James B. (James Brown) Johnston.

Place-names of Scotland online

. (page 10 of 26)
Online LibraryJames B. (James Brown) JohnstonPlace-names of Scotland → online text (page 10 of 26)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


refuge,' and is found so c. 1450.

BIGOAK. c. 1170, Bigir; 1229, Bygris ; 1524, Begart. G.
beat] tir, ' little land ;' in 1524 confiised with garth (see
APPLBGAKTH).

BILBSTER (Caithness). Old Bilbuster. Peril. ' sword-
place;' fr. O.Sw. and O.K. b-U, a sword or 'bill,' and
X. bolstaftr, see p. Ixiv.

BIXDLE (Portmahomack).

BIXXEXD (Burntisland). In O.K. binn was a manger, then a

' bin ;' but this is prob. = next.
BIXXY (Uphall). 1250, Binin. G. beinnan, a little hill.

BIRGHAM (Coldstream). Pron. -jam ; prob. 1250, 'Capella
Brigham Letham.' O.K. beorg, shelter, same root as
borough, + hdm, home, house, village; 'shelter-village.'
It stands just on the Borders.

BIRKET'S Hill (Urr, Kirkcudbright). O.K. bean; 8c. and
Dan. birk, a birch. On- et, cf. AIKET.

BIRKHALL (Ballater). As above.

BIRXAM (Dunkeld). O.P1 Horn, bcorn, warrior, in M.K.
berite, birn, + ham, home, 'hero's house.' Cf. BIRGHAM.

15IRXESS (Kllon). ^fay be same as BURXESS, in Orkney.

BIRNIB (Elgin), a. 1200, Brennach. Prob. ' Brendan's Field '
(G. achadh}. Very old church of St B. here. He it
was who made the famous seven years' voyage ; friend
of St Columba.

BIKXIEKXOWE C?Ayrsh.). As above, or pcrh. N. bjurn, a
bear, + knoice, Sc. form of O.K. ctioll, N. JmoII, a knoll
or hillock.

BIRREXSWARK HILL (Annandale). First part doubtful, cf.
the Broch of Burrian, Orkney; icork (O.K. wore), as in
' outwork,' often means a fortification.



PLACE-NAMES OF SCOTLAND. 35

BIRSAY (Orkney), c. 1050, Birgisherad; <:. 1225, Orkney.
Sag., ditto. This is O.X. for 'hunting territory;' <-f.
HARRAY. Here the Juris of Orkney lived.

BIRSE (Aboyne). 1170, Brass. G. bra*, rash, impetuous as
of a torrent. For transposed r, cf. Sc. Ivirsty, and Eng.
Christie, &e.

BIKTHWOOD (Big-gar). Peril, fr. Icel. byrfti, a board, 'wood
fr. Avhich planks Avere got.' Berth is quite a recent
word, and purely nautical. Of., too, Tusser's Husband r;/,
of date 1573, p. G2, ed. 1878, 'In tempest . . .
warm barth under hedge is a sucker to beast.' But
the origin of barth is unknown to Dr Murray.

BISIIOPBRIGGS (Glasgow). ' Lands or rigs of the bishop ' of
Glasgow. Rig is Sc. for ridge (or furrow), O.K. Itrycy,
Jirif'k, Icel. hryggr, Dan. ryg, a ridge, lit. the back. The
b has crept in through confusion with Sc. brig, a bridge.

BISHOPTON (Renfrew). Also referring to the Bishop of Glas-
gow. In England usually Bishopston.

BIXTER ("Wulls, Shetland). Might be 'brook-place,' fr. O.N.
bekkr, Sw. bade, a beck or brook, +-ter, fr. bolstaftr.
See p. Ixiv.

BLACKBURN (Bathgate, Liddesdale, Aberdeen). Liddes. B.,
c. 1160, Blachaburne. Its Celtic equivalent is DOUGLAS.

BLACKFORU (Edinburgh and Perthsh.). Also <. 1240, in
Chartul. Moray, Blakeford.

BLACKBALL (Midlothian), BLACKHILLS (Aberdeen), ULACKXESS
(Linlithgow, <:. 1200, Blackenis), BLACKRIDGE (Bath-

gate).

BLACKSBOAT (Craigellachie). ' Boat' enters into many names of
ferries in this region. 'Boat of Forbes, Garten, Inch,' &c.

BLACKSHIELS (Edinburgh). On Sc. #/iiel*, 'group of huts or

houses,' see p. Ix.

BLACKWATERFOOT (Arran). Three Black waters in England.
BLACKWOOD (Lesmahagow and Xithsdale).

BLADXOCH (Wigtown). 1563, Blaidroo. G. bladh (or blaidh)
-an-achaidh, 'bit of the field.' In Ir. Uadli, blod, bla/j
is a division, partition.



36 PLACE-NAMES OF SCOTLAND.

BLAIKET (Wigtown). 'Black place;' O.K. blaec, Uac ; -et is
prob. just suffix as in thick-et (cf. AIKET). There is a
Blacket Place in Edinburgh. Cf. 'Ecclesiam See. Brigide
de blacket,' temp. Alexander II.

BLAIRADAM (Kinross) ' Plain of Adam ' (the proprietor) ;
G. blar, means a held or plain, and also a battlefield.

BLAIR ATHOLE. Often simply Blair; as above, and see

ATIIOLE.

BLAIR DRUMMOND (Perthsh.).
BLAIRGOWRIE. G. blar-yoibJtrc, plain of the goat (gobhar).

BLAIRHILL (Coatbridge) and BLAIR LODGE (Polmont).
Hybrids.

BLAIRIXGONE (Clackmannan). G. llar-na-goWiainn, 'field of
the smith ' or ' Smithfield.'

BLAIR LOGIE (Stirling). 'Field in the hollow;' G. lay or

laiye.

BLAIRMORE (Firth of Clyde). 'Big plain ;' G. mar, big.
BLAIR'S SMITHY (Aberdeen).

BLAIRVADDICK (Dumbarton), c. 1240, Blarvotych. Prob.
'plain full of cottages;' G. b(Jt)othach, adjective fr. bot/i,
a hut, cottage ; or else ' bushy plain,' fr. G. b(h)adac/t,
fr. bad, a bunch, thicket, grove.

BLALOWAN (Cupar-Fife). G. laile-na-leainltan, ' house among

the elms.'
BLAXEFIELD (Lanark). Prob. ' flowery field ' (see STRATH-

BLANE) ; but "W. blacn is 'source.'

BLANTYRE (Lanark). 1290, Blantire. Peril, 'land at the
source ;' W. llaen + G. tir, land.

BLEBO (Fife). Prob. 1144, Bladebolg; but sic 1570. ? G.
bJad-a-bo7g, ' the mouth of the bag ' or ' womb.'

BLINGERY (Wick), -cry is corrup. of G. airidh, shealing,
hill-hut, as in Assary, Shurrery ; and peril. Bling- (y
soft) is fr. O.If. blekkja, blenkja, to cheat, deceive,
referring to the appearance or site of the place.

BLINKBONNY (Falkirk, Gladsmuir, &c.). Prob. = ' Belle
Yue;' but Auchnabony, Galloway, is fr. G. banbh, a
young pig.



PLACE-NAMES OF SCOTLAND. 37

BLOCHAIRN (Glasgow). Peril. G. blot-chairn, 'the cave or
den of the cairn.'

BLYTHEBRIDGB (Dolphinton). Near to Blyth Hill ; presum-
ably O.E. blifte, 0.iS T . blifir, mild, gentle ; hence joyous,
' blithe ;' but Dr Murray's dictionary has no quotations
referring to a hill or the like.

BOARHILLS (St Andrews), c. 1120, Alexander I. gave Cursus
Apri, or 'boar chase,' to the See of St Andrews;
curious proof of the former existence of the wild boar in
Scotland.

BOAT OF FORBES (on Don), BOAT OP GARTEN (Grantown),
BOAT OF INCH (Kingussie). Names of old ferries ; see
FORBES and INCH. Garten is usually thought fr. G.
garradh, garden ; but might be fr. (/art, standing corn,
or the old word yartan, a bonnet.

BOATH (Forres). Prob. the llth century, Bothguanan ; but
see PITGAVENY. Dr M'Lauchlan says, later syllables
are often dropped, leaving Both (G. for ' house ') alone.
Cf. INVER. Same word as bothy.

BOCHASTLE (S. Perthsh.). G. bo-chaisteal, 'cow castle' or
fort.

BODDAM (Peterhead and S. of Shetland). Prob. 'booth-
home,' temporary abode, fr. M.E. bode, Mod. Eng. booth,
0. Icel. buS, Dan. and Sw. bod, a dwelling or stall,
+ O.E. ham, home, house. There is a Bodham and a
Bodiam in England. Cf. ' bother ' and ' bodder.'

BOGIE (river and strath, Aberdeen). 1187, Strabolgin ;
1335, -bolgy; 1594, Strathbolgie. Same root as the
Irish legendary Firbolg(' bag-men'), fr. Ir. bol;/, a bag or
sack. A ' Bolgyne ' is mentioned in grant of land by
Macbeth. Cf. Cairnbulg, in Aberdeenshire.

BOGLILY (Fife). Perh. just as it stands ; G. and Ir. bog,
which lit. means 'soft,' +O.E. lilie, L. lilium, a lily.

BOGROY (Inverness-sh.). G. bog-ruadh, 'red bog' or clayey
ground.

BOGSIDE (near Alloa, and near Fintry). Also BogTON (Cath-
cart), sic 1384.

BOGUE FELL (Kirkcudbright). G. bog, soft ; fell (see p. Ix).

I



38 PLACE-NAMES OF SCOTLAND.

BOHALLY (L. Rannoch). Prob. G. bo-challaid, ' cow fence '
or hedge ; and cf. CALLY.

BOIIARM (Banff), c. 1220, Boharme ; also Bucharin. Perh.
G. bogh-charn or cairn, ' foot of the cairn.' The liquids
m and n often interchange. Cf. Dum- and Dumbarton,
Dum- and Dunfermline, and L. BROOM.

BOISDALB (loch and parish, Outer Hebrides), c. 1400, Boys-
dale ; 1427, Baegastallis ; 1549, Baghastill. Prob. K
bui (pron. boy), 'a goblin, tenant of a tomb,' + dfil,
dale, of which toll is a corruption. Can Baega be
St Begha ? See KILBUCHO.

BOLD (Peeblessh.). Old, Boild ; G. bo allt, 'cow river.'
Cf. Oxford.

BOLESKINE (Foyers). G. poll eas churnJian (pron. kuin),
' pool of the narrow waterfall,' i.e., Fall of Foyers.

BOLTON (Haddingtonsh.). c. 1200, Botheltune, Boteltune,
Boweltun; 1250, Boultun ; 1297, Boltone. O.K. butl-
tvn, 'dwelling, enclosure,' i.e., a collection of houses, a
village ; influenced by O.N. bol, a house, dwelling-place
(see p. Ixiv). At least nine Boltons in England. Cf.

MOREBATTLE, BoDDAM, and BOTHWELL.

BONALLY (Edinburgh). G. bonn-aill or aZ7, 'foot of the
rock ' or cliff.

BONAR BRIDGE (Sutherland). 1275, Bunnach ('foot of the
field'). G. bortn dird, 'foot of the height.'

BONCHESTER BRIDGE (Hawick) and BONCHESTER HlLL

(Abbotrule). Early history unknown. L. bunus, Fr.
bon, good, + O.E. carter, adapted fr. L. castra, a camp.
Though England is full of -chestcrs and -casters, this is
perh. the only Scottish instance.

BO'NESS, or BOBROWSTOUNNESS. 1783, Boness ; in 1745 is
found Borroustoun, N.\V. of Kirkintilloch, and in 1538,
ibid., Reay ; fine example of contraction. The original
village of Borrowstoun is a mile inland fr. the ness and
seaport. The full form was a common name for a Sc.
municipal borough (O.E. burg, fort, ' shelter-place '), and
Borough-town is still used in Ireland. Burrows-toun
(in Ormin, c. 1 200, ' burrghess tun ') is used as an



PLACE-NAMES OF SCOTLAND. 39

ordinary Sc. word by Henryson, Allan Ramsay, and
even Scott (Antiquary, ch. xxvi.).

BOXHILL (Alexandria), c. 1270, r>uthelullo ; c. 1320, Buch-
nwl ; c. 1350, Bullul. Good example of corruption.
Difficult to explain; first part either O.K. hot/, M.E.
botht'l, a dwelling, see BOLTOX ; or G. both, cottage, or
bof/h, boiin, ban, the foot or bottom ; and latter part
prob. fr. G. allt, gen. ?'///, a river. If so, Bonhill
may mean ' the low ground by the stream.'

BOXKLE (Lanarksh.). 1290, Bonkil. G. ban or lonn-clioill,
'the foot of the wood' (cf. BUNKLE). There is a place
near Falkirk always called 'The Foot of the Wood.'

BOXXIXGTOX (Leith, Ratho, Lanark, Peebles, and Renfrew).
(12U 6, Bonigtone, England). Peebles B., c. 1380, Bou-
nestonn. Leith B., old, Bonny toun. Lanark B., 1776,
Boniton. 'Bonny' or 'pretty place ' (cf. Beaulieu); bonie
is found in Eng. c. 1300, doubtful if fr. Er. bun, bonne,
good. On -iny bef. ton, cf. p. Ixxvi.

BONNYBRIDGE (Falkirk) and BOXXYRIGG (Dalkeith). See
above ; on -riyy, cf. BISHOPBEIGGS and L. dorstun.

BOXSKIED (Pitlochry). Local pron. Baunskiid, also 1'own-
sktitch. G. bun, or lionn xgaoul, 'low place with, the
blackthorns,' or fr. syeod, and so, ' the foot or lower
part of the triangular bit of ground ' (between R.
Tummel and GlenfLncastle Burn). Former is favoured
by Rev. R. \\ r . Barbour, the late proprietor, anil by the
parallel Baunskeha (Ir. sceacli, haw or thorn), Kilkenny;
the latter by Mr A. J. Stewart of Moneydie. The great
local authority, Mr M'Lean of Pitilie, expresses himself
doubtful.

BORELAXU, or BORLAND (Perth and Biggar, and often in
Galloway). ' Board or mensal land,' land held on the,
rental of a food-supply ; O.K., Sw., and ])an. bord, a
board, shelf, table ; O.X. borft, plank, table, maintenance
at table, ' board.'

BORGUE (Kirkcudbright and Caithness). O.X., Sw., and
Dan. bury, O.K. bury, bur/i, a fort, 'shelter-place,' a
' burgh.' The diminutive Borgan is found in Minigafi'
parish.



40 PLACE-NAMES OF SCOTLAND.

BORLICK (Perthshire). Prob. G. mlior lag, ' big hollow ; ' cf.
VOIRLICH.

BOBLUM (Urquhart). Corruption of BORELAND ; so says
Professor M'Kinnon.

BORNISH (S. Uist). X. borfj-nis, ' ness or cape with the fort '
(see BORGUE) ; n is is common West Coast form of Icel.
nes, Dan. uttaa, lit. a nose.

BOROUGHMUIRIIEAD (Edinburgh). See BO'NESS and BORGUE;
muir = moor, U.K. and Dan. inor.

BORRERAIG (Dunvegan). Prob. X. lorgar-aiy, castle-bay (cf.
BURRA). On aiy, see ASCAIG.

BORROBOL (Sutherland). Prob. X. bory-bol, ' fort place,'
fortress. On bol, see p. Ixiv.

BORRODALE (Ardnamurchan). As above, + X. dal, dale,
glen. Cf. Birgidale, Bute.

BORTHWICK (Midlothian and Roxburgh). Midi. B., sic
1430. Prob. O.K. bnrh, bury, M.E. bnrJt, fort, + tcic,
place, village ; thus B. = Castleton. Cf. Borwick, near
Carnforth.

BORVA, or BORVE (Lewis). Another corruption of X. borg,
a fort. Cf. BORGUE.

BOSWELLS, St (Melrose). 1296, 'William de Boseville.' Fr.
Boisil, Prior of Melrose, c. 650, and preceptor of the
great Cuthbert ; -well arises through influence of Xorm.
suffix ville, or vil, 'town' (cf. MAXWELLTON). The
name of the parish till 17th century was Lessuden
(Lessedwyn).

BOTHKENNAR (Grangemouth). 1291, -ner. G. l>ofh-ceann-iar,
' hut or house on the western promontory ' (ceann, a
head).

BOTHWBLL. a. 1242, Botheuill ; a. 1300, Bothvile, -wile;
c. 1340, -euyle. Prob. G. both, hut, house, + Xorm. Fr.
ville (L. villa}, village or farm. Cf. Maxwell = Maccus'-
ville ; and for similar formations, cf. BODDAM, and
BOLTOX.

BOTRIPIINIE (Keith). Possibly G. bot ribhinne, 'house of
the beautiful woman.'



PLACE-NAMES OF SCOTLAND. 41

BOURD, BEX-Y- (Ben Macdhui). G. be inn na bu/rd, 'table

mountain ; ' G. bord, a ' board ' or table.
BOURTIE (Aberdeen). Old, Bourdyn. G. buar dun, 'cattle

hill.'
BOURTRIEBUSH (Aberdeen). Sc. for ' elder-bush ; ' M.E.

burtre, further origin unknown.
BOUST (Coll). X. bolstaSr, place (see p. Ixiv). Cf. Colbost

Skea&cwtf, &c.

BOWDEX (Melrose and Torphichen). Tor. B. may be Mons
JBadonis, scene of one of King Arthur's battles ; at least
Dr Guest has proved it cannot be Bath. But early forms
of Melr. B. hardly countenance this 1124, Bothendene ;
c. 1150, Bouldene ; c. 1250, Bowelden ; with these cf.
forms of BOLTON and BOXHILL. Prob. G. both-an-duin
(W. din}, 'house on the hill;' if so, not the same word
as Great Bowdeii Market Harborough.

BOWER (Wick), c. 1230, Bouer. O.X. Mr, Dan. luur, O.E.
bur, ' house ; ' same root as our ' bower ' and ' byre.'

BOWHILL (Selkirk, and Colvend, Galloway). Sir H. Maxwell
thinks, G. buachaill (pron. boghel), boy, lit. cowherd,
name often given in Ir. to standing stones. But as
likely fr. Sc. bow, the O.X. bit, farm, farm stock, cattle.
Bu is found in Eng. a. 1300 in the Cursor Mundi,
6744.

BOWHOUSE (Polmont). ' Cattle house.' See above.

BOWLAXD (Galashiels). Prob. ' cattle-land,' but some think
corruption of BOR(E)LAXP.

BOWLING (Dumbarton). Uncertain ; possibly bowling or
boiling (fr. bole, trunk), old word for ' a pollard ' (tree).
Cf. Bowling Bank, Wrexham, and Bowling Old Lane,
Bradford, and BUTT OP LEWIS.

BOWMORE (Islay). Prob. G. bat mor, 'big mound or house.'

Bow OF FIFE. So called fr. its shape ; fr. O.E. boga, Dan.
bue, a bow.

BOWPRIE (Aberdour, Eife). 1320, Beaupre, which is Fr
for ' line meadow.' Cf. BEAULY.

BOYXAG, or BYXACK, BURN (Crathie). Prob. G. bonnag, 'a
jump, a spring.'



42 PLACE-NAMES OF SCOTLAND.

BOYNDIE (Banff), c. 1170, charter, church of lavet-bondin.
Prob. G. bonn duin, 'the foot of the hill.'

BOYNE (Banff). G. bo, gen. boinc, a cow. Of. ABOYNE.

BRACADALE (Skye). 1498, Bracadoll. Prob. G. breacachadh,
'spotted field, ' + X. dal, dale, valley.

BRACARA (Arisaig). Perh. G. breac cam, ' spotted, mottled
haunch ' (of the hill).

BRACKLIXX FALLS (Callander). G. breac linne, 'speckled,
foamy pool,' W. lynn.

BRACO (Dunblane and Crudcn). The a pron. as in fate ;
prob. G. brcac achadh, ' spotted, speckled field.' Cf.
ARDOCH ; here the ch is lost by aspiration.

BRAEHEAD (Lanark, c.). O.X. frra = O.E. braeti; brr'aw,
the eyelid ; a brae is properly the steep bank of a river
(' banks and braes o' bonnie l)oon '); + head, O.E. heafod.

BRAEMAR. 1560, The Bray of Marre ; map, 1654, Brae of
MAR. See above ; but in Highland names rather
through the G. form, braiyh, 'the upper part,' then a
' brae ' or slope.

BRAES, The (Skye), also BRAE (Lerwick). See above; latter
certainly fr. O.X. bra, former either through X. or G.

BRAID (Edinburgh). 1165, Brade. G. and Ir. braghaid or
bragliad, neck, gulley; or fr. G. h'dghad, gen. of braif/Jt,
the upper part, a brae. In the former case referring to
glen where Hermitage of Braid now is, and = Braid R.,
Antrim, in the latter to the Braid Hills.

BRAIDWOOD (Lanark). Braid is Sc. for broad ; O.E. brad.

BRAIGO (Islay). Prob. the ' brae goe ' or inlet (cf. BRAE-
HEAD). Goe is the Icel. f/ja.

BRAN, Falls of (Dunkeld). a. 1200, Strathbranen. Prob.
G. braon, drizzling rain, a shower. Bran was the name
of FingaFs dog; and O.Ir. bran is a raven, as in
Brankill.

BRANDEU (L. Awe). G. Brati dob/tar or dur, 'the dog
Bran's water.'

BBANDBRBURGH (part of Lossiemouth). See above ; and cf.

BoRGUE.



PLACE-NAMES OF SCOTLAND. 43

BRAXXHOLM (Ha wick), a. 1400, Brancheshelm. Branks is
prob. a man's name (cf. next). The Eng. branch, Fr.
brunch e, is found in Robert of Gloucester, 1299 ; + O.E.
and Dan. holm, small island in a river, Icel. holmr,
island ; also applied to rich land by a river's side. Of.
Branksome, Bournemouth.

BRAXXTOX (Coldstream). 1291, Brankistone. Prob. as
above, + ton, O.K. tun, place, village.

BRAWL (Strath y, Thurso). c. 1375, Brathwell. G. brath is
information, betraying, treason, and brath is a quern,
handmill ; -well is hardly O.E. well, wella, a well ; peril.
G. mheall, a bare, round hill.

BREADALBAXE (Perthsh.). G. Brayad or Brac/et Albainn,
upper part or ' hill district of Alban ' or Scotland (cf.
BBAEMAR). This is prob. the Brunalban of Pict. Cliron.,
c. 970, the east slope or brae of Drumalban (the great
dividing ridge of Scotland) ; while in same Chron.
Brunhere or Bruneire (G. iar, west) is probably the
west side. Brun is an old word for a bank or slope or
brae (cf. BRUAX). Alban did not include Argyle.

BREAKACHY (Beauly, Kincraig, and Caithness). Cf. Charter
re Don Valley, c. 1170, l Brea.ichath quod interpretatur
campus distinctis coloribus.' G. breac ac/tadh, 'spotted
or mottled field ; ' one of the very few cases where the
second syllable of acha/IJi is still represented in a place-
name ; cf. 1297, Garviagha or GARIOCH.

BREAKISII (Broadford). Perh. G. breac innis, 'spotted

island or meadow.'
BRECHIX. Pron.Breehin. Pict. Chron., ann. 966,Magnacivitas

Brechne (gen. case) c. 1375, Breachyn. Perh. G. breac

abhuinn, 'spotted or foamy river' (the S. Esk ; cf.

METHVEX) ; or possibly fr. a man, Brachan or Brychan.

Cf. Skene, Celtic Scot/., ii. 36, ed. 1887.

BREICII (Holytown). G. breac, speckled, or perh. breach,
the brim, brink.

BRERACHAX GLKX (Pitlochry). Also spelt Briarachan ; c.
13'.)'2, Glenbrerith. Prob. G. brathair ac/ianna, 'friar's
(lit. brother's) fields ; ' -ith may be G. atli, a ford.

BRESSAY (Shetland). Perh. O.X. brestr-mj, 'island of the



44 PLACE-NAMES OF SCOTLAND.

crack' or 'burst;' or fr. O.N. brjust, Sw. Jn'ost, and so,
'island like a breast.'

BRIDGEXESS (Bo'ness). Pron. Brignes, no bridge here ; prob.
G. brcac, spotted, + ness.

BRIDGE OF ALLAN, DEE, Dux, EARX, ROY, TURK, WEIR, q.v.

BRIMS or BRIXS NESS (Thurso). 1559, Brymmis. O.N. and
O.E. brim, surf, or the sea ; s is the Mod. Eng. pi.

BROADFORD (Skye). ' Broad frith ' or fjord ; Sw. and Dan.
bred fiord. Cf. Strangford Lough.

BRODICK (Arran). c. 1306, Brathwik ; 1488, Bradewik.
O.N. breifir vik, 'broad bay;' broad in 13th and 14th
century Eng. was braff(e).

BRODIE (Nairn). Sic 1311; 1380, Brothie. Prob. G.
brothach, muddy. Cf. ARBROATH; and on d and th, cf.
BODDAM.

BROGAR (Stennis). Perh. M.E. brod r/'irtJi, 'broad yard' or
garden; or fr. O.N. bra, the eyelid, a brae.

BROOKLAXDS (Kirkcudbright). Also near Manchester. O.E.
broc, a brook.

BROOM (loch in west of Ross, and Pitlochry). Loch B., 1227,
Braon ; 1569, Breyne ; 1573, Brune ; 1586, Brume.
G. braon, ' drizzling rain, dew.' M and n often inter-
change.

BROOMHILL (Lenzie and Inverness), BROOMHOUSE (Lanark),
BROOMLEE (Dolphinton). Fr. O.E. bruin, broom, same
root as bramble; lee is O.E. h'ah, pasture, fallow-land.

BROOMIEKXOWE (Lasswade), and BROOMIELAW (Glasgow).
' Broom-clad hill ' (see KXOWE) ; Sc. Jaw is O.E.
hldew, a hill. 1325, Bromilaw. Dr Murray gives no
quotation for 'broomy ' a. 1649.

BRORA (Golspie). 1542, Broray. ' Bridge river ;' O.N. biii,
Dan. and Sw. bro, gen. l>roc.i\ a bridge, anil mi, a river.
Once the only important bridge in Sutherland was here.

BROUGII (Thurso, also Brough Ness, S. Ronaklsay, and Brough
of Birsay, an islet). Thurso li, 1506, Brucht. By
common transposition of r fr. O.N. and Dan. bory = O.E.
burh, a castle, fort, a 'broch' (cf. BORGUE and BURG-



PLACE-XAMES OF SCOTLAND. 45

HEAD). There is a Brough in Yorks., near Kirby
Stephen.

BROUGHTOX (village now part of Edinburgh, and near Biggar).
Edinb. B., c. 1145, Broctuna ; c. 1200, Brouh tune ; then
Bruchton, Avhich is still the vulgar pron. Prob. as
above, + O.E. tun, village. Of course, O.E. broc is a
badger.

BROUGHTY (Dundee). 1629, Bruchtie. Prob. G. bruacli-taibb ,
'bank of the Tay,' or possil)ly 'brink of the ocean.' G.
Tabh means either, and the site well admits of either
meaning. Perh. = BROUGH TAY.

BROXBURX (Bathgate) and BROXMOUTH (Dunbar). c. 1100,
Broccesmuthe. 'Brock's burn' ami 'month;' O.E.,
G., and Ir. bror, a badger. Of. Brockly, Kinross, and
Broxbourne, Herts.

BRUAX (AVick). Old G. for ' a bank.' See BREADALBAXE.

BRUAR, Falls of (Blair Atliole). Mr M'Lean, Pitilie, recog-
nises here no G. root, and Prof. Rhys nothing Brythonic.
Possibly there is some connection with W. br/rtJt, stir,
tumult, or AY. friu, flow, as in RENFREW. But B. is
hardly in a Brythonic region.

BRUCKLAY (Xew Deer), c. 1220, Brachlie ; 1654, Bruclaw.
Perh. fr, G. brarh, a bear, afterwards confused with G.
and O.E. broc, a badger; hence G. broclwh and bmcluidh,
a warren, 'badger's den,' cavern. Cf. Brockly, Kinross,
and Brockley, Cavan.

BRUICHLADDICH (Argyle). G. bruacli cJtla'laich, 'bank on
the shore ' or stony beach.

BRUXTOX (Cupar). Obi, Bryantonn, after some Xorman.

BRYDEKIRK (Annan). Same as KILBRIDK and LHAXBRYDE,
' Church of St Brigida' or Bridget, contemporary of St
Patrick.

BUACHAILL (Stafta) and liuAcriAiu, EITE (L. Etive). G.,
'The Shepherd of Etive,' fr. bo-ijliilli>, cow-herd.

BUCCLEUCH (St Clary's Loch), a. 1600, Bockclcugh, Buck-
clench. 'Buck's glen/ fr. O.E. bur, O.X. bulckr, Dan.
buli, male of the he-goat or fallow-deer, 4- Sc. cbnujh



46 PLACE-NAMES OF SCOTLAND.

Eng. donglt, O.E. deofa, a cleft, ravine, gorge. Cf.
Walter Scott's Gandercleuch.

BUCHAN (Aberdeen and Minigaff). Abdn 13., sic in Bit. Deer,
a. 1000; c. 1295, Bouwan ; 1601, Baugham. Peril. G.
baoghan, a calf; but Minig. B., like Eohaun, Galway,
is fr. G. botlian (pron. boliun), 'a little hut.'

BUCHANAN (S. of L. Lomond). c. 1240, Buchquhanane ;
1296, Boughcanian. Prob. G. bor/h cltanun, 'low ground
(lit. foot) belonging to the canon.'

BUCHANTY (on E. Almond). Possibly Ptolemy's Bcniatia ;
as it stands looks like G. buylt an Hi; 'low part of the
land.'

BUCHLYVIE (Aberfoyle), also EASTER and WESTER BUCHLYVIE
(Aberdour, Fife). Aberd. B., aid, Boclavies ; possibly
G. bo/jh lamhaich, 'low place of gleaning.'

BUCKET (trib. of R. Don). 1654, Buchet. 1 G. bucaid, a
bucket, pimple, knob.

BUCKHAVEN (Leven). Founded c. 1555; said to be fr. G.
beuc, a roar, ' roaring, stormy haven;' O.E. liaj'en, Dan.
havn.

BUCKHOLMSIDE (Galasliiels). ' Buck's pasture.' See Buc-
CLEUCH and BRANXHOLM.

BUCKIE (Banff). G. beucacJi, noisy, roaring, fr. beuc, a roar,
especially of the sea ; here, too, is Buckpool.

BUDDON XESS (Barry). Prob. same as Bodden Point, near
Montrose, which is prob. G. both dun, ' hut hill ; ' for
hardening of tit, cf. BODDAM.

BUITTLE (Castle-Douglas). 1296, Botel (peril, not this B.) ;
1572, Butill. Prob. O.E. botl=O.X. lol (for hfil), a
dwelling, spelt a. 1200 buttle, found in IS"EWBATTLE, old
Newbotil, &c. Cf. Bootle, Liverpool.

BULLERS OF BUCHAN (Peterliead). A raging, rocky recess, in
Avhich the sea boils as in a cauldron. Sw. btiller, noise,
roar, Dan. bidder, tumbling noise. G. Douglas in 1513
uses this as a Sc. word, bullyer.

BUXAVEN (Islay). G. bun na-lfablniinn, 'foot or mouth of
the river.'



PLACE-NAMES OF SCOTLAND. 47

BUXAVOULIX (Morven). ' At the foot or end of the mill ;' G.
bun-na-mhuileain.

BUXA\VE (Argyle), or BOXAWE. 'Drouth (G. bun, bomi) of
the R. AWE.'

BUXCHREW (Inverness). ' Low place with the garlic or
leeks;' G. and Ir. cre/u/Jt (cf. Cloncrew, Limerick), or
fr. G. craeblt, (pron. crc'/c], a tree.

BUXESSAX (Mull). ' At the foot of the little waterfall ;' G.
ea#an. Of. ]\Ioressan, Aherfoyle.

BUXKLE (Berwickshire) = BOXKLE.

BUXRAXXOCII. 'Lower part' or 'reaches (G. him) of Ran-
noch.'

BUXROY. ' Red end ; ' G. ruadlt. Cf. Bogroy.

BURDIEHOUSE (Edinhiirgh). Always said to he 'liordeanx
liouse,' fr. some Fr. settlers ; but who these were history
does not record.

BURGIIEAU (Elgin). G pron. hard ; site of a borg (see BORGUE)
built by the ]N"orse c. 880. They called the cape



BURGIE (Moraysh.). c. 1240, Burgyn. Perh. O.K. Ityrycn ;
later buri>->i, a tomb. In Sc. hurian is now a tumulus
or hill-fort.

BURX OF CAMIJUS. O.K. lurnu, O.^X. Lnmnr, a burn or brook,
lit. a spring or fountain; also in Mod. L., 'v/., c. 1160,


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 10 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Online LibraryJames B. (James Brown) JohnstonPlace-names of Scotland → online text (page 10 of 26)