John Henry Brown.

Indian wars and pioneers of Texas online

. (page 71 of 135)
Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 71 of 135)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


In 1850, upon the recommendation of the judges
of the Supreme Court, and others, he was ap-
pointed United States District Attorney for the
District of Texas, and discharged the duties of that
office with characteristic efficiency. In the same
year he was married to Miss Hallie P. Jack,
daughter of William H. Jack, lawyer, statesman
and soldier of Texas long before " its birih as a



nation." In 1854 he entered into that long endur-
ing and mutually fortunate copartnership with his
brother-in-law, Col. Thos. M. Jack, which made
the firm name of Ballinger & Jack so broad in its
fame, and so conspicuous in the annals of the bar.
The memories of lawyers and of judges, the reports
of the appellate courts, the records of the trial
courts, the traditions of the people — all testify to
the impress made upon their times of this emi-
nent association of learning and eloquence. After
many years these gentlemen admitted to partner-
ship Hon. Marcus F. Mott, and the firm style
became Ballinger, Jack & Mott. Col. Jack dying,
the survivors associated with themselves Mr. J. W.
Terry, under the style of Ballinger, Mott & Terry.
Later, upon the assumption by Mr. Terry of the
attorneyship of the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe
Railroad Company, the new Arm of Ballinger, Mott
& Ballinger was formed, composed of Judge Bal-
linger, Mr. Mott and Mr. Thomas Jack Ballinger,
only son of the senior, and was dissolved only by
the latter' s death.

The subject of our sketch was tendered a justice-
ship of the State Supreme Court, by Governor E.
J. Davis, in 1871, but declined it; and again, in
1874, was appointed to the bench of that court by
Governor Coke ; but, constrained by the demands
of his private engagements, he resigned the office
upon the very day of his confirmation. In 1877,
he was recommended by the Governor and all the
judges of the higher courts, and by the Texas
delegation in Congress, for appointment by the
President to the vacancy on the bench of the
Supreme Court of the United States, caused by
the resignation of Judge Davis; but sectional
spirit was too powerful at Washington to admit of
his nomination to that high post. In 1879, Gov-
ernor Roberts tendered him the office of Com-
missioner of Appeals, but he could not be induced
to accept it.

With the hope of rendering service to the State,
he was prevailed upon to serve as a member of the
Convention which framed the State constitution of
1876, and found his fitting sphere of labor as a
member of the Judiciary Committee of that body.
His views on many important questions were not in
accord with those entertained by a majority of the
Convention. He was opposed to an elective judi-
ciary, as baneful and corrupting to the administra-



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



377



tion of law ; to short terms and inadequate salaries,
believing that the tenure and compensation of
judges should be such as to place them above the
methods of the hustings and secure them against
the cruelties of poverty, and to invite the best
equipped and most efficient lawyers to the service
of the State. Failing to affect the Convention with
these convictions, he opposed the constitution
adopted by that body and voted against it at the
polls.

A Whig so long as the Whig party maintained dis-
tinctive organization, Judge Ballinger always ad-
hered to its main political tenets. Opposed to
secession, yet, when it had been accomplished, his
heart turned with devotion to his own people and
with them he resisted to the last the war made upon
the South by the Federal government. One of a
committee sent to Richmond by the people of Gal-
veston to obtain the armament necessary to the
defense of their city, he was, while on this mission,
appointed Confederate States Receiver, and served
as such until the war ended. With Col. Ashbcl
Smith, he was, after the surrender of Gen. Lee's
army, sent bj' Governor Murrah to New Orleans to
negotiate for surrender by the State and to prevent,
if possible, its occupation by the Federal army.
Returning to Galveston, he resumed the practice of
law, devoting himself to it faithfully until his death.
Although out of politics in the sense of seeking its
emoluments, he maintained a hearty interest in all
public questions, and valued, as one of the dearest
attaching to citizenship, his right of free suffrage.
While independent in his consideration and judg-
ment of political measures, he voted with the
Democratic party.



Perhaps no lawyer of Texas ever gave greater
labor and more distinctive devotion to the science
and practice of the law than he ; or more proudly
realized the power, usefelness, ends and majesty
of that science ; or gathered more abundantly
of its rewards and honors, or deserved them
more.

Sagacious as an adviser ; laborious and exhaus-
tive in preparation, taking nothing for granted and
yielding not to the unproved dicta of names howso-
ever imposing; spirited and uncompromising in ad-
vocacy; learned in the reason and ia the philosophy
of the law, as few men are, he brought to the ser-
vice of his clients and to the aid of the courts a
professional equipment furnished with every weapon
of forensic conflict.

To his fellows of the bar he habitually manifested
that warmth of personal interest and concern so
engaging and grateful between associates in the
same profession, and they respected him as a lawyer
not more than they admired him as a companion and
prized him as a friend.

Fitted by fortune, inclination and personal ac-
complishments for the gracious arts of hospitality,
nothing pleased him more than the presence of
friends at his lovely and typical Southern home ;
and it may be doubted whether any member of the
bar of Texas ever imposed upon others so many
and so delightful social obligations.

A gentleman whose reading and reflections were
unconflned by the limitations of his favorite science,
but who touched life and thought at all points, the
charm of his fireside talks made his guests forgetful
that the law was still the exacting mistress of his
life's toil and ambition.



E. H. TERRELL,



SAN ANTONIO.



Edwin Holland Terrell, of San Antonio, lately
United States Minister to Belgium, comes from a
well-known Virginia family, and was born at Brook-
ville, Ind., November 21st, 1848. He is the son of
Rev. Williamson Terrell, D. D., one of the most
popular and widely-known ministers in the Metho-
dist Church in Indiana years ago.

Mr. Terrell's great-grandfather, Henry Terrell,
removed from Virginia to Kentucky in 1787, and
was prominently identified with the early political



history of that State. Mr. Terrell's grandmother
was a sister of Chilton Allan, one of Kentucky's
famous lawyers, who represented the Ashland Dis-
trict in Congress for many years after Henry Clay
had been promoted to the Senate.

The grandfather of Edwin H. Terrell, Capt.
John Terrell, was a gallant and conspicuous officer
in the campaigns against the Indians shortly after
the Revolution, and was present at Harmar's and
St. Clair's defeats, and also took part in Wayne's



378



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



victory over the Miamis iat the Maumee Eapids,
August 20, 1794.

Edwin H.^Terrell graduated in 1871 atDe Pauw
University, Indiana, having won the first or valedic-
tory honors of a class of thirty-three members. He
afterwards pursued his legal studies at Harvard
University, where he received his degree of L.L.B.
in 1873. He subsequently spent a year in travel



prominently identified with the growth and pros-
perity of San Antonio, having been actively con-
nected with many of the public and most progressive
movements of that enterprising Southern city.

Since his removal to the South Mr. Terrell has
always taken a prominent part in the councils of
the Republican party in this State. He was a dele-
gate to the Republican National Conventions at




and study in Europe, attending for a time the lec-
tures at the Ecole de Droit of the Sorbonne at
Paris.

Mr. Terrell returned to the United States in 1874,
and entered upon the practice of the law at Indian-
apolis, being a member of the firm of Barbour,
Jacobs and Terrell for some years.

In 1877 Mr. TerrelKremoved to San Antonio,
Texas, which is still his home. He has been



Chicago in 1880 and 1888, and in the latter was one
of the honorary secretaries and was selected as one,
of the members of the Committee of Notification.
In 1889, when President Harrison nominated
Mr. Terrell as the U. S. Minister to Belgium, the
San Antonio Daily Express (Dem.) said editori-
ally :-

"In appointing Mr. Terrell to the Belgian min-
istry. President Harrison secured the services of a



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



379



gentleman, and a sober, reliable, competent, pains-
taking business man — one who has been a North-
erner, and was never a carpet-bagger ; who has
been a Republican, and was never a 'radical;'
who has lived in the South, and was never spit
upon because of his nativity; who has exercised
his political rights, and was never bulldozed or
shot-gunned ; who is able to give a good account of
himself and the people among whom he has resided.
His selection reflects credit upon him, and upon
the administration which knew enough to choose
him."

After Minister Terrell's arrival at Brussels in
May, 1889, he had much important diplomatic work
submitted to his attention, and during his four
years' diplomatic experience took part in several
noted conferences.

In 1891 he obtained the removal by the Belgian
government of the onerous and discriminating quar-
antine regulations which had been applied to live
stock shipped from the United States to Belgium
and which had practically destroyed that Industry
in the latter country.

Mr. Terrell was Plenipotentiary on the part of
the United States to the International Conference
on the Slave Trade, which was in session at Brus-
sels from November, 1889, to July, 1890, and which
drew up the "Slave Trade Treaty," or what is
diplomatically known as the " General Act of Brus-
sels." In January, 1892, Secretary Blaine sum-
moned Mr. Terrell to Washington to assist him in
connection with the matter of the ratification of
this treaty, then pending in the Senate and sub-
sequently ratified.

In July, 1890, Mr. Terrell was special Plenipo-
tentiary for the United States in the International
Conference which met at Brussels and drafted the
treaty for the publication of the customs-tariffs
of most of the countries of the world, which treaty
was afterwards ratified by our Government.

In November and December, 1890, Mr. Terrell
represented the United States on what is known as
the Oommission Technique, an outgrowth of the
Anti-Slavery Conference, which elaborated a tariff
system for the Conventional Basin of the Congo, as
defined in the Treaty of Berlin of 1885.

In this special commission the United States had
Important commercial interests at stake, and during
its sessions, Mr. Terrell obtained a formal declara-



tion, agreed to by all the interested powers having
possessions in the Congo basin and by all the ratify-
ing powers of the Berlin treaty, guaranteeing to
the United States and its citizens all the commer-
cial rights, privileges and immunities in the entire
conventional basin of the Congo, possessed by the
signatory powers of the Treaty of Berlin.

In 189 1 Mr. Terrell negotiated with King Leo-
pold a treaty of " amity, commerce and naviga-
tion" between the United States and the Congo
State, which was subsequently ratified by the
President and Senate.

In 1892 Mr. Terrell was appointed one of the
delegates on the part of the United States to the
International Monetary Conference at Brussels, and
on its assembling he was selected as its vice-presi-
dent. He delivered, on the part of the members
of the Conference, the reply in French to the
address of welcome pronounced by Prime Minister
Beernaert of Belgium.

Ex-Minister Terrell is a gentleman of scholarly
tastes and accomplishments and possesses a thor-
ough and speaking knowledge of the French lan-
guage. In his new and elegant residence lately
constructed near the military headquarters at San
Antonio he has one of the largest and most care-
fully selected libraries in the State of Texas.

In 1892 De Pauw University conferred upon Mr.
Terrell the honorary degree of LL.D.

October 1, 1893, after his return to the United
States and to private life, Mr. Terrell received by
royal decree of King Leopold II. of Belgium, the
decoration of "Grand Officer of the Order of
Leopold," an honor rarely conferred and one
which indicated the highest personal esteem of the
King and the successful character of Mr. Terrell's
mission.

In 1874 Mr. Terrell married Miss Mary Maverick,
daughter of the late Samuel A. Maverick, one of
the founders of the Republic of Texas and promi-
nent in the history of San Antonio and Western
Texas. Mrs. Terrell died in 1890 at the U. S.
Legation at Brussells, leaving a family of six
children.

In 1895 Mr. Terrell was married to Miss Lois
Lasater, daughter of the late Albert Lasater and
niece of Col. E. H. Cunningham, the well-known
sugar planter of Southeastern Texas.



380



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



CHARLES LEWIS,

HEARNE, ROBERTSON COUNTY.



Although a uumber of settlers had taken up
their abode within the present limits of Robertson
County previous to the Revolution of 1835-6 and
others "continued to do so during the succeeding
years of the Republic, it was not until a much
later date that the Brazos portion of the county
began to fill with that thrifty class of planters
whose intelligent and well directed labors did so
much towards developing the wonderfully rich soil
of that section and in giving to the county the
excellent reputation for agriculture which it has
, since enjoyed.

The year 3852 is marked in the history of the
State as the one during which occurred the great-
est immigration, previous to the late war. Rob-
ertson County received its proportion of that
immigration, and from that year dates the advent
in the county of many who were afterwards dis-
tinguished for their thrift, wealth and good
citizenship. Of this number was the late Charles
Lewis, of Hearne.

Mr. Lewis was born in Farmington, Conn.,
April 14, 1822. His father was Calvin Lewis, and
his mother bore the maiden name of Martha Root,
both of whom were natives of Connecticut and de-
scendants of early-settled New England families,
the mother being a sister of the mother of the
distinguished Federal soldier and Congressman,
Gen. Joseph E. Hawley. Mr. Lewis was reared
in his native place in the schools of which he
received an excellent education. At the age of
twenty-four he left Connecticut on account of ill-
health and went to Louisiana, taking up his resi-
dence in Bozier Parish. There he met, and in
March, 1846, married Miss Adeline Hearne, a
daughter of William and Nancy Hearne and sister
of Ebenezer and Horatio R. Hearne, in company
with the latter two of whom he came to Texas in
1852 and settled at Wheelock in Robertson County.
Mr. Lewis had been engaged in planting in Louisiana
and immediately on settling in Robertson County,
opened a plantation on the Brazos. He gave his
attention exclusively to this interest until after the
war, up to which time he resided at Wheelock.
After the war he lived a year on his plantation,
then at Houston for six years, and in 1872, on the
laying out of Hearne, moved to that place which he
subsequently made his home till his death. He



was one of the first to locate at Hearne and erected
there the first business building and the first dwell-
ing. He was one of the earliest and always one of
the most steadfast supporters of the town and all its
interests. His own interests and pursuits were of
a somewhat diversified nature, though chiefiy agri-
cultural. In the course of years he developed a
large plantation in the Brazos bottoms and acquired
a considerable amount of property. He stood
among the first in a community noted for men of
sound intelligence and more than average wealth.
Born and reared in a Northern climate, the vigor
of his intellect lost nothing by transplanting while
he added to it habits of unweary exertion and sound
practical business methods. His reputation was
that of a safe, steady-going, straight forward man
of business and his judgment always commanded
respect. He represented Robertson County two
terms in the State Legislature and proved an able,
etBcient and acceptable representative. He had but
little inclination, however, for public affairs and
gave way in such matters to those more eager for
popular applause and political preferment. A
Democrat in politics,' he always gave a cordial sup-
port to the men and measures of his party. He
was a strong sympathizer with the South during the
war and though not in the military service, he lent
the cause very substantial aid of a kind it stood
most in need of.

Mr. Lewis was made a mason in early manhood
and took great interest in the order. He was a
charter member of the lodge at Hearne, which he
subsequently served as master. He united with
the Presbyterian Church at the age of sixteen and
was a member of the same ever after, and to the
support of this Church as well as to all worthy
purposes he was a valued contributor.

Mr. Lewis died October 22, 1882. He left sur^
viving him a widow, one son and two daughters.
His son, the late Henry L. Lewis of Hearne, was a
large planter of Robertson County, represented
that county in the State Legislature and was a
man of acknowledged ability and influence in the
State.

Mr. Lewis's eldest daughter, Mrs. Fannie M.
Glass, wife of F. A. Glass, died in 1889, leaving
four children three of whom are now living. The
youngest daughter, Mrs. Willie E. Moreland, wife




'S:"byHf. I



>^^.^




INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



381



of Dr. A. C. Moreland, resides at Atlanta, Georgia.
The widow witli tlie orphaned children of her de-
deceased son and daughter, nine in number, still



makes her home in Hearne, where she is reckoned
among the oldest of that place and a representative
of the family lor which the place was named.



W. L. MOODY,

GALVESTON.



William Lewis Moody was born in Essex County,
Va., May 19, 1828, and reared in Chesterfield
County, that State, his parents, Jameson and Mary
Susan (Lankford) Moody, having moved to that
county in 1830. His father was a gallant soldier,
in the war of 1812, and his grandfathers, Lewis
Moody, of Essex County, Va., and William Lank-
ford, of Chesterfield County, Va. , fought for free-
dom in the Continental lines during the Revolution-
ary War of 1776.

His parents raised ten children to years of
maturity: Emily A., James H., David J., Leroy
F., William L., Sarah E., Joseph L., Jameson C,
Mary A., and G. Marcellus Moody. Of these only
Leroy F. Moody, Mrs. Sarah E. Simmons, and the
subject of this memoir are now living.

In 1852 Mr. W. L. Moody came to Texas and
located at Fairfield. Such of his brothers and
sisters as were then living and a dear old aunt
followed, and all settled in Freestone County.

Mr. Moody practiced law at Fairfield for about
two years, but his health becoming precarious he
determined to engage in some less sedentary pur-
suit, and accordingly, with his brothers, David J.
and Leroy F. Moody, established a mercantile
business at that place, under the firm name of
W. L. Moody & Bros. , thus taking the initial step
in a brilliant, successful and widely useful career.
In January, 1860, he was united in marriage to
Miss Pherabe Elizabeth Bradley, of Freestone
County, the beautiful and accomplished daughter
of Mr. F. M. and Mrs. (Goldsby) Bradley,
formerly of Summerfield, Alabama, where Mrs.
Moody was born, reared and educated. Col. and
Mrs. Moody have three children: W. L. Moody,
Jr., Frank Bradley Moody and Mary Emily
Moody, all married and living in Galveston. W.
L. Moody, Jr., married Miss Libby Shearn, of
Houston; F. B. Moody, Miss Battle Thompson,
of Galveston ; and Miss Mary E. Moody, Mr.
Sealy Hutchlngs, of Galveston. Early in 1861,
Col. Moody joined an infantry company raised in



Freestone County and was elected captain. The
command proceeded to the rendezvous at Hopkins-
ville, Ky., and was mustered into the Confederate
States service as a part of the Seventh Texas Inf anti-y
Which was organized upon that occasion with John
Gregg as Colonel. Col. Moody was captured at
Fort Donelson, Tenn., upon the fall of that post in
February, 1862, and imprisoned first at Camp
Douglass, 111., and then at Camp Chase, Ohio, and
Johnson's Island on Lake Erie. In September
following he was exchanged and soon after made
Lieutenant Colonel by promotion, was stationed for
a time at Port Hudson, La., saw much hard service
in Mississippi and Louisiana participating in many
fights and fierce engagements with the enemy ;
after the fall of Vicksburg was severely wounded at
the siege of Jacksonville, Miss., and after many
months of critical illness, was pronounced per-
manently disabled and retired from field service
with the rank of Colonel, being promoted for gal-
lantry. As soon as health permitted he reported
for duty and was appointed to post duty and placed
in command at Austin, Texas, where he remained
until the general surrender. The war ended, he
closed out the mercantile business at Fairfield, and
in 1866 moved to Galveston where he and his
brother engaged in the commission business under
the firm name of W. L. & L. F. Moody.

Next season Mr. F. M. Bradley of Freestone
County was admitted as a partner and the style of
the firm changed to Moody, Bradley & Co.

In 1871, L. F. Moody and F. M. Bradley retired
and E. S. Jemison of Galveston was admitted under
the firm name of Moody & Jemison, and a branch
house established in New York city in 1874, with
Col. Jemison in charge. Leroy F. Moody, so long
associated in business with his brother at Fairfield,
at Galveston and in New York, sharing with him
the joys of boyhood days and in manhood the
struggle for life and fortune, resides at present at
Buffalo Gap, Texas, where Mrs. Sarah E. Simmons,
Mr. Moody's sister, also resides. The partnership



Missing Page



Missing Page



384



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



THE STANDEFERS,

OF BASTROP.



More than a century ago, three brothers of the
name of Standefer, came from England, and set-
tled in this country, one in Virginia, one in South
Carolina, and one on the Western frontier. From
this last Anderson Standefer was descended, being
probably a son. About the beginning of the
present century he married and moved to that part
of Illinois known as the " American Bottoms,"
where he lived till his death some eight or ten
years later. He left surviving him a widow, three
sons, James Williamson, William Bailey and Jacob
Littleton, and a daughter, Sarah. Shortly after
her husband's death, the widow Standefer moved
from Illinois to Alabama, and settled in Franklin
County. From there the family came to Texas
ten years later in 1827, and for a time (about
a year) lived near the line of what is now Brazoria
and Ft. Bend Counties, then designated by the
general name of Austin's Colony. In 1828 they
moved up on the Colorado, and the widow having
married Leman Barker, they all settled in what
was then called Barker's Bend of the Colorado,
about five miles from the present town of Bastrop.
That was then on the extreme frontier of Texas,
and the three sons of this pioneer family, James
Williamson Standefer, William Bailey Standefer,
and Jacob Littleton Standefer, becoming identified
with the history of the country, bore an honorable
part in the same during the struggles which fol-
lowed. All three of them were in Houston's army,
and took part in the battle of San Jacinto, besides
serving in numerous Indian campaigns, under
those distinguished leaders, John H. Moore,
Matthew Caldwell, Ed. Burleson, and the McCul-
loch brothers, Ben and Henry. They never held
any public positions of note, though the eldest,
James W., was a commissioner in connection with
the capital location proceedings at Austin, when
that place was first made the temporary seat of
government. But in the military defense of the
country they were active and in some degree con-
spicuous. James W. Standefer married just previ-
ous to the family's coming to Texas ; the other
two, William B. and Jacob L., and the daughter,
Sarah, married after settling in Bastrop County.
William B. Standefer died in Bastrop County some



Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 71 of 135)