Copyright
James Edward Nightingale.

The church plate of the county of Dorset. With extracts from the returns of church goods by the Dorset commissioners of Edward VI. 1552 online

. (page 6 of 19)
Online LibraryJames Edward NightingaleThe church plate of the county of Dorset. With extracts from the returns of church goods by the Dorset commissioners of Edward VI. 1552 → online text (page 6 of 19)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1572, the maker's being H AV, with a pellet above and below. It
has a single band of floriated strap-work round the bowl. — The
Paten and Flagon are electro-plated.

West Lulworth. — Chalice, Paten, and Flagon of modem
design, bearing the hall marks of 1850. The present Vicar, in a
note, says, " I am told that the plate is composed of the old



64

silver belonging to the old Church, which was melted down and
re-cast before my time."

Steeple (with Grange Chapel and Tyneham). — An Eliza-
bethan Chalice, with Paten cover, measuring together 7|in. in
height. The only mark found is . /0^ On the cover

IS engraved the date 1574. The -^ ^^ shape is of

the ordinary type, and round the bowl is engraved a single band
of foliated strap-work. — A Paten, Sin. diam., of the Britannia
standard for r7i6. The maker's mark is C.L., with a pellet
beneath, for Joseph Clare. On it is engraved a shield of arms.
On a chevron three bezants for Bond, impaling tvithin a bordure
engrailed charged with crosses patee and bezants, a greyhound
courant infiss between three choughs for Williams. The donor was
either Nathaniel Bond, Esq., of Lutton, and afterwards of Creech
Grange, a King's Sergeant at Law, born 1634, oh. 1707, or more
probably his second son John Bond, of Tyneham, Barrister-at-
Law, born 1678, ob. 1744. They both married descendants of
Sir John Williams, of Herringston, co. Dorset.

Grange Chapel. — A Chalice with cover, measuring respec-
tively Sin. and ijin. The hall marks of 1661, the maker's R A
with mullet in base ; the shape of the bowl is straight-sided with
knot on stem and a spreading base. The chapel at Grange is
modern ; it is probable that this chalice was brought from Holme
Church when the present plate was given there in 1865.

Tyneham. — An Elizabethan Chalice, 6in. in height, of the con-
ventional type, bearing the single mark _. ^^\ I' ^^^
a band of foliated and intersected strap- '^ >^^ work
engraved round the bowl.

Stoke, East. — A Chalice, g\\n. in height, with floriated deco-
ration, and Alms-dish both bearing the following inscription : —
"Presented by G. R. Robinson Esq. M.P. to the Church of East
Stoke in the County of Dorset of which Parish his grandfather the
Rev. R. Robinson was many years Rector. 1829." The Rev. John
Robinson was instituted in 1708, and died 1743. The Rev.
Richard Robinson was instituted 1744, and resigned 1749. — A
Paten, with foot, Sin. diam., inscribed, " Presented to the Church
of East Stoke Dorset, by the Rev. Thos. Fox brother of the Rev.
Charles Fox Incumbent A.D. 1829."




^



65

Studland. — Here is another instance of the Paten cover of an
Elizabethan Chalice remaining, whilst the original cup has disap-
peared. The cover bears the mark so often found on Dorsetshire
chalices between 1573 and 1577. s^ iSfP^ a ^" the button
of the cover is inscribed " 1575." %S0 The Chalice is

6|in. m height, and bears the year mark of 1630. Round the
rim of the bowl are pricked the following letters : I. FGWS. The
bowl is straight-sided, and the stem of baluster shape. As the
Paten cover fits, the cup might have been made to replace the
earlier one. — Two Patens, with feet, 5 fin. in diam. These are of
the Britannia standard, and bear the year mark of 1718 ; the
maker's mark is C O under a fleur de lys, that of Aug. Courtauld.
They are inscribed, " The Gift of Edm'' Pleydell Esq'' to y^ Parish
Church of Studland." Edward Pleydell, Esq., presented to the
living of Studland in 17 18, and subsequently Edmund Morton
Pleydell in 1744.

SwANAGE. — An unusually fine service of silver-gilt, presented
to the Parish at the end of the 17 th century. It consists of a
Chalice measuring loin. in height, a Paten on raised foot 7in.
diam., and a Flagon i2in. in height. The hall marks indicate
the date year 1692, and the maker's mark, three storks within a
shield. All three pieces are inscribed "The Gift of Mrs.
Elizabeth Toope, wife of Abraham Story, Citizen and Mason of
London. A.D. 1693." These pieces are richly ornamented with
gadroon mouldings and bands of the acanthus leaf, a style much
in vogue about this time. (See illustration.) This family of Toope
seems to have been long resident at Swanage, and were probably
connected with the extensive stone quarries there. It will be
seen in the Appendix that Richard Toupe was one of the church-
wardens in 1552, to whom was delivered the chalice for the
parish use by the Commissioners of Edward VI. In a return
of charitable benefactions to this parish made in 1786 it appears
that a Mr. Toup had given ^38, the interest to be laid out in
bread for the poor. — A second Chalice of silver gilt, measuring
9in. in height, bearing the hall mark of 1864, and inscribed " In
memory of Henry Cruger Price born 27 th February 1794 died
loth December 1856." The shape of this chalice was evidently
copied from the earlier one ; it has the same gadroon ornament
and band of acanthus leaf, but it is less ornate.— Paten No. 2
without foot and quite plain, measuring 8|in. diam. This is



66

of the Britannia standard, the date being apparently 1722 ; the
maker's mark indistinct. — Paten No. 3 without foot, of silver gilt,
9fin. diam., inscribed " The Gift of Mrs. Lester Wife of the Rev.
Lester Lester, Curate i860."

WiNFRiTH Newburgh (with Burton). — A Chalice with Paten
cover; the cup measures 6|in., and is inscribed "W.H. — A.G-
Churchwardens 1665." It has a plain cylindrical bowl with
spreading stem without any knot. — A Paten with foot, 8^in. diam.,
with gadroon borders, and inscribed " The Giuft of Mrs. Dorothy
Smith to y'' Church of Winfrith 1704." The donor of this paten
was Dorothy, wife of the Rev. Peter Smith ; he was rector from
1679 to 1725 ; she died 1733. — A tankard Flagon, 7^in. in height,
inscribed " The Gift of Mrs. Anna Little to ^^'infrith Church 1782."

^^'0RTH Matravers. — An Elizabethan Chalice, with Paten
cover, measuring together Sin. in height ; both pieces bear the
provincial mark . ^!^9\ only. This cup is of the

usual form, and '^ ^^ has the conventional band of

foliated and interlaced strap-work engraved round the bowl. On
the cover is inscribed the date 1574. — A Paten on foot, with
gadroon edges, and a Flagon of modern design, both presented
by the Rev. Francis Tracey on his institution to the Vicarage in
1857. — There is also a small Chalice and two Patens of silver-gilt,
given to the Chapel of St. Aldhelm in 1S74 by the Earl of Eldon.

Wool. — An Elizabethan Chalice, with Paten cover ; the cup
measures 6in. in height. The hall marks include the small black
letter 0, indicating the year 1571 ; the maker's mark is illegible ;
on the cover is inscribed the date 157 1. The shape is of the
usual type ; it has a single and rather simple band of foliated
strap-work round the bowl, and a moulding encircling the foot.



DEANERY OF PIMPERNE.



VIII.

BLANDFORD PORTION.

AsHMORE. — An Elizabethan Chalice without any paten cover,
5 fin. in height. It is a somewhat plain example, with a single
band of foliated scroll engraved round the bowl. The four hall
marks include the black letter t for 1576 ; the maker's mark is a
device somewhat resembling the heraldic water-bouget within a
hexagon, but this does not correspond with any known maker's
mark. — A Paten and a covered Flagon, of modern design and
without hall marks ; both pieces bear the sacred monogram.

Blandford. — Chalice No. i, a plain bell-shaped cup, gfin. in
height, bearing the hall marks for the year 1732, the maker's
mark T.P. for Thomas Parr. On it is engraved a lozenge with
the arms of Pitt, A /ess cheqtiy between three bezants, impaling (?)
Ermines, two vniUets in chief. There is also a Flagon, 1 1 ^in. in
height, with the hall mark of 1731, and the maker's mark S. P.
within a lozenge, for Sarah Parr ; and a Paten lOsin. in diam.,
both pieces bearing the following inscription : — " The Gift of Mr.
Charles Pitt of Pimperne 1732," and engraved with the Pitt arms
alone on a shield. — Another Paten, sfin. diam., with the hall
marks for 1732, carries the following record : — " The Gift of Mrs.
Elizabeth Pitt Relict of the late Dr. Christopher Pitt of Bland-
ford." Christopher Pitt, m.d., was an eminent physician who
practised at Blandford for many years ; he died in 1723. There
are no parish documents of any kind extant regarding these pre-
sentations of plate by members of the Pitt family. — Two other
Chalices, ^\\r\. in height, and two Patens, 6in. diam., with the hall
marks of 1863, and inscribed, " Presented by 275 Parishioners in
memory of the Rev. W. Harte 1863." — This church also possesses
three Alms-dishes inscribed, " The Gift of an unknown Gentleman
to y* Town of Blandford 1774." The first measures lo.jin. diam.,
F 2



68

and has shaped edges with scroll feet. The hall mark is of the
Britannia standard for 17 19, and the maker's mark C O, for
Robert Cooper. The two others measure 9|in. diam. Here
the maker's mark alone is legible, M I with a mullet between the
letters, all within a shaped shield ; this is three times repeated.

Chettle. — A Chalice, 7|in. in height, having a plain cylindrical
bowl and spreading foot, with Paten cover, described as " white
metal ;" these bear no hall marks. — A Flagon of ordinary tankard
shape, with cover, loin. in height; the hall mark date is 1681 ;
the maker's mark, a water bird within a dotted circle. It bears
the following inscription ; — " Dedica"'. deo in usum Ecclesis
Chettle per E. Lowe Recto''™." An entry in the old Register
says, " Edw Lowe Rector of this Parish dyed suddenly September
yc jDii & was buryed September y'' 3'' 1693."

Farnham. — A Chalice, 6|in. in height, of bell shape, with
spreading foot. Paten, gin. diam., and Flagon, loin. in height,
of tankard shape. No hall marks are found, but on each piece is
inscribed the sacred monogram.

Handley (with GussAGE St. Andrew). — The plate at Handley
consists of two Chalices, a Paten, and a Flagon, all of modern
design, bearing the hall marks of 1868, also having an incised
cross, together with the following inscription : — " In memory of
the Rev'' Arthur Ansty Incumbent of Handley with Gussage S.
Andrews. He died Nov'' 5. 1866. Given by his widow.''

Gussage St. Andrew. — There can be little doubt that the
Chalice here is of the Elizabethan period ; it has the usual cha-
racteristic band of intersecting foliated strap-work round the bowl,
also the egg and tongue moulding at the base. No mark of any
kind is at present found, but a square piece of about an inch has
been, at some unknown period, cut out of the lip and a new piece
soldered in. Round the upper part of the bowl is inscribed,
" Donum Henrici Alye parochionibus Chapelli de Gussage S''

Andreae in perpetuum " The date of the gift, and

possibly the hall mark, might have existed on the missing portion
of the cup. This is an early example of a post-reformation
chalice bearing the name of the donor. The family of Alye
acquired lands in this parish by marriage of John Alye with



69

Viviana, daughter and co-heir of WaUer Stanlcigh, temp. Henry
VIII. The donor of this chahce must have been Henry, their
descendant, who married Ehzabeth, daughter of WiUiam Con-
stantine, gent., of Merle}', in the parish of Canford. He died in
1631, without male issue, and was buried at Handley. There is
also at Gussage S. Andrew a Paten of white metal, the only mark
on which is V C.

Langton Long. — An Elizabethan Chalice, without cover,
6|in. in height. It has a single and rather simple band of foliated
strap-work round the bell-shaped bowl, with mouldings at the
base. The hall marks are very indistinct, but the date letter
seems to be for the year 1568. — A Paten with foot, bearing the
hall mark of 1845, and inscribed with the sacred monogram. — A
Flagon, with the date mark of 1882. Half the cost of this flagon
was defrayed by Mrs. R. Farquharson, widow of the Rector, who
died May 13th, 1881 ; the other half by oflertories on Christmas
Day, 1884.

PiMPERNE. — An Elizabethan Chalice without cover, e^in. in
height. It has a single band of foliated strap-work round the
bowl. The only mark found is the provincial one. ^^Sfs.

The form corresponds e.xactly with numerous *^ ^^^
other examples in the county bearing this monogram. — The Paten
and Flagon are electro-plated. The latter was bought by the
parish a few years ago, when the original pewter one was sold.

Shapwick. — An Elizabethan Chalice with its Paten cover,
measuring 8|in. in height. The foliated strap-work round the
bowl and cover is somewhat more ornate than usual. The date
mark is the small black letter It, indicating the year 1570, and
the maker's mark, a Campana-shaped vase and cover within an
oval. This mark differs from those given in O.E.P. for the years
1532 and 1548. — A large and plain Paten, measuring 8in. in
diam., bearing the hall mark of 1723, and the maker's mark I.S.

Steepleton Iwerne. — The Chalice, 8|in. in height, is plain,
with straight-sided bowl, under which is a flange. The stem
spreads from the base of cup. The hall mark is that of 1649.
The maker's mark, a bird in the lower part of shield, the upper



part obliterated. A similar mark is found on plate at Guiseley,
Yorkshire, in 1647. — A Paten, 4|in. in diam., bearing the hall
mark of 1638; the maker's mark, a cursive capital /^between
two small circles. In the centre is engraved a shield of arms
quarterly, first and fourth, A fess chequy behveen three bezants for
Pitt ; second and third, A fess vair between three goats' heads
erased. Sir William Pitt, Knight, purchased the Manor of Iwerne
Stepleton. He married Edith, daughter and co-heiress of
Nicholas Cadbury, of Wareham, and died 1636. His eldest son,
Edward, married, in 1620, Rachel, a daughter of Sir George
Morton, of Milborne St. Andrew. — An Alms-dish, 8|in. in diam.,
with the hall mark of 1770, and the maker's mark, C.W. In the
centre is engraved the sacred monogram surrounded with rays.

Stourpaine. — An Elizabethan Chalice and Paten cover, 6|in.
in height. It bears no hall marks of any kind. This may be
classed as an Elizabethan cup, but it might be of somewhat
later date than the usual examples ; it has a single band of
foliated strap-work round the bowl ; the base is rather broad, and
is decorated with plain interlaced strap-work and ornamental
moulding. — A Paten, 6|in. in diam., bearing the hall mark of
1857, with sacred monogram and legend engraved.

Tarrant Crawford. — The vessels here are wholly of Pewter,
the only instance in the county.* The bowl of the Chalice is
rather shallow, with long stem and spreading foot ; this, as well as
the Paten, is inscribed " ^ S. Mary Tarrant Crawford Sarum ;"
they also bear the sacred monogram. — The Alms-dish alone has

* It would be difficult to imagine a greater contrast than the fortunes of this
parish in the present day, with a population of 61 persons and an ecclesiastical
income of ^40 a year, and its flourishing condition in medieval times. The
great interest of this place centres in the fact that it was the earliest and much-
loved residence of the seventh Bishop of Old Sarum, Richard Poore, the
founder of Salisbuiy Cathedral, who was born here in the latter half of the
I2th Century, and who also died here. It was mainly owing to the efforts of
the two brothers, Herbert and Richard Poore, that the See was removed to
New Sarum and the foundations laid of the present beautiful Cathedral.
There was a small monastery for nuns established at Tarrant Crawford by
Ralph and 'William de Kehaines temp. Richard I. , but Richard Poore became
the founder of an enlarged religious house for holy women, which not long
after became incorporated with the order of the Cistercians. Richard Poore,
Prebendar)' of Cherminster, was elected Dean of Sarum in 119S. After filling
the See of Chichester for nearly two years, he became Bishop of Salisbury from
1217 to 1229. He was then translated to the See of Durham, and not long
before his death retired to his native village of Tarrant, where he passed



71

a mark, that of a large seeded rose surmounted by tlic imperial
crown. The date is apparently early in the present century.
There are two books preserved in the Parish of disbursements and
expenses, but no mention of any Church Plate is found.

Tarrant Gunville. — The earliest Chalice here, but no longer
in use, measures 6|in. in height. The form is generally that of
the Elizabethan type, but it resembles, to some extent, the few
examples that are left to us made in the time of Edward VI.
The cup is bell-shaped, it has a sort of flange separated from the
bowl by a moulded fillet and ring of cable ornament ; the stem
gradually expands to the base. Round the bowl is engraved a
broad band of intersecting strap-work without foliation. The
only mark found is x^^ As many as fourteen examples of
cups bearing this ^^ mark are found in the northern
part of the county, all of precisely the same character and
decoration, as may be seen in the illustration of the Gillingham
chalice and cover, on which is the incised date 1574. The only
other cup of this maker having a date inscribed is that of the
neighbouring parish of Tarrant Monkton, which is marked 1607,
but it varies considerably from the earlier examples. — Chalices
Nos. 2 and 3, measuring 7 fin. in height, bear the hall marks of
the year 1809, also the sacred monogram. On the first is in-
scribed "Tarrant Gunville near Blandford Dorset 1809." On the
second " Given to the Parish of Gunville by Francis Simpson
Rector 1810." — The Rev. Francis Simpson was rector from 1797
to 1827. Paten with foot, 4|in. in diara. It bears a maker's
mark only, P.B. with a crescent above and below, the same as is
found on the chalice at Witchampton dated 1630. — Another
Paten, with foot, 6in. in diam., having the year mark of 1723 and

peacefully away in the spring of 1237. It is stated that his body was interred
at Durham, whilst his heart was buried at his own Tarrant. In the following
year, 123S, Joan, daughter of King John, and Queen to Alexander II., King
of Scots, died here and was buried under a tomb, according to her will. In
38 Henry III. the Sheriff of the County sent in his account to the E.xchequer
for monies paid by him " for carving a certain effigy of a Queen in a marble
stone, for the carriage of the same to the abbey of Tarrant, and there placing
it over the tomb of the Queen of Scotland, lOOs. by the king's writ." After
this the abbey was styled, Damns or /.actu hcnedicLc Regince safer Tareiite.
Robert Rouse, Knt., by his will in 13S3, ordered his body to be buried in
the abbey, then styled Locus Richnrdi Episcopi. The arms of this abbey, in
Wolveton House, were Azure, a cross patonce argent, in the first quarter a
seated figure of the blessed Virgin. After the dissolution of the monastery in
1539, it was granted to Sir Thomas Wyatt.



the maker's mark IS; on it is inscribed " Gunvil 1727 : 5 oz :
16 dwts." — The Flagon is electro-plated, inscribed as a gift from
Rev. John Watts, Rector, 1858. — A Spoon, of silver-gilt, 7^in.
long, of Dutch make, and bearing the Amsterdam hall mark.
This parish is singularly deficient in parochial records ; there are
none relating to the Church, its history, or goods.

Tarrant Hinton. — A Chalice, 7in. in height, with the hall
mark of 1842. — A Paten, 6in. in diam., of the Britannia standard,
bearing hall mark of 17 16. — A Flagon, iiiin. in height, with the
hall mark of 1820.— A small basin-shaped Alms-dish, hall-marked
1804. All these pieces are inscribed with the sacred monogram
and " Tarrant Hinton Church, 1843." The two last pieces were
given by the late Rector, the Rev. Cossley Diggle Saunders, in
1843 ; at this time the old chalice of the church was disposed of,
and all attempts to trace it have proved fruitless.

Tarrant Kevnstone. — An Elizabethan Chalice, without cover,
6jin. in height. The hall marks consist of a small black letter n
for 1570, the lion passant, the leopard's head crowned; the
maker's mark is an unusual one ; it is a combination of the capital
letters T and E, with a half circle on the dexter side of the down
stroke. A similar mark is found on a cup at Walditch, of the
same year. There is a single band of intersecting foliated strap-
work round the bowl. — A Paten, sin. in diam., with hall mark of
1830. — Also a plated Flagon and two Alms-dishes. No allusion
to Church Plate is found in the parish registers, which are very
bald, and do not go further back than 1731.

Tarrant Monkton (with Tarrant Launceston). — A Chalice
and cover, measuring together 8^in. in height. This cup is
generally of the Elizabethan type ; it bears the single mark i^\
the same as that found on thirteen others in this part of ^g?
the county. It is, however, an e.xceptional piece, as it varies in
date and decoration from all the others having this mark. It
bears the following inscription : " William Dashwood and Robert
Tuffin Churchwardens 1607." The belt of intersecting strap-
work round the bowl is more flowing in design, and the domed
form of the paten cover is different from the other e.xamples, the
type of which is found in the Gillingham chalice, dated 1574-



73

This cup was probably made about the time of the inscription. —
The Flagon and Alms-dish are of pewter.

Tarrant Rushton (with Tarrant Rawston). — The Chalice
is gin. in height, the bowl of bell form, with a moulded band round
the stem. The hall mark date is 1756, and the maker's mark
R. C. for Robert Cox. It is inscribed " Rushton Church Plate
Dorset 1756." — There is a Paten, sin. in diam., bearing the same
hall marks and inscription.

Tarrant Rawston. — The Chalice measures 6gin. in height, and
it has a plain cylindrical bowl with broad spreading foot ; there is
a single mark, but illegible. The date of the cup, no doubt,
corresponds with the following inscription, " The Guift of Mrs.
Katherine Radford Widdow, to the Parrish of Rawston 1639."
Between this is engraved a lozenge, charged with a cross moline,
for Uvedale. The donor was daughter of Thomas Uvedale, of
Horton. She married Arthur Radford, of Dewlish. He was a
younger son of the Radfords of Mount Radford, near Exeter. He
acquired the lordship of Rawston, which afterwards passed into the
Strangways family. — A Paten on foot, 4|in. in diara.



DEANERY OF PIMPERNE.



IX.

WIMBORNE PORTION.

Alderholt. — A Chalice of the EUzabethan period, measuring
7in. in height. It is of the usual type of the time, and is engraved
with a single band of intersecting foliated strap-work round the bowl.
In one respect it differs from all other early chalices in the county,
as it bears the Exeter hall marks instead of the London. These
consist of the capital letter X crowned, with a mullet on either
side of the letter, all enclosed within a circle ; also IONS, standing
for John Ions, a well-known goldsmith of Exeter ; and the capital
letter B, probably the date letter for the year 1576, but we are
not left in much doubt, as precisely the same marks are found on
chalices at Tamerton Foliot, and Littleham, Devon, inscribed
1576. — There is a Paten cover used with this, bearing the modern
Exeter assay mark of 1857. There was anciently a chapel at
Alderholt, dedicated to St. Clement, belonging to the mother
church of Cranborne. The last reader at this chapel was
Hanibal Chater, about the year 1670; it was demolished some
twenty years afterwards. In 1849 a new church was built. In
1857 the Rev. R. Hooker Wix was made incumbent ; he gave this
chalice to the Church, having purchased it of a silversmith at
Exeter, and at the same time had a proper paten cover made for
it ; thus, this interesting old cup, designed originally, no doubt,
for some church in the diocese of Exeter, has at last found a
resting-place in the diocese of Salisbury. Previous to this the
vessels were wholly of pewter, and had probably been brought
from Cranborne. The parish still retains the old pewter cup,
which is of good design, and an Alms-dish of the same metal.

Ch.\lbury. — A Chalice, 7in. in height, of Elizabethan type, and
bearing the sole mark ^^, It has a broad band of interlaced
strap -work, without ^^ foliation, engraved round the bowl
A similar cup is given as an illustration in the parish of Gilllngham ;



75

this has the inscribed date of 1574. — The Paten, Sin. diam, with
a foot, is of plated metal.

Cranborne (with Boveridge). — A Chalice, with plain bowl
resting on a short stem, Sjin. in height, and a Paten, 6|in. in


1 2 3 4 6 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Online LibraryJames Edward NightingaleThe church plate of the county of Dorset. With extracts from the returns of church goods by the Dorset commissioners of Edward VI. 1552 → online text (page 6 of 19)