John Henry Brown.

Indian wars and pioneers of Texas online

. (page 81 of 135)
Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 81 of 135)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Julia, wife of Mr. A. B. Heard, of Richmond, and
J. E. Dyer, Jr. Mr. Dyer died at Bourne, October
31, 1894, whither he had gone in the hope of res-
toration to health, and is buried in the family
cemetery at Eichmond. His death was a sad
bereavement to his family, to which he was
thoroughly devoted. His loss was also deeply
mourned by a wide circle of friends extending
throughout Texas.

Mrs. Dyer's parents, Mr. George L. and Mrs.
K. (Wright) Heard, were Georgians by birth and
came to Texas at an early day. Her mother's
father was Dr. Isaac Wright, of Tennessee.

Mrs. Dyer had four brothers who served in the
Confederate army during the late war. Of these

G. W. Heard died ten days after the battle of Cor-
inth, from wounds received at Oxford, Miss. ; W.
F. Heard, for years a banker at Cleburne, Texas,
died at that place a few years since ; J. F. Heard

lives at Woodville, Texas, and Heard died

soon after the war. Mrs. Dyer's mother and father
died at Woodville, and are buried there. The Dyer
and Heard families have been prominent in social,
business and political life in Texas, since settling in
this State, and representatives have distinguished
themselves in various professions, civil and mili-
tary, in other parts of the Union. J. A. Dyer, Jr.,
died July 25, 1895, aged twenty-one years. He
was educated at the University of Georgetown. He
was a young man of great promise and his death
was a sore affliction to his family and many friends.



William M. Knight was born in New Hampshire
in 1855. His parents. Prof. Ephraim and Mrs.
Augusta B. (Grain) Knight, were natives of that
State, and scions of an old Colonial family of Scotch-
Irish descent. Prof. Ephraim Knight was one of
the founders of the New London Literary and
Scientific Academy (now Colby Academy), and
occupied the chair of mathematics in that institution
until 1876, when he retired after many years of
service. He died in 1878. His widow is still
living in New Hampshire.

William M. Knight graduated from Colby
Academy in 1873, and Brown University in 1877,
winning the degree of A. B. at the University;
went to Charleston, W. Va., in 1878 and entered
the law office of Smith & Knight (the latter gentle-
man an uncle), and was admitted to the bar in

1880, and shortly thereafter came to Texas and
located at Meridian, where he has since resided.
He has served three times as County Attorney of
Bosque County, twice by appointment and one full
term, from 1884 to 1886, by election.

December 3d, 1890, he was united in marriage to
Miss Mattie E. Farmer, a native of Virginia, but
then recently from Missouri. Mr. Knight is a
member of the Masonic fraternity ; a member of
the Blue Lodge and Chapter at Meridian and of
Cleburne Knight Templar Commandery No. 10,
and has served as master of the lodge and high
priest of the chapter at Meridian. He is an active
Democratic worker and has been a delegate to
various party conventions.

As a lawyer he ranks among the most skillful
practitioners of the Central Texas bar.





James E. Moss, eldest son of Mathew W. and
Mary Moss, was born in Fayette County, Texas,
January 24, 1843, and was reared in Williamson
County, where his parents settled four years later.

eenth year, he entered the Confederate army as
a member of Company E., Seventeenth Texas
Infantry, McCulloeh's Brigade, with which he began
active service in Arkansas, and later took part in


His educational advantages vrere limited, the
neighborhood schools taught from three to four
months in the year, being the sole reliance of the
youth of his day for that mental training and
equipment now considered so essential to success in
At the opening of the late war, then in his eight-

that series of brilliant military movements along
Red river incident to the Federal General Banks'
campaign in Arkansas and Louisiana. He was in-
jured by a fall the day before the battle of Mans-
field, which necessitated his transfer from the
infantry to the cavalry, in which branch he served
during the remainder of the war.



After the surrender Mr. Moss engaged in the live
stock business in Llano County, which he has since
followed, having thus been identified with the cattle
industry nearly all his life and is familiar with all
its details and experiences. He is one of the oldest
stockmen of Llano County and has been one of the
most successful. He owns a ranch of about 9,000
acres located in the southern part of Llano County,
which he has stocked with a high grade of cattle.

Mentioning Mr. Moss' experiences on the frontier
brings to mind the fact that he took part in one of
the last Indian fights in Llano County, the " Pack
Saddle Fight." The incidents of that affair as
related to the writer by Mr. Moss were as fol-
lows: вАФ

On the 4th of August, 1873, a party of redskins
supposed to be Comanches, made a raid into Llano
County, and stole a lot of horses, with which they
were making their escape out of the country, when
a company of eight, Dever Harrington, Robert
Brown, Eli Lloyd, Arch Martin, Pink Ayers, and
the Moss brothers, James R., William, and Stephen
D., was hurriedly organized and started in pursuit.
After following the trail perhaps a distatice of forty
miles, the rangers discovered the Indians about
noon on the following day in camp on the top of
Pack Saddle Moubtain. Concealing their move-
ments the pursuers carefully reconsidered the sit-
uation and discovered that the redskins had made
only a temporary halt to rest and refresh them-
selves. They had passed over an open space about
forty yards in width covered with grass and had
pitched their camp on the edge of the bluff beyond,
leaving their stock in the glade to graze. The
bluff where they halted was skirted below with a
sparse growth of stunted trees, which, with some
scrubby bushes growing adjacent, afforded them a
good camping ground. Some of the Indians had
lain down in the bushes to rest, while others
were roasting meat over a stick fire and eat-
ing. It was agreed among the rangers that
they would charge across the glade on horseback
and put themselves between the Indians and their
horses, then dismount and open fire. The charge

was made and all dismounted before firing, except
William Moss, who fired two shots from his horse.
Though surprised, the Indians gathered their guns
and returned the fire, forming, as they did so, in a
kind of battle line, in which manner they made two
separate charges, evidently intending, if possible,
to reach their horses. But they were repulsed each
time, and a third line was broken up before they
got well out of the timber, under cover of which it
was formed. One buck, bolder than the rest, ad-
vanced alone to some distance to the right of the
others, and without firing bis gun, which, however,
he held grasped in an upright position, seemed de-
termined to make his way to the horses. He came
to within a few feet of the rangers, some of them
firing at him, when suddenly he turned and, retreat-
ing to the edge of the timber, fell forward stone
dead, but, as was afterwards found, still tightly
grasping his gun. About this time three or four of
the Indians started up a chant and began to file off
under the bluff, the others followed suit, and al-
most in a twinkling, nothing more was seen of them.
On inspecting the battle-ground the rangers found
three bodies. Four of their own number were more
or less hurt, William Moss being shot in the right
arm and shoulder, the ball ranging through the
breast and coming out on the lef t'side ; Arch Mar-
tin shot in the left groin ; Eli Lloyd three slight
wounds in the arms, and Pink Ayers, two balls in the'
hips. It was estimated that there were twenty
Indians, seventeen bucks, two squaws and a boy.
All of the stock which these Indians had, twenty
head, together with some of their fire-arms, saddles
and accoutrements, fell into the hands of the ran-
gers. None of the wounds sustained by the pursu-
ers proved serious, except those of^^William Moss ;
he has always suffered more or less with his.

Though he has had considerable military expe-
rience, Mr. Moss has never been before the public in
any official capacity. His private affairs have en-
grossed his attention to the exclusion'of everything
else. He married Miss Delia Johnson, of Llano
County, in 1877, and has by this union a family of
eleven children.





Cbarles Tate Moss, son of Matthew and Mary
Moss, was born in Travis County, Texas, Decem-
ber 28, 1845. He was reared in Williamson and
Llano counties, his parents residing successively in
these two counties during his boyhood and youth.
In 1863, then in his eighteenth year, he entered the
frontier service as a member of Capt. Bowling's
Company from Llano County, and served with this
and Capt. Irvin's Company from Blanco County till
the close of the war. Engaged in stock-raising on
the cessation of hostilities, and has foUovyed it with
a marked degree of success since. The firm o'f C.
T. & A. F. Moss, of which he is the senior member.

is one of the largest and best known in West Cen-
tral Texas, owning more than 30,000 acres of
grazing land lying in Llano and Gillespie counties,
on which is kept from 2,000 to 3,000 herd of cattle
the year round.

In 1882, Mr. Moss married Miss Sallie Ryfleld,
daughter of Holmes and Lucinda Ryfleld, and a
native of Goliad County, Texas, her parents being
early settlers of Texas, her father a veteran of the
Revolution of 1835-6. Mr. and Mrs. Moss have
three sons and one daughter: Holmes, Carlos,
Maud, and Cash.



Was born at Boston, Mass., September 17th, 1810,
and died at San Antonio August 17th, 1882, in the
seventy-second year of his age. He came to Texas
in the memorable year 1836, just after the battle of
San Jacinto, and took part in several subsequent
campaigns, serving with gallantry and distinction.
He made his home in the city of Houston in 1837,
and in 1843 went to San Antonio, where he iden-
tified himself with the growth and progress of
Southwestern Texas, occupied several positions of
honor and trust and resided until the time of his
death. He served for twenty-three months as
Mayor of San Antonio in 1840-41 and later as
Alderman and City Treasurer. He was also a mem-
ber of the Secession Convention of Texas in 1861.
He was elected to the oflace of County Clerk of
Bexar County, August, 1850, and served the people
in that capacity continuously up to the reconstruc-
tion era. In 1873 he was elected District and County
Clerk and held that position until the two ofllces
were separated, after which he held that of County
Clerk of Bexar County until the time of his decease!
The long years he held so many positions of
trust and emoluments at the hands of a most
friendly and appreciative constituency fully attests
the universal esteem in which he was held. Char-

itable and kind in all his dealings with his fellow-
men, it has never been intimated that he willfully
erred either in word or deed. He, together with
his wife who survived him, was a member of the
Texas Veterans' Association, which historic organi-
zation passed a feeling tribute of respect to his
memory as, "An esteemed friend and comrade,
whose loss was deeply mourned."

The Express and other city papers contained
fitting obituary editorials. The members of the
Bexar County bar, through a committee appointed
for that purpose, passed and caused to be spread
upon the records of the court a tribute to his mem-
ory in which due appreciation of his exemplary life
aftd valuable services to his people were acknowl-
edged. The report declares, " that in the death of
Mr. Smith Bexar County lost an honored and trust-
worthy officer ; a polite, worthy and trusted citizen,
and a kind, true and generous friend to the poor
and needy, whose place in social and official life can
scarcely be filled from among the living." It
was signed by Wesley Ogden, Thos. J. Devine,
N. 0. Green, T. S. Harrison, T. G. Smith and
John E. Ochse.

Samuel S. Smith married Miss Sarah Brackett at
San Antonio, January 18th, 1854. Mrs. Smith has



four^cbildren r Oscar ; Thaddeus W., county clerk
of Bexar County; Georgia C, nOw Mrs. Joseph
Olivarri ; and Minnie, now Mrs. Edwin Flory.
Tliaddeus M.'^Wood, grandfather of Mrs. Sarah B.
Smith, was born at Lenox, Mass., in 1772; became
at first a practicing lawyer at Onondago in 1794
and was distinguished for his legal ability. He
was also widely known as a military man. He died
January 10th, 1836.

Her father, Oscar B. Brackett, a merchant,
native of the Empire State, came directly from
Syracuse, N. Y., to San Antonio, in 1844. He

brought with him his wife {nee Miss Emily Wood)
and four children, of whom Mrs. Smith was the
third born. Two sisters of Mrs. Smith are living :
Emily, widow of Chas. F. King, and Ella N., widow
of Simeon W. Cooley, of San Antonio. Mrs.
Smith's mother was a daughter of Gen. Wood, who
served with distinction during the War of 1812.

Mr. Oscar Brackett had a store on Main Plaza
at San Antonio. He died in 1857 and his wife in
1893. Both were highly respected and greatly
beloved and rest side by side in the cemetery at
the beautiful Alamo City.



A venerable old settler of Kendall County, Texas,
came to this country from his native home,
in 1850. He was born near Gotha, in Saxon-Co-
burg-Gotha, in 1819. Mr. Haerter came directly
to Fredericksburg, and lived there about five years,
since which time he has lived on and developed a
fine farm of one hundred and sixty-five acres, at

Comfort. He has never married. He is quiet and
unobtrusive in manner, and interests himself little
in matters outside of his own domains. He is the
president of the German Evangelical Church of
Comfort, established in the year 1891. It may be
truly said of him that he is a good citizen and
successful farmer.



Was born in Lenore County, N. C, February 7,
1824. His father was Matthew H. C!arr, a native
of Virginia, and paternal grandfather, Lawrence
Carr, a Virginian, who served on a patriot pri-
vateer during the Revolutionary War of 1776.
Lawrence Carr emigrated to North Carolina soon
after the close of the colonial struggle for inde-
pendence, and there his son, the father of the
subject of this sketch, was mainly reared ; married
Sallie Murphy, a native of that State, and, estab-
lishing himself as a planter, spent the greater part
of the remaining years of his life, dying at the
advanced age of eighty-seven years. Mrs. Mat-
thew Carr survived some years, dying at about
the same age. They had seven children who
reached maturity, of whom Lewis Whitfield, of

this article, was secjnd in age. Their eldest son,
Joshua Carr, died in Florida when a young man.
The others were Patsie, who was twice married,
and still lives in North Carolina ; James, who died
in North Carolina ; Susan, who was married to a
Mr. Cox, and is deceased ; Alexander, who died in
North Carolina ; Titus, who came to Texas and
died in Hill County ; and Matthew, who lives in
North Carolina. Three of these, James, Alexan-
der, and Titus, were in the Confederate service in
the late war. Lewis Whitfield Carr was reared in
North Carolina, and went to North Mississippi
when a young man (in 1847), when that section
was a comparatively unsettled portion of the State.
Married Mrs. Sidney A. Westbrook at West Point,
Miss., 1854 ; engaged in planting there until 1858 ;



in January of that year came to Texas ; stopped
for a time in Wasliington County, and in Decem-
ber, 1858, bought and settled on a tract of land in
the Brazos bottom, in Robertson County, about
eight miles south of the present town of Hearne.
Here he opened a plantation and engaged in farm-
ing, which he has since followed. Wheie be settled
there were about sixty acres in cultivation. He
immediately put in more, and has developed one
of the best plantations in the bottom. He now
owns two plantations, aggregating about 2,700
acres, most of which are in cultivation. He has
seen the country grow from almost a wilderness to
its present condition, and has been a leading factor
in its development. When he set' led in the bot-
tom, his tradiu;? place was Houston, one hundred
and twenty-five miles distant, and his post-offlce.

Wheeloek, seventeen miles distant. He helped to
build the Hearne & Brazos Valley Railway, of
which he is vice-president, and to organize the
First National Bank of Hearne, of which he is
vice-president. He was made a Free Mason at
"West Point, Miss., in 1849 ; has since been a mem-
ber of the order, and is the present Master of
Golden Circle Lodge No. 361, at Hearne.

His wife died in 1883. One daughter (widow
of B. W. Beckham), now residing at Hearne, was
born of this union. Mrs. Beckham has three chil-
dren, daughters : Misses Lee and Floy, and Beverly
Beckham. He has never been in public oflOiee, but
has served the public in other ways. For twenty
years he has been a member of the grand jury.
He is now the administrator of three large estates.
No man stands higher in Robertson County.



Was born in Savannah, Ga., February. 22d, 1800,
and received a good literary education in the select
schools in the town of Washington, Wilkes County,
in that State, whither his parents moved during his
youth. He graduated with honor at the University
of Georgia, in 1820. His medical education was
secured in the University of New York, from which
he graduated with distinction in 1822. He began
practice at Montgomery, Ala., aoout the year 1823
and resided there until 1833, when he moved to
Texas, bringing with him about thirty negroes and
$40,000 in money and located in "Cole's Settle-
ment," afterwards Independence, Washington
County, where he opened two large prairie plant-
ations and, later, two in the Brazos Bottom. The
latter he abandoned, however, on account of over-
flows, and confined his farming operations to his up-
land property. He also engaged in merchandising
at the town of Old Washington for a time with
Messrs. Bailey and Gay, under the firm name of
Bailey, Gay & Hoxey, but lost instead of made
money by the venture, from which he accordingly
withdrew. He was a prominent figure and active
participant in the political movements that led up
to the Texas revolution and in the revolution itself,
being a delegate to the convention that issued the
declaration of Texas Independence, to which his
name is aflSxed with that of the other patriots who

composed that historic body. He was for a while
medical censor of the RL-public of Texas during the
presidency of Gen. Sam Houston. He did not
practice medicine after coming to Texas, but never-
theless, at all times manifested a lively interest in
matters pertaining to the profession. He was a
staunch supporter in the cause of education and
contributed liberally to the support of Baylor Uni-
versity, during its early years at Independence, and
to other institutions of learning.

He owned one of the finest private libraries in
Texas and his home was a favorite resort of the
great men of the times. He was an omnivorous,
but discriminating reader, had an unusually reten-
tive memory and was a brilliant and delightful con-
versationalist. Of dignified and courtly presence,
possessed of an intellect of uncommon strength and
clearness, his society was sought by the able men
and true patriots that were his compeers, associates
and friends. Before leaving Alabama for Texas in
1833, he was married to Mrs. Elizabeth Bennett, a
New York lady, who accompanied him to his new
home, which she graced with her beauty, refinement
and noble matronly qualities for many years, dying
November 16, 1865. Two children were born of
this union, Thomas Robert Hoxey, who died of
yellow fever at Galveston, September 16th, 1864,
while a soldier in the Confederate army, and Mrs.

^*? %rWT.Baclw.BUyn-

t M.smhM^f)mn.



Sarah Ann Williams, now residing at Independence,
Washington County, Texas. Dr. Hoxey died May
20, 1863.

He was a member of the Masonic fraternity, join-
ing the first lodge organized at Independence, one
of the first established in Texas. As a Democrat he
belonged to the South Carolina school, and was a
warm and steadfast supporter of the political views

of John C. Calhoun. Dr. Hoxey belonged to a
race who studied deep tbe principles of civil gov-
ernment and to whom personal honor, human
libertj- and free institutions were dearer than life

He rests in peace with the spirits of Texas' great
departed and his name deserves a place beside theirs
in tbe annals of his country.



Born in the State of Ohio, August 4, 1825. Mar-
ried to Eowena Davidson, of Galveston, Texas,
August 7th, 1877. Died at San Diego, Duval
County, Texas, October 25th, 1886.

The progressive, energetic and successful citi-
zen, whose name appears at the head of this brief
biographv, was a type of the enterprising American,
who by industry, integrity and intelligence, achieves
success in life, and enjoys every hour of the years
allotted to him by his Creator.

Franklin Wingot Shaeffer came from that sturdy
stock that originally settled and peopled the State
of Pennsylvania. His father was Frederick W.
Shaeffer ; born in that State on the eighteenth day
of October, 1792. A trade was an honor as well
as promise of thrift in the period in which he grew
up ; and after a faithful apprenticeship, be became
master of his trade at nineteen ; married early
Mary Boose, a worthy and industrious helpmeet ;
and, lured by the promises of an extended sphere
for his business, went West, and settled permanently
in the town of Lancaster, Ohio, where to him were
born several children, and amongst others he, of
whom we write, Franklin W. Shaeffer.

The good and Christian mother lived long enough
to implant in the growth-structure of her children,
by teaching an example, a reverence for all sacred
things, high moral principles, and staunch integrity.
She died in the year 1844, when Franklin was about
nineteen years old. The father survived her for
many years afterwards, dying at the ripe age of over
eighty-six years, in the year 1879, honored and
loved by all who knew him or were his neighbors.

The subject of this notice was what may be
termed a self-educated man. True, he acquired a
common school education, a knowledge of the rudi-
ments as the period of his youth affo-'ded.

The same breadtli of desire to carve for himself,
as possessed by his father, was the inheritance of
Franklin W. Shaeffer. The discovery of gold in
California turned thither those in whom was fos-
tered a spirit of restlessness, and at the age of
twenty-four he was one of the "Argonauts," one
of the "Forty-niners," whom the pen and genius
of Joaquin Miller, and the original humor of Bret
Harte, have made historically famous.

Franklin made successfully the long, weary and
hazardous journey across the plains and over the
Rockies to the " El Dorado." Here he met with
all the kaleidoscopic changes that the drift of days
in that country afforded, learning day by day those
lessons of endurance and self-reliance so valuable
to him in after years. What little he accumulated,
he preferred to invest in something that had less of
the feverishness of gold-seeking, and for the few
years of his stay in the far West, he was alternately
engaged in mercantile pursuits, and in the manage-
ment and ownership of a transportation line, en-
gaged in the conveyance of mining machiner}' and
supplies from the immediate Pacific Coast, to the
mining camps in the interior.

Gradually, the aggregate of corporate wealth en-
croached upon his business, and having a favorable
opportunity to dispose of all bis interests, he did so
and came East, and for many years, in New York,
carried on a mercantile business. In 1857 there
was a tide of emigration to another land of golden
promise, the domain of Texas ; and the subject of
our memoir was amongst those who in good earnest
adopted the Lone Star State as home.

He located in a beautiful region, near Boerne.
He purchased lands and sheep, and entered into

Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 81 of 135)