John Henry Brown.

Indian wars and pioneers of Texas online

. (page 52 of 135)
Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 52 of 135)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


whispers of mother, sister, friends — whispers of
trust in God. Often sinking prostrate under the
alluring shade of trees, he would sleep sometimes
for hours, at others only through fitful moments,
with the one dread of inflamed and disordered
brain, and therefore inevitable death, ever present.
Thus he toiled, suffered, agonized for six days, his
only nourishment being three prickly pears, till, on
the seventh day, a living skeleton, he staggered
into San Antonio, as one risen from the dead — to
be joyfully embraced by valiant comrades and
those blessed ladies, who at that day, won the love
and the homage of all true soldiers who from time
to time held quarters in and around San Antonio —
of whom Mrs. Elliott, Mrs. Jaques and Mrs. Mav-
erick were conspicuous examples.

Kit Acklin was yet considered among the dead.
But not so.

On the eighth day, in much the same condition
as Perry, Acklin gave renewed joy to all by appear-
ing among them. His trials had been similar to
those of his comrade. The arrow was still tenac-
iously fixed in his cheek.



Both received needful medical treatment and
gentle nursing. The arrow was extracted from
each, and in a few weeks each was restored to fair
health ; but Perry never entirely recovered from the
wound in his temple, bearing to this day the ex-
ternal evidence of its severity.

Of these four gallant men, John Carlton died
long since in San Antonio; James Dunn was killed
in 1864, in a fight between Texas and Union
soldiers at Las Rucias, on the Lower Eio Grande ;
Christopher H. Acklin was a Captain in Hays'
regiment in the Mexican war, afterwards went to
California, and died there ; Cicero R. Perry, who
was born August 23, 1822 (I think in Alabama),
came to Texas in 1833, was in Col. Moore's Indian
fight and defeat, on the San Saba, February 12,

1839, in the skirmish of Casa Blanca, August 9,

1840, and in many contests with the Indians.
When Gen. Lee surrendered in 1865, Capt. Perry
commanded the advance guard of 183 men, under
my command, in an expedition against the Indians
into the Concho country. Then, as now, he lived
in Hays County, honored as a good citizen and
high-toned gentleman. It was a genuine pleasure
to again grasp his hand at the late semi-centennial
of San Jacinto as one of the Texas Vete,ran's re-
union in Dallas. Ourfriendship began in accident-
allj' meeting alone in an exposed wilderness west
of the Colorado, on a gloomy day in October, 1840.
We traveled alone all day and slept together that
stormy night. That friendship has been unbroken
and steadfast, changed only by increased endear-
ment with the flight of time.



JOSEPH LANDA,

NEW BRAUNFELS.



Joseph Landa, who for so long a period has
figured as the chief factor in the development of
the pretty city of NewBraunfels, and who is widely
known and esteemed as one of Texas' most promi-
nent and worthy pioneers, was born in Prussia,
Germany. He came to San Antonio in 1846, as a
general merchant and real estate dealer, both in
San Antonio and New Braunfels. In 1859 he pur-
chased of Mr. Merriweather his entire water power
and milling interests at New Braunfels ; took posses-
sion of the same and commenced developments in



1860, since which time he has given to them his
best thought and energies.

The plants now being operated are a flour mill of
500 barrels capacity, a large electric light plant and
an 80-ton cottonseed oil mill.

At the present time Mr. Landa is busy increasing
the capacity of his oil mill to 100 tons per day and
putting in a late improved water wheel of 260 horse-
power, to operate the oil mill. The company has
also contracted for the erectiop of a new electric
light station, and, in addition to the new wheel, will



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



271



put in another one to operate several new dynamos
for light and the transmission of power, all of which
will materialize this (1896) spring.

The firm as it now stands, is doing the most ex-
tensive business of any institution in Western
Texas. It handled last year 3000 car loads of prod-
uct, which, with their enlarged facilities, will be
greatly increased this year. They are only await-
ing the advent of another railroad to build the
lai'gest oil mill and flour mill in the State of
Texas.

The entire business is managed by his son, Mr.
Harry Landa, with an efflcient force of about
seventy-five employees.



In 1851, Mr. Joseph Landa, subject of this notice,
was united in marriage to Miss Helen Friedlander,
daughter of Mr. Solomon Friedlander, of Albany,
N. Y.

Seven surviving children were born to this union,
three sons and four daughters.

Mr. Landa's home, facing the plaza in New
Braunfels, is one of the finest family mansions, in
point of architectural grace and completeness, in
interior arrangement, finish and furnishings, in
Southwestern Texas ; and here he and his wife
with their son live in quiet retirement, surrounded
by a wide circle of friends to make serene and
happy the remaining years of life.



E. L. R. WHEELOCK,

ROBERTSON COUNTY.



Col. E. L. R. Wheelook, one of the first settlers
of Eobertson County, Texas, was a native of New
England, where he was reared and partly educated,
finishing his collegiate training at West Point, of
which he was a graduate. He served in the War of
1812 and in the Black Hawk War; settled when a
youug man in Illinois, where he lived for a while;
then went to Mexico and spent something over
three years, trading in that country ; returned to
Illinois, where he resided until 1833, engaged
principally in the mercantile and milling business,
and then came to Texas, and settled in Robertson's
tlolony, on the prairie, named for him Wheelock
Prairie, and laid out the town of Wheelock, which
was also named for him. He remained in Texas
until 1846, when he returned to Illinois to settle up
some business matters there, preparatory to trans-
ferring all his interests to Texas. He had consid-
erable landed possessions in Adams County and
<Juincy, 111., his name being perpetuated in the
history of that city by Wheelock square and
Wheelock addition. While on this journey he was
taken sick and died at Edwardsville, 111. His
trunk, containing many of his valuable papers, was
never recovered by his family (who remained in
Texas) in consequence of which they lost some of
his property.

During the troubles of 1835-6 he was in Texas
and was in what is known to history as the " Run-
away Scrape." After removing his family to a
place of safety, he started with his son, George R.



Wheelock, and his afterwards son-in-law, Samuel
A. Kimble, to join the array under Houston, but
reached it the day after the battle of San Jacinto.

His wife was Miss Mary P. Prickett before mar-
riage and was born in Lexington, Ky. Her
parents emigrated to Illinois at an early day and
there she met and was married to Mr. Wheelock.
She died in Robertson County, Texas, October 12,
1881, at the age of eighty-four years. To Mr.
Wheelock and his wife five children were born, the
youngest of whom, a son, Thomas Ford, died at the
age of five. The others grew to maturity. These
were: George Ripley, Annette Woodward, William
Hillman and David P. The three sons saw more or
less military service in Texas, George R. as a mem-
ber of the Minute Men and William H. and David P.
in the Mexican War, both the latter being present at
and taking part in the battles of Monterey and
Buena Vista. William H. and David P. also
served in the Confederate army during the war be-
tween the States. But two of the family are now
living: William H., who resides at Franklin, in
Robertson County, and the daughter, Annette
Woodward, now Mrs. S. B. Killough.

Mrs. Killough, at this writing, one of the oldest
settlers of Robertson County, was born in Bond
County, 111., in 1821. Accompanying her parents
to Texas in 1833 her entire life has since been
passed in this State — and that, too, within a mile
or so of where she now lives, near old Wheelock, in
Robertson County. She remembers many events



272



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



connected with the early history of the locality
where she lives and is a very entertaining
talker. She has borne her full share of the burden
of settling the country and her life has not been
without its sorrows in addition to the hardships
incident to the settlement of the country. She has
been three times married and is now a widow. Her
first marriage was in November, 1836, and was to
Samuel A. Kimble. There being no one authorized
to solemnize the rites of matrimony in Robertson's
Colony the contracting parties had to go to Nachi-
toches, La., where they were regularly united
aiccording to the laws of that State. Mr. Kimble
died three weeks later. In March, 1837, his widow
was united in marriage with Andrew Jackson
Powers, a noted pioneer who was killed January 9,
1839, in Morgan's defeat in what is now Falls
County. Of this marriage one child was born,
Thomas Washington Powers, who died when three
weeks old. The third marriage was in 1841, to
Samuel Blackburn Killough, who was born near
Murfreesboro, Tenn., September 10, 1813, and came



to Texas in 1839, settling at Old Franklin, Roberston
County, where he was engaged a short time in the
mercantile business. He then moved to Wheelock
Prairie and there spent the remainder of his life,
engaged in planting and stock-raising. He was
County Judge of Robertson County in the '50s
and was a member of the Constitutional Convention
of 1875 from Robertson, Brazos and Milam
counties. He died at his home near Wheelock,
June 21, 1876. To Judge Killough and wife were
born eleven children, six of whom reached matur-
ity: Nancy J., wife of George H. Dunn; Sallie
E., wife of William Henry; Annette, wife of Abe
McMordie ; Henry C, Charles Cavendish and Isaac
DeLafayette Killough.

Mrs. Killough at this writing lives with her son,
Isaac DeLafayette Killough, on the farm where
Judge Killough settled. She has all the neces-
saries and comforts of life. Her other children
live near enough for her to see them quite
often. She is indeed a kind, motherly, model
woman.



FREDERICK KALTEYER,



SAN ANTONIO,



Was born in Aademer, Grand Duchy of Nassau,
in 1817, where he was reared. In boyhood and
youth he attended the schools of his native place
and completed his education at Mayence and Gels-
sen, studying chemistry in the last named place
under Baron Von Liebig. He emigrated to New
Orleans in 1846 and the same year came to Texas,
stopping at Galveston, where he remained a short
time and put up and operated the first soda foun-
tain ever in the State. But the outlook was not
favorable for him there and he returned to New
Orleans, where he engaged in the drug business
until 1854, when, through the persuasions of
George Kendall, he sold out his interests and came
to Texas and purchased a ranch near Boerne, on
which he settled and undertook to raise stock. . At
the end of three years he had lost everything he had
except his land, and that he traded to Dr. F. Herff
for a small drug store in San Antonio. Removing
to that place he engaged again at his old business
and followed this with a fair measure of success as
long as he lived. The establishment which he pur-
chased and built up is still running now under the



firm name of F. Kalteyer & Son, on the north side
of Military Plaza.

Mr. Kalteyer was a man of fine attainments as a
chemist and a thoroughly good citizen, interesting
himself in everything pertaining to the welfare of
the communities in which he lived. While residing
in New Orleans he was a member of a number of
German benevolent associations and exerted him-
self in every way to relieve the necessities of his
countrymen and to enable them to get fair starts
in the new world. While residing near Boerne in
this State he acted as physician to the scattered
settlers of that locality, served them as county
judge and in difficult matters acted for them as a
wise and faithful adviser.

After settling in. San Antonio he gave his atten-
tion mainly to his business and, with the exception
of the position of alderman, never held any public
office.

In New Orleans he married Miss Henrietta Leon-
ardt, a native of Westphalia, Germany, of which
union there were born two sons and two daughters.
The daughters are Mrs. Adolph Herff and Mrs.



INDIAN WABS AND PIONEEBS OF TEXAS.



273



George Altgelt, of San Antonio. The sons are
among the leading business men of that city. The
elder, Mr. George H. Kalteyer, being the senior
member of the firm of F. Kalteyer & Son, druggists,
president of the San Antonio Drug Company,
which he organized, the principal stockholder in
the Alamo Cement Company, which he also organ-



ized, a stockholder in the Lone Star Brewing Com-
pany and, in fact, is or has been connected in some
capacity with almost every public or private cor-
porate enterprise in the city, including the railways
for which he helped secure the right of way, and
in other ways lent valuable aid when they were
building into the city.



GEORGE W. GLASSCOCK, SR.,

AUSTIN.



G. W. Glasscock, Sr., was born in Hardin
County, Ky., on the 11th day of April, 1810, and
in that State was reared and spent his boyhood
daj's. In 1830 he emigrated to St. Louis, Mo.,
and two years afterwards moved to Springfield,
III., where he engaged in the mercantile business.
Soon the tocsin of war sounded. The Indian was
on the war path. The noted Chief Black Hawk
with his warriors had to be met. A call for vol-
unteers was made. Glasscock was among the first
who enlisted. He was elected First-Lieutenant in
Capt. J. M. Early's Company, and did his duty as
a faithful soldier during that short but trying and
wearisome campaign, in which his brother, Gregory
Glasscock, lost his life in the defense of his coun-
try. Next we find him flat-boating in partnership
with President Abraham Lincoln on the Sangamon
and Illinois rivers. When he quit this business
he returned to his uncle near St. Louis, Mo., where
he remained until tidings of deeds of daring going
on in the Southwest started him on a new field of
adventure.

He emigrated to Texas in 1834 and settled at
Zavalla, in the municipality of Jasper, again fol-
lowing the occupation of merchant in partnership
with T. B. Huling and Henry Millard. It was
here in 1837 that he married Miss Cynthia C.
Knight, the daughter of John Knight, of Davidson
County, Tenn. , who departed this life in 1866 and
left him and seven children surviving her.

In the latter part of 1836 his firm engaged exten-
sively in the land locating business, and Glasscock
was the surveyor. It was in this capacity that
he first became acquainted with Western Texas,
locating most of the land certificates of the firm in
Travis, Williamson, Burnet, Hays, Lampasas, and
Milam counties. Once when locating land cer-
tificates in Williamson County, the locating party

18



divided to search for good locations on Berry's
creek, and his party escaped a band cf Indian
warriors while the other party was massacred by
them.

When the fate of Texas was quivering in the
scales of destiny in 1835-6, the young surveyor
threw aside the compass and surveying-chain to
seize the musket and sabre and hurry to the front.
Of how he conducted himself the survivors of the
Grass Fight and those who participated in the
storming and capture of ' the Alarno with him in
December, 1835, can best tell, in both of which
engagements he did his full duty as a soldier and
patriot. He was First-Lieutenant in Capt. James
Chesshire's Company from Jasper, and was in ten
feet of Col. Milam who fell on the 10th of Decem-
ber, 1835, in the city of San Antonio, Texas, at
the storming and recapture of that city by the
Texians. He was in many engagements against
the Indians in the pioneer days of Texas.

Enchanted bythe beautiful prairies and valleys of
the Colorado and San Gabriel rivers, he moved to
the town of Bastrop, in 1840, where he remained
until 1844, when he moved to a tract of land that he
purchased and improved, one and one-half miles
west of Webberville, in Travis County, Texas. In
1848 he moved to Williamson County, near George-
town, and built the first flour-mill in Western
Texas. In the same year he donated to William-
son County one hundred and seventy-two acres of
land upon which the city of Georgetown is loca-
ted and which place was named in honor of him.
To the building up of Georgetown and Williamson
County he devoted much of his energy, time and
means. He moved to Austin, Travis County, in
1853, where he resided until his death, in 1868.
From 1850 to the time of his death- he filled many
important positions. He represented Travis and



274



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



Williamson counties in the Tenth and Eleventh'
Legislatures. He was public-spirited and generous,
taking great interest in all public enterprises.

In 1887, the Twentieth Legislature, in apprecia-
tion of the distinguished services rendered by him
to Texas, created and named Glasscock County in
his honor. The following language was used in the
act creating the county: " The county of Glass-
cock is named in honor of George W. Glasscock,



who participated in the struggle for Texas Inde-
pendence, and was at the storming and recapture
of the Alamo on the 10th of December, 1835,
and was in the Grass fight and other engage-
ments which resulted in the Independence of
Texas."

He was a Mason and Odd Fellow. His death
was a great loss, not only to his family, but to the
country.



GEORGE W. GLASSCOCK, JR.,

GEORGETOWN.



Hon. George W. Glasscock^ Jr., was born Janu-
ary 10, 1845, in Travis County, Texas, where he
was reared, and resided until 1879, when he moved
to Georgetown, in Williamson County, where he
ha;s since resided. He served as county attorney of
Williamson County in 1879-80; was elected county
judge in 1880, and re-elected in 1882, and in 1884
was elected to the State Senate from the Twenty-
fourth District, composed of the counties of Travis,
Williamson and Burnet (" capitol district") and
was re-elected to the Senate in 1888. He is the
only man born in the district who has represented
it in the State Legislature. He served in the Senate
during the sessions of the Nineteenth, Twentieth,
Twenty-first and Twenty-second Legislatures. In
the Nineteenth Legislature he was a member of the
Senate Committee on Public Buildings and Grounds.
At that time the construction of the new capitol
was in progress and it was perhaps the most im-
portant committee of the session. He was Chair-
man of the Senate Committee on Education during
the sessions of the Twentieth and Twenty-second
Legislatures. Considering the interests to be
guarded, this position was also one of great
responsibility.

At least $2,500,000 of school money was being
expended annually by the State of Texas. The
permanent fund amounted to $7,000,000 in securi-
ties ; about 25,000,000 acres of school lands that re-
mained unsold and about $10,000,000 in land notes.

No chairman of the Committee on Education
ever labored more zealously or effectively to guard
this rich heritage, designed by the wise statesman-



ship of former years to descend to and bless many
passing generations. His labors and accomplish-
ments in other directions were equally patriotic,
painstaking and productive of good and lasting
results. He made a record second to that of none of
his colleagues. He is a clear thinker and graceful
and powerful speaker and would make his influence
felt in any popular assemblage or legislative body.
In public life he has, in the support or opposition
that he has offered to pending measures, been guided
alone by a desire to secure the greatest good to the
greatest number, to protect the weak and restrain
and, if possible, prevent the injustice of the power-
ful and rapacious. He served in the Confederate
army during the war between the States as a mem-
ber of Duff's Thirty-third Texas Cavalry, Gano's
brigade. Walker's division, and made a gallant and
faithful soldier. He is a member of the Missionary
Baptist Church, Past Grand Master of the Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows, and a Knight Tem-
plar and a member of the Ancient Arabic Order of
the Mystic Shrine in Masonry, being a member of
Colorado Commandery No. 4, at Austin, and of
Ben Hur Temple of the Mystic Shrine at Austin.
He was united in marriage to Miss J. H. Boatner,
a daughter of Mr. J. R. Boatner, at Tennessee
Colony, Anderson County, Texas, on the 19th day
of March, 1865.

As a private citizen he has managed his business
affairs so as to be in independent circumstances
and is public-spirited, often giving of his time and
means to enterprises inaugurated for the building
up of the country.




DR. M. A. TAYLOE.



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



275



M. A. TAYLOR, M. D.,

AUSTIN.



Dr. M. A. Taylor was born at Columbus, Ohio,
November 12, 1830. His father was of Scotch, his
mother of English, descent.

His grandfather, Matthew Taylor, emigrated to
America before the Revolution (1760) and settled
with his large family near Richmond, Va., and
after the War for Independence purchased large
land claims from the Virginia soldiers. This land
had been set apart by act of Congress and certifi-
cates issued therefor. He purchased these certifi-
cates in quantities and located the land in Ohio,
between the Scioto river on the east and the Miami
on the southwest. He removed to this land and
settled on the spot where the flourishing city of
Chillicothe now stands.

Dr. Taylor's father, also named Matthew, was an
officer in the War of 1811-12 under command of
Gen. Wm. H. Harrison, and was promoted to the
rank of Colonel as a reward for conspicuous gal-
lantry. Col. Taylor was stationed for a time at
Franklin, on the south side of the Scioto river, the
county seat of Franklin County, Ohio, and during
the winter he and an uncle (John Taylor) and
Lyon Starling, laid off the site where now stands
the city of Columbus, on the east bank of the
Scioto, and here through their efforts and the active
interest and co-operation of State Senator John
McKnight (father-in-law of Col. Taylor) the State
capital was subsequently located.

Dr. Taylor, the subject of this memoir, was the
youngest of a family of five children, three sons
and two daughters. The sons were in the order of
their respective ages: John McKnight, Harvey
Milton and Matthew Addison; the daughters,
Rebecca, who became the wife of Jesse Cherry, and
Elizabeth, who married William Watkins.

Col. Taylor upon retiring from military life en-
gaged in the peaceful pursuits of milling and
farming. He died December 28, 1832. His widow,
a lady of great force of character and deep piety,
survived him something more than six years, dying
in March, 1839.

Dr. Taylor, thus left an orphan when nine years
of age, went to live with his oldest sister, Mrs.
Rebecca Cherry ; remained with her for two years
and then Matthew Taylor (a second cousin of his
father, and uncle by marriage to the lad) having
been appointed guardian, he thereafter lived with
him at his home near Columbus. He had been



placed at school during his stay with his sister and
his guardian also gave him the benefit of school
advantages, entering him as a pupil in the district
school, where he remained for two years and then
entered the high school conducted by the celebrated
instructor. Rev. Mr. Covert, and two years later
matriculated at the University of Oxford, Ohio,
where he finished his literary education. In 1846,
at the age of sixteen, he entered the office of his
brother. Dr. Harvey Taylor, and commenced the
study of medicine and, later, his brother being
honored by a call to a position on the staff of Gen.
Winfield Scott, studied under Dr. W. H. Howard,
professor of surgery at Starling Medical College.
To be a private pupil of Dr. Howard was a dis-
tinction which gave additional stimulus to the
student's ambition and he applied himself to the
acquisition of knowledge with such zeal and inter-
est that in a short time he was pronounced suflOi- ,
ciently advanced to enter college, and accordingly,
matriculated at Starling Medical College, and, after
two courses of lectures, was graduated M. D. in ■
1849, at the age of nineteen years. He had shown
such proficiency in his studies, especially in
applied anatomy, that at the suggestion of his dis-
tinguished preceptor, he was retained some months
as prosector for the chair of surgery and to make
dissections for the demonstrator. He then chose



Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 52 of 135)