John Henry Brown.

Indian wars and pioneers of Texas online

. (page 122 of 135)
Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 122 of 135)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and started for Texas. Carrying out the purpose
he had formed, he traveled sixty miles into West
Virginia, where he earned for a time his own living ;
but being a minor, the law required that a guardian
be appointed for him, and having met Mr. John
Webster, he prevailed upon that gentleman to take
him to Texas, and in return for that service sold
his time to Webster until the expense incurred was
repaid. They landed at Matagorda January 14,
1838. Webster located in Travis County, on Gille-



land creek, fourteen miles south of Austin, and was
two years later killed by the Indians. Young Dar-
lington worked out his debt. After getting his
freedom he worked for a time as a laborer in the
construction of the first Texas capitol and the de-
partment log-houses in Austin, and remained around
Austin until January, 1840. He saved some
money, but by misplaced confidence lost it all. He
took part in many Indian expeditions, was in the
battle of Plum Creek, in 1840, was in the expedition
against Vasquez in 1842, and also participated in
the battle of Salado, near San Antonio, in the fall
of 1842, the Mexican General, Adrian Woll, hav-
ing invaded Texas and captured the city of San
Antonio. Mr. Darlington lived in Travis County
until 1873, since which time he has resided in Will-
iamson County.

He married, in 1843, Miss Ellen Love, in Rusk
County, Texas. She is still the loved companion
of his declining years. They have eight children.
Mr. Darlington has passed twenty-three years in
Williamson County and is now retired from active
pursuits and living in the pleasant little city of
Taylor. Successful in his financial affairs, he has
aided all of his children to a start in life.

He is one of the venerated and loved citizens of
his locality. He knew Gen. Sam Houston, Col.
Brown and all of the leading men of early days
A member of the Texas Veterans' Association, it
is a pleasure to him to meet at the annual reunions
those who remain of his friends of the loved long
ago.

May he and others like him be long spared
to a grateful country.



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



691



SAM. BRONSON COOPER,

WOODVILLE.



S. B. Cooper was born in Caldwell County, Ky,,
May 30th, 1850.- His parents, Eev. A. H. and
Mrs. Elizabeth Cooper, came to Texas in Decem-
ber, 1850, and located at Woodville. His mother
is still living. Mr. Cooper attended local schools
and secured a common English education. •

His father died in 1853, and the subject of this
sketch was reared by an uncle, Sam. S. Prazer, who
was very kind to him.

At sixteen years of age Mr. Cooper secured a
clerkship in a general store at Woodville, and soon
displayed those qualities that have since made his
life honored and successful. The war left his uncle
old and without means. Mr. Cooper, out of his
earnings, supported his uncle and mother. He
read law at night for a number of years, was ad-
mitted to the bar in January, 1872, and became a
member of the law firm of Nicks, Hobby & Cooper.
He was a member of this firm until 1876. In 1884
he formed a copartnership with John H. Kirby,
now of Houston, Texas, and July, 1890, formed a
copartnership with J. A. Mooney, with whom he
is now associated in the practice of law at Wood-
ville, under the firm name of Cooper & Mooney.

November 15th, 1873, Mr. Cooper was united in
marriage to Miss Phoebe Young. They have four
children: Willie C, Maggie H., Bird B., and Sam.
Bronson Cooper, Jr.

Mr. Cooper was elected County Attorney of Ty-
ler County in 1876, and was re-elected in 1878, and
in 1880 was elected to the State Senate and re-
elected in 1882, from the First District, Tyler
County. He was elected president pro tern, of the
Senate at the end of the Eighteenth Legislature.

He was appointed by President Cleveland Col-
lector of Internal Revenue for the First Texas



District, with headquarters at Galveston. He held
this oflSce until 1887, when his district was consoli-
dated with the Third District, and the senior Col-
lector (Collector for the Third District) succeeded
to the office.

Mr. Cooper is the author of the bill, passed by
the Seventeenth Legislature, giving Confederate
veterans 1,280 acres of land. He gave special
attention to legislation affecting the disposition of
the public lands. He advocated sales to actual set-
tlers only ; the leasing of grazing lands for short
terms, and sales of timber for cash, holding the fee
in the State. He introduced and advocated a bill
embodying these views, and the main features of
his measure were enacted into a law.

Senator Cooper took an active and prominent
part in all the legislation enacted by the Seven-
teenth and Eighteenth Legislatures, and was con-
sidered one of the brainiest men in those bodies.
The reputation earned in the Legislature led to his
nomination and election to the United States Con-
gress in 1892. He was renominated and elected in
1894, and this year (1896) has been again honored
by renomination and will undoubtedly be re-elected
by his Democratic constituents. He has made a
splendid record in Congress. Each new session
has added to his laurels. His district (the Second)
and the State of Texas have reason to be proud of
him. He is a Democrat who has stumped his sec-
tion of the State in every campaign for years past.
He is a Royal Arch Mason. Mr. Cooper is consid-
ered one of the best lawyers at the bar in this
State, is in the prime of a vigorous manhood, and
will make his influence still more widely felt in the
coming sessions of Congress, at which so much legis-
lation in the interest of the people is to be enacted.



WILLIAM THOMAS HUDGINS,

TEXARKANA.



Mr. Hudgins was born in Northumberland
County, Va., on January 15th, 1859. He comes
from Revolutionary families of that State. His
grandfather. Col. Thomas Hudgins, of Matth-



ews County, commanded the defense of the Vir-
ginia Peninsula during the War of 1812. His
maternal grandfather. Dr. William Heath Kirk, of
Lancaster County, was a Baptist minister of great



692



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



ability, known and loved throughout Virginia and
neighboring States. His father, William Philip
Hudgins (now of San Antonio, Texas), is a grad-
uate of Bethany College and of the University of
Virginia, and while a young Sergeant in the Fortieth
Virginia Volunteers, was seriously wounded at
Gaines' Mill, in 1862. He moved his family to
Texas in 1865, and settled at Marshall, in Harrison
County, where the subject of this sketch was
reared.

Mr. W. T. Hudgins became a telegraph operator
in 1873, and held a lucrative position with the
Texas & Pacific Railway Company in 1875, when
he resigned, at the age of sixteen, and matriculated
as a student at Richmond College, Richmond, Va.,
from which institution he graduated as Master of
Arts, with highest honors, in 1879. Upon his mak-
ing a public address at the commencement exer-
cises of the College that year. Dr. J. L. M. Curry,
then Professor of Moral Philosophy, afterwards
president of the College, manager of the Peabody
Fund, and United States Minister to Spain, wrote
him a personal letter in which on behalf of the
faculty of the College, he said: "All of us look
forward with hopeful anticipations to your future
career. You have wonderful powers of concentra-
tion, a quick intellect, and a philosophic mind."

Mr. Hudgins returned to Texas in 1879, and
studied law in the office of his cousin, Hon. Geo. T.
Todd, of Jefferson, Texas. He received his license
to practice from Judge R. R. Gaines, now Chief
Justice of the Supreme Court of Texas, in 1880.
He moved to Texarkana, Texas, in 1881, and there
established a law partnership with Hon. Chas. S.
Todd, which continued twelve years. In 1882 he
was elected County Attorney of Bowie County. In
1886 he was elected a Democratic member of the
Texas Legislature from the Seventeenth District,
then composed of the counties o:^ Bowie, Cass,
Marion, and Morris. He served with distinction in
the regular and special sessions of the Twentieth



Legislature, after which he voluntarily retired from
politics, and traveled in Europe in 1889. While in
the Legislature he was Chairman of the Committee
on Enrolled Bills, and a member of the Judiciary
Committee, and the Committees on Towns and City
Corporations, and Counties and County Boundaries.
He was the special champion of the interests of the
University of Texas, in the House, and by his elo-
quent persistency, against great opposition, secured
the appropriations for erecting the main building of
that institution.

In 1891 he married Mrs. Sallie Norris Taylor, of
Red River County, and has since continued the
practice of law in Texarkana and the adjacent
country in Texas and Arkansas. He has been
identified with the most important cases, both civil
and criminal, in that territory. He is now General
Attorney and Second Vice-President of the Texar-
kana & Fort Smith Railway Company, to accept
which position, in 1893, he severed his connection
with the well-known law firm of Todd, Hudgins &
Rodgers.

He was an alternate delegate from Texas to the
"National Democratic Convention of 1884, which
first nominated President Cleveland. During the
political campaign of 1896 he was an ardent
sound money, or gold standard, advocate, was a
prominent member of the State Convention at
Waco, and a delegate from Texas to the Indianap-
olis Convention which nominated Generals Palmer
and Buckner for President and Vice-President. In
the final election he accepted the suggestion of Gen.
Palmer, and, for the first time, voted the straight
Republican ticket. Though not a candidate for any
office, he made strong speeches during the cam-
paign opposing free silver, but insisting upon fair
elections and a reasonable tariff for protection of
domestic products.

Mr. Hudgins is one of our broad-minded, pro
gressive business men, who are doing great work in
advancing the development of Texas.



C. POTTER

COOKE COUNTY.



Capt. C. Potter, one of the most widely known County, Texas, in 1858, and settled sixteen miles

of the early pioneers who settled in Northwest northwest of Gainesville, then the extreme outpost

Texas and reclaimed that section to civilization, along the frontier of white settlements in that direc-

moved from the State of Mississippi to Cooke tion.



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



693



He, like many others who pushed into the Far
West, expected the country to rapidly fill up with
immigrants and the frontier to recede with the in-
coming waves of the human tide that has since
swept across the continent to the Pacific Ocean, but
his calculation did not take into account the great
Civil War of 1861-5. This event brought a sudden
stop to the movement of population into Texas
and, during that struggle, the few people who re-
sided in the frontier settlements were subjected to
a continuous Indian warfare that taxed their en-



were killed. The Indians were everywhere com-
mitting depredations, and the Confederate govern-
ment, finding itself unable to furnish troops to
protect the frontier settlements, authorized the
State to organize State troops for tliat purpose, and
Capt. Potter was placed in command of five com-
panies and served with these until the end of the
war, holding the Indians in check, or where that
was impossible, pursuing them and inflicting bloody
chastisements upon them.

His three sons, C. C. Potter, J. M. Potter and



^B /^




k *


iJ




J' ^^^^^^^^K


W^m''-


amj^^^H^^^BH^HL"


I i


i^H



C. POTTEE.



durance and resources to the utmost. During this
trying period he proved himself to be a natural
leader, rich in resource and dauntless in spirit, and
rendered valuable service to the State. In Decem-
ber, 1863, the Indians, about two hundred and fifty
strong, burned his dwelling-house and all its con-
tents. This loss, coming at the time it did, forced
his family to endure many privations, but he had
no thought of leaving the country, on the contrary
he determined to hold his ground and stand by his
neighbors and friends until the dawning of happier
and more prosperous days. In a battle near his
house, at one time, in which his eldest son was
wounded, several Indians and three white settlers



C. L. Potter, live in Gainesville ; of his daughters,
Mrs. W. A. Lanier lives at Sulphur Springs, Texas ;
Mrs. L. K. Evans, at Nocona, Texas ; Mrs. W. C.
Weeks, at Arlington, Texas, and Mrs. L. H. Mathis,
at Wichata Falls, Texas. His sons occupy honor-
able positions in business and professional circles,
Hon. C. C. Potter having represented his district
in the Legislature a number of times and won a
State-wide reputation in that body. His daughters
are among the brightest social ornaments of the
communities in which they reside. All the de-
scendants of this noble old pioneer have proven
worthy of their parentage, and have contributed
their part toward making the Texas of to-day.



694



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



A. FORCKE,



NEW BRAUNFELS.



For more than fifty years the subject of this
memoir has been a citizen of Texas. Coming to
this country a man of superior education and
attainments, he has been an intelligent observer and
eye-witness of the multifarious changes that have
transpired since he took up his residence at New
Braunfels, and few of the old pioneers of Texas
have a mind so well stored with interesting and
instructive reminiscences, or are more entertaining
conversationalists.

Mr. Forcke was born in Hildesheim, Germany,
April 21st, 1814, and was educated in local schools
at Hildesheim and Jena, and secured his -diploma
as an apothecary and followed that avocation in his
native town. His parents were J. G. and Mrs. A.
M. J. (Grossman) Forcke, both of whom are dead,
his father dying in 1862 and his mother in 1868, at
Hildesheim. His father was a joiner by trade, and
a man much respected in the community in which
he spent his long and useful life. The subject of
this notice and his family left his home in the
Fatherland for Texas in 1845, and in talking with
him he gave the writer the following account of his
coming to and settlement in this country: —

" After having joined the Fuersten-Verein, we
departed for Bremen on the 14th of November,
1845, and arrived at New Braunfels on the I4th of
July, 1846, after a voyage lasting eight months.
We suffered greatly from adverse weather and were
shipwrecked in the channel during a terrific storm,
but were happily driven to the mouth of the River
Weser after we had drifted about some four weeks.
Here a pilot came to meet us, risking his life, as
the weather was stormy, and called out to lower the
anchors. Fortunately the pumps were in order
and the vessel was kept afloat by them, going day
and night. The pilot, who was taken aboard with
much difficulty, guided the ship back to Bremer-
haven. It was nearly a total wreck and our Jug-
gage was rained for the greater part.

" My brother, who was a strong young fellow of
twenty-four, was stricken with typhus three days
later and died.

'' As our ship was utterly useless, we were fur-
nished another one, the " Creole,'\ a strong vessel
which had just completed a voyage under Capt.
Dannemann, a very able seaman. A part of the
passengers, however, refused to continue their trip
and returned home.



"Some three weeks later, after everything had
been washed and cleaned as well as could be done,
we set sail and in time came to Dover, where we
dropped anchor. Here we had a singular expe-
rience. The ship, which had been secured by cables
and chains, keeled over partially when the tide went
out, but was kept from entirely capsizing by the
cables, which held it. Still, the damage was suffi-
cient to spring a leak, and so we were forced to sail
for Cowes (Isle of Wight) to have the vessel calked
and its bottom coppered. This delayed us three
weeks, after which we again set sail and as we
struck the trade winds everybody rejoiced, for the
favorable current brought us nearer our destination
by a good many miles every day.

' ' However, we were not so lucky as to retain
favorable winds and after a short while we struck a
dead calm. In fact, the captain declared that he had
never before made a voyage under such untoward
circumstances. Several weeks later we encountered
a number of whales, there must have been a dozen
of them, and several icebergs were passed at a
respectful distance.

" Through the carelessness of the first mate we
came near colliding with a French frigate and, but
for the dexterity of the captain, both vessels might
have gone down. We now neared the West Indian
Archipelago and encountered daily storms until we
landed at Galveston, about the beginning of May,
Here we remained for several weeks and were then
transferred by schooners to Indianola, where we
were received by the physician of the society with
the words : ' I am awfully glad you have come, as
I will now have some/ assistance, everybody has the
cholera.'

" Of course we helped, and for the three weeks
we remained there, the sick were provided with
suitable medicine. On account of the very un-
favorable weather, cold and dampness, and lack of
care and attention, a great number of the patients
died, who could have been saved if it had been pos-
sible to take them to New Braunfels.

" The only obtainable vehicle for the continua-
tion of our journey was an ox-cart and a pair of
oxen, by which method two families were finally
brought to New Braunfels, where I was engaged by
the society as apothecary."

Mr. Forcke prospered in business at New Braun-
fels as an apothecary (in which he has since been




COL. A. J. ROSE.



INDIAN WABS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



695



engaged ) and soon came to take an active part in
the affairs of the community, of which he has been
a leading citizen from the beginning, working
always for the promotion of the best interests of
the town and for the upbuilding of the section in
which it is situated. No man in that part of the
State is more generally and justly esteemed for pur-
ity of character and services rendered.

He married, in 1848, at New Braunfels, Texas,



Miss Sophia Fricke, an estimable young lady of
that place, who has borne him three children : G.
H. Forcke, Mrs. Joseph Faust and Charles Forcke,
the latter of whom is deceased. Mr. Forcke has
served as a member of the Board of Aldermen of
the city of New Braunfels and of the Board of
School Trustees, in both of which positions he has
been an active worker for the best interests of the
city of his residence.



A. J. ROSE,

SALADO.



What Texas is to-day and what she may in the
future hope to be is founded upon the broad, liberal
and far-sighted wisdom and the stability of her
pioneers. The pioneers of Texas, as a rule, were
not adventurers as in most countries they usually
were, but were men of resolute and well defined
purpose who came hither to aid in the building up
of a free and independent government and iden-
tify themselves with the development of a new and
promising commonwealth and to establish homes.
They were mostly young people with their lives
before them and with a strong determination and
willing hands to develop the country. The subject
of this brief memoir was one of that class and it is
doubtful if there is to-day a pioneer who has been
more closely identified with the material growth of
Texas than he, and the authgr's aim in publishing
this work would not be accomplished without making
a becoming record of bis long and useful career.

Mr. Rose is a native of North Carolina and was
born in Caswell County, September 3d, 1830. His
father, H. S. Rose, was a farmer whose ancestors
were among the first settlers of North Carolina.
Mr. Rose's mother was Mary Durham, her family
likewise being pioneers of North Carolina. In the
early days of that State H. S. Rose removed with
his family onto the frontier in Missouri, lived in
Howard and Randolph counties, and in the year
1836 or 1837 removed to Macon County. Our sub-
ject was then a small boy of about six years, still
he vividly remembers the skeleton Indian tepes lo-
cated on the old homestead that had been but
recently abandoned when the family located there-
on. The father secured land from the government,
developed a pioneer home and there lived until his
death in 1846. He was an active and enterprising



man, a typical pioneer and delighted in frontier life
and took a prominent part in opening up the Macon
County country. He erected the first saw and grist
mill in that section of the State, which proved a
great boon to the settlers of that and adjacent
counties. Of his eight children five grew to maturity
and our subject was of these the oldest. He spent
his youth on his father's farm and in the mill. He
was ambitious to make a start for himself in the
world and upon the discovery of gold in California in
1849 went overland in company with seven others
to the gold diggings with ox teams and wagons, con-
suming 134 days en route. This was a hazardous
and difHcult undertaking in those days. He re-
mained in California until 1853, during which time
he engaged in mining and freighting, meeting, on
the whole, with fair success. He left Sacramento
City on the 23d of May^ 1853, for his home in Mis-
souri, making the journey on a mule in sixty-six
days. After his return home Maj. Rose purchased
a farm and engaged in agricultural pursuits in
Macon County until 1857, when he sold his farm
and moved overland to Texas with a mule team,
bringing with him his young wife and two children.
They located in Travis County and he engaged in
raising stock, chiefly horses. He there remained
until 1860, when he removed to San Saba County,
where he had purchased a fine location for a home,
about fifteen miles west of the town of San Saba,
on the San Saba river, irrigating his farm from a
bold spring upon it. With his accustomed energy
he soon opened up a fine farm.

The war came on and every available white man
enlisted, but owing to the monthly visits of the red
man to steal and kill, all heads of families were re-
tained for the protection of the women and children,



696



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



as the Indians not only became more troublesome
in their depredating expeditions but even more hos-
tile and murderous.

Maj. Eose was a duly accredited officer of the
Confederate army, served on the Indian frontier
first as Lieutenant and later as Major, and took
active part in numerous thrilling scenes and inci-
dents, doing his country valiant service. He also,
in the meantime, pushed his farm operations, and
raised quantities of corn and potatoes and farm
produce, which he distributed generously and with
an open hand to the needy families of soldiers who
were at the front. He also erected, at his home, a
grist and saw mill. He also erected a schoolhouse
on his premises and employed a teacher, receiving the
hearty co-operation of his neighbors in this good
work of schooling the children. He thus started
the nucleus for a thriving community, but owing to
the too frequent raids and the deadly hostility of
the Indians and lack of proper frontier protection,
he finally disposed of his holdings, and in February,
1868, located in Bell County. For two years he
lived near Belton, and in 1870 moved to Salado,
which is now (1896) his unofficial home.

Maj. Rose was married June 18, 1854, to Miss
Sallie A. Austin, of Missouri, daughter of Walker
and Eupham McKinney Austin. The McKinney
family were among the earliest settlers of Texas.
Thomas F. McKinney, uncle of Mrs. Rose, came
to Texas in 1834, was one of the old Santa Fe
traders, and was instrumental in selecting the site
of Austin. Following are the names of the chil-
dren born to Maj. and Mrs. Rose: Alice E., wife
of T. R. Russell, of Bell County; Mary H., wife
of A. J. Mackey ; W. S. , a farmer of Bell County ;
Beatrice, wife of Levi Anderson, of Bell County ;
Sallie A., wife of George W. Perry, of Macon
County, Mo; Callie M. ; A. Johnson, Jr., and
Louselle are at home with their parents.

Maj. Rose joined the Missionary Baptist Church
in 1861, in San Saba, and is now deacon and treas-
urer of Salado Baptist Church at Salado, Bell
County, Texas.

In October, 1861, Maj. Rose was initiated into
the mysteries of Freemasonry in San Saba Lodge
No. 225. In December, 1862, he was elected its
Senior Warden, and in 1863 its Master, which posi-
tion he filled consecutively until he removed to
Bell County in 1868. Affiliating with the Belton
Lodge No. 166, December, 1868, was elected Mas-



Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 122 of 135)