Copyright
James Edward Nightingale.

The church plate of the county of Dorset. With extracts from the returns of church goods by the Dorset commissioners of Edward VI. 1552 online

. (page 15 of 19)
Online LibraryJames Edward NightingaleThe church plate of the county of Dorset. With extracts from the returns of church goods by the Dorset commissioners of Edward VI. 1552 → online text (page 15 of 19)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


exists, but is in a ruinous state.)

The Parish of Charleton. — One Chalice of silver, parcel gilt.
To the use of the church there is appointed one Chalice. Sir
Robert Bycley, curate. John Jenkens, John Shipman ; Mathewe
Kent, Mathewe Loder.

The Parish of Fvphed Nevell. — One Chalice parcel gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Nicholas
Phillips, William Rawles ; John Whyt, John Barber.

(This parish is included in the list of Defaults. " There
lacketh one Chalice, which was sold by the parishioners for ^3."
— No name of any Rector is given by Hutchins during this
century after William Poxwell, who was instituted 1511, and
again occurs in 1534. — The family of Rawles had property here;
their pedigree is in Herald's Vist. 1623.)

The Parish of Svdlvng cum Capella de Hylfyld and Upp
SvDLYNG. — One Chalice of silver parcel gilt. To the church's
use there is appointed one Chalice. Pertaining to the chapels
above written two Chalices of silver parcel gilt, &c., committed
also to the custody of these underwritten. Sir Robert Dowle,
vicar. John Newman, Thomas Bayly ; Harry Davy, Richard
Bellet, Thomas Hardy.

(Robert Dowle, pbr., instituted 31st March, 1534. Patron,
the Abbot of Milton. The next institution recorded is in 1565,
by Winchester College.)

The Parish of Armvtage. — One Chalice parcel gilt. To the
church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir George Wylson,
curate. William Mabrey, Huhe Pery.

(The Church of Hermitage was a peculiar of the Dean of
Sarum ; there is no vicarage or rectory mentioned in any valor ;
it is now a perpetual curacy. Hutchins gives no entry of a curate
at this time.)



The Parish of Mynterne. — One Chalice of silver. To the
church's use there is appointed the said Chalice. Sir Thomas
Penfold, parson. Robert Locke, Thomas Gold ; Roger Harben,
John Stephens.

(Thomas Pontfold, pbr., instituted 26th Jan., 1525, by the
Abbot of Cerne. The next recorded institution is in 1577.)

The Parish of Wynterborne Stycklond. — One Chalice of
silver parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one
Chalice. Sir John Roper, curate. Nycholas Chapell, William
Cotton ; William Hylks, Richard Devonshire.

The Parish of Durweston. — One Chalice of silver parcel gilt.
To the Church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir James
Claughton, curate. John Polden ; William Rogers, Thomas
Olyver.

(There was a Thomas Claghton, chaplain, instituted to this
Rectory in 1509, and his name occurs in 1544. James Claughton,
the curate, might have been some connection of his.)

The Parish of Pudeltowne. — Two Chalices. To the church's
use there is appointed the worst Chalice. The residue of the
premises are committed to the custody of these underwritten.
Sir John Warrent, curate. John Genge, Thomas Trenchfyld
John Bartlet, William Stone, Thomas Tyler, Robert Genge.

The Parish of Bloxworthe. — Two Chalices of silver. To
the church's use there is appointed the worst Chalice. The
residue of the premises are committed to the custody of these
underwritten. Sir Edmonde Dorsett, parson. William Rige,
Anthony Wheler ; William Wolfrays, John Coverage.
(Edmund Dorset, instituted ist June, 1551^-

The Parish of Pudeltrenched.— j Chalis sylver whyt. To the
church's use there is appointed one Chalice of silver. Sir
Edward Hebbs, vicar. James Lavender, Richard Warren ;
John Colyer, John Cosse', Richard Colyer.

(Edward Hebbes, instituted 1545.— The death of John
Collier is recorded on a brass in the church, ist June, 1564.
The family of Collier formerly had a residence there.)

The Parish of St. Mvchaelle within the Borough of Wareham.
One Chalice of silver parcel gilt. To the church's use there is



I70

appointed one Chalice. Sir Edmonde Barwyke, parson.
Mathew Knyght, John Grene ; John Harvey, Robert Atkyns,
John Adowne.

(Simon (w) Berwyke, pbr., instituted ist July, 1541. St.
Michael's was a small church ; after having been turned into a
barn, it was pulled down in the last century.)

The Parish of Tvnkei.ton. — One Chalice of silver. To the
church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir Thomas
Lyllyngton, parson. One Chalice of silver. To the church's
use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir Thoma.s Lyllyngton,
parson. John Style, Harry Margeret, John James.

(This is a discharged living. It does not occur in the old
Valor. In 1534 it is styled a Rectory. The name of William
Lillington occurs as incumbent or lessee in 1564. — In 36th
Henry VIII., the Manor Cliff in this parish, late parcel of the
Monastery of Milton, was in the tenure of John James and his
family.)

The Parish of Howton. — One Chalice of silver parcel gilt. To
the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir Thomas
Hodges, parson. Robert Osmonde, Thomas Wyke ; Thomas
Nyghtyngale, John Warren.

(Thomas Hodgys, pbr., instituted Rector of Winterborne
Howton 26th Dec, 1534, on the presentation of Edward Lord
Stourton. He resigned the living in 1584 and died 1586.)

The Parish of Pudelhynton. — Two Chalices of silver, the one
parcel gilt the other white. To the church's use there is appointed
the Chalice of silver ungilt. The residue of the premises are
committed to the custody of these underwritten. Sir William
GoLDWYNE, parson. John Stanly, Richarde Savege, John Devys ;
Henry Lomynge, Owen Hyllary.

(William Goldwyn, m.a., instituted 1550. In the church is a
brass plate recording the death of " Master Wyllam Goldynge
sometyme Parson of thys Paryshe," ob. 1562.)

The Parish of Spetvsbury. — Two Chalices, one double gilt the
other parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed the
Chalice parcel gilt. The residue of the premises are committed
to the custody of these underwritten. Sir Vyncent Tutty, curate.
Hugh Ketell, William Dewey ; William Brewdstock, William Frye,
Walter Were, John Davy.



The Parish of Lytchet Matkavers. — One Chalice of silver
parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice.
Sir John Fletcher, curate. Thomas Spycer, Austion Goslynge,
Richard Sherwyne ; William Randall, Thomas Barwyk, John
Carpynter.

The Parish of Wynterborne Selson. — Two Chalices of silver.
To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. The residue
of the premises are committed to the custody of these under-
written. Sir Robert Wvlton, parson. John Riggs, Thomas
Hobby ; William Fry, William Hobby.

(Robert Wilton, chaplain, instituted T2th February, 1522, on
the resignation of T. Halcomb, " dispensed with, being but 20
years old." The next institution recorded is in 1574.)

The Parish of Glandfeld Wootton. — One Chalice of silver
parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice.
Sir John Conizede, parson. John Martyn, Nicholas Hyllary;
John Downton, John Peter.

(John Conized, pbr., instituted to the Rectory of Wotton
Glanville 25th April, 1525. The next institution recorded is in

1570-)

The Parish of Newton Bucklond. — Two Chalices of sylver
parcell gylt, one hole gylt. To the church's use there is appointed
one Chalice parcel gilt. The residue of the premises are com-
mitted to the custody of these underwritten. Sir Robert Frvdav,
vicar. Hughe Crocker, William Hakewoode, William Bownde;
William Dunnynge, William Whyt, William Alkens.
(Robert Friday occurs 1546 ; died here in 1570.)

The Parish of Longe Cheselbourne. — One Chalice with the
Paten of silver parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed
one Chalice. Sir Thomas Parham, parson. John Arnold,
Thomas Vevyon, Richard Kete, junr. ; Richard Kete, senr..
Edward Rygge, William Englond.

(Thomas Parnham, pbr., instituted 9th Dec, 1507, by the
Abbess of Shaftesbury. The next recorded institution is in 1564.
The family of Keyte held this manor before the Reformation.
In their pedigree, given by Hutchins, no second Richard Keyte
is mentioned.)



172

The Parish of Mylton. — Two Chahces of silver, one gilt the
other white. To the church's use there is appointed the " worst"
Chalice. The residue of the premises are committed to the
custody of these underwritten. Sir Roger Crokeyt, curate.
Thomas Shepperde, John Harbin ; Harry Steyte, John Baylonde,
Richard Lake.

(Roger Crocket is entered as Curate by Hutchins in 1550.)

The Parish of Turners Pudell. — One Chalice of silver
parcel gilt. To the church's use there is committed one Chalice.
Sir John Brychell, parson. Nicholas Bucke. Nycholas Meader ;
Thomas Whyt, Jeffrey Diet.

(John Birkel, or Birkhill, instituted 6th Aug., 1536.)

The Parish of Ibryngton. — One Chalice with the Paten of
silver. To the church's use there is appointed the said Chalice.
Sir Homfrey Clark, curate. Thomas Aplyn, Thomas Galpyn ;
John Rowdon, William Hayne.

(In the Herald's Visitation of Dorset, 1623, is a pedigree of
the family of Hayne, beginning with this William Hayne de
Iberton, alias Ebrington.)

The Parish of Tolpudell. — One Chalice all gilt. To the
church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir Thomas Wallis,
vicar. Robert Lany, John Boyes, ^Villiam Jacobbe ; John Lyllyng-
ton, Walter Chipman, John Brownynge.
(Thomas Wallis occurs in 1543.)

The Parish of WHYTcyuRCHE. — Two Chalices of silver. To
the church's use there is appointed the " worst" Chalice. Sir
John Langton, vicar. John Squybbe, Peter Benfylde.

(John Langelond, pbr., instituted to Winterborne Whitchurch
4th Jan., 1534. No other institution is recorded during this
century. — The Squibbs were a very prolific family in Dorset at
this time.)

The Parish of Haselbeare. — Two Chalices of silver, one gilt
the other white. To the church's use there is appointed the
" worst" Chalice of silver. The residue of the premises are com-
mitted to the custody of these underwritten. Sir Thomas Sall,
parson. Alfradoce Younge, Thomas Vyne ; William Robens,
Edmonde Jolefe.

(Thomas Sawle occurs as rector of Hazelbury Bryan in 1545.)



The Pairsh of Netherseron. — One Chalice parcel gilt. To
the church's use there is appointed one chalice. Sir Thomas
Salter, curate. Thomas Jacobbe, William Crosse, Thomas
Norman.

(The tithes of Nether Cerne seem to have been entirely
engrossed by the Monastery of Cerne, which probably served it by
one of the monks, or a stipendiary priest.)

The Parish of Cerne. — One Chalice gilt, one ungilt. To the
church's use there is appointed the worst Chalice. The residue
of the premises are committed to the custody of these under-
written. Sir William Dyer, curate. Harry Williams, gentleman,
William Abrydges, William Fayre ; Thomas Alumbryge, John
Norman, John Watkens.

(This place is included amongst the list of Defaults : " There
lacketh one chalice and a bell sold by the Parishioners." The
Curate, William Dyer, was an inmate of the Abbey of Cerne at
the time of its dissolution in 1539. He was granted a yearly
pension of io6s. 8d. during his life. — Harry Williams, styled a
" gentleman," was of Cerne, and afterwards of Tyneham, ob. 1589.
" Cerne, after the dissolution, was given to one of the family of
Williams, who could be but a lessee, and parted with his lease
shortly after.'")

The Parish of Okeforde Shvllvnge. — One Chalice of silver
parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice.
William Bayly, Thom.^s Freke, parsons. Thomas Kaynes,
John Harrys ; Robert Bayly, George Morvyn.

(The Rectory was anciently divided between the Priory of
Montacute, co. Somerset, and the Manor. — William Bayly, clerk,
was instituted loth January, 1522 ; patron, the Lord of the Manor,
— Thomas Freke, pbr., ^I.A., instituted loth December, 1526;
patron, the Prior of Montacute.)

The Parish of Wollonde.— One Chalice of silver parcel gilt.
To the Church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir John
Whyt, curate. John Hayson, Jun., Thomas Baker, alias Galpyn :
John Hayson, senr., John Carter.

(No Rector or Vicar occurs in the Sarum or Bristol registers
before the Reformation. John W'hite seems to have been the
first on the list of curates, who have been continuous down to
the present day.)



174

The Parish of Lytchf.t Mvnster. — One Chalice of silver
parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice.
Robert Abbot, John Smythfyld, Richard Samson, William
Padnor ; Thomas Cheseman, Giles Dyker, William AVyllyams.

The Parish of Plushe. — One Chalice of silver with the Paten.
To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice of silver.
Sir Robert Frvday, vicar. William Talboot, Renold Dampny,
John Myller, senr.

(This was a Chapel of ease to Buckland, where the name of
this Vicar is found.)

The Parish of St. Trvnvtis in Wareham. — Two Chalices of
silver gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice of
silver. The residue of the premises are committed to the custody
of these underwritten. Sir William Baker, parson. William
Pople, John Baker ; Thomas Averell.

(William Baker, pbn, instituted 21st December, 1534. He
also served the annexed Chapel of Arne.)

Aron Chappell annexed to Wareham. — One Chalice of silver.
To the use of the church there is appointed one Chalice. Sir
William Baker, parson. William Baron, Thomas Cowron ;
Hugh Leson, Anthony Dollynge.

The Parish of Sturmyster Marshall. — One Chalice of silver.
To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir John
Furber, curate. William Bursey, Thomas Padner ; Thomas
Randall, WilHam West.

(This Chalice is still in use in the parish church.)

The Parish of Mordon. — One Chalice of silver parcel! gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed the said Chalice. Sir
Robert Wynter, curate. Thomas Wolfreis, Richard Arne, Harry
Goulde ; William Wryte, John Adams, John Whyseler.

The Parish of St. Maries in Wareham. — One Chalice of
silver gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice.
Sir John Hole, curat. Roger Fletcher alias Brayne, Robert
Thrynge ; Humfrey Cadbury, AValter Edmonde.

(In 1565 Edward Neville had license to alienate the manor
of Arne to Nicholas Cadbury and his heirs.)



The Parish of Alton. — One ChaHce, parcel gilt. To the
church's use there is appointed the Chalice. Sir John Crocker,
curate. Edward Sharke, Thomas Loveles ; Richard More, John
Stycklonde.

The Parish of Anderston de Fvfe Ashe. — One Chalice. To
the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir Nycol.-\s
[blank], parson. Water Wryght, William Comyshall.

(Nicholas Garnet, clerk, was instituted 26th August, 1555, to
Winterborne Anderson, iiHas Five Ash, or Vyfash.)

The Parish of Burston. — One Chalice. To the church's use
there is appointed the Chalice. Sir Denys Pole, curat. Thomas
Basset, William Naowe ; Richard Hall, William Knolle.

The Parish of St. Peter's in Wareham. — Two Chalices parcel
gilt. To the church's use there is appointed the worst Chalice.
The residue of the premises are committed to the custody of these
underwritten. William Bonman, Walter Edmonde ; Humfrey
Catbury, Roger Fletcher.

(This church was desecrated soon after the Reformation.)

The Parish of Beare Regis. — Two Chalices, having but one
cover. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. The
residue of the premises are committed to the custody of these
underwritten. Sir William Valaxce, vicar. Nicholas Grant,
John Sargent ; Thomas Towreberfyld, George Hart.

(William Vallance, pbr., instituted 14th July, 1545. — The
ancient and knightly family of Turberville had their seat and
sepulture here.)

The Parish of Wynterborne Regis. — One Chalice parcel gilt.
To the use of the church there is appointed one Chalice. Sir
William Valence, curate. John Galton, Richard Crumpelher ;
John Formage, Thomas Squyer.

(Winterborne Kingston is attached to Bere Regis.)

The Parish of Maupowder.— One Chalice. To the church's
use there is appointed one Chalice. John Sander, Mathewe
Creche; William Gredelyn, John Stanley.

(In Hutchins' list is the name of John Cryche, pbr., instituted
15th February, 1538, patron the King, by reason of the attainder
of his predecessor for high treason. The next entry is John
Sanders, 1575, patron the Queen.)



176

The Parish of Develyshe. — Two Chahces of silver. To the
church's use there is appointed one ChaUce ungih. The residue
of the premises are committed to the custody of these under-
written. Sir William Hunt, curate. Nicholas Dyvarde, Robert
Olyver.

(The Rectory of Dewlish is attached to Milborne St.
Andrew.)

The Parish of St. Andrewes Mylborne. — Two Chalices of
silver with their Patens, one gilt, the other ungilt. To the
church's use there is appointed one Chalice of silver ungilt. The
residue of the premises are committed to the custody of these
underwritten. Sir Richard Dodinge, vicar. John Keylways,
Richard Bartlet.

(Richard Dowding was instituted Vicar in 1551.)

The Parish of Upcerne. — One Chalice of silver parcel gilt. To
the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir Thomas
Pennfold, parson. John Hodge, Barthelmewe Dogoode ; Richard
Dogood, John Hart.

(Thomas Punfold, pbr., instituted 15th December, 1536. No
later institution is recorded during this century.)

The Parish of Bl.andforde Marv. — Two Chalices, one gilt
the other parcel gilt. To the use of the church there is ap-
pointed one Chalice parcel gilt. The residue of the premises are
committed to the custody of these underwritten. Sir Thomas
Elyson, parson. James Godderde, Thomas Kaynell, Harry
Chettell ; Gylberde Pountesey, John Burt.
(Thomas Elyston occurs in 1550.)

The Parish of Turneworthe. — One Chalice of silver. To
the use of the said church there is appointed one Chalice. Sir
William Bayly, vicar. William Chepman, John Tollervey ;
John Melmouth, Hugh Chepman.
(William Bayly, collated 1534.)

The Parish of Corff Molen. — One Chalice of silver parcel
gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice of
silver. Sir Water Mathewe, curate. Richard Leyston, Richard
Wyllys, William Wyllys ; Renold Frampton, Morrys Dyll.



177

The Parish of Eversute.^Two Chalices of silver parcel gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed the least Chalice. The
residue of the premises are committed to the custody of these
underwritten. Sir Hugh Gyllat, parson. Thomas Fysher,
Richard Hensebury, Alyxander Payne ; John Powne, Richard
Daw, Homfrey Bushell.

(Hugh Guylot, or.Gylot, M.A., instituted 22nd April, 1525 ;
he occurs in 1534. There is another institution to Evershot, given
in Hutchins, of John Biggs in 1534 (?) — The name of Hugh
Guylot, with the same dates, is found in the list of Rectors of
Frome St. Quentin.)

The Parish of Frome Quvntayne. — One Chalice of silver
parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice
of silver. Sir Richard Bartlet, curate. William Beare, John
Byshopp; Robert Hobbs, Roger Rydall.

The Parish of Melcombe Horsey. — One Chalice of silver.
To the church's use there is appointed the Chalice. Sir Renold
Dowle, parson. William Sprynge, Robert Condyt.

(Reginald Dowle, pbr., instituted 19th August, 1530.)

The Parish of Clenston. — One Chalice. To the church's use
there is appointed one Chalice. Sir Roger Gould, parson.
Robert Jones.

(The name of Roger Gould does not appear in Hutchins'
list of Rectors of Winterborne Clenston.)



THE DEANERY OF BYRPORTE.

The Parish of Chardestock. — One Chalice, all gilt, with a
cover ; one Chalice of silver parcel gilt, with a cover. To the
church's use there is appointed one Chalice, all gilt, &c. The
residue of the premises to remain in the custody of these under-
written. Sir John Cryche, vicar there. John Coxton, William
Estmunde, Water Clement.

(John Creech occurs in 1546; he died 1578. A letter from
"John Cryche p''ste" will be found printed in Hutchins, vol. ii.,
p. 126. — In this year, 1552, a small manor in this parish was
conveyed in fee by the Duke of Suffolk to William Coxton, gent.)



178

The Parish of Stocklonde. — One Chahce of silver parcel gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice of silver. Sir
John Knyght, curate there. Harry Bowett, William Spyller,
Thomas Hamlyne ; William Webber, AVilliam Carter, Paul
Towker.

(The parish of Stockland, with the attached chapel of
Dahvood, is situated in a corner of the county, almost surrounded
by that of Devon. It now forms part of the diocese of Exeter.)

The Chapel of Dalwoode, within the Parish of Stocklonde. —
One Chalice of silver parcel gilt. To the church's use there is
appointed one vestment, &c. (no mention of Chalice). The
residue of the premises are committed to the custody of these
underwritten. Harry Hame, Richard Whytmore.

(The parish of Dalwoode is included in the list of Defaults.
" There was stolen one chalice, price 30s.")

The Parish of Southe Parrat. — One Chalice with the Paten
of silver parcel gilt. Mostron infra parochiam predict'. — One
Chalice with the Paten of silver. To the church's use there is
appointed one Chalice. The residue of the premises are com-
mitted to the custody of these underwritten. Sir Hughe Farman,
parson there. John Ode, John Guppey, Richard Irion.

(Hugh Farneham, pbr., instituted 29th July, 1536, ob. 1560.)

The Parish of Maperton. — One Chalice of silver parcel gilt,
with the Paten. To the church's use there is appointed one
Chalice. Robert Morgan, gentleman, parson there. Symonde
Gyll, John Travys.

(The entry of Robert Morgan as "gentleman, parson" is not
found in Hutchins ; he states that Peter Beauchamp was instituted
in 1555 on the resignation of his predecessor, Oliver Gybbes.
The patronage at this time rested with the Morgan family, who
had long been established here. The Robert Morgan mentioned
is apparently the one who built the Elizabethan house at Maperton,
where is preserved a portrait of Robert Morgan, dated 1560, ret.
51.)

The Parish of Byrton and Shipton. — Two Chalices of silver
parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice,
&c. The residue of the premises are committed to the custody of
these underwritten. Sir John Cotrell, parson there. John



179

Gierke, William Gregory, Roger Gierke, Richard Knyglit, Harry
Spenser.

(John Cotterel, LL.D., Archdeacon of Dorset and Wells,
occurs in 1550, ob. 1572. He seems to have resigned the living
of Burton Bradstock with Shipton, as another institution took place
in 1564.)

Shipton Gapella de Bvrton. — One Ghalice of silver parcel
gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Ghalice. Sir
John Gotrell, Richard Knyghte, Harry Spenser.

The Parish of Ghedyoke. — Two Ghalices of silver, one parcel
gilt, the other double gilt. To the church's use there is appointed
one Ghalice parcel gilt. The residue of the premises are com-
mitted to the custody of these underwritten. Sir John Ludlow,
vicar there. William Kyche, John Williams, John Hynde ; John
Beare, William Orchard, William Woodcocke.
(A chapel to Whitchurch Ganonicorum.)

The Parish of Whitchurche. — One Ghalice all gilt, with the
cover. To the church's use there is appointed one Ghalice. Sir
John Ludlowe, vicar there. John Longe, William Wyse, William
Huddy ; Nicholas Longe, William Elyote, John Warehiii.

(The name of John Ludlowe as Vicar does not appear in
Hutchins ; he gives no institution after John Letteley, whose
name occurs in 1547, until the year 1595.)

The Parish of Longe Bryddv and Lyttell Bryddv. — Three
Ghalices of silver all gilt, with covers. To the use of the church
and chapel there are appointed two Ghalices. The residue of the
premises are committed to the custody of these underwritten. Sir
Roger Bonde, parson there. Thomas Byrde, Robert Bartlet,
Nycholas Bartlet ; John Gyllion, John Marten, Thomas Gake.

(Roger Bond, A.B., instituted 27th September, 153 1, was son
of William Bond, of Herringston. The next institution recorded
is in 1554. From this it would appear that Roger Bond must
have resigned ; his name occurs as having held the living of Toller
Fratrum for one year, and was buried there, as vicar, in August
1559. The Gommissioners found one Ghalice missing here, which
had been sold by the parishioners for 33s. 4d.)

The Parish of Askerswell.— One Ghalice gilt, with a cover.
To the church's use there is appointed one Ghalice gilt. Sir
n 2



iSo

William Derby, parson. Thomas Egerdon, Robert Derby, sen.,
John Hardy ; Peter Mydway, John Gyll, Cristopher Darby.

(Robert Darby, pbr., instituted 7th August, 1534. No other
institution is recorded until quite the end of the century. The
Eggerdons were old land owners in the parish. Thomas Egerdon
was buried here 1561. — Christopher Darby, whose surname is
constantly found in the registers, ob. 1603.)

The Parish of Coscombe. — Three Chalices of silver parcel gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed the least Chalice. Sir


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 15 17 18 19

Online LibraryJames Edward NightingaleThe church plate of the county of Dorset. With extracts from the returns of church goods by the Dorset commissioners of Edward VI. 1552 → online text (page 15 of 19)