J.M. Le Moine.

Picturesque Quebec : a sequel to Quebec past and present online

. (page 50 of 59)
Online LibraryJ.M. Le MoinePicturesque Quebec : a sequel to Quebec past and present → online text (page 50 of 59)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

wealth for our antiquaries and a great deal more practical in its bearings
than even Jonathan Oldbuck's great Essay on Castrametation. A Three Rivers
antiquarian had attempted to establish that it was Ives Cholette who had
been the sculptor of the statue in question, but our old friend (through
the church registers - and through ancient and irrefutable records) showed
it could neither be Ives Cholette, aged, in 1771, 10 years, nor his
younger brother Hyacinthe, aged then but 8 years, who had designed this
great work of art, but Cholette of another ilk. [345]

In these halycon days of old Quebec, free from municipal taxes, Fenian
scares and labor strikes, when the practical joker [346] and _mauvais
sujets_, bent on a lark, would occasionally take possession, after
night-fall, of some of the chief city thoroughfares, and organize a
masquerade, battering unmercifully with their heavy lanterns. Captain
Pinguet's _hommes de guêt_, - the night patrol - long before Lord Durham's
blue-coated "peelers" were thought of, the historic statue would disappear
sometimes for days together; and after having headed a noisy procession,
decorated with _bonnet rouge_ and one of those antique camloteen cloaks
which our forefathers used to rejoice in, it would be found in the morning
grotesquely propped up, either in the centre of the old Upper Town market,
or in the old Picote cemetery in Couillard street [347], in that fanciful
costume (a three-storied _sombrero_, with eye-glass and _dudeen_) which
rendered so _piquant_ some of the former vignettes on the Union Bank
notes. I can yet recall as one of the most stirring memories of my
childhood, the concern, nay, vexation, of Quebecers generally when the
"General" was missing on the 16th July, 1838, from his sacred niche in
Palace street, and was subsequently triumphantly replaced by the grateful
citizens, - rejuvenated, repainted, revarnished, with the best materials
Halifax could furnish, the "General" having been brought there by the
youngsters of the "Inconstant" frigate, Captain Pring, from Quebec. It
would appear the roystering middies, having sacrificed copiously to the
rosy god, after rising from a masonic dinner in the Albion Hotel, in
Palace street, had noticed the "General" by the pale moonlight, looking
very seedy, and considering that a sea voyage would set him up, had
carried him on board. The General was driven down in a calèche by Colvin
of St. Louis street - a carter - through Palace Gate, standing erect; the
sentry presenting arms, as if he were saluting the officer of the night.
He was safely introduced through a port-hole, the seaman of the watch,
shaking his head knowingly, saying - "One of our swells pretty tight, I
guess." From Halifax "General Wolfe" sailed for Bermuda - thence to
Portsmouth, at both of which places he was jauntily set up as a signboard;
a short time after he was re-shipped to Halifax, packed in a box, with his
extended arm sawn off lying by his side. Fearing, however, the anger of
the Quebec authorities, the "General" was painted afresh and returned by
the "Unicorn" steamer, "Cape Douglas," which plied between the Lower
Ports, - with the "Inconstants'" best regards to their Quebec friends, and
best wishes for the General's health and safety.

The following extract from the journal of the venerable Jas. Thompson, the
last survivor of Wolfe's army, who expired at the ripe age of 98 years - in
1830, throws light on this matter. This anecdote was reduced to writing,
and by request forwarded by him to His Excellency the Earl of Dalhousie,
through his A.D.C. and brother Col. Ramsay. "We had a loyal fellow in
Quebec, one George Hipps, a butcher, who owned that house at the corner of
Palace and John streets, still called 'Wolfe's Corner,' and as it happened
to have a niche, probably for the figure of a saint, [348] he was very
anxious to fill it up, and he thought he could have nothing better than a
statue of General Wolfe; but he did not know how to set about getting one.
At last he found out two French sculptors, who were brothers - of the name
of Cholette, and asked me if I thought I could direct them how to make a
likeness of the General in wood. I said I would, at all events, undertake
it, and accordingly the Cholettes tried to imitate several sketches I gave
them; but they made but a poor job of it after all; for the front face is
no likeness at all, and the profile is all that they could hit upon. The
body gives but a poor idea of the General, who was tall and straight as a
rush. So that after my best endeavors to describe his person, and I knew
it well, for which purpose I attended every day at their workshop which
was in that house in St. Louis street where the Misses Napier are now
(1828) residing, [349] and which is somewhat retired from the line of the
street, the shop itself being on the projecting wing - I say that we made
but a poor "General Wolfe" of it. It has been several times - the house
being only one storey high - pulled down by mischievous persons and broken,
and as often repaired by the several owners of the house; and, much to
their credit be it spoken, it still keeps its ground, and I hope it will
do so until the monument is finished. [350]

"I suppose that the original parts of the statue must be as rotten as a
pear and would be mouldered away if it was not for their being kept so
bedaubed with paint."

Note. - Officers of H.B.M. frigate "Inconstant," Capt. Pring: 1st Lieut.
Hope; Lieutenants and other officers, - Sinclair, Erskine, Curtis,
Connolly, Dunbar, McCreight, Sharpe, Stevens, Hankey, Shore, Barnard,
West, Tonge, Prevost, Amphlett, Haggard, Tottenham, Maxfield, Paget, Kerr,
Herbert, Jones, Montgomery. Mr. James was purser. L. de Tessier Prevost is
now high in command, having distinguished himself in the Indian seas,
capturing pirates: West and others are admirals, (1870).

[_See page 197_.]


Pardevant le Notaire Public en la Province du Bas Canada, résidant à St-
Denis sur la rivière et comté Richelieu, soussigné et témoins enfin
nommés, fut présent Messire Louis Payet prêtre, Curé de la paroisse de St-
Antoine au nord de la rivière Richelieu, lequel a constitué pour son
procureur spécial M. François Bellet, capitaine de bâtiment, résidant en
la ville de Québec, pour vendre pour et au nom du dit constituant et à son
plus grand avantage qu'il pourra faire, une négresse d'environ trente et
une années, appelée Rose, appartenant au dit constituant par achat devant
M. J. Pierre Gautier, notaire à Montréal, en date du mois mars 1795, dont
il s'oblige remettre l'expédition si besoin est à la première Réquisition,
pour le prix et somme que le dit procureur en trouvera du reçu donner
toute quittance valable et raisonable, approuvant d'avance comme alors,
tout ce que ce dit procureur aura fait concernant la dite vente, ce fut
ainsi fait et passé à St-Denis, étude du notaire soussigné, l'an mil sept
cent quatre-vingt seize le deux de septembre avant midi présence des Srs.
Charles Gariépy et Jean-Baptiste Gosselin au dit lieu, témoins à ce
appellé, qui ont signé avec Messire Louis Payet et notaire soussigné,
ainsi signé Charles Gariépy, Jean-Bte. Gosselin, L. Payet, Chs. Michaud
Nre. Pc. à la minute des présentes demeurée en la Garde et possession du
dit notaire soussigné.

Nre. Pc.

Par devant les notaires publics en la province du Bas Canada résidens à
Québec soussignés.

Fut présent M. Francis Bellet demeurant en sa maison, rue sous le Fort, en
cette ville, lequel en vertu de la procuration ci-dessus et précédentes
pages reconnaît et déclare avoir vendu et vendre à M. Thomas Lee du dit
Québec, la nommée Rose, négresse, dénommée et désignée en la dite
obligation, pour prix et somme de cinq cents livres de vingt sols et de la
lui délivrer incessement le dit Sieur acquéreur déclarant la connaître et
l'accepter, et a payé les dites cinq cents livres au dit Sieur vendeur en
billet de la dite somme, ordre du dit sieur Bellet, lequel acquitté, la
présente vente le sera aussi, Québec, neuvième septembre en l'office de M.
Dumas, Notaire, l'an mil sept cent quatre-vingt seize et ont signé,
lecture faite avec les dits notaires

N. Public.
Not. Pub.

[_See page_ 200.]



"At the very moment of its departure, and when the entire city was
rejoicing in the longed-for event - at the very time when the glad news was
flashing over the wires to Montreal and the West, that Nature's barrier to
the uninterrupted navigation of the St. Lawrence was so slowly floating
away - we regret to say that the ice-bridge of 1874 was making itself
memorable yesterday to Quebec in a shape more formidable than its perverse
tenacity or its injurious effects upon trade. It was rioting in a perfect
orgie of destruction, crushing man's handwork in its passage like so much
frail glass in the grasp of a giant. At 3.20 p.m., when the glad
announcement passed from mouth to mouth that the ice was moving, it began
its destructive work. The scene was at Blais Booms and the immediate
neighborhood, where the Government steamers _Napoleon III_ and _Druid_,
the Gulf Ports steamers _Georgia_, _Miramichi_ and _Hadji_ and a large
number of tug steamers and other craft belonging to the St. Lawrence Tow
Boat Company and other parties were in winter quarters and have been in
the habit of so doing for years on account of the superior facilities and
safety offered by the place. Nearly a hundred craft of all kinds,
steamers, ships, schooners, and barges, were here congregated, moored in
many instances together and extending over a line of nearly 300 yards. The
floating ice as it came down, struck the outside craft - a sailing vessel,
we believe - driving it against its neighbor, the _Georgia_, and then
hurrying both of them against the others, jamming them against each other
and against the wharves in inextricable confusion and causing a tremendous
amount of damage, if not irreparable loss. Some were stove in, filled with
water and sunk, only leaving their bows or masts above water to mark where
they had gone down, while others disappeared from view altogether.
Fortunately no lives were lost. The loss and damage to property cannot
fall far short, we believe, of a million of dollars. The following is a
summary of the accident:

Government steamer _Napoleon III_ driven against the Mariner's Chapel
wharf had her side completely stove in; full of water and almost keeled
over, very badly damaged, and will cost a heavy sum to repair. She had
steam up at the time, but could not move out. Broke her cables and lost
her anchors.

Gulf Ports steamer _Georgia_ - Hole stove in her side; hold, full of
water. Damage easily repaired.

Gulf Ports SS. _Hadji_ - Singular to say, though the boat was in the
very middle of the confused mass, it received no damage worth mentioning.

Gulf Ports SS. _Miramichi_ - very slightly damaged. Will be extricated
to-day and proceed to her wharf, to sail for below on Tuesday next.

Government steamer "Druid," - on her beam ends, slightly damaged.

Steamboat "Napoleon," - keeled over,

Steamboat "Mersey," - on her side.

Steamboat "Canada," - sunk.

Steamboat "Beaver," - sunk, completely disappeared.

Steamboat "Castor" - disappeared.

Steamboat "Rival" - badly damaged.

Steamboat "Shannon," - badly damaged.

Steamboat "Rescue," - sunk, lies under the bows of the "Miramichi."

Steamboat "Conqueror No. 1," - badly damaged.

A schooner, owned by Mr. Kennedy, of Gaspé, laden with provisions, and
which was detained here last fall, was also sunk and lies near the
"Georgia." In addition two of Mr. H. H. Hall's blocks or piers were
completely carried away by the crushing weight of the ice." - (Quebec

[_See page 317_.]


(_To the Editor of the Morning Chronicle_.)

DEAR SIR, - Would you allow me to supply in your columns additional
information on an incident relating to the siege of Quebec in 1759. By the
following documents, which come to me with every guarantee of reliability
in the writer, it would appear that the gallant General Wolfe, before
expiring on the Plains of Abraham, on the 13th of Sept, 1759, bequeathed
his pistols and sash to one of the surgeons who attended him. Dr. Elihu or
Edward Tudor was a Welshman, born in 1733. He graduated at Yale College,
1750, joined the English army in 1755, was present at the taking of
Quebec, and left the service about 1767, receiving a pension and grant of
land from the English Government. These relics are now in the possession
of Dr. Tudor's grand daughter, Mrs. Strong, at Monkton, awaiting farther

I remain, Dear Sir,

Yours, &c.

J. M. LeMoine.



MONKTON, April 26th, 1875.

J. M. LeMoine, Esq., Literary and Historical Society, Quebec.

SIR, - Please find enclosed statement of Mrs. Strong relative to the
pistols and sash of Gen. Wolfe. You will undoubtedly remember that I wrote
to you last winter, and that you answered asking for something more
authentic. Consequently I drew up a set of questions, leaving after each
question space for answer. Now I return them to you. There is no question
in the minds of people here about the facts as stated by Mrs. Strong. The
authority of the matter is as established here as that Mr. Harrower is
proprietor of Gen. Montgomery's sabre. I should be very happy to receive
one of the books that are being prepared of that era in the history of

I have the honor, sir, of being at your service, G. E. SMITH.


VERGENNES, Vt., 1875.

Dr. Elihu or Edward was descended from Owen Tudor, who came from Wales
with the Puritans, was born 1733, graduated at Yale College 1750, joined
the army 1755, was at the taking of Quebec and the Havana; about 1767; he
was discharged and returned to his native place; he received a pension
during his life, and also a grant of land from the English Government.

The above statement is made by C. W. Strong, of the above firm.


Will Mrs. Strong please answer the following questions: -

What is your maiden name? - Sarah Tudor.

What was your father's name in full and profession? - Edward Tudor,
educated at Philadelphia as Physician, Surgeon and Dentist.

What was your grandfather's name and profession? - Elihu Tudor, Physician
and Surgeon, - generally wrote it _Edward_, as he disliked the name of

When and where was he born? - Feb. 1733, Windsor, Conn.

When and where did he die? - East Windsor, Conn., 1826.

Was he Surgeon on Gen. Wolfe's staff's at Quebec in 1759? - He was.

How do you know that your grandfather Tudor attended upon Gen. Wolfe when
he was wounded on the 13th Sept., 1759, at Quebec? - I have often heard my
grand father relate the circumstances and other interesting reminiscences
of the General.

What is the history or tradition as you have it that Gen. Wolfe gave your
grandfather his pistols? - The history he (my grandfather) gave was only,
that they were given him at the death of Gen. Wolfe.

Describe them - They are rifle breech-loaders, London maker, Flint Locks,
silver mounted, with English coat of arms on butt; the sash was cut up;
Dr. Strong has a piece; it is stained.

Have you them in your possession? - My son, Dr. Edward Strong, of Crown
Point, N. Y., has them.

Have you the sash worn by Surgeon Tudor at the time the General was
killed? - The sash was three yards long, Crimson silk. It was Gen. Wolfe's
sash given to my grandfather.

What is said of stains of blood upon it from the wound that caused Wolfe's
death? - It was rent with the shot, and stained with his blood.



"In a recent issue of the _Journal des Trois Rivières_ appeared a
somewhat interesting paper on the Canadian postal system. From this paper
we learn that on the cession of this country to Great Britain a regular
mail courier was established between the cities of Montreal and Quebec.
The celebrated Benjamin Franklin was the Deputy Postmaster General for the
English colonies from 1750 to 1774. In 1776 this functionary, while giving
evidence before a committee of the British Parliament, stated that, as a
rule, the mail courier kept the route by the water highways, seldom
penetrating into the interior. From his evidence, also, we learn that the
mail communication between Quebec and Montreal was not more frequent than
once a month. For not having established intermediate post-offices between
the two towns, Franklin alleged the great distance between the settlers on
the banks of the St. Lawrence, the isolation of the Canadian villages, and
the excessive difficulty of intercommunication in his day. The fact is,
however, that Benjamin Franklin was a great enemy to Canadian prosperity,
and always looked with aversion upon the people of the newly-acquired
colony. In 1774, war having broken out between the mother-country and the
English colonies, Franklin was deprived of his office, and Mr. Hugh
Finlay, a subordinate of the great republican philosopher, was appointed
Deputy Postmaster General for Canada. Mr. Finlay had been given great
proofs of capacity under the previous _régime_, and being a man of
very high character and probity, he was armed with large discretionary
powers to put the mail system of Canada on a better footing, and to make
its operations more extended and regular. Until 1790, there were added but
two intermediate post-offices between Quebec and Montreal; in the year
following, offices were opened at Three Rivers and Berthier. Every month,
however, a mail messenger was sent by way of Halifax to England. At this
date the local mail betwixt Quebec and Halifax was bi-weekly in summer,
and once a week in winter; the local mail between Quebec and Montreal had
increased to twice a week. In 1800, Mr. Hugh Finlay was succeeded in
office by Mr. George Heriot. This gentleman, being also commissioned as
Deputy Postmaster General for New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, as well as
for the two Canadas, had to oversee the service throughout all these
provinces and to visit them from time to time. In the four first years of
his administration he opened but one new post-office in Lower Canada, and
five in the Upper Province. Matters progressed slowly enough until 1816,
when Mr. David Sutherland succeeded Mr. Heriot. In 1817 be opened six
additional offices of delivery in Lower Canada which made the total number
of offices in operation thirteen. Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island
were placed under the management of independent offices, and in that year
the mails were still expedited but weekly to New Brunswick. In 1824, Mr.
Sutherland was succeeded by Mr. Thomas Allen Stayner, and it was in this
year that New Brunswick was endowed with an independent postal department.
Mr. Stayner administered his important office for the space of twenty-
seven years, with great zeal and giving entire satisfaction to the public.
He greatly increased the number of local offices, and inaugurated many of
the reforms which have since developed into that vast and safe system of
communication with which our people are so familiar. On the 6th of April,
1851, the Canadian Mail Department was transferred from the Imperial to
Provincial control, the first Postmaster General being the Hon. John
Morris. Some idea of the progress made from 1760 to 1851, a period of
ninety years, may be obtained by contrasting the department under Benjamin
Franklin and that over which Mr. Morris was called to preside. The
courier, who made monthly journeys on horseback between the military posts
of Quebec and Montreal, and whose safe arrival at either of those then
distant cities would no doubt cause the utmost satisfaction to the King's
lieges, male and female, had been replaced by the steamboat and soon would
be by the railway; and the two primitive post offices of Canada had
expanded into a network of 601 local offices, transmitting among them
letters to the number of 2,132,000 annually. In 1861 these figures had
attained to 1775 offices, and the number of letters transmitted to
9,400,000; in addition to a weekly line of ocean mail steamers to Europe,
over 1200 miles of railway doing mail service from one end of Canada to
the other, and a magnificent network of telegraphic wire supplementing the
postal system. What the number of offices and of letters carried may have
been for the last year ending July 1867, when the postal systems of the
Dominion were again placed under one head, we have not at hand, but we may
state that during the official term of Hon. Mr. Langevin, now Secretary of
State, the revenue from this source attained almost $900,000.

In the year 1851, the system of cheap postage was tried in Canada, the
rate being reduced from an average one of fifteen cents to a uniform rate
of five cents for prepaid and seven cents for unpaid letters. In the
following year this reform resulted in doubling the number of letters
carried, with the reduction of only one-third of the previous revenue; and
in a short time the receipts not only increased to the former figure but
greatly exceeded it. Under the new system we expect this reform in the
charge for postage will be greatly extended." - (_Quebec Mercury_.)

[_See page 263._]


"_L'Ordre_ newspaper announces the completion of the monument in the
Côte des Neiges Cemetery to the memory of the victims of 1837-38. It
required many efforts and great energy to bring to a completion a work
which had unhappily encountered many difficulties. For some months,
furnished with sums collected either by a special or general subscription,
or the proceeds of concerts and pleasure excursions, the Committee applied
themselves to the work, and on Sunday they went to take possession from
Mr. T. Fahrland, architect, and Mr. L. Hughes, the constructor of the
monument. The inauguration will take place next summer.

Situated on the highest elevation of the Cemetery, this monument commands
the vast resting place of the dead. It is of octagonal shape, 55 feet in
height, the pyramid reposing on a base of 80 by 90 feet. The architecture,
stern and grand, strikes the beholder at a distance, and his admiration
will not cease as he approaches. On the four sides of the base white
marble tablets are set, having neatly engraved on them these inscriptions
(in French):

On the first stone, facing the road, we read:

To the
Political Victims
Religious Souvenir
The 92 Resolutions adopted by the Assembly of Lower Canada,
March 1st, 1834
Subsidies refused by the Assembly of Lower Canada, Feb 23rd, 1836.
Lord Gosford
Disposes of the Public Money notwithstanding the refusal to grant it.
This religious and historical monument has been erected under the auspices
of the _Institut Canadien_ in 1858.

Contractor. Architect

On the second stone:

23rd and 25th Nov., 1837.

Charles Ovide Perrault, Advocate, M.P.P.

Charles St. Germain Benjamin Bouthillier Olivier L'Escaut
François Dufaux Romain dit Mandeville Joseph Comeau
André Mandeville Moïse Pariseau Henri Chaume
Eusèbe Phaneuf Pascal Delisle Louis Dauphinais
Pierre Minet Marie Anne Martel Gabriel Lusignan
Joseph Dudevoir Amable Hébert Toussaint Paquet
Antoine Amiot J. Bte. Hébert Marc Jeannotte
J. Bte. Patenaude Toussaint Loiselle François Dubuc
Cléophas Bourgeois François Dumaine Hypolite Sénécal-Lamoureux
Pierre Emery-Coderre,
And eleven other victims not identified.

On the third stone, facing the city:

By the order of the Court Martial.
The 21st December, 1838,
Joseph Narcisse Cardinal, Notary, M. P. P.
Joseph Duquet, Student at Law.

Online LibraryJ.M. Le MoinePicturesque Quebec : a sequel to Quebec past and present → online text (page 50 of 59)