John Henry Brown.

Indian wars and pioneers of Texas online

. (page 78 of 135)
Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 78 of 135)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


prospered, and it soon became one of the most ex-
tensive in its line in the State, and one of the most
useful.

In 1873 Mr. Christian married Miss Matilda
Horst, a daughter of the lamented pioneer, Louis
Horst, for many years a resident and leading citi-
zen of Austin. Mrs. Christian, the third daughter
of the family, was born and reared in Austin.
Mr. Christian was a worthy member of Milam
Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He
was a man of domestic tastes, and delighted in the
society of his wife and children. He was there-
fore a valuable citizen, and had a wide circle of
friends. He died at his home in Austin, April
14th, 1888, leaving a splendid estate and an hon-
orable name as an inheritance to his family. Mrs.
Christian and three children. Miss Nannie, Miss
Margaret, and Ed Loomis Christian, survive.



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



423



A. H. BARNES,

LAMPASAS.



Alexander Hamilton Barnes was born in Xenia,
Oliio, February 14, 1816. His father was John
Barnes, a native of Virginia, and his mother bore
tlie maiden name of Rachel Black and was a native
of Kentucky. Both patents were reared in Ken-
tucky, married there and moved thence early in
the present century to Ohio. The boyhood and
youth of Alexander H., were passed partly in Ohio
and partly in Kentucky, his education being mostly
obtained in private schools in the latter State.

In 1836 young Barnes, still under age, came to



opening of the Civil War. In 1861, he entered the
Confederate army, enlisting in Company C, Thirty-
third Texas Cavalry, with which he served till the
close of hostilities. He again returned to Austin
after the war and resided there till 1871, at which
date he settled at Lampasas, where, having pur-
chased a considerable tract of land adjacent to the
original town-site, he devoted the remainder of his
life to real estate matters. He had large property
interests in Lampasas and in other sections of the
State, and was one of the first men in Texas, after




A. H. BARNES.



Texas with a view of locating in the country, but
for some reason did not remain. He returned to
Ohio, and later going to New Orleans, there spent
the latter part of the succeeding ten years. He
came again to Texas in 1846 and located at Austin,
which had but a few years previous to that become
the seat of government and was the center of con-
siderable activity. In April, 1847, he enlisted at
Austin in Capt. Samuel Highsmith's Company for
service in the war with Mexico, and his command be-
coming part of Col. Jack Hay's Regiment (Sixth
Texas Cavalry), he was with that distinguished
frontier soldier during the remainder of the war. He
then returned to Austin and again taking up his resi-
dence there, he made that place his home till the



the War, to direct attention to real estate values.
He was in a sense the father of Lampasas, having
built for that place more houses than any other half
dozen men in it. The idea of building and develop-
ing was firmly embedded in his mind, and as he
sold off his property, he put the proceeds in im-
provements, thereby adding thousands of dollars to
the taxable wealth of the community and affording
homes to hundreds of families. He never held his
property waiting for it to be enhanced in value by
the efforts of others, nor put prices on it that placed
it beyond the reach of buyers. On the contrary, he
took the initiative in inaugurating improvements
and was always ready to dispose of any of his hold-
ings at a reasonable figure. It is often mentioned,



424



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



greatly to his credit, that though he sold hundreds
of lots and .built scores of houses, on many of
which he of necessity retained liens, he was never
known to foreclose against any one who manifested
the slightest disposition to pay. He was liberal in
his contributions to public enterprises and extended
a helping hand to whatever was calculated to bene-
fit the community in which he lived. He was never
in politics to speak of and held no ofllcial positions
of any consequence. His social instincts sought
expression through the medium of two or three
orders, notably the Masonic and Odd Fellows, while
his sympathies took practical form in many ways
suggested by the necessities of his struggling fel-
low-creatures. He had a brusque, off-hand way
about him that might be taken by those not familiar
with him as indicative of a reserved, austere nature.



but he was at heart kind, obliging to his friends and
indulgent as a husband and father. He was noted
for great energy, constantly busying himself with
his personal affairs down to his last days on earth.

Mr. Barnes married late in life, his marriage tak-
ing place at Lampasas, August 3, 1871, and was to
Miss Ellen Hopson, a native of San Mareas, this
State, and a resident of Lampasas since early child-
hood. The issue of this union was a son, William
Alexander, and a daughter, Ella, both of whom
reside with their widowed mother at Lampasas.

Mr. Barnes' death occurred at Lampases, March
15, 1894, and his remains were laid to rest, with
proper tokens of respect, at that place. As an old
Texian he had served his adopted State honorably in
two wars, besides taking part in a number of Indian
campaigns and the ill-fated Chihuahua expedition.



EDWARD H. R. GREEN,

TERRELL.



The little town of Terrell, Texas, is now the
home of Edward H. E. Green, one of the most suc-
cessful business men in the United States, and one
of the many-times millionaires who stand monu-
mental of the prosperity of our country.

Mr. Green is the only son of Mrs. Hetty H. R.
Green, who has for years been acknowledged as one
of the ablest financiers who have battled with the
brightest minds of two hemispheres upon Wall
street.

Her son has received a practical education, and,
untainted by the pride of wealth, has entered the
ranks of the toilers. Mr. Edward Green is now
the youngest railroad president in the world. He
was born at the Langham Hotel, London, England,
on the twenty-second day of August, 1868. He
attended the public schools of New York City, the
High School at Bellows Falls, Vt., and later grad-
uated from Fordham College.

After graduating he studied law, making a
speciality of branches relating to real estate and
railroads. He then accepted a position as clerk in
the office of the Connecticut River Railroad, and
when only twenty-one years of age was elected a
director of the Ohio and Mississippi Railroad. Mr.
Green came to Texas in 1893, and purchased a
branch of the Houston & Texas Central, one of the
largest systems of railroads in Texas, and formerly



controlled by his mother. During the same year he
took the Texas Midland Railroad out of the hands
of receivers, and was subsequently elected its presi-
dent and general manager. Through his untiring
efforts and thorough knowledge of railroading the
road has made wonderful progress, being at present
entirely out of debt and paying a good dividend.
Mr. Green is not in the least afraid of work ; he
dons his blue overalls and jumper and mingles with
his numerous employees. He is kind to them, and
they in turn idolize him.

Mr. Green frequently takes a trip on an engine,
and can manage it as perfectly as any skillful
engineer. He is so enthusiastic over the progress
of his road that he visits the towns on the line and
personally interviews the merchants in reference to
freights, etc.

Mr. Green is interested in many railroads through-
out the United States, and owns blocks of houses in
the best business streets in Chicago.

He owns the controlling interest in the Texas
Midland Railroad.

Mr. Green is socially a man of the hail-fellow-
well-met class, and is immensely popular. He is a
member of many clubs, among which are the Union
Club of New York City, the Union League and Chi-
cago Athletic Club of Chicago, and the Dallas Club
of Dallas, Texas. He is exceedingly fond of athletic




E. H. R. grep:n.




DR. J. J. LUMPKIN.



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



425



sports, and is himself a verj' fine specimen of athletic
training.

These last named qualities he perhaps inherits
from his father, who is devoted to New Yorjj club
life, and spends most of his time in a quiet way at
the various clubs of which he is a member.

His sterling business qualities come direct from
his mother, who has by her own efforts become the



richest woman in America. Mr. Green, besides
the large fortune he now possesses, will inherit
something like sixty million dollars from his
mother.

His is a sterling, pushing, virile personality that
is certain to maJse its influence felt in the develop-
ment of the varied resources of Texas and the great
Southwest.



EDGAR P. GRAY,

BEAUMONT.



County Judge of Jefferson County, Texas.
Born in Canton, Madison County, Miss., Septem-
ber 7, 1848. Parents, Judge E. A. M. and Miria
Gray.

Came to Texas in February, 1852, with his par-
ents, who located at Beaume, where he grew to man-
hood and acquired a fair English education in local
schools. He was elected County Assessor of Jef-
ferson County in 1880 and served the .people in
that capacity until 1892, when he was elected County
Judge, the office that he now fills. Noticeable
features of his administration have been the im-
provement of public roads, the building of bridges,
and the clean and able administration of the affairs
of the county.



His discharge of his official duties has met with
hearty indorsement of his fellow-citizens. He
ranlis as one of the ablest county judges in the
State.

Married Miss Eliza Jirou, of Beaumont, Texas,
February 2d, 1870, and has seven children: Dixon
M. , aged twenty-five; Nettie (deputy county clerk
of Jefferson County), aged twenty-three; Earl,
aged twenty-one ; Myrtle, aged eighteen ; Dora,
aged fourteen; Fleta, aged twelve; and Judith,
aged eight years, all living at home with their
parents.

Judge Gray is one of the leading and most widely
influential men in the section of the State in which
he lives.



JAMES J. LUMPKIN, M. D.,

MERIDIAN.



Dr. James J. Lumpkin, the leading and oldest
practicing physician in Meridian, Bosque County,
Texas, was born in Fairfield District, S. C, in 1852 ;
after the war he was a student at the Wafford Col-
lege, South Carolina, and Transylvania University,
Lexington, Ky., completing his literary education at
the latter institution ; graduated from the Charleston
(S. C.) Medical College in 1876 ; had charge of the
Charleston hospital for two years and then came to
Texas and located at Meridian, where he has since
resided and has for a long time enjoyed a large and
lucrative practice. For a number of years he in-



vested largely in cattle and sheep-raising. By suc-
cessful business management he has acquired val-
uable property interests in town and countr}', the
latter consisting of many thousand acres of fine
farm and ranch lands. In 1894 he erected the
handsome stone Lumpkin block at Meridian, the
most imposing structure of the kind in the city, and
has always been an active and liberal promoter of
every enterprise and movement designed to accel-
erate the upbuilding of the place and surrounding
country. January 8, 1878, he was united in mar-
riage to Miss Ida E. Fuller, daughter of Moses W.



426



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



Fuller, of Vermont, who settled at Meridian at an
early day and was for many years a leading mer-
chant there and at other Texas towns. She was
educated at Lockport, N. Y. She is a member of
the Episcopal Church and a most elegant and ac-
complished lady. Dr. Lumpkin is a member of the
Blue Lodge, Chapter and Knights Templar degrees



in the Masonic fraternity, has held the highest
oflSces in his lodge and chapter and is now, and haa
been for many years, master of his lodge. He is
also a member of the I. O. O. F. fraternity. He
is strictly a self-made man, courteous, gentlemanly,
enterprising and progressive, he has been a power
for good in his section of the State.



L. DE BONA,

EAGLE PASS.



The State of Texas has two distinct historical
epochs. The pioneers of the first period subdued
the Indians and blazed the way for civilization, and
in a measure opened up the country, and later
on came foreigners from other lands who took up
the line of advancement and gave the wheels of
progress another vigorous turn. These latter were
the pioneers of the second or modern epoch, and the
class to which Mr. De Bona, the subject of our
sketch, belongs. The story of his coming and the
success that has followed his labors in Texas teaches
a lesson of thrift and enterprise that the present
generation of young men may read with profit.
Mr. De Bona was born in the south of Italy, July
6th, 1847. His father, Vincenzo De Bona, was a
stock raiser and a thrifty man. When a mere boy
our subject had a desire to accomplish something
for himself in the world and, accordingly, left home
and went to Paris, France, where he learned the
shoemaker's trade. This was when he was about
fourteen years of age. He remained in Paris about
five years, working in a shoe factory where there
were about 3,000 operatives. He sailed from Paris
to New York City, reaching his destination late in the
year 1870. He remained in New York and worked
at his trade until 1872 and then went to Cleveland,
Ohio, where he stopped about eighteen months.
He next went to Detroit, Michigan, and late in
1876 came to Texas and visited Galveston, San
Antonio and other points. In 1877 he went to St.
Louis, Mo., and from that place to Des Moines,
Iowa, and remained in Iowa about seven months
and then returned to Texas, his health completely
restored. He went to San Antonio and decided on
a change of occupation, if possible. He had a small
amount of money, about $160, with which he pur-
chased a small fruit stand at the northeast corner
of Main Plaza. It was an humble beginning.



but by close attention and obliging manners his
little stock soon found willing purchasers at reason-
able profit and the business increased and thrived.
Mr. De Bona visited Eagle Pass, which was at that
time attracting considerable attention as a rising
town. This was in 1881. The iron horse had
not as yet arrived, but track for his coming
was being laid. Mr. DeBona opened a small
store at the then center of trade, put it in the
hands of an acquaintance and returned to his
business in San Antonio. Upon his next visit
to his store in Eagle Pass his newly acquired
partner was gone. He then decided to locate in
Eagle Pass and acted almost immediately upon his
decision. As compared with his now elegant es-
tablishment, his first store was a very modest affair,
but the same principles of fair dealing and dili-
gence were adhered to and he, accordingly, suc-
ceeded and gradually extended his business, adding
new lines of merchandise as his capital permitted
and the growing wants of the public demanded.
As Eagle Pass grew so did the fortunes of De Bona
and he was found never sleeping. He has ever
evinced a becoming spirit of enterprise and faith in
the stability of his adopted town. He invested his
money from time to time in Eagle Pass realty and
its enterprises. In 1890 he built the most spacious,
substantial and attractive business block in the
city. He is one of the organizers and a director
of the First National Bank of Eagle Pass. He was
one of the promoters of the public water works
system and to-day is its sole owner. Besides his
mammoth grocery and provision store, he owns one
of the best and most prosperous dry and fancy
goods stores in the city.

Mr. De Bona is essentially a business man, and his
success in life is entirely due to his own personal
energy, abilities and shrewd financiering. He is a




Lo[n)E ©©i^Ao



INDIAN WA:^S and PIONEERS OF TEXAS,



427



self-made man, having never asked or received aid
from any one. His system of doing business is
quite up to modern ideas.

He was one of the organizers of the Maverick
County Bank, the first banking house established in
Eagle Pass, and upon its reorganization as the First
National Bank, of Eagle Pass, he became one of
its directors and for a time served as its vice-
president. He took an active part in the organiza-
tion of the Texas & Mexico Electric Light Co.,
and served as its president for two years. He was
foremost in the movement to put the Eagle Pass
Telephone Exchange upon its feet, and there has not
been a public enterprise of any kind proposed that



Mr. De Bona has not encouraged with his influence
and means. He, in fact, might be truthfully called
the "Merchant Prince" of Eagle Pass. His in-
vestments in Eagle Pass are all of the beneficial
kind. He owns the imposing Post-offlce block,
besides several other substantial buildings. Eagle
Pass owes her best buildings, her finest stores, her
modern enterprises to the efforts, the thrift and the
sagacity of Mr. L. De Bona, her popular citizen
and in many things her benefactor. At the urgent
solicitation of many of the leading citizens of
Eagle Pass, we present herewith a lifelike protrait
of L. De Bona, as a truly representative man of the
town and section of the State in which he resides.



J. K. HELTON,

MERIDIAN.



Judge J. K. Helton, a sterling old-time citizen of
Bosque County and the Nestor of the Bosque
County bar, was born in White County, Tenn.,
August 12, 1817. His parents, Edward and Eliza-
beth (Knowles) Helton, were natives of Virginia.
His father, although only a boy, served for two
years in the Revolutionary War of 1776, under Gen.
Anthony Wayne ; moved to Tennessee with the
early pioneers and there resided until the time of
his death in 1846, his wife having preceded him to
the grave thirteen years before. Judge Helton, the
subject of this notice, moved from Tennessee to
Mississippi in 1835 ; in 1839 married Miss Lucinda
Mabray, a native of Tennessee, and in 1842 came to
Texas, settling in Harrison County, where he re-
mained three years and then moved to Rusk County
where he engaged in farming until 1853. In the
latter year he moved to McLennan County. In
1854 Bosque County was organized from part of
McLennan County, and his property falling within
the limits of the new county, he was elected Justice
of the Peace of Precinct No. 1 ; held that oflBce until
1861 and was made Chief Justice of the county;



served in that capacity for five years and in 1866
was removed from office by Federal authorities ;
under the constitution of that year was elected to
the newly created oflSce of County Judge ; filled
that position for one year and was again ousted by
military force ; in 1867 was admitted to the bar and
at once began practice ; in 1873 was elected to the
lower house of the State Legislature, and at the
same election was also elected County Judge (again
at that time called Presiding, or Chief, Justice) and
held both offices until 1876. The constitution
adopted by the people that year, changed the title
from Presiding Justice to County Justice, and he
was again elected to the office and served two terms,
and in 1880 voluntarily retired from official life.

He moved to Meridian in 1874 and is engaged in
the active practice of his profession here. His wife
died January 2, 1880, leaving eight children. Six of
whom are now living. He is an earnest member of
the Masonic fraternity and has belonged to and
served as master of a number of lodges.

He has been a life-long Democrat and is an active
and effective party worker.



428



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



C. W. TIDWELL.



MERIDIAN.



Charles W. Tidwell, County Clerk of Bosque
County, was born in Limestone County in 1863.

His parents, John W. and Frances R. (McGee)
Tidwell moved from Mississippi to Texas in 1853 or
1854, settling first in Cherokee and then in Lime-
stone County, where they resided until 1875, when
the family moved to Bosque and bought a farm in
the northern part of the county.

Mr. John W. Tidwell died in 1878. His widow
is still living.

Charles W. Tidwell completed his education by
a commercial course at Bryant & Stratton's Busi-
ness College, at St. Louis, Mo. ; on leaving school,



in 1885, he accepted a position as salesman in a
store at Iredell, Texas, which he continued to fill
until elected County Clerk of Bosque County, in
1892. He was renominated in 1894 and easily re-
elected at the polls, owing to the excellent record he
had made as a county official. He was united in
marriage in 1886 to Miss Rebecca Mingus, daughter
of Mr. J. Mingus, an extensive merchant at Iredell.
They have four children: Roberta, Jerry, Ruby and
Winnie.

Mr. Tidwell is a member of the M. E. Church
South, Masonic fraternity, and Democratic
party.



JAMES M. ROBERTSON,



MERIDIAN.



James M. Robertson, a prominent attorney of
Bosque County, Texas, was born in Hunt County,
Texas, October 25, 1854, the oldest child born to
Eldrldge B. and Malinda G. (Dragoo) Robertson.
His parents were respectively natives of Tennessee
and Missouri. His paternal grandfather moved
from North Carolina to Tennessee at an early day,
and was one of the first settlers of Nashville. The
family is of Scotch-Irish descent and emigrated to
America in Colonial times.

Mr. Robertson's father came to Texas in 1845
and settled at Independence, in Washington
County ; hewed timber for the first cotton gin
erected in that section, and shortly thereafter en-
gaged in land surveying, which he followed until
1850, when he moved to Hunt County, where he
located a headright and began farming, and two
years later (June 1, 1852) married Miss Malinda
G. Dragoo. He moved from Hunt to Bosque
County May 3, 1856, and established himself on
Hog creek, where he improved a farm and resided
until his death, August 3, 1876. Mrs. Robertson
is still living, a loved and honored inmate of ihe
home of her son, James M. Robertson, at Meridian.

The subject of this memoir was reared and edu-
cated in Bosque County ; was elected County Sur-



veyor in 1878, and served one term of two years;
thereafter engaged in the real estate business at
Meridian until 1889, and then, having read law at
leisure moments, was admitted to the bar, and
formed a copartnership with Mr. J. Jenkins. Mr.
Jenkins died the following December, since which
time Mr. Robertson has practiced alone. He has
acquired large landed interests in Bosque County,
and now enjoys a large and lucrative civil and land
practice in the various courts of the State. He
has for years been an active Democratic worker,
and has been a prominent delegate to county, dis-
trict and State conventions. He is a Royal Arch
Mason (now treasurer of the Masonic Chapter at
Meridian), an Odd Fellow, and a member of the
M. E. Church, South. October 2, 1879, he was
united in marriage to Miss Lula Standifer, a
native of Alabama, and a daughter of Mr. John H.
Standifer, of Meridian, Texas.

Six children have blessed this union : Mary Ida,
John E., James Monroe, Jr., Felix Hilton, Marvin
H., and Joseph Kay Robertson.

Mr. Robertson has already achieved distinction
in his profession, and is destined to win fresh
laurels in the future. He is the attorney for the
largest corporations in his county.




C. H. SILLIMAN.



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



429



CHARLES HERBERT SILLIMAN,

FORT WORTH.



One of Fort Worth's most prominent and influ-
ential citizens is Mr. C. H. Silliman, president of
the Chamber of Commerce, and manager of the
Land Mortgage Bank of Texas (limited). He
is a native of Monroe County, N. Y., born on
the banlis of Lake Ontario, on the 30th day of
.January, 1852. His father, La Fayette Silliman, a
native of the State of Connecticut, followed farm-
ing until 1862, and then engaged in the manufac-
ture of agricultural implements, as a member of the
firm of Silliman, Bowman & Company, at Brock-
port, N. Y. Subsequently he sold his interest
in the manufacturing business to the Johnston
Harvester Company, and is now a resident of
Albion, Mich. He married Miss Caroline, daugh-
ter of Samuel Porter, a well-known manufac-
turer of Holly, N. Y., who, at his death, in
1880, at the age of ninety years, was one of the
oldest Free Masons in the United States.

The father of our subject is a relative of the
noted Professor Silliman of Yale College, and both
the Silliman and Porter ancestors were Revolution-
ary patriots, and among the original settlers of
Connecticut.

Mr. Silliman spent much of his time while a boy,
in his father's factory, receiving considerable prac-
tical instruction in mechanics as applied to motive



Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 78 of 135)