patr. Ld. Chancellor ; church, old, with a curious
danish stone, which states that one Ulf had a fort
here. Fair, 4 Sept. cattle and pedlery.
P. ALDBROUGH tnshp. ( ) Stanwick St. John
par. AT. R. York. 7 m. NNE. of Richmond- 233.
Acres 1150; pop. 544+2; poor r. 1337. (Richru.
U.) ; real prop. 29047. A. House, J. H. Hutton, Esq.
Aldbury (12) 3 m. N. by W. of Kingsclere, 2V.
P. ALDBURY par. (16) Dacorum hund. W.
Herts. 3 m. NNE. of Berkhampstead-26, near
N. West. rail, and Gd. Junct. canal, under the
Chilterns. Acres 2020 ; pop. 790 + 10 ; poor. r.
2737. (Berkhmps. U.) ; real prop. 25467.; cha-
rities 267., and poor's cottages. St. J. Baptist Rect.
(Roch.) val. 4487., patr. Bridgewater Trustees;
church, early eng. with tombs of the Verneys (a
fine brass, 1546), Andersons, and Hj'des, who had
the manor, now belonging to the Duke of Leeds.
Aldby Park ( J 6 m. NE. of York, N. R.
York. J. Darley, Esq. near the roman Derventio
at Stamford bridge, is Bede's ' Villa Regalis.'
ALDCLIFFE tnshp. ( ), Lancaster par. 2V. Lane.
1 m. SSW, of Lancaster-240, on Preston canal and
R. Lune. Acres 680; pop. 111 + 2; poor r. 407.
(Lane. U.) ; real prop. 1384/. A. Hall, E. Dawson,
Aide River (50, 48) rises near Haxted, E. Suf-
folk, and runs SE. and SW. about 30 m. past
Framlingham, Aldboro', and the Lantern marshes,
to Orford haven.
. P. M. ALDEBURGH, or ALBOKOUGH, par. (49)
Plomesgate hund. E. Suffolk, 20 m. ENE. of Ips-
wich, 94 from London, a port and bathing-place
between A. Bay and A. Mere, in the valley of
Slaughdon, on R. Aide or Thorpe Haven, was
a borough from Eliz. returning 2 members under
the Crcspigneys, till disfranchised by the Reform
act. Acres 1130, craig, etc.; pop. 1557 + 21, in
the herring and lobster fisheries and a small coast
trade ; houses 360, with 3 chapels, timbered town-
hall (with Elizabeth's stirrup), library, theatre,
customho., school (57.) ; poor r. 5377" on 54387.
(Plomesgate U.) ; real prop. 5566Z. ; charities 64Z
St. Peter and St. Paul Vie. (Norw.) val. 383/.
patr. F. J. V. Wentworth, Esq. of Slaughdon
House (who has the manor), a descendant o
Strafford, who was Visct. Aldboro'; church, o
flint (and in 1559 more than ten times further from
the shore), has 6 brasses of the Bences, etc. (from
1601), and is a well-known sea-mark. In 1846
32 sail of 1682 tons (17 being under 50 t each)
belonged to the port, which has Orford for a sub-
port ; total customs 61. (the trade being mostly at
Woodbridge). Gt. Casino, Hon. A. Thelluson;
Lit Casino, Sir R. S. Adair, Bt. About 4 m
ESE.of it lies. A. Knape shoal, 2 m. long, with 2
fath. water, on which the sea breaks heavily with
E. winds. Crabbe the poet, a native 1754-1832.
The title of Baron A. is in abeyance. Mkt. D.
Wed. Sat. Fairs, 1 Mar. 3 Mayi toys.
ALDEBY par. (67) Clavering hund. SE. Nor-
folk, 2 m. NE. of Beccles-109, on R. Waveney, was
a benedictine cell to Norwich ab. Acres 2690 ;
pop. 496 ; poor r. 372/. (Loddon U.) ; real prop.
5150Z. St. Mary Cur. (Norw.) val. 120/., patr.
Dean and Chap. ; church, has a good door.
Alden (55) 3 m. SW. of Leominster, N. Hereford.
ALDENHAM par. (7) Cashio hund. S. Herts.
2 m. NE. of Watford-15, near N. West rail,
and R. Colne, containing Theobald St. was the
saxon Ealdenham, given by St. Alban's ab. to
Westminster at the Conquest. Acres 5830 ;
poor r. 557/. (Watf. U.) ; pop. 1662 + 17 ; real
prop. 10,2557. ; charities 1165Z., of which 1141/.
to R. Platt's almshouses and gram, school, found.
1599, reb. 1825 by the Brewers' Comp. as an
Upper and Lower school. St. John Baptist Vic.
(Roch.) val. 425Z., patr. Thelluson's Trustees;
church, of flint, early eng., has 9 brasses (from
1520), a pillared font, coloured screen, and effigies
in the chancel chapel. A. Abbey, W. Stuart, Esq. ;
A. Lodge, J. Mason, Esq.
Aldenham Hall (61) 3 m. WNW. of Bridg-
north, E. Salop. Sir J. E. D. Acton, Bt
Alderbourn Bottom (7) 2 m. NW. of TJxbridge,
SE. Bucks, belonged to Ankerwyke nunnery.
Alderbrook (57) near Troedyraur, S W. Cardi-
gan. J. L. Williams, Esq.
ALDERBURY HUNDRED (14-5) S W. Wilts, con-
tains the pars, of *Alderbury ., Clarendon Park
Liberty, W. Dean r., * W. Grimstead r., Idminston
v., *Laverstockr., Melchet Park, Plaitford, Winter-
bourne Dantsey c., Wint Earls c., Wint. Gunner
and Winterstow r. ; acres 31,760, pop. 4979, houses
973. See Amesbury Deanery.
P. ALDERBITRY par. in the above hund. 3 m. SE.
of Salisbury-81, near S. West, branch rail, and
R. Avon, in a sporting country, contains Farley
and Pitton Curs. Acres 3950 ; pop. 1440 + 5, some
fustian weavers ; poor r. 327Z. ; real prop. 1620Z. ;
charities, Thistlethwaite's for poor, 157. Living,
a Vic. (Sal.) val. with the above 162/., patr.
Bishop. A. House, G. Fort, Esq. Ivy Church,
A. Court, Esq. on site of a priory. Alderb. P.
L. Union contains the pars. etc. marked * above,
with Britford (where the poor ho. is), Coombe
Bisset, Downton, Fisherton Anger, Homing-
ton, Landford, Milford, Nunton and Bodenham,
Odstock, Pitton and Farley, Stratford Toney,
Stratford-sub-Castle, The Close (or cathedral),
West Harnham, White parish, and Clarendon, E.
Grimstead, Standlynch ; acres 52,337, pop. 14,171,
cases relieved (yr. 1846-7) 2164 (out-door 1939),
expend. 7750Z., prop, rated 64,045Z. Sup. Registry
includes the same to Whiteparish, with Red-
lynch ; pop. 14,174+110 (27 deaths from cholera,
1849). New County Court district corresponds
with the Registry.
Alder car Hall (71) 6 m. E. of Belper, E. Derby.
on Erwash canal.
Alderdale Lodge (88) 3 m. W. of Ashton-undcr-
Lyne. SE. Lancash. A. Buckley, Esq.
ALDERFORD par. (66) Eynsford hund. Mid.
Norfolk, 10 m. NW. of Norwich-108, on R.
Wensum, belonged to Norwich Cath. Acres 320 ;
pop. 44 ; poor r. 157. (St. Faith's U.) ; real prop.
728Z. St. John Sect. (Norw.) val. with Attlebridge
2197., patr. Dean and Chap, rjg- Alder ford (1)
10 m. N. of Boyle, N.Roscommon, M.Dermott, Esq.
ALDERHOLT tythg. (15) Cranborne par. NE.
Dorset. 4 m. E. of Cranborne-93. Pop. 404; real
prop. 13447. Living, a Cur. (Sarum) val. 807., patr.
Vicar; church, b. by Marq. of Salisbury, 1849.
A. Park, Capt. Prevost
ALDERLEY par. (80-1) Macclesfield hund. E.
Cheshire, 5 m. WNW. of Macclesfield-167, a stat.
on Man. and Birm. rail., on a branch of the R.
Bollin, under A. Edge (360 ft. high, with a fine
view), contains A. OVEJR and NETHER tnshps.
(acres 2020 and 2510 ; pop. 455 and 679), and Gt.
Warford, and Birtles Cur. Acres 6240, new red
sandstone, with traces of lead, cobalt, and copper
at A. Edge; pop. 1538 + 20; poor r. 2197. (Mac-
clesf. U.); real prop. 84057.; charities 217. of
which 107. Shaw's free school. St Mary Rect.
(Ches.) vaL 750/., patr. Lord Stanley of Alderley,
who has the manor and A. Park, with its vene-
rable beeches near the Mere, and reb. the hall
since the fire of 1779.
ALDERLEY par. (35) Upper Grumbald's Ash
hund. S W. Gloucester. 6 m. NNE. of Chipping
Sodbury-108, on the Cotswolds, between two
branches of the Avon, near Kingswood forest.
Acres 730, lias ; pop. 174, fine cloth weavers ; poor
r. 1077. (Sodb. U.) ; real prop. 1963Z. St. Kenelme
Rect. (Gl. and Br.) val. 200Z. patr. R. H. B. Hale,
Esq. of A. House, whose great ancestor, Sir Mat-
thew (a native 1609-76) is buried in the church,
which commands a fine view.
ALDERMAN HAW vil. (63) Woodhouse chplry.
.ZV. Leicester. 2 m. W. of Mount Sorrel-105, had" a
cell to Bermondsey ab. Pop. 25. ijg" A. Rock
(147) at the entrance of Crookhaven, Sty. Cork,
is above water.
P. ALDERMASTON, or ADMISTON, par. (12)
Sheale hund. S. Berks. 10 m. SW. of Reading-38,
in a pretty spot where the R. Emborne joins the
Kennet, a stat. on Gt. West, branch rail, and the
roman Silchester, was a mkt. town, and occupied
by Essex 1644. Acres 2240, heathy ; pop. 662 + 3 ;
poor. r. 448Z. (Bradfield U.) ; real prop. 3668Z. ;
charities 8Z., and Dixon's almshouses. St. Mary
Rect. (Oxon.) vaL , patr. W. Congreve, Esq.
who has the manor and A. Park (with its fine old
lall and painted windows), and is of the drama-
;ist's family ; church, ancient, with tombs of the
Orchards, Delameres, etc. A camp near A. Soak.
Fairs, 6 May, 7 July, horses; 11 Oct. pedlerv.
P. ALDERMINSTER par. (54) Upper Pershore
lund. SE. Worcester, locally in Warwick. 4 m.
SSE. of Stratford-on-Avon-96, on Moreton tram
rail, and R. Stour. Acres 3480 ; pop. 508 + 5 ; poor
r. 185Z. (Stratf. U.) ; real prop. 3655. St Mary
Vic. (Wore.) val. 1707., patr. Ld. Chancellor;
;hurch, cruciform, and part norman.
Aldermoor (10) 1 m. SSW. of Ryde, I. of Wight,
ALDERNEY, one of the Channel Islds. 8 m. W.
of Cape la Hogue in Normandy, to which it once
belonged, 18 m. NE. of Guernsey, in that juris-
diction, and 50 m. SSE. of Portland Bill, is the
Riduna of the Romans, and Aurigny of the French,
and a sub-port to Southampton ; is 8 m. in com-
pass, mostly high land, surrounded by rocks and
shoals, as the Blancliard (E.)> the Coquelihou
and Noire Putes clusters, with Cholebank be-
yond (S.), the Susurouais bank (SW.), the
Burhou reef, Ortach and Pierre au Vrach rocks
(NW.), with the deep Passage du Singe or
' Swinge ' inside, and Passage d'Ortach outside,
beyond which are Pommier and the Caskets. Size
about 4 sq. m. good soil, partly in grass, well ma-
nured with vraic or seaweed, and producing grain
and potatoes ; pop. 1030, mostly at St. Anne's in
the centre (which has a chapel, school, and hosp.),
and the two small ports adjoining it Braye, the
principal one to the W., where the gentry reside,
and through which a little trade is carried on
with Guernsey, and Longy to the E., which has an
old fort named after Essex. It is governed by 6
jurats and 12 douzainiers, subject to the states
of Guernsey, but is the property of the crown, by
whom it was purchased from the Mesuriers. St.
Anne Cur. (Winch.) val. 120Z. ; church, old. The
small straight-back Alderney cattle, valued for
their milk, now come chiefly from Jersey. Through
the Race between this and France, where the flood
tide runs 6 m. an hour, the French fleet escaped
from Russell 1692, after the battle of La Hogue ;
in its neighbourhood the son of Henry I. and his
companions were drowned, and Adml. Balchen was
lost in the Victory 1774. A son of George II. was
created Baron Alderney.
Alder sbrook (1) 6m. NE. of St. Paul's, SW.
Essex, in Epping forest, on E. Count, rail, near
R. Roding, was the seat of Lethieullier, the anti-
ALDERSEY tnshp. (80) Coddington par. W.
Cheshire, 7 m. NNW. of Malpas-168, on a branch
of R. Dee, had salt-works, and belongs to S.
Aldersley, Esq. of A. Hatt. Acres 840 ; pop. 138 ;
poor r. 50/. (Gt. Bough ton U.) ; real prop. 1122Z.
Aldershaw or Addershaw (88) 1 m. S. of Old-
ham, S. Lancash.
ALDERSHOTT par. (8) Upper Crondall hund.
NE. Hants. 8 m. E. of Odiham-40, on R. Black-
water, near Basingstoke canal, belonged to Merton
priory, and was the seat of the Tichbomes. Acres
4070 ; pop. 685 + 2 ; poor r. 454Z. ; (Farnham U.) ;
real prop. 1967?.; charities 21. Living, a Cur.
(Win.) val. 64Z., patr. J. Eggar, Esq., and others.
Alderson, 1 m. WNW. of Haddington, Mid.
Alderstead (8)" 4 m. NE. of Reigate, E. Surrey,
near Brighton rail.
ALDERSTONE tythg. (15) Whiteparish par. SE.
Wilts. 1 m. SE. of Salisbury. Real prop. 1317Z.
ALDERTON par. (44) Upper Tewkesbury hund.
N. Gloucester. 4 m. NW. of Winchcomb-95, near
the Cotswolds, contains Dixton and remains
of a saxon camp. Acres 1750; pop. 411 + 8;
poor r. 158Z. (Winchc. U.); real prop. 1905Z. ;
charities 201 St. Margaret Beet. (Gl. and Br.)
val. 337Z., patr. Rev. C. Covey, rector. $T AL-
DERTON par. (52) Cleley hund. /S. Northmptn.
3 m. SE. of Towcester-60, near Gd. June, canal,
Watling St., and R. Tove. Acres 910 ; pop. 166 ;
poor r. 77Z. (Potterspury U.) ; real prop. 1296Z. ;
charities 41, and 5 poor's cottages. St. Margaret
Rect. with Grafton Regis, igf ALDERTON tnshp.
(61) Gt. Ness par. W. Salop. 7 m.WNW. of Shrews-
bury- 153, near the Severn. Pop. 54. ^5"AL-
DERTON tnshp. (73) Hadnall chplry. N. Salop.
7 m. N. of Shrewsbury-153. Pop. 25.
P. ALDERTON par (48) Wilford hund. SE.
Suffolk, 7 m. SE. of Woodbridge-77,near Hollesley
bay and R. Deben. Acres 2680 ; pop. 620 + 5 ; poor
r. 409/. (Woodbr. U.) ; real prop. 4135/. ; chari-
ties 23Z. St. Andrew Rect. (Norw.) val. 720Z.,
patr. Bishop and Norton's Trustees, some-
time held by Giles Fletcher the poet, who died
here 1623 ; the ruined church is a sea-mark.
lgg ALDERTON par. (34-5) Chippenham hund.
NW. Wilts. 6 m. SW. of Malmesbury-94, near
Akeman St. and Badminton Park. Acres 1700 ;
pop. 183 ; poor r. 171Z. (Malmesb. U.) ; real prop.
231 U. St. Giles Cur. (Gl. and Br.) val. , patr.
J. Neeld, Esq. M.P. of Red Lodge ; church, has
the tomb of Gore the antiquary (a native 1631-81),
of A. House, an old seat.
ALDERWASLEY chplry. (71) Wirksworth par.
Mid. Derby. 2 m. E. of Wirksworth-140, near
Cromford canal and R. Derwent. Pop. 398, in the
colliery, iron and lead works ; poor r. 88/. (Belper
U.) ; real prop. 2947Z. Living, a Don. (Lien.) val.
I., patr. F. Hurst, Esq. of A. Hall, who built
Crich Stand, which has a view to Lincoln Cath.
ALDFIELD tnshp. ( ) Ripon par. W. R. York.
3 m. WSW. of Ripon-212, on a branch of R. Ure,
has mineral springs in a fine spot. Acres 850 ;
pop. 132 ; poor r. 42Z. ; real prop. 1292Z. Living, a
Cur. (Rip.) val. with Studley 72Z., patr. Earl de
Grey, of Studley Park, which includes Fountain's
ALDFORD par. (80) Higher and Lower Brox-
ton hunds. W. Chesh. 5 m. S. of Chester-183, on
R. Dee, near Shrewsb. rail., containing Churton,
Buerton, and Edgerley, and remains of a castle,
b. by Rob. de A. (Hen. II.) was a mkt. town and
garrisoned by Brereton in the civil war. Acres
2820, of town 1150, with lead ore ; pop. 835 and
488 ; poor r. 149Z. (Gt. Boughton U.) ; real prop.
3646Z. ; charities 6Z., and the Grosvenors' gram,
school. St. John Baptist Rect. (Ches.) val. 330/.,
patr. Marquis of Westminster, of Eaton Hall. A
bridge crosses the ' old ford ' into Wales, on a
branch of Watling St.
ALDHAM par. (48) Lexden hund. N. Essex, 4
m. NE. of Coggeshall-48, near E. Count, rail, and
the R. Roman, was a manor of the De Veres, and
is a meet for E. Esx. hounds. Acres 2040 ; pop.
382 ; poor r. 137/. (Lexden U.) real prop. 2951Z. ;
charities 52Z. Living, a Rect. (Roch.) val. 327Z.,
patr. Bishop of London, sometime held by Mo-
rant, who wrote the Hist, of the county and of
Colchester, and the lives in the ' Biograph. Brit.'
marked C. ijjg" ALDHAM old par. now joined to
Whitkirk, N. Haddngtn. has a ruined chapel near
Tantallon cast. igT ALDHAM par. (48) Cosford
hund. S. Suffolk, 2 m. NE. of Hadleigh-64, near
A. Common, where the venerable Rowland Taylor
was burnt 1555, had a priory cell at A. Street.
Acres 2170 ; pop. 293 ; poor r. 163Z. (Cosford U.),
real prop. 2232Z. ; charities 1Z. St. Mary Rect.
(Ely) val. 290Z., patr. W. Leonard, Esq. ; church,
has a good wooden porch.
Aldie Castle, 3 m. SE. of Muckart, SE. Perth.
near Devon Water, a ruined seat of the Tullibar-
dines, belonging to Baroness Keith through the
ALDINGBOURN par. (91) Box hund. Chichester
rape, S W. Sussex, 3 m. E. of Chichester-62, near
S. Coast rail., contains Lidsey and Westergate.
Acres 3080 ; pop. 772 ; poor r. 521Z. (W. Hamp-
nett U.) ; real prop. 6301Z. St. Mary Vic. (Chic.)
val. 212Z., patr. Dean ; church, has black marble
font. A. House, Lady H. Howard.
ALDINGHAM par. ( ) N. Lonsdale hund. N.
Jxmcash. 4 m. SE. of Dalton-in-Furness-276, on
Morccambe bay, contains Dendron Cur. Gleaston
(with its old castle), and Leece. Acres 4680 ; pop.
907 + 2 ; poor r. 194Z, (Ulverstone U.) ; real prop.
6726Z.; charities 15Z. of which HZ. to Dickenson's
school. St. Cuthbert Cur. (Ches.) val. 1093Z.,
patr. Crown ; church, once in the centre of the
parish, is now washed by the sea which has swept
away A. Ha]!, the Flemings' old seat. A square
and a round camp are seen.
P. ALDINGTON par. (3, 4) Bircholt Franchise,
Shepway lathe, SE. Kent, 6 m. SE. of Ashford-
53, near S. East rail, and Military canal, is the
court for Romney Marsh. Acres 3420 ; pop. 733 ;
poor r. 5247. (E. Ashf. U.) ; real prop. 55027.;
charities 97. St. Martin Cur. (Cant) val. with
Smeeth 1014Z., patr. Archbp., once held by Eras-
mus ; church, early eng. with painted windows.
IgT ALDINGTON hmlt. (44) Badsey par. SE.
Worcester. 2 m. E. of Evesham-95. Pop. 102.
Aldmore (73) 6 m. W. of Stafford, W. Staffd.
ALDON hmlt (6) Addington and Ryarsh pars.
NW. Kent, 6 m. NW. of Maidstone-34.
ALDON tnshp. (55) Stokesay par. S. Salop. 6
m. NW. of Ludlow-143, near R. Onny, belongs to
Lyster of Rowton. Pop. 236.
AMoth ( ) 8 m. W. of Wigton, NW. Cumbrld.
Aldourie, 5 m. S. of Inverness, NE. Invent, at
the head of Loch Ness, seat of W. F. Tyler, Esq.
where Sir J. Macintosh was born (1765-1832).
Aldreth (51) 9 m. N. of Cambridge, Mid. Cambr.
near R. Ouse.
P. ALDRIDGE par. (62) S. Offlow hund. S.
Stafford. 3 m. NE. of Walsall-121, near Wyrley
canal, and S. Staf. rail., contains Gt. Barr Cur.
and Druidmuir pool. Acres 7930, of town 2970,
with potter's clay and coalpits; pop. 2094 + 39
and 1007 + 16, some in the distillery ; poor r.
1757. (Wals. U.) ; real prop. 5340/. ; charities
182/., of which Jordan's for boys' and girls'
free-schools 1187. and 117., clerk's land 267.,
and 6d. 'custom money,' to every housekeeper
who asks it of rector. St. Mary Rect. (Lich.) val.
with Barr 500/., patr. Sir E. D. Scott, Bt. of Ban-
Hall Park; church, has effigies of a Stapleton.
A. Lodge, .
ALDRINGHAM par. (49, 50) Blything hund. E.
Suffolk, 2 m. NNE. of Aldboro'-94, near the
coast, contains Thorpe, and was a mkt. town.
Acres 610 ; pop. 401 + 4 ; poor r. 907. (Blything
U.) ; real prop. 141 It St. Andrew Cur. (Norw.)
val. with Thorpe 597., patr. Rev. E. Hollond.
ALDRINGTON, or ATHERINGTON, par. (9) Fish-
ergate hund. Lewes rape, S. Sussex, 3 m. WNW.
of. Brighton-51, now joined to Portslade, has been
wasted by the sea, which carried away the church,
etc. Living, a Sect. (Chic.) val. 2947., patr. Mag.
Aldrow House ( ) 6 m. SSE. of New Malton,
E. R. York.
ALDSTONE. See ALSTON, Cumbrld.
P. ALDSWORTH par. (44) Brightwell's Barrow
hund. E. Gloucester. 4 m. SE. of Northleach-
82, near R. Leach, belonged to Gloucester ab.
Acres 3460; pop. 365+1; poor r. 1357. (Northl.
U.) ; real prop. 29877. St Peter Cur. (Gl. and
Br.) val. 66/., patr. Vicar of Turkdean ; church,
on a hill, commanding a fine view. Igf ALDS-
WORTH tythg. (11) W. Bourn par. W. Sussex, 6
m. WNW. of Chichester-62, near Stanstead park,
is a meet for CoL Wyndham's hounds. Pop. 118.
ALD WAR K tnshp. (81) Bradborne par. Mid.
Derby. 3m. SSW. of Winster-150, near Mould-
ridge hill and High Peak rail. Pop. 82. igr
ALD w ARK tnshp. ( ) Alne par. N. R. York. 1 1
m. NW. of York-199, on the Ouse, near A. Bridge.
Acres 2220 ; pop. 224 + 3 ; poor r. 687. (Easingwold
U.) ; real prop. 2069?. ^T ALDWARK vil. (87)
Ecclesfleld tnshp. W. R. York. 2 m. NE. of Ro-
therham-159, on N. Midld. rail, and the Don. A.
Hall, G. Foljambe, Esq.
ALDWICK HUNDRED (9) Chichester rape, S W.
Sussex, contains Bognor and the pars, of S. Ber-
sted, E. Lavant, Pagham, Slindon, and Tangmere ;
acres 13,270, pop. 4689, houses 944. igf ALD-
WICK tythg. Pagham par. in the above hund.
3 m. W. of Bognor-67, near the coast, seat of
Capt. Sir R. G. Pechell, Bt igT A. Court (19)
8 m. S.W. of Bristol, N. Somerset.
ALDWINKLE ALL SAINTS' par. (52) Huxloe
hund. E. Northmptn. 2 m. XE. of Thrapston-72,
on Peterboro' rail, and R. Nen, is the saxon
Aldewingle. Acres, with St. Peter's, 2450 ; pop.
272 + 3; poor r. 1647. (Thrapst. U.) ; real prop.
38467. ; charities 51/., of which 167. to Thorpe's
school. Living, a Rect. (Pet) val. 3117., patr.
Rev. Dr. Roberts, rector, sometime held by the
father of Dryden, who was born here, 1631-1700 ;
church, later eng. with tower, chapel, and brass
of an Aldwinkle (1463). ^ A. ST. PETER'S
par. close to the above. Pop. 183 + 1 ; poor r.
1037. (Thrapst. U.) ; charities, a share with the
above. Living, a Rect. (Pet.) val. 2307., patr.
Lord Lilford of Lilford Hall, sometime held by
the father of Fuller, the church historian, who
was born here, 1608 -61. A. House, Hon. and Rev.
ALD-VVORTH, or ALI.DER, par. (13) Compton
hund. Mid. Berks. 4 m. ESE. of E. Ilsey-54,
an old (oZd) place near Icknield St., had a castle
at Beach farm, a seat of the De la Beches, who
held the manor. Acres 1960 ; pop. 314 + 3 ; poor
r. 1727. (Wantage U.) ; real prop. 23497. St. Mary
Vic. (Oxon.) val. 4497., patr. St. John's Coll.
Camb. ; church, early eng., with 9 canopied effi-
gies of the Beches, and a yew 9 yds. round hi the
ch. 3 r ard.
Ale Water, rises in Coldingham par. NE.
Berwick, and runs SE. 6 m. past Alefield to R.
Eye, near Eyemouth. (Jg- A. Water, rises in
Alemoor Loch, as below, and runs ENE. about 20
m. to R. Teviot near Ancrum, Mid. Roxburgh.
Aled River (79) rises at Llyn Aled, W. Den-
bigh, and runs N. about 10m. past Dyffrin Aled,
to R. Elwy near Llanfairtalhaiarn.
Alemoor Loch, 6 m. W. of Hawick, SE. Sel-
kirk, near A. EAST and WEST vils., at the head of
Ale Water, as above, has good perch and trout
ALEMOUTH. See ALNMOUTH, Northmbrld.
Alen River. See Alwen, Denbigh.
AlenhilL, 2 m. S. of St. Andrew's, E. Fife.
Alerond (22) 4 m. SE. of Topsham, E. Devon.
near R. Ex.
Alerwash or Allerwash ( ') 4 m. WNW. of
Hexham, S. Northmbrld.
ALETHORPE ext. par. (68) Gallow hund. N.
Norfolk, 2 m. ENE. of Fakenham-109. Acres
280; pop. 8.
P. ALEXANDRIA par. q. s. in Bonhill par. Mid.
Dumbrtn. 1 m. N. of Dumbarton-58, on Leven
Water. Pop. 3397, of vil. 3039, in the bleach-
ing and print works. Living (Presb. Dumb.) val.
7., patr. Male communicants.
Alex's, or Alexander's, Tor (30) 5 m. SE. of
Camelford, E. Cornwall, a peak near Brown Willy.
ALEXTON par. (62) E. Goscote hund. E. Lei-
cester. 6 m. NW. of Rockingham-84, on R. Eye,
close to the Rutland border. Acres 1010, grass
land; pop. 81 + 2; poor r. 307. (Billesdon U.);
real prop. 19377. St. Peter Rect. (Pet.) val. 1407.,
patr. Lord Berners, who has the manor and A.
Hall, an elizabethan seat.
Alfardistcorthy (26) 6 m. NW. of Holdworthv.
NW. Devon, on R. Tamar.
ALFORD DISTRICT, Mid. Aberdeen, hilly and
watered by the Don, contains the pars, of Alford,
Auchindoir* and Kearn, part of Cabrach, Clatt,
Glenbueket, Keig*, Kildrummy, Kinnethmont*
and Christ's Kirk, Leochel and Cushnie, Rhy-
nie* and Essie, Strathdon, Tough, Towie, and
Tullynessle ; pop. 12,091, houses 2380. * A.
PRISBTTKBY, synod of Aberdeen, includes the
above, except Rhynie. Ditto Free Church, those
P. AFFORD par. in that district, 28 m. WNW.
of Aberdeen-110, on the Don, at the bridge on
the North road where Montrose defeated the
Covenanters under Baillie 1645, belongs to Far-
quhar of Haughton. Acres 10,000, partly arable,
the rest hill and moor, with good soil near the
river ; pop. 1037 + 20 ; real prop. 4665?. Living
(Presb. Alford) val. 207?., patr. Crown ; church,
old. Bp. P. Forbes was born at the manse. Coreen
cairn and Cairn-balloch are two of the largest in
the country. Fairs, monthly for cattle.
ALFOLD par. (8) First Blackheath hund. S.
Surrey, 8 m. SE. of Godalming-33, near A. Cross
find A. Bars, and the Arun and "VVey canal,
is partly in Sussex. Acres 2610; pop. 519; poor
r. 290?. (Hambledon U.) ; real prop. 2291?. St.
Nicholas Sect. (Win.) val. 205?., patr. Rev. L. W.
P. M. AXFORD par. (84) Calceworth hund.
Parts of Lindsey, E. Lincoln, a stat. on Gt. North,
rail., ICO m. from London, or 138 by road, and 30
E. of Lincoln, a petty sess. and polling town, at
the ' old ford ' over a brook which runs through
it. Acres 1410, with a salt spring ; pop. 1945 +
1C ; houses 386, with chapel, 2 banks, savings'
bk., Spanning's or Q. Elizabeth's free gram, school
(269?.), with 2 fellowships at Magd. Coll. Oxon.
SpenlufFe's nat. school (61?.), Sir R. Christopher's
almsh. (221.) ; poor r. 887?. on 3600?. (Spilsby U.) ;
real prop. 5979?. ; charities 358?. St. Wilfrid Vic.
(Line.) val. with Rigsby 180?., patr. Bishop;
church, has a thatched chancel and some old
tombs. A mineral well and barrows are seen ; it
gives title of visct. to Earl Brownlow of Belton,
and is the head of a Wesleyan circuit. Mkt. D.
Th. Fairs, Whit. Tu. 8 Nov.
ALFOKD par. (19) Catsash hund. E. Somerset.
2 m. W. of Castle Cary-113, on R. Brae, was
noted for its mineral spa. Acres 710 ; pop. 90,
decreasing; poor r. 51Z. (Wincanton U.) ; real
prop. 1503?. ; charities 1Z. All Saints Rect. (Ba. and