Copyright
James Edward Nightingale.

The church plate of the county of Dorset. With extracts from the returns of church goods by the Dorset commissioners of Edward VI. 1552 online

. (page 7 of 19)
Online LibraryJames Edward NightingaleThe church plate of the county of Dorset. With extracts from the returns of church goods by the Dorset commissioners of Edward VI. 1552 → online text (page 7 of 19)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


diam., both bearing the hall marks of 1632, and the maker's P B
with a crescent above and below within a heart-shaped shield.
On the cup is inscribed, " Qure dedit hoc Christo scriptum pia
fcemina nomen In libro vita; gaudet habere suum )5< 1632," and
on the paten " Pater tuus qui videt in occulto Ipse reddet tibi
in propatulo. Matt. vi. 1632." — A Chalice No. 2, 6|in. in height,
with the bowl tapering downwards to the stem, in the form of a
wineglass; it has the Britannia hall mark of 171 2, but is no
longer in use. This is no doubt the cup mentioned in the
churchwardens' accounts of the year 1720. " P'^ for a silver bowl
for the Communion i . 1 1 . o." — Chalice No. 3, of modern design,
with the hall mark of 1879. In the last edition of Hutchins'
History of Dorset (1869) it is stated that there are three chalices
and three patens here. Apparently the chalice of 1879 replaces
an older cup and paten. — Paten No. 2, loin. diam., with a foot;
it bears the hall mark of 1690, the maker's seems to be a cursive
I A conjoined, and has the following inscription: — "Ex dono
Edward Hooper Armig. et Doiii Dorothea ux. ann. 1 7 1 5 in usum
parochiae Cranbourniensis," besides a large shield of arms of the
families of Hooper and Ashley-Cooper. This salver has gadroon
borders ; it was possibly not made for church purposes, but was
in domestic use before it was given to the parish. Sir Edward
Hooper, of Boveridge, Knt., ob. 167 1, by his will, orders his body
to be buried at Cranborne with his ancestors ; he is said to have
obtained his knighthood from King Charles II., under the singular
circumstances mentioned by Hutchins in his History of Dorset.
Sir Edward, dying without issue, gave his estate to his relative,
Mr. Hooper, of Heron Court, Hants, and the future residence of
the family was partly there and partly at Boveridge. The donor
of the paten was the second Edward after the union of the two
houses ; he married Lady Dorothy Ashley Cooper, second daughter
of the second Earl of Shaftesbury ; she died in 1749. Their joint
armorial bearings are engraved on the paten. — The present Flagon
is electro-plated, of modern work, and is therefore not one of the
pair entered in the churchwardens' accounts for 1721, as follows :
— " P'^ for 2. new fHagons for ye Communion (over and beside ye
old ones) 8^ 3*." These two flagons were, no doubt, of pewter.



76

Long Critchel (with Moor Critchel). — The ChaUce here
is 6in. in height, with bell-shaped bowl and baluster stem. The
hall mark is apparently that of 1663, and the maker's mark R.D.
It is inscribed with the sacred monogram. — A Paten without foot,
7in. in diameter. — A Flagon, Sjin. high, with the hall mark of
1826, and inscribed "Dei et Deo" within rays.

Moor Critchel. — A Chalice, 9jin. high. The cup is bell-
shaped, with baluster stem. — A Paten, sin. in diam. — An Alms-
dish, iijin. in diam. All these pieces bear the hall mark of the
year 1751, the maker's mark being cursive capitals I.JV. Also
the following inscription : — " The Gift of S'' William Napier
Baronet to be used at the Sacred Communion in the Parish
Church of Moor Critchell 1752." On each piece is also engraved
his arms, A saltire engrailled behveen four roses. Sir William
Napier died without issue in 1753. — A pair of massive tankard
Flagons, i3in. in height, having the hall mark of the year 1636,
and inscribed " The Gift of S'' Nathaniel Napier Knight and
Baronet to be used at the Sacred Communion in the Parish
Church of Moor Critchell." The probable donor was Member
of Parliament for Dorset in 1676, and for Dorchester in 170 1.
The Napiers were descended from an ancient family in Scotland,
and held the manor of Moor Critchel for some time. They
became extinct here in 1765.

Edmonsham. — A Chalice, S^in. high ; the bowl is straight
sided, with a knot on the stem and a broad moulded base ; it has
no hall marks, but is inscribed, " Ex dono Thomje Hussey
Armigeri A™ D° 1685," together with his arms, Barry of six,
ermine and gules. Thomas Hussey, also of Marnhull, died in
July, 1684, aet. 54, sep. Edmonsham. A member of the ancient
family of Hussey held the manor and advowson of Edmonsham
temp. Edward IV. — A Paten, 6|in. in diam., without hall marks.
• — A Flagon, 12 in. in height, bearing the hall mark of 1759;
under the sacred monogram is inscribed, " The Gift of the Rev"*
M"' Green A.M. Rector of Edmundsham." The Rev. Maurice
Green was instituted to the living in 1731, and died 1768.

Guss.\GE All S.\ints. — A Chalice, measuring 7in. in height.
This is of the Elizabethan type, and has a broad band of inter-
laced strap-work without foliation round the bowl. It bears no



77

mark beyond a contemporary account of its weight, Sox. This is,
doubtless, another example of a local pattern which is illustrated
with the Gillinghani plate, and was in all probability made by the
manufacturer who used the stamp of seven roundells within a
circle of dots. The cup bears the following inscription, which
was evidently done at an early date, " The + Cope + of +
alholloiie + gvysheldge + Farrishe." The word " allhallown "
is used for " all-saints." — A Paten, 7in. diam., with foot and
gadroon edge; it has the hall mark of 1784, the makers being
Sutton and Bult, and is inscribed, " To the Communicants in the
Parish Church of Gussage All Saints from James Mayo A.M.
Vicar 1817 — 1833." — A Flagon of electro-plate, inscribed with the
sacred monogram and " Gussage All Saints 1865," given by C. R.
W. Waldy, Vicar.

Gussage St. Michael. — A Chalice, 7|in. in height ; the bowl
is of plain bell shape, and bears the hall mark of 1761, and the
maker's mark S.W. — There is also a Paten cover, 4|in. in diam.,
with the same marks and the addition of the sacred monogram,
together with the year 1762. — There were formerly two ancient
Chalices of silver belonging to this Church ; it is supposed that
they were alienated when the present cup and cover were acquired
in the last century.— A Flagon and Alms-dish, electro-plated,
presented by the Rev. George Dewdney, 11. a.. Rector in 1S57.

Hampreston. — A Chalice, gin. high — Paten, 5|in. diam. —
Flagon, ii^in. high — Alms-dish, nin. diam. — all bearing the hall
marks of 1754, and the maker's mark I. IV. in cursive capitals,
and all inscribed, " The Gift of Frances White Widow." Frances
White was the widow of a clergyman ; she died in this neighbour-
hood, and left charitable bequests to this parish and some others,
about 1780.

HiNTON Martel. — A large bell-shaped Chalice, with knot on
stem and moulded base, measuring 8|in. in height, with a Paten
cover, S^in. in diam., both bearing the hall marks for the year
1634. The maker's is R C with a pheon in base, enclosed within
a heart-shaped shield. A similar cup by the same maker, of the
year 1629, is preserved at Welbeck, being that from which King
Charles I. received the Communion on the morning of his death.
On the bowl of the chalice at Hinton Martel is engraved a coat of



arms, A mawuh, for Hastings, surmounted by the helmet of a
noble, with mantling and crest, On a wreath, a biilFs head (rased
gorged with a ducal coronet. This crest is also engraved on the
paten. The donor was Henry Hastings, of Woodlands, second
son of George fourth Earl of Huntingdon ; the usual crescent for
difference of a second son is not found on the shield, but there is
a cavity in the upper part of the maunch which gives the appear-
ance of one. He acquired part of the estate at Woodlands, the
ancient seat of the Filiols, by marriage with Dorothy, second
daughter and coheir of Sir Francis Willoughby, of Wollaton,
CO. Nottingham. In 1645 his estate here, valued at ^300 per
annum, was sequestrated. He afterwards compounded for it for
;^S°°- A full length portrait of this remarkable man is preserved
in the collection of the Earl of Shaftesbury at St. Giles' ; it will be
found engraved in Hutchins' History of Dorset under the parish
of Horton. Here will also be found a vivid sketch of his mode of
life and of the amusements of a country gentleman of that period ;
this was written by his neighbour Sir Anthony Ashley Cooper,
afterwards Earl of Shaftesbury, the celebrated Statesman, and was
probably influenced by their different political principles, one
being attached to the King, the other to the Parliament. At the
time of his death, in 1650, he had very nearly attained his
hundredth year. He was buried in the Hastings aisle of Horton
Church.*— There is besides a plated Flagon and Alms-dish, also
a pewter flagon no longer in use.

• The Church of Horton was dedicated to St. Wultrude or Wulfryth, who
was Abbess of WiUon from about A.D. 968 to 1000. She was placed in the
monastery of Wilton to be educated, and was there seen by King Edgar. The
story of fier abduction is well known ; the holy lives afterwards spent in the
monastery of Wilton by herself and her daughter, St. Edith, are found
abundantly recorded in the CItionicon Vilodunaise. St. Dunstan subjected
his sovereign to a severe penance for violating the sanctity of the cloister.
During the reign of Wultrude as Abbess, about the year 972, the monastery
was placed under the Rule of St. Benedict. This very unusual dedication of a
church to St. Wultrude is probably accounted for by the fact that the Manor of
Didlington in Chalbury, adjoining Horton, was an ancient possession of the
monastery of Wilton. The gift must liave been made at an early period, as
we find in the Domesday Book that " the Church of St. Mary of Wilton holds
Dedilintone." After the dissolution of the monastery it was granted, 35th
Henry Vni., to Sir WiUiam Herbert, afterwards Earl of Pembroke. These
lands in Chalbury and Didlington remained in that family until about the
middle of the seventeenth century. The Earl of Pembroke is still patron of
the rector)' of Chalbury in succession to the Abbesses of Wilton. It does not
appear that there is any other instance of a church being dedicated to
St. Wultrude. In the county of Wilts there are two churches dedicated to her
daughter, St. Edith, those of Baverstock and Limpley Stoke.



79

HiNTON Parva. — The vessel now in use as a Chalice is a cup
of silver gilt with two handles, elaborately decorated with foliage,
6fin. in height, bearing the hall marks of 1765 ; the makers were
Wipham and Wright. The whole of the plate belonging to this
parish was stolen in 1820 ; the present cup was given by Sir
Richard Carr Glyn in 1821, and was evidently not made for
Church use. It is inscribed " The Gift of Sir Richard Carr Glyn,
Bar'." A Paten, yin. diam., and a Flagon, ii|in. in height, have
the hallmarks of 1836, and are inscribed with the sacred mono-
gram.

HoRTON (with Woodlands). — A Chalice, 6iin. in height,
having a Paten cover, of Elizabethan type, with a broad band of
plain intersecting strap-work without foliation engraved round the
bowl. This is another example of certain communion cups found
in the northern part of the county, probably of provincial make.
No marks of any kind are found on it. This chalice is of the same
character as that illustrated in Gillingham parish, and was most
likely made by the same hand. — The tankard-shaped Flagon is of
pewter.

At Woodlands there is a Chalice, Paten, and Flagon, electro-
plated, presented by the seventh Earl of Shaftesbury, in 1867.

West Parley. — An Elizabethan Chalice with Paten cover.
Height of cup, 6|in. The foliated and interlaced strap-work
ornamentation which surrounds the bowl is larger and richer than
usual. On the handle of the paten cover is inscribed 1574. The
only mark found is . :#1^ There is also an electro-

plated Paten, given ■^ ^^ in 1859, by Rev. C. R.

Bullen, and an Alms-dish of pewter, bearing the name and mark
of John Carpenter, with a globe and compasses.

Pentridge. — A small Elizabethan Chalice with Paten cover,
the cup measuring 5^in. in height. It has a single foliated band
round the bowl, and bears the hall mark of the year 1575, a
small black letter 0. The maker's mark is H S interlaced, within
a shaped shield, probably that of Henry Sutton, as seen in O. E. P.
under the year 1570. The remaining pieces are electro-plated.

Wimborne Minster (with Holt St. John).— Nothing now
remains of the riches of this ancient religious foundation as they



8o

existed before the Reformation. According to an early con-
tributor to " Hutchins" the plate, jewels, &c., belonging to this
Church were very considerable in the 15 th century. Not long
betbre the Reformation the high altar was furnished with " Four
chalices of silver and gilt, and two chalices of silver," besides
other valuable objects. Churchwardens' accounts, with some
omissions, are preserved by the Minster authorities from 1475 'o
1700. Under the year 15 18 we find a legacy from "Master
Warlond sextante" consisting of a " chalys, a rode of sylver and
ye grette portowys."* The long series of entries of expenses and
receipts pertaining to the Minster is rudely broken into in 1547
(first of Edward VI.), when an entry is found of a payment of
2S. for "takyne downe ye rode." The pillage of church goods
here seems to have taken place at an early period of the reign of
Edw. VI., for in the same year an account is rendered of
" Certeine parcells of plate and other of the churche goods
remayning in th' ands of John Lovell gent." Amongst the items
left, apparently after the Commissioners had helped themselves,
is " one challyse of copper and gilt." It does not appear by what
authority these "commissioners" acted ; in any case they seem to
have required a good deal of bodily sustenance to carry on their
work, for instance " It. p" to Master Phyllepes to desyre hym to
hellpe us make ye invytory for ye cherche goods, 20s." — " It. p'' fore
ye comyssenors dener at duyes (I'Jeweys) 15s." — " It. p'' for alle
ther dener yt dyde hellpe them to make ye ynvytory, 2S. rid."
— " It. p'' for 5 quarts of wyne and sawg (? sugar) att Mr.
Lovell's for ye comyssernes." None of these gentry seem to have
done their work without being well paid for it, for example " P'^
to Master Phyllypes for hys councell att tymes, 41s. 6d." It will
be seen in the Appendix that no return was made of Plate
belonging to Wimborne Minster by the Commissioners of Edward
VI. in 1552 by reason of the plague then raging. In the year
1569 we find an entry of a payment for a new "communyon
coppe," 3/. lod. ; this charge might have been for transforming a
"massing chalice" into a "decent Communion cup." It appears
that during the time of the rebellion this church suffered much
from the fanatic fury of the period ; it is recorded that " Happily
the holy vessels given by several devout benefactors for the use of
the sacrament were secreted, and preserved to this day."

* The " grette portowys" was a large Breviary.



8i

The Plate at Wimborne Minster now consists of two Chalices,
Sin. in height, with Paten covers ; the hall marks are of the year
163S, the maker's being I G, with a covered cup in base, all within
a plain shield. The for.Ti is bell-shaped, with a knot on the stem.
On one cup is inscribed, " Giuen three powndes towards this
challice by Alice Browne Widow. Anno Dom. mdcxxxviii."
A similar inscription is found on the other, but omitting the name.
This Alice Browne, by her will in 1637, left monies and land to
the parish for charitable uses. She probably also gave, many
years before, to the Parish Church of South Perrot a good Chalice
and cover of the Elizabethan type, and hall-marked 1604. This
is also inscribed as a gift from " Alice Browne, Widow." A bowl-
shaped Paten, with foot, measuring 6Jin. in diam., without hall
marks, but inscribed "The . pious . raoneyes . of . thomas .
Boxely . Deceast . By . His . Feofifyes . in . part . Employed .
A° Dom. 1634." A Thomas Bo.xley gave by his will, in 1561,
certain lands to the parish for charitable purposes. He is men-
tioned in a charter of 2nd Elizabeth as holding the Tithes of the
Second Prebend in the Collegiate Church. The donor of the
paten was, in all probability, his descendant. — A second Paten, of
salver shape, with three feet, measures yin. in diam. The hall
mark date is 1781 ; the maker's, that of Daniel Smith and Robert
Sharp. There is engraved on it a shield, very much worn. — A
Flagon, iijin. in height, bearing the hall mark of 1681, and the
maker's mark I S, inscribed, " Given to the parish Church of Wim-
borne for the vse of y" Sacram' of y^ Lords supper by Robert
Higden one of the Clerks of y"= said parish who dyed y'^ third of
Feb. 1681." — Flagon No. 2, i3|in. in height, with the hall marks
of 1847, given by the Rev. Lester Lester, one of the vicars, about
1874. — Alms-dish No. i, 8|in. in diam., with the hall marks of the
Britannia standard for 1721, and inscribed " Given to the Parish
Church of Wimburn minsf Com : Dors' By Anthony Etrick Gent.
March y" 25 An. Dom. 1722, Which he Desires may be used For
collecting y'" offerings on." There are several monuments to the
family of Etrick in the Minster ; a predecessor of the donor of the
Alms-dish was the eccentric Anthony Etrick, of Holt Lodge,
who, having been offended with the inhabitants of Wimborne,
made solemn protestations that he never would be buried in their
church or churchyard ; this injunction caused his heirs to place
his coffin in the wall, level with the floor of the church. — Alms-
dish No. 2, S^in. diam., bearing the hall marks of 1856, and



82

inscribed " Given to the Parish Church of Wimborne Minster
by Miss Georgiana Druitt Feb. i, An. Dom. 1857 To be used
for collecting the Alms at the Offertory." She was daughter
of Thomas Druitt, Esq., Surgeon, of Wimborne, and was born
28th Feb., 1793. Three other plated Alms-dishes for ordinary
use.

Wimborne St. John. — A Chalice, Paten and Flagon, with the
hall mark of 1868. Presented by three members of the Glyn
family, 17th August, 1876.

Wimborne Holt. — A plain Chalice, 7in. high, hall marked
1802, also a Paten with foot, 5 fin. diam., marks illegible. Flagon
and two Alms-dishes of electro-plate.

Wimborne St. Giles. — A Chalice, 6|in. in height, of the
Elizabethan type, decorated with a broad band of plain interlaced
strap-work round the bowl. The only mark found is ^^
This is another of the numerous cups found in this part ^^
of the county by the same maker, an illustration of which will be
seen under the parish of Gillingham. There is a Paten cover,
the handle of which is peculiar ; it is formed of three semi-
circular stems supporting a flat piece of silver, on which is chased
a rose. A similar termination to a paten is found at Shaftesbury
St. James, probably by the same maker. — A Chalice of the unusual
dimensions of ii|in. in height, a Paten, 6|in. diam., and a Flagon,
i4in. high, all bearing the hall marks of 1730 and the maker's
mark, T F, for Thomas Ffarrer. On the cup is inscribed, " Anno
Dom. 1 731, w' 26.10. The gift of y"^ R''' Honourable Jane
Countess Dowager of Shaftesbury," the weight of the Paten being
10 oz. 9 dwts., and that of the flagon 75.12. The donor of this
massive service was wife of the third Earl of Shaftesbury. She
died at Naples, and was buried at St. Giles', Nov. 28, 1751. On
each piece is engraved a lozenge with the Ashley-Cooper arms
impaling those of her own family, A talbot {or tiger) statant, on a
chief three crosses pattee, for Ewer of Lees-Langley, co. Herts. —
There is besides a second Paten, 6|in. in diam., with the hall
mark of 1756 and the maker's mark //under a crown, for John
Jacobs. On it is engraved A bull passant on a chapeau, the crest
of the Earls of Shaftesbury, surmounted by an Earl's coronet,
probably that of Anthony, the 4th Earl.



83

WicHA.Mi'iox. — A large bell-shaped Chalice, silver-gilt, 8^in. in
height, having the hall mark of 1630 and the maker's mark P R
with a crescent above and below. It is inscribed, " The guift of
Mrs. Elizabeth Scobbell widdow to the church of Wichampton.
Anno Domini 1630." Also a Paten with foot, 5! diam., similarly
marked. Between the inscription is engraved a coat of arms,
Three fleitrs de lys for Scobell, impaling On a /ess, between three
martlets, three estoiles. Crest, A demi-lion holding in the dexter paw
a fleur de lys. There is a monument to Mrs. Elizabeth Scohel
(sic) in the church ; she died in 1631, and is described as the
mother of Mrs. Johanna Cole. The arms of both these families
are found impaled there on monumental stones. A Mrs. Eliza-
beth Scobel gave a Paten to Upwey Church about 1715. — A
silver Flagon, 7;|in. in height, with the hall marks of 1806.



DEANERY OF SHAFTESBURY.



X.

SHAFTESBURY PORTION.

BouRTON. — A Chalice, 6jin. in height, with a cover. — A Paten,
5in. diam. — A Flagon, 7|in. high. All bearing the sacred mono-
gram, with the hall marks of 1810, and inscribed "The Gift of
Sir Richard Colt Hoare Bar' to the Chapel of Bourton A.D. 181 1,"
Bourton Church was consecrated by the Bishop of Bristol in
1813.

BucKHORN Weston. — An Elizabethan Chalice, without cover,
6in. in height, bearing the hall mark of 1562-3, being the small
black letter C ; the maker's mark a small capital s within rays, but
without border or shield. There is a vertically-reeded moulding
round the stem and foot of cup, but no developed knot on the
stem, which might have been altered slightly and possibly reduced
in height. On the bowl is engraved a single band of foliated
intersecting strap-work. — This parish retains its old Paten, one of
the three remaining medieval pieces in the county. It measures
5in. in diam. The general features will be seen from the
illustration. It varies from most others in having the second
depression formed of hollow shell-like sexfoils. This is seen
prominently from the back, where the six depressions form a large
rounded sexfoil base to the paten. The foliated spandrels are
somewhat coarsely engraved, as is also the sacred monogram in
the centre, enclosed within a circle of spiral lines or cable.*
Inside the two lines of the outer rim of the paten is a very slightly

* All known examples of the medieval Paten are circular in form with a
depression in the centre, so as to form a cover for the Chalice ; this depression
is either circular or multifoil in outline. In the centre is to be found, with
scarcely an exception, an engraved device. Amongst the earliest is that of
the Agnus Dei ; this is seen on the most interesting paten, still in use,
belonging to the parish church of Wyke, near Winchester. Its date is not
later than about 12S0 ; now that the ancient Wiltshire chalice of Berwick St.
James is transferred to the British Museum, this Wyke paten is by far the



8s

punched ornament. There are no hall marks to certify the date.
It is probably somewhere between 15 lo and 1520. On the rim
is either a maker's or a town mark. It consists of a circle in
which is a cross with a pellet between each limb, but without any
border or shield. A similar mark has been found on some




P.iTEN. BUCKHORN WESTON (j size)



Elizabethan cups in Warwickshire, but these are not from the
same punch. In the Return of the Commissioners of Edward
VI. — printed in the Appendix— of the plate left by them for the
future use of the parish of " Bochorn Weston," one chalice
parcel-gilt is given, but no mention is made of a paten ; nor is



oldest piece of Church plate still in use in England. Another subject fre-
quently found on patens belonging to early coffin chalices, as well as in later
inventories of plate, is the Manns D,i, or Maiius Salvatoris, the Hand of God
issuing from clouds as in the act of benediction. Later on, a more common
subject is the Vernicle, or Face of our Lord, and not unfrequently the sacred
monogram. In some cases these subjects were enamelled in colours. In
later times the tendency is to use a plain disc of silver with a slight de-
pression.



this necessary adjunct of the chalice often specified in any other
cases. In all probability the word chalice was held to include
chalice and paten. — A second Paten, measuring 6|in. in diani., with
the Sheffield plate mark of 1858. It bears the sacred monogram
in the centre, and round the border is engraved a band of foliated
and intersecting strap-work, copied from the chalice. This paten
was presented by Dr. Bissett Hawkins in 1870. — The parish
retains its old Pewter Flagon, but it has been replaced by one of
glass with silver top, also given by Dr. Bissett Hawkins.

FiFEHEAD Magdalen. — An Elizabethan Chalice, measuring
6|in., including the Paten cover, 8in. The year mark is the small


1 2 3 4 5 7 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Online LibraryJames Edward NightingaleThe church plate of the county of Dorset. With extracts from the returns of church goods by the Dorset commissioners of Edward VI. 1552 → online text (page 7 of 19)