Copyright
James A Sharp.

A new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) online

. (page 98 of 293)
Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 98 of 293)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


stored by Nash in the pointed style.

CARHAYES-ST. MICHAEL. See MICHAEL (ST.)
CARHAYES, Cornwall.

Carhoo (25) 6 m. NE. of Ennis. Mid. Clare.
^T Carhoo (72) near Coachford, W. Cork. .

Carhoon (110) near Bandon, S. Cork.

Carhoun ( ) near , W. R. York. H. Cooke,
Esq., formerly seat of the Childers family, where
the famous horse Bay Childers was bred.

Carhue House (61) 11 m. WNW. of Cork, Mid.
Cork.

CARHULLAN ( ) 4 m. NW. of Shap, NW.
Westmrld.

CARINGTON. See CARRDJGTON, Edinbro'.

P. 21. CARISBROOKE par. (10) W. Medina lib.
I. of Wight, S. Hants. 1 m. SW of Newport-82,
formerly a mkt. town and the capital of the
island, contains Bowcombe and Chillerton, and
the famous norman castle on the site of an earlier
one (found, before 530?), where Chas. I. was im-
prisoned (1647-8) and his daughter Elizabeth died
1650, now the seat of the governor. Acres 8880 ;
pop. 5613 + 90; houses 895, including Parkhurst
prison, House of Industry for the island, Albany
barracks, and a lunatic asylum ; poor r. -I. (I. of
W. Incorp.) ; real prop. 20.182/. ; charities 30/. St.
Mary Vic. (Wine.) val. with Newport and North-
wood 1123/., patr. Queen's Coll. Oxon. ; church,
which has some old mons. and norman door, was
given to Lyra abbey by its founder, W. Fitz-
Osborne, who took the island at the Conquest,
and also founded the cistercian priory 1071, of
which there are traces at the ' Priory ; ' St. John



818 CAR

Cur. 1., Rev. R. Rollings ; St. Nicholas-in- j
the-Castle Cur. 241., Governor, ch. in which
the mayor of Newport is sworn into office, on
the site of one which stood here at ' Domesdy.'
(when this place was called Avington, which is
the name of the manor now) is near the old
guard-house, and Charles's bedchamber. The
castle covers 2 acres, and includes the keep, whence
there is a fine view 'of the island, etc., the fine
machicolated entrance with its towers, the Mount-
joy tower (18 ft. thick in one part), the barracks,
the fortifications raised in Elizabeth's time, and a
well 200 ft. deep. Bradley the engraver, a native,
1769-1842.

Carity River in Lenthrathan par. W. For far,
rises under Catlaw, and joins the S. Esk below R.
Prosen.

Cork Mountn. (60) Raphoe bar. Mid. Donegal,
1198 ft. high.

CARKIN tnshp. ( ) Forcett par. N. R. York.
7 m. NNE. of Richmond-233. Acres 770 ; pop.
55 ; poor r. 247. (Richm. U.)

Carl Lofts. See KARL LOFTS, Westmrld.

Carlanstown (1) 5 m. N. of Castlepollard, N.
Westmeath, Duke of Buckingham, iggr CAU-
LANSTOWN vil. (11) Lower Kells bar. N. Meath,
3 m. NE. of Kells-30, belongs to H. Meredyth,
Esq., whose seat is here. Pop. 282. Fairs, 12
Mar. 1 May, 6 Aug. 19 Nov.

CARLATTON ext. par. ( ) Eskdale ward, E.
Cumbrld. 9 m. ESE. of Carlisle-301. Acres 1810 ;
pop. 61.

CARLAVEROCK. See CAEHLAVEROCK, Dum-
ries. which belongs to Maxwell of Everingham.

CARLBURY hmlt. ( ) ConisclifTc par. S. Dur-
ham, 5 m. WNW. of Darlington-241, on R. Tees.
Pop. 44, lime-burners. High C. 1 m. N.

CARLBY par. (64) Ness. wap. S. Lincoln. 5 m.
SSW. of Bourn-97, on R. Glen. Acres 1020;
pop. 216 + 1 ; poor r. 92/. (Bourn U.) ; real prop.
15,007. ; charities 11. St Stephen Red. (Line.)
val. 195/., patr. Marquis of Exeter and Sir E.
Smith, Bt C. House, .

CARLOOATES hmlt. (88) Thurlstone tnshp.
W. R. York. 1 m. W. of Peniston-175. Pop. 382.

CARLENRIG, near Mospaul, W. Rort/urgh. or
E. Dumfries, was the burial place of Johnie
Armstrong of Gilknockie.

Carle's work, The (81) on the moors between
Castleton and Hathersage, NW. Derby, a stone
embankment 8 ft. high, of unknown date.

Carleol of the Saxons is CARLISLE, Cumbrld.

iff CARLESFORD DEANERY, archdy. of Suffolk,
dioc. of Norwich, contains the benefices marked
in Carlford hund., with Woodbridge Cur. 16 in all.

CARLESTOWN hmlt. (30) Upper Navan bar.
Mid. Meath, 2 m. N. of Trim-27.

OARLETON tnshp. ( ) St. Cuthbert's par. N.
Cumbrld. 2 m. SE. of Carlislc-301. Pop. 175;
poor r. 30/. (Carlisle U.) igir CARLETON tnshp.
( ) Drigg par. 5 W. Cumbrld. 2 m. NNE. of
Ravenglass-279, near the coast. Pop. 143. C.
Hall, J Burrougb, Esq. giT CARLETON hmlt.
( ) Penrith par. E. Cumbrld. 1 m. E. of Penrith
-283, on R. Emont Pop. 81 ; real prop. 1944/. ;
C. Hall, J. Cowper, Esq., formerly of the Carle-
tons, who had it soon after the Conquest, down to
1707. ij?3r CARLETON chplrv. ( ) Redmarshall
par. SE. Durham, 3 m. NW. of Stockton-242, near
Clarence rail. Acres 1630; pop. 157; poor r. 49
(Stockt. U.); real prop. 1141/. (gf CAKLETON
tnshp. (87) Pontefract par. W.R. York. 1 m. S. of
Pontefract-77. Acres620 ; pop. 179 + 2 ; poorr.437. ;
real prop. 1747. St. Michael's Cur. (Rip.) val. ,
patr. ; church, b. 1850 by C. Tickers. igg CARLE-
TON chplry. (8) Snaith par. W. R. York. 2 m. N.



CAR

of Snaith-173, near R. Aire. Acres 3070 ; pop.
802 ; real prop. 5824Z. ; charities 251. St. Mary
Cur. (York.) val. 168/., patr. J. Day and Cave,
Esq. C. Hall, seat of Lady Throckmortcn, for-
merly of the Stapyltons, who have the manor.

CARLETON FOREHOE par. (66) Forehoe hund.
Mid. Norfolk, 3 m. N. of Wymondham-100, near
R. Yare, contains the four hills where the hund,
court to which it gives name was held. Acres
700; pop. 151 + 2; poor r. 55/. (Foreh. Incorp.)
real prop. 1091Z. ; chariHes, town lands 261. St.
Mary Rect. (Norw.) val. 1201., patr. Lord Wode-
hous"e. igg*" C., GREAT AND LITTLE, tnshp. ( )
Poulton-le-Fylde par. W. Lancash. 1 m. SW. of
Poulton-234, near the rail. Acres 900 ; pop.
378 + 6 ; poor r. 111. (Fylde U.) ; real prop. 3CGO/.
&T C. Mountn. 6 m. SW. of Girvan, S W.Ayr, on
the coast, 1554 ft. high, with an old tower on it.
C. Castle, Sir J. A. Cathcart, Bt. |^ C.-ST.
PETER par. (66) Loddon hund. E. Norfolk, 3 m.
NNW. of Loddon-112. Acres 1930; pop. 96;
poor r. 52/. (Loddon U.) ; real prop. 1112/. St.
Peter Rect. (Norw.) val. with Ashby 294/., patr.
Sir W. B. Proctor and Sir C. H. Rich. Bts.

CARLFORD HUNDRED (48, 50) SE. Suffolk,
contains the pars, of Great and Little Beatings,
Brightwell, Burgh, Clopton, Culpho, Foxhall,
Grundisburgh, Hasketon, Kesgrave, Martlesham,
Newbourn, Otley, Playford, Tuddenham, Wald-
ringfield, Witnesham, and part of Rushmere;
acres 22,550, pop. 6229, houses 1305.

Carlin Skerry. See Barrel of Butter, Orkney
Islds.

CARLINGCOTT hmlt. (19) Camerton and Dun-
kerton pars. NE. Somerset. 4m. SE. of Bath- 104.

P. M. 21. CARLINGFORD par. (25, 28-9) Lower
Dundalk bar. N. Louth, 9 m. NE. Dundalk, 75 from
Dublin, S. side of C. Lough, in the country of Hy-
Meath-Mhara, on the Pale containing Rathcor and
White Town, was found, by the De Courcys, who
built a castle here ; is a chief police and coast gd.
station, a petty sessions town, and a borough by
prescription, governed by a nominal sovereign,
and returned two members before the Union.
Acres 20,050, with limestone, rising at C. Mount n.
1935 ft.; pop. 12,558 + 37, of town 1110 de-
creasing, in a small coasting trade in butter,
linen, potatoes, coal, in the lime quarries, and
oyster fisheries ; houses, 230, with dispensary.
Living, a Vic. (Arm. C.) val. 2847. patr. Primate.
Near the ruined castle, which stands by the
sea, under the mountains, are remains of a mo-
nastery, found. 1305 by R. de Burgo, also of an
old churoh and house. The manor belongs to the
Marq. of Anglesea, and it gives title of visct. to
Earl of Tvrconnel. Nootka Lodge, H. Moore,
Esq. C. Lough, as above, about 10 m. long by
2 wide, with Rosstrevor and its column under the
Mourne mountns., on the N. side, Carlingford
and C. Mountns. on the S., and Warrenpoint
bathing-place at the mouth of the Newry river,
at the top, has sufficient water for the largest
ships, but is dangerous on account of the bar, the
rocks and shoals near it, and the sudden squalls.
There are lighthouses at Greenore point, and
Haulbowline rock, near Cranfield point, the
latter, fixed, b. 1823, 111 ft. high, seen 15 m. ; and
coast gd. stations, at Carlingford, Greenore
Cooley, and Cranfield points. Mkt. D. Sat. Fairs,
1st Sat. every month, 29 Sept.

CARLINGHOW hmlt. ( ) Guisbrough tnshp.
N. R. York, near Guisbrough-245. 1gg CAR-
LINGHOW hmlt. ( ) Batley tnshp. W. R. York.
6 m. NW. of Wakefield-182.

Carliriffivark Loch, near Castle Douglas, S.
Kirkcudbt. partly drained, has a short canal



CAR

to R. Dee, and is full of good shell marl, percli,
piko, etc.

CARLION (30) 3 m. NW. of Wadebridge-239,
Mid. Cornwall.

# * P. M. <%< 3[. CARLISLE city ( ) St. Mary's
and St. Cuthbert's pars, locally in Cumbrld. ward,
NE. Cumbrld. 301 m. NNW. from London by
rail, through Lancaster, the county, sessions, and
assize town, seat of diocese, a bonding port,
election and polling place (for E. Cumb.'), on the
wide plain of Ks. Eden, Caldew, and Peteril, and
Newcastle rail, is Lugmallium of Antonine, near
Stanwix or Conyavata (the loth station on the
wall), the Caerltol of the Britons, and seat of the
famous Arthur Uthred Pendragon (i. e. head
chief), and other kings of Cumbria; was deso-
lated by the Picts and Scots, rebuilt by Egfrid,
king of Northumbria, who gave it to St. Cuthbert,
bishop of Lindisfarne, to which it was joined till
Hen. I., 1133, made it a separate bishopric; was
again destroyed by the Danes 875, and revived
by Will. Rufus, Avtio b. the castle 1092 ; held by
David of Scotland from 1135 to 1153, after which
it was yielded to England, again burnt 1292,
besieged by Bruce without success 1315, and as
the key to Scotland, was the scene of most border
events down to 1645, when it was taken for parl.
by Gen. Lesley, and a century later occupied by
the Pretender; has returned two members from
the time of Edw. I., the bounds under the Re-
form act, including the tnshps. of Abbey, Castle,
Fisher, Scotch, and English streets within the
liberties which constitute the old boro,' and those
of Rickergate, Botchergate, and part of Caldew-
gate, which, along with Cummersdale, Botcherly,
Briscoe, belonging to the city, are without the
liberties, no. of electors being 10G7 (of 107. houses
3754) ; was first chartered by Rich. I., and by the
act of 1835 is divided into 5 wards, governed by a
mayor, 10 aid., 30 council, with the style of " may.
aid. bailiffs, and citiz. of city of C.," and a revenue
of 34917. Acres of boro' 6740, of which 4080 in St.
Mary's ; pop. of city 23,012 + 301, of boro' 20,815,
in the manufact. of cotton, ginghams, checks, hats,
whips, hooks, and in calico-printing, the salmon
fisheries, and coasting-trade. Houses 3516, many
well built of stone, with the cathedral, 12
churches and chapels ; castle and barracks ; court
house (cost 100,0007.), for Easter and Midsum.
assizes, formerly the citadel, and county gaol on
site of black-friary, both by Smirke; old town
and moot halls near the mkt. cross (1682) ; old
gaol, assembly-rooms, theatre; newsroom and
library by Rickman, who also built the new
churches ; academy of arts, mechanics' institute,
3 banks, savings bank (91,8477. from 3447 de-
positors), 8 guilds, gasworks, factories, dye-
works, foundries, breweries; Hen. VIII. 's gram,
school, in which Bp. Thomas, and Dean Carlyle,
a native and arabic scholar, were educated; girls'
school (377.); Freeman's almshouses, St. Patrick's
school, county infirmary, house of recovery, or
fever hosp. ; dispensary, in which a child was
born 1788 without a brain, and lived 6 days;
Harrowby Hill and St. Mary's and Union poor-
houses; 5 -arched bridge over the Eden (70,0007.),
by Smirke, each arch being 65 ft. span ; 2 small
bridges on the Caldew, one on the Peteril. Assd.
taxes 37987. ; poor r. 23477. on 27,0047. ; real prop.
CD, II I/., of which 39097. on canal; charities 1227.
Livings are: St. Mary Cur. (Carl.) val. 797., patr.
Dean and Chap., church, is part of Cathedral
nave; St. Cuthbert Cur. 1507., Dean and Chap.,
ch. b. 1778 on site of a very old one, with mon.
of Dean Carlyle ; Holy Trinity Caldewgate Cur.
SGI., Incumbent of St. Mary's ; Christ Church Cur.



CAR



349



1507. , Incumbent of St. Cuthbert's. The CatJie-
dnif, found, as a priory, cf which the gateway
remains, by Walter the Norman, and endowed bv
Hen. I. 1011, is cruciform, with the loss of the
W. half of the nave, which was pulled down in
the civil war, as were the chapterhouse and clois-
ters ; what is left is used as a church, and has the
thick columns and round arches of the norman
style ; the choir is early and decorated eng., and
contains an E. window 48 ft. by 30, which Rick-
man thinks exceeds in beauty the W. window of
York, also a fine brass of Bp. Robinson (1C 1C),
a native, with mons. of Bps. Barrow, Bell (triple
canopied brass 1496), Henry, and of Edw. Law,
Paley, and Anderson the Cumberland poet. Size
of choir 137ft. by 71, and 75 ft, high; transept
124 by 28 ; embatded tower 130ft. high. Within
the precincts are Priest Senhouse's Deanery (1507),
with emblazoned oak ceiling ; the fratry, or re-
fectory, now the chapter-house, where Edw. I. held
a parl. on his return from Scotland (1307) with
stone confessional chair. Within the castle, which
has been restored, and like the cathedral forms one
of the most conspicuous objects here (for which
it was used as a beacon in the forays), are the
old keep or armory built by Rufus, and the bar-
racks ; the tower where Mary Q. of Scots was
confined is pulled down. In 1546, Scott of Buc-
cleugh rescued ' Kinmont Willie ' from this for-
tress, as told in the 'Border Minstrelsy.' The
site of St. Nicholas's leper hosp. which was given
to the chapter, is now crossed by the Newcastle
rail., but part of the town walls, supposed to have
been first built by the Romans, and restored by
K. David, remain. Roman coins, altars, inscrip-
tions, brass incense vases, etc. have been found ;
and roads went to Penrith and Lancaster, to Old
Carlisle and Ellenborough, and toLongtown. An
earthquake which reached to Newcasle and Glas-
gow was felt here 1786. It is considered healthy,
and the " Carlisle Tables " in use at many life
assurance offices, published by Milne, and founded
on the rate of mortality given by Dr. Heysham,
1779-87, are nearer the average, and therefore
more equitable, than any others. The ' C. harriers '
hunt round here ; it supports the ' C. Journal,' and
' C. Patriot ' newspapers, and gives title of Earl
to the Howards of Naworth. Cooly Castle, H.
Howard, Esq. ; Kickerby, Capt. Graham. A rail.
70 m. long joins the place to Lancaster, in con-
junction with the Caledonian rail. ; another of 62
m. joins it to Newcastle, in conjunction with a
third one of 28 m. to Maryport, etc. ; the ship canal
made 1819, runs from the basin 10^ in. to Bowness,
on Solway Frith (whence a steamer plies to Liver-
pool), rising 70 ft. with 9 locks, and admitting
small craft. In 1846, 43 sail of 2942 tons (14
being above 50 t. each), and 3 steamers of 607 t.
belonged to the port, which has Allonby and Port
Carlisle for sub-ports ; and the tonnage Inwards
and Outwards, including repeated voyages, was
' coastwise,' 235 of 9405, and 730 of 32,542 tons
(besides 148 steamers of 38,471, and 145 of
37,919 1.), from and to ' colonies ' 17 of 3299, and
5 of 1083 t., from and to 'foreign ports,' 1
foreigner of 550, and 1 of 150 t. ; total customs
48,1227. the trade being in grain, bark, etc. The
DIOCESE, province of York, is co-extensive with
the ARCHDEACONRY, which contains the deaneries
of Allerdale, Carlisle, and Westmoreland, or 96
benefices, comprising all Cumbrld. and Westmrld.
except Allerdale - above - Derwent and Kendal
wards. Bishop's seat, Rose Castle, and income
30007., with patr. of 45 living. Abps. Usher and
Strnic have held it. The DEANERY contains the
benefices marked in Cumberland and Eskdale



350



CAR



wards, with Ilesketh in the Forest cur. The
chapter consists of a chan., 4 canons, arch-
deacon (345/.), chancellor, 4 minor canons.
Carlisle P. L. Union, contains the pars. etc. of
Carlisle, Beaumont, Burgh-by-Sands, Crosby,
Dalston, Grinsdale, Kirkandrews, Orton, Rock-
cliffe, Stanwix, Warwick, Wetheral, Wreay with
Blackwell, Carleton, Harraby, Kingmoor, Up-
perby acres 53,890, pop. 36,084, cases relieved
(yr. 1846-7) 3419 (out-door 2875), expend. 8523Z.,
prop, rated 137,9417. Sup. Registry comprises the
same up to Wreay, with Highead, Little Corby,
Middlesceugh, Braithwaite; pop. 36,159 + 318;
births (1845) 1244 (598 being females, 127 ille- j
git.) deaths 752 marriages 250, of which 136 ;
persons signed with marks : 41 deaths from cholera |
in '49. The New County Court district includes j
the Registry, with Brampton and Longtown.
Mkt. Ds. Wed. Sat, Fairs, 26 Aug. 19 Sept. horses,
cattle ; every Sat. from Michaelmas to Christmas j
on the Sands ; Sats. at Whitsuntide and Martin- j
mas, hiring. Races, July, on a course of 1 m. !
90 yds.

Carlisle Fort (87) E. side of Cork Harbour, op-
posite Camden fort, SE. Cork.

Carlisle, Old, 2 m. SE. of Wigton, Mid. Cum-
brld. the roman Olenacum, on the way to Virosi-
dum or Ellenborough, and the station of the Ala t
Augusta or Hercidea. Various remains and traces
of buildings, which have contributed to the erec- ',
tion of Wigton, have been found.

CARLISLE'S QUARTER. See BIGGIS QUARTER,
Northmbrld.

CARLOPS vil. Linton par. NW. Peebles. 3 m. |
NE. of Linton- 17, on the N. Esk, was found. ;
1784, near the Carlin's Loitps, so called after a j
witch, the original of Ramsey's "Manse." Pop.
153, cotton weavers, of whom was Forrest the
poet, who died here.

CARLOW (26 sheets) an inland co. Leinster
province, SE. Ireland, once part of Hy Kinselagh,
including Hy Cavannagh and Hy Drone, the
country of the M'Morroughs (Kings of Leinster),
O'Ryans. O'Nolans, O'Mores, etc., is traversed
by the (navigable) Barrow for 25 m., and the
Slaney for 17 m. and bordered by Kildare (N.),
Wick'ow (NE.), Wexfd. and Blackstairs Mtns.
(SE.), Kilhy. (SW.), and Queen's Co. (NW.).
Length from below StMullin's to Mountneill 33m. :
greatest breadth 20, av. ditto 10 ; relative size 106-
10,000ths. It contains 346 sq. m. or 221,342
acres, of which 184,059 are arable, 4927 planta-
tion, 31,429 uncultivated heath bog, etc., 505
water; 15,210 families, of whom 10,498, or 69 per
cent, live by agricult., 3139, or 21 per cent by
manufact. trade, etc., 408 professions or inde-
pendent, 8999 by manual labour, 10,147 in 3rd and
4th, or lowest class houses ; 86,228 + 422 persons,
of whom 15,731 are in Carlow, Tullow, Bagenals-
town, and 43,800 are females, 40,026 under 20
yrs. of age, 79,312 county-born ; 14,562 houses,
besides 554 empty, or building; 7 baronies
Carlow (NW.), Forth (E.), IdroneEast and West
(Mid. and W.), Rathvilly (NE.), St Mullin's Lower
and Upper (S.) ; 35 parishes (of which St. Mullin's
is largest 17,854 ac.), and parts of 12 others ; 5
market towns Carlow the co. town etc. as below,
Tullow and Bagenalstown where qr. sessions are
parti}' held, Leighlinbridge, Hacketstown, the
first being head of a poor law Union, the first 3
with Borris, police districts (20 stations and 159
men), and there are 4 fever hosp. and 10 dis-
pensaries ; returns three members to parl. (6 before
the Union), being 2 for county (1134 elect.),
and one for Carlow (as below) ; is governed by a
lord lieut., high sheriff", 8 deputy lieuts., and



CAR

about 46 magistrates ; is in the Home circuit, the
E. military district, and Leighlin diocese, which
with Ferns is united to Ossory. Gross rental
(1846) 222,3197., or 21s. l^.peracre; val. to poor
r. 193.838/. ; county rate ('48) 18,457/. Loan funds
('48) 5, with a capital of 3478/., and circulating
13,040/. Schools (national) 55, with 7735 child,
attending, in 1841, 8135 went to schools of all
kinds, and 38 - 7 per cent, of the pop. could not read
or write. Av. number of committals ('45-8) 501, of
whom 227 were convicted. Births, 1 in 34 ; deaths
1 in 32. On the S. are the Blackstairs granite range,
and Mt. Leinster (2604ft.), and to NE. are some
hills from 400 to 900 ft. ; with this exception, the
surface is nearly level upon a limestone bottom.
Soil, in the uplands gravelly in the plain, rich
loam, with abundance of pasture and many dairies,
whence excellent butter (as much as 50,000 fir-
kins yearly) and fat cattle are sent to market.
Acres in crop ('48) 89,214, of which the chief are
oats 25,875, potatoes 13,668, wheat 12,205, mea-
dow and clover 26,291, barley and rye 5349, tur-
nips 3500, and val. of live stock in '41 on 6375
farms above one acre, was 278,1 59Z., including
28,432 sheep, 23,163 cattle (Durham cross, etc.),
21,408 pigs, 9702 horses, etc., 102,031 poultry, etc.
About 300,000 barrels of flour and meal are ground
in the water-mills scattered along the Barrow,
some of which as at Milford, etc. are very large.
The plantations are oak (851 acres), fir (268),
chestnut, lime, thorn. Draining is backward, and
the inclosures are frequently either a stone paling
made of granite which splits easily, or a ditch.
Coal, worked at Castlecomer, and limestone, which
is sometimes marbly, and bears a polish, is used
for building and other purposes. Manufactures,
of no consequence. The Burren and Durneen are
two small branches of the rivers above. Among
the antiquities are remains of a cromlech 23 ft.
long, weighing 90 tons, at Viewmount, and an-
other at Tobintown ; an old church at St. Mullin's ;
abbey ruins at Wells and Tullough, where also
is the Graces' castle and the Cloch a Phoill or
hole-stone, through which children were passed ;
an old rath at Leighlin bridge; Lacy's castle at
Carlow, to guard the Pale ; the Ormonds', at Clog-
renan, White and Black castles at Leighlin
once the seat of a bishop, where a synod was held
630 ; the Templars' cast, at Ballymoon ; Butlers',
at Clonmore ; and one at Clonmullen, where lived
Carolan's ' Aileen a Roon.' Some of the leading
fams. are : Visct. Duncannon Garrihill, Butler, Bt.
Ballintemple, Kavanagh of Borris Cast., Bruen of
Erin Dale, Eustace of Castlemore, M'Clintock of
Moyle (through the Bunburys), Newton of Dun-
lechney (through the Ryans and Bagenals). Other
old names were Duval, St. Aubin, Cooke, Ber-
mingham, Carew, Burton of Burton. Carlow, or
Catherlogh, was made a shire within the Pale or
irish border by John, who gave it to Will. Earl
of Pembroke, whence it came through the Bigods
and Howards to the Crown. As guardians of the
pale, they were involved in continual warfare
with its native possessors and the chiefs beyond,
but nothing of historical importance occurred.
Roads : 1. Carlow up the Barrow to Castleroe 5 m.
Athy 11. 2. Burton Hall 3, Castledermot 6; or
Graney 6, Baltinglass 12. 3. Coolamnagh 11,
Hacketstown 15, Randangan under the Wicklow
Mntns. 19. 4. Grangeford 5, Tullow 8. 5. Moyle
5, Castle Grace 9, Clonegall 13. 6. Leighlinbridge
8 (thence to Myshall 17), Bagenalstown 10,
Goresbridge 16, B'orris 19 (to Ballymurphy 22),
St. Mullin's 23, thence to New Ross 32. About
15 m. of the S. East rail., and a branch of Gt. S.
and West passes Carlow, Leighlinbridge, etc.



CAH

CAUI.OW BARONY (7, 8, etc.) NW. Carlow,
contains the pars, of Ballinacarrig, Ballyerogue,
Carlow, Clonmelsk, Grangeford, Killerig, Urglin,
and parts of Cloydagle, Kellystown, Nurney,
Painstown.andTullowmagimma ; acres 3 1,354, an.
val. 30,1 241., pop. 15,934 (decreasing), houses 2400.

# P. M. CARLOW par. (7) formerly CATHER-
I,<H;II, in the above bar. and co., a station on Gt.
S. West, branch rail., 55J m. SW. by S. of Dublin,
on K. Barrow (which is navigable to Athy) op-
posite Graigue, Queen's Co., was found, by the
De Lacys who built the castle about 1180, and
taken by Ireton 1650 ; is an assizes and sessions
town, a chief revenue and police station, militia
head qrs. and a boro' which, under charter of
Ch. 11., was governed by a sovereign, burgesses,
etc. (a body lately extinct), and returned two
members before the Union, but since that, one,
the limits under the Reform act including Graigue,
and no. of electors being 471 (of 101. houses 403).
Acres of par. 3330, good land, of boro' 572 ;
pop. of par. 9901 + 30, of boro' 10,409, of
town 8736, in the grain and butter trade ; houses
1514 (in boro'), with 2 churches, 3 chapels,
rom. cath. cathedral (for the dioc. of Kildare and
Leighlin) with a mon. to Bp. Doyle and St. Pa-
trick's coll. found. 1795 (under a president, etc.
aud professors of theology, scriptures, latin,
moral and nat. philos.), diocesan school, county
court-house, prison and hospital, district lunatic
asylum, fever hospital, dispensary, barracks, 3
banks, brewery, flourmills, malthouses, and Union
poor ho. Living, a Rect. (Os. F. L.) val. 2457.,
patr. Crown; church, with a spire of 195 ft.
Oak Park, seat of Col. Bruen, formerly of the
Cookes ; Browne Hill, W. Browne, Esq. on the



Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 98 of 293)