Copyright
James Edward Nightingale.

The church plate of the county of Dorset. With extracts from the returns of church goods by the Dorset commissioners of Edward VI. 1552 online

. (page 14 of 19)
Online LibraryJames Edward NightingaleThe church plate of the county of Dorset. With extracts from the returns of church goods by the Dorset commissioners of Edward VI. 1552 → online text (page 14 of 19)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


wardens ; Robert Edwards, Peter Boyte, John Trenchefelde,
parishioners.

(George Cokerel, pbr., instituted Dec, 1540; the next in-
stitution mentioned is in 1579.)



iS6

The Parish of Osmyngeton. — One Chalice of silver parcel gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed the said Chalice. Sir
James May, curate. Thomas Pytte, Roberte Eyer, church-
wardens ; Thomas Eyer, Robert Wilshyre, John Goodridge,
parishioners.

The Parish of Byncombe. — A Chalice, with a Paten of silver
parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed the said
Chalice ; the residue committed to the charge of these under-
written. Mr. William Baker, parson. William Bounde, John
Pownte, churchwardens ; William Myntren, William Chyppe,
parishioners.

(William Baker occurs as Rector in 1545.)

The Parish of Frampton. — Two Chalices of silver parcel gilt,
with their Patens. To the church's use there is appointed one
Chalice parcel gilt, &c. The residue of the premises com-
mitted to the charge of these underwritten. Sir Robert Cosines,
curate. Gilberte Whyte, William Bartlett, churchwardens ;
Richard Cover, William Knyghte, parishioners.

The Parish of Flete. — One Chalice, parcel gilt. To the
church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir William
Mawndefylde, vicar. John Syme, Robert Wilshyre, church-
wardens ; Walter Lovell, Thomas Hawte, parishioners.

(The name of William Mawndesfylde is not given by
Hutchins. The earliest entry he gives is Thomas Lane, Vicar,
1556. No institution to this place appears in the Salisbury
registers. A William Maundfield occurs as rector of All Saints,
Dorchester, instituted 1543.)

The Parish of Wvnforde Egle. — One Chalice of silver parcell
gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice.
Bernard Golde, John Nosseter.

(This is a chapel of ease to the mother church of Toller
Fratrum.)

The Parish of Fordingeton. — One Chalice, with a cover of
silver parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one
Chalice of silver, with the cover parcel gilt. Sir John Cryche,
vicar. William Baron, John Caine, churchwardens ; Roger
Wyndesor, Rycharde Porter, John Baron, sec, Roger Cosen.

(Joseph Creech, instituted 27th January, 1551. He resigned
1553)



157

The Parish of Morton. — One Chalice of silver parcel gilt.
To the Church's use there is appointed one Chalice. John
Norrys, Richard Bolte, churchwardens ; John Gouke, Nycholas
Panchard, Nicholas Longe, William Shalle, parishioners.

(Robert Reynolds was instituted Rector this year, 1552.)

The Parish of Winterborne Cane. — One Chalice, gilt, with
a cover. To the church's use there is appointed the said Chalice,
&c. The residue committed to the charge of these underwritten.
Sir William Knyght, parson. Giles Winterboy, Henry Skynner,
churchwardens ; William Thomas, John Boyte, parishioners.

(The name of William Knyght is not given by Hutchins in
his list of Rectors.)

The Parish of the Holve Trvnitie in Dorchester. — A Chalice
of silver parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one
Chalice. Sir Richard Hunte, curate. John Palmer, warden ;
John Corbys, William Stone, sec'. (? Sidesinat) John Knyghton,
Thomas Whythorne, John Beryet, William Holman, parishioners.

The Parish of All Saincte in Dorchester. — One Chalice of
silver parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one
Chalice. Sir John Godwyn, curate. Owyn Hayman, Robert
Hunt, wardens ; Thomas Belton, Paule Robarde, John Cove,
Michael Myryfelde, parishioners.

The Parish of Saincte Peter in Dorchester. — Two Chalices of
silver parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one
Chalice, &c. The residue to the charge of these under-
written. Sir Nicholas Knewstube, parson. Thomas Gaye,
Luke Aden, churchwardens ; John Churchell, Robert Snellynge,
Water Thomas, John Stratford, Robert Aden, Mathew Wolfe,
parishioners.

(The Rectory of St. Peter's seems to have been frequently
held with that of the Holy Trinity. The name of Nicholas
Knewstubb occurs amongst the Rectors of the latter Church,
instituted 1543.)

The Parish of Charmyster. — One Chalice of silver gilt. To
the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir William
Elior, curate there. Walter Hillard, Walter Dyrynge, church-
wardens ; William Harbyn, Erasmus Hillard, Edward Alyn,
parishioners.



158

(The Parish of Charminster is included in the list of Defaults.
" There lacketh one chalice sold by the Parishioners, weighing
12 02. at 4s. 8d. the ounce.")

The Chapell of Forston. — One Chalice, &c. All which pre-
mises are committed to the custody of these persons underwritten.
Henry Hunte, John Sherwyn, parishioners.

(A part of Charminster ; here was a Chapel, which was
officiated in 1550, but has since been turned into a barn.)

The Parish of Warmewell. — One Chalice of silver. To the
church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Thomas Gyllat,
Henry Bayly, churchwardens ; Robert More, Thomas Coffyn,
parishioners.

The Parish of Chykerell. — One Chalice of silver parcel gilt,
with a cover. To the church's use there is appointed one
Chalice, &c. The residue are committed to the charge of the
churchwardens and others the parishioners underwritten. Sir
John Jesope, parson there. William Jesope, John Lyllyngton,
churchwardens ; Thomas Bryne, John Betiscombe, parishioners.

(John Jessoppe, pbr., instituted 22nd Nov., 1538. The
next Rector mentioned is in 1581. The family of Jessop held
lands and had a residence at East Chickerell.)

The Parish of Poxwyll. — One Chalice with a Paten of silver
parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice,
&c. The residue are committed to the custody of the church-
wardens and others underwritten. Sir John Batrok parson
there. Thomas Guye, Robert Baker, churchwardens ; William
Nottynge, Robert Edwards, parishioners.

(John Battrock, pbr., instituted Sept. 23, 1534. The next
institution mentioned is in 1571. — In the 2nd Eliz., the advowson
was granted to Richard Baker, Esq., and Richard Sackvile, Knt.,
after which the patronage passed with the Manor.)

The Parish of Wytcombe. — One Chalice of silver. To the
church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir John Dawnton
curate there. John Longe, Mathewe Birte, churchwardens ; John
Weith, John Smarte, parishioners.

The Parish of Ower Movne. — [No mention of Chalice]. To
the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir Thomas



159

Lymner, curate. John Graunte, Richard Holme, churchwardens ;
Nicholas Pursse, Robert Holmer, Lewis Gawdyn, Roijert Gawdyn,
parishioners.

The Parish of Stratton. — Two Chalices of silver — one is
broken. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice,
&c. The residue are committed to the custody of the church-
wardens and other the parishioners next underwritten. Sir
Thomas Ruggwaye, curate. Thomas Gyfford, ^Villiam Joysse,
churchwardens ; Robert Harrys, John Gyfford, Thomas Bagwell,
Philipe Tybbe, parishioners.

The Parish of Bradford Peverell. — One Chalice of silver,
weighing i6 ounces and a-half and half a quarter. One other
Chalice, weighing i8 ounces. To the church's use there is
appointed the least Chalice, &c. The residue of the premises
are committed to the charge of the churchwardens and others
parishioners underwritten. Sir Robert Roberds parson there.
Thomas Devynyshe, Thomas Dyrynge, churchwardens ; John
Churchill, John Sherwyn, Thomas Churchill, Richard Lye,
parishioners.

(Robert Roberts, A.M., pbr., instituted 14th July, 1532, oh.
circa 1552.)

The Parish of Wvnfryth Newborouie. — One Chalice, silver
and gilt, with a cover. To the church's use there is appointed
one Chalice. Sir William Jane, curate. John Frank, John
Cobbe, churchwardens ; William Helyer, John Stanley, Edward
Hore, William Smyth, parishioners.

(This parish is included in the list of Defaults : " There
lacketh one Chalice of silver and one Pax of silver, weighing 19
ounces, at 4s. 8d. per ounce.")

The Parish of Frome Vauchurche. — A Chalice of silver parcel
gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir
John Mannfeld, parson there. Richard Bouger, Thomas
Whytefeld, parishioners.

(John Mansfield, instituted 1544; the next institution is in
IS54-)

The Parish of Sutton Poyntes. — One Chalice parcel gilt. To
the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir William
Baker, vicar there. Robert Gregory, Nicholas Gregory, church-



i6o

wardens ; Edmond Chapell, William Anthony, John Melbury,
parishioners.

(Now Preston. — William Baker, 1550, ob. 1558.)

The Parish of Wynterborne Marten. — Two Chalices of silver,
one gilt. To the church's use there is appointed the worst
Chalice, &c. The residue of the premises are committed to the
charge of the churchwardens and others parishioners underwritten.
William Thorpp, vicar there. Richard Whytell, Thomas
Adams, churchwardens ; John Stephens, John Caddy, Edward
Hunt, John Whyte, John Strongman, parishioners.
(William Thorpe was collated 1543.)

The Parish of Radypoll. — One Chalice of silver parcel gilt,
with a cover. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice.
Sir Canelme Hytt, parson there. Thomas Samways, John Bugler,
churchwardens ; Rychard Mychell, Raf. Stanley, parishioners.

(The name of Kenelm Hitt appears as Rector in 1551. — The
family of Buckler resided here. Walter Buckler, apparently the
elder brother of John the churchwarden, was knighted i Edw. VI.,
and on Queen Elizabeth's accession was made one of her Privy
Council.)



THE DEANERY OF PYMPERNE.

The Parish of Wychehamton.— One Chalice of silver with the
Paten parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one
Chalice of silver. Sir Harry Wylshe, parson. John Bason,
John Cheviet, Richard Scovell.

(Henry Walshe, instituted 1548. — The Scoville family held
property here, and at Upwey.)

The Parish of Stanbrvdge. — One Chalice. To the church's
use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir John Rodberde, parson.
John Barron.

(Called also Hinton Parva. John Rodberd was instituted
IS49-)

The Parish of Chalburv. — One Chalice of silver, with the
Paten parcel gilt. To the use of the church there is appointed



i6i

one Chalice of silver. Sir William Augustyne, parson. William
Fysher, Robert Byles ; Walter Lovell, John Henscrige.
(William Austin was instituted in 1551.)

The Parish of Farnham. — One Chalice of silver, with the
Paten. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. .Sir
James Muckeley, parson. William Fysher, John Ludby ; John
Godderd, Nicholas Curley.

(James Muckeley, chaplain, instituted 15th Oct., 1517. The
next institution recorded is in 1579.)

The Parish of Hanlev. — One Chalice of silver. To the
church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir John Chamber,
curate. Thomas West, William Were ; John Butler, John Morgan.

The Parish of Hamone. — One Chalice parcel gilt. To the
church's use there is appointed one Chalice. .Sir Christopher
FowE, parson. Morgan Poldon, William Maye.

(Christopher Fowey, pbr., instituted 19th July, 155 1.)

The Parish of Wymborne omnium Sanctorum alias Over Stouer.
— One Chalice of silver parcel gilt. To the church's use there
is appointed one Chalice. Sir William Curoo, curate. Richard
Southe, Thomas Good ; John Batton, William Sryven.

(The Church of Wimborne All Saints was destroyed in the
last century ; it seems formerly to have been the mother church
of Wimborne St. Giles.)

The Parish of Tarrant Rusheton. — One Chalice of silver.
To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir Robert
Denys, parson. Symont Smart, Morgan Newman ; John Lope,
William Lyle, John Holmer.

(Robert Dyonise, pbr., instituted 25th Feb., 1528. Hutchins,
however, gives two other institutions after Denys, before 1552.)

The Parish of Gussage S'cte Michaelis. — Two Chalices of
silver. To the church's use there is appointed the worst Chalice.
The residue of the premises committed to the custody of these
underwritten. Sir John Gryffythe, parson. Walter Dobbs :
John Harvye, Anthony Ashelye.

(John Griffith was instituted in 1550.— In 1557-8 the manor
of Gussage St. xMichael was granted to Walter Dobbs for 30 years.



l62

paying ^^13 per annum. — This Anthony Ashelye might have been
the father of the celebrated Sir Anthony Ashley.)

The Parish of Chettell. — One Chalice of silver. To the
church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir Robert Seller,
curate. Thomas Androwes, Thomas Hardinge ; Robert Greene,
John (iybbens.

The Parish of Hvnton Martell. — One Chalice of silver,
parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice.
Sir Roger Phillips, curate. William Weston, Thomas Everydge,
Thomas Bumberd ; William Barne, Edmonde Skotte, Robert
Rushell.

(This parish is included in the list of Defaults. " There
lacketh one Chalice sold by the parishioners for 40s.")

The Parish of Alh.\llown CiussAGE. — One Chalice of silver
parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice.
Sir Robert Rand, vicar. John Vysser ; Phyllyp Burt.
(Robert Rande was instituted in 1550.)

The Parish of Tarrant Cavnston. — One Chalice of silver,
with the Paten, parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed
one Chalice. Sir John Meryke, parson. Thomas Bold, George
Elmes ; Robert Trottell, Roger Hardinge, Robert Southe.

(John Meryk, pbr., instituted 31st March, 1538, ob. 1564.
The manor of Keyneston was a possession of the Abbey of
Tarrant. The Cistercians here, as in many other places, were
wealthy in farming stock. In the 26th Henry VHI. Thomas
Bole was bailiff of the manor.)

The Parish of Edmundeshill. — One Chalice of silver. To the
Church's use there is appointed one Chalice of silver. Sir John
Newton, parson. John Harrys, John Willys ; John Amore,
Robert Marys.

(John Newton, chaplain, instituted to the Rectory of Ed-
mondsham, 15th February, 15 16. His name occurs again in
I534-)

The Parish of Horton. — Two Chalices of silver. To the
church's use there is appointed the worst Chalice. The residue
of the premises are committed to the custody of these under-
written. Sir Richard Sander, curat. Thomas Ellyot, Richard



i63

Hooker, Roger Arneye ; Roger A\'alton, Richard Blanchard,
William Gyhhes.

The Parish of Tarrant Gonfyld. — One Chalice of silver
parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice.
Sir Thomas Dackombe, parson. Stephen Mundye, Harry Swett-
ney, Walter Frye ; Thomas Frye, Richard Stoner, Richard Cheryet.
(Thomas Daccomb was instituted 1549, ob. 1567. On the
outside of the chancel wall of Tarrant Gunville Church is a stone
bearing a shield of arms, and the following inscription : — here •

LIETH • S 'T ■ D • PARSON : ALL ' FOWRE " BE ' BVT ' ONE : EARTHE •

FLESCH • woRME ' AND ' BONE : M ' ccccc ' LXVH. He was of the
family of Daccomb, of Stepleton, where they held lands from an
early period.)

The Parish of Langton. — Two Chalices of silver parcel gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed the worst Chalice. The
residue of the premises are committed to the custody of these
underwritten. Sir John Mynterne, parson. John Williams,
Richard Heyworthe ; Matthewe Vry, William Vry.

(There is no entry in Hutchins of John Mynterne to the
Rectory of Langton or Long Blandford. He was probably of the
family of Mintern, of Newland, which held property at Batcombe,
in the time of Elizabeth. — The parish register has many entries of
the family of Ffrie, in the Dorset dialect Vry.)

The Parish of More Crychell. — One Chalice of silver parcel
gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir
Robert Colles, parson. John Rosse ; John Sevyer, Christopher
A\'ere.

(Robert Colles was instituted 1551.)

The Parishe of Longe Crichell. — One Chalice of silver
parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice.
Sir Water Baron, parson. Water Fry, John Ame ; ^\'ater
Cowper, Henry Gyles.

(Walter Baron, pbr., instituted iSth March, 1533. The next
institution recorded is in 1558.)

The Parish of Tarrant Launston. — Two Chalices of silver,
the one parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed the
worst Chalice. The residue of the premises are committed to the
custody of these underwritten. Sir Denys Oldfyld, curate

M 2



164

William Harvye, Nicholas Fry, John Webbe ; Richard Upright,
Alyn Frampton, Stephen Webbe.

(Here was a chapel of ease to Tarrant Monkton ; it was
taken down in 1762. — The family of Harvey held property here.
The name of William Harvye appears in their pedigree in the
Visitation of 1623.)

The Parish of Cranborne. — Three Chalices of silver. To the
church's use there is appointed one Chalice of silver. The residue
of the premises are committed to the custody of these under-
written. Sir Thomas Bagsha, vicar. John Samson, Henry
Doole ; Richard Gould, William Whyttaker.

(Thomas Bagshaw, pbr., instituted 27th September, 1525,0b.
1566.)

The Parish of Tarrant Mon'acorum. — One Chalice of silver
parcel gilt. To the use of the church there is appointed one
Chalice of silver parcel gilt. Sir John Gasle, vicar. Roger
Frampton, John Turner ; Nicholas Lambert, Richard Yvemay.
(John Gasle, instituted 1551.)

The Parish of Wymborne S'ct Egidii. — One Chalice parcel
gilt. To the use of the church there is appointed one Chalice.
Sir Harry Devall, parson. Thomas Crosse, Richard Thorne ;
Richard Prynce, Robert Mase.

(Henry Duval, pbr., instituted 23rd December, 1534. The
next institution recorded is in 1558. — Upwimborne All Saints, and
Upwimborne Monkton were parts of this parish.)

The Parish of Tarrant Hvnton. — One Chalice of silver parcel
gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir
Richard Gybbs, curate. Richard Gawler, Richard Tayler ; Robert
Dyet, Christopher Morys.

The Parish of Stower Payne. — One Chalice of silver parcel
gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice of silver.
Sir John Baker, vicar. John Pall, William Jenes ; John Cooker,
John Allen.

(The name of John Baker does not appear in the scanty list
of Vicars given in Hutchins. — Lands here, late belonging to Christ-
church Twynham Priory, were held of the King in Chief by John
Coker 17 Henry VITI. John Coker held them 15 Eliz.)



t65

Capella de KNor.TON. — One Clialicc of silver. To the
church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir Richard Sander,
curate. Thomas Savage, Edward Bennet.

(Knolton v^-as a chapel of ease annexed to Horton. It was
repaired and used about 1730, but is now a perfect ruin.)

The Parish of Ashmeyre. — One Chalice of silver parcel gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice parcel gilt.
Sir John Radyshe, parson. \\'illiam Were, George Mowlon ;
John Welles, Roger Burlton, William Beyrlye.

(John Radiche was instituted to the Rectory of Ashmore in
1551-)

The Parish of Shapwyke. — Two Chalices of silver. To the
church's use there is appointed one Chalice of silver. The
residue of the premises are committed to the custody of these
under written. Sir William Bradford, vicar. Robert Taylor,
William Spenser ; Thomas Christopher, Thomas Lacy.
(William Bradford was instituted 1545.)

The Parish of Pymperne. — One Chalice of silver parcel gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir John
Oliver, parson. John Selby, John Pytt ; John Hunt, Harry
Jenkens, John Mellan.

(The name of John Oliver does not occur in Hutchins' list
of Rectors. He gives Robert Brock with the date 1552.— The
name of Pitt abounds here in the parish registers.)

Capella de Upwymborne. — One Chalice of silver. To the
church's use there is appointed one Chalice of silver. Harry
Doll, John Doll, churchwardens.

(Upwimborne Monkton. (?) About A.D. 1300 the Rectory
of Upwimborne, now St. Giles', was divided into two moieties,
one being held by the Lord of the Manor, the other by the
Abbess of Tarrant. After the Dissolution it seems to have been
in the patronage of the Crown.)

The Parish of Woodyatts.— One Chalice, parcel gilt, of silver.
To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir Lewes
[blank] curate there. Barnerde Goulde.

(Now included in Pentridge. A small church existed here
and was officiated in by the Rector of Pentridge about 1650, after
which it was neglected, and the ruins of it pulled down about
1744. This place is now almost depopulated.)



i66

The Parish of Crafforde Parva. — One Chalice of silver with
Paten. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice of
silver. Sir John Crosse, curate. John Langforde ; Wyllym
Bittys, Thomas Harvy.

(Crawford Parva or Tarrant Crawford. No institutions occur
in the Sarum registers : the cure was probably served from the
Monastery here.)

The Parish of BLANDFORDFORUiM. — Two Chalices of silver, one
gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice of
silver. The residue of the premises are committed to the custody
of these underwritten. Sir Thomas Claghton, vicar. John
Swayne, William Pytt ; Peter Munsell, Nicholas Pytt, Thomas
Rawlynson.

(Thomas Claughton, pbr., instituted 12th May, 1521 ; the
next recorded institution in 1554. — In 1549 the Duke of Somerset
had licence to alienate certain lands here to Robert Reve and
John Swain.)

The Parish of Pentrvdge. — One Chalice with the Paten of
silver. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice of
silver. Sir Thomas Colman, parson. John Heryngton, Hugh
Cawdy ; Walter Kerlye, John Garrard.

(Thomas Colmare was instituted in 155 1.)



THE DEANERY OF WHYTCHURCHE.

The Parish of Helton. — Two Chalices of silver. To the
church's use there is appointed the "least" Chalice of silver. The
residue of the premises are committed to the custody of these
underwritten. Sir William Stvbv, vicar. John Whynell, John
Crocker ; Gylberde Keynell, Robert Mychell.

(William Stiby was Rector of Hilton in 1545. He occurs
also in 1556.)

The Parish of Afpudell. — Two Chalices of silver, one gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed the worst Chalice. The
residue of the premises are committed to the custody of these
underwritten. Sir Thomas Lvllvngton, vicar. John Besant,
Peter Helyer ; Nicholas Header, Edward Ruddeler, John Roberts.
(Thomas Lillington 1534. — The handsome carved pulpit in



i67

the church here was 'Mnayd'' in 1547 by Thomas l.ylynton, a
monk of Cerne, who became, in the language of that day, " honest
and conformable." His name, with the same date, is found on
one of the finely carved benches, of which the entire seating of
the church is composed. Illustrations of these carvings will be
found in Hutchins. )

The Parish of Stokewake. — One Chalice, parcel gilt. To the
church's use there is appointed one Chalice, parcel gilt. Sir
Robert Chiles, parson. Roger Mapowder, Richard Crocker ;
John Cober, Raff Kynman.

(Robert Childe instituted 1545 ; the next institution recorded
is in 1583.)

The Parish of Stynsforde. — One Chalice of silver. To the
church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir Roger
Hyllarv, vicar. William Jacobbe, John Pears, Thomas
Hodgen ; Mathewe Byrt, Robert Coocke, Robert Perren.
(Roger Hillary, pr. 1550.)

The Parish of Pulham. — Two Chalices of silver. To the
church's use there is appointed the " least" Chalice. The residue
of the premises are committed to the custody of these under-
written. Sir John Meadon, parson. Lawrence Hoper, William
Compton ; Harry Mychell, William Chappell, William Willes.
(John Meidon, instituted 1540.)

The Parish of Godmanston. — Two Chalices of silver, parcel
gilt, with their Patens. To the church's use there is appointed
one of the worst Chalices. The residue of the premises are
committed to the custody of these persons underwritten. Sir
Roger Hardy, parson. Thomas Pyllard ; John Roberte, John
Mellynge.

(Roger Hardye, instituted 1546. Hutchins also gives a
second institution of Edward Sergeant, in 1546 (?).

The Parish of Almer. — One Chalice of silver and gilt, with the
Paten. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice of
silver. Sir Thomas ^VHVTHERS, parson. Nycholas Wylshire,
John Furmage ; Thomas Furmage, Henry Baker, William
Lokyer.

(Thomas Wythers, pbr., instituted 8th April, 1535. Patron,
Elizabeth, Abbess of Shaftesbury. The next institution recorded
is in 1572.)



t68

The Parish of Wareham Martini. — One Chalice of silver,
broken, one (Chalice of copper, gilt. To the church's use there is
committed one Chalice of copper, gilt. The residue of the
premises are committed to the custody of the persons under-
written. Sir William Bretlond, parson. Henry Hardinge,
Richard Smythe : Henry Oxforde, John Bugge.

(William Bretland, 1550. The church of St. Martin still


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 14 16 17 18 19

Online LibraryJames Edward NightingaleThe church plate of the county of Dorset. With extracts from the returns of church goods by the Dorset commissioners of Edward VI. 1552 → online text (page 14 of 19)