John Henry Brown.

Indian wars and pioneers of Texas online

. (page 77 of 135)
Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 77 of 135)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


which he went to the front early in 1 862. Before his
command was called on to do much active service
he was taken sick and was transferred to the
ordnance department at Anderson, where the most
of his services in behalf of the Confederacy were
rendered in the line of his trade as a wood-work-



man. In December, 1865, he moved to Navasota,.
which at that time was practically the terminus of
the Houston & Texas Central Railroad, and at once
began to make preparations to start a sash, door
and blind factory. He camped under a post-
oak tree, and got out the necessary timbers
and erected his dwelling and shop. The rapid
development of the up-country then tributary to
this point afforded him a good market for his
product. He added a grist mill, then a gin and
planing mill to his plant and ran them all success-
fully until 1873. At that time he turned his atten-
tion to the cotton-seed oil business, erecting a mill
for the mannfacture of the various products of the
cotton seed, his mill being the second erected in the
State. It soon engaged his attention to the exclu-
sion of all his other manufacturing interests, and
he disposed of them. Mr. Schumacher's life has
been given to business pursuits and he has achieved
notable success. At present his time is devoted to
his mill business and to his duties in connection
with the First National Bank, of which he has for
two years past been president. He was one of the
organizers of that institution and its vice-president
until elected president. He manifests a proper
interest in everything pertaining to the welfare of
the community, and is a man in whose judgment
the people in the country where he resides have
great confidence and for whose character they have
great respect.

Mr. Schumacher has been three times married
and has raised to maturity a family of ten chil-
dren. His first marriage occurred in Galveston in
1854 and was to Miss Louisa Koch, a native of




■''V%WT.Bach..-BUynU'f



iii.i.isASTreiRW€)@a



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



417



Germany, whose parents settled In Galveston about
the time Mr. Schumacher settled there. This lady
died at Anderson, Grimes County, in 1856. He
subsequently married Miss Berryman, a daughter
of William Berryman, who settled in Grimes County
in 1834 and a grand-daughter of Francis Holland,
who was the first settler in the country, taking up



his residence here in 1824. This lady lived but a
few years after marriage.

For his third wife Mr. Schumacher married Miss
Emma Horlock, a native of Pennsylvania, of Ger-
man descent.

Mr. Schumacher is a prominent member of the
Presbyterian Church.



H. B. EASTERWOOD,

HEARNE.



Young blood counts for a great deal in the
affairs of this world, and nowhere for more than
in a new and rapidly developing State like Texas.
There is healthy stimulus to activity in a growing
community, and fortunate, indeed, is the young
man, who, brought up in such a community, has,
coupled with the advantage of years, the mental
grasp and force of. character to enable him to
understand and make the best possible use of his
surroundings. Youth, energy, brains and ambi-
tion are qualities that win, and the degree of suc-
cess attained is, as a rule, directly proportioned to
the degree in which these qualities are possessed.

Henry Bascom Easterwood, son of William C.
and Martha G. Easterwood, was born in Lowndes
County, Miss., in 1856. Two years later his
parents came to Texas and, after a brief residence
in Bell County, settled on a farm near Port Sul-
livan, in Milan County, where the subject of this
notice was chiefly reared. His educational advan-
tages were restricted to local schools. At about
the age of eighteen he began clerking for his elder
brother, William E. Easterwood, in a store at
Port Sullivan, and later opened two stores for his
brother at different points in Milan County. He
continued clerking until 1880, when in March of
that year he went toHearne, where, on a borrowed
capital of $2,200, he engaged in a grocery business
on his own account. He soon secured a good
trade, and with the growing prosperity of that
place has, from time to time, extended his line of
operation until at this writing he conducts the
largest general mercantile establishment in Hearne,
and one of the largest on the Houston & Texas
Central Railway between Dallas and Houston. His
two-story, double-front, brick business block,
situated on one of the principal thoroughfares of
the town gives ample evidence of the amount of

27



business done both by the quantity of goods on
display and in the activity about the premises.

While giving his attention mainly to his mercan-
tile business Mr. Easterwood has found time to
interest himself in other enterprises, and has ac-
quired considerable outside interests. He owns
and conducts three good-sized farms in the vicinity
of Hearne ; has purchased and improved a number
of lots in that place, owns and runs a gin there ; is
vice-president of the Hearne Building & Loan Asso-
ciation, helped to organize a local compress com-
pany, and was its president until its removal to
another point ; is president of the Brazos Valley
Lumber Company ; subscribed stock to and is sec-
retary and treasurer of the Hearne & Brazos Valley
Railway ; helped to organize and is a member of
the Board of Directors of the Hearne National
Bank, and, in fact, has had some sort of interest
in every public enterprise that has been started in
the community where he lives during his fifteen
years residence there. He is open-handed and
liberal-minded, assisting with his means and per-
sonal effort whatever is calculated to stimulate
industry, or in any way add to the prosperity of
the community. He has never been in public life
and wisely keeps aloof from the entanglements of
politics. He has served as a member of the Board
of Aldermen of his town, and stands ready at all
times to honor sight drafts on his time and services
in behalf of good government, the building up of
local schools, and the promotion of all those things
that tend to elevate, adorn or improve the society
in which he moves.

Reminded of the fact that he had met with more
than ordinary success, and asked to what he attrib-
uted it, Mr. Easterwood said he supposed to his
strict attention to business. He has made it a rule
to give his business close and undivided attention :



418



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



never to postpone till to-morrow what can be done
to-day ; to attend lo business first, pleasure after-
wards ; to employ strict integrity and an unfailing
compliance with every obligation, verbal or writ-
ten, and, as near as possible, to do unto others as
he would have them do unto him. Whether his
income has been great or small he has always lived
within it; has avoided litigation; and in the dis-
charge of every duty has won the confidence and
respect of all with whom he has had business inter-
course. The cast of his mind is practical, and he
is well-built and strong, having a physical con-
stitution that insures prolonged vitality, and that
patient perseverance which moves steadily forward
in the path marked out; is earnest and active,
never hesitating to do his share of the work about
him.



Mr. Easterwood has been as fortunate in his
domestic relations as he has been prosperous in
business, and, indeed, it is no doubt true that the
one is largely attributable to the other. In 1879
be married Miss Lillie Gohlman, a daughter of
S. L. Gohlman, an old and respected citizen of
Houston, Mrs. Easterwood being a native of that
place, in the society of which she was, previous to
her marriage, a leader. The issue of this union
has been four sons and two daughters.

His home circle is charming and pleasant, and
it is under his own roof and around his own fire-
side that he realizes the best phases and the truest
enjoyments of life, as does every man who is
blessed with a good wife, an interesting family
of children, and the means to properly care for
them.



C. H. NIMITZ, SR.,

FREDERICKSBURG.



Hon. Charles H. Nimitz, St., was born in Bremen,
Germany, November 9th, 1826, and was educated
in the schools of that city. He was named for his
father. His mother's maiden name was Miss
Meta Merriotte. His parents came to the United
States in 1843 and located in Charleston, S. C.
The following year he left the Fatherland, tarried
for a time in Charleston with his father and mother,
and then pushed westward, arriving at Fredericks-
burg, Texas, May 8, 1846, where he has since re-
sided and by thrift and industry accumulated a
■comfortable fortune.

April 8, 1848, he married Miss Sophia Miller.
They have eight living children, viz.: Ernest A.,
now a resident of San Angelo, Tom Green County ;
Bertha, now Mrs. Nanwald, of Burnet ; Charles H.,
Jr., who lives at Kerrville ; Sophie, wife of Otto
Wahrmound, of San Antonio ; Augusta, who mar-
ried a Mr. Schwerin and is now a widow residing
at Kerrville; Lina, wife of E. O. Meusbach, of
Waring; William, who resides at Kerrville; and
Meta, who is married to Henry Wahrmound, of
I'^redericksliurg.

Chester B. Nimitz, who was in business with his



father, died in 1885, when twenty-seven years of
age. He was a bright and promising young man.
His death was a sad bereavement to his parents
and devoted wife. A son was born to his widow
six months after his death. Mr. and Mrs. Nimitz
lost several other children, but they died when
quite young.

In 1861 Mr. Nimitz raised the Gillespie Rifles,
but two months later was appointed by the Con-
federate States Government, enrolling oflScer for the
frontier district, and served in that capacity until
the close of the war. Mr. Nimitz is a devout mem-
ber of the Catholic Church. He is a Democrat,
true and tried, and has for years been a delegate to
nearly all conventions, and an active worker for the
success of the party. He has been a school trustee,
school examiner and member of the board to examine
teachers in the county, and in 1880 was elected to
the Twenty-second Legislature, from the Eighty-
ninth Representative District, composed of Gilles-
pie, Blanco and Comal counties.

He was a member of nearly all the important
House committees and made a record of which he
and his constituents have reason to be proud.



INDIAN WABS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



419



NEWTON WEBSTER FINLEY,



DALLAS.



Hon. N. W. Finley, one of the most widely in-
fluential men in public life in Texas, and a lawyer
whose abilities have won for him the distinguished
position of Judge of the Court of Civil Appeals, was
born in Lauderdale County, Miss, (near the famous
Lauderdale Springs), July 31, 1854, in which
year his parents, Rev. Robert S. and Mary H.
Finley, moved to Texas. They first settled on a
farm near Kickapoo, in Anderson County, and



Soon after securing license Judge Finley formed a
connection with H. G. Robertson, Esq., and en-
gaged in practice in Smith County. Afterwards,
Hon. Horace Chilton, now a United States Senator
from Texas, became a member of the firm, which,
under the style of Chilton, Robertson & Finley,
continued the practice at Tyler until 1885, when
the firm dissolved. Judge Finley afterwards
formed a copartnership with Messrs. Marsh & But-




N. W. FINLEY,



afterwards lived at various points in Texas. They
now reside at Tyler. Rev. Robert S. Finley was
licensed as a minister of the Methodist Episcopal
Church South, when twenty years of age, and now
although eighty years of age still preaches occa-
sionally. He is well known to all old Texians and
no minister of the gospel in this State is so widely
and generally beloved.

N. W. Finley was educated in the common
schools of this State, and began reading law while
still" a pupil at school. He received law lectures
from Gen. Thomas J. Jennings, then living at
Tyler, and was admitted to the bar in June, 1876,
by Judge William H. Bonner, at Quitman, Texas.



ler, a connection that lasted until Judge Finley was
appointed to the bench of the Court of Civil Ap-
peals at Dallas, Texas, by Governor James S. Hogg,
in 1893. Judge Finley did not seek the appoint-
ment. He was elected to the position in 1894, and
is now filling it with eminent satisfaction to the pro-
fession and the people at large.

He Was elected chairman of the State Democratic
Executive Committee in 1888 and was re-elected in
1890. During his term of service in this highly
important position, two of the most famous politi-
cal campaigns ever fought in Texas took place and
he managed the Democratic forces with a consum-
mate skill that resulted in an overwhelming victory,



420



INDIAN WABS AND PIONEEBS OF TEXAS.



made his name a household word and won for him
the lasting gratitude of the rank and file of the
party. In 1884 he was nominated and elected
Presidential Elector from his district.

He was married in June, 1877, to Miss Alma
Louise Woldert, of Tyler. Two children were
born of this union: Alma Ophelia, and Mary
Louise.

Mrs. Finley died in February, 1883.

January 28th, 1886, Judge Finley was united in
marriage to his present wife, nee Miss Minnie Lee
Sims, of Fort Worth, Texas. Three children have
been born to them: Nora Warena, Horace Web-



ster, and Nannie Lee. Horace W. died January 2,
1893, aged about four years.

Judge Finley is an active member of the Metho-
dist Episcopal Church South, and holds the office
of steward in the Church, and takes great interest
in Sunday school work. He is a member of the
Masonic, I. O. O. F., and K. of P. fraternities,
holding the degree of Knight Templar in Masonry.

There are few lawyers in Texas capable of so
truly adorning a position upon the civil court of
last resort. He possesses a fine judicial mind and
that learning and experience which render his ser-
vices in the position he holds invaluable.



H. K. WHITE,

BRYAN.



After the revolution of 1835-6 the tide of im-
migration, which it was supposed would pour into
Texas upon the establishment of a republican form
of government to be administered by Americans,
was slow in arriving, and even that which came
made but little perceptible change in the condition
of things, on account of the immense area of ter-
ritory over which it was diffused. For a number
of years the lower Brazos country, and particularly
Washington County, which was then considered the
Goshen of Texas, received most of the Intending
settlers. Some, however, who placed the health of
their families and security from attacks by the
Indians beyond all other considerations, took up
their residence further to the east, helping to swell
the population of the ancient counties of Liberty,
Harris and Montgomery, and the newer counties
which were carved out of these. One of this num-
ber was James White, who settled within the pres-
ent limits of Grimes County in 1841. He was from
Sumter County, Ala. , and brought to Texas a numer-
ous and respectable household of children, upon
whom devolved the labors incident to the new set-
tlement of a new country which he, on account of
advancing age, was soon forced to abandon. Three
of these children, sons, now themselves well on in
years, are living, viz. : David and Joseph, in
Grimes County, and Henry K., in Brya,n, Brazos
County.

Henry K. White was born in Wilcox County,
Ala., January 19, 1828. He was just thirteen
when his parents came to Texas. His youth was



spent in Grimes County at the old homestead, five
miles west of Anderson, the county seat. He re-
mained with his parents until after he attained his
majority and then left home and went to Louisiana,
where he spent four years engaged in various pur-
suits, chiefly agricultural. He then returned to
Texas and, taking up his residence again in Grimes
County, there, in 1853, married Miss Amanda B.
Noble, a daughter of Judge G. B. Noble, an old
Texian, who for many years was a resident of
Houston. From 1858 to 1862 Mr. White was
Treasurer of Grimes County, during which time and
previous thereto he was engaged in farming, on a
small scale, in that county. He was exempt from
military service during the late war on account of
physical disabilities.

He lost his wife in 1863 and in 1869 married Miss
Hattie E. Davis, of Waco, a native of South Caro-
lina and daughter of Dr. Jas. B. Davis.

In 1873 Mr. White moved to Ellis County ; but,
two years later, receiving from Governor Coke the
appointment of superintendent of the penitentiary
at Huntsville, he changed his residence to that
place and lived there for three years. He then
settled in Burleson County, where he purchased
land and engaged in farming. While residing there
he represented Burleson County in the Eighteenth
Legislature. Moving to Bryan, Brazos County, he
was elected, as soon as his residence therein made
him eligible, to a seat in the Twenty-third Legisla-
ture, during both of which terms of service he met
the expectations of his constituents and added to




H. K. WHITE.



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



421



his reputation as a man of sound sense and business
capacity.

Mr. White has always been identified with farm-
ing interests and, in fact, has made agriculture his
chief study and pursuit in life. What he has, he
has made from this source, and what he is, he at-
tributes to the training obtained while so engaged.
He owns a large body of land in Burleson County,
over 2,000 acres of which are in cultivation, and
has some property, also, in Brazos County. He is
an enterprising, public-spirited citizen and, while
giving his attention diligently to his own affairs,
still finds time to interest himself in everything of
a general nature going on around him, especially if
it is calculated to stimulate industry, add to public
convenience or reflect credit upon the community
in which he lives. As president of the Burleson &
Brazos Valley Railroad he is at this writing exerting



himself to arouse an interest in a much-needed
enterprise, this being the construction of a railroad
from Pitt's Ferry on the Brazos river to Clay's
Station on the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railway,
which will open, in a way never attempted hereto-
fore, a large and rich section of the Brazos country.
In politics Mr. White is a Democrat. He has
voted the straight Democratic ticket since he was
twenty-one years old, and has attended as delegate
every Democratic State Convention, with one ex-
ception, that has been held in the past fifteen years.
He is a firm friend of education and favors a
system of schools liberally supported out of the
public funds. He was a member of the Committee
on Education while in the Legislature and did good
service for the cause of education.

Mr. White has no children. A daughter, the issue
of his first marriage, died at the age of seventeen.



JUDGE JAMES JACKSON,

DOUBLE BAYOU.



The subject of this sketch is a very old Texian,
having lived on Texas soil continuously since
1823. His father was Humphrey Jackson, a native
of Ireland, born near the city of Belfast, who
came to America early in the present century,
quitting his native country on account of his par-
ticipation in some revolutionary troubles. He
was accompanied by his two brothers, Alexander
and Henry, and all three settled in Louisiana.
There Humphrey married Sarah Merriman, a
native of Louisiana, of English and Scotch ex-
traction. Accompanied by his wife and four chil-
dren he emigrated to Texas in September, 1823,
and settled in what is now Harris County about a
half mile west of the present town of Crosby,
where he died in 1833, being killed by a falling
tree while engaged in clearing land — aged' forty-
three.

He was a plain civilian, acted for a time as Alcalde
after settling in Texas, and opposed the revolution-
ary troubles which culminated in the affair at
Anahuac. His wife died the year following the
family's removal to Texas, that is, in 1824.

The four children of Humphrey and Sarah Mer-
riman Jackson were: (1) Letitia, who was married
first to Meredith Duncan and after his death to
Andrew H. Long, and died in Chambers County



in 1881; (2) Hugh Jackson, who died in Liberty
County in 1854, having served for a number of
years as surveyor of that county; (3) John Jack-
son, who died in Chambers County in 1877 — a
successful farmer and stock-raiser; (4) James
Jackson, the subject of this sketch.

James Jackson was born on Vermillion bayou in
Vermillion Parish, La., February 15th, 1822. He
was an infant when his parents moved to Texas.
His childhood and youth were passed in the wilder-
ness of old Harrisburg Municipalty and Liberty
County, his advantages in consequence being much
restricted. He was too young to take part in any
of the stirring scenes preceding and incident to the
revolution of 1835-6, but retains a distinct impres-
sion of those scenes, and remembers seeing the
smoke and hearing the guns on the battle-field of
San Jacinto.

December 23d, 1847, he married Sarah White,
daughter of James T. White, Sr., who moved to
Texas in 1826 and settled on Turtle bayou, where
he subsequently lived and died. Mrs. Jackson was
born in Old Liberty, now Chambers County, July
13th, 1832. Her family was one of the first settled
families in that locality. Her parents died there of
cholera in 1852, the father on March 4th, and the
mother on March 10th. The old White homestead



422



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



was about six miles from the old Mexican military
post of Anahuac and Mr. White gave succor and
assistance to the settlers in their struggles against
Mexican authority. Mrs Jackson was one of a
family of four sons and three daughters who lived
to be grown: (1) Elizabeth, (2) John, (3) Par-
melia, (4) Robert, (.5) Joseph, (6) James, and (7)
Sarah. But three of these are now living, Robert,
James and Sarah (Mrs Jackson).

Iq 1844, Judge Jackson took up his residence in
Chambers, then Liberty County, where he now lives,
moving to his present place in 1855, and has thus
been a resident of that locality for the past fifty-one
years. He and his wife have had eleven children,
nine of whom are living: (1) Sarah E., (2) Hum-



phrey T., (3) Mary P., (4) Alice L., (5) Robert
T., (6) James Edward, (7) Humphrey H., (8)
John C, (9) Raphael S., (10) Guy C, and (11)
Eula J.

In 1861 Judge Jackson was elected Judge of
Probate in Chambers County and held this office
during the war. He has never held any other pub-
lic position, but has devoted his time and attention
to his personal affairs.

He is a large stock-raiser and owns several thou-
sand acres of land in Chambers County.

He favored annexation in 1846 and opposed
secession in 1861, and was always a great admirer
of Gen. Houston.



ED. CHRISTIAN,

AUSTIN.



Mr. Christian came to Texas in 1851. He was
a native of Virginia, and was born at Apomattox
Court House, January 10th, 1833. His father,
Judge Samuel Christian, was a lawyer of that
town, a substantial man who stood high in his
profession and in the esteem of the public. He
moved with his family to Mobile, Ala., about the
year 1844. There the family of children grew up
and the parents died when our subject was yet
a youth. He immediately set about life's work,
and by perseverance and industry gained an edu-
cation, and, being of a mechanical turn of mind,
learned the carpenter's trade at about fifteen years
of age. From Mobile he went to Montgomery,
and there met Simon Loomis, who, while several
years his senior, was yet a young man and also
a carpenter. Between the two there proved to be
a social affinity, and they came together to Texas,
stopped about one year at Bastrop, and worked at
their trade, and the following year, 1852, came to
Austin. They formed a copartnership as carpen-
ters, pooled their earnings, and accumulated a
little money, and entered the lumber business under
the firm name of Loomis & Christian, which bus-
iness relation was harmonious and successful in
the broadest sense of the term, and covered a
period of about thirty years. Upon the breaking
out of the great war between the States, Mr. Chris-



tian promptly volunteered in defense of the Con-
federate cause and served during the prolonged
and bitter conflict as a private soldier in the ranks
of Company G. (Capt. Fred. Moore), Sixteenth
Texas Infantry. After the break-up he returned
to Austin, broken in pocket, but not in spirits,
gathered up the fragments of a disorganized bus-
iness, and the firm started in anew, as it were. In
1867 they erected a planing mill and extended
their lumber yards, and from that time the business



Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 77 of 135)