John Henry Brown.

Indian wars and pioneers of Texas online

. (page 65 of 135)
Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 65 of 135)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ing as their object the development and upbuilding
of the portion of the State in which he lives.

He was married December 17. 1857, to Miss
Annie E. Surghnor, daughter of John Surghnor, of
Leesburg, Loudoun County, Va. To them have
been born six children, all of whom are living, viz. :
William iKIennedy, now City Attorney at Belton ;
Walter Cupples, engaged in newspaper work ;
Kathleen Shelly, wife of John T. Smither, a promi-
nent business man of Temple, Texas ; X. B.
Saunders, Jr. ; Wilson M. Saunders ; and Imogene
Mariam. Some of the family are members of the
Methodist and others of the Presbyterian church,
Judge Saunders has for many years been a 32°
member of the Masonic fraternity and is Past Emi-
nent Commander of Belton Commandery, No. 23,
K. T. , of which he was one of the organizers. He
has also been Deputy Grand Chancellor of Belton
Lodge No. 51, K. of P.



344



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



ELBERT L. GREGG,



RUSK.



Elbert L. Gregg, one of the best known lawyers
and financiers la Texas, was born in Greene County,
Tenn., February 20, 1840.

His parents were Marshall W. and Alpha Gregg,
of that county, where they lived and died. Eight
children were born to them, seven of whom are now
living. The subject of this notice attended local
schools and completed his education at excellent
colleges in his native State.

During the war between the States he entered
the Confederate army as a private soldier in Capt.
T. S. Eumbough's company and was afterwards ap-
pointed Adjutant of the Sixty-fifth North Carolina
Regiment of Cavalry with which he served in West
Virginia, East Tennessee, and Kentucky, part of
the time discharging the duties of Provost Mar-
shal.

At the close of hostilities he returned home, like
many others, to find himself completely impover-
ished, and determined to go to a new field and take
up the tangled threads of life anew. He accord-
ingly came to Texas and in 1867, formed a co-
partnership with Mr. R. H. Guinn, at Rusk, Texas,
under the firm name of Guinn & Gregg, and
entered actively upon the practice of his profession.
Possessed of talents, eminently fitting him for suc-
cess at the bar, he rose rapidly and soon enjoyed a
lucrative practice and an enviable ireputation as a
learned lawyer, and skillful practitioner. The con-
nection with Mr. Guinn continued for about nine-



teen years. After Mr. Guinn's death, Mr. Gregg
formed a copartnership with Ex-State Senator
Robert H. Morris, which continued until Mr.
Morris became an invalid and retired from
practice.

In July, 1890, Mr. Gregg organized the First
National Bank at Rusk, and has since been its
president and principally devoted his attention to
financial matters, although continuing to act as
counsel in important law cases.

He was one of the commissioners whom Governor
• Coke appointed to locate the branch of the State
penitentiary now established at Rusk and has per-
formed many other services that have resulted in
advantage to the town and section in which he
lives.

He has been twice married. His first marriage
was in 1876 to Mrs. Kate Bonner, who died in 1880,
and bore him two children, one of whom, Elbert
M., is now living; and his second, in 1882, to his
present wife, nee Miss Bettie Dickenson, of Chero-
kee County, a great-granddaughter of one of the
signers of the Declaration of Independence. Five
children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Gregg,
viz. : Nellie, Florence, Josephine, Luray Will, and
Eldridge R., all of whom are living except Luray
Will, who died in 1892, of bronchitis.

Mr. Gregg owns a large amount of real estate
and is one of the infiuential and representative men
of the section of the State in which he resides.



WILLIAM PINKNEY McLEAN,

FORT WORTH.



Hon. W. P. McLean, ex-member of Congress,
ex-District Judge, ex-member of the State Railroad
Commission and for many years past a distinguished
lawyer in this State, was born in Hinds County,
Miss., August 9, 1836. His parents were Allen F.
and Ann Rose McLean. His father died in 1838 and
his mother came to Texas in 1839 and settled in that
part of Bowie County now embraced within the
limits of the county of Marion.



The subject of this notice attended schools in
Cass County and Marshall, Texas, and completed
his education at the University of North Carolina,
at Chappel Hill, where he was graduated in the class
of 1857. After graduating he studied law and was
admitted to the bar.

Judge McLean served as a member of the Texas
Legislature, in 1861 and 1869; was a member of
the Forty-third Congress, a member of the Con-




L. W. GOODRICH.



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



345



stitutional Convention of 1875 and Judge of the
Fifth Judicial District from 1884 to 1888 and in 1891
was appointed by Governor James S. Hogg a mem-
ber of the State Railroad Commission, a position
which he held until October, 1894, when he tendered
his resignation in order to resume the practice of
his profession at Fort Worth, where he now resides
and is a member of the law firm of Humphreys &
McLean.

At the beginning of the war between the States
he resigned his seat in the Texas Legislature and en-
listed in the Confederate army as a private in Com-
pany D., Nineteenth Texas Infantry, and, owing to
gallant and eflScient service, was soon made Adjutant
of the regiment and later Adjutant-General of the
Third Brigade, Walker's Division, with the rank of



Major of Cavalry. Judge McLean is a Royal Arch
Mason and a member of the Knights of Honor. He
was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Batte.
They have eight children: Annie, Ida, Thomas
Rusk, Jefferson Davis, William Pinkney, Maggie,
John Howell, and Bessie.

Judge McLean has been an active Democratic
worker and has often canvassed for the principles
and nominees of his party. He made an enviable
record as asoldier, member of the Legislature, mem-
ber of Congress, member of the Constitutional
Convention, District Judge and member of the
State Railroad Commission, and is a man of uncom-
mon ability and learning. As a lawyer he Las few
equals at the bar and few men have a wider circle
of friends.



L. W. GOODRICH,

WACO.



Honorable L. W. Goodrich was born May 31,
1836, in Loraine County, Ohio. His parents emi-
grated from Massachusetts to Ohio in 1833, and in
1845 moved back to the former State, and Pittsfield,
Mass., became the permanent home of the family.
The subject of our sketch attended school in
Pittsfield at various times until 1854, at which time
he entered Norwich University, Vt, where he
pursued the studies included in the scientific course
of that institution until 1855, when he returned to
his home at Pittsfield. The following May he went
to Chicago and from there to Wisconsin, where he
was employed as civil engineer and surveyor. He
later followed the same occupation in Illinois.

In the fall of 1859 he came overland, on horse-
back, through Missouri and Arkansas to Texas.
Locating in Brown County, on the very outskirts
of civilization, he began teaching school, and in
1860 was elected District Surveyor of that district.
At the commencement of the war between the
States he joined what was afterwards known as
McCulloch's regiment and was with the force that
took possession of the military posts on the Texas
frontier in February, 1861. Shortly afterwards the
command was organized into a regiment under a
commission issued by the Confederate government
to Ben McCulloch. Henry McCuUoch became
Colonel of the regiment and T.C. Frost, Lieutenant-
Colonel. The command of the regiment sub-



sequently devolved on the latter, and by him the
subject of this notice was appointed Adjutant. In
1863, Judge Goodrich became Captain of Company
G. , Thirtieth Texas Cavalry, and in that capacity
, served in Texas, Arkansas and the Indian Terri-
tory, until the close of hostilities. Although
wounded, he passed through the fiery ordeal
without sustaining permanent injury.

Immediately after the close of the war he
engaged in school teaching at Robinson, McLen-
nan County, and also took up the study of law,
which he prosecuted with diligence. He was
admitted to practice by the District Court at Waco
in May, 1866, and since that time has followed his
profession in McLennan and Falls counties. In
June, 1890, he was appointed Judge of the Nine-
teenth District and in November of the same year
was elected to that position, and has since contin-
uously held that office. He was admitted to prac-
tice in the Supreme Court of Texas In 1871, and in
the Supreme Court of the United States in 1875,
and has appeared in both courts in some of the
most important civil suits, involving titles to land,
that have arisen in the section of the State in which
he resides.

He was married in February, 1869, to Miss Alice
Battle, daughter of Judge N. W. Battle, and has
eight children : Frank Battle, now in the employ-
ment of the Texas Central Railway Co., as civil



346



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



engineer; Abigail, Nicli Whitney, Maria, Mary,
Alice, Levi, and Thomas E.

The family name of Goodrich, formerly Goodric
or Godric, is Saxon, and some members of the
family, particularly S. G. Goodrich, known to the
children of the last generation as Peter Parley and
to all lovers of good literature as the author of the
inimitable " Beeollections of A Life Time," have
inerested themselves in tracing the history of the
family. Briefly stated it is as follows: Three
brothers of the name left England in Cromwell's
time and came to the American colonies, where they



settled, one in New England, one in Virginia, and
one in South Carolina. Their decendants are
numerous and widely scattered. Like many of the
families that found homes in New England at that
period, the Goodrich family were not Puritans and
unlike many families that came to this country then,
they did not return to England after the restoration
in 1688.

On the bench Judge Goodrich is very careful
and painstaking in the trial of causes, and is
an able lawyer; his rulings are very seldom re-
versed.



JOHN H. TRAYLOR,

DALLAS.



John Henry Traylor was born at Traylorsville,
Henry County, Va., March 27, 1839. His ancestors
were of French Huguenot extraction, and the first
of the name in the Colony of Virginia of which the
records make mention, was William Traylor, who
was called a " planter" and was licensed towed in
Henrico County, December, 1695. Peter Jones,
from whom Petersburg, Va., derived its name, was
surety on his marriage bond. He had a grant of
about 3,000 acres of land from the Crown, situated
just opposite to the present site of the city of Peters-
burg, on the north side of the Appomatox river, in
that part of Henrico, which is now Chesterfield
County. His grandson, Humphrey Traylor, was
the great-grandfather of the subject of this sketch,
and was an active participant in the Revolutionary
War, and died in Diniwiddie County, Va., in 1802.

The grandfather of John H. Traylor was Eev.
John C. Traylor, who was born in Henrico County,
Va., in 1788. He was licensed an elder in the M.
E. Church by Bishop McKendre, at Lynchburg,
Va. , in 1815 ; he led an exemplary and useful life,
dying in Troup County, Ga., in 1856.

The father of John H. Traylor was Robert B.
Traylor, who was a Southern planter, and took an
active interest in all public and political questions,
was a member of the Georgia Legislature at seventy-
five years of age, and died in Troup County, Ga.
in 1893.

Jno. H. Traylor was reared and educated in
Troup County, Ga., where the family is prominent
as in Virginia. He enlisted in Company B., Fourth
Georgia Regiment, in 1861, and served during the



entire war in the army of Northern Virginia, and
was in all the prominent battles in Virginia, Mary-
land and Pennsylvania. He was wounded at the
battles of Warrenton, Spottsylvania Court House
and Chancellorsville. He was wounded in the lat-
ter battle, and his only brother killed, on Saturday
evening. May 2, 1863, near the same time and place
where Stonewall Jackson received his death-wound.
He was with Jackson during the entire day, in the
capacity of sharpshooter and scout, and was in a
few yards of him when he was shot. Later on he
was appointed Quartermaster of the ordnance of
of Gen. Early's corps. He came to Texas in 1867,
and located at Jefferson, where he followed mer-
chandising. He was married to Miss Pauline
Lockettin 1969, and removed to Granbury, in Hood
County, in 1871, where he engaged in selling and
locating lands till 1875. He surveyed many thou-
sand acres in Hood, Parker, Palo Pinto and more
western counties, often coming in dangerous prox-
imity to the Comanche and Kiowa Indians, who
visited these frontier counties monthly in quest of
horses, which were disposed of at Fort Sill, and
more northern frontier posts. These savages
usually made their raids in the light of the moon,
and their monthly visits were not considered doubt-
ful ; hence, the surveyors took the precaution to
have early supper and remove a mile or so from
their camp-fire, and lariat their horses, and sleep
in some retired spot, every one being at all times
armed. Mr. Traylor was elected Sheriff and Tax
Collector of Hood County, February, 1876, under the
new Constitution and re-elected in November, 1878.



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



347



In November, 1881, he was elecled to the Seven-
teenth Legislature, from the counties of Hood, Som-
ervell and Bosque. Although a new member be
■was an active and eflBcient legislator and is said to
have introduced and passed more bills than any
other member, save one.

He was the author of the bill " providing for
designating and setting apart three hundred leagues
of land out of the unappropriated public domain for
the benefit of the unorganized counties of the State,
and to provide for the survey and location of the
same" (see H. J., p. 128 q.); also bills regu-
lating sheriffs' fees, tax sales, etc.

At the extra session of 1882, he was the chairman
of the sub-committee of senatorial and represent-
ative districts in the re-apportionment of the State,
and did much arduous labor in this work. He also
introduced and passed bills to amend the law
reducing the maximum rate of passenger-fare from
five to three cents per mile (see H. J., p. 5,
1882), and the " act to repeal all laws granting land
or land-certificates to any person, firm or corpora-
tion or company for the construction of railroads,
canals and ditches." (See H. J., p. 22, Act 1882.)

In November, 1883, he was elected by a large
majority to the Senate from the Thirtieth Senatorial
District, composed of the counties of Hood, Somer-
vell, Bosque, Erath and Palo Pinto.

He was well posted in land matters and the Senate
journals will show that his knowledge was very
thorough in shaping land legislation, which, with
its various 'features of sale, lease and other dispo-
sition, was the great and perplexing question of
the day. The Eighteenth and Nineteenth Legisla-
tures permanently adjusted these, and all collateral
questions.

there being no provision for paying officers' fees
in felony cases unless conviction was had, Mr.
Traylor contended that the result was a lax enforce-
ment of the criminal laws, and, hence, introduced
and passed a bill providing for the payment of fees
to county and district officers in felony cases (see
S. J., p. 16, 1883); also a bill providing for the
, payment of attached witnesses in felony cases (see
S. J., 1883, p. 46).

He was very active and efficient in questions per-
taining to school and public lands, public roads,
penitentiaries, officials' fees, the new eapitol, the
State finances, and all matters relating to the ad-
ministration of the State government. He opposed
with great earnestness and success the fifteen-year
lease of the penitentiary convicts entered into by
the administration.

Just before the extra session met in 1884 to
prevent, or rather, quell, the war between the pas-



ture men and the fence-cutters, he published an
interview outlining the conditions of adjustment,
which was copied by the papers throughout the
State, and practically enacted into law during the
extra session. This was probably the most difficult
question that ever confronted the Legislature, as it
involved unlawful fencing and its penalties, herd-
ing, line-riding, the lease and sale of the school
and public lands, public roads, free grass, fence-
cutting and the penalties, and the grazing of sheep,
cattle and horses on the State's lands, or the lands
of another person. After a long and bitter contest
in both houses and between the two houses, the
whole question was settled on February 5th, 1884,
by the second Free Conference Committee, com-
posed of Jno. H. Traylor and John Young Gooch,
on the part of the Senate, and A. T. McKinney and
A. M. Taylor on the part of the House (see S. J.,
p. 118).

He was Chairman of the Finance Committee of
the Senate in the Nineteenth Legislature, and left his
impress on most of the important legislation during
that time, especially those measures pertaining to
the appropriations for the State government. He
was author of the act " to provide for the issuance
and sale of the bonds of the State to supply the
deficiencies in the revenue" (see S. J. 1885, p.
42); also an act "to provide for the correction
and revision of the abstract of located, patented
and titled lands, (see S. J. 1885, p. 97), and sev-
eral other less important measures. He served two
years in the House and four in the Senate, where
he made a State-wide reputation as a wise, prudent
and far-seeing legislator. His recognized ability se-
cured him important positions on the various Legis-
lative Committees, and since retiring from public
life, his name has often received favorable mention
for various State offices, including chief executive.

Mr. Traylor has much of the character of the
Virginian of fifty years ago in his composition.
He has a profound sense of the importance of some
counteracting agency to the inordinate desire for
accumulating and laying up treasure ; this danger-
ous tendency of the age he believes if allowed to
prevail, will make our people degenerate, will sever
the moral ties which unite us to our forefathers,
and take away all zest from the contemplation of
the great performances achieved by them. He is a
member of the Virginia Historical Society, has
traveled much in the United States and Europe and
is very fond of the antiquated and historical. He
is now a successful business man of Dallas, well
and widely known for his good practical sense and
his association with commercial and benevolent
movements.



348



INDIAN WAES AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



R. B. PARROTT,



WACO.



K. B. Parrott was born in Amherst County, Va.,
in October, 1848. His father, William J. Parrott,
died in 1893. His mother, nee Miss Jane C.
Blanks, was a niece of the founder of the Smith-
sonian Institute.

Mr. Parrott entered the University of Virginia
before he was fourteen years of age, and was the
youngest student who ever matriculated at that
great college, before or since. WheiT the war
came on he i-an away from college, having been
there only six months, joined the Southern troops
under Col. Mosby and served through the war as a
non-commissioned offlcer. December 24, 1864, he
was captured and taken to Boston Harbor, where
he was kept in confinement with Hon. Alex. H.
Stephens. He was released June 16, 1865.

After the war he returned to Virginia and
engaged with a large commission house in Eich-
mond, in which he was "on 'change." He was
the youngest man on 'change in the city and car-
ried off first premium on best sales every year that
he was there. In 1872, he came to Texas and set-
tled in Waco and at once identified himself with
the interests of that city and of the State. He
embarked in the insurance business, which he has
successfully continued. He is now the general
manager for Texas, Arkansas and the Pacific Slope
of the Provident Savings Life Insurance Company
of New York. While in California he projected
the novel and effective scheme for advertising
Texas land by moving-cars. He was largely instru-
mental in causing the organization of the Texas
and Real-Estate Association, he having first sug-
gested and urged the organization before the Waco
Board of Trade, of which he is president. He is
also president of the Provident Investment Company
which owns a valuable suburban addition to the
city. He has been honored by the bishop of the
diocese by appointment as one of the trustees of
the University of the South, at Sewanee, Tenn.
During the World's Fair he filled the position of
chairman of the Texas World's Fair Committee.
It was through his influence that the Provident
Savings Life Insurance Co. erected in Waco one of
the most complete and magnificent oflflce buildings
in the South. He has always taken an active
interest in the cause of popular education. He
was chairman of the School Committee of the city
of Waco for a number of years and has done much



to bring the schools up to their present state of
eflaciency. The nearest approach to a political
office he ever consented to accept was a position on
Governor Hubbard's staff, with the rank of Col-
onel.

Owing to his efforts and those of S. W. Slayden
and others, a splendid natatorium was built in
Waco, one of the first, if not the first, constructed
in Texas. It is located on Fourth street, near the
Pacific Hotel, and cost $75,000.

Col. Parrott was united in marriage, June 12,
1873, to Miss Alice Farmer Downs, the accomplished
daughter of W. W. Downs. They reside at the
old homestead of Maj. Downs, a beautiful and
historic home on South Third street. Their union
has been blessed with six children: Charles B.,
Rosa, Alice, Robert B., Jr., Willie, and Lillian.
Rosa died at the age of three years.

Col. Parrott is a member of the Masonic, Elks
and Knights of Pythias fraternities.

During the Hogg-Clark campaign he championed
the cause of George Clark and was indefatigable in
his efforts to secure his nomination and then to
elect him. He was called unanimously to the
leadership of the Prohibition forces and the
work accomplished by him shows how well he
discharged the duties of the trust confided to
him.

Few men have contributed more to the pros-
perity of Texas, and especially of Waco, than Col.
Parrott. His great efforts have been to introduce
into the State a cheaper system of life insurance
than that of the old lines, which drained the State
of money. After years of struggle against bitter
opposition and obstacles that would have crushed a
less resolute man, he has been eminently successful
and has saved millions of dollars to the people and
has greatly aided in advancing the material pros-
perity and development of the State.

A pleasing phase of Col. Parrott's work in Texas,
is its pure disinterestedness. He has no political
aspirations and there is no official position which
he could be induced to accept. He is a man of
fine physique, digniSed in his bearing and pleasing
in address. He is broad and cosmopolitan in his
views and strong in his advocacy of what he be-
lieves to be right. He stands high in the estima-
tion of the people of the State and of the city
in which he dwells.




R. B. PAEROTT.




WALTER GRESHA.M.



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



349



WALTER GRESHAM,

GALVESTON.



Walter Gresham, ex- member of the Texas Leg-
islature, ex-member of Congress and a widely known
lawyer and financier, was born in King and Queen
County, Va. Although very young at the com-
mencement of the war, he enlisted as a soldier in
Lee's Rangers, commanded by Gen. W. H. F. Lee,
son of Gen. Robert E. Lee, and afterwards served
in Company H., Twenty-fourth Virginia Cavalry,
and other regiments. He fought under Gen. Jeb
Stewart; was with Stonewall Jackson in 1862; took
part in most of the battles fought by the army of
Northern Virginia, and, at last, stood with the
devoted band that surrendered with Lee at Appo-
matox. The Secretary of War of the Confederate
States gave him permission to complete his educa-
tion at the University of Virginia. In ihe Summer
of 1863 he graduated from the law department of
that institntion, and the following summer rejoined
his command in the field. His grandfather, Thomas
Gresham, was a noted lawyer of Essex Count}', Va.
His father, Edward Gresham, studied law and pro-
cured license ; but, possessing a large estate that
required much of his attention, and not being



Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 65 of 135)