James Cleland.

Statistical tables relative to the city of Glasgow, with other matters therewith connected online

. (page 21 of 23)
Online LibraryJames ClelandStatistical tables relative to the city of Glasgow, with other matters therewith connected → online text (page 21 of 23)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

StockwcU-street, King-street, Saltmarket, &c.

1783 Chamber of Commerce. — The chamber was incorporated this year by royal charter,
under the auspices of provost Colquhoun. A branch of the royal bank of Scotland
was established in Glasgow at the same period.

1783 John Street and the Bell of the Bra:. — John-street was opened, and the Bell of the
brae (High street) lowered rather more than 4 feet this year.

1784 Campbell Street was opened this year.

1785 Mendiciti/. — Several ittempts have been made in this city to suppress begging,
but hitherto without eflect. At this period the magistrates received the able assist-
ance of the rev. Doctor Porteous, who devoted much of his valuable time to the cure
of this evil. In preparing a treatise on the subject, the Doctor corresponded with
several distinguished persons who had turned their thoughts to the cure of mendi-
city in other great towns, although the Doctor's suggestions met the entire appro-
bation of the magistrates and the respectable part of the community, the time had
not arrived when the scheme could receive general support. Since that period, the
magistrates and police have made frequent attempts to suppress public begging;
although their exertions have been attended with considerable success, yet there is no
society in this city for the exclusive purpose of suppressing public begging, as is to be
found in other great towns. The mendicity societies in London and Edmburgh have
produced the happiest effects on society. In the Scottish metropolis, the society,
which owes its birth to 'Mr. Robert Johnston, late one of the magistrates, has been fos-
tered by all that is respectable in the community, and is now productive of great
public benefit. The Edinburgh society was instituted on S5th January, 1815.

1785 Great Frost. — On the 1-ilh March, the ice on the Clyde broke up after four
months frost. During the time of the ice, booths and dram shops, with fires in them,
were erected on the river.

17S5 Balloon. — During this year Vincent Lunardi, an Italian, ascended in a balloon
from St. Andrew's square, and in 25 hours descended at Hawick, a distance of about
70 miles. In a second attempt he descended in the neiglibourhood of Campsie.

1786 Turkey Red — Messrs. George M'Intosh and David Dale commenced dyeing
yarn turkey red this year.

1786 Coal. — The town council resolved that coal brought into the city should be sold

by weight and not by measure, in all time coming.
1786 Weigh-liouse. — This building was removed from Candlerigg-street to Ingram-

street, south-east corner of IMontrose-street. It was pulled down in 1822.

1786 Distilleri/. — Baillie Menzies of Gorbals, was the first person in the west of Scot-
land who had an entered still, his licence in 1786 was the 4th in Scotland.

1787 Sunday Schools- — Sunday schools were est.iblished in this city during this year.
The London Sunday school society was established on 7th Sept. 1785, under the
auspices of Lord Barham, ]\Ir. Wilberforce and other respectable philanthropists.

1787 Weavers' Riot. — During this year the manufacturers intended to reduce the price
of weaving, on which a number of weavers struck work; having paraded the streets
they burned and destroyed a number of webs in the Calton and Drygate. Provost
Riddell having called out the military, under the command of col. Kellet, three
men were killed, and several wounded on die 5d Sept. The sheriff" and convener
Glen were also along with the military.

1787 Cochran Street, Frederick Street, Montrose Street, George Square, and St. .Andrew's
Square, were opened during this year.

1788 Lining of Streets On the 23d April the magistrates and council remitted to the

dean of guild court the lining of the streets and oilier matters connected with build-
ing, and recommended to the dean of guild to keep proper records thereof.

1789 Grammar School — The grammar school fronting George-street was built tliis year.

1790 London Mail. — On 7th July the first mail coach from London, by the way of Car-
lisle, arrived in Glasgow.

1790 Common Strivers. — The first sewer in Glasgow was made this year by the building
company, the partners of which were Messrs. Dugald Bannatyne, John Thomson
and Robert Smith. On the 15th Sept. 1819, sewers had been laid in 45 streets.



extending to five railes and 26 yards. This taken in connexion with a plentiful sup-
ply of water, and the privilege of the public green, contributes greatly to the health
and comfort of the inhabitants. The Human! society was instituted this year.

1790 Brunswick Street, Hutcbeson Street, and IVilson Street, were opened this year.

1791 Trades' Hall was built this year, the foundation stone was laid by convener M' Asian.

1791 The Surgeons' Hall built, Stirling's Library, Hamilten Street, "west, opened this year.

1792 Royal Infirmary — The foundation stone was laid on 18th May, by provost M'Dow-
all, in presence of the public bodies. The infirmary was opened on 8th Dec.
1794; betwixt that time and 31st Dec. 1822, there have been admitted, 28,562
patients, of that number, 19,155 have been completely cured; exclusive of in-door
patients, 63,000 persons have come to the infirmary for medical advice, so that dur-
ing the time above specified, 91,562 persons have been cured, relieved, or received

1792 Roman Catholics. — The first place which the Roman catholics had in Glasgow
for public worship was the Tennis court in Mitchell-street, it opened this year. Mr.
Alex. 3I'DonaId, priest.

1792 George Street, Dempster Street, Balmanno Street and Weaver Street, were opened this

1792 Steam Engines. — Mr. Robert Muir was the first person who made an engine in
Glasgow for moving machinery ; it was put up in Messrs. Scott & Stevenson's cotton
mill in Springfield, exactly 10 years after Messrs. Boulton and Watt obtained their
patent. The first engine made under this patent was put up at Bradly iron works
in 1782. It was not, however, till 1789, that steam engines were used for spinning
cotton ; at that period, Messrs. Boulton and Watt erected an engine in Manchester
for Mr. Drink water.

1793 Tron Church burned. — This church was destroyed by accidental fire, on 8th Feb.
in this year. Glassford-street and Garthland-itreet were opened at the same period.

1794 Duke-street was opened this year.

1794 Inspector of Markets. — In this year an inspector of the flesh markets was appointed.
The office was soon after abolished. The Tron Church was rebuilt in this year.

1794 Hutcbeson's Bridge The foundation stone of this bridge was laid by provost Gilbert

Hamilton. After the arches were thrown, the spandrils filled up, and the parapets
nearly finished, the river rose to an alarming height, and carried away a great part
of the bridge, on the 18th November, 1795.

1794 Volunteers. — At this period, the revolutionary principles of France had made such
rapid progress in this country, that an act of parliament was passed, authorising the
system of volunteering. On this occasion a regiment of Royal volunteers was rais-
ed in Glasgow. In 1797, three regiments were raised, viz. Royal volunteers;
Royal volunteer light horse; and armed association. Soon after the peace of
Amiens, in 1803, 9 corps of volunteers were raised here, viz. 1st regiment of
Glasgow volunteers; 2d, or Trades' house regiment; 3d, or Highland regiment;
4th, Sharpshooters; 5th, Grocers corps; 6th, Anderston volunteers ; 7th, Armed
association; Sth. Canal volunteers; and 9tb, Glasgow volunteer light horse. In
1808 the volunteer system gave place to Local INIilitia, when the Glasgow corps
were all disembodied, and 6 corps of local militia embodied in their place. These
corps, now disembodied, consisted of 58 companies, and 4060 rank and file.

1794 Taylor-street was opened during this year. In pulling down an old house fronting
Rottenrow-street, for opening Taylor-street, (where churchmen formerly resided,) the
workmen found a number of ancient coins, &c.

1795 Infantry Barracks. — The infantry barracks were built in the Gallowgate, and
Barrack-street opened this year.

1796 Anderson's Institution commenced Operations this year. Dr. Wright, president.

1796 Assembly Rooms. — The assembly rooms in Ingram-street were erected in this year,
the foundation stone was laid by provost Gilbert Hamilton.

179G Virginia-street (north) was opened this year.

1797 Q,uay at the Broomielaiv. — An addition of 360 feet was made to the quay this year.

1797 Riding School. — The riding school in York street was built this year, Capt. John
Orr (town clerk) laid the foundation stone. Stirling-street was opened this year.

1798 Barony Church. — This church which was built this year, is situated a little to the
south of the cathedral.

1798 Contributions to Government. — The citizens of Glasgow remitted £13,958, 14s. 6d.

as a voluntary contribution for carrying on the war.
1798 Gaelic Chapel. — The Gaelic chapel in Duke-street was opened this year, Mr. John

M'Kenzie, minister. Nelson-street was also opened this year.
1798 Ca/iMr^//r«/ was opened this year. Before this street was opened or the road

N n


Years. , ,

made to Anderston, the principal road from the cathedral to the bishop's country

house or castle at Partick, run parallel to, and a little south from Cathcart-street,

still better known by the name of the Sauchiehall road.
1799 Independents. — The circus in Jamaica-street was fitted up into a chapel and opened

this year. ]Mr. GrevlUe Ewing, minister. The /"

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 21 23

Online LibraryJames ClelandStatistical tables relative to the city of Glasgow, with other matters therewith connected → online text (page 21 of 23)