John Henry Brown.

Indian wars and pioneers of Texas online

. (page 85 of 135)
Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 85 of 135)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


caused by an accident in the mill. He left a con-
siderable estate (consisting mostly of lands), and
a reputation of which any man might be proud.
His thorough-going business methods united with
sound habits, strict integrity and a reasonable
amount of public spirit won him the esteem and
friendship of all those with whom he came in con-
tact, and made him for more than thirty years one
of the leading citizens in the county where he lived.
He never held any public offices, but took more or
less interest in public matters and was very well
informed on public questions. In an earlier day
he was a Whig in politics, but after the war he
joined the Democratic party and always afterward
voted with that party. He was a high Mason and
made Masonry his religion.

Mr. Townsen was never married, though a man
of domestic habits and fond of children. He made
his home with his nephew, L. J. Townsen, whose
family looked upon him as a second father, and are
greatly devoted to his memory.

Lafayette Jasper Townsen, mentioned in the fore-
going memoir and whose life was so intimately con-
nected with that of his uncle, was also born in
Carroll County, Tenn., in 1833. His father was
John Garrett Townsen, eldest son of John and
Tamar Townsen, and his mother bore the maiden
name of Mary A. Mitchell. He was reared in
Tennessee, and came to Texas in 1856. Joining
his uncle the following year he went to Lampasas
County, which has practically been his home since
and with the history of which he has been connected
as an active, earnest, law-abiding citizen. As the
outcome of his early struggles along with his uncle
and good management in later years he has accu-
mulated an estate ample for his wants, and he is
spending his time now in the supervision of his prop-
erty and the rearing of his children. He married
Miss Mary A. Stanley, of Lampasas County, in
January, 1865, whose father, John Stanley, moved
from Mississippi to Texas, and settled in Lampasas
County in 1854, the issue of which union has been
seven sons and three daughters, all are living.

Both the gentlemen mentioned in this article had
many encounters with the Indians at an early day
in Lampasas County, and suffered the loss of a great
deal of property from Indian depredations, but their
experience in this respect was of that character
which fell to the lot of all the first settlers, a full
account of which will be found in the historical por-
tion of this work, illustrated at intervals with inci-
dents of blood, daring and personal heroism.



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



WILLIAM HAUSSER,



EAGLE PASS,



Was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, May 24tb,
1847 ; the son of a vineyardist and gardener. He
learned the carpenter's trade in his native country;
came to America in 1867, and worlsed at his trade
in Louisville, Ky., until 1873, when he came to
Texas and continued his occupation at Fort Clark,
Texas, for two years, after which he went to Eagle
Pass and worked at his trade and as contractor until
1887. He bought, then, the lumber yards and



business of Martin & Schriever, at the latter place,
and has since continued the business with marked
success, shipping large quantities of building ma-
terial to Mexico. He is one of the solid men of
his town and greatly esteemed.

He married, in 1881, Miss Amelia Mayer, of
Eagle Pass. Six children, William, Albert, Amelia,
Frederick, Emma, and Charles, have been born of
this union.



LOUIS STEIN,



BULVERDE,



Is well known in Comal County, Texas, as a pio-
neer settler. He was born in Germany, April 2,
1833, where he learned the cooper's trade under his
father, and iollowed the same until 1869, when he
took passage for New York City, where he remained
for some time, after which he made a tour through
many of the Eastern and Middle States, and then,
in 1871, came to Texas. He settled first in Blanco



County, where he built a number of dwellings under
contract for various persons, and then, in 1889,
located on 200 acres of land near Bulverde, where
he now lives. He was united in marriage to Miss
Mary Otto, in 1873, and has seven children, viz. :
Louise, Dora, August, William, Ida, Clara, and
Bertha. Mr. Stein is advanced in years, but hale and
hearty, still possessing much of the vigor of youth.



CARL ROM PEL,



BULVERDE,



Was born in Prussia, January 24, 1836. His
father, Dr. Benjamin Rompel, came to America in
1846, and located at New Braunfels, where he
practiced medicine until 1852, and then secured
800 acres of land in Comal County, on the Bexar
County line, and established a farm, on which he
afterwards resided. Dr. Rompel brought seven
children with him to this country, viz. : Wilhemine,
Carl, Victor, Edward, Frank, Cha:rlotte, and Alvin.
Alvin, Frank and Victor are deceased. Alvin died
at New Orleans in 1863, while a soldier in the



Union army. Carl and Edward served for three
years in the First Texas Cavalry during the war
between the States. After the war, Carl Eompel,
subject of this notice, returned home, engaged in
farming, and in 1873 married Miss Pauline Wiel-
bacher, daughter of the late Christian Wielbacher,
of New Braunfels. Mr. and Mrs. Rompel have
six children: August, Lena, Freda, Julia, Emil,
and an infant. Mr. Rompel has a fine home, and
is a successful farmer.



466



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



JOSEPH C. WEAKLEY,



BROWNWOOD,



The subject of this sketch comes of pioneer an-
cestry. His father was John Weakley, and bis
mother bore the maiden name of Mary Williamson,
both of whom were natives of Kentucky, where
their parents, George and Mary Weakley, and
John and Ellen Williamson, were settlers in the
days of Daniel Boone. Both families were from
Virginia, and had been identified with the history
of that State from early Colonial days. John and
Ellen Williamson died in Kentucky, as did also
Mary Weakley, but George Weakley left there at
an advanced age and went to Indiana, and later to
Illinois, settling on the present site of Monmouth,
in the latter State, where he spent the closing years
of his life ; a type of his kind, full of the spirit of
the pioneer, impatient of the restraints of civiliza-
tion, and caring but little for wealth or the applause
of the world. His son, John, father of Joseph C,
was of much the same character. He moved from
Kentucky in the latter part of the 30's, and set-
tled in Tippecanoe County, Ind., near the fa-
mous battle field of Tippecanoe, where he died in
1841. Near that historic spot, Joseph C. of this
sketch, was born in 1839. He was the youngest of
a large family of children, the care and mainte-
nance of whom bore heavily on the widowed mother
in a new and unsettled country, the better to dis-
charge which duties she left Tippecanoe County
in 1846, and settled in Indianapolis, then a
town of some 2,000 inhabitants. In that town
the boyhood and youth of Joseph C. were
passed and in the public schools of the same he
received what education fell to his lot. He was
«arly apprenticed to the tra'le of a tinner, which he
mastered and followed in Indianapolis till the open-
ing of the Civil War. In 1861 he enlisted in the Union
army as a volunteer in the Thirty-ninth Indiana
Infantry, Col. John F. Harrison, with which he
served in the Army of the Cumberland for three
years. On the expiration of the term of his enlist-
ment he returned to Indianapolis and again taking
up his trade followed it there till the close of the
war. In 1866 he went West and for four years
worked at his trade as a journeyman in different
parts of the country, finally in 1871 coming to
Texas. After a residence of some eight months in
Galveston, three years in Waco, and a year in
Comanche, he settled April 15, 1876, at Brownwood,
which has since been his home. From the date of



his first settling at Brownwood, Mr. Weakley has
been actively identified with the history of the place,
and to-day perhaps has as large and diversified in-
terests in the town as any man living there. He
began business there on a capital of $1,000, opening
a small tin shop on the east side of the square.
His tinshop has expanded into a large hardware
establishment, where all kinds of metal manufac-
turing is done and all sorts of hardware, mill
machinery, implements and vehicles are sold.
The house is one of the largest in Western Texas,
doing an annual business of about $50,000. Mr.
Weakley has given this business almost his exclu-
sive attention, and it represents in the main the best
efforts of the last twenty years of his life. He has
considerable real estate investments in and around
Brownwood, and some interests represented by
local enterprises. In 1883 he assisted in organiz-
ing the First National Bank of Brownwood, of
which he then became vice-president and a
director and has been such since. In 1891 he
assisted in organizing the Brownwood National
Bank, of which he was made president, and holds
that position now. In 1894 he assisted in organ-
izing the banking business of Brooke Smith & Co.,
of Brownsvood, and is a member of the board of
directors of the same at this writing. In 1885 he
subscribed stock to the Brown County Milling
Company, which was organized that year and of
which he became president, and has held that posi-
tion since. And he is a stockholder and director
in the Brownwood Cotton Compress Company.
His subscription to the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe
Railway was $1,000 and to the Port Worth
& Rio Grande, $2,200 ; and he has contributed
to the two principal educational institutions
of Brownwood, Daniel Baker (Presbyterian)
College, and Howard Payne (Baptist) Col-
lege, over $3,000, all of which subscriptions and
contributions being matters of common knowl-
edge and falling within the scope of this article
are thus stated, but are to be taken as showing only
in part what Mr. Weakley has done for the com-
munity in which he resides. His sympathies and
personal efforts have gone forth on all proper occa-
sions and his private charities have been bestowed
with a liberal hand. Constantly absorbed with his
business interests, he has held aloof from politics,
taking only such part in public matters as has been




D. CALL.



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



467



■demanded of him as a citizen. He has served as a
member of the school board, and as Mayor of
Brownwood, but has allowed his name to be
used no further. He is a member of the Masonic
fraternity, Brownwood Lodge No. 41 and Brown-
wood Commandery No. 22 Knights Templ.-vr, and
of the Knights of Pytliias.

In 1872, while residing at Galveston, Mr. Weak-



ley married Miss Helen C. Colmer, then of that
place but a native of Cape Girardeau, Mo. This
lady died, leaving three children, Mary, now Mrs.
Lee Watson, of Brownwood, Alice, and Frank.

Mr. Weaklej^'s second marriage was to Miss
Helen Young, and the issue of this union has
been four children, Vivian, Itylene, Harry, and
Eugene.



DENNIS CALL,

ORANGE.



Mr. Webster in his memorable speech, delivered
in 1825 upon the occasion of the laying of the
corner-stone of the Bunker Hill monument, called
attention to the wonderful strides that the country
had made in material development during the half
century that had elapsed since that day in 1775,
when a few patriots under the leadership of the
lamented and immortal Warren consecrated their
devotion to the cause of liberty upon the first real
battle-field of the Revolution. In his still more
notable oration delivered in 1842, upon the com-
pletion and unveiling of ttie monument — an oration
that has never been surpassed for strength, breadth
■of sweep, stately eloquence or prophetic prescience
in ancient or modern times — he again called atten-
tion to the progress the country has made and in
•commenting upon that progress made a forecast for
the future which must have been listened to by his
more than fifty thousand auditors, with sentiments
-of admiration for the glowing colors and the grand
outlines of the picture drawn by the pencil of his
matchless fancy and of doubt as to whether it would
•ever be realized in those days that were to come
after them — when their hearts should be stilled in
•death, when their moldering forms should rest
beneath the "mossy marbles" of many church-
yards and when other generations should move
about in the marts of trade, the halls of legislation,
in the forum and through all the varied avenues of
social life, and when other hands should guide and
control the destinies of a Republic whose mighty
life should have grown richer and fuller and
stronger with the flight of years. Yet the picture
that Webster drew has fallen far short of what
has already come to pass.

The United States extend from ocean to ocean,
irom the British possessions on the north to the



Gulf of Mexico. Thousands of cities dot the hills
and valleys and plaits of this vast territorial ex-
panse. Thousands upon thousands of new indus-
tries have sprung into existence to furnish employ-
ment to a largely increased population. The
progress of the development of internal resources ;
the advances made in inventions, in the arts and
sciences and in the means and processes of popu-
lar education since 1842 have had no parallel in
preceding ages. In the past century has been
crowded more startling changes, more real and
permanent advancement along all lines than in all
the ones of prior times combined since the day-
dawn of the race. It has been an advancement
that has gathered dynamic force from year to
year, each result proving but a means for the ac-
complishment of still more wonderful and trans-
forming results. The past quarter of a century
has been a period of intense activity. The con-
ditions have been such as to offer unexampled
opportunities to men of superior abilities and
to stimulate and develop those abilities to the
full limits of their possibilities. They have been
such that timidity, incapacity, or even medi-
ocrity has had little to expect. This has been
especially true in the commercial world. A race
of financiers has been evolved, remarkable for their
sagacity, cool and daring judgment and the success
that they have achieved ; many of them building up
princely fortunes from the smallest of beginnings.
We do not refer to reckless speculators, but to
sound business men who have made their fortunes
by sound business methods and have benefited
and helped to build up every material interest of
the communities and States in which they live.

Among the best known members of the latter
class, can be truthfully numbered the subject of this



468



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



memoir, Mr. Dennis Call, Jr., now, and for many
years, a leading citizen of the thriving town of
Orange.

He is secretary and treasurer of the Orange
Terminal Eailroad ; vice-president of the Gulf &
North Western Eailroad, and president and treas-
urer of the Cow Creek Tram Company. He en-
tered the tram business in Salem, Newton County,
Texas, in 1890, and was then elected president and
treasurer, positions which he has since held. At
that time he owned one-third, and now owns one-
half, of the net capital ($178,350) of the company.
It owns over twenty miles of railroad, laid with
steel rails, fifty-four cars, three locomotives (the
road extending through Newton and Jasper Coun-
ties) and about 20,000 acres of long leaf yellow
pine timber, and at this time is furnishing three of
the saw-mills at Orange with their logs. The com-
pany is now (1895) building a double saw-mill on
their road, with a daily capacity of at least 125,-
000 feet, and hope to increase it to 150,000 feet.
The cost of the erection of this mill will be about
$50,000.00.

Mr. Call was born in Orange, Texas, September
20, 1855, attended local schools and, in 1874, en-
tered Eastman's Business College, Poughkeepsie,
N. Y., from which he graduated in 1875. He then
returned home and entered upon his business
career as junior member of the Arm of D. Call &
Son, his father (D. Call, Sr.), being the senior
member. In 1880 George Call was admitted as a
partner in the firm of D. Call & Son, and the firm
name changed to D. Call & Sons. After the death
of D. Call, Sr., the business was continued under
the same firm name under the management of the
surviving sons. The firm engaged in the regular
banking business in 1880, which continued without
change until the death of D. Call, Sr., October 17,
1883, after which the subject of this memoir
a,ssumed control. The firm, besides the banking
business, was also engaged in milling and steam-
boating and owned a line of schooners that ran
between Texas and Mexican ports. Mr. Call is a
member of the Orange Fire Department; Orange
board of trade ; Knights of Pythias, Legion
of Honor, Woodmen of the World, Elks, T.
P. A., Hoo-Hoo and Masonic fraternities,
of the latter for the past eighteen years, joining
Madison Lodge No. 126 at Orange, in 1877. He
has been a member of Orange Chapter No. 78, A.
F. & A. M., for fifteen years and was High Priest
for two years. He is also a member of Ruthven
Commandery No. 2, Knights Templar, of Houston.
He has been a staff officer of the Texas Volunteer
Guard for ten years and in 1889 distinguished



himself as a volunteer soldier by contesting for
and winning a gold medal, offered by the Belknap
Eifles, of San Antonio, to the best Adjutant. Mr.
Call's success in life has been due to honesty,
industry, close application to business and an ad-
herence to the principles instilled into his mind and
heart at his mother's knees.

He has long been a prominent man in his town and
section of the State, has aided with princely lib-
erality every worthy enterprise, has helped the
poor and needy and been a friend to the friendless,
is beloved and honored by all who know him and
is in every respect a model citizen and representa-
tive Texian. His parents were D. Call, Sr., and
Mrs. Marian (Jordan) Call.

D. Call, Sr. , was born in Ireland in 1825 and
was a merchant and banker — the first merchant of
any note in the city of Orange, commencing busi-
ness in 1845. He was a heavy loser by the war
between the States, but after the close of hostili-
ties resumed business, soon receiving merchandise
from New Orleans by the schooner load. During
the war period he came very near losing his life in
the Caribbean Sea, off the coast of Yucatan. The
vessel in which he was a passenger was caught in a
terrible storm, during the progress of which he was
washed overboard. Although incumbered with a
heavy overcoat and a large money belt filled with
gold coin, he succeeded in maintaining himself
afloat for three-quarters of an hour, until rescued by
the ship's boats. A man less vigorous, less coura-
geous or cool would have inevitably perished. He was
a man of singular firmness of character and bravery
of spirit. These traits were dignified and adorned
by a sweetness of temper, kindliness and true
Christian charity that endeared him to all with whom
he came in contact. He was a member of Madison
Lodge No. 126 and Orange Chapter No. 78, A. F.
& A. M., and was one of the original signers of the
charter for the chapter.

He was married in 1852 to Miss Marian Jordan,
born in Alabama in 1836 and a daughter of Josiah
Jordan, who came to Texas in 1843, and was for
many years a prominent citizen of Orange. Seven
children were born to them, three of whom are still
living, viz: D. Call, Jr., a merchant at Orange ;^
George; and Lema Call, now the wife of J. A.
Eobinson, of Orange.

One daughter, Eliza, died at Boerue, Texas,
March 17, 1895. She was born February 3, 1868,
and graduated from Ward's Seminary, at Nashville,
Tenn., in 1885. Soon after returning home from
the institution of learning she went to the Boston
(Mass.) Conservatory of Music, where she com-
pleted her musical education.



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



469



While at Boston she contracted a severe cold
which led to her death. She married Charles Hag-
gerty, of Michigan. One daughter, Hildegard, was
born of this union. Mrs. Haggerty. went to Boerne
in the hope of recovering her health. Her remains
were brought to Orange for interment. She was a
devout member of the Christian Church and a
most lovable and estimable lady.

Mrs. Call is still living and, although sixty years
of age, does not appear to be over forty-five or
fifty. Her hair is yet unsilvered by the snows of
age and she ia as cheerful, vivacious and enter-
taining as any of the younger ladies at social
gatherings.

Mr. D. Call, Jr., was united in marriage Febru-
ary 28, 1878, to Miss Ella C. Holland, of Brenham,
Texas, daughter of Dr. J. A. Holland, a physician
of Independence, and alumnus of the University of
Virginia. She is a niece of Dr. R. T. Flewellen, of
Houston, a gentleman prominent in the political
a:ffairs of the State, having represented the district
several times in the Legislature. ■



Mrs. Call completed her education at Baylor
College and, after graduation, was elected to a posi-
tion as teacher in the faculty and taught in the col-
lege for a number of years. She is an accomplished
musician, a charming conversationalist and a great
lover of the young people who spend many delight-
ful evenings at her palatial and hospitable home.
She and Mr. Call are favorite chaperons on sum-
mer outings and other similar occasions. A gra-
cious and queenly lady, she is beloved by young
and old, rich and poor, for herself and * for her
deeds of sweet charity. In the language of the
dear old Southern song, " None knew her, but to
love her."

Mr. Call has accumulated a fortune variously
estimated at from $150,000 to $200,000.

At the head of a number of important enter-
prises, in the full meridian of life and with many
years, in the course of nature, yet before him,
newer and brighter laurels await him in the field of
finance, and he will yet more deeply mark his
impress upon the times in which he lives.



GEORGE CALL,

ORANGE.



George Call was born in Orange, Texas, June
16th, 1859; was a pupil at local schools during
boyhood and completed his education by attending
Baylor University, Independence, Texas ; Roanoke
College, Salem, Va. ; the State Agricultural and
Mechanical College, at Bryan, Texas, and Soule
Business College, New Orleans, La.

Returning home he was, in 1880, admitted to a
partnership in the Arm of D. Call & Son. The firm
name was thereupon changed to D. Call & Sons,
and so continued until after the death of his father,
D. Call, Sr., which occurred October 17, 1883.
(A short outline of the life of Mr. D. Call, Sr., and
of the family's history, occurs in the memoir of
D. Call, Jr., that appears elsewhere in this volume. )
The business was discontinued in 1891 in order
that the assets of the estate might be divided
between the legal heirs.

Since that time Mr. George Call has been in



business upon his own account and is now one of
the most extensive wholesale dealers in grain and
feed-stuffs in the city of Orange.

He was married May 22, 1889, to Miss Eugenia
Sells, of Orange, Texas.

Mrs. Call is a most charming lady, possessed of
all the qualities that adorn matronhood, and make
home the most delightful and sacred spot of earth.
She has proven to be a wise counselor to Mr. Call
in his extensive business, and therein lies partially
the secret of the unusual success that has attended
his financial ventures.

Mr. Call was a charter member of the Board of
Trade, organized in Orange in 1890, was for three
years its secretary, and has at all times and in every
possible way labored for the upbuilding of his city
and section of the State.

Genial, kindly, hospitable and of high integrity,
he has a wide circle of friends throughout the State.



470



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



PAUL HANISCH,

FREDERICKSBURG,



Was born June 4, 1831, on the Isle of Rugen, one
of the most picturesque and beautiful spots on the
coast of Germany. After securing a good literary
education, he applied himself for ten years to the
study of pharmacy and kindred branches of science,
thus thoroughly equipping himself for the business
of an apothecary, which he has principally fol-
lowed. His father, Rev. Peter Hanisch, was an
able and zealous clergyman of the German Lutheran
Church.

The subject of this notice, Mr. Paul Hanisch,
came to America in 1856 and landed at Indianola,



Texas, on the 6th day of June of that year. He
proceeded in ox-teams from Indianola to New
Braunf els, San Antonio and Comfort. He remained
at the latter place until 1872 and then formed a co-



Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 85 of 135)