James H. (James Hadden) Smith.

History of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers online

. (page 31 of 125)
Online LibraryJames H. (James Hadden) SmithHistory of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 31 of 125)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Draper Hall, secretary. Addresses were made by
Charles H. S. Williams, Jr., Jeremiah Eighmie,
Albert Emans, Van Wyck Brinckerhoff, Rev. Mr.
Donnelly and David Ver Valin. The speaking
was of a patriotic character, suited to the occasion,
and was received with repeated applause. There
was a large attendance of ladies. At Fishkill Plains,
on the 29th of May, a flag was raised. A large
.procession was formed, including many ladies, and
headed by the Fishkill band, marched to the place
where the raising took place. Nicholas H. Strip-
pie was chosen chairman. The Rev. Mr. Cobb
opened the exercises with prayer. Charles H. S.
Williams, Jr., Albert Emans, V. W. Brinckerhoff,
AUard Anthony, M. D. Wilber, Rev. Mr. Lent and
Jeremiah Eighmie delivered addresses. June ist a
flag raising at Pleasant Valley was largely attended
by people from all the surrounding country to the
number of three thousand or more. Ebenezer
Allen was elected president. Several vice-presi-
dents and secretaries were chosen. The Rev. F.
B. Wheeler opened the exercises with prayer, after
which addresses were delivered by Rev. B. F.
Wile, James Bowne, Mayor of Poughkeepsie,
Rev. F. B. Wheeler, WiUiam Wilkinson, Esq., A.
S. Pease and Hon. H. A. Nelson. The exercises
were interspersed with music by the brass band.

Nor were those engaged in this labor unmindful
of the physical needs of the families of those who
heroically threw themselves into the vortex of war.
Provision was made for their support by towns and
municipalities, and this aid was supplemented by
individual contributions. The Poughkeepsie Daily
Eagle of May 31, 1861, published a list of one
hundred and forty-one subscribers to a " Fund for
the Relief of Volunteers from this County and their
Families." The gross amount subscribed was $ i o,-
875. It comprised one contribution of $300, one
of $250, three of $200, one of $150, sixty-eight of
$100, forty-four of $50, and twenty-three of $25
each. In addition $254.61 was donated by dif-
ferent individuals, included in which was $69.61
from the pupils of Rev. Mr. Rider's school, being
the proceeds of a concert.



The men who enlisted in this county under these
calls and the subsequent ones of October ist and
November 6th of that year were scattered through
so many different organizations and branches of
the service that it would be an almost inter-
minable task to trace their connection, and make
a record quite too voluminous for the scope of this
work. Many joined the 20th Regiment, which was
raised at Kingston, for two years, and was composed
largely of those who had belonged to it as a militia
regiment. The regiment left its encampment at
Kingston, for the seat of war October 25, 1861.
Previous to this — on the nth of October — the
regiment made a farewell visit to Poughkeepsie.
After parading the streets a bountiful collation was
served by the ladies in Pine's Hall, which was
handsomely decorated. They were escorted
through the principal streets by the Ellsworth
Greys, the rain preventing a strict adherence to the
programme laid down. After the collation. Rev.
G. M. McEckron, in a patriotic speech, presented
the regimental standard prepared by the ladies of
Poughkeepsie. It bore on each side the seal of
the State of New York, and the inscription " 20th
Regt. N. Y. S. T." On one side was inscribed
" From the Ladies of Poughkeepsie," and on the
other, "Organized Augusts, 1857." Mrs. Wins-
low also presented a national flag with the direction
to " present it to one Jeff. Davis, as the ensign of
the Southern Confederacy, and if he objects to re-
ceiving and adopting it, tell him he must." Capt.
Smith responded in behalf of the regiment, and
both he and Mr. McEckron were interrupted by
almost continuous cheering, " and when Col. Pratt
took the two flags and asked the regiment if they
would defend them, the cries of 'We Will' were ab-
solutely deafening." Company A of this regiment,
commanded by Capt. James Smith, was raised in
Poughkeepsie. The regiment numbered 950 offi-
cers and men, 758 of whom were present in Pough-
keepsie on the nth of October. John R. Leslie,
who was well known as a teacher in Poughkeepsie,
was ist Lieut, of Co. B, of this regiment. Dr. R.
K. Tuthill, also of Poughkeepsie, was Assistant
Surgeon, and Theodore Van Kleeck, Sergeant
Major of the same regiment.

Many others united with the 30th Regiment, for
two years. Co. E of that regiment, commanded by
Capt. Harrison Holliday, who raised the first com-
pany for the war in Poughkeepsie, left Poughkeep-
sie 130 strong, and returned at the expiration of
*two years with only 55. The regiment was mus-
tered June 1, 1861, and left for the seat of war that 1

month, (passing Poughkeepsie en route for New
York on the 27th,) but were not actively employed
till the following year, when they formed part of
McDowell's corps on the Rappahannock, On the
loth of August the regiment was sent to re-enforce
Pope, and afterwards took part in the short, but
momentous campaign under that General, which
ended in the retreat to Washington. In the battle
at Gainesville and 2d Bull Run, the Poughkeepsie
Co. lost its captain and the regiment its colonel.
Soon afterwards they were again engaged at
the battles of South Mountain and Antietam, bear-
ing in each a distinguished part. They were also
present at the battle of Fredericksburgh, under Burn-
side, and at Chancellorsville, under Hooker, but
took no prominent part in either. Eleven battle-
fields witnessed its devotion to the Union. The
regiment joined the army with 741 men, which
number was subsequently increased to 1,100. It
returned with 491. It lost in killed and wounded,
331; by deaths and accidents, 12; by discharges
through sickness or disability, 288. It had 6 offi-
cers and 94 men killed and 12 officers and 219 men
wounded in action. Flockton's band of Pough-
keepsie, were engaged by Col. Frisbee of this regi-
ment during its encampment at Camp Rathbone,
near West Troy, and to escort it to the city of
Washington. This band subsequently enlisted for
two years to accompany the regiment to the war.

Co. I of the 74th regiment, was raised in Pough-
keepsie, in the summer of 1861, by Capt. Arthur
Wilkinson, and served for three years. In August
and September of that year some T35 men were
enlisted in this county for Col. Ramsey's regiment,
then stationed at Camp Leslie, Dobb's Feriy,
mostly by Lieut. Broom. August 31st, as that
officer was about to leave Poughkeepsie with a
party of volunteers for that camp, they were ad-
dressed in a kind and encouraging speech by Mrs.
Charles H. Ruggles, of Poughkeepsie, who, at the
conclusion of her remarks, presented each with
two pocket-handkerchiefs, and informed them that
"a patriotic lady was preparing them a flag, which
she trusted they would bear right gallantly for the-
honor of the country." On Friday, Oct. 4th, that
lady presented a stand of colors to Capt. A. Lava-
lie's company, (formerly Co. C, of Col. Ramsey's
regiment,) at Dobb's Ferry. This company was
recruited in this county by Lieut. Broom. In
August, 1 86 1, Edward Titus, son of the late Judge
Titus, of the town of Washington, was authorized
by Col. De Forest to recruit a company of cavalry.
His headquarters were at Little Rest in this county,



and a branch office was opened by Wm. H. Broas,
at 314 Main street, Poughkeepsie. Fifty-five men
were recruited, mostly in the interior and eastern
parts of the county, and joined the Ira Harris
Guard, then rendezvoused in New York. Nearly
an entire company of the Washington Greys, (af-
terwards designated the 47th,) commanded by Col.
Henry Moore, were recruited in the towns of Stan-
ford, Pine Plains and Clinton, with a few from
Poughkeepsie, in the summer of 1861. They
joined the regiment at East New York the latter
part of August, and two weeks later proceeded to
Washington and encamped on Meridian Hill. It
subsequently removed to Camp Sherman, named
in honor of Gen. Sherman, and situated about a
mile from the capitol. It was brigaded with four
other regiments under Gen. Egbert Velie, a West
Point officer. In September, 1861, twenty-eight
men were recruited by Capt. Charles Bohrer, for
the Morgan Rifles, composed entirely of Germans,
and commanded by Col. Andrew Leutz. The re-
cruiting office was in George Seiver's lager beer
saloon, at the corner of Main and Bridge streets
in Poughkeepsie. Thirty men were enfisted by
Wm. H. Wheeler for Capt. Cromwell's company
of the First New York State Cavalry, encamped at
Troy and commanded by Col. Morrison. Twenty
of these — six from the city and the rest from the
country — left Poughkeepsie for the encampment
at Troy Sept. 24, 1861, and the remainder, early
in October. During the summer of 1861, a com-
pany was raised at FishkilL Landing to join the
19th regiment, whose headquarters were then at
Newburgh, and on the 17th of August they were
reviewed by Gen. Parraenter. August 19, 1861,
Pawhng sent six young men to the "People's
Ellsworth Regiment" at Albany. Their friends,
to the number of one hundred, met them at the
cars to see them off, and raised by subscription
over $150 in cash for their benefit. Other towns
furnished men for this regiment, which was desig-
nated the 44th, as follows : Rhinebeck — 6 in Co.
G, I in Co. I, 6 in Co. C, and i in Co. H ;
Washington — i in Co. G, and 3 in Co. E ; Town
of Poughkeepsie — 2 in Co. E ; Poughkeepsie City
— 4 in Co. E, viz : the zd Lieut., and ist, 3d and
4th Sergeants ; Pleasant Valley— i each in Cos. E
and G ; and Milan — i in Co. K. Wm. L. Vander-
lip was Captain of Co. G, Wm. H. Revere, Jr., of
Co. C, A. W. Shaffer, of Co. I, and Wm. Miller,
of Co. K. S. W. Stryker, of New York, was
Colonel. The regiment left Albany for Washing-
ton on Monday, Oct. 21st.

In the fall of i86i, Capt. M. V. L. Hevenor, of
Rhmebeck, was engaged in raising a company to be
attached to the First Regiment, Clinton Guards,
and composed in good part of members of the
Schuyler Guard, then recently returned from three
months' service. The Rhinebeck Gazette of that
period said, " Recruits are offering freely." The
regiment was commanded by Col. Spencer W.
Cone, a West Point graduate, and was rendezvoused
at Camp Harris, on Staten Island. Oct. 25th,
Capt. Manton C. Angell left Poughkeepsie with
six men for Co. B, of that regiment, en route for
the camp on Staten Island. November 30th, Capt.
Atkins, of the American Citizens Corps, left Pough-
keepsie with thirteen men for the McClellan
• Chasseurs, (the 91st Vols.,) organized at Albany
in December, 1861. Jan. 9, 1862, Lieut. Phoenix
Bockee, of Co. B, 2d N. Y. (Jackson,) Artillery,
left by the Harlem railroad with twelve men for
that regiment, at Camp Yates, East New York.
In the latter part of October, 1861, Lieut. S. W.
Cooper of the 8th U. S. Infantry opened a re-
cruiting office in the city hall, Poughkeepsie, and
during the two succeeding months enlisted fourteen
men for that regiment, which was then stationed in
Fort Hamilton. November 14th, Capt. Thacher,
of the 14th Regulars, took eleven recruits to the
camp of the regiment in Maryland. Early in De-
cember, Lieut. Benjamin Atkins opened a recruiting
office at the armory of the American Citizens
Corps, in the Library Building in Poughkeepsie,
for Capt. Samuel S. Parker's Co. B, 87th Regi-
ment, formerly the 13th Brooklyn. About the
middle of November, Henry A. Downing opened
a recruiting office in the court house for the Put-
nam Rifles, commanded by Col. H. W. Adams.
About the middle of September a recruiting station
was established at 277 Main street in Poughkeep-
sie, for the De Epineuil Zouaves, (53d Vols.,) a
regiment commanded by officers who had seen ser-
vice in the French army.

In these and various other organizations, too
numerous for detailed mention, the bone and sinew
of the yeomanry of Duchess county were repre-
sented in detached fragments, but exceeding in
the aggregate a thousand men, the offering of this
first spontaneous outburst of patriotism. For in-
telligence and sterling manly qualities they com-
pared favorably with the troops of that period from
any section of the State or country. S. H. Bogardus,
Jr., of Co. C, 5th Regiment, writing under date of
Oct. 8, 1 86 1, from Camp Federal Hill, where the
regiment were engaged in erecting batteries, said,



the Poughkeepsie boys are well thought of in the
regiment. Such, if it could have found expression,
might have been the verdict of the Duchess county
troops generally. Nor did they in all cases fill in-
conspicuous niches. Lieut. John L. Worden, who
distinguished himself in command of the Monitor m
the desperate encounter with the Merrimac, March
9, 1862, was a native of Duchess county, and for-
merly resided in Fishkill, and also, for a time, in
Poughkeepsie. The builder of that staunch craft,
(the Monitor,) Stephen Simmons, was a native of
Poughkeepsie, a son of Isaac Simmons, a well-known

In the spring of 1862, the prospect of an early
peace induced the government to suspend the or-
ganization of new regiments, and some that had
been forwarded were actually mustered out ; but
on the zd of July of that year, the President, in-
duced by the severe losses sustained by the federal
armies in the early campaigns of 1862, and urged
on the 28th of June by the governors of seventeen
loyal States, issued a call for an additional 300,000
men, to serve for three years or during the war.
Of this number New York's quota was 59,705;
and in order to facilitate and systematize the labor
of raising them, and equalize the burden to be
borne, on the 7th of July the State was divided
into military districts, corresponding, with the ex-
ception of the first eight, with the senatorial dis-

Duchess county was then associated with Co-
lumbia in forming the nth district, in which the
raising of a regiment was authorized, and TivoU
was designated as the regimental camp. Hon.
William Kelly, of Rhinebeck, and Isaac Piatt, of
Poughkeepsie, were appointed by the Governor
members of a committee, of which the former was
made chairman, to adopt measures for facilitating
the raising of such regiment, and were empowered
to add to their number by forwarding to the Gov-
ernor the names of such as they chose to associate
with themselves. They were also commissioned to
recommend a commander and other principal offi-
cers for the regiment.

A meeting of this committee and others asso-
ciated with them was held at the Poughkeepsie
Hotel, Saturday, July 12, 1862, and attended by
the following named persons : Hon. William Kelly,
Hon. John Thompson, Hon. John H. Otis, Hon.
James Emott, Hon. Stephen Baker, C. W., Swift,
Benson J. Lossing, Isaac Piatt, W. S. Johnston,
James H. Weeks, Hon. Gilbert Dean and Ambrose
Wager. James Emott, Benson J. Lossing, John

H. Ketcham, J. F. Barnard and Ambrose Wager
were appointed an executive committee to confer
with a Hke committee from Columbia county, and
to devise ways and means to carry out the recom-
mendations of the Governor. Hons. WilUam
Kelly and Stephen Baker were appointed ex officio
members of said committee, and of the joint com-
mittee to be appointed by the two counties.

The committee for the two counties was as fol-
lows : Hon. William Kelly, chairman, James Emott,
John Thompson, James H. Weeks, Isaac Piatt,
John C. Cruger, J. F. Barnard, C. W. Swift, H. A.
Nelson, J. H. Ketcham, H. H. Hustis, Albert
Emans, J. B. Dutcher, J. B. Carpenter, Benson J.
Lossing, John S. Thome, John H. Otis, Isaac W.
White, William S. Johnston, Gilbert Dean, A.
Wager, H. H. Sincerbox, Joel Benton, Richard
Peck, WiUiam Chambeflain, Henry Staats and
Herrick Thome for Duchess county , and Henry
Hogeboom, Theodore Miller, Darius Peck, WiUiam
H. Tobey, O. L. Beale, D. S. Cowles, H. H. Til-
den, J. G. Palen, R. F. Clark, S. G. Tompkins,
John C. Collins, A. T. Miller, S. S. Wynkoop, S.
W. Tobey and Capt. Ashley, of Columbia county.

The joint committee met at Poughkeepsie, July
17, 1862, and on motion of Mr. Lossing resolved
to request the Governor to change the regimental
camp for this military district from Tivoli to Hud-
son. This change was authorized July 25, 1862,
by General Order No. 378.

It was also resolved : —

" That, having in view the relative population of
the counties of Duchess and Columbia, the county
of Duchess is required to furnish as her proportion
of a regiment of 1,010 rank and file, 585 men,
and the county of Columbia, 425, and that the ex-
ecutive committee of each county be requested
to take such action in apportioning the same upon
their said counties as may be deemed most effect-
ive, in their judgment, for the speedy raising of
such numbers respectively."

The executive committees were "requested to
obtain subscriptions to meet the incidental ex-
penses (not ptherwise provided for,) connected
with the raising of the regiment." At that meet-
ing Mr. Wager presented the application of P.
Chichester, of Poughkeepsie, to be enrolled as the
first recruit in the regiment.

George Parker opened a recruiting office in the
armory of the " Ellsworth Greys," in the city hall
of Poughkeepsie, July 22, 1862. On the 23dj F.
N. Sterling and S. C. Doty were associated with
him in a call for recruits for the new regiment.
Robert F. Wilkinson, who was appointed and duly



authorized to enlist recruits for this district, opened
an office at No. 2 Union street. John A. Van-
Keuren, Dewitt C. Underwood and John P. Wil-
kinson also signed a call for recruits, having opened
an office in the court house in Poughkeepsie.
About the same time George Veitch, of RhineclifF,
engaged to raise a company for the district regi-
ment in Rhinebeck.

David S. Cowles, of Hudson, was chosen Colonel
of the regiment to be raised in this district ;
and Capt. Alexander Annan, of Fishkill, Quarter-
master. Capt. Annan had seen considerable ser-
vice in the South, especially in the neighborhood
of Corinth. Capt. Abram Ashley, of Chatham
Four Corners, was soon after appointed Adjutant.

The quotas of the several towns in this county
under the call of July 2, 1862, and their popula-
tion in i860, are shown in the following table : —

Pop. in i860. Quota.

Amenia 2,288 35

Beekman i,37f 21

Clinton 1,922 3°

Dover 2,305 36

East Fishkill 2,544 39

Fishkill 9>S46 i47

Hyde Park 2,749 43

LaGrange 1,850 29

Milan 1,522 24

North East i,73S 27

Pawling 1,743 27

Pine Plains •• 1,412 22

Pleasant Valley 2,343 36

Poughkeepsie, (town) 3,122 48

" (city) 14,726 227

Red Hook 3,964 61

Rhinebeck 3,289 51

Stanford 2,323 36

Union Vale i,S°2 23

Washington 2,685 42

Duchess County 64,941 1,004

The following communication explains itself and
evinces the earnestness with which the promotion
of enlistments was entered into : —
''Executive Committee for Duchess County: —

" We beg leave to place in the hands of your
committee the sum of two hundred and fifty dol-
lars to be distributed as follows : $100 to the cap-
tain of the first company from this county mus-
tered into the service at our District Camp ; $75
to the captain of the second company so mustered
in ; $50 to the captain of the third company so
mustered in ; and $25 to the captain of the fourth
company so mustered into service.

" Very respectfully, C. W. Swift,

James Emott,
George Innis,
M. Vassar, Jr.,
A. Van Kleeck."

A large and stirring war meeting was held in the
Baptist Church at Pawling Station July 25th, over
which Hon. John B. Dutcher presided, assisted by
Duncan Campbell and David Gould. The church
was filled to its utmost capacity at an early hour
by the people of that vicinity, a large number of
them ladies. The Rev. Mr. Ferguson, of the
Methodist Church at that place, opened the meet-
ing with prayer. This was followed by an intro-
ductory speech by A.. B. Smith, of Poughkeepsie.
Gen. Lewis Wallace then addressed an earnest ap-
peal to the patriotism of the young men of the
vicinity, and was followed in a most eloquent and
impressive speech by George W. Sterling. A propo-
sition was then made to offer a bounty for each
recruit in the town of Pawling, when a few liberal
gentlemen present pledged to pay to each person
on enlisting the sum of $25 as a bounty in addi-
tion to the National and State bounties. An en-
thusiastic and well attended meeting was held at
Beekmanville on the 24th, and addressed by the
same gentlemen.

The district war committee arranged for meet-
ings to be held throughout the county as follows : —
August 7th, at Red Hook, to be addressed by Hons.
James Emott and Gilbert Dean, at Arthursburg, by
Allard Anthony and Hon. Homer A. Nelson, at
Bangall, by Messrs. A. B. Smith and O. W. Whea-
ton, at Rhinebeck, by Hon. John Thompson and
A. Wager ; August 8th, at Mabbettsville, by Hon.
James Emott and C. Wheaton, at Pleasant Valley,
by Hons. Gilbert Dean and John Thompson, at
LaFayetteville, by A. Wager and A. B. Smith, at
Clove, (D. D. Vincent's hotel,) by A. Anthony and
H. A. Nelson ; August 9th, at Gay Head, by Hons.
J. Emott and G. Dean, at Wappingers Falls, (at
Odd Fellows Hall,) by Charles Wheaton, at South
Dover, (Wheeler's hotel,) by Hon. H. A. Nelson
and A. Anthony, and at CUnton Hollow, by A. B.
Smith and A. Anthony.

August 4, 1862, the President issued a call for
300,000 militia for nine months, unless sooner dis-
charged, and a draft was ordered to take place Aug.
15, 1862, to supply any deficiency in the quota
at that time. The quota of New York under this
call was 60,000 ; and though enlistments were in-
vited to fill this call, a draft for that purpose was
ordered from the militia of the State on the 9th of

Early in August the organization of the district
regimept was nearly completed and a regimental
camp had been formed in Hudson. There the
recruits from this county were rapidly concentrat-



ing, under, the efficient efforts put forth to that end.
The Amenia Times of that period said : " Spirited
and enthusiastic meetings have been held the past
week in eastern Duchess to faciHtate enlistments
and have met with success. The patriotism of the
people has been thoroughly aroused, and in spite
of the busy season and short notice of meetings, a
full attendance was secured in every instance." In
all parts of the county the demonstrations of popu-
lar sentiments were of a similar character. Says
\>!\& Poughkeepsie Eagle of August 9th, "enlistments
are brisk and constantly becoming more so." The
town of Union Vale, one of the least populous in
the county, had at that time furnished from 60 to
75 recruits from the commencement of the war.

August 8, 1862, a large and enthusiastic war
meeting was held at Mabbettsville, John S. Thorn
presided, assisted by John Sweezy and Samuel
Thorn, vice-presidents, and George Sweet, secre-
tary. It was addressed by Hon. James Emott and
Charles Wheaton, who explained at length the
issues pending and the great importance of sus-
taining the government.

August 9, 1862, the citizens of Pine Plains and
adjacent country met at Stissing Hall. After or-
ganizing by choosing R. Peck, chairman, and C.
Pitcher, secretary, the assembly adjourned to the
open air, owing to the crowded condition of the
hall, and was addressed by Revs. J. Reynolds, Wm.
N. Sayre and Wm. Bloomer, Messrs. H. H. Morse
and Wm. R. Woodin, and Lieut. Low, from the
balcony of A. T. Jones' hotel. The addresses had
a telling eifect upon the audience, " kindling a per-
fect blaze of enthusiasm." A long series of stirring
resolutions were adopted.

August 13, 1862, a mass meeting was held at
Pine's Hall, in Poughkeepsie. At an earlier hour
than usual the stores of the city were mostly closed
that the merchants and others might attend. The
spacious hall was well filled by an appreciative and
enthusiastic audience, including a goodly number
of ladies in the gallery. Hon. James Emott
called the meeting to order and nominated the fol-
lowing officers : President, Hon. Stephen Baker ;
Vice-Presidents, Charles E. Bostwick, of Amenia'
Jeremiah Sheldon, of Beekman, John S. Wing, of
Clinton, Obed Wing, of Dover, Lawrence 'c.
Rapelji, of East FishkiU, James Mackin, of Fish-
kill, James M. Friss, of Hyde Park, Albert Emans,
of La Grange, Herrick Thome, of Milan, John
Campbell, of North East, S. A. Barnum, of Paw-

Online LibraryJames H. (James Hadden) SmithHistory of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 31 of 125)