John Henry Brown.

Indian wars and pioneers of Texas online

. (page 110 of 135)
Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 110 of 135)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


proved a most successful one, the house became
widely known, its business covered a broad extent
of country, and the firm gained an almost unlim-
ited credit in the great commercial centers of the
United States and Mexico, and ranked as the lead-
ing mercantile house In the Eio Grande Valley.
Sanchez & Salinas continued in business until 1877,



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



621



when Don Estabano died, and the affairs of
the firm were wound up. Don Santiago then
turned his attention to stoclt-raising on an
extensive scale. He purchased lands in Ta-
maulipas and Texas and stocked them with
cattle and so successful has he been that he now
leads in that most important industry in the Laredo
country. His progressive ideas, put into practical
execution, have gained for him a wide reputation.
He owns about 200,000 acres of land, a greater por-
tion of which is in Mexico, and his ranch. La Jarita
Sanchez, and Las Crevas are among the largest and
most modernly equipped in Western Tamaulipas.
H^e raises horses, cattle and sheep. He is one of
the pioneers of the cotton-raising industry of Ta-
maulipas and was the first to introduce the cotton-
gin and corn-mill into that State. Don Santiago is
typically a business man and has never allowed
politics or any other side issue to divert his attention
from his calling, his chief ambition having always
been to attain success in his chosen occupation.
He did, however, serve for about eleven years as
Mayor of Laredo, giving to his people an honest and



successful administration. Don Santiago early
learned the lesson of personal independence and
self-reliance. He never received financial aid from
any source and entered business on capital of his own
acquisition. He is therefore a self-made man and
the great success he has attained and the elevated
position he has acquired in the business world and in
the estimation of his legion of friends is entirely
due to his tireless energy and industry, his thrift
and keen business foresight, his unswerving in-
tegrity and his honorable business methods.

He married, September 10th, 1863, Dona Macaria,
a daughter of Don Juan and Dona Tiburcia (Gon-
zales) Ramos. Her father was then Collector of
Customs at the city of Neuvo Laredo, and an influ-
ential citizen. The issue of this happy union is
three sons and six daughters. . The Sanchez family
mansion in Laredo is architecturally one of the
most beautiful and imposing homes in the Rio
Grande Valley. It is perfect in its appointments
and exemplifies the fine discrimination and domestic
tastes of its owner.



W. A. SHAW,

CLARKSVILLE.



Col. W. A. Shaw was born in Green County,
Ala., the 15th day of April, 1827. His father was
James Shaw, a native of North Carolina, and
his mother, nee Miss Carolina Elliot, a native of
Virginia. After their marriage they moved to
Tennessee, then to Alabama, from there to Missis-
sippi, and in 1852 to Kaufman County, Texas,
where some of their children had preceded them.
A majority of the others soon followed. The
father, mother, and three daughters are buried in
Kaufman County, Texas. One son, killed in
battle, is buried in Louisiana. The oldest still lives
in Mississippi. The youngest, Capt. E. B. Shaw,
a farmer, merchant and stock-raiser, lives at Kemp,
in Kaufman County, Texas.

Col. W. A. Shaw received the rudiments of an
education in the old-field schools in Monroe and
Chickasaw counties, Miss., prepared for college
at Aberdeen, Miss., under Prof. Reuben Nason
and Richard Gladney, and entered the Fresh-
man class at Dickson College, Carlisle, Penn.,
where he spent the Freshman and Sophomore



years. About that time a Mr. Kennedy, a citizen
of Maryland, came to Carlisle to claim a runaway
slave. The court awarded him his slave, but as
the master attempted to start home, an abolitionist
mob rescued the slave and killed the master. One
of the professors of the college. Rev. I. D. Mc-
Clintock, was charged with being the instigator of
the mob. While the college was in the North a
majority of the students were from the South. The
students called an indignation meeting to condemn
the professor for his conduct. Prof. McClintock
was very popular with the students — such students
as J. A. C. Creswell, a member of Gen. Grant's
Cabinet, and Barnes Compton, at present a mem-
ber of Congress from Maryland, espoused the
professor's cause and the meeting failed to pass
the resolutions. But W. A. Shaw and a few other
students from the far South took an active part
against the professor and voted to condemn him.
For this action, the subject of this sketch came to
the conclusion that the faculty of the college became
prejudiced against him and he left the institution



622



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



and entered Princeton College, New Jersey, where
he spent his Junior and Senior years and gradu-
ated in the class of 1850. After graduation he
read law in the office of Lindsay & Copp, at Aber-
deen, Miss., and was granted license to practice by
Judge John Watts, of the Fourth Judicial District
of Mississippi.

As he returned home from college, he came
through Washington City and spent ten days there.
Congress was in session. The agitation of the
slavery question was at its height owing to the
recent acquisition of territory from Mexico, as a
result of the Mexican War. The Nashville con-
vention had been called. Daniel Webster had just



Col. Shaw heard Clay read his report and listened
to the speeches of these giant intellects for ten
days. He then made up his mind to support the
compromise and the Union and fought secession
and disunion in every shape it afterwards assumed.
The Mississippi Senators, Foote and Jefferson
Davis, took opposite sides of the question and the
next year became opposing candidates for Gover-
nor of Mississippi. Col. Shaw took the stump for
Foote against Davis. Foote was elected by nine
hundred and ninetj-nine votes, and from that can-
vass in Mississippi, the first after he returned from
college, to the last in Texas, Col. Shaw has been
an active participant in every political contest th^t




W. A. SilAW,



delivered his great 7th of March speech and Foote,
one of the Mississippi Senators, had moved the
formation of a committee of thirteen to prepare a
plan for the compromise of all questions between
the sections. The committee was composed of
thirteen of as able and patriotic men as ever lived
before or since in the United States. Henry Clay,
who was no longer a party man, was chairman and
had declared that he knew, " No North, no Syuth,
no East, no West" The balance of the committee
was made up of Daniel Webster, of Massachusetts ;
Dickerson, of New York ; Phelps, of Vermont ;
John Bell, of Tennessee; Cass, of Michigan ; Ber-
rien, of Georgia ; Cooper, of Pennsylvania ; Downs,
of Louisiana; King, of Alabama; Mangum, of
North Carolina ; Mason, of Virginia ; and Bright,
of Indiana.



has been waged. He was a candidate for elector
on the Filmore ticket jn 1856 and also on the Bell
and Everett ticket in 1860. Col. J. A. Orr was
his opponent in 1856 and Dr. Richard Harrison,
brother of Gen. Tom. Harrison, of Waco, Texas,
his opponent in 1860. He opposed the secession
of Mississippi in 1861. He took the position in
the canvass that disunion would sound the death-
knell of the institution of slavery ; that, were it
possible to divide the Union and set up a sep-
arate Confederacy without the firing of a gun,
the institution of slavery would die a hundred
years sooner than it would if the South remained
in the Union with the protection and guarantees
of the constitution, and that, were he an aboli-
tionist and wished to abolish slavery, he would
advocate disunion as a means to accomplish it. He



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



623



was a planter on the Mississippi river when the war
commenced. In 1863 he moved to Texas with his
family and lived near Chatfield Point, in Navarro
County, until the close of hostilities. After the
close of the war, the levees on the Mississippi river
having been cut and his plantation there being subject
to the overflows every year, he never returned to
it, but rented land and became a tenant on Red
river, in Bowie County, and continued to plant
there until he bought his landlord's plantation,
which he now owns.

He moved his family to Clarksville, Red River
County, in 1879, where he still lives. He was
elected to the Thirteenth Legislature at the general
election in 1872, from the district then composed of
what is now the counties of Red River, Franklin,
Titus and Morris, and was made chairman of the
Committee on Enrolled Bills and was a member of the
Committee on Internal Improvements, Public Lands
aad Counties and County Boundaries, and took an
active part in all the legislation of the session. He
favored every measure providing for- internal
improvements presented to the Legislature, favored
exempting factories from taxation for a term of
years and advocated a liberal policy toward rail-
roads and aiding them by the donation of public
lands. He has never been a candidate for any
office since, but has been a delegate to every Demo-
cratic State convention from 1874 to the Dallas
convention of 1894, and is still a strong advocate
of the "dollars of the daddies," and believes with
Senator Carlisle when he said: " According to my
■view of the subject, the conspiracy which seems to
have been formed here and in Europe to destroy



by legislation, and otherwise, from three-sevenths
to one-half the metallic money of the world, is the
most gigantic crime of this, or any other age."

Col. Shaw has been twice married. He first mar-
ried Miss May Kate Shannon, of Pontotoc County,
Miss., in the year 1857, by whom he had five
children, three of whom died in infancy. His
eldest son, Dr. Thad Shaw, died in Bowie County.
The only surviving son of this union, the Hon. Gus
Shaw, lives at Clarksville, Texas.

His second marriage was to Mrs. C. A, Fain,
whose maiden name was Miss Caladone A. Corne-
lius, in 1867, in Bowie County, Texas, by whom he
had one son, Dr. R. L. Shaw, who died at DeKalb,
Texas. Col. Shaw gave all his sons good literary
and professional educations.

Col. Shaw belongs to the Methodist Church and
takes an active interest in its work and welfare.

He is possessed of an ample income. He and his
wife have more than a thousand acres of Red river
land in cultivation, besides some real estate in the
town of Clarksville, enough to keep the wolf from
the door.

He possesses a good library of some 150 or 200
volumes, consisting of miscellaneous, historical,
political and religious works, which he puts to good
use. While Col. Shaw is a Methodist in his religious
beliefs, and belongs to that Church, one could never
tell from the collection of religious books in his
library to what Church he belongs.

No citizen of Red River Countj- is more generally
and highly esteemed, and he deserves the regard of
his fellow-citizens, for his life has been full of activ-
ity and good works.



E. TOM COX,

BRUCEVILLE.



A prominent farmer and stock -raiser in McLennan
■County, was born in Tennessee, October 2, 1829,
the fourth of ten children born to James and Eliza-
beth (Green) Cox, natives of North Carolina.
They went as colonists to Tennessee before mar-
riage, locating in Carroll County. The father was
a successful farmer in that State until his death,
which occurred in 1853. The mother died in 1877,
aged seventy-nine years.

E. Tom Cox at the age of eighteen years com-
menced life for himself. In 1849 he began farm-



ing in Marshall County, Miss., two years later went
to Dallas County, Ark., and during the following
two years lived ia various places in the southern
portion of the State, principally engaged in raft-
ing; in 1853 traveled with a friend into Texas as
far west as the Brazos river; then returned to
Tennessee, but the following year came to Texas
and engaged in farming and stock-raising in Bell
County. In 1861 Mr. Cox located in McLennan
County, where he purchased several acres of unim-
proved land and opened a farm. He has added to



624



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



this place until he now owns one thousand acres
under cultivation and a large body of pasture and
timbered lands. In the last eighteen years he has
been engaged in the ginning business, having erected
the first gin erected in the portion of the country in
which he lives, in 1867 or 1868. During the war,
he was a soldier in Smith's Battalion, stationed at
Houston, but participated in no engagement. He
was elected Lieutenant of the second company
in Bell County, but was exempted from active duty
on account of being a cripple After the close of
hostilities, he found himself worth only about one-
half of what he was at the beginning of the war
and immediately resumed farming and stock-raising,
at which he has since greatly prospered. He was
appointed the second postmaster at Martensville,
now Bruceville, the name of the town having been
changed after the completion of the Mississippi,
Kansas and Texas Railroad.

Mr. Cox was married in 1856 to Mrs. Mary C.



Harris, a daughter of H. H. and Mary J. (Tubb)
Holcorab. Her first husband died September 1,
1855, leaving one child, G. B. Harris, now a prac-
ticing physician, born February 4, 1856. Eleven
children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Cox, viz. :
R. M., a railroad agent at Morgan; Bettie G.,
wife of li. G. Fields, a merchant at Waco ; George
F., a physician and merchant at Bruceville ; Mattie
B., William R., Zella P., Mary T., and five who
died in infancy.

Mr. and Mrs. Cox are members of the Methodist
Episcopal Church South. He is a member of Belton
Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He
served as Justice of the Peace of his precinct for
one term and also served as County Commissioner
for two years. He is a member of the Peoples
Party. He is an active, progressive and sub-
stantial farmer and a citizen thoroughly represen-
tative of the best interests of his section of the
State.



ROBERT SNEAD KIMBROUGH,



MESQUITE.



Robert S. Kirabrough was born near Madison-
ville. East Tennessee, September 19, 1851.

He came to Texas in 1874 and first settled in
Clay County, but eighteen months later moved to
Mesquite, in Dallas County. Mr. Kimbrough is a
member of the Baptist Church, and Knights of
Honor. In 1873 he was united in marriage to Miss
Fannie Wesson, at Little Rock, Ark. His wife
lived only a short time, and in 1878 he married
Miss Jennie Curtis. In 1881 he established the Mes-
quiter, and it wielded a potent influence in local
and general politics during the four years he con-
ducted its columns.

He was elected to represent Dallas County in the
Nineteenth Legislature, by 1,111 majority over his
colleague, and two other opponents. In that body
he made a good record, and on November 4th,
1888, was elected to the State Senate (long term)
from the Sixteenth District. In the latter body he
was Chairman of the Committee on Roads and
Bridges.

Mr. Kimbrough was a member of the sub-
committee of the Senate Committee on Internal
Improvements, to which was assigned the duty of



framing a Railroad Commission Bill. He intro-
duced, among others, a bill to amend the law as to
attachment and garnishment, so as to allow any, or
all, creditors to intervene in attachment suits,
prove their claims, and get a pro rata share of the
assets of debtors. He is a clear reasoner, a good
speaker, and was one of the ablest men in the
Senate. He took an active part in the canvass
against the constitutional prohibition in 1887 ; and
in 1890 was one of the leaders in the fight for the
nomination of James S. Hogg, by the Democratic
party, for Governor, and the adoption of the
amendment to the constitution that provides for a
State Railroad Commisson. Senator Kimbrough
was the author of the " dirt road " amendment to
the constitution, which was adopted by the people
at the general election in 1890. He made a strong
fight in the Senate against State uniformity of
text-books, holding that State uniformity was im-
practicable, and a species of governmental tyranny
that should not be tolerated in any country where
the doctrine of local self-government prevails.

Mr. Kimbrough is a Democrat true and tried and
has done loyal service.



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



625



THOMAS J. OLIVER,



DALLAS.



Thomas J. Oliver was born in Hardeman County,
Tenn., September 15, 1834.

His parents were Roderick and Temperance
(Darley) Oliver, the former a native of North Car-
olina and the latter of Kentucky. They came to
Texas in 1846 with their family, consisting of eight
children (four boys and four girls), and located in
Limestone County where they tliereafter resided.
The mother died in 1853, and the father in 1867,
and are buried at Fairfield, Texas. The children
were: Narcissa, Ellen, Rosina, Jolm E., F. C, W.
W. and T. J., all of whom are deceased except
Ellen, widow of M. M. Miller, of Limestone County ;
Narcissa, widow of M. Stroud, of Hillsboro ; F. C,
engaged in the hardware business at Groesbeck,
and Thomas J., the subject of this brief sketch.

Mr. Roderick Oliver opened the first farm" in what
is now Freestone County, Texas, and put in a cot-
ton gin there in 1847. The Indians at that time
and for years subsequent thereto committed numer-
ous minor depredations, but the settlers had no
serious trouble with them.

Thomas J. Oliver had but limited educational
advantages, was reared on his father's farm until
twenty years of age ; clerked in his brother's store
for ayear ; worked in the district land office as a clerk
under Jesse J. Cunningham, until 1856, and was
then elected and served as Surveyor of the Robert-
son land district for two years, after which he and
his brothers, John E. and W. W., engaged in mer-
chandise and stock-raising until the beginning of
the war between the States, and then entered the
Confederate army. He took twenty-nine men to
Milligan to organize them into a company, but they
became dissatisfied and went on to Houston and
enlisted in Terry's Texas rangers. He did not
enlist, but accompanied Company C. of that regi-
ment, as a volunteer. After the battle of Fort
Donaldson he was detailed by Gen. Johnston to
return to Texas and make arrangements for cloth-
ing and arms for certain Texas troops who had
escaped from Fort Donaldson and some of whom
were in the hospital. He remained in Texas about
two weeks and 'returned to the army just in time
to participate in the battle of Shiloh. Among
many other battles, he took part in those of
Chickamaugua, Dalton and on to Atlanta. After
Hood assumed command, he was detailed as
one of the scouts under Capt. Shannon. The

40



Shannon scouts were to report at head-quar-
ters every day. After the fall of Atlanta, Gen.
Hood wheeled down toward Newman, and Shan-
non was ordered to Stone Mountain on the left
wing of the Federal army to report the movements
of the enemy in that direction, got lost, hovered
around Sherman's forces until after the Federal
army reached Savannah and then rejoined the Con-
federate army and reported to Gen. Wheeler, who
had assumed command. The Shannon scouts
continued actively employed until the final sur-
render.

Mr. Oliver had three horses shot from under him
and many perilous adventures and narrow escapes,
but was never captured or wounded.

His brother, W. W., died in February, 1865,
shortly before the close of the war. T. J. Oliver
reached home July 22, 1865 ; engaged in merchan-
dising and stock-raising and the land business with
his brother, John E., at Springfield, and in Septem-
ber of that year was married to Miss Alice Peeples,
daughter of R. D. Peeples, of Limestone County.
They have six children, viz. : Mattie, widow of the
late J. W. Webb, of Dallas; Lila, Kate, Emily,
Dick and Fannie. The brothers moved their busi-
ness to Weatherford In 1870. The following year
John E. died in that place and the survivor sold out
the stock and returned to Springfield in 1872,
and shortly thereafter established a private bank
in Mexia, in copartnership with a Mr. Griggs,
under the firm name of Oliver & Griggs, and
built up a prosperous business, which they sold in
1883 to Frendergast & Smith, and moving to Dallas
purchased a private banking business at that place,
which they conducted until 1887, and then merged
into the Fourth National Bank, organized by them-
selves and others with a capital of $200,000. Mr.
Griggs was elected president but died in November
of that year, and Mr. Oliver was elected to and
filled the position for one year. Thereafter, while
he remained a large stockholder, he did not devote
much attention to the institution until 1890, when
he was elected its cashier, an office that he filled
until 1891. In 1892 he took charge of another
national bank as president, but found its affairs in
bad condition and resigned in October.

Mr. Oliver is one of the leading and most pro-
gressive men in the section of the State in which he
resides.



626



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



JOHN W. CRANFORD,



SULPHUR SPRINGS.



John W. Ci-anford, president pro tempore of the
Senate of the Twenty-second Legislature, and
chairman of the Committee on Finance in that
body, although then scarcely more than thirty-one
years of age, ranked as one of the most popular
speakers and influential members of the Senate. In
1888 be was nominated and elected by the Democ-
racy of the Fifth District (composed of the counties
of Hunt, Hopkins, Delta, Franklin and Camp) to
serve in the Twenty-flrst and Twenty-second Legis-
latures. In the Twenty-flrst Legislature he was
chairman of the Senate Committees on State Affairs
and Engrossed Bills.

This year he was nominated for election to
the House of Eepresentatives of the United States
Congress by the Democracy of the District so long
represented by Hon. D. B. Culberson, and will be
elected, no doubt, by one of the largest majorities
ever given a candidate in that district.

In 1865 he came from Alabama to Texas with his
father, who settled in Hopkins County, and soon
thereafter died, leaving him, at a tender age, an
orphan. Early compelled to encounter the stern
realities of life, he bent himself to the task of
preparation for future usefulness, with a hopeful
and courageous lieart, and did well whatever his
hands could find to do. As a consequence he had,
ia due time, both work and friends, and out of his
earnings succeeded in securing a thorough classical
education. An opportunity offering for him to



study law, he left school before completing the
regular curriculum of the graduating class, obtained
license, opened a law office in Sulphur Springs
(where he still lives), and by devotion to his pro-
fession and a determination to fight to the front,
has succeeded in building up a fine law practice.
He is considered a tower of Democratic strength in
North Texas. He gratefully attributes his success
in life to his noble and accomplished wife, nee Miss
Medora Ury, of Sulphur Springs, to whom he was
married in 1880.

In the Twenty-second Legislature he resigned the
chairmanship of the Committee on Finance to accept
the chairmanship of the Committee on Apportion-
ment. He took a prominent part in the debates on
the Railway Commission Bill, and other important
measures, and added new and brighter laurels to
his fame. He favored' uniformity of text- books,
and in a speech strongly advocated the use of
Southern histories in the public schools of Texas.
He received requests from all over the country for
copies of his speech. Mr. Cranford was one of the
foremost members of that galaxy of talent that
adorned the Senate of the Twenty-second Legis-
lature, and in the broader fleld upon which he is
about to enter will no doubt soon take rank among
the foremost of his colleagues.

In 1896 he received the nomination for Congress
and was elected by a large majority over his oppo-
nent.



JAMES W. SWAYNE,

FORT WORTH.



James W. Swayne was born at Lexington, Tenn.,
October 6th, 1855. His mother's maiden name was
Miss Amanda J. Henry. His father, James W.
Swayne, was an eminent lawyer and amassed a flne
fortune during his years of practice at Lexington
and Jackson, Tenn. He died at the latter place in
1856, and Mrs. Swayne moved back to Lexington
"with her family, where she died the following year.
The subject of this biography was educated at the



Kentucky Military Institute, and, in 1877, also
graduated at the Lebanon (Tenn.) Law School,



Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 110 of 135)