John Henry Brown.

Indian wars and pioneers of Texas online

. (page 101 of 135)
Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 101 of 135)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of New Braunfels is a native of Germany. His
fattier, Fredericis Telle, a tanner by trade, came to
New Braunfels, Texas, in 1845, by way of Galves-
ton and Indianola, and located two miles west of
the present city, where he established a farm and
reared his family. Advanced in years, he finally
retired to New Braunfels, where he died in May,
1881, at eighty-four years of age. The mother
survived until 1885, when she died also at the age
of eighty-four years. Frederick Tolle and his good
wife were consistent Christians, and members of
the Lutheran Church.

The subject of this sketch, Mr. August Tolle,
was born August 10th, 1829. He secured a good
education in his native country. Upon coming to
Texas, being seventeen years of age, he associated
himself with Dr. Theodore Koester, a brother-in-
law, who was at that time a practicing physician,



and with him opened an apothecary shop in New
Braunfels, in 1858, under the firm name of Koester
& Tolle, a connection that continued until Dr.
Koester died in 1878, since which time Mr. Tolle
has owned and conducted the business alone.
E'rederick Tolle had four sons and two daughters,
all of whom, save one, are still living: Christopher
and August, residents of New Braunfels ; Harry, a
tanner, at San Antonio ; Frederick (deceased in
1875) ; Augusta, now Mrs. Herman Schimmelpfen-
ning, of San Antonio, and Mrs. Theodore Koester,
of Dallas.

He married, in 1861, Miss Caroline Messer, a
daughter of Michel Messer, an oflBcer of the
German army, and has five children: Edith (now
Mrs. George Stark, of Bastrop) ; Amelia (now
Mrs. Otto SchoU, of New Braunfels) ; Theodore
(married to Miss Ella Henne, of New Braunfels) ;
Clara and Alfred.



SIMON FEST, SR.



SAN ANTONIO,



A native of Alsace, France, born October 26th,
1823, was a son of Antone Fest and the youngest
of eight cliildren. Three of his brothers served in
the French army : Antone, Louis and Lawrence,
the latter dying in the French service in Africa.
Simon was reared in his native place to the age
of twenty, left Alsace in October, 1846, and
went to Antwerp, from which port he sailed for
Galveston, Texas, in company with several col-
onists bound for different parts of the State.
From Galveston he went to Indianola and from
thence by ox-teams to Castroville, which he
reached after a three weeks' journey, landing there
in February, 1847. He remained in Castroville
until the August following when, on account of
scarcity of work there, he went to San Antonio.
There he worked two months for the government
and then went to work for John Fries, a contractor
and builder. After earning money enough to buy
a yoke of oxen and a wagon, he went to the head



of the San Antonio river and spent the year of
1851 farming. In 1852 he moved to Atascosa
County and engaged in stock-raising, remaining
there until the close of the war between the States,
after which he returned to San Antonio and on
December 26lh, 1865, purchased and settled on a
tract of land on South Flores street, one and one-
fourth miles from Main Plaza, where he engaged
in gardening and the dairy business and whe°e°he
has since lived and followed these pursuits up to
1881. He has for a number of years lived at ease,
engaged in no active pursuit. His property has
become very valuable and he is now reckoned as one
of the large tax -payers of that portion of the city.
He married Mary Bil, a native of Alsace, France,
October 16th, 1823, just prior to sailing for Texas.
She was a daughter of Michael Bil, who accom-
panied his daughter and son-in-law to this State
and settled in Dennis colony. Of this union were
born seven children, six of whom reached years of



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



569



maturity, viz.: Simon Fest, Jr.j who died in San
Antonio, in 1893 ; Caroline, who married Fred
Miller and died in Elkho, Nevada ; Mary, who mar-
ried Henry Karm and resides in San Francisco,
California; Henry, now living in San Antonio,
Texas ; Edward, who died at the age of twenty-
three, and Louisa, who was married to Fred Kerbel
and died in 1886.



October 14th, 1886, Mr. Fest's wife died and in
1889 he married Mary Karm, then of San Antonio,
Texas, but a native of Alsace, France. After his
removal to Texas, Mr. Fest brought his mother and
two sisters from the old country, and his mother
died in San Antonio as did also his brother
Louis, who came over and settled in that city in
1852.



EDWARD EBELING,



ROUND MOUNTAIN,



An old settler of Blanco County, was born in
Hanover, Prussia, April 2, 1828, and was reared in
his native country and resided there till he was
thirt}' years old. Was brought up as an agricul-
turist and was superintendent of a large plantation
in the province of Hanover previous to his coming
to his country. He came to Texas in 1858 in com-
pany with Otto Markensen, one of his countrymen
who had been engaged for some years previous to
that lime in bringing out immigrants to this coun-
try. Made his first stop in Austin County, where he
secured employment as a farm hand at $7 per
month. Worked a year at this and then in
partnership with Markensen rented a farm for a
year.

In 1860 Mr. Ebeling settled in Blanco County
near the Burnet line, where he purchased a small
place and engaged in the sheep business. Was
successful at this and as his means continued to
accumulate he invested in more lands and sheep.
Prospered from year to year -until he is now one of



the wealthiest, probably the wealthiest man in
Blanco County. He owns a ranch of 14,000 acres,
well stocked with cattle (went out of the sheep
business before the "Dump") and has money
besides. Is a stockholder in the First National
Bank at Marble Falls and was chiefly instrumental
in setting that enterprise on foot. Has given his
time and attention wholly to his own affairs which,
with his industry and good business ability, accounts
for his success. Was in the irregular sort of
frontier service necessitated by the condition of
the country from 1860 to 1868, helping to run
down pillaging bands of Indians, but was never
under arms by rtgular enlistment nor has he ever
occupied any official position.

Has been twice married and has raised a family
of six sons and three daughters to each of whom he
has given proper educational advantages. These
are: Frank, Olto, Rudolph; Clara, now Mrs. Wade
Bader; Max; Hedwig, now Mrs. Herman Gisseke ;
Edmund, Louis, and Bartie.



JOSEPH HARLAN,

ROBERTSON COUNTY.



Joseph Harlan, deceased, one of the pioneer
settlers of Robertson County, was born in Laurens
District^ S. C, in 1797, and was a son of Aaron
and Elizabeth Harlan, natives of North Carolina,
who settled in South Carolina a few years after the
American Revolution. Aaron Harlan took part in



the Colonial struggle for independence as a member
of Marion's command. Joseph Harlan, when about
sixteen years old, ran off and joined the army at
Charleston, S. C, for the War of 1812.

Joseph Harlan was reared in Lauren's District,
S. C, where he married Delilah Burke, June 14,



570



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



1825, also born in the district, and resided until his
removal to Texas. He came to Texas first in the
early spring of 1836 on a tour of inspection,
accompanied by a negro man and woman, making
a journey overland with a team and wagon. Reach-
ing Nacogdoches, he found the country in a great
state of excitement, rumors flying in every direction
of the approach of the Mexican army under Santa
Anna. He left his servants and team with a
younger brother, Isaiah (who had come to the
country a short time before, and was then stopping
at Nacogdoches) and enlisted in the patriot cause-
He reached Houston's army a few days after the
battle of San Jacinto, and remained at the front
until the following July, when, seeing but little
prospect of further trouble with the Mexicans and
being desirous of going back for his family, he pro-
cured a substitute to take his place in the ranks
and returned to South Carolina. Settling up his
affairs there, he moved to Texas with his family and
possessions in the winter of the following year,
reaching Old Wheelock, in Robertson County, on
the 14th of February, 1837. In November of the
same year he took a head-right between the Big
and Little Brazos rivers, about five miles south of
the presqnt town of Calvert, and there settled. All
that section of the country was then very sparsely
inhabited , his nearest and only neighbors for miles
being John D. Smith, Thomas and Jesse Webb, and
an old bachelor named Harden. The same winter,
however, J. R. Robertson, brother of Maj. Sterling
C. Robertson, the founder of the colony, brought



out some negroes and a number of young white
men and made a settlement in the same locality,
and others arrived and settled to the south and
east shortly thereafter. A few settlers also ventured
north into what is now Falls County about this titne,
but were subsequently driven back, and some of
them then killed by the Indians. Mr. Harlan
opened a farm where he settled, and divided his
time during the succeeding years, until his death,
between the labors of opening up a plantation in
the wilderness and keeping out marauding bands of
Indians who continued to harass the frontier until
after annexation. He died at his home in 1844, in
the prime of life, being in his forty-seventh year.
His wife, who accompanied him to Texas, survived
him many years, dying in 1884 in the eightieth year
of her life. He had been twice married and raised
a family of seven children : two, a son and daugh-
ter (William and Jane), by his first marriage^ and
five, three sons and three daughters (Martha, Eli-
phalet, Alpheus, Isaiah, Mary and Sarah) by his
last. The eldest of these, William, died in 1843,
at about the time of attaining his majority. Jane
is the wife of L. A. Stroud and now resides in
Limestone County, where she and her husband were
among the first settlers. Eliphalet resides at Cal-
vert, in Robertson County, and Alpheus at Port
Sullivan, in Milam County. Isaiah was killed at
New Hope Church, Ga., during the late war, while
a member of Hood's Brigade, and Mary and Sarab
were married, the former to John Patrick and the
latter to W. T. Stephens, and are both now deceased.



E. HARLAN,



CALVERT,



An old and esteemed settler of Robertson County,
residing at Calvert, son of Joseph and Delilah Har-
lan (mention of whom will be found elsewhere in
this work), is a native of Laurens District, S. C,
where he was born January 1, 1829. He was in
his ninth year when his parents came to Texas in
1837 and settled in the Brazos bottom, five miles
from where he now lives. He has resided in this
immediate locality for the past fifty-eight years.
Mr. Harlan is probably the oldest settler living in
the western part of Robertson County, and with
two or three exceptions, the oldest in the county.
That the great length of his residence has not be-



come better known, is due to the fact that he has-
always led a very quiet life and has concerned him-
self about very few things, except his own personal
affairs. He is a large planter, owning two large
plantations and having in cultivation between 1 ,500
and 1,600 acres, which, with his other interests,
occupy his time and attention to the exclusion of
other pursuits and those diversions (including poli-
tics) in which most men indulge themselves. He
has never held public office, except some local posi-
tions, such as every good citizen is expected to
take whencalled on to. do so by his fellow-citizens.
During the late war he helped procure supplies-



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



571



for the soldiers at the front, and in this way lent
the cause of the Confederacy substantial assistance.
Mr. Harlan, on the 30th of May, 1854, married
Miss Bettie Jeffries, a daughter of James and
Rebecca Jeffries, who emigrated from Kentucky to
Texas and settled at Cameron, Milam County, in
1852. Mrs. Harlan was born in Glasgow, Ky., and
was a young lady when her parents came to this
State. Her mother died at Cameron in 1863 and
her father at Port Sullivan, Milam County, in 1871.



Mr. and Mrs. Harlan have had born to them two
daughters: Ella, who was married to Dr. Henry
Trollinger and is now deceased, and Maud, married
to John A. Green, Jr., an attorney at law, residing
at San Antonio, Texas. The religious connection
of Mr. Harlan's family is with the Baptist Church.
His wife's people belonged to the Church of the
Disciples, in which she has for many years held a
membership.



ALBERT KEIDEL,



FREDERICKSBURG,



Is known throughout the section of Texas in which
he lives as an able and successful physician. His
father, William Keidel, M. D., came from Hilde-
sheim, Hanover, to New Braunfels, Texas, via Gal-
veston, in 1845, and soon after located in Freder-
icksburg, where he engaged in the practice of his
profession. He was born at Hildesheim ; educated
at Goetingen ; married, in Fredericksburg, Mrs.
Albert! ne Kramer, a daughter of an early Texas
pioneer from Hanover ; and died of typhoid pneu-
monia in 1870, at Fredericksburg in this State.
Only one child (the subject of this notice) was born



of the marriage, the mother dying a few days after
giving birth to her child. Dr. Albert Keidel was
born in Fredericksburg, Texas, July 1, 1852 ; re-
ceived a good literary education in the Hildesheim
High Schools and perfected his medical studies at
the University at Goetingen in 1874-78. He was
married, in 1878, at Galveston, Texas, to Miss
Matilda Eisfeld, of Goetingen, Germany, and
immediately located in Fredericksburg, where they
have since lived and he has built up an extensive
and lucrative medical practice. They have four
children: Victor, Felix, Curt and Werner.



CHARLES SAXON,

ORANGE.



Farmer and stock-raiser. Born November 17,
1823, in Hinds County, Miss. His father, C.
H. Saxon, was one of Napoleon Bonaparte's
soldiers. His mother, Mary (Holmes) Saxon, was
born in South Carolina. Educated himself by
the old fire-place at the family home after
working on the farm during the day. Came
to Texas alone in December, 1842, and located in
Jasper County, where he remained until 1848, then
went to Brownsville on the Eio Grande ; lived there
two years and then settled at Orange, Texas, where
he has since resided. He was engaged for twenty
years in the lumber business in this State and then



embarked in farming and stock-raising, in which he
has been eminently successful, having acquired
large property interests. Enlisted in Company B. ,
Fourth Regiment, Confederate army, in 1861, and
served in Texas, New Mexico and Louisiana, par-
. ticipating in many skirmishes and important battles,
among others in those of Mansfield and Pleasant
Hill and Yellow Bayou in Louisiana, which prac-
tically put an end to Banks' raid up Red river.
He is a charter member of Madison Lodge No.
126, and Orange Chapter, No. 78, A. F. and A. M.,
and also a member of the Knights of Labor and
Farmer's Alliance Associations.



572



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



He has been a Royal Arch Mason since 1858.
Married three times. First in 1854 to Miss Delano,
of Orange. Next to Miss Sue Swaingain, of
Orange, in 1861, and third to Miss Elizabeth
Cooper, of Orange, November 20, 1878. Has four
children born to him, three of whom are now living,
one son and two daughters, viz. : Mary E. Saxon,
now wife of Thomas Andrews, of Orange ; C. H.



Saxon, who is now living at the family home, and
is a farmer and stock-raiser, and Abi Saxon, now
wife of Joseph Cooper, a farmer and stock-raiser of
Orange.

Mr. Saxon is as supple as many young men to-
day and, at his ripe old age, is in the enjoy-
ment of all his faculties. He is much esteemed in
the community in which he lives.



CHARLES SCHWOPE,



BOERNE.



One of Kendall County's prosperous farmers, was
born in Germany, June 27, 1851, and came to
Texas in 1857 with his parents (Mr. and Mrs. Chas.
Schwope) and Annie, Helen, Gottlieb, Julia, and
Louise, the other children constituting the family.

The father was born in Germany, April 9, 1816,
and died at Boerne, Texas, in 1889, at seventy-
three years of age. The mother was born in Ger-
many, November 19, 1824, and died at Boerne, in
1 884, at sixty years of age.

The family first located at Comfort but later on a
farm near Boerne in the same count3', where the sub-
ject of this notice grew to manhood. December 1,
1874, Mr. Chas. Schwope, Jr. , married Miss Matilda,
daughter of Chas. Adams, who came from Germany



and located two miles from Boerne and engaged in
farming. He came to this country single ; married,
and in 1879 died, aged forty-seven years. Mrs.
Adams died in 1887 when forty-seven years of age.
They left six children, viz. : William, who lives near
Boerne ; Matilda, who is the wife of the subject of
this sketch; Louise, now Mrs. Charles Eanselben,
of Fredericksburg; Anna, now Mrs. Helman
Ransloben, of Fredericksburg; Freda, now Mrs.
Christian Schader, of Boerne, and Hugo, a citizen
of Boerne.

Mrs. Schwope was born April 18, 1859. Mr. and
Mrs. Schwope have eight children ; viz. : Adolf,
Charles, Bertha, Julia, Freda, William, Hilmar and
Fritz.



J. D. SANER,

BOERNE.



Judge J. D. Saner was born in Davidson
County, N. C, March 28, 1822, moved to Tenne-
pec in 1832, with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jacob
Saner, and came to Texas with them and their
other son, T. A. Saner, in 1849 ; located in Upshur '
County, and moved thence to San Marcos, Hays
County, and thence to Boerne in 1853, and
engaged in farming. Jacob Saner was a hatter,
and worked at his trade until he came to Texas.
His wife, whose maiden name was Miss Mary
Donthitt, was born near Salem, N. C. Jacob
Saner died in 1873, at eighty-four years of age.



1871, at eighty-two years of



and his wife
age.

Judge J. D. Saner, subject of this notice, located
near Boerne, in Kendall County, upon emigrating
to Texas ; rented land near that place and engaged
in farming, and, later, purchased an ox-team and
followed freighting between Boerne and San
Antonio. In 1856 he was elected Constable of the
Boerne precinct of Comal' County; 1857 was
elected County and District Clerk of Bandera
County; filled the latter position from 1858 to
1865, and then returned to Boerne, where he was



INDIAN WABS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



57S



elected County Judge of Kendall County for four
successive terms. He was followed by a succes-
sor for two terms, and then again elected to the
office in 1888, and filled it until 1890. In 1892
he was appointed Justice of the Peace, and served
in that capacity for two years.

In April, 1894, he was appointed Postmaster at
Boerne, and now (1895) holds that position. He
was married in 1849 to Miss Elizabeth Maness.
She died in 1863, leaving four children: James M.,



a Deputy Sheriff of Kendall County for ten years
past; Rosilla, now Mrs. Judge W. K. Jones, of
Del Rio; John J., a school teacher of Blanco,
Texas, and Thomas A., deceased. Judge Saner
married, in 1873, Mrs, Sarah Davis, widow of the
late James Davis. Her maiden name was Miss
Sarah Butler; she died in 1888. One child, Lizzie
M., was born of this union. Judge Saner owns
the old family homestead established by his parents
on their settlement in the town of Boerne, 1853.



M. S. MUNSON,

BRAZORIA COUNTY.



It is to be doubted whether there is another man
in the State who has lived in Texas anything like
so long as the subject of this memoir. Col. M. S.
Munson, of Brazoria County. He was born near
Liberty, Liberty County, in this State, at his par-
ents' home on the banks of the Trinity river, April
24th, 1825. His father, Henry "W. Munson, a
Mississippian by birth and a planter by occupation,
died in 1833 and is buried at Peach Point, on Gulf
Prairie. His mother, whose maiden name was Ann
B. Pierce, was born in Georgia. After the death
of her husband she, in about the year 1835, mar-
ried, at Gulf Prairie, James P. Caldwell, of Ken-
tucky, and moved to near San Marcos, where she
died a number of years thereafter.

M. S. Munson took a primary course at Hopkins-
ville, Ky., and then went to Rutersville, Fayette
County, Texas, where, as he says, he did little
except hunt Indians on the frontier for two or three
years. The capture of San Antonio by the Mexi-
can General, Adrian Woll, in 1842, was followed by
his defeat at the battle of Salado and retreat from
the country, and the subsequent organization of
what is known as the Somervell expedition, designed
for a descent into Mexico for the purpose of
making reprisals. In this expedition the sub-
ject of this notice participated. The command
marched into and took possession of Laredo
without the necessity of a gun being fired, camped
at a point three miles below town and then
moved six or seven miles and camped at a
water-holfe. The remaining five hundred bore down
the country until they came to the mouth of the
Salado river, opposite and six miles from Guerrero.
This was on the 14th of December, 1842, a clear



but cold day. A crossing was speedily effected by
means of flat-boats found there. Gen. Canales,
with seven hundred rancheros, appeared on the
neighboring hills t)ut manifested no disposition to
fight. The command camped that night in an
abandoned Carrizzo village. The Alcalde of Guer-
rero, accompanied by a Frenchman who spoke En-
glish, appeared in camp and tendered the surrender
of the town, but begged that the Texians would
camp outside its limits, where he would furnish
food, blankets, shoes and other things for which the
troops were suffering. To all this Gen. Somervell
agreed, and during the afternoon of the 15th moved
up and camped on a hill-side, near the town, per-
fectly commanded by surrounding hills. During
the day a scanty supply of flour, a few refuse old
blankets and a dozen or two pairs of shoes were
sent to camp. Late in the day they were counter-
marched and recrossed the river into Texas. The
17th and 18th were spent in this position, sufficient
catt'le being found to furnish meat for all. On the
succeeding morning, December 19th, an order was
read directing all to prepare for a return home.
Three hundred men made their way down the river,
their horses being driven down overland ; subse-
quently penetrated into Mexico, engaged in the fight
at Mier, surrendered at last as prisoners of war to the
treacherous Mexicans and were thrown into prisons.
Their subsequent fate is well known to all readers
of Texian history and need not be recounted here.
The other two hundred (among the number
the subject of this notice) marched toward San
Antonio with Somervell. Capt. Flaco, the gallant
Lipan chief, an old deaf-mute of his tribe, the other
Lipans, Rivas, a Mexican companion, and an Apache,



574



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



Luis, who had co-operated with the Texians, having
confiscated a herd of Mexican horses, had already
started in that direction. Somervell and his com-
panions had great difficulty in making their way
through the chaparral and consumed a number of
days in reaching the Nueces river. They found
that stream much swollen, but crossed it on the
morning of January 1st, 1843. Many of the horses
stuck in the bog and died from excessive cold dur-
ing the night. Some of the party who had gone on
ahead reached San Antonio and sent back beeves
and other supplies to their companions who were in
a well-nigh starving condition. The main body
then proceeded to San Antonio, from whence the
men dispersed for their respective homes. A
number of horses were left behind on the march
and some of the men made a contract with Capt.
Flaco for him to ge back over the road and gather
up these animals and keep them until they were
able to be driven into San Antonio, promising to
pay him liberally for his trouble. After Somer-
vell's command arrived at San Antonio and were
encamped in the vicinity, Flaco and the mute were
basely murdered by Rivas and the Mexican, who
drove the horses into Eastern Texas and Louisiana
and sold them. The act caused a thrill of horror
throughout the country, but the confusion of the
times prevented pursuit. Flaco and the Lipans
had always been friendly to the whites. They sup-
posed the murder to have been committed by some
of Somervell's men, retreated into Mexico, became
the implacable enemies of their former allies and
subsequently committed many killings and depre-
dations on the Western frontier.

After returning from the Somervell expedition.
Col. Munson went to La Grange College, North



Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 101 of 135)