James Cleland.

Statistical tables relative to the city of Glasgow, with other matters therewith connected online

. (page 20 of 23)
Online LibraryJames ClelandStatistical tables relative to the city of Glasgow, with other matters therewith connected → online text (page 20 of 23)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

also committed.

On 20th July, the lords of justiciary directed the magistrates to be liberated on bail,
and on the 21st, they returned to Glasgow. When about 6 miles from the city, they
were met by upwards of 200 of the inhabitants chiefly on horseback, who conducted
them into the city, where they were received with open arms, ringing of bells and
every demonstration of joy. Of the 19 persons sent to Edinburgh, some were
whipped through the streets of Glasgow, some were banished, and others released.

Mr. Campbell having applied to parliament for indemnification for his loss, the
parliament allowed him ^6400 sterling out of the local tax of two pennies Scots on
the pint of beer; this sum, together with other damages and expenses occasioned by
the riot, amounted to about ^9000, no part of which the town could advance in cash.

1725 Anderston. — This village was formed by Mr. Anderson, out of one of his farms
of Stobcross. The lands of Stobcross having became the property of ]\Ir. David
Watson, banker, remained in that family till Mr. Watson's death, when the execu-
tors of his will sold them very unadvisedly, which turned out to the great prejudice
of his children.

1725 Town's Mill. — The inhabitants of Glasgow agreed to be restricted to the town's
mill, in consideration of the magistrates keeping the mill in repair, and repairing the
quay at the Broomielaw.

1725 Fire Engine. — The first fire engine was purchased for the community this year.

1727 Profane Ballads. — Jan. 5th. The session made application to the magistrates anent
discharging profane ballads from being sung on the streets.

1727 Highland Society. — The Glasgow Highland society was instituted this year.

1728 Dean of Guild Court. — The town council passed an act prohibiting all builders and
others from building or altering houses, till they applied for and obtained authority
from the dean of guild court.

1728 Causeway — The town council enacted, that no person should drive large stob
nails into cart wheels, under the penalty of £5 Scots, as they injured the causeway.

1729 Lands of Frovan. — The magistrates and council sold the lands of Provan, consist-
ing of 2012 acres, to Mr. Robert Lang and others, at the price of £5374, 8s. 8d.
sterling, besides a feu duty of ^103, 8s. sterling. The Lands of Petershill were
sold to Mr. William Stobbo about the same period.

1 730 Hamillonhill. — The town council sold the wester common, now called Hamilton*
hill to Mr. James Rea.

1730 Boltlehouse, — The first bottlehouse in Gl.isgow was erected this year.

1732 Inkles — Inkles began to be manufactured this year, by ]\Ir. Alexander Harvie,
who brought two inkle looms and a workman from Haerlem, at the risk of his Ufe.
Glasgow was the first place in Britain where inkles were made.

1733 Reformed Presbyterians. — The reformed presbyterians had their first meeting house
in Glasgow this year. Mr. Innes, minister.

1733 Town's Hospital. — The town's hospital in Clyde-street was built this year.

1 734 Baillie of Provan. — The magistrates and council elected a baillie of Provan this
year, which practice they have continued ever since.

1735 Statue of King William. — Mr. James M'Crae, governor of the presidency of Mad-
ras, and citizen of Glasgow, made a present to the community of an e(]uestrian sta-
tue of William III. It was set up at the Cross during this year.

1735 Toivn Hall and old Assembly Room, — The town purchased some old houses and
vacant ground near the cross from Mr. John Graham of Dougalston, for the purpose
of building a town hall, assembly room, &c. on their site.

1735 BdCs Park, — At tliis period, the tovrn's herd drove tlie cows belonging to the



burgesses to the north-ivest common, between Glasgow and Port-Dundas, sinee
known by the name of Bell's and Blythswood's parks. For a long time after this,
the narrow road where Queen-streei is now formed, was bounded by two hedges,
known by the name of the Cow-loan. The ground where the village of Cowcad-
dens stands, was the place where the burgesses cows were milked.

1756 Toiun Hall. — The foundation stone of the town hall at the Cross, and the old as-
Eorably room was laid this year by provost Coulter. The hall and assembly room were
opened in 17-10. Although deacon Corse was the master mason, his foreman,
the celebrated Mungo Neasmith, carried on the work, and carved the caricature
heads on the key stones of the arches in the arcade, so justly admired.

1756 Music Bells. — 28 music bells were put into the steeple at the Cross this year; they
cost .£516, Is. 9d. sterling. They play different tunes every day, viz. on Sunday, Eas-
ter hymn; JNIonday, Gilderoy; Tuesday, Nauc)''s to the Greenwood gane; Wednes-
day, Tweedside; Thursday, The Lass o' Patie's mill; Friday, The lasf time I came
o'er the muir; Saturd.iy, Roslin castle. 'Die great bell in this steeple is the only
one in the city which was cast before the Reformation, and of course the only one
which could have received the rite of consecration from a Roman catholic prelate.

1759 SC. Andrew's Church. — The foundation stone of this elegant church was laid this
year, by Provost Alton. Deacon Corse was also the master mason to this building,
which is a near copy of the church of St. Martin's in the fields, London, but the
whole erection was conducted by Mungo Neasmith. The formation of the portico is
allowed by professional persons to be unique. The architrave lintles over the co-
lumns have perpendicular joints without any appearance of support. This is eff'ected
by internal juggles, while an iron bar sunk into the stones, prevents the lateral strain.
When tliis master-piece of masonry, which occupied seven years, was completed, the
magistrates presented .Mr. Neasmith with the freedom of the city, and gave him a bury-
ing place in the north-west burying ground near the gate. 3Ir. Neasmith was grand-
father to Mr. Mungo Neasmith, now a mason in this city. In the portico of St.
Martin's church, a beam of wood, covered with stone, represents the arch.

Dr. William Craig, father to the late Lord Craig, was the first minister in St
Andrew's church; he w.-is admitted on 1 6th JMarch, 1765. As disputes had arisen
about the patronage of this church, the duty was done by probationers for several
years, before a regular minister was appointed.

1739 Searchers of Hides. — The first searchers with a salary, were appointed for the city
during this year.

1740 Ti/pe-founding. — ]\Ir. Alexander Wilson (afterwards professor of astronomy in
this university,) introduced the art of type-making to Glasgow; till that period
type-making was scarcely known in Scotland. Mr. Wilson lived to see his manu-
factory in Glasgow the most extensive and celebrated of any in Europe.

1741 Burghers — Their first meeting-house was built in Glasgow during this year, Mr.
James Fisher, minister.

1742 Printficld. — The first printfield which belonged to Glasgow, was fitted up at Pol-
lockshaws, by Messrs Ingram & Co.

1744 Slaughter- Home. — The first slaughterhouse was built this year, on the north
side of the river, a little east from tlie Stockwell-street bridge.

1 744 Printing. — A'Ir. Robert Foulls brought out his celebrated immaculate 12mo. edition
of Horace from the university press during this year. This work wa.s so accurately
executed, that the sheets as they were printed were hung up in the College, and a
reward oflTcred to those v.ho should discover an inaccuracy.

1745 Glasgow Regiments. — At the rebellion, the city of Glasgow raised two regiments
of 600 men each. One of these battalions was engaged, and behaved gallantly at
the battle of Falkirk.

1748 Deacons' Choosing. — On l^th Sept. the Trades' house enacted that in all time com-
ing, the deacons should be elected on the Friday, betwixt the 16th and 24th of
Sept. yearly.

1748 Detftivork. — The first delftwork in Scotland was erected this year near the west end
of the Broomielaw. Provost Dinwiddle and his brother the general, were two of
the first partners. INIr. James Watt, of Boulton and Watt, was a partner in this
company for a number of years, and remained so till his death, which happened on
25tli August, 1SI9.

1749 Shoe Shop. — The first shop for the sale of shoes in Glasgow was opened this year
by Mr. William Colquhoun.

1749 Ship Bank Tlie Ship bank was opened this year; tliis was the first bank belong-
ing to the city. Till lately, it used to be called the old bank.

1749 Parliamentary Grant to the Toiun. — The magistrates and council on the 12th April,
1749, represented to Parliament, that the funds of the corporation had been nearly



ruined by the exactions of the rebels ; that the corporation had actually advanced
the sum of =£9056, 10s. 9|d. all of which they were under the necessity of borrow-
ing; that with interest since the date of the bonds, their pecuniary loss amounted to
=£10,093; they therefore prayed that parliament wpuld grant them relief. Lieut—
col. John Campbell the member for Glasgow, presented the bill, and moved, that
" A sum not exceeding ^10,000 be granted to his Majesty to reimburse the mao-i-
" strates and council of Glasgow, the sum extorted from them by the rebels, upon
•' account of their loyalty, during the late unnatural rebellion, for the raising of
" which the said magistrates and council were obliged to grant their bonds."

Provost Ingram's evidence at the bar of the House of Commons was so conclusive,
that it was not thought necessary to call in baiilie George Murdoch, who was in at-
tendance. After some discussion, the Commons agreed to the grant of ^10,000.
The bill having been sent to the Lords, was passed on the 31st of May.
1750 Lilerarij Society. — This society was established in the College about this time, I)y
Principal Leechman, then professor of theology; Messrs. Adam Smith, Trail, Kcid,
and Miller, were among its distinguished members.

1750 Haberdasher. — Mr. Andrew Lockhart was the first person in Glasgow who kept a
haberdashery shop; it was at the bead of the Saltmarket, the same in which his son
James kept a hardware shop for a long period, with great reputation.

1751 Court Dress. — The Trades' house on 9th Oct. enacted, that on all public occa-
sions, in time coming, their convener should wear a black velvet dress, and that the
house would make good the expense.

1751 The Episcopal Chapel was opened this year. Mr. James Reddoch, minister.

1751 Galloivgate Port. — The Gallowgate port was taken down this year.

1752 Gentleman^ Carriage. — Mr. Allan Dreghorn, timber merchant, was the first per-
son who run a four wheeled carriage in Glasgow. This gentleman's family were
tacksmen of the Gorbals or Govan colliery, when it belonged to the Town the
Trades' house, and Hutcheson's hospital. (See 1714.)

1752 .Anti-Burghers. — Their first meeting-house was built in Havannah-street durinjj
this year, Mr. John Jamieson, minister. He was placed here in 17.^3. Mr. Jamieson
wasfather to doctor Jamieson of Edinburgh, the celebrated antiquarian, and author
of that elaborate and valuable work, the dictionary of the Scottish lano-uage.

1752 Theatre — The fii'st theatre in Glasgow was placed against the wall of the Epis-
copal palace; dress parties going to this unpopular place of amusement, were es-
corted by a military guard. In 1754, this temporary theatre was demolished by a
congregation, who had been hearing Mr. George Whitefield preach in (he High-
church yard. In 1 7G4, the theatre in Alston-street was opened, and at 1 o'clock
in the morning of 16th April, 1782, it was burned to the ground. I was present
at the fire, and recollect the firemen receiving orders to protect the adjoiniu" proper-"
ty, and leave the devil's house to its fate. The theatre in Duniop-street was opened
in January, 1785; and in 1804, the theatre in Queen-street was opened. The ex-
pense of this building and the scenes exceeded ^18,500. Provost Craigie laid the
foundation stone of this theatre, in presence of the committer. It is remarkable that
notwithstanding the large sums which Iiave been laid out in this city for buildino-
theatres, none of the tacksmen have succeeded. "

1753 Glisgow Arms Hank. — This banking company commenced business about this

1754 Eles/i ^furkcls. — The markets in King-street were built this year.

1754 Siiver-Smitiis. — Mr. Robert Leckie was the first silver-smith that opened .shop in

1755 Green Market. — The Green market in Candlerigg- street, was opened this year.
175G Cathedral Steeple destroyed bi/ lighimvg. — The steeple of tiie cathedral ctuircli

above the upper battlement, was destroyed by liglitning this year. A t the time of the
slorm, a party of recruits were at drill in the nave of the cathedral, immediately
under the steeple, when, unfortunately, a serjcart and one of the recruits were killed
by the falling of some stones. Mr. Neasmitli shewed great genius in the erection
of a scaflbld and repairing the steeple. Virginia-street was opened during this year.
Hat-Shop. — Mr. John Blair was the first person who had a front shop^in this city
for the sale of hats ; it was opened in the Saltmarket during this year. '

1758 Coaches between Edinburgh and Glasgoiu. — In this year, a heavy coach beean to run
between Edinburgh and Glasgow, it was drawn by four horses, and was twelve
hours on the road. After running about thirty years, the heavy coaches were suc-
ceeded by diligences drawn by two horses, which were generally about eight hours
on the road. On 10th January, 1799, Mr. John Gardner, late of the Buck's
head hotel, Glasgow, started the Royal Edinburgh telegraph with four horses, which





runs through in six hours. Since 1R02, stage coaches are not allowed to go out
nor come into Glasgow on Sunday. The Royal mails excepted.

In 1819, there were only 15 street coaches in Glasgow, and of that number,
six only plyed regularly on the streets. On 6th March, 1818, Mr. Angus M'Intosh
set up a one horse coach ; since that period, these vehicles have increased so much,
that on 10th April, 1823, there were 38 plying on the streets. It appears from
Arnot's history of Edinburgh, p. 598, that in the year 1752, there were only four-
teen hackney coaches in the metropolis of Scotland, and that in 1778 the number
had decreased to nine.

1758 Glasgow Marine Socicti/ — This society was instituted this year.

1759 River Clyde. — An act of parliament was procured this year for rendering the river
navigable for large vessels by means of locks. In 1770, an act was procured for
deepening the river, and laying on tonnage dues.

1761 Thistle Bank — This banking company commenced business this year. Some time
after this, the Merchant bank, and Messrs. Thomsons' bank were opened.

1761 Woollen Draper. — Mr. Patrick Ewing has been a woollen draper in Glasgow for
upwards of 62 years; he has long been the father of the trade; and what is more
remarkable, has been at the head of his profession for more than half a century.

1761 Burying Ground. — The ground on the north side of the High church was pur-
chased for a burj-ing ground this year.

1 763 College Chapel. — At this period, the professors and students began regularly to at-
tend divine service in their own hall. Jamaica-street and Havannab-street were open-
ed during this year.

1763 Steam Engine. — Mr. James Watt, during this year, made his first model of a steam
engine in a private room in the delftwork near the Broomielaw, in this city.
The particulars of the interesting experiments connected with the making of this mo-
del, are detailed in the Rise and Progress of the Manufactures of Glasgow, p. 97, 98,

1 764 Wynd Church. — The Wynd church was rebuilt this year. Tliis place of worship was
taken down in 1 809 after the congregation had removed to St. George's church ; among
the many respectable families who have long been connected with this congregation,
that of Mr. James Hopkirk of Dalbeth, is prominent. Mr. Hopkirk's grandfather
contributed to build the Wynd church, during the time of episcopacy, previous to
the revolution. The church was then covered with thatch.

1766 Church Patronage. — From the Reformation till this date, the ministers of this city
were elected by the magistrates and council, the ministers, and tlie members of tlie
particular session where the vacancy occurred, and sometimes the whole members of
the general session were added, and this practice was continued, notwithstanding tliat
the magistrates had obtained the patronage of the Blackfriars and St. Mary's
churches by royal charter In this year, the magistrates and council were authorized
by the court of session to elect Mr. Ballantine to the Wynd church themselves, in
consequence of their building and endowing the churcli, and they have continued
the patronage of the city churches ever since. The free Presbyterian meeting-house
(now the Chapel of Ease in Canon-street) was built this year in consequence of the
dispute about patronage. I\Ir. William Cruden, minister.

1767 Burying Ground. — The North west burvnng ground was formed this year.

1767 Gold Chains — The lord provost, baillies, dean of guild, and convener, first began
to wear gold chains. Provost Murdoch, baillies Buchanan, Bannatyne and Clark,
dean of guild Campbell and convener Jamieson were the first persons who wore the
chains. The convener's chain was made by Napier and Bain, and cost jf-iOnlOril^.

1768 Jamaica-street Bridge. — The foundation stone of this bridge was laid on 29tli
September, by provost IVIurdoch, with great masonic solemnity. Prior to this date,
small boats came up as far as St. Enoch's burn, where the original quay terminated.

1768 Forth and Clyde Ka-vigation. — Sir Laurence Dundas, Bart, on lOth June, dug out
the first spadeful of earth for the canal. On oA Sept. 1773, the canal was rendered
navigable to Kirkintilloch, and to Stockingficld on lOib Nov. 1775; the collateral
cut to Hamiltonhill and the basin near Glasgow, were finished on lOfh Nov. 1777.
On Cih July, 178G, the operations commenced for extending the navigation from
Stockingfield to the Clyde, which were completely finished and die canal opened
from sea to sea on 28th July, 1790, and on 1 1th Nov. the basin at Fort-Dundas was
finished. The canal from the Forth to the Clyde is 35 miles long.

1769 MonLland Canal. — Although this canal was projected in this year, it was not till
31st Dec. 1790, that the junction between the Forth and Clyde navigation and this
canal was completed. The canal from Glasgow to the IMonklands, is 12 miles long.

1770 Finnieston. — The village of Finnieslon was laid out this year by the proprietor of
Stobcross. The name was given in honour of the llcv. Mr. Finnic, who was chai>-
lain in the family.



1770 Belief Meeting-house. — The first meeting-house here, connected with this body,
was built at Anderston in 1770. Mr, Joseph Neil was admitted minister in 1 771.

1771 St. Andrew Square — In this year an act of parliament was obtained for making St.
Andrew street and square.

1772 Dunlop Street was opened this year.

1773 Miller Street and Clyde Street, zveit, were Opened this year; East, in 1812.

1774 Assessors for the Poor. — This was the first year that the magistrates and council
appointed assessors. The names of the first assessors are inserted in the article Poor.

1775 Glasgow Regiment At the breaking out of the American war, the city raised a

battalion of 1000 men, called the Glasgow regiment, afterwards the 83d foot. This
regiment cost the citizens upwards of =£10,000. The enthusiasm in support of the
war was so great, that gentlemen of the first respectability in the city, paraded
the streets as recruiting sergeants, while the father of a late member of parliament
played the bagpipe.

1776 Rutherglen Bridge. — A free bridge was built across the Clyde, near the west end
of the parish of Rutherglen. The foundation stone was laid this year.

1776 Stockwell- street Bridge. — This bridge was widened ten feet on the east side dur-
ing this year.

1777 Foot Pavements. — The first foot pavement in the city was laid this year, by Mr.
John Brown, master of works. It was on the east side of the Candleriggs-street, from
the Trongate to Bell-street. It was not however till 1800, when the first police act
was obtained, that footpaths became general, though there were instances of a sin-
gle row of stones being put in front of a few houses as far back as the year 1764.
Before side pavements were made, persons walked on the middle of the street, hence
the term walking on the croiun of the cause-way.

1777 Arns Well. — The Arns well, in the green, was opened to the public this year, under
the auspices of provost Donald. This well took its name from the am trees (alder)
which were planted beside it.

1777 Gaelic Chapel. — The Gaelic chapel in Ingram-street was opened this year, Mr.
Hugh M'Diarmet, minister. Queen Street was opened this year.

1777 Chrystal. — The manufacturing of chrystal was introduced to this town by Messrs.
Cookson of Newcastle during this year.

1777 Cudbear. — Messrs. George M'Intosh & Co. established a manufactory of cudbear
in this city during this year.

1778 Episcopal Palace. — The ruins of this once famous structure were removed
this year; the west wall hung over Kirk-street so very considerably, that Mr.
C — 1 — r could never be advised to go near it, from the belief in the story, that
whenever the wisest man in the city came in contact with it, it would fall and
smother him ! ! !

1778 Tallow Searchers. — Tallow searchers first appointed in tliis city.

1779 Charlotte Street was opened this year.

1779 Methodists. — The meeting-house in Stockwell-street, opposite to Jackson-street,
was opened this year by Mr. John Wesley, who first visited Glasgow in April,
1751. The first conference was held in London, on 25th June, 1744.

1780 Ji^'v- Doctor Hamilton. — The Rev. Doctor John Hamilton, minister of the cathedral
church, visitor of the college, and dean of faculty, (father to provost John Hamilton)
died this year. This eminent divine was held in great respect by all classes of the
community. At his funeral, in addition to the magistrates, ministers and the pro-
fessors, who walked in their robes preceded by their mace, a great body of the
population turned out to do honour to the memory of a man who had so justly
merited their approbation.

1780 Street Lamps. — On 16th August, the town council instructed the master of works
to put up nine lamps on the south side of the Trongate- street, from the Laigh kirk
steeple to the Stockwell-street, in consideration that the proprietors of houses had just
laid a foot pavement similar to that on tlie opposite side of the street.

1780 Buchanan Street was opened this year, (north end in 1804.)

1780 Popish Bill. — A bill having been brought into parliament to repeal certain penal
statutes against the Roman catholics, a numerous body of the citizens of Glas

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 20 22 23

Online LibraryJames ClelandStatistical tables relative to the city of Glasgow, with other matters therewith connected → online text (page 20 of 23)