Copyright
J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of central Pennsylvania (Volume p. 615-1231) online

. (page 1 of 131)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of central Pennsylvania (Volume p. 615-1231) → online text (page 1 of 131)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


\^eewKe Ct.)




AiHf, Lmok and TIliM ,''



1910



,^



I



/





>-K



\

/

\



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



61i



1 -



On February 19, 1884, Mr. Batcheler was
married to Hattie B. Marsh, a daughter of
Samuel Marsh, of Lock Haven. The marriage is
without issue. Both Mr. and Mrs. Batcheler^are
identified with the M. E. Church.



BOBERT A. SHAW, Esq., one of the most
successful agriculturists and prominent citi-
zens of Pine Creek township, Clinton county,
was born October 25, 1831, in \\'ayne township,
the same county, when it formed a part of Ly-
coming county.
. VThe Shaw family is of Scotch-Irish extraction,
and possesses the chief characteristics so common
to that people — thrift, industry, enterprise and en-
ergy — making them useful and valued citizens of
any community where they may chance to re-
side. Robert Shaw, our subject's grandfather,
was a farmer by occupation, and at one time
owned a farm in the vicinity of Bald Eagle, Penn.
He reared his family in Lycoming county, but
spent his last days in Venango county, Penn.
Robert M. Shaw, the father of our subject, was
born November 8, 1798, on Centre Plains, Ly-
coming (now Clinton) county, and received only
a common-school education; but being a man of
sound judgment and a close observer, he gained
a good practical knowledge of men and events.
He, too, was an agriculturist, and when a young
man began life for himself upon a farm in Wayne
township, and then removed to Pine Creek town-
ship, Clinton county, buying the Squire Hamil-
ton farm of 1 1 5 acres, upon which he made very
extensive improvements, including the erection
of a good brick residence and a substantial barn.
He also planted an orchard, and took great pride
in his farming and stock-raising, being accounted
one of the most practical farmers and reliable
business men of his community. He was first a
Whig and . later a Republican in politics, and
took quite an active part in political affairs.

On March 25, 1823, near Charlton, was cel-
ebrated the marriage of Mr. Shaw and Miss Fan-
ny Crawford, who was born at Chatham Run,
Clinton county, August 21, 1799. a daughter of
Robert Crawford, a tanner by occupation, who
was of Scotch-Irish descent. The children born
to them are as follows: Hugh, born January 9,
1824, died suddenly in Pine Creek township,
July 3, 1890; Elizabeth, born June 3, 1S27. was
married October i, 1867, to William Kmg. of
Illinois, and died May 6, 1868; Robert A., of this
sketch, is next in order of birth; Martha, born
February 22, 1836, is the wife of Jacob Bubb, of
Jersey Shore, Penn.; George C, born August
15 i8-,8 on the homestead. The father died



January 30, 1878, on the home farm, where the
mother also passed away, and the remains of
both were interred at Jersey Shore. In religious
belief they were Presbyterians.

Robert A. Shaw pursued his studies in the
public schools of Pine Creek township, under the
direction of Squire Joseph Walters, Alexander
Hamilton, Mr. Ross and Mr. Parker, who taught
in an old log school house, known as the Duncan
school. His youthful days were spent upon the
home farm, assisting in the labor of the fields,
and becoming thoroughly familiar with all the
duties which fall to the lot of the agriculturist.
At the age of twenty-three he began operating
the farm on shares, being thus employed for
three years, and then he removed to Xhe Martin
farm near Jersey Shore, in Lycoming county. In
1865 he located upon his present farm, which he
purchased from Henry Kissell, and on which he
has made extensive improvements. He bought
the Ramm farm of eighty-eight acres in 1S71,
and has also made many useful and valuable im-
provements upon that place. His present com-
fortable residence was erected in 1868 at a cost
of $3, 500. and in its construction he did much
of the work, making every door in the house,
which would do credit to a skilled workman. In
i860 he began raising tobacco, being one of the
first in the community to engage in that indu.^try,
and in the enterprise he has met with excellent
success. His present fine barn was erected in
1876 at a cost of $3,000, and all the improve-
ments stand as monuments to the thrift and in-
dustry of the owner, who is recognized as one of
the most systematic and thorough farmer.^ of
Pine Creek township.

Rev. J. G. Pearce, a Methodist Episcopal
minister, performed a marriage ceremonj' at Lock
Haven, November 10, 1853, which united the
destinies of Mr. Shaw and Miss Margaret J. Dunn,
who was born June 9, 1831, at Liberty, Dunsta-
ble township, Clinton county, a daughter of Will-
iam and Sarah (Poorman) Dunn, the former a
merchant of Liberty and a cousin of Judge Will-
iam Dunn. Mr. and Mrs. Shaw are the parents
of five children: (\) James G. , born .August 25,
1854, is a farmer of Pine Creek township. He
married Rebecca Jane Emory, and has five chil-
dren. (2) Ida B., born in September, 1S56, in
Lycoming county, is the wife of M. B. Rich, a
member of the firm of John Rich & Bros., at
Woolrich, Clinton county, and has seven chil-
dren — Jennie, Robert, Katie, John, Anabel,
Gracie and Margaret. (3) William D., born at
Charlton, March 27, 1858, is a merchant of
Wellsboro, Penn. He wedded Mary Lamb, a
niece of Judge Williams, and they have one



10



COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPEICAL RECORD.



daughter, Margery. (4) Elizabeth C, born in
Mnrch, 1861, is the wife of Dr. C. B. Schroeder,
of Lock Haven, Penn. (5) Annie M. began her
education in the public schools near her home,
later graduated at the Jersey Shore Academy,
and subsequently attended the Dickinson Semi-
nary; later graduated at the Froebel Institute,
of Washington, D. C. She is a young lady of
scholarly tastes, and has for nine years success-
fully engaged in teaching.

Our subject is an earnest advocate of the
principles of the Republican party, and on that
ticket, in 1875, was first elected justice of the
peace of Pine Creek township, a position he has
since most creditably and satisfactorily filled, his
decisions always being sustained bj^ the higher
courts. For fifteen years he served efficiently as
school director, and has also been auditor and
ta.\ collector in his township. In 1874 he was
the candidate for county commissioner on the
Greenback ticket, but as the party was in the
minority he was defeated. Mr. Shaw's influence
is great and always for good. His sympathy, his
benevolence and kindly greeting will long be re-
membered when he has passed awaj-, and he is
justly regarded as one of the leading and repre-
sentative citizens of Clinton county.



HON'. WILLIAM H. MAYER, the present
mayor of the city of Lock Haven, gives to
his administration the energetic, economical and
far-sighted management that a man of fair judg-
ment brings to the conduct of his own affairs.

Mr. Mayer was born March 17, 1833, in Mer-
cersburg, Franklin Co., Penn., and his early
education was acquired in the schools of Cham-
bersburg, Penn. From there he went to Phila-
delphia and secured employment in a hardware
store where he became thoroughly acquainted
with the details of that business. In 1855 he
engaged in general mercantile business in the
city of Lock Haven, Penn., which he conducted
till the latter part of the year 1862. In 1865 he
enlisted in the 37th P. V. I., with the rank of
sergeant major, and in March of the same year
he was appointed by President Lincoln as pay-
master in the United States navy, which position
he held until the close of the war. In 1870 he
went to Chippewa Falls, Wis. , and became inter-
ested in real-estate and lumber business, remain-
ing there six years. In 1876 he returned to Lock
Ha\en, Penn., and engaged in the general mer-
cantile business, which business he still conducts.
He has always taken a lively interest in municipal
affairs, and although he is a stanch Democrat,
while the city is largely Republican, his popular-



ity has stood the test of several elections. His
sound judgment and impartiality make him an
excellent ma3-or, and has won the support of all
classes. Socially Mr. Mayer is prominent, and
he is identified with the G. A. R., the B. P. O.
E., the K. of P. and the I. O. O. F. He is also
interested in a number of business enterprises of
a corporate nature, and is vice-president of the
Lock Haven Traction Railway Co.



PERRY WILSON McDOWELL, a venerable
__ and highly esteemed resident of Lamar
township, Clinton county, has been identified
with the agricultural interests of this section for
more than half a century, and notwithstanding
these long years of toil, care and responsibility,
he finds himself toward the beginning of his
eighty-first year robust and hearty. Always jo-
vial and merry, he is a good companion, and, his
generosity is unfailing. It is said that he never
forgets a friend or an enem)' — though it is difficult
to believe that he has any of the latter class.
Young and old prize his acquaintance, and the
children, always the keenest judges of character,
delight in his kindly greetings.

Mr. McDowell was born September 8, 1817,
in the Kishacoquillas Valley, Mifflin county,
Penn., where his ancestors were pioneers. John
McDowell, his grandfather, who was of Scotch-
Irish stock, came from the North of Ireland
about 1755, and for some time resided in the
vicinity of Carlisle, Penn. During his residence
there he paid a visit to his native land, and soon
after his return he removed to the Kishacoquillas
Valley and bought a claim of 600 acres of land,
beautifully situated about three miles from the
present site of Belleville. The former owners,
two men named Torringtine, had abandoned the
place because of their fear of the Indians, and
had escaped from the supposed danger b}' way of
the old trail across Jack's Mountain at McVey-
town. As a token by which Mr. McDowell could
identify his purchase, they told him that in the
log cabin which the}' had built near a spring on
the place, he would find buried an axe, a mat-
tock, and a bottle of whiskey, which articles as
stated were found there. John McDowell made
substantial improvements upon the tract, and the
old stone house that served as his residence still
does dut}' as a farmhouse, being kept in excellent
repair b\' its present owners. John McDowell
was in all respects an example of the hardy, fear-
less men who laid the foundations for the civili-
zation of to-day. In 1770, or earlier, he married
Miss Elizabeth Reed, of Shavers Creek, Hunt-
ingdon county, near the present town of Peters-



COMMEMORATIVE BIOQRAPmCAL RECORD.



Q>Vi



burg. Both were devout members of the Pres-
byterian Church. Mr. McDowell died in 1809
at the age of seventy-five years, and his wife in
1812 at sixty-five, their remains being interred
in a small burial plat near the old farm house.
Another member of the McDowell family who
came to America was Robert, a brother of John,
but we have no record of him after the latter's
removal from Carlisle.

John McDowell left a large estate which was
divided among his children, but as most of them
seem to have inherited his love of travel there
are few of his descendants now living in the
Valley. Of his thirteen children all but two
reached adult age: (i) Polly was scalded to
death when quite small. (2) Robert (deceased)
was a resident of Belleville, Mifflin county, Penn.
He had four sons — William, who died at Belle-
ville, unmarried; John; Robert, Jr.; and James,
who married and settled in Fayette county, Penn.
(3) William, our subject's father, is mentioned
more fully below. (4) James, who served in
the war of 181 2, resided at Long Hollow, near
the present site of Newton Hamilton, Penn. Of
his ten children, Robert and William settled in
Altoona, Penn., James and Carson in Illinois,
Jonathan and Walker remained near Newton
Hamilton, Joseph disappeared during the late
war, Mrs. Mary Brilhart located in Philadelphia,
and Mrs. Belle Norton in Illinois. (5) John
died in Kishacoquillas Valley, unmarried. (6)
Samuel, who resided near the site of Altoona,
was twice married and had four children by
each union. By the first there were Isaac,
Eliza, Lydia, and another who was killed; and
by the second there were Brown, Samuel, Sarah,
and Jennie. Samuel and Isaac removed to
Iowa, but the rest of the family remained in or
near Altoona. (7) Joseph lived and died in
Mercer county, Penn., and had one daughter
who married and probably settled in Ohio. (8)
Jonathan resided in Clearfield county, Penn.,
and had the following children— Eliza, Samuel,
Charles, Elizabeth, Bertha, and another daughter
who settled in Clearfield, James, and George,
both of whom located in Clarion, Penn. (9)
Elizabeth married Samuel McGlathery, who
owned and settled upon a part of the land now
occupied by the city of Altoona. Of their chil-
dren, Samuel, who resided at Altoona, left seven
or eight children: Allen lived in or near Altoona,
where most of his children also settled: John went
to Virginia, where he died leaving several children;
Elizabeth Reed, Mrs. Haggerty, resided near
Altoona, and the two daughters and one son who
survived her probably located in the same vicm-
ity; Isabel married George Merriam. (10) Jean



married Henry B. Taylor and resided in the
Kishacoquillas Valley, as did her two daughters,
Elizabeth Reed, who married Dr. Mitchell, and
Mary Williamson, wife of Robert Taylor. (11)
Nancy never married. (12) Sallie died in early
womanhood, unmarried. (13) Polly (2) died in
childhood.

William McDowell, our subject's father,
spent his early years at the old homestead and
later removed to the eastern end of the same
Valley, where his last days were passed, his death
occurring in 1S51 at the age of seventy-five. In
1809 he was married to Ann Aie.xander, daughter
of Maj. Thomas Alexander, of Revolutionary
fame, and seven children were born to the union;
(i) Samuel Alexander settled in Centre county,
Penn., where he died at over seventy years of
age. He married Sarah Eichy, of Union coun-
ty, Penn., and had one son, W^illiam, who in-
herited the farm near Jacksonville, married and
had six children. (2) John Reed taught school
in early manhood, and later conducted the
'■ Valley House " at Lewistown for several years,
but his remaining years were spent in farming.
He was active in political affairs, and held office
as deputy sheriff for some time, and in 1841 was
elected prothonotary of Mifflin county, which po-
sition he filled acceptably two terms. He died in
1861, aged about forty-seven, and his wife, Mar-
garet Jacobs, passed away April 19, 18S7, at the
age of sixty-eight. They had the following chil-
dren — Margaret J., Mrs. Samuel McNitt, resid-
ing near Milroy; James, a resident of York
county, Penn., who married first Helen Camp-
bell, and, after her death, her sister Dora; Wildey,
a resident of York county, who married Louisa
Bacher; William Howard, who is mentioned
more fully below; Annie. Mrs. S. F. Fry, of York
county; and John, who died in childhood. (3)
Thomas Jackson died at the age of nineteen. (4)
Perry Wilson is the subject proper of this sketch.
(5) William Elliott was a successful farmer in the
eastern end of the Kishacoquillas \'alley, where
he died in 1882. He was married late in life to
Louisa McGuire, of Luzerne county, Penn., who
survived him. They had two children — Minnie,
who died when a few months old, and a son,
Milton Spear, who was graduated from the Penn-
sylvania State College, Centre county, and after
spending some time there as a professor was em-
ployed as a chemist at the tannery in Ridgway,
Penn. (6) Sarah Ann married Thomas Brown,
now deceased, and had one daughter, Mrs. J. ^L
Bunnell, who resided two miles east of Milroy.
(8) Eliza Jane married William Kennedy, of
Kishacoquillas Valley, and after his death, John
Stroup. of Adams county, Ohio, a farmer by oc-



618



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



cupation. B\' the first marriage she had two
children — James, who is married and resides in
Adams county, Ohio, and Willa, who died in
girlhood. By the second marriage she had one
son, John, who inherited his father's farm.

William Howard McDowell, the first son of
John Reed and Margaret (Jacobs) McDowell,
was born in Lewistown, August 9, 1843, and
when eleven years old accompanied his parents
to the farm near Milroy, where he grew to man-
hood. After his father's death he removed with
his mother to York county, Penn. , and in 1862
enlisted from that county in Company G, 9th
Pennsylvania Cavalry. He took part in a num-
ber of important engagements, and was with
Sherman's army on the march to Atlanta, being
assigned to I\ilpatrick's division. In September,
1864, while out on a scouting expedition, he was
captured by guerrillas, with two of his com-
panions. One of the latter escaped but Mr.
McDowell, being wounded, was at the mercy of
his captors. After suffering imprisonment in
various places he was finally taken to Anderson-
ville, where he died in March, 1865.

Perry Wilson McDowell was educated in a
country school which was held in a log building
furnished in the old-fashioned way, with benches
around the wall. As farmers had little or no
help from machinery in those days, there was
plenty of work at all seasons of the year, and Mr.
McDowell could give but a few weeks each win-
ter to his studies. His practical training in ag-
ricultural work was not neglected, however, and
as he was a willing, ambitious boy with great
strength for one of his age, he was of much as-
sistance on the farm, being able to plow when he
was but twelve years old. Exposure, together
with the effects of a fever, impaired his hearing,
and from the age of six years he has been
troubled with varying degrees of deafness, the
disease becoming worse as time passed. In
early manhood he spent several summers work-
ing for neighboring farmers, but he made his
home with his parents until 1S39 when he went
to reside upon a small farm near Milroy 1 the first
land that he ever owned). His first work was,
when he was about thirteen years old, for John
Lapp, receiving as wages four dollars per month
one season; but the really first money he earned
was seven dollars (paid in silver fifty-cent pieces)
for
boy

On June 7, 1842, Mr. McDowell was mar-
ried in Milroy, Penn., to Miss Catherine Conley,
a native of Mifflin county, born April 5, 18 19.
Her parents, John and Mary (Duff) Conley, well-
known residents of that countv, had fifteen chil-



following a cradler



along with another



dren, of whom nine daughters and two sons lived
to adult age. Mr. McDowell and his bride be-
gan their married life on the little farm near Mil-
roy, in the spring of 1S52, but later in the same
year he purchased a farm in Marion township.
Centre county; then finding it too far from the
nearest school for his children, he removed to
Milroy, near a school, and there remained some
two years. He then bought a farm in Lamar
township, Clinton county, and remained there
until 1S57, when he disposed .of it and settled
upon the Centre county farm. In 1S71 he lo-
cated at Howard, Centre county, where he spent
eight years, and during half that period he was
occupied in running a gristmill. In 1879 he
bought his present farm near Mackeyville, a fine
estate, formerly known as the Brady farm. He
nows owns two other well-improved farms in
Marion township. Centre county, and is regarded
as one of the substantial citizens of that section.
In 1892 our subject and his wife celebrated
their golden wedding, the happy event drawing
together four generations of their descendants.
Mrs. McDowell died November 5, 1897, aged
sevent3-eight years and seven months, after a
married life of fifty-five years; her's was the first
death in the family. She had not been in good
health of late years, having suffered a paralytic
stroke in June, 1885, from the effects of which
she never recovered. She was a devout mem-
ber of the Presbyterian Church, and was held in
high esteem by a large circle of friends. The
children of this worthy couple were trained in
early life to habits of usefulness, and their par-
ents always appreciated the value of their assist-
ance, Mr. McDowell having distributed among
them about $5,000 to give each a good start in
life. A brief record of their children is as fol-
lows: (i) Anna M., born March 20, 1843, mar-
ried J. W. Blair, of Belle Centre, Ohio, and has
one child, Anna C. (2) Sarah E. , born Janu-
ary 19, 1S45, married James Allison, of Porter
township, Clinton county, and four years later
they moved to Seman, Ohio; they have three
children — Kate C. , David Mc D. , and Nettie A.,
the eldest of whom is now the wife of Dr. Mont-
gomerj', of Huntsville, Ohio, and her two chil-
dren give our subject the patriarchal honors of a
great-grandfather. (3) N. Margaret, born May
28, 1846, married Capt. S. H. Benriison, of
Marion township. Centre county, and they have
had eleven children — Perr\- Mc, Jane, Robert
H., Mary C, John, Bertha C, Guy, Emma,
Nellie E., Dean, and Helen G. , all yet living ex-
cept John. 14) Emma J., born March 17, 1854,
married Dr. J. E. Tibbins, of Beech Creek^
Penn., and they have one son — Perry McD. (5),



COMMEMORATIVE BIOOBAPEICAL RECORD.



619



Henry T. , born October 28, 1857, married Miss
Mary B. Kline, and located in Marion township,
Centre county; they have had three sons: Will-
ard K., living; and Perry W. and Eugene B.,
deceased.

Our subject has been a lifelong Democrat,
his first vote having been cast for David R.
Porter for governor. No change of policy or
principle on the part of the leaders of the party
has ever shaken his allegiance, and he has held
many a heated argument with those who were
less inclined to stand by the old organization at
all hazards. Although he has not especially
cared for official place, he has been chosen to
various township offices, including that of justice
of the peace. He is proud of the fact that he
has followed farming fifty-eight years; is a man
of much energy, and has a bright mind, has been
a great reader, and is well-informed on all sub-
jects, his advice and counsel being frequently
sought.



lENJAMIN F. BROWN. For upward of
half a century the name of Brown has been
prominently identified with the business interests
of Lock Haven and Clinton county. The gen-
tleman, whose name introduces this sketch, is of
the second generation of the name to have suc-
cessful careers in mercantile lines here.

Jacob Brown, his father, whose death on
March 13, 1S96, closed a long busy, life, remov-
ing from the community a prominent business
man, a good citizen, and one of the pioneer
merchants of this section, was born March 20,
1820, in Wurtemberg, Germany. At the age of
seventeen years he came to America. He found
his way to Lycoming county, Penn., and secured
work at Trout Run. A year later he went to
Ralston, then passed several months at Far-
randsville, Clinton county. His next move was
to come to i^ock Haven, where he served two
years in learning the carpenter's trade. After
this he went to Muncy Creek, Lycoming county
and there remained two years engaged in fart
ing and lumbering. The following three years
he worked at his trade in Philadelphia, and at
the expiration of this time he returned to Lock
Haven, and here formed a partnership with his
brother George Brown, who was then m the
mercantile business. In 1852 George Brown
withdrew from the firm, selling his interest to
James Fearon. The business was carried on
under the firm name of Jacob Brown & Co.
Shortly afterward Mr. Fearon's death caused a
change in the firm, his widow selling her interest
in the business to Mr. Brown. Later W. H.
Mayer, subsequently mayor of Lock Haven, se-



cured an interest, and the business was conducted
under the name of Brown & Mayer. At that
time the store was on Water street, opposite the
"Fallon House." In 1S57 Mr. Brown sold out
to his partner, and one year later started a gen-
eral store in a building which he erected for him-
self on Main street. In 1869 he confined his
business to a general grocery which he conduct-
ed alone until 1874, at which time he admitted
B. F. Brown (his son) and Peter Berger to a
partnership, the firm becoming Jacob Brown &
Co. Some time afterward Mr. Berger retired
from the firm, since which time the business has
been carried on under the name of Jacob Brown
& Son, the widow succeeding her husband in the
business. Jacob Brown was a thrifty German,
honest, industrious, and a good manager. These
essentials coupled with his business tact made



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of central Pennsylvania (Volume p. 615-1231) → online text (page 1 of 131)