Copyright
James Edward Nightingale.

The church plate of the county of Dorset. With extracts from the returns of church goods by the Dorset commissioners of Edward VI. 1552 online

. (page 13 of 19)
Online LibraryJames Edward NightingaleThe church plate of the county of Dorset. With extracts from the returns of church goods by the Dorset commissioners of Edward VI. 1552 → online text (page 13 of 19)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


whom the patronage is now vested. He died 1705.

Stoke Wake. — The only plate here is a Chalice with Paten
cover, measuring in height 6\m. and i in. respectively. Both
pieces are marked with a small italic q for the year 1633, 'he
maker's mark being I G with a covered cup in base, enclosed
within a plain curved shield. The form of the cup, however, is
Elizabethan, and it has a rich band of foliated intersecting strap-
work engraved round the bowl.

TuRNWORTH. — The vessel in use in this parish as a Chalice is
a copy of a two-handled cup in the adjoining village of Winter-
borne Whitchurch, of the year 1653, under which head it will be
found illustrated. The dimensions are, height, 3in. ; diam. of
bowl, 45in. ; depth of bowl, 2|in. It bears the hall mark of
1764; the second letter of the maker's name, a W, is alone
decipherable ; the ornamentation round the bowl is the same, but
the handles are plainer than those found on the Whitchurch
example, which was probably not originally made for ecclesiastical
use. On the rim of the cup is engraved " R. Cobbe . Vicar 1765."
There is no record in the parish books of this gift. The Rev.
Richard Cobbe, M. A., Vicar of Ampthili, co. Bedford, was collated
to Turnworth in 1741 ; he was also Vicar of Winterborne Whit-
church at the time of his death in 1770. This accounts for the
circumstance of finding these two cups of similar, but unusual
design, and of quite different dates. Mr. Cobbe seems to have
been a man of considerable energy ; in early life he was Chaplain
to the Bombay Factory, and was the principal instrument in
building a church there ; he also rebuilt the vicarage house at
Winterborne. His name is recorded on one of the church bells



there, cast in 1768, as "The Rev'' M'' Richard Cobbe." — A Paten,
6iin. diam., on foot. It is engraved with the sacred monogram,
and underneath " Turnworth 1 864." It was given by W. Parry
Okeden, Esq.

WiNTERBORNE Clenston. — A Chalice, Sin. in height, with
Paten cover, 3|in. — A Paten with foot, yin. diajii- — A Flagon,
tankard-shaped, with domed cover, loin. in height. These all
bear the sacred monogram, together with the hall marks of 1840.
They were presented to the parish by Mrs. Michel, of Whatcomb,
who built the church at her sole cost in 1840.

W'lXTERBORNE HouGHTON. — An Elizabethan Chalice and
Paten cover ; height of cup, 6|in. The only mark found is the
provincial Dorset monogram. ;#^^ The design is similar

to many others bearing this >?• ^^ * mark. On the knob
of cover is engraved the date 1574. Round the bowl is a single
band of interlacing and floriated strap-work, with an egg and
tongue moulding encircling the base. — A Paten of plate form,
with gadrooned edge, gin. diam., having the Britannia standard
hall mark of 17 14. It is inscribed with the letters * LP*
surmounted by * T * , and underneath this, " The Gift of
Margaret Lawrence Widow of Richard Lawrence late Rector of
this Parish 1783." — The Flagon, of modern cruet form, is of
plated metal.

WiNTERBORNE Stickland. — A Chalicc, gin. in height, and a
Paten, 6in. diam. These bear the hall marks of 1687; the
maker's mark F S with a pellet above and below, all within a
shield. On the cup is inscribed, in dotted letters, " In usum
Ecclesiae de Stickland An : do : 1688." The form of the bowl is
straight-sided at base, with a slightly projecting lip, on a short stem
with knot. The paten is quite in the form of an Elizabethan
cover, and might have been so used. There is no entry or
reference to these pieces in the parish books. Two pewter Alms-
plates still e.xist.

WiNTERBORNE WHITCHURCH. — The Chalice in use here is
somewhat in the shallow form of the earliest known examples,
having two handles, but is reuilly a 17th century cup of the
Commonwealth period, and might not originally have been made
for church use. It measures 3in. in height, 4|in. diam., with 2 Jin.



I4S

depth of bowl. The hall year mark indicates the year 1653 ; the
maker's is a bird within a plain shield. An illustration of this cup
is given. The handles are designed in the form of scroll brackets,
much in vogue during the 17th century, and are handsomer than
those found on the copy of this cup made for the neighbouring
parish of Turnworth more than a hundred years later. On the




WiN'TERBORNE WHITCHURCH,



rim is inscribed, in old characters, the letters I S ; these are
probably of the same date as the cup, but there is also engraved
in letters of a later character, " J. Squibb 1692." The
respectable family of Squibb has been settled in this neighbour-
hood from an early period. Joannes Squibb was living 17th
Edward IV. In a taxation roll for this parish, 36 Henry VIII.,
the name of John Squibb appears. In the registers between 1600
and 1 700 they are very numerous ; the Christian name of John
seems to have been continuously given to the eldest son. It is
possible that this cup might have been a piece of family plate
given by James Squibb, sen., who died in 1692 ; or it might have
been given to the church as a chalice by John Squibb, who was
living at Whitchurch at the time the cup was made in 1653.
Ecclesiastical matters seem to have been in a disorganised state
here during the Commonwealth, for the following entry is
quoted by Huichiiis from the parish register :— " James Squibb
and Jone Andrews was married the twentieth of October, 1656,
by mee, Mist. John Squibb, esquier, and noe acception or
deniall made against it."* It does not appear from the list of

* In the time of the Commonwealth marriages were performed by the
justices of the peace, and these marriages were declared valid without any
fresh solemnization by stat. 12 Car. ii. c. 33. Note in Hiitchins, vol. i. p. 50.



146

Vicars who was in charge of the parish at this time. The name of
Tobias Walton occurs in 1603, and' in 1658 that of John Wesley,
M.A., who was appointed preacher here before the Restoration, but
does not seem to have been regularly ordained ; he was ejected in
1662. John Wesley was progenitor of the founders of Wesleyan
Methodism, and son of Bartholomew Wesley, Rector of Char-
mouth. He married a niece of the Rev. Thomas Fuller, D.D.,
Prebendary of Salisbury and Rector of Broadwindsor, the well-
known learned and quaint divine. — Paten No. i, yin. diam., with
foot, given by Rev. George Maxwell, Vicar, 1855. — Paten No. 2,
55 in. diam., bearing the figure of the Agnus Dei, and inscribed
imderneath, "E dono H. E.Wynne, in usum Ecclesire B.M.V.
Whitchurch 1870." — A Flagon, of cruet form, i2Mn. in height,
inscribed "H. E. Wynne in usum Ecclesise B.M.V. Whitchurch,
et in memoriam matris suaj dono donavit, 1870." — There is,
besides, an Alms-dish of brass, also a pewter Flagon, marked 1823,
no longer in use.

WooLLAND. — The plate here consists of an ornamental silver-
gilt service. A Chalice, Sin. in height — A Paten, 7iin. in diam.
— A Flagon, i2in. in height— All presented by Charles Rashleigh
Williams, Louisa Maria Foot, and Jeffery Robert Foot, relatives
of Montague Williams, Esq., who rebuilt the handsome church
in 1856. Nothing is now known of the destination of the old
plate.



APPENDIX No. I.



A large number of Churches in the county of Dorset were
formerly under the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean of Salisbury.
There were six Royal Peculiars. The Dean gave institution and
induction to no less than 37 parishes; he formerly visited in
person once in three years, but afterwards the remoter places were
generally visited by his officials. John Chandler, before he
became Bishop of Salisbury, was appointed Dean in 1404 ; in the
following year he made his Visitation through the county of
Dorset, when careful Inventories were made of all the Church
ornaments, &c., belonging to those parishes under his jurisdiction.
This document is preserved in the Registry at Salisbury. The
few following extracts, which refer to the Chalices and Patens
only, specify those objects which these parishes possessed when
Dean Chandler visited them in 1405. The most important is
that of Sherborne. No inventory is found of Bere Regis. There
is throughout very little variation in the description of the vessels,
only such small changes as " stella et luna " in place of " sol et
luna" and such like. In one parish, the name of which is left out,
there is mentioned a chalice with an inscription, " calicem salva-
toris accipiam." Nearly all the subjects usually found engraved
in the centre of early medieval Patens are met with in this
inventory, with the exception of the sacred monogram ; the most
common is the " Manus Salvatoris." The whole document is one
of very great interest and value. Dean Chandler afterwards made
similar Visitations to his Peculiars in the Wilts part of the diocese.

Extracted from Dean Chaundler's Register.

Shireurn. — Ornamenta Ecclesie de Shirburn In primis unus
calyx argent' deaurat' cum cruce in pede et ymagine S'cte
Trinitatis in medio patele Item i calyx argent' et deaurat'
sine cruce in pede cum patela in cujus medio manus
Salvatoris Item i calyx argent' et deaurat' .... et in
medio patele Agnus Dei Item i calyx argent' infra deaurat'



cum patela in cujus medio manus Salvatoris sol et luna Item
unus alius calyx ejusdem secte in omnibus Item unus calyx
argent' et infra deaurat' cum patena in cujus medio manus
Salvatoris Item unus calyx argent' defract' cum patela qua
D'ns suspendebat.

Lyme. — Ornamenta Ecclesie de Lyme In primis unus calyx
deaurat' et argent' cum crucifixo in pede calicis et ymagine
Salvatoris in medio patele Item unus alius calyx argent'
deaurat' cum sua manu in medio patele Item unus calyx
argent' infra deaurat' cum crucifixo in pede deaurat' et
ymagine Salvatoris in medio patele.

(Long) Burton. — Unus calix argent' infra deaurat' et in parte
extra deaurat' cum crucifixo in pede.

HoLNESTE. — Unus calix argent' infra deaurat' cum patela in medio
manus Salvatoris.

(North) Wotton. — Unus calix argent' infra deaurat' et in parte
extra cum cruce deaurat' in pede et patela in medio manus
Salvatoris.

FoLKE. — Unus calix argent' et deaurat' cum patela in medio manus
Salvatoris Item j calix argent' intra deaurat' cum patel' tinnio
medio manus Salvatoris,



APPENDIX No. II.



The manuscript from which the following extracts are taken is
the Return of Church goods, &c., made by the Dorset Commis-
sioners of Edward VI., 1552.* This document, which is written
on both sides of a very long roll, contains full particulars of all
Church goods at that time belonging to each parish. The only
part here copied is that relating to the Chalices and Patens, to-
gether with the names of the then incumbents, and the church-
wardens and parishioners, to whom these objects were entrusted
for future parish use. In comparing the names of the rectors and
vicars of the different parishes entered in the Commissioners'
return, with the carefully-prepared list attached to each parish
in Hutchins, it is found that they agree in almost all cases, thus
showing that the returns of the Dorset Commissioners were
made with all due care. The considerable number of parishes
in which a curate only is found seems to indicate an unsettled
state of things. The word " parson" is used throughout for
" rector." The names of rectors and vicars given by the Commis-
sioners, in addition to those already found in Hutchins, amount
to nineteen. These parishes are as follows : — East Stoke, Fleet,
Winterborne Came, Langton Long Blandford, Stourpaine, Pim-
perne. Hermitage, Winterborne Clenston, Maperton, Whitchurch
Canonicorum, Hooke, Hawkchurch, Wraxall, Belchahvell, Over
Compton, Thornford, Long Burton, Shaftesbury St. Peter, and
Holwell. The names of churchwardens and of other parishioners
attached to the returns of each parish are of some interest, as they
probably represent the principal people, of the smaller parishes at
least, living in their respective places at that time. Some of these
names are met with in Hutchins, but they could nearly all, most
likely, be traced by reference to parish registers, where these
documents are found to exist as early as 1552.

* Exchequer. Queea's Remembrancer. Church Goods, -j^



15°

THE DEANERY OF DORCHESTER.
The Parish of Studland. — One Chalice of silver, weighing
six ounces. To the church's use there is allowed one Chalice.
Sir Richard Lucas parson there. William Mundaye, Thomas
Strode, churchwardens; John Talbot, parishioner, jur'.

(Richard Lucas, pbr., was instituted loth Jan., 1536; the
next institution occurs in 1578.)

The Parish of Knoll. — Two Chalices of silver, whereof one
is parcel gilt and the other ungilt, being both worth by estimation
;^S. To the church's use there is allowed one Chalice, ungilt.
The residue of the premisses committed to the charge and
custody of the churchwardens and other the parishioners next
underwritten. Sir John Hame, parson there. William Gillat,
Robert Cake, churchwardens ; William Frank, William Bylle,
parishioners, jur'.

(John Hamme, 1545, occurs 1554. — The names of Gyllet
and Francke are found frequently in the parish register.)

The Parish of Wvke Regis. — One Chalice of silver gilt. To
the church's use there is allowed one Chalice. Sir Jamys Maye,
curate there. Robert Randall, Christopher Pytte, churchwardens ;
William Randall, Thomas Gybbons, Henry Broke, Thomas
Gawden, parishioners, jur'.

The Parish of Est Stafford. — One Chalice of silver, with a
cover. To the church's use there is one ChaHce. Sir Richard
Mathewe, vicar there. William Longe, Thomas Talbot, church-
wardens ; Robert Loder, William Urvyn, parishioners, jur'.

(Richard Mathew, pbr., instituted 6th Nov., 1538, on the
resignation of W. Byrt. — The Longs were persons of consideration
in the parish at this time.)

The Parish of Styple. — Two Chalices, parcel gilt, weighing
both of them xxvj ounces. To the church's use there is allowed
one Chalice. The residue of the premisses are committed to the
charge and custody of the churchwardens and other the
parishioners there next underwritten. Sir George Marche,
parson there. Denys Bonde, William Baker, Roger Smalle,
Thomas Barefote. jur'.

(George Marshe, instituted 25th Dec, 1511, occurs 1554.
Dennys Bonde, of Lutton, in this parish, born here 1500, ob. 1560.



'SI

This property had long l)een held by the Bonds as lessees ; they
acquired the fee simple in 1615, and are still its possessors.)

The Parish of Corffe Castell. — Two Chalices of silver
weighing xx ounces. To the church's use there is allowed one
Chalice. The residue of the premisses are committed to the
charge and custody of the churchwardens and other the parish-
ioners next underwritten. Richard Bowler, Nicholas Systyan,
churchwardens ; John Turbervill', John Trew, Robert Vyncente,
parishioners.

The Parish of Toller Fratrum. — One Chalice parcel gilt.
To the church's use there is allowed one Chalice. John Sam-
wyse, Henry Abraham, parishioners, jur".

(Although no incumbent is mentioned here, it must have
been John Greenway, who held the living from 15 16 to 1558, and
was buried here as Vicar. He was succeeded for one year by
Roger Bond, who had previously been rector of Long Bridy.
— From Register "The 22 day of Februarie departed this world
John Samwayes, esquire, lord and patron of Toller Fratrum, and
his corps was buryed the 28 of the same moneth, 1585, 28 Eliz.
ReginK, aged about 62 yeares old.")

The Chapel of Kyngeston within the Parish of Corf. — One
Chalice of silver weighing 8 ounces. To the church's use there
is allowed one Chalice. Henry Colyftbrd, Robert Gawdy, Symon
Davy, parishioners, jur'.

(Henry Culliford, of CuUiford, co. Devon. After Sir Thomas
Arundel's attainder, 6 Edward VI., 1552, the manor of Encombe
in this parish was granted to Lord Fitzwarren, who in the same
year had licence to alienate it to Robert Culliford, Esq., eldest
son of the above Henry. The manor remained in this family
until 1734.)

The Parish of Westlulwourth. — One Chalice with a Paten of
silver, weighing 10 ounces. To the church's use there is allowed
one Chalice. Sir Peter Roffe, curate there. Thomas Edwardes,
Thomas Quyntyn, churchwardens ; John Bowith', John Jacobe,
Robert Gurnard, Thomas Whyte, parishioners.

The Parish of Tvneham. — Two Chalices of silver, whereof one
is gilt and the other broken, and both are worth by estimation
;^4. To the church's use there is allowed one Chalice, &c. The
residue of the premisses are committed to the charge and custody
of the churchwardens and other the parishioners next under-



152

written. Sir Adam Richeman, parson there. Thomas Fawell',
Henry Benet, churchwardens ; John Wylkes, WilHam Cokeram,
parishioners.

(Adam Rickeman, pbr., instituted Rector 28th Nov., 1537,
ob. 1581.)

The Parish of Langton Matravers. — One Chalice of silver,
parcel gilt, weighing 1 1 ounces. To the church's use there is
allowed one Chalice of silver. Peter Harvy, Denys Tommys,
churchwardens ; Thomas Cheksford, John Browne, John Cradeler,
parishioners.

The Parish of E.stholme. — One Chalice of copper gilt. To
the church's use there is allowed a Chalice. Nicholas Rowe,
William More, churchwardens ; John Coffyn, Richard Hamper,
parishioners.

(East Holme was an alien priory, of the Clugniac order, and
a cell to the priory of Montacute, co. Somerset. Nicholas Rowe
was bailiff to the cell of Holme.)

The Parish of Wourth. — A Chalice with a Paten of silver,
weighing 11 ounces iii quarters. To the church's use there is
allowed one Chalice. The residue of the premises are committed
to the charge and custody of the churchwardens underwritten.
Edward Golde, John Evan, churchwardens.

The Parish of Sandewyche. — Two Chalices of silver and gilt,
one, being broken, weighing 13 ounces, the other weighing 12
ounces. To the church's use there is allowed one Chalice. The
residue of the premises are committed to the charge of Richard
Towpe and William Leade, churchwardens. Sir Thomas Rosse,
curate there. Richard Towpe, William Leade, churchwardens ;
Nycolas Holwall, Richard Wyringe. jur'.

(Mrs. Elizabeth Toope, wife of Abraham Story, gave a
handsome Altar Service to Swanage Church in 1693. In 1786
Mr. Toup left money for the poor.)

The Parish of Kemervdge. — One Chalice, gilt. To the
church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir William
Sherrard, curate there. Robert Tyler, Henry Helyer, church-
wardens ; Robert Barr>', parishioner.

The Chapel of Bvndon. — A Chalice of silver, &c. All which
goods are committed to the charge of John Clyves and Thomas



Eyer. William Veake, curate. John Clyves, Thomas Eayer,
parishioners.

(The chapel was probably a domestic one of the Abbot of
the Cistercian Abbey here, and continued afterwards by the
Howards.)

The Parish of Est Stoke. — One Chalice, worth by estimation
33s. 4d. To the church's use there is allowed one Cope, &c.
The residue of the premises are committed to the charge and
custody of the parishioners and churchwardens next underwritten.
Sir John Charde, parson there. Richard Bowcher, William
Crocker, churchwardens : Roger Stephyn, William Strode,
parishioners.

(The name of John Charde does not appear in Hutchins.
The last Rector given by him, previous to this, occurs in 15 13, and
the next that of Richard Dearlove, rector of Holy Trinity,
Wareham, who seems, at one time, to have held East Stoke ; he
was instituted to Wareham 1570. — The Strodes of Parnham
afterwards held lands here, which are still in the hands of their
descendants ; they were also patrons of the living.)

The Parish of Est Lulwourthe. — Two Chalices, whereof one
is parcel gilt, worth by estimation ^3 — the other worth 40s. To
the church's use there is appointed the " least" Chalice. The
residue of the premises are committed to the charge and custody
of the churchwardens and the parishioners next underwritten.
Sir John Maxwell, vicar there. John W^oullfrayme, Thomas
Harrys, churchwardens ; Walter Smedmore, Richard Dygnell,
John Delawaye, parishioners.

(John Maxwell, pbr., was instituted 18th Aug., 1531 ; his
successor was instituted 1554. The entries of the family of Smed-
more are very numerous in the registers.)

The Parish of Woolle. — A silver Chalice, worth by estimation
26s. 8d. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice.
Sir Symon Harbyn, vicar. Thomas Pursse, Mathewe Hoode,
churchwardens. Thomas Prestly, Robert Aweye, parishioners.

(Formerly a Chapel of Ease to Combe Keynes, now a
Perpetual Curacy.)

The Parish of Combkavnes.— One Chalice of silver. To the
church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir Symon Harbyn,



154

vicar there. Richard Payne, William Dollynge, churchwardens ;
Thomas Batter, parishioner.

(Simon Harbyn, pbr., with the Chapel of Wool, inst. i8th
April, 1542. This Chalice is still in use in the Parish Church.
The name of Dolling is frequently met with in this neighbourhood.)

The Parish of Portelond. — One Chalice with a Paten parcel
gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice, &c.
The residue of the premises are committed to the charge and
custody of the churchwardens and other the parishioners next
underwritten. Sir THO>r.^s Gold parson there. Thomas Brake,
John Wycket, churchwardens ; Philipe Knighte, William Peers,
William Jenynge, parishioners.

(Thomas Gowlde, instituted 1550 ; his successor in 1570.)

Wynterborne Monckton. — One Chalice with the Paten of
silver. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice, &c.
The residue of the premises are committed to the charge and
custody of the churchwardens and other the parishioners under-
written. Sir John March parson there. William Porter,
Robert Alyn, churchwardens ; William Mychell, Walter Rede,
parishioners.

(John Marshe instituted 1548 ; his successor in 1575.)

The Parish of Chaldon Herynge. — One Chalice with a Paten
of silver. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice, &c.
The residue of the premises are committed to the charge and
custody of the churchwardens and parishioners underwritten.
Sir John Drayton, clerk, parson there. Henry Jesope, John
Tylly, churchwardens ; Richard Clyfif, John Leade, John Talbot,
John Patrick, parishioners.

(John Drayton, pbr., instituted Feb., 1541.)

The Parish of Coiipton Valance. — One Chalice of silver,
with a Paten parcell gilt. To the church's use there is appointed
one Chalice, &c. The residue of the premises are committed to
the charge of the churchwardens and other the parishioners under-
written. Sir John Huberte, curate there. John Warham, William
Templeman, churchwardens ; Raff Margery, Richard Combdeane,
parishioners.

The Parish of Upwaye. — One Chalice, with a Paten parcel gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice, (S:c. The



'55

residue of the premises are commitled to the custody of the
churchwardens and other the parishioners underwritten. Sir
Thomas Andros, curate there. Jamys Payne, John Drewe,
churchwardens ; Thomas Bayly, John Payne, parishioners.

(The manor of Westbroke in Upwey was held by John
Payne in 1599. A Mrs. Payne of Upwey left money to the poor
in 1786.)

The Parish of Mayne Martell. — A Chalice of silver ungilte.
To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir Lewis
Cade, curate there. Robert Sherwyn, Robert Hodder, church-
wardens ; Jamys Talbot, Robert Clemente, John Kyngman,
William Valence, parishioners.

( — Talbot, Esq., acquired this manor of Maine Martell, or
Broad Maine, from the Delawarrs, about the time of Henry VIII.
Hutchins gives a later pedigree of this family, in which the name
of James Talbot does not appear.)

The Parish of Faringedon alias Wvnterborne Germavne. —
One Chalice of silver. To the church's use there is appointed
the said Chalice. Sir William Marten, parson. Robert
Williams, Esq.

(William Martyn, instituted 1546, his successor in 1558. In
the reign of Henry VI. this place fell by marriage to Sir William
Martin, whose descendants presented to the Rectory. — Robert
Williams, of Herringston, ob. 1569, married first a Trenchard,
afterwards a De la Lynde. He is the only person in this docu-
ment described as an esquire.)

The Parish of Stockewoode. — One Chalice of silver. To the
church's use there is appointed the said Chalice. Sir William
Knvghte, parson. John Alleyne and John Bartelet.

(William Knight is entered by Hutchins without any date. —
John Bartelett, of Stokewood, miller, bought a piece of land here
in I577-)

The Parish of KnyghtOxV. — One Chalice of silver parcel gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed the said Chalice. Sir
John Cockerell, parson. John Cache, John Parsons, church-


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 13 15 16 17 18 19

Online LibraryJames Edward NightingaleThe church plate of the county of Dorset. With extracts from the returns of church goods by the Dorset commissioners of Edward VI. 1552 → online text (page 13 of 19)