Copyright
James Edward Nightingale.

The church plate of the county of Dorset. With extracts from the returns of church goods by the Dorset commissioners of Edward VI. 1552 online

. (page 16 of 19)
Online LibraryJames Edward NightingaleThe church plate of the county of Dorset. With extracts from the returns of church goods by the Dorset commissioners of Edward VI. 1552 → online text (page 16 of 19)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


John Gyll, curate there. William Barnes, Robert Heren : John
Hopkens, Robert Woodyer.

The Borough of Bvrtport. — Two Chalices, one all gilt, the
other parcel gilt, with the covers. To the church's use there is
appointed one Chalice parcel gilt. The residue of the premises
are committed to the custody of these underwritten. Sir Richard
Harrys, parson there. George Hyggens, Christopher Bettis-
combe, John Alforde ; Richard Tygyn, William Davy, Richard
Davy.

(The name of Richard Harris occurs as Rector in 1548. —
All the names of parishioners here given were persons of con-
sideration in the town. They all served the office of Bailiff at the
following dates. Geoge Hyggyns, 1549 — 57 ; Christopher Bes-
combe, 1550; John Alford, 1544 — 7 ; Richard Tygens, 1552 — 6 ;
Richard and William Davage, 1554 — 5.)

The Parish of Portysham. — One Chalice gilt. To the church's
use there is appointed one Chalice of silver. Sir Raffe Haserde,
vicar. Walter Samforde, Richard Hardy ; Hugh Samwaies, Owen
Hebbes, Thomas Bartrame.

(Ralph Hasard, pbr., was instituted vicar by the Abbot of
Abbotsbury, Aug. 21, 1525. His name occurs again in 1534. —
In 37 Henry VIH. divers lands here, lately belonging to the
Abbey of Abbotsbury, were held by John and Henry Samways.
The names of Hardy and Samways are frequently found in the
parish registers.)

CoRTON. — One Chalice (no further mention). Sir Thomas
Waters, curate. William Hebbes, Owen Hebbes.

(A part of Portisham. The chapel still remains entire, but
long since desecrated and converted into a barn. In Bishop
Mortival's Register there is a long instrument relating to it. —
Owen Hebbes, at his death in 1567, held this free chapel with
other lands.)



iSi

The Parish of West Compton. — One ChaUcc of silver parcel
gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir
John Samwaies, parson there. William Hardy, Richard Garlande ;
Thomas Sargent, Jles Churchell.

(John Samwyse, pbr., was instituted to the rectory i ilh April,
1530, ob. 1574. — In the 20th Henry VIH. the Abbot of Milton
leased a moiety of this manor to Robert Hardy. — A considerable
estate in this parish formerly belonged to the Churchills.)

The Parish of Loders. — Two Chalices of silver, one all gilt,
the other parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one
Chalice parcel gilt. The residue of the premises are committed
to the custody of these underwritten. Sir John Baker, curate.
John Hutys, John Marshe, John Larder ; Harry Browne, Myles
Warren, Nycholas Warren.

(The names of Browne and Larder occur frequently in the
parish registers. There is still extant " A trewe inventory of all
the goods and chatelles of John Browne of Loders, vewed and
prysed in 1597, by Robert Larder, gent., Nicholas Warren, and
others.")

Bawnton, Parish of Loders. — One Chalice of silver parcel gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice of silver. Sir
John Baker, curate. Robert Mone, John Gierke.

(No institution of any rector or vicar to Bothenhampton
occurs in the Salisbury register. It was for many years annexed
to Loders.)

The Parish of Waldyche. — One Chalice of silver parcel gilt.
,To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir Robert
Blackwell, curate. Stephen Hyde, Stephen Akerman, John Hallet.
(In 37 Henry VIII. John Hyde held lands here, also George
Hyde, temp. Eliz. This is not the Wilts family of Hyde which
had property at Gussage St. Michael about this time.)

The Parish of Hooke. — One Chalice. To the church's use
there is appointed one Chalice. Sir John Style, parson there.
Homfrey Wyllyams.

(Hutchins does not give the name of any rector between the
institution of 15 13 and 1650.)

The Parish of Maydon Newton. — Two Chalices of silver
parcel gilt, with the covers. To the church's use there is appointed
one Chalice. The residue of the premises are committed to the



custody of these underwritten. Sir Christopher Hadson, curate.
Christopher Hole, John Goode, Robert Myryfyld ; Robert Harrys,
Richard Synge, Wilham Burbege.

(Hutchins states that John Powlet was instituted rector in
1550, and that his name occurs in 1575. — The manor of Crookston
here was granted to Christopher Pawlett in 155 1 for 99 years. —
The family of Goode also held lands here.)

The Parish of Chedvngton. — One Chalice, gilt, with the
paten. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir
Christopher Benson, parson. John Guppy ; John Hunt,
Robert Hallet.

(Christopher Benson was instituted Rector here 27th March,
1534, ob. 1571.)

The Parish of Netherbury. — Two Chalices of silver parcel
gilt. To the church's use there is appointed the least Chalice of
silver. The residue of the premises are committed to the custody
of these underwritten. Sir John Newman, vicar there. Nicholas
Crabbe, Stephen Tacle, Hughe Sydwaye ; Walter Hoywell,
Anthony Collens, Robert Crabbe.

(The Vicarages of Netherbury and Beaminster were at this
time combined.)

The Parish of Bemynster. — Two Chalices, one all gilt, the
other parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed the
worst ChaUce. The residue of the premises are committed to the
custody of these underwritten. Sir John Newman, vicar there.
James Danyell, John Hyllary, Robert Turner ; Thomas Rodburd,
William Hoskens, John Mason.

(John Newman's name occurs in Hutchins as Vicar, without
any date of institution; he was deprived, and his successor
appointed in 1554.)

The Parish of Abbotysbury. — One Chalice, all gilt, with the
Paten of silver. To the church's use there is appointed one
Chalice. Sir John Thomson, vicar there. Jeffrey Samwaies,
Hughe Peson ; John Rodden, Henry Curties, Nicholas Water-
combe.

(John Thompson was instituted in 1550.)

The Parish of Winterborne Abbas.— One Chalice of silver
parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice.



1 8.3

Sir Harry Samwaies, parson. Robert Whyttcll, Nycliolas
Adams, Richard Bettycsombe ; John Balson, W'ilham Collyer,
John Carpenter.

(Henry Samwise occurs as Rector in 1546. At some un-
mentioned time Barnabas Whittle gave money for the use of the
the poor here.)

The Parish of Halstocke. — Two Chalices of silver. To the
church's use there is appointed the worst Chalice. The residue
of the premises are committed to the custody of these under-
written. Robert Nele, William Sylly ; Roger Sylly, Roger Barge.
(This is now a Vicarage, in the gift of the Bishop of Salis-
bury. There is no mention of a Vicarage or Vicar in Dean
Chandler's Register, or other records.)

The Parish of Abbotystocke. — One Chalice of silver parcel
gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir
John Roby, curate. Thomas Goge, John Daiyber, William Shet,
William Smyth, William Pavy, Robert Hyllary.

(About 1520 the Abbot of Sherborne demised to John
Bagge and Nicholas Game, churchwardens of Stoke Abbas, a piece
of ground for a new parish house. After the dissolution of the
Monastery William Gollop and Thomas Googe, farmers of the
Manor of Stoke Abbas, set up a pretended claim to the property,
which led to much litigation.)

The Parish of Symysborough.— One Chalice of silver parcel
gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice of
silver parcel gilt. Sir John Collins, curate. John Baron, John
JefTery, Andrewe Holcombe, Richard Wade, John CoUaut,
John Croker.

The Parish of Puncknoll.— Two Chalices, one all gilt, the
other parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one
Chalice parcel gilt. The residue of the premises are com-
mitted to the custody of these underwritten. Sir Robert Eyere,
parson. Robert Byshopp, William Ewens, John Hall; John
Locke, James Napp, Robert Crybbe.

(Robert Eyre was instituted Rector in 1551.— The last signa-
ture but one might be that of James Napper, or Napier, who was
resident here at that time, and whose descendant gave plate to
Puncknoll Church.)



The Parish of Swyere. — One Chalice of silver gilt, with a
broken Paten. To the church's use there is appointed one
Chalice of silver. Thomas Attyna, John Blackwoode ; Robert
Ballyns, Walter James.

(Hutchins states that Martin Smith was instituted Rector in
1551. He was also Rector of Chilcomb.)

The Parish of Catystocke. — One Chalice of silver parcel gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir John
Maskall, parson. John Pyllarde, Thomas Forse ; Alyxander
Dyke, John Harrys.

(John Maskal was instituted Rector 1545, ob. 1588.)

The Parish of Toller Porcorum. — One Chahce of silver
parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice
of silver. Sir Davyd Barry, vicar. Thomas Buckler, Richard
Bylke, Robert Symon ; William Younge, William Swett, Renold
Cole.

(Before the Dissolution there was also a Vicarage here, in the
patronage of the Abbot of Abbotsbury. David Barry was insti-
tuted Rector in 1550.)

The Parish of Lyme Regis. — One Chalice of silver and gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir Robert
Palfrey, vicar. John Morrys, Richard Norrys ; John Tanner,
Roger Garlond.

(It does not appear when Robert Palfrey was instituted ; it
must have been after 1534. He died Vicar in 1564. — John
Mores was Mayor of Lyme Regis in 1561, and Roger Garland in
IS49-)

The Parish of Charmouthe. — One Chalice of silver parcel
gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice.
Sir WiLLL\M Sankey, parson. John Lymbery, John Balston ;
Thomas Best, William Lymbery, John James.
(William Sonkey, Rector 1544.)

The Parish of Chylfrome. — One Chalice of silver parcel gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir William
Hyllary, parson. Thomas Payre, William Stephens.

(The name of William Hilary is given in 1545 as Rector.)



i8s

The Parish of Mylton. — One Chahce parcel gilt. To the
church's use there is appointed one Chalice of silver parcel gilt.
Sir John Harryson, curate. Thomas Conwaye ; John Symes.
(West Milton was a chapel of ease to Poorstock.)

The Parish of Porestocke. — Two Chalices of silver parcel gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed the worst Chalice. The
residue of the premises are committed to the custody of these
underwritten. Sir John Harrysson, curate. William Turner ;
Robert More, Nicholas Travys ; Harry Turner, William Stephens,
Robert Prynce.

(John Harryson, the Curate, was afterwards made Vicar in
I5S4-)

The Parish of Haukechurche. — One Chalice of silver parcel
gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir
John Purches, parson. John Penny, Thomas Samson, John
Phyppayn ; Thomas Balston, William Beamont, Walter Grynter.

(The name of this Rector, John Purches, is not found in
Hutchins.)

The Parish of Wambroke. — One Chalice of silver parcel gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice of silver.
John Pears, Robert Crandon.

The Parish of Allyngton. — One Chalice of silver parcel gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir Richard
Fort, curate. Robert Pytfold, Richard Halker, Harry Egerdon ;
William Waye, John Conweye.

The Parish of Langton Herynge. — No mention of Chalice
or Paten. Sir Stephen Horsewell, parson. Robert Carpenter,
John Gecle ; William AbraiTi, John Smart.

(Stephen Horsewell, M.A., pbr., instituted to the Rectory
13th Oct., 1526. His name occurs again in 1534.)

The Parish of Brodwynzor. — Two Chalices of silver, the one
parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed the worst
Chalice. The residue of the premises are committed to the
custody of these underwritten. Sir John Roche, curate. John
Mantell, seii., John Adame, John Mantell, juS. ; Nycholas Huchen,
Hughe Hyde, John Trask.



i86

The Parish of Burstocke. — One Chalice of silver parcel gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice of silver.
Sir John Hvggen, vicar. Robert Bagge, John Howchens ;
Thomas Hycks, John Baker.

(The name of John Higgen occurs as Vicar in 1534.)

The Parish of Winterborne Stepleton. — One Chalice of
silver parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one
Chalice. Sir Robert Blundon, curate. John Meche, sen., Richard
Hodder, Richard Lawrence; Raf Cake, John Meche, juii., Richard
Myche.

(Richard Lawrence, Esq., obtained a sub-lease of the mansion
and site of the manor here in 1541 ; he died 1597.)

The Parish of Brappaul. — One Chalice of silver parcel gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir Robert
Charde, vicar. Robert Waddon, John Hollerde, John Derke ;
William Weye, Richard Luter, Nycholas Halle.

(The name of Robert Charde occurs as Vicar of Bradpole in
1542.)

The Parish of Ramesham. — One Chalice of silver parcel gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir Thomas
Burges, parson. John Warren, William Cobthorne, John
Keyneye.

(Thomas Burgis, M.A., instituted loth December, 1528. He
was also Rector of Wraxall. These two parishes were united in
1758.)

The Parish of Wotton Phvtzpavne. — One Chalice, with the
cover parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one
Chalice. Sir John Serle, parson. William Locke, William
Crosse ; John Russell, William Dare.

(The name of John Serle occurs as Rector in 1534.)

The Parish of Chelborough. — One Chalice of silver parcell
gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice of silver
parcel gilt. Sir Roger Grenewave, parson. Harry Drake,
Harry Drawe ; Sansome Abbott, George Baker.

(Roger Greenaway was instituted to the Rectory in 1545.)

The Parish of Tollerforde. — One Chalice of silver parcel
gilt, with the Paten. To the church's use there is appointed one



i87

Chalice of silver. Sir James Bayly, parson. Richard Hyll,
John Dawe sen., Robert Dawe ; William Skymer, John Dawc jun.
(This must be the Parish of Lucomb, alias East Chelborough.
There is some land near, in Frome Vauchurch, called ToUerford,
which gives the name to the Hundred, and in which tjiere was
anciently a chapel ; but there is no entry of Tolleford as the name
of a parish. There can be no doubt, however, that it represents
Lucomb, or East Chelborough, as James Bayly, pbr., was instituted
here as Rector i6th Dec, 1528. His name occurs again in 1534.
Patron, Edward, Lord Stourton. — The family of Dawe was settled
here temp. Edward IV. , All the names of that family here given
will be found in the pedigree printed by Hutchins, under the
parish of Lucombe.)

The Parish of Wraxole. — One Chalice parcel gilt. To the
church's use there is appointed one Chahce. Sir Thomas Burges,
parson. Symon Mody, \Villiam Tyser, Richard VVhorrow.

(Hutchins does not give any institution to this rectory during
the whole of the i6th century. Thomas Burges was also Rector
of Rampisham, where he was instituted in 1528. In 1758 these
two parishes were united.)

The Parish of Bettyscombe. — One Chalice of silver parcel gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir John
Come, parson. John Dammat, Humfrey Paule ; Robert Osborne,
Robert Rawe.

(John Comb, chaplain, instituted i8th March, 15 16. Patron,
the Dean of St. Stephen's, Westminster. Hutchins gives the
name of James Rogers as occurring in 1534-)

The Parish of Lytton. — One Chalice parcel gilt. To the
church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir William
BuUynge, curate. John Morton, Ippolat Bartlet, John Fawkener ;
Edmonde Prowt, William Prowt, John Pypwyne.

The Parish of Chvlcombe.— One Chalice of silver parcel gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir William
Curry, curate there. Thomas Jesoppe.

(Hutchins states that Martin Smith was instituted Rector
here in 15 51. He was also Rector of Swyre.)

The Parish of Pylsdon.— One Chalice of silver parcel gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir John
Cooke, curate. William Jenkens, Richard Smythe ; John Demet,
William Baker.



The Parish of Pore-Towne. — One Chalice of silver with the
Paten, parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one
Chalice. Sir William Baker, parson. Edward Fowrde, Thomas
Stone, Robert Dowche.

(William Baker, pbr., instituted 28th Nov.. 1526; Edward
Lord Stourton, patron. His name occurs again in 1534.)



THE DEANERY OF SHASTON.

The Parish of Bellehallwell. — One Chalice of silver. To
the church's use there is appointed the said Chalice. Sir Thomas
VvALL, parson. William Jolyffe, Robert Godwyn, churchwardens;
Thomas Hayne, John Tollervey.

(The name of Thomas Vyall is not included in Hutchins'
list of rectors.)

The Parish of Osborne. — One Chalice of silver. To the
church's use there is appointed the said Chalice. Sir John
DuNSTER, vicar. Robert Dowle, Walter Appleby, churchwardens ;
Thomas Dowle, Thomas Rychemond, parishioners.

(John Dilnster was sacrist of Sherborne Abbey in the time
of the last Abbot but one, John Myer. He built the chancel of
Oborne Church in 1533. This is recorded in a black letter in-
scription over the north window — " Orate pro bono statu dompni
Joh'is Dunster sacriste de Schirborn qui hoc opus fieri fecit anno

Domini " Another inscription is found over the east

window for the " bono statu" of the Abbot, with the date 1533.
Oborne was a peculiar of the Dean of Salisbury. The first in-
cumbents after the Dissolution are styled Vicars. The name of
John Dunster occurs in 1546, and he still held the vicarage in
1552. " He probably lies buried under the flat stone at the foot
of the pulpit stairs, which tradition says covers the remains of the
builder of the church." The chancel of this church alone remains,
and a new church has been erected on a different site.)

The Parish of Melbury Osmonde. — One Chalice. To the
church's use there is appointed the said Chalice. Sir Richard
Adams, parson. John Sherston, Robert Cowper, churchwardens ;
Giles Austyn, Henry Wallys, Robert Biggs, parishioners.

(Richard Adams, pbr., was instituted Rector 6th August,
1529-)



189

The Parish of Stoure Parvvs. — Two Chalices, one all gilt,
the other parcel gilt. To the church's use there is appointed one
Chalice parcel gilt. The residue of the premises are committed
to the custody of these underwritten. Sir Rich.\rl) Atkynson,
parson. Richard Ameyre, Thomas Trowtell, churchwardens ;
William Mayo, John Dowdynge, Cristofer Temple, John Lodye,
parishioners.

(Richard Atkinson was instituted Rector in 1546.)

The Parish of Sylton. — One Chalice of silver parcel gilt. To
the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir John
Forward, parson. William Butte, Richard Parsons, churchwar-
dens ; Thomas Hopkyns, Stephen Moger, parishioners.
(John Forward was instituted Rector in 1548.)

The Parish of Stoke Gaylard. — One Chalice parcel gilt. To
the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir John
CoLCELL, parson ; Thomas Daye, churchwarden.

(John Colcell was instituted Rector in 1546, ob, 1599.)

The Parish of Wootton Nor. — One Chalice of silver. To the
church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir John Dunster,
curate. Richard Wryte, Thomas Manfilde, churchwardens ;
William Oldyshe, William Grenynge, Henry Arber, John Hoode,
parishioners.

(This was a peculiar of the Dean of Sarum ; the tithes
belonging to the Monastery of Sherborne, the cure was probably
served by a stipendiary priest, or a monk of that house. John
Dunster held this in conjunction with Oborne. It is now a
perpetual curacy.)

The Parish of Over Compton. — One Chalice of silver. To
the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Sir Robert
Frye, parson. Reynolde Hame, Thomas Gill, churchwardens ;
Cuthberte Amers, Thomas Mychell, parishioners.

(The name of Robert Fry as Rector, does not appear in
Hutchins. Over Compton and Nether Compton were con-
solidated in 1814.)

The Parish of Fawke alias Alveston.— One Chalice of silver.
To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice. Henry
Fuller, churchwarden. Edward Hull, James Lacey, John
Ladwyn, parishioners.



igo

The Parish of Haydon. — One Chalice parcel gilt. To the
church's use there is appointed the said Chalice. Sir John
Marwell, vicar. Robert Stalbridge, Thomas Togoode, church-
wardens ; John Golvesnye, William Cuffe, Raynolde Hick,
parishioners.

(The name of John Warmill is entered in Hutchins, without
any date of institution. He died in 1572.)

The Parish of Thorneforde. — One Chahce of silver. To the
church's use there is appointed the said Chalice. Sir John
Russell, parson. William Elys, Thomas Kinge, churchwardens ;
Robert Stryde, John Dybsdall, Richard Crybbe, John Olver,
parishioners.

(There is no entry of the name of John Russell as Rector in
Hutchins. His predecessor was instituted in 1550, and his suc-
cessor in 1561.)

The Parish of Nether Comptdn. — One Chalice of silver. To
the church's use there is appointed the said Chahce. Pancras
Grout, parson. Robert Hodgis, Thomas Pytman ; Nycholas
Mannfyld, Nycholas Corr.

(Pancras Growte was instituted Rector in 1535 ; he was
buried here in 1579. Nether Compton and Over Compton were
consolidated in 18 14.)

The Parish of Berhackett. — One Chalice of silver. To the
church's use there is appointed the Chalice. Henry Smyth,
parson. William Doll, Thomas Lambet ; John Churchhowse,
Hughe Panter.

(Henry Smith was instituted Rector in 1549, ob. 1561.)

The Parish of Sturmyster Newton. — Three Chalices of silver.
To the church's use there is appointed the worst Chalice. The
residue are committed to the custody of these underwritten.
Lawrence Bentame, curate. Richard Chemocke, Robert Ford,
churchwardens ; Thomas Yong, William Yngrame, Mathewe
Gyllet, parishioners.

The Parish of Caundell Marshe. — One Chalice of silver.
To the church's use there is appointed the Chalice. Thomas
Hull, parson. William Burt, Thomas Curtyes, churchwardens ;
John Hull, Harry Burt, John Burt, parishioners.

(Thomas Hull instituted Rector 1560. He afterwards
resigned.)



The Parish of Lyllington.— One Chalice of silver. To the

church's use there is appointed one Chalice of silver. William
Chapell, churchwarden ; William Keylwaye, Thomas Master,
John Chapell.

(The Kelways were a noted Hampshire family ; they ac-
quired property here after the Dissolution.)

The Parish of Stower Estover. — One Chalice of silver parcel
gilt. To the church's use there is appointed the Chalice. William
Stanley, curate. Thomas Chaper, Peter Bulleyne, churchwardens ;
Richard Cave, William Weyt, Richard Chasfyn, Richard More,
parishioners.

(East Stour is part of Gillingham. John Chapter held pro-
perty here and in West Stour in 1580.)

The Parish of Long Burton. — One Chalice of silver. To the
church's use there is appointed the Chalice. Walter Haves,
vicar. Thomas Rowd, churchwarden ; Edmond Downton, Rise
Hytchet, Robert Pytman, parishioners.

(The name of Walter Hayes does not occur in Hutchins.
He was probably the first Vicar appointed after the Dissolution.)

The Parish of Holnest. — One Chalice of silver. To the
church's use there is appointed the Chalice. Walter Hays,
vicar. Walter Vyncent, Thomas Corme, churchwardens ; Robert
Corme, Walter Corme, parishioners.

(Holnest was always annexed to Long Burton.)

The Parish of Gvllyngham. — Two Chalices of silver and gilt.
To the church's use there is appointed the Chalice. Thomas
Hankines, curate. John Mathewe, Thomas Aishe, church-
wardens ; Nycholas Rykes, John Garret, John Stone, Walter
Henbury, parishioners.

The Parish of Batcomee. — No mention of Chalice. William
Slade, parson. Henry Kent, Henry Mynborne, churchwardens ;
John Wyffyne, John Mynborne.

(William Slade was instituted rector 1550. — The family of
Mynterne held lands here temp. Eliz., the last dying without male
issue in 1705.)

The Parish of Funtmell. — One Chalice of silver. To the
church's use there is appointed the Chalice. William Rvdowt,



192

vicar. Thomas Cryne, Harry Skynner, churchwardens ; Harry
Hastell, John Barter, John Swetnam, John Davye, parishioners.

(WiUiam Rydeswite was instituted rector in 1549; his
successor was appointed in 1554. — In the list of Defaults given
by the Commissioners, it states that in this parish, " There lacketh
one chalice of silver a pyx of silver and one cope of velvet." —
There was formerly both a rectory and a vicarage here ; since the
Reformation they seem to have been united.)

The Parish of Compton Abbas. — Two Chalices, one gilt, the
other ungilt. To the church's use there is appointed one Chalice,
&c. The residue of the premises are committed to the custody of
these underwritten. Christopher Rigay, parson. William
Sevyer, Harry Cryne, churchwardens ; Richard Come, John
Erode, Edward Williams, John Brokman, parishioners.


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 16 18 19

Online LibraryJames Edward NightingaleThe church plate of the county of Dorset. With extracts from the returns of church goods by the Dorset commissioners of Edward VI. 1552 → online text (page 16 of 19)