John Henry Brown.

Indian wars and pioneers of Texas online

. (page 103 of 135)
Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 103 of 135)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

and Mexico.

Mr. San Miguel's stock business prospered, and
in the spring of 1863 he located lands and opened
one of the largest stock ranches, at that time, in
his section of the State. This was situated about
fifteen miles above Eagle Pass on the Bruckett
road. Indians at that time were roaming at large
in that portion of Texas and were'troublesome and
sometimes hostile; so much so, that it was difficult
to find men who eared to risk their lives in herding
stock. For their retreat and better security Mr.
San Miguel built a rock fort on the ranch, which
afforded them protection and answered the purpose,
also, of a ranch house. This structure still (1896)
stands. It not only served the purpose for which
it was built but was also utilized, or visited at
times, by the United States troops^ during the late

war between the States. When the war broke out
Mr. San Miguel allied himself with the cause of
the new Confederate States and served as an en-
listed soldier in his own locality.

In 1855 Mr. San Miguel married, at Eagle Pass,
Miss Rita Alderate, a daughter of Miguel Alderate,
an esteemed citizen of Eagle Pass.- She was born
at Santa Rosa, in the State of Coahuila, Mexico,
January 8th, 1842, and still survives in the prime
of vigorous womanhood. She was a most faithful
and dutiful wife, and is the mother of six children,
all living at Eagle Pass. Mr. San Miguel was yet a
poor man when they were married, having only an
ox and a flint-lock musket. The latter he traded
for another ox, and bought a cart and ran in debt
for another ox. His success in -life is in a great
measure due to the support, encouragement and
fortitude of his estimable wife. Mr. San Miguel
met a sad and untimely death at the hands of a
murderous Mexican employee who, for some imag-
inary wrong, laid in ambush and shot him dead, on
the Brackett road, about five miles north of Eagle
Pass, while on his way home from his ranch, Sep-
tember 8th, 1863. He owned at the time of his
death 3,000 head of cattle, about 600 being work-
oxen. He also owned 9,000 head of sheep, and
horses enough to handle the extensive business of
his ranch. Mrs. San Miguel was made administra-
trix of the estate, and the admirable manner in which
she managed its affairs shows her to be a woman of
great executive ability. Refugio San Miguel was
essentially a self-made man. He cared nothing for
public affairs and devoted all of his time and ener-
gies to his business. He was a kind and consider-
ate husband and father and was always loyal to his
friends. He was a'man of the strictest integrity
and had the full confidence and esteem of all who
knew him. The children of Mr. and Mrs. San
Miguel live at Eagle Pass and are, in order of their
respective births : Jesua, now Mrs. Francis Garza ;
Trinidad, who married Angeleta Diaz; Martha, now
Mrs. Miguel Falcon; Refugio, now Mrs. Jesus






Gelan ; Nicholas, now Mrs. Trinidad Herrera ; and
Miguel, who married Miss Refugio Galan. Trini-
dad San Miguel is the oldest son and the leading
business man of Eagle Pass. He has inherited the
excellent business, moral and social traits of his
father. He was born August 5th, 1859, and was a
lad when his father died ; but, being matured in
mind for one of his years, he soon relieved his
mother of many of the cares and burdens of busi-
ness and also became practically the head of the
family. He received a good business education at
San Antonio and has put it to a most satisfactory
use. He took charge of the ranch and stock inter-
ests when a youth and conducted the business suc-
cessfully. He now, with a younger brother as
partner, owns a fine stock ranch near Eagle Pass
upon which they range 2,500 head of cattle, and
Mr. San Miguel himself has paying wine rooms,
of the best class and finest equipped, in Eagle Pass,
Texas, and Porfirio Diaz, Mexico. He has held the

oflSce of State Stock Inspector at Eagle Pass for a
number of j'ears. He was United States Inspector
of Customs at Eagle Pass during the presidential
term of Benjamin Harrison, and performed the
duties of the office with credit to himself and the
entire satisfaction of the government authorities.
Mr. San Miguel also served four years on the
Board of School Trustees of this city and declined
thereafter re-election.

He is a cool, conservative and valuable citizen and
successful business man. He is popular with the
public, and has the bearing and address of a courtly
and affable man of affairs. Refugio San Miguel
died without leaving a picture and the publishers are
therefore pleased to present an engraving of Trini-
dad San Miguel, as representing the family. He
is said to bear a strong resemblance to his father ;
has inherited his talents and is one of the leading
citizens of the section of the State in which he



The subject of this sketch was born in County
Down, Ireland, in 1830, of Huguenot stock, his
ancestors having fled from France during the per-
secutions of 1685 and settled, with many other emi-
gres, in the province of Ulster, between Newry and
Belfast, where they laid the foundations of the flax
and linen industry for which that section of the
country became so famous.

Varying fortunes attended the exiles in their new
home, and in the early part of this century they had
become so identified with the native race that little
except their names remained to show the country
of their origin, and La Belle France was more a
tradition than a remembrance. Yet the spirit of
liberty remained and the old yearning of the French
Covenantors for freedom of thought and speech and
conscience was strong in their Irish descendants.
In 1838 Stewart DaJzell with his family emigrated
from their home in the shadow of the Mourne
mountains to the United States, and settled near
Pittsburg, Pa. After receiving a common school
education there, Robert Dalzell, the fifth son,
pushed further west in search of fortune, and the
latter part of 1847 found him in St. Louis, Mo.
The Mexican War was then in progress and he, a

lad of seventeen, with many other adventurous
spirits, volunteered for service on the Rio Grande.
The war coming to a sudden termination, he entered
the transport service on the river, and continued
in government employment as pilot, mate and cap-
tain of steamboats until 1852, when he was offered
a position on the steamers of M. Kenedy and Richard
King, who afterwards became the " cattle kings "
of West Texas. In 1861, he won and wedded the
accomplished stepdaughter of the senior partner.
Miss Louisa C. Vidal, and two sons and six charm-
ing daughters have blessed the happy union, of
whom five children survive: During the war
between the States Capt. Dalzall and the late
Joseph Cooper, as partners, operated and owned
steamboats and lighters on the Rio Grande, upon
their own account, with great success; and in 1866,
when the old firm of M. Kenedy & Co. was reorgan-
ized as King, Kenedy & Co., with a capital of
1250,000.00, Richard King owned one-quarter, M.
Kenedy one-quarter, and Dalzell and Cooper one-
quarter of the concern, the remaining fourth being
divided among the principal merchants of Browns-
ville, Texas, and Matamoros, Mexico. Capt. M.
Kenedy, who was general manager of the new con-



cern, turned his attention to stock-raising early in
1867, and then relinquished the management to his
son-in-law, Capt. Eobert Dalzell, who continued to
conduct its vast interests until the dissolution of
the company in 1874. Shortly after, Capt. Dalzell
practically retired from active business and settled
down to enjoy the abundant fruits of an upright,
industrious and successful career.

Few men are better known on the lower Rio

Grande, none are more respected or beloved.
Open-handed, just and generous, no worthy object
ever appealed to his charity in vain ; active in every
movement for the improvement of his section,
trusted, popular and influential, but seeking no
oflSce of emolument, he pursues the even tenor of
his way, a model citizen, husband and father, and
recognized by all as the ideal type of the courteous
and perfect gentleman.



Samuel E. Watson, of Clarksville, one of the
wealthiest and best known planters in Bed River
County, Texas, was born on the 21st of June, 1847,
attended a private school at New Orleans, eon-
ducted by C. M. Saunders, a graduate of Harvard
College ; took the Harvard course, and completed
his education by graduating from the High School
of Nashville, Tenn., and attendance at Sycamore
Intitute, while that institution was under the presi-
dency of Prof. Charles D. Lawrence. After
returning home from school he, in 1867, at the
request of his father, proceeded to Red River
County, Texas, where he assumed charge of his
father's plantation, one of the largest in the State.
He has lived upon this property. Pecan Point,
almost continuously since that time.

His parents were Matthew and Rebecca (AUi-
bone) Watson, the former a native of Rhode
Island and the latter of Chillicothe, Ohio. His
mother's nephew, Samuel Austin AUibone, is the
well-known compiler and publisher of the "Dic-
tionary of Authors," a work upon which he and
his wife were engaged for twenty years. His father's
brother, Samuel Watson, was one of the trustees
of the Peabody fund in Tennessee, president of the
Old State Bank of Tennessee, and is now deceased.
Mrs. Rebecca Watson was a niece of Susan AUi-
bone, of Philadelphia, one of the distinguished
women of that city. A memoir of her life has
been published and widely circulated.

Mr. Matthew Watson about the year 1823 pur-
chased a stock of $20,000 worth of goods and
moved to Nashville and a few years afterwards, in
1825, married Miss Rebecca Allibone. Their mar-
ried life continued for fifty years, Mr. Watson
dying in 1884 and his wife in 1886. Both are buried

at Mt. Olivet, near Nashville. They left two
children: Mrs. Jennie H. LaPice, of St. James
Parish, La., and S. E. Watson, the subject of this
notice. Mr. Matthew Watson was engaged in the
dry goods business in Nashville, in which he con-
tinued for about ten years. He then helped
organize the Planters Bank of Nashville. Later he
drew $30,000 in a lottery, which fixed him for life.

Just before the Federal troops captured Nashville,
he moved with his family to Lauderdale, in St.
James Parish, La., a fine plantation owned by bim.

A paternal uncle of our subject served during
part of the war as a soldier in the Twenty-first
Texas Cavalry, commanded by the late lamented
veteran editor, Col. Charles DeMorse, of Clarksville,
and died at Clarksville from an illness brought on
by exposure in the army.

Samuel E. Watson was married to Miss Maggie
Latimer Bagby, daughter of Mr. George Bagby, of
Red River County. They have five children:
Matthew, Jennie, Harry, Samuel, and Maggie.

Mr. Bagby was a paymaster in the Confederate
army and in 1863 went through the Indian Terri-
tory to pay off the soldiers in Arkansas. Return-
ing he was ambushed and assassinated by Indians.
A party of Confederate soldiers, who greatly loved
him, quietly made their way into the Territory and
captured his murderers and took them to Clarks-
ville, where the citizens hanged them to a tree near
the town.

Mr. Watson lost his wife January 11, 1886. She
is buried in the cemetery at Clarksville. She was
a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church
and a devout, loving and lovable Christian woman.
She was related to Governor Arthur P. Bagby, one
of the early governors of Georgia.



July 29, 1895, Governor Culberson appointed
Mr. Watson one of the delegates selected by him
to represent the State of Texas at the Farmers'
National Congress, held at Atlanta, Ga., October
12-15 of that year. Mr. "Watson was one of the
commissioners to the World's Fair appointed by
the County Judge of Red River County, and was
also a delegate to the meeting held at Fort Worth
for the purpose of organizing a committee to which
was intrusted the duty of seeing that Texas was
properly represented at the Fair. Mr. Watson and
Capt. A. P. Corley were in charge of the Red
River County exhibit at the Dallas State Fair.

The exhibit contained numerous interesting relics

of mound builders and specimens of curious woods
collected by Mr. Watson on his plantation ; also a
bale of cotton of his, which was awarded the State

He is a member of the Episcopal Church and a
representative farmer and citizen. An uncle of his,
Thomas Washington, of Nashville, Tenn., and his
father were interested in the "Tennessee Colony "
which was established in Texas about the year 18 —
and which has since grown and prospered. Will-
iam T. Watson, a cousin of the subject of this
notice, is Surveyor- General of the State of Wash-
ington, having been appointed to that office by
President Cleveland.



A venerable and highly esteemed citizen of Gillespie
County, lives on the Kerville road, about seven
miles out from Fredericksburg. He came with his
father and two brothers to Texas in 1846, under
the auspices of the German Emigration Company.
He was born in the Rhine Province of Prussia,
October 16th, 1831. His brothers, Nicliolas and
Henry P., now own farms in Gillespie County ad-
joining his. The father, who also bore the name
of Jacob, followed farming until the time of his
death, which occurred at New Braunfels in 1847.
After his death the family moved to Fredericksburg

and soon thereafter out on the Perdenales and com-
menced the development of their future home.
The mother died August 7th, 1878, aged seventy-
six years.

Mr. J. Jacob Weber, subject of this notice,
married Miss Matilda Schlandt, in 1853. Her
father, a pioneer settler, came to Texas in 1845
from Nassau, Germany, where she was born. Mr.
and Mrs, Weber have nine children and thirty-seven
grandchildren living.

Mr. Weber is one of the most substantial and
prosperous citizens of Gillespie County.



Capt. W. R. Miller, a well-known citizen and
financier of Jacksonvile, Texas, was born in Jeffer-
son County, Ala., November 27, 1825, and re-
ceived a good academic education in that State and
completed his studies by a course at Cumberland
University, Lebanon, Tenn.

His parents were Samuel and Martha Seman Mil-
ler, both natives of Alabama, and connected with
some of the best families of that grand old com-

monwealth. His father was born in 1798, removed
to Texas, and died in Anderson County, this State,
in November, 1856. His mother was also born in
1798, and died at the family homestead in Ander-
son County in 1871.

Capt. W. R. Miller, the subject of this notice, is
a retired merchant. His first business experience
was at Three Creeks, Ark., where he established a
store and dealt in general merchandise for four



years, after which (in 1853) he came to Texas
and located near Klckapoo, in the northeastern
portion of Anderson County, where he engaged in
the same line of business until 1858, when he re-
tired from it until after the close of the war between
the States. In the early part of 1861 he enlisted
in the Confederate army as a soldier in Company
H., commanded by Capt. Rainey, and remained
with the company until the fall, when he was sent
home on account of sickness. He afterwards be-
came a Captain in the State troops and served in
that capacity and as an officer in the commissary
department of the army until the close of hostilities.
The war over, he resumed merchandising and
continued therein until 1887, when failing health
compelled him to retire and engage in less confining
pursuits. In 1886 the business men of Jackson-
ville, by unanimous consent, called upon Capt. Mil-
ler to establish and operate a banking house in the
town for them ; but, still being in feeble health, he
was compelled to decline the flattering invitation.
He, however, moved to Jacksonville in 1888 and
has since resided there. When he located at that
place he had $75,000 in cash, to which he has since
considerably added. His ample means are princi-
pally invested in county. State and United States

He has been a member of the Masonic fraternity
for nearly fifty years, and now holds the R. A. M.

He has been a member of the M. E. Church South
for forty years, and has been a liberal contributor
to the Church financially and an active worker
spiritually, as well.

In February, 1854, he was married to Miss Susan
Moore, of Arkansas. She was born in Alabama in
1833 and is still living, the loved companion of her
husband's declining years. She is a member of the
M. E. Church South, an excellent and widely
accomplished Christian lady.

They have had one child, a daughter. Miss Alice
Jane Miller, born in Arkansas in 1854, and now
deceased. She married Mr. William P. Devereaux,
a druggist at Jacksonville, and died at that place in

Capt. Miller started in life without the aid of
money or powerful friends and, notwithstanding
the reverses that he sustained by the war, which
swept away nearly all the fruits of his labors, gar-
nered prior to that disastrous event, has met with
an almost unbroken series of successes as a finan-
cier and is now regarded as one of the wealthy men
of the county in which he lives.



Mr. Woodhouse was born in Wethersfleld, Conn.,
in 1822. His father, Humphrey Woodhouse, a
seafaring man, native of Wethersfleld, was the
pilot of the first steamboat that navigated the
Connecticut river, and the grandson of Humphrey
Woodhouse, whose father was of the first English
settlers in Connecticut. The Woodhouse family
became numerous and influential throughout the
New England States as men of sterling integrity,
great force of character and enterprise.

Mr. Woodhouse received a good rudimentary
education in his native town, and early exhibited
an aptitude for a business rather than a professional
career. Upon his own responsibility, he at about
fourteen years of age went to New York City and
obtained a position in a large wholesale and retail
house in South street, that dealt extensively in
shipping supplies to foreign countries. He re-

mained with his employers continuously for about
six years and, during that period, was advanced to
a responsible position. In consequence of over-
work and failing health he went to Brazos Santiago,
Texas, in 1847, as supercargo of a merchant
vessel, laden with valuable merchandise, which he
was commissioned to dispose of in that vicinity.
He lightered his cargo at Pt. Isabel, and proceeded
with it to what is now the outskirts of Brownsville,
and there made satisfactory sales. August 24th,
1848, he located in Brownsville and built the first
frame building in the town for a store, and placed
therein a stock of merchandise for Charles Stillman
& Bro. , and sold at wholesale the first goods to
leave the place for Mexico. In 1854 he entered
into partnership with Mr. Charles Stillman, and
the firm built up an extensive business in general
merchandise, which not only supplied a vast



amount of goods to local merchants, but extended
its trade far into the interior of Mexico. In 1859
Mr. Woodhouse withdrew from the firm of Chas.
Stillman & Co., and continued importing and ex-
porting in his name alone. He established a
line of packet ships between Brazos Santiago,
Texas, and New York City. These ships were
constructed in the ship yards of Fair Haven,
Conn., and in many instances designed and
built by a brother, James Woodhouse, who was
a master shipbuilder. In all there were from
time to time about fifty ships of various classes and
tonnage mostly designed and built by them espe-
ciallly for the New York City and Brazos trade.
The vessels were staunchly built, some of them
spread about 4,000 yards of canvas and were there-
fore of great speed. One of these ships, the ^^ Flora
Woodhouse," without ballast carried a cargo of un-
compressed cotton from Matamoros to Liverpool,
England, without disaster or difficulty as to sea-
worthiness. On arrival of the '■'■Flora Woodhouse" at
the port of Liverpool, she was visited by many
interested business men of the city to see the
Yankee schooner from Texas, loaded as she was
with cotton in bales that had not been compressed
but were direct from the gin. The cargo was
bulky and its safe delivery on the Liverpool dock
was looked upon as a feat in marine transportation
and was viewed also in the light of an innovation.
This was during the progress of the great Civil War
and, owing to marine complications and restrictions,
Mr. Woodhouse, as a precaution against further
trouble, changed her name to Flora, simply,
registered her under the British flag and sent her on
her mission, which on the whole proved a success.

Mr. Woodhouse prospered in business and at this
time had extensive interests in New York, Mata-
moros and Brownsville, but, during the progress of
the war between the States, his operations were
chiefly confined to Matamoros. After the close of
the conflict he reopened his business at Browns-
ville, at the same time opening branch offices in
New Orleans and New York City, and extended his
shipping interests, but with the building of rail-
roads and the diversion thereby of trade into
interior towns of Texas and Mexico, with also the
change and obstruction of Brazos and Harbor Bar,
shipping suffered a decline and Mr. Woodhouse
sold his vessels, and gradually withdrew from the
transportation business. In 1865 he married Miss
Mary Belknap, a near relative of Secretary of War
Belknap, a member of President Garfield's and
later President Arthur's Cabinet. They have five
sons and two daughters, all of whom are finely
educated and amply qualified for the duties of life.
The Woodhouse family home is one of the most
spacious, elegant and attractive in the city of

Mr. Woodhouse has doubtless transacted more
business, handled more money, and been as impor-
tant a factor in the history and development of the
border country of Texas as any other citizen of

As years advance he is gradually withdrawing
from business pursuits. He is now principally
engaged in quietly looking after his property inter-
ests in Brownsville and Matamoros, and his ranch,
which is a fine piece of property lying in the interior
of Cameron County, and upon which he has fine
stock in cattle, horses and sheep.



B. F. Piitchett, one of the most influential farm-'
ers and citizens of Cherokee County, Texas, of
which he has been a resident since 1870, was born
December 18, 1832, at Sontown, Newton County,
Ga. His parents were William E. and Mary E.
(Greer) Pritchett. His father was born in Butler
County, Ga. , about the year 1804, and died in 1862
at Dadeville, Ala. His mother was a daughter of
Col. Benjamin Greer, of South Carolina. His
father was a well-to-do farmer, and both of his

parents connected with some of the best families in
the South. Mr. B. F. Pritchett was educated in
Atlanta, Ga., in the academic school located at that
place, and lived on his father's farm until the com-
mencement of the war between the States. At the
beginning of the struggle, he enlisted in the Con-
federate army as a soldier in Company H. (com-
manded by Capt. John Thompson), First Alabama
Battalion of Cavalry, commanded by Maj. T. C.
Bell. In 1862 the company was united with three



Mississippi companies to form the Eighth Missis-
sippi. After participating in a number of minor
engagements, some of which were fierce and san-
guinary enough in their way, he had the pleasure
of sharing the glory with which his command cov-
ered itself at Shiloh, one of the greatest pitched
battles of the war and one hallowed in the memories
of Southern men and women by the fact that the
heroic Albert Sydney Johnston there laid down his
noble life, a life which he had consecrated to the
cause of civil liberty and constitutional freedom
many years before upon the plains of Mexico and
Texas. After further service, Mr. Pritchett was
captured by the Federals at Murfreesboro and taken
to Louisville, Ky., and from thence to Camp Mor-
ton, Indianapolis, Ind., where he remained until

Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 103 of 135)