Copyright
James Cleland.

Statistical tables relative to the city of Glasgow, with other matters therewith connected online

. (page 22 of 23)
Online LibraryJames ClelandStatistical tables relative to the city of Glasgow, with other matters therewith connected → online text (page 22 of 23)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


tion; of this sum, the committee of management actually distributed ^9653, 6s. 2d.
among 23,130 persons. In times of general or local distress, this city is liberal to
a proverb; among its citizens there are many to be found engaging in every work
of benevolence, labouring for the public good, and the true interests of their less
fortunate brethren. The names of Dalglish, Monteith, M'Gavin, Templeton,
Ewing, Ellis, and many others, will long be venerated by those who have lan-
guished under disease, or felt the chilling cold of poverty.

1816 India. — The first ship that was despatched from Scotland direct to India, was
from the house of Messrs. James Finlay & Co. of this city.

1817 St. Johns Church.— The foundation stone of St. John's church was laid this year,
by provost Monteith, in presence of the magistrates and council, and the ministers
of the city. "When the ceremony was completed, the Rev. Principal Taylor offered
up an impressive prayer. The procession was guarded by a detachment of the 42d
regiment, under the command of capt. James Stirling, son of major-general Stirling,
our gallant and highly respected townsman,

1817 Bazar The bazar was built during this year. Mr. Cleland, superintendant of

public works gave the design and laid the foundation stone. OszvaU-sirect was
opened this year.

1818 Live Cattle Mariet — The ground originally intended for Graham's Square has
been turned into a market for the sale of live cattle: 9281 square yards of ground
have been inclosed with stone walls, 150 pens made for sheep and lambs, sheds for
neat cattle have been erected, and a change-house and stabling built for the ac-
commodation of those who frequent the Market.

1818 Gas Light. — An act of parliament has been procured for supplying the city with
gas. The first public lamp in the streets lighted with gas, was put up in the Tron-
gate by the gas company, on 5th Sept. 1818.

1818 Typhus Fever. — The lower classes of this city and suburbs were severely afflicted with
typhus fever. No sooner had the disease assumed a regular appearance, than a com-
mittee of citizens were appointed, when ^6626, 14s. Id. was raised by voluntary con-
tribution. There being no room in the royal infirmary for additional fever patients,
the committee built a temporary fever hospital, in which they placed 200 beds. The
hospital at Spring gardens near the infirmary was opened on 30lh ;\Iarch, 1818, and
shut on 12th July, 1819; between these periods there were 1929 patients admitted.
The greatest number in the hospital at one time was 212; the number of deaths
in all, 171. During the period above specified, the committee caused upwards of
5000 apartments in the city and suburbs to be fumigated where the disease had vi-
sited, or was likely to visit Having appointed persons to survey upwards of 600
lodging houses, the committee caused the infected bedding to be burned, and supplied
the owners with new bedding. Among the numerous benevolent individuals who
tendered their services on this distressing occasion, the names of Balmanno, Leckie,
Wigham, Rodger, Machen and Lawson deserve to be particularly mentioned, as
having laid the community under many obligations, by their unwearied, disinterest-
ed and valuable services.

1819 Monteith Roiu. — The row having been laid out this year, the magistrates and
council, in consideration of the eminent services rendered to the community, by
Mr. Henry Monteith of Carstairs, did him the honour (while in London on public
business) of calling this street by his name. In addition to all other services, pro-
vost Monteith's conduct during the critical days of radicalism, was such, as to
command the respect of all who had an opportunity of witnessing it.

1819 Distress of the IVotling Classes. — The working classes were again thrown into great
distress from want of employment. The seeds of discontent which had been widely
sown and had taken deep root in this part of the country, had now begun to shoot
vigorously in all the variety of radicalism. At this alarming crisis, when thousands
of workers paraded the streets in organized form, demanding employment or bread,
upwards of 600 persons were almost instantly employed at spade work or breaking
stones for the roads. Exclusive of the exertions of the authorities and individuals in
the suburbs, the magistrates of Glasgow simultaneously employed 340 persons, chiefly
weavers, nearly the whole of whom remained at work for upwards of four months
in the green; the entire management of these persons having been given to the su-
perintendent of public works, he had great satisfaction in observing, that by a con-
stant superintendence, and an earnest desire to add to the comforts and alleviate



198 APPENDIX.

Years.

the distresses of those placed under his charge, that he completely succeeded in
preventing all and every one of them from attending political meetings, evtn al-
though Several were held in the immediate neighbourhood of the green, from
which thousands of misguided persons were seen marching to the hustings in pom-
pous procession, preceded by numerous radical ensigns, and well dressed females
carrying caps of liberty.

On the 2d of August, there were 324 persons at work in the green, of that
number 124 were born in Glasgow of whom 36 had families, average residence
of the whole, 27^ years; 96 were horn in other places of Scotland, of whom 39
had families, average residence ISf years; 101 belonged to Ireland, of whom 47
had families, average residence 12^ years; 2 from England, average residence 2^
years, and 1 from America of 30 years residence. Every person from the boy of
ten years, representing a widowed family to the man of seventy, got one shilling
every night for his day's labour; those who had one child under ten years of age,
got one quart of broth addit onal, and those who had three children under ten
years of age, two quarts. When the work was finished, the before mentioned
persons were so satisfied with what the magistrates had done lor them, that they
unanimously voted their thanks to the superintendent of public works, as a mark
of their approbation of his conduct. They afterwards published the vote of thanks
in the newspapers.
1820 Distress Continued. — Although the condition of the working classes was greatly
ameliorated towards the end of 1819, yet there was a great deal of distress in
the town during the spring and summer of 1820. At that period, a committee of
the benevolent gentlemen before mentioned, attended at Hutcheson's hospital, and
gave directions for the distribution of meal, coals, clothing, &c. to such persons as
could not get employment, or were otherwise in want.

Towards the end of 1820, it appeared that the distresses of the working classes
were such, that 2043 heads of families pawned 7380 articles, on which they raised
^739, 5s. Cd.; of the heads of families 1946 were Scotch, and 97 English, Irish
or Foreigners, 137.5 had never applied for, nor received charity of any description,
474 received occasional aid from the committee, and I 94 were pauper*.

The following is a list of the articles which the working classes were under the
necessity of pledging. —

589 men's coats. 90 pelises. 300 pairs sheets.

355 vests. 654 shawls. 162 bed covers.

288 pairs breeches. 210 silk handkerchiefs. 36 table cloths.

84 pairs stockings. 294 shirts and shifts. 48 umbrellas.

1980 women's gowns. 60 hats. 102 bibles.

540 petticoats. 84 bed-ticks. 204 watches.

132 wrappers. 108 pillows. 216 rings.

222 spencers and frocks. 262 pairs blankets. 48 Waterloo medals.

123 duffle?.

1820 Grammar School Buildings. — The foundation Stone of the grammar school buildings
erected on the elevated ground on the north side George's street, was laid this year
by Mr. John Thomas Alston, convener of the committee, in presence of the magis-
trates, the committee on the school, the masters, and upwards of 500 scholars; when
the ceremony was finished, the rev. principal Taylor gave a very appropriate prayer.

1821 Ca-jalry Barracks. — The cavalry barracks were built this year in Bridge-street,
Tradeston. The roofs having been made of patent iron, fell in with a crash.
Timber roofs have since been put on the buildings.

1821 I'ublic Green That part of the laigh green which king James II. gave to bi-
shop Turnbull on 20th April, 14.50, for behoof of the community, did not amount
to 20 acres. Since 1664, the magiitrates have been adding to the size of the green.
Soon after the union in 1707, a stone wall was built at the north boundary. In
1730, the green contained only 59^ acres, it now contains 108. In 173:i, a pub-
lic v^-ashing-house was built, it was nearly in a line with Charlotte-streer. In 1756',
Provost Murdoch made walks in the green. Serpentine walks were afterwards
made, which not answering the purpose, were soon removed.

Of late years, the green has been considerably improved in its surface. In
1816, the upper part was levelled and turfed by about 200 weavers who were out
of employment. In 1819, a tunnel of more than half a mile long was formed in
it, so large as to contain the Camlachie burn,- at that period, the green was
levelled, and a junction made between the High green and the Calton green, by
weavers out of employment. In 1822, the washing-house was removed to a suit-
able site near William-street. When the improvements which are still going on, are
completed, it is believed that this park will be exceeded by none in the country,
for beauty and usefulness. The advantages which the inhabitants derive from the
use of the green are duly appreciated.



APPENDIX. 199

Years.

1822 Qiiay at the Broomlelaiv. — During this year, the quay was extended 482 feet.
This part of the quay which is made of timber, is chiefly intended for the accommo-
dation of steam boats. The quay from the west side oi the bridge to the west end
of the timber wharf extends to 2562 feet, or 26 yards less than half a mile. The dis-
tance from the west end of the steam boat quay to the head of the Old wynd, Tron-
gate, is one mile. From the west end of said quay to the south end of M'Farlane-
street, leading up to St. John's church, is one mile and a half.

1822 Coal in the Green. — The magistrates having been informed that there was every
reason to believe that coal in great quantity and of excellent quality would be found
below the surface of the green, the town council on 15th Nov. 1821, resolved to
make the experiment of boring; and having previously consulted professional coal-
miners, a particular spot for the bore was condescended on. The charge of conduct-
ing the bore, and drawing up a detailed journal, devolved on the superintendent of
public works. That officer in the execution of the important duties assigned him,
was successful in boring through various strata to the uncommon depth of 366
feet 1 in. During the progress of the bore, he found several seams ot coal. Prepara-
tory to printing a journal exhibiting the strata through which the bore passed every
working day from 15th November, 1821, to 17lh Sept. 1822, Mr. Robert Simp-
son an experienced practical coal-miner who frequently visited the bore during the
operations, gave his unqualified professional opinion, that 5 seams of workable coal
would be found in the green, similar to what has been found in the adjacent
grounds, and that there are at least sixty acres of that park where coal would be
found of very great value. Mr. Simpson's opinion of the quantity of coal in the
green, is strongly corroborated by the fact that from the Govan colliery which
joins the green, there was shipped at the Broomielaw, during the year which
ended on 1st March, 1823, (exclusive of retail sale,) no less than tiuo hundred
and eighty-three ■vessels of coals; supposing each vessel to contain 50 tons, the whole
would amount to 14,150 tons, which at a profit of three shillings per ton, a-
mounts to ^2l22j 10s. — this profit is moderate when the present lovr price of coals
and other circumstances are taken into account. The outlay per ton being only
four shillings and sixpence, viz. coalier, for putting out, Is. 8d. cartage and toUage,
Is. lOd. expense of sinking pits, providing engines and keeping the work in re-
pair, Is. In the green, where there is no toll and the cartage short, the profit
will of course be increased in proportion, as the cartage, &c. is decreased.

The circumstance of coal being found in the green, taken in connexion with the
capabilities for supplying the town with water, formerly alluded to, is of great im-
portance to the community; for if ever the managers of the water companies or
the coalmast^rs exact unreasonable profits for the supply of these necessary articles,
the magistrates and council can readily put a check to overcharge, and prevent
monopoly.

1822 Kings Visit to Scotland. — The magistrates of Glasgow have long been distinguished
for loyalty to their Sovereign. When King George IV. visited his ancient metropo-
lis of Scotland, the magistrates and council, and the merchants' and trades' houses of
this city sent deputations of their number to welcome His Majesty to Scotland, and
to present loyal addresses.

On Saturday the 17th August 1822, His Majesty held a Court in his palace of
Holyrood, when the deputations, (introduced by Mr. Peel, one of His Majesty's
principal Secretaries of State,) were most graciously received, and had the honour of
kissing the King's hand.

Deputation from the Magistrates and Council.

The Plon. John Thomas .Mston, Lord Provost,

Baillies.

Laurence Craigie, jun. Esq. James A. Brown, Esq. William Graham, jun. Esq.

William M'Tyre, Esq. William Snell, Esq. Stewart Smith, Esq. B. R.

James Reddie, Esq. advocate, James Spreull, Esq. city James Browne, Esq.

legal assessor. chamberlain. councillor.

Robert Thomson, Esq. James Cleland, Esq. super- James Lumsden, jun. Esq.

town clerk. intendent of public works* councillor.

Joseph Reid, Esq. William Lang, Esq. chief Arclid. M'LelIan,juii. Esq.

Depute town clerk. magistrate of Gorbals. councillor.



* On this occasion the Right Hon. the Lord Chief Commissioner Adam, (in addition to former po-
lite attentions) did the comjjilor ttip honour of requesting the King's acceptance of a folio copy of
the Enumeration and Statistical 'lahlcs of Glasgow. In accepting the gift His Majesty was most
graciously pleased to express his approbation of the work, and to admire the Glasgow typography of
Wilsou and Hedderwick, ajid LiiiitUag of Carsc.



200 APPENDIX.

Yeaks.

Deputation from tlie Merchants' House.

William Smith, Esquire, Dean of Guild,

James Ewing, Esq. Robert Findlay, Esq.

Kirkman Finlay, Esq. Charles Stirling, Esq.

Deputation from^the Trades' House.
James Hunter, Esquire, Convener.
: Robert Hood, Esq. Laurence Phillips, Esq. Benjamin Mathie, Esq. legal adviser.
The accommodation in Edinburgh for the joint deputations, state carriages and liv-
eries, ivere on a scale suited to the wealth and respectability of the commercial metro-
polis of Scotland. Among the presentations from Glasgow, not connected with the
public bodies, there were Lieut Col.D. Alston, Glasgow sharpshooters; Mungo Nutter
Campbell, .Andrew Ranken, Colin Campbell, William Hamilton, Charles Stirling,
Jun. Esquires, &c. &c.
1822 Glasgo-w Directory. — This publication was begun by Mr. Nathaniel Jones in 1789,
but was soon discontinued. It was resumed in 1799 by Mr. Walter M'Feat, and
has been continued annually ever since. In 1789, the names of the Merchants,
Manufacturers, Traders and Shopkeepers published in the Glasgow directory, amount-
ed only to 1559, while in 1822, they amounted to 6678, viz.

AB CDEFGH I KLM
In 1789. — 74 — 163 — 14,3 — 149 — 19 — 53 — 96 — 78 — 25 — 21 — 67 — 114
In 1822. — 262 — 594—546—302 — 68 — 258 — 422—363 — 130 — 134 — 241 — 548

ivi


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 22

Online LibraryJames ClelandStatistical tables relative to the city of Glasgow, with other matters therewith connected → online text (page 22 of 23)