. Ld. Chancellor, sometime held
by Ste.ph. Duck, originally a day labourer ; church,
has brass of T. Taylor, a priest (1480). B. Park,
now a farmhouse so called, is said to have been
built by the Black Prince.

BYFORD par. (43) Grimsworth hund. Mid. He-
reford. 5 m. S. of Weobley-145, at the ferry across
R. Wye. Acres 910 ; pop. 236 + 5 ; poor r. 123/.
(Weob. U.) ; real prop. 1570J. ; charities 57. St J.
Baptist Rect. (Heref.) val. 1957., patr. Ld. Chan-
cellor.

Bygate hatt ( ) 13 m. NW. of Rothbury, W.
Northmbrld.

BYGRAVE par. (46) Odsey hund. NE. Herts.
2 m. NE. of Baldock-37, near Icknield Way. Acres
1860; pop. 144+1; poor r. 75/. (Hitchin U.)
real prop. 2208/. Living a Rect. (Roch.) val. 377/.,
patr. Marquis of Salisbury.

BYKER tnshp. ( ) All Saints par. SE. North-
mbrld. 2 m. E. or Newcastle-on-Tyne-275, near
the Wall, on R. Tyne, belongs to the Lawsons.
Pop. 6040 + 84 in the glass-houses, potteries,
stone quarries and collieries ; poor r. 1242/. ;



BYT

(Newcast. U.) Living, a Cur. (Durh.) val. 130/.,
patr. Crown and Bishop.

21. BYLAND ABBEY tnshp. ( ) Coxwold par.
2V. R. York. 6 m SW. of Helmsley-222, has the
S. transept with its wheel and long slender early
eng. windows, and other remains, of the cistertian
abbey, found. 1177 by the Mowbrays, and be-
longing to the Stapletons of My ton. Acres 3130 ;
pop. 97 ; poor r. 25Z. (Helms. U ) ; real prop.
3414/. iS3 B., OLD, par. ( ) Birdforth wap.
2V. R. York. 5 m. N. of the above, near R. Rye.
Acres 3120, pop. 185 + 2 ; poor r. 57/. ; real prop.
1721/. Living, a don. Cur. (Yk.) val. 557. patr. G.
Wombwell, Esq.

BY LAUGH par. (66) Eynsford hund. Mid. Nor-
folk, 4 m. S. of Foulsham-111, on R. Wensum.
Acres 1580 ; pop. 85 ; poor r. 181Z. (Mitford U.) ;
real prop. 988Z. St. Mary Cur. (Norw.) val. 75/.,
patr. E. Lombe, Esq. ; church ancient.

BYLETTS (55) m. W. of Pembridge-148, NW.
Hereford.

BYLEY-CUM-YATEHOUSE tnshp. (80) Middle-
wich par. Mid. Cheshire, 2 m. N. of Middlewich
-169, near Trunk canal. Acres 820 ; pop. 149 + 2 ;
poor r. 51Z. (North wich U.); real prop. 1655/.
Living, a Cur. (Ches.) with Lees, val. 40/., patr.
Vicar.

Bynham Point (10) near Dunnose, SE. I. of
Wight, -S. Hants.

BYNWESTON tnshp. (60) Worthen par. W. Sa-
lop, 7 m. NE. of Montgomery-168. Pop. 91.

Byre Burn, runs through Canobie par. E. Dum-
fries, to R. Esk, near a colliery.

Byrecleugh, 10 m. WNW. of Dunse, NW. Berw.

Byres, 3 m. NNW. of Haddington, TV. Hadngtn.
earl of Hopetoun, gives title of baron to the earl
of Haddington, to whom and the Lindsays it be-
longed.

Byrewalls, 3 m. SW. of Greenlaw, SW. Berwick.

Byrkleyhouse (72) 5 m. SW. of Tutbury, E. Staf-
ford. Mrs. Sneyd.

BYRNESS, or BURNESS, chplry ( ) Elsdon par.
W. Northmbrld. 11 m. NNW. of Bellingham-294,
on R.Reed. Living, a Cur. (Durh.) val. 75/., patr.
Rector.

BYROBIE, or BYRAM, tnshp. (86) with Pool,
Brotherton par. W. R. York. 4 m. NE. of Ponte-
fract-177, on R. Aire. Acres 850 ; pop. 79 ; poor
r. 21Z. (Gt. Preston Incorp.); real prop. 882Z.
B. Hall, Sir J. W. Ramsden, Bt.

Byrtune of the Saxons, is BURTON-ON-TRENT,
Stafford.

tiysiCH parcel (42) Llan-bedr par. SE. Brecon.
2 m. NE. of Crickhowell-157. Pop. 150.

Bysshecourt (8) 7 m. SE. of Reigate, SE.
Surrey, Rhodes, Esq. near the site of the old
manor house, which was moated.

BYSTHOTTLES tnshp. ( ) Brancepeth par.
Mid. Durham, 3 m. SW. Durham-258. is joined
to BRANDON.

BYSTOCK hmlt. (22) Colyton-Rawleigh par.
E. Devon. 2 m. W. of Sidmouth-158. B. House,
E. Divett, Esq.

P. BYTH, NEW, q. . par. in King Edward p.ir.
NE. Aberdeen. 13 m. SW. of Fraserburgh-152.
Pop. 1369. Living (Presb. Turriff) val. I,
patr. Christian Knowledge Soc. and Congregation.
B. House, B. C. Urquhart, Esq. Fairs, 1st Th.
Apr. 4th Tu. May o. $., Weds. aft. 5 June and
26 Oct. Fr. aft. 21 Nov.

BYTHAM CASTLE par. (64) Bettisloe hund.
S W. Lincoln. 7m. WSW. of Bourn-97, on R. Glen,
containing Counthorpe, Holywell and Aunby, had
a castle, given to Odo earl of Albemarle (who had
married the Conqueror's sister), to enable them to
feed their son Stephen with " wheaten bread,"



BYT

and burnt by Edw. III., but rebuilt by the Col-
villes. Acres 7760 ; pop. 855 + 7 ; poor r. 2781.
(Bourn U.) ; real prop. 3867L ; charities 45/. of
which 401. to school. St. James Vic. with Little
B. $aT B. LIITLE par. as above, 1 m. E. Acres
1010; pop. 311-i- 8; poor r. 105/. ; real prop.
1490/. ; charities, church estate IGL St. MedarTlus
Rect. (Line.) val. with Castle B. 610/., patr.
Bishop, Dean and Chap.

BYTHORN par. (52) Leightonstone hund. W.
Hunts. 5 m. NNW. of Kimbolton-63. Acres
1510 ; pop. 322 + 1 ; poor r. 167/. (Thrapston U.) ;
real prop. 2072Z. ; charities 16/. St. Lawrence
Cur. with Brington.

BYTON par. (55-6) Wigmore hund. NW. Here-
ford. 4 m. E. of Presteign-151. Acres 1030 ; pop.
172 + 2 ; poor r. SSI. (Prest. U.) ; real prop. 943Z. ;
charities 9L St. Mary Rect. (Heref.) val. lloi,
patr. Ld. Chancellor.

B\-VVEI J L-ST. ANDREW'S par. ( ) E. Tindale
ward, SE. Northmbrld. llm. W. of Newcastle-
on-Tyne-275, on Carlisle rail, near E. Tyne, con-
tains part of the town, which was the head of a
barony, forfeited by the Nevilles 1571, and bought
by the Fen wicks, with Bearl, Broomhaugh,
Riding, Stocksfield-Hall, and Styford. Acres 3680 ;
pop. 452 + 2, of town 182, formerly craftsmen to
the borderers ; poor r. 14Z. (Hexham U.) ; real
prop. 5036*. St. Andrew Vic. (Durh.) val. 159/.,
patr. W. B. Beaumont, Esq. of B. Hall, built by
the Fenwicks on the river, close to which the two
churches, the remains of a castle and of a chapel, and
the new bridge (which cost 15,OOOJ.) are grouped
together. ^f B.-ST. PETER'S, par. as above,
1 m. NW. on R. Tyne, contains E. Acomb, Ap-
perley, Broomley, Bywell (part), Espershields.
High Fotherlev/Healey, Newton, Newton-Hall,
Newlands, Stalling, and Whittonstall Cur. Acres
21,780 ; pop. 1512 + 4 ; poor r. 51/. (Hexham U.) ;
real prop. 95891. ; charities 6Z. St. Peter Vic.
(Durh.) val. 119/., patr. Dean and Chap.

BYWORTH hmlt. (9) Petworth par. W. Sussex,
1 m. E. of Petworth-49.



c.



Caaf Water runs into R. Garnock, N.Ayr, be-
low Dairy, over a fall of 40 ft.

Cabaha (56) 2 m. N. of Hay, SE. Radnor, on
R. Wye, W. Davies, Esq.

CABAS tnshp. ( ) Garstang par. N. Lancash.
2 m. N. of Garstang-229, near Lane, and Prest.
canal and rail. Acres 1220 ; pop. 253 ; poor r.
112/. (Garst U.); real prop. 187R

Caberstone, a beacon hill, Peebles, on R. Tweed,
gave title of baron to the Traquairs.

CABILLO vil. ( ) Garth parcel, S W. Brecon.
8 m. N. of Neath-198. Pop. 10.

Cabin Hill (5) 4 m. E. of Belfast, N. Down.

P. CABINTEEL.T vil. (26) Rathdown bar. S.Dub-
lin, a police station, 8 m. SE. of Dublin. Pop. 333.
C. House, Miss Byrne, commanding a fine view.
A cromlech of 7 stones stands in Glen Druid.

Cable, or Capel, Isld. (78) 5 m. S. of Youghal,
E. Cork, S. side of Y. Bay, where the Capels
landed under Strongbow.

CABOURN par. (86) Bradley Haverstoe wap.
N. Lincoln. 2 in. ENE. of Caistor-153. Acres
2860 ; pop. 166 ; poor r. 83/. (Caist. U.) ; real prop.
2980/. St. Nicholas Vic. (Line.) val. 150/., patr.
Earl of Yarborough.

Cobra House ( ) near Rathfriland, 5. Down.
A. M'Mullen, Esq. O" C. Castle (35) near
Kin^scourt, E. Cavan, Col. Pratt; near it are C.
Glen and C. Cottage.



CAD



315



CABRACK par. Alford distr. Aberdeen, and
Banff. 12 m. SW. of Huntly-149, on R. Doveran,
under Buck of C. mountn. (2376 ft. high). Size
5 m. by 3, mountain pasture, with lime, slate,
game ; pop. 827, decreasing ; real prop. 835Z. ; for
poor 90/. Living (Presb. Alford) val. 158/., patr.
Duke of Richmond, chief heritor.

Cabragh Castle (47) near Littleton, Mid. Tip-
perary.

P. Cabragh House (18) near Dublin, 8. Dublin.

CABRAGHKEEL hmlt. (10) Tireragh bar. W.
Sliao, 4 m. SW. of Easky-147.

CARUS tnshp. ( ) Garstang par. N. Lancash.
2 m. N. of Garstang-22g, near Lancr. and Prest.
rail. Acres 1220 ; pop. 253 ; poor r. 112/. (Garst.
U.) ; real prop. 1871/.

CADAMSTOWN par. (34) Carbury bar. N. Kil-
dare, 12 m. N. of Robertstown-29. Acres 5033 ;
pop. 998. Living, a Vic. with Castle Carbury.
Balyna House, Rt. Hon. R. M. O'Ferrall, Esq.
$&* CADAMSTOWN (32) 3 m. NE. of Kinnetty, 8.
King's Co. D. Manifold, Esq.

Cadboll Castle, 7 m. E. of Tain, NE. Ross. R.
M'Leod, Esq., near Loughlin cast., has a few
vaults left, and though it was inhabited for ages
they say no person ever died in it.

CADBOROUGH (5) 1 m. W. of Rye, E. Sussex.

P. CADBURY par. (22) Hayridge'hund. NE.De-
von. 5 m. SW. of Tiverton-165, near C. Castle camp,
on the Rumansleigh Ridgeway, where roman
coins have been found. Acres 2620 ; pop. 251 ;
poor r. 144Z. (Tivert. U.); real prop. 2588A ;
charities 21. St. Michael Vic. (Exet) val.
163/., patr. Lord Chancellor. ^ C. Castle,
near Tickenham, N. Somerset, and Barrow court,
an oval camp with a double rampart.

P. CADBtJRY,NoRTH,par. (18) Catash hund. SI?.
Somerset. 4m.WSW. of Wincanton-109, contains
Galhampton and Woolston. Acres 2630, rich and
fertile ; pop. 10751. ; poor r. 448J. (Wincant. U.) ;
real prop. 4966 St. Michael Rect. (Ba. and W.)
val. 700/., patr. Eman. Coll. Camb. ; church, large
and later eng., b. 1427 by the Botreauxes, who
intended to make it collegiate, and has a tomb of
the Hastings' fam. who had the manor through the
Hungerfords and Courtneys. C. Manor House, b.
1581. O C. SOUTH par. as above. 1 m. S. under
Camalet camp, which is cut out of the blue lias,
and commands a fine view. Acres 800 ; pop. 254
+ 2 ; poor r. 87/. ; real prop. 1422/. St. Thorn, a
Becket Rect. (Br. and W.) val I., patr. J. Ben-
nett, Esq. of C. House.

Caddagh House (18) Cremorne bar. Mid. Mo-
naglian, in Ballybay.

GADDER, or CALDER, par. Lower ward, N
Lanark. 4 m. N. of Glasgow-44, on R. Kelvin, the



Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 88 of 293)