Copyright
James Christie Whyte.

History of the British turf : from the earliest period to the present day online

. (page 19 of 33)
Online LibraryJames Christie WhyteHistory of the British turf : from the earliest period to the present day → online text (page 19 of 33)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


50 sovs. each, h. ft. for three yrs. old colts, 8st.
71b. ; and fillies, Sst. 21b. ; last mile and half; the
owner of the second horse to receive 100 sovs.
out of the stakes ; and the winner to pay 100
sovs. towards the expense of additional police
officers ; stakes to be made to Messrs. Weatherby
in London.

Thursday. — Sweepstakes of 10 sovs. each, with
50 added for two yrs. old colts, 8st. 61b. ; fillies,
8st. 31b. ; new T. Y. C, the winner to be sold
for 200 sovs. To close on the entrance day.

Friday. — A renewal of the Oaks stakes, 50 sovs.
each, h. ft. for three yrs. old, fillies 8st. 41b. ; all
other conditions as for the Derby.

Sweepstakes of 100 sovs. each, h. ft. colts,
Sst. 71b. ; filUes Sst. 41b. ; then two yrs. old ;



BRITISH TURF. .321

new T. Y. C. those got by untried stallions, or cut
of untried mares to be allowed 3lb. ; but only one
allowance. To close and name to Messrs. Weath-
erby, or Mr. Farrall, or before the 25th. of March
1839.

Guilford.— On the river Wey, 30 miles (S. W.)
from London, and containing 3,1()1 inhabitants.
The races at this place have fallen into insignifi-
cance, the only stake mentioned in the racing
calender, run for here annually during the last
two years, being her Majesty's plate of 100 gs.

Reigate. — This town is beautifully situated on a
branch of the river Mole, on the high road, from
London to Brighton; 19 miles (E.) from Guilford,
and 21 (S. by W.) from London. The races here
take place about the first week in June, and con-
tinue two days, daring w^hich the following plates
and stakes are run for, viz : — The Gold cup, value
100 gs. — The Surrey plate, value 100 gs. ; the
Reigate Gold cup, 100 gs. ; the Reigate hunting
Gold cup, of the same value.

SUSSEX.

Brighton, or Brighthelmstone. — A town on the
sea-coast, in the hundred of Whalesbone and cape
Lewis, 52 miles from London. This town was a
small fishing place till 1784 ; but since that period,
by the mere force of fashion and royal patronage,
it has grown up to be a populous and luxurious

VOL. I. y



322 HISTORY OF THE

city. It is built under the shelter of the South-
down hills, which protect it from the northern and
eastern blasts. Splendid squares and parades have
been built, besides hotels, club-houses, and other
establishments, for the purpose of amusement.
Hence it has become the resort of the idle, the
invalid and the fashionable, as w^ell in the winter
as the summer season. — It boasts also of a Royal
Palace, called the Pavilion, at which our recent
Sovereigns have never failed to pass some part of
the winter. In 1821, the population of this fa-
shionable watering place, amounted to 24,429 ; but
such has been the increase since that period,
that it is at present estimated at little short of
50,000 in the season.

The races take place in the beginning of August,

and continue three days. — The course, which is on

Brighton downs, about a mile and a half from the

town, is railed in, and well kept, and affords every

accommodation to the numerous and fashionable

visitors ; the stand is capable of containing 500

spectators. Its height above the sea, is 384

feet ; and from it may be seen the Isle of Wight,

with many other beautiful objects. On White

Hawke hill, near the race course, on which a

signal tower has been erected, are the remains of

an ancient fortification ; and on HoUingsbury hill,

about tW'O miles north of the town, are vestiges

of a large circular encampment in which are several



BRITISH TURF. 323

tumuli. In 1750, ao urii coutaiaing 1000 silver
denarii, of the emperor from Antoninus Pius to
Philip, was found near this spot.

The following is a list of the principal plates and
stakes run for over this course : viz : — The Brigh-
ton stakes of 25 sovs. each with 100 added. The
the town plate of 50 sovs. The Sussex plate of 50
sovs. Her Majesty's Gold cup, value 100 sovs.
The Sussex plate of 50 sovs. and a Handicap plate
of 40 sovs. It is remarkable, that the borough
members do not contribute anv stake at these
races.

Goodwood. — The seat of his grace the Duke of
Richmond, near Chichester. This domain was
purchased in 1720, of the family of Compton, by
Charles, the first Duke of Richmond, as a hunting
seat, and for occasional resort ; but having been
greatly enlarged and modernized, it became the
chief residence of that noble family. Its present
grandeur and extent, with appendages in a style of
unusual nagnificence, are chiefly due to the second
Duke of Richmond, who dedicated his leisure and
ample fortune to plans of improvement, both in
planting and building, which were designed and
brought to perfection during the last forty years of
his life.

The great addition in the former mansion was
begun 1800. It is a principal front, which ex-
tends 166 feet, has a colonade of two orders in its
centre for entrance, and is terminated by circular

Y 2



324 HISTORY OF THE

towers, with hemispherical roofs. From each of
these a front of 106 feet, towards the east and
south, stands upon an angle of 45 degrees. This
elevation is imposing in its effect, from the large
space it occupies. The building is composed of
squarred flint-stones, of the neatest masonry, and
the whole architectural design originated with the
noble founder, who superintended the execution.
At his death in 1806 much of the interior remained
to be completed.

This spacious structure has great advantage of
situation, at the base of rich woodland, and a range
of downs, and is surrounded by the Park, where
forest trees of remarkable dimensions and beautv
are abundantly scattered. From different parts of
the park, the general aspect of the country is very
beautiful ; an effect arising from the inequality of
the surface, the diversity of the scenery (of which
the leading features are the English channel, Chi-
chester spire and the Isle of Wight,) and the varie-
ty of the verdure in the foreground. Towards the
north, the surface becomes irregular, and partakes
of the pleasing character of landscape, peculiar to
the neighbouring chalk downs, with their wooded
acclivities. The whole circuit of the park, which
contains 2000 acres, is enclosed by a lofty flint
wall. Many of the knolls and bays into which the
downs are broken, are clothed with plantations of
fir and beech, to the extent of some hundreds of
acres.



BRITISH TURF. 325

Of the interior of Goodwood house, the most
striking object is a colonnade in the vestibule, or
entrance hall. This room is divided by six pillars
of Guernsey granite, of a light grey colour, the
shafts being 13 feet high, with a diameter of one
foot 7 inches. Tbe dining room and library are
splendidly fitted up with designs from the antique.
The picture gallery, which is 86 by 24 feet, among
others, contains valuable paintings by Vandyke,
Leley, Battoni, Gainsborough, &c. &c., besides
several landscapes with portraits of celebrated
horses, by Stubbs. The stables and offices, west-
ward of the house, and perhaps rather too near
to it, form a handsome quadrangular building, in-
ferior to few, if any in the kingdom. The stables
were began 1757, and finished in six years, from a
design of Sir William Chambers. The dog kennel,
which is said to have cost £25,000, is both for ex-
tent, and singular arrangment, unequalled by any
other in England ; it was designed, and built by
James Watts. Among the curiosities of Goodwood,
is the lion carved in wood, which adorned the
head of Commodore Anson's ship the Centurian,
during his circumnavigation of the globe. It is set
up on a stone pedestal, with the following hues in-
scribed on it.

Stay, traveller, awhile and view
One who has travelled more than you ;
Quite round the globe, in each degree,
Anson, and I, have ptoughed the sea f



32(j HISTORY OF THE

Torid and frigid zones have past,
And safe ashore arrive J at last.
In ease and dignity appear ;
He in the House of Lords, I here.

Every year seems to add to the consequence, and
increase the popularity, of Goodwood races ;* for
the four days' sport of the present season, 1839,
contained a succession of stakes of greater intrinsic
value, and producing greater excitement in the
sporting world, than those of any preceding year.
These races take place about the end of July, or the
beginning of August, and continue four days. In
addition to the grand stand, several others are pro-
vided for the accommodation of the numerous visi-
tors, among whom is included a long hst of nobili-
ty, many of whom partake of the hospitality of the
Noble Duke, during the race week.

The following are the length of the different
courses.

C. C. — Cup Course, horses run out to the WTst
of the clump, and return to the east ; two miles
and three quarters.

D. S. C. — Drawing Room Stakes Course. Once
round, to the west of the clump ; about two miles
and a quarter.

T. Y. C— Is the straight three quarters of a
mile.



* Goodwood races were estabhshed in 1S03, upon the Earl of Egve-
mont giving up the races in his park, at Petv/orth



BRITISH TURF. 32?

Half a mile.— Is the last half mile of T. Y. C.

The Queen's Plate course. — The horses start on
the Charlton Down, to the north-west of the stand ;
run over to the east of the clump, go the outside
circle of the hill, and return to the east of the
clump : about three miles, and five furlongs.

Two miles, one mile and three quarters, one mile
and a half, and one mile, is, unless specified to the
contrary, run on theD. S. C.

The following regulations, which are strictly en-
forced at these races, are well worthy of general
adoption, viz : —

No trainers or jockies will be permitted to ride
their hacks upon the race course during the race ;
and every jockey or trainer so offending, will be
fined £5 for each offence. All horses to be saddled
in front of the grand stand, or else to be rode past
the grand stand, at least once before going to the
starting post. In order that there may be no contest
among the jockeys, for places at starting, they are
required to take their places numbering from the
right, and will draw lots for their numbers out of a
bag, to be provided by Mr. Clarke,^ at the time of
weighing. Mr Clarke will write down the name of
each jockey opposite the number, on a list kept
for the purpose, and the list will be given to the
starter, who will tell off the jockeys in their proper
places, before calling them up to start. Any joc-

* The Judge of Newmarket.



328 HISTORY OF THE

key taking a wrong place to be fined £5. The
starter to have authority to order any jockey riding
a restive or vicious horse, to drop out of his place,
and start at the extreme left of the line.

First Day, 1839. —The Craven Stakes of 10 sovs.
each ; three yrs. old, 7st. ; four, 8st. 41b. ; five,
8st. 101b. ; six and aged, 8st. 12lb, ; one mile
and a quarter. To close and name at the Good-
wood House Stables before dinner the day before
running.

The Levant Stakes of 50 sovs. each, 30 ft. ; for
two yrs. old colts, 8st. 71b. ; and fillies, 8st. 31b. ;,
the winner of the July or Chesterfield stakes, or
either of the two yrs. old stakes at Ascot, to carry
51b. extra ; half a mile.

The Drawing-room Stakes of 25 sovs. each,
with a bonus by an independent subscription of
10 sovs. each ; non-subscribers to the bonus can-
not be members of the sweepstakes ; but a sub-
scriber to one bonus is entitled to name one horse
to the sweepstakes not his own property, or any
number of horses bona fide his own property ; for
three yrs. old colts, 8st. 71b. ; and fillies, 8st. 21b. ;
the whinner of the Derby or Oaks to carry 81b.
extra ; the second horse for either, 41b. extra ;
once round. Drawing-room Stakes Course ; the
second horse to receive 100 sovs. out of the stakes.
The whinner to pay 25 sovs. to the judge.

Sweepstakes of 300 sovs. each, h. ft. ; colts, 8st.
71b. ; fillies, 8st. 21b. ; to run at four yrs. old ;



BRITISH TURF. 329

the King's plate course, about three miles and
three quarters.

Second Day. — The Goodwood Stakes of 25 sovs.
each. 15 ft. and only 5 if declared on or before the
second Tuesday after the Ascot Meeting ; the
winner of any class of the Gloucestershire, Somer-
setshn^e, or Tradesmen's cup at Liverpool July
Meeting, to carry 51b. extra ; of any two of these
stakes 71b. extra ; the second horse to receive 50
sovs. from the stakes ; cup course. Three to ac-
cept or no race. To close and name to Messrs.
Weatherby on the Tuesday after Epsom. The
weights to be declared the Monday after Ascot.

The Cowdray Stakes of 25 sovs. each ; for two
yrs. old, 7st., and three, 9st. 21b. ; f. allowed 31b. ;
the winner to be sold for 150 sovs. if demanded,
&c., T. Y. C.

Third Day. — The Racing Stakes of 50 sovs.
each, for three yrs. old colts, 8st. 71b., and fillies,
8st. 41b. ; the winner of the July, Clearwell, Cri-
terion, or Prendergast stakes, to carry 31b. extra ;
of either the Riddlesworth, Column, Newmarket^
2000 gs., lOOOgs., or Drawing-room Stakes, and the
winner of the St. James's Palace stakes, and 100
sovs. produce stakes at Ascot, to carry 61b. extra ;
a winner of both Derby and drawing-room stakes
to carry 121b. extra; the new mile.

The Molecomb Stakes of 50 sovs. each, h. ft. ;
for two yrs. old colts, 8st. 71b., and fillies, 8st. 41b.;
T. Y. C. ; a winner before starting (matches and



330 HISTORY OF TPIE

handicaps excepted) to carry 51b. extra ; the wmner
of the Levant stakes to carry 71b. extra ; no horse
to carry more than 71b. extra.

The Goodwood Cup, value 300 sovs., the rest in
specie, by subscriptions of 20 sovs. each, with
100 added by the racing fund ; cup course ; three
yrs. old, 7st. 4ib. ; four, 9st. lib. ; five, 9st. 91b. ;
six and aged, 9st. 121b. ; m. allowed 41b., g. 71b.,
horses, &c., got by Arabian, Turkish, or Persian
stallions, or out of Arabian, Turkish, or Persian
mares, allowed 181b, both 361b. Horses, &c., bred in
America, or upon the continent of Europe, allowed
141b. ; horses having run at the York Spring,
Liverpool §^ring, Chester, Manchester, or Newton
races, 1839, allowed 31b. ; ditto at Liverpool July
races, 1839, allowed 51b. ; and ditto in Scotland
or in Ireland, in 1839, 71b. deduction of weight
from what they would have otherwise to carry ;
(those hereinunder specified as carrying extra
weight excepted,) never having w^on £100 in-
cluding their own stake, at any one time in 1839,
previous to the day of starting, and not having
been placed in the Derby or Oaks of 1839, allowed
51b. Four yrs. old and upwards, never having
won or received as second horse £100 including
their own stakes, at any one time in 1838 or 1839,
previous to the day of starting, and not having
been placed in the Derby or St. Leger of 1838
(those hereinunder specified as carrying extra
weight excepted) allowed 101b, Five yrs. old and



BRITISH TURF. 331

upwards, never having won or received as second
liorse £100 including their own stake at any one
time in 1837-38, or 39, previous to the day of
starting (those hereinunder specified as carrying
extra weight excepted) allowed 1 61b. Maiden three
yrs. old, not having been placed in the Derby or
Oaks of 1839, allowed 81b. : maiden four vrs. old,
not having been placed in the Derby or St. Leger,
1838, (those hereinunder specified as carrying
extra weight excepted) allowed 181b. ; maiden six
yrs. old (those hereinunder specified as carrying
extra weight excepted) allowed 281b. The second
horse in any stake having received £100 including
his own stake, not to be considered maiden. The
winner of the gold cup at Ascot in 1839, to carry
51b. ; the second, 21b. extra. The winner of the Port
Stakes, or Eclipse foot in 1839, to carry 31b. extra.
The winner of the Ascot, Goodwood, or Doncaster
cups, or of the Derby, or Doncaster St. Leger in
1838, to carry 21b. extra. The winner of the
Derby in 1839, to carry 81b. extra; the second,
31b. extra. The winner of the Derby in 1839 to
carry 81b. extra ; the second, 31b. extra. The
winner of the Oaks in 1839 to carry 71b. ; the
second, 21b. extra. The winner of the Drawing-room
Stakes in 1839 to carry 51b extra. Neither the al-
lowances of weight for not winning, nor the penalties
of extra wxight for winning and for running second,
are to be accumulative. The second horse to re-
ceive £100 out of the stakes. Horses having v. on



332 HISTORY OF THE

abroad not to be considered winners in this stake.
To close to Messrs. Weatherby on Tuesday in
the Craven Meeting, and to name on the Tuesday
after Epsom.

The Duke of Richmond's Plate of 100 sovs. ;
last mile.

The Queen's Plate of 100 sovs. ; plate course.

The Anglesea Stakes of 15 sovs. each, for three
yrs. old and upwards.

Friday. — The March Stakes of 10 sovs. each,
5 ft. if declared by nine o'clock the preceding
evening ; a handicap for horses of all ages ; to be
ridden by members of the Goodwood Club. Horses
to be named on the second day, and the weights
declared by four o'clock the day before running ;
heats, the last three quarters of a mile of the Draw-
ing-room Stakes Course. If twelve acceptances, to
be divided into two classes, and to run only one
heat ; the winner of the two classes to run for the
£5 fts., staking £10 each, and carrying 61b extra;
and any horse who has started, to be allowed to
challenge for the fts., carrying the original weights.
If only one class, the £5 fts. to be divided between
the first and second horses.

East Sussex Hunt, over Lewes race-course. —
These races for Farmers' and Hunters' Stakes,
take place about the middle of April, and occupy
one day.

Hastings and St. Leonards. — Hastings, the
principal of the cinque-ports, is pleasantly situated



BRITISH TURF. 333

in a vale, open to the sea on the south, 69 miles
(E.) from Chichester, and 64^ (S. E.) from London,
and contains about 6000 inhabitants. At the dis-
tance of eight miles from the town, on a spot on
which he subsequently built the Abbey of Battel,
William the Conqueror defeated Harold in that
battle which decided the fate of England. The
mildness and salubrity of the air render this town
a favourite resort of invalids, for whose amusement
there are many places of public resort.

The races, which were established in 1827, take
place about the end of September, and continue
two days. In addition to the Town Plate of .50
so vs., and the St. Leonards' Plate of the same
amount, about 100 sovs. is given aw^ay in stakes
from the fund.

Lewes. — The chief town of the county, is si-
tuated on the river Ouse, 7 miles from Brighton,
38 from Chichester, and 50 (S. by E.) from Lon-
don, and contains 7083 inhabitants. This town
contains concert and subscription rooms, public
libraries, &c., and a small theatre which is open dur-
ing the race week. The race-course is one of the
finest four-mile courses in the kingdom, and has a
commodious stand, erected in 1772. It is situated
on the downs in the neighbourhood of the tow^n,
which are of a chalky soil, and covered with the
rich herbage which gives to the famous South-
Down mutton its admired flavour. The races
take place about the middle of August, and con-



334 HISTORY OF THE

tirme two days, for the following principal plates
and stakes, viz. : —

The Lewes' Stakes of 20 sovs. each, with 50
added.

The Members' Plate of £50. Her Majesty's
Plate of 100 gs. A Plate of £50, for all ages.

A Handicap Sweepstakes of 3 sovs. each, with
40 added.

WARWICKSHIRE.

Birmingham. — A large town in the hundred of
Hemlingford, 109 miles from London. It stands on
the verge of the two counties of Worcester and
Salop ; so that some of the villages, which may be
fairly considered as suburbs to Birmingham, are in
reality in those counties. This town has a dirty and
gloomy appearance, from the nature of the extensive
manufacturies, mostly carried on by machinery,
kept in motion by steam. Most of the streets are
narrow, and crooked, and the houses are in general
small, and mean looking. Every article of gold, .
silver, iron, steel, copper, brass-mined metals;
glass, wood, horn, ivory and stone — from the
smallest trinket to the ponderous anchor, cannon
or chain-cable — are manufactured here. Notwith-
standing the smoke and steam of the numerous
engines, this town is said to be remarkably healthy
The places of worship are numerous, more particu-
larly those of dissenters 3 while the places of amuse-



BRITISH TURF. 335

menf are few. The inhabitants at different periods
have been as follows, viz :— in 1801, 73,670 ; in
1811, 85,753 ; in 1821, 106,722.

Two days' racing takes place here in the be-
ginning of October, but the stakes being few and
of trifling value for so large and wealthy a town,
they attract a poor attendance both of company and
horses. The principal stakes run for in 1838 were
the Birmingham Stakes of 10 sovs. each, with 50
added ; and a silver cup, value 40 sovs. added to a
Sweepstakes of 3 sovs. each, for all ages.

Coventry. — An ancient city, and a county of it-
self; 10 miles from Warwick, 18 from Bir-
mingham, and 91 (N.N.W.) from London. The
river Shirburn and the Radford brook unite within
the town, which contains 21,242 inhabitants. The
weaving of ribbands forms the staple trade of the
town. The theatre is open during the races, which
take place in the middle of March, and continue
two days. In addition to a silver cup, about £100
raised by subscription, is given away in stakes.

Warwick. — The capital of the county, pleasant-
ly situated on the river Avon, 90 miles (N.W.)
from London, and containing 8,235 inhabitants*
The castle is one of the most splendid and entire
specimens of feudal grandeur in the kingdom.
Many of the public buildings of this ancient town
are handsomely constructed, and it contains several
valuable institutions. The theatre is opened during
the race week, by the Cheltenham company ; there



336 HISTORY OF THK

are also news, and other public rooms ; assemblies
are held in the town-hall, and for larger meetings,
and during the races, in the county hall.

The races are held twice in the year ; the spring
races generally take place about the middle of
March, and last one day; they are much patronized
by the visitors and inhabitants of Leamington, the
ladies of which place give a plate of £25 ; and 50
sovs. are added to the Trial Stakes by the town of
Warwick, and 30 more by the stand proprietors.
The autumnal races take place in the first week of
September, and continue for three days ; at this
meeting, the Queen's Plate of lOOgs. the Town
Plate of £50, the Members' Plate of £50, the War-
wick cup of £100, the Guy, Leamington, and other
stakes are run for.

The course is a fine level, with a little rising
ground in one part, and has lately undergone such
improvements, that it may now justly rank as one
of the best in the kingdom ; the grand stand, which
is handsome and commodious, affords every accom-
modation to the numerous visitors.

WILTSHIRE,

Salisbury. — ^This city is pleasantly situated near
the confluence of the rivers Nadder and Willey,
with the Avon, 82 miles (S.W. by W.) from Lon-
don, and contains 8,763 inhabitants. Its magni-
ficent cathedral, the highest in England, being 400



BRITISH TURF. 337

feet from the pavement to the summit of its spire,
is visible at a great distance from the plain in the
centre of which the city is situated. This town
contains a small theatre, subscription rooms, and
public hbraries, &c. The races take place about
the middle of August, and continue two days, the
list of sport being generally excellent on both
days.

The following are the principal plates and stakes :
the Wiltshire Stakes of 25 so vs., &c., with 50 ad-
ded ; the Produce Sweepstakes of 50 sovs. each ;
Her Majesty's Plate, value 100 gs. ; a Silver Cup,
to be run for by the yeomanry ; the City Members*
Plate of 50 sovs., and the gold cup by subscription
of 10 sovs. each.

Staverton. — A small town 2^ miles from Trow-
bridge, and about 120 miles from London. Races
are held here about the end of April, but they are
merely of local interest.

WORCESTERSHIRE.

Bromyard. — On the river Brome, 14 miles from
Hereford, and 126 from London, and containing
2,767 inhabitants.

One day's racing about the middle of August.
The Broxash Stakes of 3 sovs. each, with 30 added,
for half-bred horses.

The All-aged Stakes of 5 sovs. each, with 50
added.

VOL. I. z



338 HISTORY OF THE

Dudley. — Twenty-six miles from Worcester, and
127 (N.W. byN.) fromLondon; containing 18,211



Online LibraryJames Christie WhyteHistory of the British turf : from the earliest period to the present day → online text (page 19 of 33)