John Henry Brown.

Indian wars and pioneers of Texas online

. (page 91 of 135)
Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 91 of 135)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


years of imprisonment. On reaching the new Re-
public he joined the Texas Rangers under Col. Ed.
Burleson, and participated in a number of Indian
fights. He also served in the Mexican War and
was present and took part in the battle of Monterey.
Y. Gaines Lipscomb married in 1861 at Chappel
Hill, Texas, Mary, widow of Thoa. Bates, a dauo-h-




JOEL P. SMITH.



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



503



ter of Maj. James Hartwell Cocke. The marriage
ceremony was performed at her father's house.
Mrs. Lipscomb survives, and is now (1895) resid-
ing at Hempstead. She was born December 23,
1840, at Old Point Comfort, Va. Maj. James H.
Cocke was a Federal military officer stationed at
Old Point Comfort. Later he lived at Mobile, Ala.,
as a civilian, and there speculated and accumulated
considerable property. He returned to Old Point
•Comfort in 1839, where he resided until 1840, when
he brought his familj^ to Galveston, where he
served the government as Collector of Customs.
His next oflScial position was that of United States
Marshal, with headquarters at Houston. He later
sold goods at Gay Hill and Independence, Wash-
ington County. Maj. Cocke lived a short time at
Chappel Hill, and then in 18 — located in the Brazos
Valley, near Hempstead, where he died.

Judge A. S. Lipscomb, as will be seen in his biog-
raphy in Bench and Bar, was one of the Chief



Justices of the Supreme Court of Texas with Hemp-
hill and Wheeler, and well known as such.

Judge A. G. Lipscomb, present Judge of Waller
County, living at Hempstead, is a son of the sub-
ject of this sketch. Other sons, J. C. Lipscomb
and Frank, also with the widowed mother, reside
there.

Judge A. G. Lipscomb was born in Waller
County ; there received his early schooling ; later
attended Baylor University, graduating therefrom
in 1878. He studied law under Judge T. S. Reese,
present Judge of the Twenty-third Judicial District
of Texas, and was admitted to the bar and com-
menced practice at Hempstead in 1880. He was
elected and filled with honor for ten years the office
of Prosecuting Attorney of Waller County, and is
now (1895) serving his third term as County Judge.

He was married in 1884 at Hempstead to Miss
Katie Bedell, and they have two daughters, Abbie
G. and Christiana.



JOEL P. SMITH,

MARBLE FALLS.



Joel P. Smith, an old settler and one of the lead-
ing cattle men of Blanco County, was born at
Nacogdoches, Texas, April 2, 1833. His parents
were Francis and Nancy Ann (Slaughter) Smith.
Francis Smith was a native of South Carolina and
his wife of North Carolina. Their parents were
early settlers of Mississippi. They moved from that
State to Texas in 1827, settling in Nacogdoches.
At that time they had a family of five children, and
seven more were born to them. Of these six are
now living: Mrs. Miranda Westfall ; Zachariah, of
Tom Green County ; Mrs. Sarah Smith, of Mason
County; Ruben B., of Blanco County; Mrs.
Amanda Reams, of Llano County, and Joel P., the
subject of this memoir. Mr. Francis Smith moved
in 1841 from Nacogdoches to Fayette County,
thence in 1847 to Burleson County and in 1856 to
Blanco County, where he died August 9th, 1867, at
the age of seventy years. His widow survived him
ten years, dying in Blanco County in 1877 at the
age of seventy-five. He was a farmer, a man of
moderate means and upright life.

Joel P. Smith was principally reared in Fayette and
Burleson counties, this State. His early life differed
but little from that of other youths of his time. He



was enabled to secure but a limited education, and at
the age of nineteen was thrown upon his own
resources. He has been a " cowman," all his life,
having grown up with the industry in the section
of the State in which he resides. His start was
made with a bunch of cattle consisting of ten cows
and their calves, which were turned loose upon the
open range. He has steadily prospered from the
beginning and now owns a ranch in the Northwest
corner of Blanco County, consisting of 13,000
acres, adjacent to which he has leased 5,000 acres,
all well equipped and stocked with about 2,000
head of cattle. Having given his attention very
closely to his own affairs, he has had very little
time to devote to public matters. Being on the
frontier, he was in the ranging service during the
late war and before that time and later, as long as
the country was subject to Indian raids, held him-
self in readiness to assist in the common defense.
In 1870 Mr. Smith married Miss Annie E. John-
son, then of Blanco County, Texas, but a
native of Columbia County, N. C, a daughter of
Duncan Johnson. Eight children were born to
them: Frances, who married Dr. Reed Yett and is
now deceased ; May, who died at about the age of



504



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEEBS OF TEXAS.



fifteen; Oscar H., died at eighteen; OUie, wife of
James C. Bacchus; and Maud, Sidney, Carl and
Joyce, the last four being still at home. Mrs.
Smith died in 1890. Two years later, in Septem-
ber, 1892, Mr. Smith married Miss Cynthia Hardin,
daughter of W. G. Hardin, of Blanco County.



One son has been born of this union, Damon Philip,
born June 2l8t, 1894. Mr. Smith is one of the
most highly respected and influential citizens of the
section of the State in which he resides and has
been an active promoter of every enterprise
inaugurated for its development.



JAMES O. LUBY,



SAN DIEGO.



Judge James O. Luby was born in London, En-
gland, June 14, 1846. His father, Daniel Luby, of
Cork, Ireland, died when he was an infant. In
1854 Mrs. Luby ( nee Miss Kate Smith) came to
New York City, where the subject of this sketch
received his education in the public schools.

In 1858 Mrs. Luby was united in marriage to
Mr. A. E. Feuille, and in 1860 went with him to Ha-
vana, Cuba. Judge Luby visited his mother at Ha-
vana in the early part of 1861, and in March of that
year took passage for New Orleans, where he entered
the Confederate army as a soldier in Company B.,
First Louisiana Infantry (Gladden's regiment) ; was
stationed at Warrington Navy Yard in 1861 and the
early part of 1862 participating in the attack on
Wilson's Camp at Santa Rosa Island, on the 8th of
October, 1861, and the bombardment at Fort Pick-
ens, November 22, and the engagement with the
Richmond and Niagara, Battery Lincoln and Fort
Pickens, January 1, 1862 ; was stationed with his
regiment at Corinth, Miss. , and belonged to the first
brigade, Wither's division of Bragg's corps at the
battle of Shiloh.

After the battle of Shiloh, having served out his
term of enlistment, he was discharged, went to New
Orleans and joined the Pickwick Rifles, Fourteenth
Louisiana Infantry; was at New Orleans during
the exciting period of the passing of Forts Jackson
and St. Philip by the Federal fleets ; was paroled



by Gen. B. F. Butler, and in September, 1862, went
to Brownsville, Texas, where he accepted a posi-
tion in the County Clerk's office. At the close of
hostilities Judge Luby served under Col. John S.
Ford and took part in the fight at Palmetto Ranch.

In 1866 he moved to San Diego, Duval County,
and clerked for N. G. Collins until 1869, when he
moved to Corpus Christi, and in 1870 merchandized
near Fort Ewell, in LaSalle County. From 1871
to 1876 he was Justice of the Peace and a mer-
chant at San Diego, where he has since resided.
He was the first postmaster appointed at San Diego,
and served as such continuously from 1867 to 1884 ;
was elected County Judge of Duval County in 1876
and filled that office until 1882 ; was Collector of
Customs for the district of Brazos Santiago in
1884-5, and County Judge of Duvall County from
1886 to 1890.

Judge Luby was admitted to the bar in 1879, and
enjoys an extensive practice, devoting himself
mainly to land law. He was married to Miss Mary
Hoffman in 1871. They have five children. Judge
Luby is a member of the Masonic fraternity — a
Select Master. He has taken an active part in
every movement having for its object the develop-
ment of Southwest Texas. Politically he is a mem-
ber of the Republican parly. He is one of the
leading men of his section — a representative citi-
zen of Southwest Texas.



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



505



C. W. BOERNER,



COMFORT,



A typical German pioneer of the Guadalupe
Valley, came to Texas in 3851. He was boin in
Hanover, Germany, September 3, 1829. He first
landed on Texas soil at Galveston and proceeded
thence to the port of Indianola and overland to
New Braunfels, where he remained for about six
months, after which he went into the upper Guada-
lupe Valley and engaged in the manufacture of
cypress shingles, an important industry in those
days, affording, as it did, employment to many of
the pioneer families during the time they were pre-
paring their lands for the first planting. Mr.
Boerner asserts that, but for the cypress of the
Guadalupe Valley, it would not have been possible
for a large majority of the first settlers of that
portion of Texas to have maintained themselves
until they could obtain a foothold in the country.
The beautiful banks of the Guadalupe river were
dotted every three or four miles with shingle camps,
the products of which were shipped to Fredericks-
burg, San Antonio, New Braunfels and other points,
and exchanged for supplies. Mr. Boerner made
shingles about two years. He then engaged in
freighting with ox-teams, hauling timber and sup-
plies to Forts Mason, Concho and Clarke. He
also, from time to time, made trips to Indianola
and Port Lavaca on the coast. By industry and
economy he was ennbled to gradually work into



farming and stock raising eight miles northwest of
Comfort, where he has about nine hundred acres of
good farming and grazing lands.

Mr. Boerner's father, Christoph Boerner, came
from Hanover, Germany, in 1855, bringing one son
and three daughters, viz.: Louis; Lina, who
became Mrs. William Huermann ; Dorethea, now
Mrs. Charles Dinger, of Bourne ; and Minnie, who
married Fritz Saur. Christoph Boerner was a
shoemaker and followed his trade for many years
at Comfort. He died at San Antonio. His wife
died on the voyage to this country and was buried
at sea.

C. W. Boerner learned bis father's trade at home
in Germany, but did not follow it as a calling in
this country until the breaking out of the Civil
War, and then only to support the needs of bis
friends and neighbors on his farm. Shoemakers
being exempt from military duty, he escaped the
necessity of fighting for a cause with which he was
not thoroughly in sympathy. He married, in 1859,
Miss Minnie Shellhase. Her father was Gottlieb
Shellhase.

Mr. and Mrs. Boerner have five children :
Bertha, now Mrs. Julius Karger ; Helen, now Mrs.
E. Flasch ; Louise, now Mrs. Henry Spenrad ;
Lina, now Mrs. Ernest Karger, and William, who
is single and lives in the city of Austin.



D. C. REED.



RUNNELS COUNTY.



David Clark Reed, an early settler of Burnet
County and father of Mr. T. S. Reed of that
county, was born in the "lead mine district " of
Missouri, October 25, 1814. His parents were
Thomas and Rebecca Reed, who moved from Ten-
nessee to Missouri early in the present century,
whence, after a residence of some years, they moved
to Arkansas and settled in Hempstead County.
There David C. was principally reared and in 1847,
married Miss Elizabeth Howard Russell. After his
marriage Mr. Reed settled on a farm in Hempstead
County and resided there until March, 1854, when
he came to Texas. For a short time after coming



to this State he remained at Austin, and then settled
permanently in the eastern part of Burnet County,
where he made his home for about thirty years and
with the history of which locality he was identified
more or less prominently during that time. Mr.
Reed was one of the first settlers of Burnet County
and experienced many of the hardships incident to
the settling of a new country. With his family,
consisting of his wife and two sons, Albert S. and
Thomas S., the latter mere children, and his slaves,
he pitched his tent in the woods, some thirty-odd
miles from Austin, the nearest supply point, and
opened a primitive " patch " in the wilderness,



506



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



first constructing a corral for his cattle, in order to
keep them out of reach of the Indians, and after-
wards erecting a log cabin to house his family. He
arrived early enough to get in a crop, planting in
the woods without a fence. The Indians were a
source of annoyance from the start. They made
frequent raids into the country and committed many
depredations, the Comanches being especially
troublesome. Nearly every member of the com-
munity lost stock, and many their lives. One
familj' in the neighborhood, that of Wafford John-
son, was almost wiped out, only one, a little girl,
being spared.

With the gradual improvement of the country
Mr. Reed's fortunes improved until the opening of
the late war, when, as was the case with many
others, he lost a great deal, but these losses he
afterwards repaired in a considerable measure and
always lived in the enjoyment of plenty and gave
his family every advantage in the way of schools,
churches, good society, etc., within his reach. Mr.
Reed and his wife were among the first members of
the Methodist Church organized where they settled
(Hopewell Settlement) and was also a member of
the first Masonic Lodge in that communitj', Mt.
Horeb Lodge, Williamson County. He was a
zealous member of that order during the greater
part of his life, becoming a Royal Arch Mason.
He was also an Odd Fellow, joining the lodge at
Georgetown. He was County Commissioner of
Burnet County eight years and Postmaster at
Hopewell about the same length of time. He had
good educational advantages, being a graduate of



Kenyon College, Ohio, and was among the fore-
most in his community in all educational matters.
His sons, four in number, and a nephew and
niece, who were also members of his household,
were sent to the best schools in the State, and three
of them afterwards became teachers.

Mr. Reed was past the age for military service
during the late war and was also incapacitated by
physical infirmities, having had the misfortune to
lose an eye in early life, but he was a strong sym-
pathizer with the Confederacy and assisted in
caring for the families of soldiers at the front.

Mr. Reed died in Runnels County, Texas,
February 4, 1886, whither he had moved a few
years previous. Surviving he left a widow, who is
still living, and four sons: Albert S. Reed, now a
banker at Ft. Worth ; Thomas S. Reed, a merchant
and banker at Bertram and Marble Falls ; Theodore
Reed, a merchant of Haskell ; and James W. Reed,
a bookkeeper at Marble Falls. His nephew by
marriage, David Morgan, whom he raised as a
member of his family, resides in Ft. Worth, and his
niece, Nannie K. Reed, was married to Lon B.
Parks and is now deceased.

Mrs. Reed, the widow, was born in Tennessee.
Her parents were James and Elizabeth (Howard)
Russell, who died when Mrs. Reed was a child.
She was reared by her sister, Mrs. Morgan, in
Virginia, whose family she accompanied to Arkan-
sas, where she met and married Mr. Reed.

All of Mr. Reed's sons are doing well, showing
that the care which was bestowed upon them is bear-
ing good fruit.



CHARLES AMSLER,



HEMPSTEAD.



Born at Cat Springs in Austin County, July 12,
1836. Son of Charles Conrad Amsler and Mary
Lowenberger Amsler, who were natives of Switzer-
land and came to Texas in 1834. Subject of this
memoir was reared in Austin County. On JUI3' 1 1,
1861, married Miss Julia Meyer, duughter of J.
D. Meyer, an early settler of Fayette County.
Mrs. Amsler, was born in Houston, February
iiOth, 1844. Soon after his marriage Mr. Amsler
moved to Montgomery County, where he engaged
in the sawmill business until 1885, when he settled
in Hempstead, where he subsequently lived. At



Hempstead he built a cotton-seed oil mill which he
operated successfully until his death and which
still continues to do a large business. By industry
and good management he accumulated a consider-
able estate and left his family well provided for.
Surviving him he left a widow, two sons, John
C. and Louis D., and three daughters, Mrs. Theo-
dore Abrenback, Mrs. Penn B. Thornton, and
Miss Julia S. Amsler, all residents of Hemp-
stead, except Mrs. Ahrenback, who lives at
Hearne.
Mrs. Amsler's father, J. D. Meyer, was a native



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



507



of Strasburgh, bora December 15th, 1806. He
came to America in 1826 and, after two years' resi-
dence in New Yorlc, four in Mexico and twelve in



California, came to Houston, Texas, in 1843, from
which place he moved to Fayette County, where he
subsequently resided.



LOUIS T. FULLER,

CALVERT.



During and immediately following the days of re-
construction, Texas, with many othersof the late Con-
federate States, may, in a business sense at least, be
said tohave passed through her second pioneer period.
The flower of her niature manhood had been laid
on her country's altar, her government had been
disorganized, her finances exhausted, her once splen-
did system of local development disrupted. All was
chaos, and seldom, if ever, did a rising generation of
young men face a darker outlook, a more forbid-
ding prospect for future achievement, than did the
young men of the South, in those days. L. T.
Fuller, the subject of this brief sketch, was at this
time nearing manhood and coming on to the stage
of active life and responsibility. He was born May
3d, 1852, in the city of New Orleans. On the break-
ing out of the war between the States young Fuller,
then nine years of age, came with his widowed
mother and her father, Louis C. Trezevant, to Texas
from Memphis, Tenn. His father, James T. Fuller,
was by occupation a planter and engaged also in
various other lines of business. He was a military
man, a graduate of West Point Military Academy
and, upon the opening of hostilities, in 1861
promptly espoused the cause of the Confederacy,
but died before the close of the struggle between
the States. Mr. Fuller's mother, though advanced
in years, is living in the enjoyment of good health,
a beloved inmate of the home of her son.

Upon coming to Texas the family located at Cold
Springs, in Polk County, the grandfather engaging
in agriculture and young Fuller for a brief time
attending school, after which he sought and obtained
employment of the late venerable Samuel L. Allen,
of Houston, and William Pool, a Texas pioneer and
one of the first settlers of Galveston. He drove
cattle for the then widely known cattle firm of
Allen, Pool & Co., along the coast from the Trinity
River to Matagorda. This he continued for a pe-
riod of about eighteen months. Seeing in this
character of labor slim profits for financial advance-
ment he sought other employment and soon obtained



a situation with the firm of Bird & Harrell, of Bryan .
There in 1868 he learned the tinner's trade. He
next accepted a position as salesman in the hard-
ware store of Day & Burt, doing business at Bryan
and Calvert, and later at Marlin, Falls County.
He continued with Messrs. Day & Burt until 1873,
and the following year, 1874, formed a partnership
with Mr. James Connaughten, and engaged in the
tinner's and hardware business in Calvert. The
connection continued under the firm name of Fuller"
& Connaughten for about ten years (until 1884),
when Mr. Fuller purchased his partner's interest,
since which time he has developed the business into
one of the most extensive and successful of its
kind in Central Texas.

Viewing the fact that the material development
of the various resources of the State of Texas dates
from about the time that Mr. Fuller and others of
his day came on to the scene of action, he must be
classed among the successful pioneer business men
of this section of the State, having ever been one
of the chief promoters of its business interests.
He has done much for the upbuilding of Calvert,
which has become the center of a wide extent of
rapidly developing country. Anticipating the needs
of a growing inland city, Mr. Fuller has at various
times set about in a business-like and methodical
way to supply them. He was one of the chief pro-'
moters of the iron foundry established at Calvert
in 1879, put on foot as a stock company, but since
become his sole property, and now known as The
Fuller Engineering Company.

In 1880 he was active with his time, influence
and money in establishing the first cotton oil mill
at Calvert which was sold to the National Cotton
Oil Mills.

in 1887 Mr. Fuller inaugurated the movement
which has given his city its present efficient water
works system, of which he is the principal owner.
He was the moving spirit, and is half-owner in the
Calvert City Ice Factory, which has been in suc-
cessful operation since 1889. In 1892 he estab-



508



INDIAN WABS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



lished the electric light system in use in Calvert.
All of these enterprises have come to Calvert
almost in the nature of benefactions, as without
them, both singly and collectively, Calvert could
not have attained her present standing and repu-
tation as a prosperous, thrifty, pushing business
town.



Mr. Fuller married, January 24th, 1874, Miss
Mary J. Rice, daughter of Dr. U. A. Rice, for-
merly of Macon, Ga., and since 1884 a resident of
Marlin, Falls County, Texas.

Mr. and Mrs. Fuller have seven children : James
T., Louis H., Marion D., Margaret A., Mary F.,
Lucy T., and Mabel.



GEORGE L. PERRY,



COLORADO COUNTY.



George L. Perry was born in Franklin County,
N. C, February 22, 1825 ; moved to Tennessee with
his parents, John E. and Nancy Perry, in 1832, and
came to Texas in 1841 and settled in Colorado
' County, where he has since resided. November 16,
1855, he was united in marriage to Mrs. Mary Ann
Sapp. Four children have been born of this union :



Erastus, who died April 19, 1858; LuluV., now
Mrs. Charles Taylor, of Columbus ; John and Geor-
gie, now Mrs. J. W. Witington, of Yoakum. Mr.
Perry is a member of the Masonic fraternity.

He is one of Colorado County's wealthy farmers
and sterling citizens and a power for good in his
section.



GEORGE K. PROCTOR, M. D.,



CALVERT,



Was born September 8, 1851, near Centerville, in
Leon County, Texas, on his father's farm, and there
received the rudiments of a good education. He
studied medicine in New Orleans and St. Louis;
graduated at the St. Louis Medical College in 1875,
and located at Calvert in the same year and com-
menced the practice of his profession, but retired
from active practice, however, in 1877, and entered
the mercantile business, and in 1883 became junior
member of the well-known firm of Parish & Proc-
tor, in which he has since continued.

He was also from 1876 to 1881 a member of the
drug firm of McLendon & Proctor. Dr. Proctor
married, February 21, 1884, Miss Lou Ella Gardner,
daughter of Judge Alfred S. Gardner, a venerable
pioneer of Leon County, of whom further mention
is made elsewhere in this work.

Dr. and Mrs. Proctor have five children : George



A., Rector G., Jewell K. , Frank Cleveland, and an
infant not named.

Dr. Proctor's father was born in North Carolina ;
was early left an orphan and thrown upon his own
resources ; grew up in an humble way on a farm.
While a boy moved to Alabama, where he married
and engaged in farming ; emigrated to Texas in
1849 and purchased and settled on a farm in Leon
County with his family, consisting of a wife and
eight children, the subject of this sketch being the
youngest that lived to maturity ; was successful in
his agricultural pursuits and at his death in 1880
left a comfortable estate and an honorable record.

Dr. Proctor's mother died in 1877, full of years
and good works.

Dr. Proctor is a man of quiet and unassuming
manners, of sound learning and abilities and is
greatly esteemed.



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



509



THOMAS J. MORRIS,



COLUMBUS.



Rev. Thomas J. Morris, the well-known farmer
and minister of the gospel, of Colorado County,
was born in the State of Florida, December 30,
1843 ; completed his education at the University of
the South; served as a soldier in the Confederate
army in Company B., Eighth Florida Kegiment,
during the war between the States, participating in
the battles of the Wilderness and Gettysburg, etc.
(in both of which he was severely wounded). In
1867 he moved to Texas, and settled in Colorado



County in 1874, where he has since resided. After



Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 91 of 135)