John Henry Brown.

Indian wars and pioneers of Texas online

. (page 89 of 135)
Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 89 of 135)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Henry Boerner, Jr., subject of this notice, had one
brother in Texas, who was killed by the Indians in

the historic Nueces Massacre. His name appears
on the monument erected to the memory of the
victims at Comfort, where their remains were in-
terred. Mr. Boerner has one brother in Germany
and two married sisters in Texas. He was married
July 11, 1852, to Miss Caroline Schultz, They have
six children : Johanna, now Mrs. Joseph Keiner of
Comfort; Frederick, Minnie, Lena, Augusta and
Dora. He served in the Home Guards during the
late war. Mr. Boerner is one of Comfort's most
highly esteemed citizens and prosperous farmers.



A native of Comal County, Texas, born July 6th,
1850, is second son of Dietrich Knibbe, one of
Comal County's earliest and most prominent pio-
neers, and was reared on the old Knibbe estate in
that county. He is a successful farmer and stock-
raiser. December 7, 1874, he was united in mar-

riage to Miss Ottilie, a daughter of Philip Wagner.
She was a native of Texas and died in 1889, leaving
three children : Alice, Meta, and Alvin. A number
of years later Mr. Knibbe married Mrs. Minnie
Schultz, widow of the late Chas. Schultz, and by
this union has two children : Hilda and Dietrich.





Ernst Coreth, one of the early pioneers Comal
County, Texas, was born in Vienna, Austria,
December 2d, 1803. Was educated in that city.
Enlisted in the Austrian army in 1820 and served as
an officer until 1830, when he retired and settled
on the estate, in Tyrol, inherited from his father,
who fell an officer in the Austrian army, in the
battle at Austerlitz, on the 2d of December, 1805.
In 1834 he married Miss Agnes Erler and in 1846
he came with his family to Comal County and im-
proved the estate near New Braunfels, now owned
by his son, Rudolph. The family then consisted
of six children and four were born afterward.
Three of the children are dead and seven survive
at this writing: —

Charles, born January 16th, 1837. married Miss
Hedwig Kapp and died in 1865, a soldier in the
Confederate army. His two sons died in early
childhood and his widow survives.

John, born February 22d, 1845, died a soldier
in the Confederate army in 1863 ; Amalia, born
June 22, 1840, married Dr. Goldman, in 1872,
and died in 1873 without issue. Ernst Coreth,

diei July 10th, 1881, and his wife died April 11,

The living children are: —

1. Agnes, born September 18th, 1835, now wife
of John O. Meusebaeh, of Loyd Valley, Texas.

2. Eudolph, born May 7th, 1838, is not married.

3. Franz, born October 29ih, 1846, at Houston,
Texas, married Miss Minna Zesch. His children
are: Agnes, born January 26th, 1884; Lina, born
May 29th, 1885 ; and Rudolph George Rochette,
born January 3d, 1892.

4. Mary, born November 25th, 1848, is not

5. Anna, born February 27th, 1852, now wife
of Hans Marshall, of Mason County.

6. Joseph, born December 5th, 1854, married
Miss Mathilda Rudorf. His children are: Eliza-
beth, born September 26th, 1882 ; Ottilie, born,
March 15th, 1887 ; Veronica, born January 29th,
1889; and Arthur Leopold, born October 13th,

7. Ottillie, born April 16th, 1858, now wife of
Herman Altgelt, of Comal County.



A well-known and wealthy citizen of Boerne,
Kendal Countj', Texas, and a pioneer settler in the
State, came to Texas in 1850 and in November, 1855,
camped with seven other young men on the present
site of Boerne, up to that time unoccupied by a
human habitation. The surrounding country was
infested with Indians. The names of the party of

campers were as follows: Mr. Zoeller, of

Boerne, Dr. Cramer and Christian Flack, of Comfort,

Mr. Fredericks, J. Kiichler, Schulz, Adam

Vogt(the financial head of the expedition), and the
subject of this notice. The party of explorers built
a log-cabin on the spot and from this beginning the
town has grown to its present proportions. The
edifice now (1895) serves as the kitchen of the
residence of County Surveyor Croskey. These

seven men were bound together as a commune,
intending to locate and perpetuate a colony along
communistic lines. It is no surprise, however, to
state that, as such, it was a failure. Part of the
640 acres acquired by them has, in the course of
various subsequent transfers of ownership, become
the property of Mr. Croskey. Mr. Carstanjen
had no money invested or material interest in this
project. He was merely a traveler, who had joined
the idealists in search of health and pleasure.
It becoming evident to the little band of adventur-
ers that the scheme was impracticable, they dis-
banded and Mr. Carstanjen went to Sisterdale.
There he bought 320 acres of land upon which he
settled down to the quiet and independent life of
a farmer. In 1869 he married Miss Ottillie Von



Werder, a granddaughter of Gen. Werder, a dis-
tinguished officer of the Prussian army, in the wars
with France, notably that of 1870. Mr. Carstan-
jen remained on and improved this land at Sis-
terdale until 1872, when he abandoned agricultural
pursuits and removed to Boerne, where he now lives
in ease. He possesses means (mostly invested
in Germany) that yield him an ample revenue and
enable him to lead a life free from business
cares. He has experienced hardships of pioneer
life inTexas and appreciates the privileges he enjoys.
He has spent liberally of his fortune in travel in
the United States and Europe for the edification
and culture of his children. During his pioneer
experience he had $1,000 worth of horses and
other stock stolen by the Indians. He " roughed
it" two years, without once sleeping in a house.
Mr. Carstanjen was born August 29, 1827, in Duis-

burg, on the Rhine, in Prussia. His father, Charles
Carstanjen, was a successful merchant and amassed
a fortune. The subject of this notice, Rudolph Car-
stanjen, was given a thorough German College edu-
cation and at twenty-one years of age went to Buenos
Ayres, South America. He traveled in various
portions of that interesting country and then out of
love for adventure came to Texas, where his de-
sires were fully gratified. Mrs. Carstanjen was born
in New Braunfels, Texas. Her father, Hans von
Werder, was a First Lieutenant in the Prussian
army. He came to New Braunfels in 1846, a com-
panion of Prince Solms, the distinguished German
colonist. He lived and died at Sisterdale, depart-
ing this life October 5, 1891.

Mr. and Mrs. Carstanjen have five interesting
children: Ida, Rudolph, Hedwig, Charles, and



An enterprising and prosperous German citizen
of Boerne, Kendall County, Texas, left Heider-
stoph, Germany, for America, in 1874 ; landed at
Baltimore, Md., traveled through the States, in
July of that year came to Texas, and the following
year located at Boerne with his wife and three

children and engaged in farming. He was born
June 27th, 1841. Mrs. Adler's maiden name was
Miss Julia Naikel. They have four children:
Anna, Fritz, Emma, Powell, and Ernst Henrick.
Mr. Adler's farm consists of 80 acres in a high state
of cultivation and is well improved.



An energetic and thrifty farmer of Comal County,
Texas, came to America in 1860. He was born in
the little town of East-Sea, Germany, May 29, 1835.
His father, who also bore the name of Frederick,
came to this country in 1867, and died in 1889. He
had one other son, John, who, however, never came
to America, and two daughters, Mary, who is now
Mrs. William Edgar, of Comal County, and Lena,

widow of the late Hermann , of that county.

The subject of this memoir married Miss Rica

Kobbelmaker in 1860. Her father, John Kobbel-
maker, a carpenter by trade, and in later life a
farmer, came to Texas with Prince Solms in 1845
and died here in 1870. Her mother is still living,
as an honored and beloved member of the Leasch
household. Mr. and Mrs. Leasch have eleven
children: Louise, Henry, Frederick, Charles, Emil,
Sophia, Augusta, Mennie, Idelhite, Frederica, and
Robert, and nine grandchildren. Mr. Leasch has a
well improved farm of 400 acres.





Was born near Bremen, Germany, July 28, 1826 ;
came to America in 1852, as a passenger on the sail-
ing vessel, " Texas," on her trial trip, and after a
voyage of fourteen weeks, landed at Indianola,
from which place he went to New Braunfels and
from there to Jones Mills, at the junction of Curry's
creek and the Guadalupe river, in Kendall County,
where he worked at the mill for two years for Judge

Jones. He then pre-empted land and began farming,
in which he has since been engaged. He now owns a
well improved farm of seven hundred and twenty

He was united in marriage to Miss Mary Stende-
baok in 1856. They have eight children, viz. :
Paul, Emil, Norma, Mary, Otto, Minnie, Henry,
and Elvira.



Is a son of the venerable and esteemed Harry

Charles Voges was born in 1848. In January,
1874, he was united in marriage to Miss Amelia
Georg, daughter of Charles Georg. They have
seven children : Clara, now Mrs. Henry Ross ;

Matilda, Huldah, Oscar, Emil, Freda, and Meda.
Mr. Voges owns a considerable body of land, part
of which is under cultivation ; and is regarded as a
prosperous business man and substantial citizen of
Comal County.



An old and respected settler of New Braunfels,
came to America in 1845 and to New Braunfels in
1846. He was born in Hanover, Germany, July 6,
1819. He has two sons and one daughter. The
daughter, Johanna, is the wife of Mr. John Zipp, of

New Braunfels. The sons are well known and
prosperous business men of that place. Mr. and
Mrs. Gruene are members of the German Lutheran
Church of New Braunfels. They were members of
the first band of the Prince Solms colony.





A Texian pioneer of 1849; came from Saxony,
where he was born March 2, 1827. His wife, nee
Miss Christina Zeh, who was then a single woman,
and to whom he was married in the fall of 1849,
came to Texas with him. They landed at Gal-
veston and proceeded thence to New Braunfels by
way of Port Lavaca. He remained at New Braun-
fels for a brief time and in 1852 located on his
present farm near Spring Branch, where he owns
about 1,900 acres of good farming and grazing
lands. His wife was born in Saxony. She died

March, 1862, and left eight children: Wilhelmina,
Augusta, Herman, Emma, Bertha, Ernst and Miry.
Mr. Elbel married again in 1867, bis second wife
being Mrs. Wehe, widow of Charles Wehe, of
Comal County. She has two children by her first
marriage : Caroline "Wehe, who married and lives in
New Braunfels, and Louise Wehe, who married
Charles Bierle and lives in New Braunfels. She
has borne Mr. Elbel three children : Albert, Frank-
lyn and Alma.



One of the most prosperous and esteemed German
farmers of Comal County, came to America in
1851 from Labenz, Germany.

He was born August 6, 1824. He married in
1848 Miss Johanna Troga. She was born in the
town of Kissburg, Germany. Tliey came over in
the ship Franci'sa, sailing from Bremen to Galves-
ton. They came from the latter port to Indianola

and from thence to New Braunfels, where they
lived for a period of about ten years. Mr. Leisti-
kow worked out by the day three years and farmed
on rented land for about seven years, after which
he moved to the Piper settlement and there lived
until 1877, when he established himself on his pres-
ent place, which consists of 3,000 acres of farming
and grazing lands.



Fourth son of tbe late Deterich Koibbe, was born
June 16, 1860, at the old homestead in Comal
County, where he now resides. He was married
April 17, 1881, to Miss Pauline, daughter of Phillip
Wegner. Mrs. Knibbe was born at Anhalt, Comal
County, August 26, 1859. Tbey have four chil-

dren: Ella, Hermann, Henry, and Arno. Mr.
Knibbe owns several hundred acres of good farm-
ing and pasture lands and a cotton gin, located
near his home, and he is recognized as a substantial
business man.




Physician. Born October 15, 1847, at Talladega,

Father, Dr. R. P. Sholars, born in 1812, in the
State of Georgia — one of the prominent physicians
of that grand old commonwealth. Died in Jasper
County, Texas, in 1864.

Mother, Miss S. E. Wallace, born in Virginia,
August 24, 1820.

Dr. Sholars received his literary education in
the common schools of Texas and his medical edu-
cation at the University of Louisiana (now Tulane
University), attending that institution three years
in succession and graduating therefrom March 12,
1872. In 1886 he returned to the college for

His parents moved from Alabama to North
Louisiana ; remained there about ten years and
then came to Texas and settled in Jasper County,
in November, 1858. The remained there until
1878, and then moved to Orange.

The subject of this notice began practicing medi-
cine in the winter of 1872 at his old home in Jasper
County and remained there the six succeeding
years. He moved to Orange April 16, 1878, where
he has since practiced his profession and for a num-
ber of years been engaged in the drug business.

He has met with excellent financial success.

He enlisted in the Confederate army in 1864, as
a private in Company I., Lane's (Texas) Regiment
of Cavalry, with which he served until the close of
the war. He then returned to his home in Jasper
County, Texas.

He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, in
which he has attained the Royal Arch degree, and
is also a member of the K. of P., and Elks frater-

April 18, 1874, he was united in marriage, at
Jasper, Texas, to Miss S. E. Miller, of Randolph
County, Ga. She died April 16, 1880, at Orange.

His second marriage was to Miss Odessa
Brockett, formerly of Alabama, June 22, 1887.
Four children were born to him by his first wife,
one of whom is dead, and two by his second wife,
one of whom is deceased.

Of these children, Arthur R. Sholars attended
Baylor University at Waco three years, going as
far as he could in civil engineering and acquiring
some knowledge of military tactics.

S. Wallace Sholars attended Baylor University
for three years and is now a student at the Univer-
sity of Texas, law department.

O. Louis Sholars is attending the public schools
of Orange, Texas ; and Theta Sholars is now five
years of age.

Dr. Sholars has been president of the Board of
Medical Examiners of the first district for the past
15 years, and is serving his second term as presi-
dent of the Southeast Texas Medical Society, head-
quarters at Beaumont. He was one of the first
aldermen of Orange, elected upon the incorporation
of the town under the general laws of the State.

He has been a member of the city school board
for the past eleven years and Captain of the Orange
Rifles for five years. He has held a commission as
Surgeon, with rank ol Captain, in the First Regiment
T. V. G., and was promoted to the oflBce of Medi-
cal Director of the First Brigade, with the rank of

He has been a member of the State Medical Asso-
ciation for a number of years.

Dr. Sholars is widely known and is respected by
all who know him as a leading and influential citizen.



Was born in the kingdom of Prussia, Germany.
April 15, 1826, and was reared to the occupation of
a farmer. He came to America in 1852, landino- at
Indianola, Texas, in December of that year.

From Indianola he proceeded to Seguin, in
Guadalupe County, where he remained for four
years, engaged in farming and stock-raising. He,
however, lost all he had by Indian depredations



and the vicissitudes of the war between the States.
He pioneered in Guadalupe County with ex-Gov-
ernor John Ireland, and at times shared the same bed
with him. Mr. Vogt aided in building the first
school-house erected in Seguin. He finally located
at Boerne, in Kendall County, where he has since
resided. He at first purchased four acres of land
on which his home now stands. To this he has
since added ninety-six acres, and now owns a well-
improved farm of one hundred acres.

In 1866-68 he served the people of Kendall
County as Assessor of Taxes and made an active,
efficient and acceptable official.

Mr. Vogt was united in marriage to Miss Anna
•Nesser in 1850. They have seven children : Joseph,
deceased ; Caroline, now Mrs. Ernst Pfifter ; August,
deceased ; Emma, now Mrs. Adam Phillip ; Pauline,
now Mrs. Charles Bergmann ; Wilhelmina, now
Mrs. Charles Eeinhardt ; and Bertha.

Two brothers of Mr. Vogt, Ferdinand and
August, also came to Texas. The latter died
at Spring creek, in Kendall County. Ferdi-
nand located in Cuero, where he engaged in
merchandising and resided until the time of his



Ewin Lacy was born in Christian County, Ky.,
October, 1832, and is a son of George W.
and Sarah (Myers) Lacy, both of whom were also
natives of Kentucky. Mr. Lacy comes of Revolu-
tionary stock on both sides, both grandfathers,
Moses Lacy and John Myers, having served in the
Continental army. They subsequently settled in
Kentucky, where they helped to beat back the In-
dian?, fell the forests and lay the foundation of that
great commonwealth.

George W. Lacy and Sarah Myers were married
in Kentucky and moved thence to Missouri in 1842
and settled in Cedar County, where Mr. Lacy died
the same year and his wife ten years later. They
were the parents of eight sons and five daughters,
all of whom lived to maturity. One of the sons,
Zephaniah, died in Missouri, the others, seven in
number, came to Texas: George W., Ewin and
Jacob in 1858 ; John H. and Frank M. in 1860, and
Matthew and Milton in 1872. Most of these settled
in Burnet County, where they were for many years
residents, and where some of them, among the num-
ber the subject of this sketch, still reside. George
W. and Ewin stopped, on coming to the country,
at Rockvale on the Colorado, not far from the pres-
ent town of Marble Falls, and there put up a two-
story stone dwelling for Josiah Fowler, the first
building of that kind erected in that part of the
State. Jacob stopped at Smithwick Mills, further
down the river, and opened a blacksmith shop.
After the war the several brothers engaged in farm-

ing and stock-raising, at which they met with

Ewin Lacy was a young man, unmarried, when
he came to the State. He worked at his trade
as a stone-mason until the opening of the war
between the States and then entered the Confed-
erate army as a member of Company B., Carter's
Twenty-first Texas Cavalry, Parson's Brigade, with
which he remained until the close of hostilities.
He saw service under each of those distinguished
commanders, Marmaduke,Tom Green, "Wharton and
Dick Taylor, and took part in most of the operations
in Southwest Missouri, Arkansas and Louisiana.
He received a gun-shot wound and a saber wound
in the left wrist, a gun-shot wound in the left leg
and a saber cut on the head, but was never for any
considerable length of time out of the service and
was but once captured (at Lick Creek, Ark.), and
was then held only for a short time, his exchange
being effected within a few weeks. He returned to
Burnet County after the war and settled on a tract
of land near Marble Falls, which he first rented and
subsequently purchased and where he has since
lived engaged in farming and stock-raising, at both
of which occupations he has met with a full mea-
sure of success. He married Miss Kate Crownover
of Burnet County in October, 1868. She is a native
of Fayette County, Texas, and a daughter of Arter
Crownover, who came to Texas previous to the
revolution of 1835-6 and was for many years a
resident first of Fayette and later of Burnet County



where he died a few years since. Mr. and Mrs.
Lacy have had nine children born to them, seven
of whom are living: Oleva, Arter, Melissa, Mar-
shal Ney, John, Christian, and Ewin.

Mr. Lacy is a Democrat in politics and a mem-
ber of the Methodist Church. He has lived in
Burnet County since early Indian times and has

served as a ranger at irregular intervals as often as
the public safety demanded. On these expeditions
he has, on various occasions, ranged Northwest
Texas as far as the Concho, and tracked the " red
skins" to their haunts and helped to recapture
stolen property, but could never get close enough to
them to have an actual fight.



Ernest Dosch, a well-known pioneer citizen of
San Antonio, one of the German colonists who
came to Texas in 1848, in his younger days saw
active service as a soldier and daring Indian
fighter. He is a native of Hessen, Darmstadt,
Germany, and was born May 3d, 1822 ; studied
forestry ; received a good education at the Uni-
versity of Giesen, from which he graduated in
1844, and, being of an enterprising and adven-
turous spirit, was attracted to the Texas Republic,
in 1848, as above stated, and located near New
Braunfels, where he engaged in farming. His
father was an eminent jurist in Germany, serving
acceptably a wealthy and influential constituency.

In 1857, Mr. Ernest Dosch, the subject of this
notice, moved to San Antonio, where he has since
resided, with the exception of the years 1865-6,
which he spent in Germany. He is a plain, unas-
suming, kind-hearted and genial man, and has
hosts of friends in the Alamo city, and throughout
Southwest Texas. He has labored upon all occa-
sions actively and efficiently, for the development
and general welfare of the section of the State in
which he has so long been a resident and a leading
citizen. He has repeatedly declined public office,
and although once elected Alderman from one of
the influential wards of San Antonio, declined to



Col. A. L. Steel was born in Oldham County,
Ky., October 14th, 1830. His father, William M.
Steel, was for years a prominent merchant of
Louisville, Ky. The maiden name of his mother
was Miss Lusatia Loughery. His paternal grand-
father, Judge Andrew Steel, a native of Virginia,
served throughout the Revolutionary War and emi-
grated to Oldham County, Ky., in 1785. His
maternal grandfather, Alexander Loughery, an
eminent surgeon in the Continental army, settled
and lived in Woodford County, Ky.

Col. Steel, when about nine years old, lost
his father, but remained at home until fifteen
years of age, when he joined a surveying

corps of the Louisville and Jeffersonville Ry.,
as rodman. In the following years he per-
fected himself in the knowledge of civil engi-
neering. In 1850 he came to Texas, dealt in lands
for a time, then accepted a position as Assistant
Civil Engineer under the Buffalo Bayou, Brazos &
Colorado Ry. Co., Mr. J. A. Williams holding the
position as chief engineer. The road was com-
pleted to Richmond in 1855 ; in the winter of
1855-6 was projected in the direction of Austin,
and was built to AUerton in 1860. Mr. Williams
in the meantime had been made the superintendent
of the completed portion of the road to Richmond,
and Col. Steel, chief engineer, west of the Brazos



river. Col. Steel located the road to Allerton,
and surveyed the line from that point to San
Antonio. He continued to fill the position until the
beginning of the war between the States, when
railroad building ceased.

He joined the Eighth Texas Cavalry (Terry's
Texas Rangers) as a private; became Quarter-
master of his regiment, and November 18th, 1862,
was promoted to the rank of Major of Engineers.

He remained in the service until the war closed,
participating in many hot engagements, and was
five times wounded. After the close of hostilities
he returned to Texas and located at Houston,
where he has since resided ; engaged first in the
real estate and later in the insurance business. He
is a member of the Masonic, I. O. O. F. and K. of
P. fraternities, and is one of the best known and
most highly respected citizens of Houston.


Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 89 of 135)