John Henry Brown.

Indian wars and pioneers of Texas online

. (page 98 of 135)
Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 98 of 135)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


his life.

After regaining his liberty, he returned to Texas,
fixing his domicile at what was then known as Black
Point, on Aransas Bay, now St. Mary's. Mr.
Smith laid out and founded the town of St. Mary's



some years before the Civil War. Here he built a
fine and large stone house, from native quarries,
which he designed as a residence for his daughter,
who in the meantime had married, in Eastern
Texas, a Mr. Kennedy. He was anxious to have
his daughter and her children near him, as he
grew older, he having been, through force of cir-
cumstances, separated from her nearly all of his
life ; but, before the house was finished and
preparations completed, his daughter failed so much
in health, that the project for her removal was
abandoned. In a few years his own health failed
so materially that he thought himself compelled to
give up his own home and seek an even milder cli-
mate than Texas, and this he found in Tuxpan,
Mexico, where he removed, and bought the rancho
" Lapatal," consisting of some thirty thousand
acres of land. Here death claimed him, and he
died in this alien land, far from the country he
loved and from all his kindred, in 1878, his beloved
daughter having preceded him to the land of the
departed by some years. He left a will bequeath-
ing all of his possessions to his two granddaughters,
the Misses Mary Elizabeth and Lucy Jane Kennedy,
the former and elder having since married the Hon.
B. M. Sheldon, now mayor of Rockport, which
town, Mr. Smith, during the course of his useful
life, materially assisted in founding and also assisted
in carrying on to prosperity. The writer perhaps
knew Mr. Smith as well as any person now living,
but not sufficiently well to relate all the incidents
in his long and eventful life, which, if properly
collated and set down, would easily fill a large and
interesting book. Though very reticent вАФ and
somewhat prone to speak over -little of incidents in
his own life, he was known as one of the early heroes
of Texas, an eminently just man, and one who
largely assisted in all the best enterprises that made
early Texas' history so glorious.

Never having seen his name in any hitherto
printed Texas history, it is a pleasure to the
author to accord him his rightful place in this
volume.



550



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



B. M. SHELDON,



ROCKPORT,



Hon. B. M. Sheldon came to Texas in 1875 from
New Orleans, where he was born August 12, 1862.
His father, Capt. Stephen Sheldon, a steamboat
owner who ran vessels on the Mississippi and Ohio
rivers for many years, was a native of Rhode
Island ; married Miss Georgiana Arnold, also a
native of that State, and died at New Orleans in
1869. Besides the subject of this memoir there
were two daughters and one son, viz.: Albert B.,
Fannie, and Georgiana. A. B. died at Corpus
Christi in 1884 at twenty years of age. Fannie is
the wife of Benjamin Sprague, of Providence, R. I.
When twelve years old B. M. Sheldon came to
Texas with his mother, worked on a farm for a few
months and then apprenticed himself and learned
the painters and 'signwriters trade, which he fol-
lowed for about twelve years at Corpus Christi.
He then went to Rockport to pursue the same busi-
ness. He married, February 3d, 1890, Miss Lizzie
Kennedy, an accomplished daughter of Prof. John



T. Kennedy, Professor of Mathematics, at Me-
Kenzie Institute, Clarksville, Texas, where Mrs.
Sheldon and her sister Janie were born. They
were reared and educated at Palestine, Texas.
Mrs. Sheldon is a lady of attainments and fine
domestic traits. Miss Janie Kennedy is a member
of the household and a lady of social and intel-
lectual culture. Mr. Sheldon engaged extensively
in contracting at Rockport for a time and has since
been engaged in the real estate business. He
served three years as Alderman of Rockport and is
now serving his second term as Mayor, and has
greatly assisted in bringing the city out of debt
and pushing its fortunes. Mr. and Mrs. Sheldon's
home is one of the handsomest and most luxuriously
appointed in the lovely seaside city. They have
two sons, Joseph Smith Sheldon and Arnold Ken-
nedy Sheldon, and a daughter, Constance Sheldon.
Maj. Sheldon is a wide-awake and progressive
public officer and citizen.



EDWARD Q. KREIGNER,



SPRING BRANCH,



One of the early settlers of Kendall County, was
born in Toeplitz, Germany, January 4, 1821 ; came
to Texas in 1846, and located at New Braunfels,
where he joined the United States army for the
Mexican War, enlisting as a private in Col. Jack
Hays' regiment of Texas rangers. The rangers
were detailed by Gen. Zacbary Taylor for scouting
service, and were often twenty-five or thirty miles
in advance of the main army. The names of Jack
Hays and his famous command are surrounded
with a halo of heroic tradition. An account of



their exploits would read more like a romance than
sober history. Leader and men were the bravest
of the brave and no enemy was ever known to with-
stand their fierce and deadly charge.

After the war Mr. Kreigner settled at the junc-
tion of Curry's creek and the Guadalupe river,
where he estatjlished a farm (nosy consisting of 600
acres) and has since resided. He married Miss
Wilhelmina Koether. Her parents came to Texas
in 1845. Mr. and Mrs. Kreigner have no chil-
dren.



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



551



JOSEPH HEBERT,



BEAUMONT.



Was born in Lafayette Parish, La., in 1818; came
to Texas at twenty-four years of age and settled in
Jefferson County ; remained there three years,
wten he returned to Louisiana and married Miss
Melina Andrus, of St. Landry Parish and then re-
turned to Texas and engaged in the stocli business
near Beaumont, in which he accumulated a fortune
in cattle and land.

Nine children were born of this union, eight of
whom lived to maturity, viz. : Mary Azema, who
married first in 1866, Eloi Broussard of Vermillion
Parish, La., and after his death, Lovan Hampshire
of Jefferson County, Texas; J. M., a stock-raiser
and farmer residing at Beaumont ; B. C. , a stock-
raiser and farmer of Jefferson County; L. J., a
stock-raiser and real estate dealer at Beaumont;
"W. A., a stock-raiser and farmer at Beaumont;



Clara Silliman, wife of Sidney Arceneaux, of
Arcadia, La. ; Louise Cedelize, now deceased, wife
of Raymond Richard, of Arcadia Parish, and Lizzie,
now deceased, wife of J. B. Richard of Arcadia
Parish, La. Coralie, the fourth child, died in
childhood.

At the beginning of the war between the States,
Mr. Hebert raised the first company that was
organized in Beaumont for active service in the
Confederate army, but the company was disbanded,
after which he served as Captain in a military com-
pany, detailed as home guards at Houston, Texas.

He died at his home, in February, 1865, and is
buried in the family burying-ground, near his old
home.

His wife died in January, 1869, and is buried
beside him.



JOSEPH MARTIN HEBERT,



BEAUMONT,



Was born July. 2, 1847, in Jefferson County, Texas,
and educated in Beaumont aild Liberty counties.
He was a soldier in Company C, Madison's regi-
ment, Lane's brigade, in the Confederate army,
with which he served until the close of hostilities.
He then returned home and assumed charge of
his father's estate and soon thereafter engaged on
his own account in the stock business, which he
has followed ever since. He now owns a well-
stocked cattle ranch in Jefferson County, his
brother, L. J. Hebert, being associated with him.



He also engaged in the land business, with Judge
Chaison, of Beaumont.

Mr. Hebert married, in 1867, Miss Emilie Brous-
sard, daughter of Edward Broussard, of Vermillion
Parish, La. They have nine living children, viz. :
Cora, now wife of D. Bonnemaison, of Youngsville,
La. ; Jules, Felix, Numa, Seth, Louis, Clerfey,
Edward, and Eve, who live at the family home.

Joseph Hebert, Sr., was leader in all movements
inaugurated for the up-building of his section of
the country.



562



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



W. G. KINGSBURY, M. D.,



BOERNE.



The subject of this sketch was born in Booncilio,
Oneida County, N. Y., on the 6th of November,
1823, where his parents owned a small farm at
the time. His education was obtained in the dis-
trict school and at a Seminary at Cazanovia. He
then studied and perfected himself in the profes-
sion of dentistry under Dr. Lemon, the leading
dentist of the city of Baltimore. From Baltimore
he returned to his old home in York State and
attended school for a season, practicing among the
students and in the neighborhood, and earning
nearly enough money to pay expenses.

Determining to go West, he reached Texas, in
the beginning of the first month of the year 1846.
He soon got out his kit of tools and went to work
at his profession and, being the only dentist in
the country, got plenty of work and made money.
Among his first acquaintances was the noted Texian
ranger, Capt. Sam. Walker, who persuaded him to
go to the Mexican War with him. He did not enlist
as a regular soldier. Walker told him he could not
be a private soldier and be on equal terms with an
ofllcer and eat at the same table, so he went as a
friend and companion, taking his tools as a means
of living, knowing that he could make more money
than any soldier's wages. He followed Walker
through the various vicissitudes of the Mexican War,
was with him when he fell, as only fall the bravest
of the brave, was in every battle that was fought
when he was able to take part and left the country
with eighteen wounds, one being a bad saber stroke
upon his right cheek, which distinguishes him from
all other men.



Returning from the Mexican War, Dr. Kingsbury
practiced at many of the towns in Western Texas,
and finally settled inSan Antonio, where he occupied
one oflSce for twenty-five years, made money and
gained distinction in his profession.

In the fall of 1869 he was mainly instrumental in
getting up a fair, and was chosen president of the
association and then and consequently did much to
make known abroad the advantages Texas had to
offer.

Dr. Kingsbury's writings attracted the attention
of the Governor of the State, and he was appointed
Commissioner of Immigration, and as long as the
bureau of immigration existed, he was stationed in
St. Louis and by the dissemination of his writings,
thousands of people came to Texas as emigrants.

Later he represented various railroads as immi-
gration agent in Europe and maintained an oflSce
at London, England, from 1875 to 1884, during
which time he delivered speeches and wrote articles,
pamphlets and books, which with other suitable
matter were published in the language of nearly
every civilized country and were circulated broad-
cast over Europe, and sent tens of thousands of
desirable immigrants into Texas.

It is safe to say that no man ever worked harder
or more intelligently for the good of Texas than
the subject of this notice. It is also safe to
say that no man ever retired from a large business
leaving his affairs in better shape. He has three
sons to carry on the good work, a flourishing town
in Guadalupe County bears his name, and he has
thousands of friends to perpetuate his name.



JOHN WARREN, SR.

HOCKLEY,



An old settler of Harris County, residing at Hock-
ley, was born in Cumberland County, England, in
1822, and is the son of James and Jane Warren,
both also natives of Cumberland, in which county
his ancestors lived from time immemorial. The
subject of this notice was reared in his native place



(brought up on a farm) and there resided until
1851 or 1852, when he sailed for Texas, the soil of
which he first touched at Galveston. He had in-
tended to settle at Corpus Christi, but changed his
mind and took up his residence in the northwest
corner of Harris County, not far from the Mont-



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



553



gomery County line, where he kept the stage stand.
Later he purchased land and engaged in farming
and stock-raising, which have been his chief pur-
suits since. Business took him back to England a
year or so after coming to this country and he
remained there until 1857, when he returned to
Texas. The Houston and Texas Central Kailroad
having in the meantime been built as far as Hock-
ley (about three miles from the place of his first
settlement), he located at that place and has there
resided since. He has purchased land from time to
time until his holdings at this writing aggregate
about 6,500 acres, lying in Harris, Montgomery
and Waller counties (mostly in Harris) all of
which he has stocked with cattle and horses. In
point of wealth, as well as in point of time of
residence, he is the first citizen of the locality
where he lives. He has followed a quiet and unos-
tentatious life, never having desired, sought nor held
a public office of any kind. Nevertheless he has at
all times manifested a commendable interest in all
that pertained to the public good and has aided
every worthy enterprise to the extent of his oppor-
tijnities and means. He has never sold a foot of
land since he came to the State, which will show
how much confidence he has at all times had in the
future of Texas. He thinks that Texas is as good



a country as there is in the world and does not see
why any man cannot become independent here if
he tries.

Mr. Warren married Miss Jane Maffat, of Cock-
ermouth, Cumberland, England, December 18, 1846.
She was a native of that place, and, like himself, of
old English ancestry. Six children have been born
of this union, three of whom are still living, viz. :
Jane Eliza, now Mrs. George Ellis, of Houston ;
Mary G., now Mrs. W. J. Peele, of Hockley,
Harris County ; and John, Jr., a ranchman in Harris
County.

Mr. Warren says he has never gone in debt for
anything in his life, never had a copartner, never
engaged in speculation in any form and never car-
ried a dollar's worth of insurance. He has paid
some security debts, however, sustained two losses
by fire and gone through with the usual number of
vicissitudes, privations and hardships that fall to the
lot of even the prudent. He has always met his
obligations of every kind promptly and honorably
and now, at the advanced age of seventy-three
years, enjoys an untarnished reputation, good
health and an abundance of good spirits. He has
great faith in his country and fellow-men and feels
that, all in all, time and fortune have dealt very
kindly with him.



GOTTLIEB OBST,



BULVERDE.



Gottlieb Obst was one of the pioneer settlers of
Bexar County, Texas. He was born in Germany,
January 25, 1817, and emigrated to America in
1847; and located in the vicinity of Bulverde,
where he developed a good farm and raised a
family. He married Miss Johanna Bunzel in
Bastrop, by whom he had five children, viz. : Her-
mann, born January 12, 1862 ; Gustav, born June
25, 1863 ; William, born October 23, 1864 ; Charles,



born September 26, 1866, and Emma, born Octo-
ber 5, 1869. Mrs. Johanna Obst was born Decem-
ber 15, 1827, and died February 2, 1882.

Mr. Obst died November 1st, 1888. He was an
honest and industrious man and highly esteemed.

William, Charlie and Emma, who are not married,
live on the old home place, emulating the example
and cherishing the memories of their departed
parents.



554



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



SEBASTIAN BEIERLE,

WESSON,



A Texas pioneer, born at Baden, Germany, Jan-
uary 20, ^827, came to Comal Couijty, Texas, in
1854. Lived in town for eight months and then
located on the Guadalupe river, where he purchased
land from the State, to which he has since added
until he now owns 1,542 acres.



Mr. Beierle brought his wife with him from Ger-
many. They have six children: Charles, Valen-
tine, Catherine, Christiana, Mary, and Emelie.
Mr. and Mrs. Beierle are venerable old people and
much esteemed for their many excellent traits of
character.



MAX WAHRMUND,



FREDERICKSBURG,



Well known throughout his native county of Gil-
lespie, and a leading citizen of Fredericksburg, at
which place he was born July 27, 1863 ; is a son of
the late Louis Wahrmund, who was born in West
Baden, Germany, Kingdom of Prussia, March 19,
1822. Of the coming of the family to this country
in 1846, something is said in the sketch of the life
of Emil Wahrmund, elsewhere in this work. Louis
Wahrmund followed freighting between Victoria
and Indianola, and interior points in Texas, up to
about 1860, after which he engaged for a time in
farming at Bear creek, and then moved to Fred-
ericksburg, where he engaged in business, which he
followed up to the time of his death in 1883. He



was united in marriage to Miss Susana Ressmann,
daughter of John Peter Ressmann. They have
eight children, viz. : Charles, Mina, now Mrs.
August Schmidt; Nellie, now Mrs. Charles
Jung; Ferdinand, Gustav, George, Edward, and
Max.

Max Wahrmund married Miss Sophia Weyrich,
daughter of Chas. Weyrich (a pioneer settler of
Fredericksburg), in 1884. They have four chil-
dren : Arno, Alma, Egon, and Kurt.

He was elected Treasurer of Gillespie County in
November, 1894, and is now (1895) the incumbent
of that office, which he is filling acceptably to the
people.



JOHN T. HART,

ORANGE.



Lawyer. Born June 18, 1854, at Mobile, Ala.,
and raised on his father's plantation near Demo-
polis, Ala. His father, James M. Hart, a well-
known Southern planter, was born in South
Carolina, April 4, 1802, and died May 4, 1864.

His mother, Sara J. (Turner) Hart, was born
near Althens, Ala., November 16, 1815, and died
October 30, 1893.

John T. Hart acquired his primary education in



private schools in Alabama, and completed it at
Springfield Hill College, Miss., attending the latter
institution during three sessions and graduating
therefrom in 1869 with high honors at the age of
seventeen. Came to Texas in April, 1872, and
located at Orange, where he has since resided.

He worked in a saw-mill for three or four
months, and then accepted a position in the mer-
cantile establishment of Mr. Henry Thompson, a



INDIAN WABS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



5S5



connection that continued nearly four years, dur-
ing which time he studied law at spare moments.
He then resigned his position and read law for
eighteen months in the office of Triplett & Talvey,
at Orange, and while absent on a visit to his old
home in Alabama was elected County Attorney
of Orange County before he was admitted to the
bar.

He was, however, granted temporary license by
the District Judge and sworn into office. He re-
ceived his permanent license at the following term
of court (in 1878). He was re-elected two years
later, served about half of the term, and then
resigned the position to devote his entire attention
to his growing practice.

Mr. Hart has been successful in many important
cases, both civil and criminal, and in but few cases
have judgments secured by him been reversed on
points of law. He was a prime factor in the organ-
ization of the city's government, drawing up all of
the first code of ordinances. He has been a mem-
ber of the local board of trade ever since it was



organized. He was elected a member of the first
board of Aldermen, selected by the people after
the incorporation of the town, did good service as
president of the school board, and in 1893 was
appointed Postmaster at Orange by President
Cleveland, a position that he now holds. Starting
in Orange with a capital of nine dollars he has
accumulated a competency. He owns considerable
property in Texas, a large tract of land in Ala-
bama, and the old family homestead in the latter
State.

He married, January 15, 1878, Miss Addie Good-
man, of Orange, daughter of Mr. C. G. Goodman,
of that city. Three children have been born to
them, two of whom are still living, viz.: Edna M.
Hart, aged sixteen years, now attending the North
Texas Female College, at Sherman, Texas, and
John W. Hart, living at home with his parents.

Mr. Hart is a member of the Knights of Honor
and Legion of Honor.

In politics he is a strong Democrat, and has
done good service for his party.



JAMES G. BROWNE,



BROWNSVILLE,



A well-known Texas pioneer, was born of Irish
parents in Manchester, England, January 1, 1820.
He was a carpenter by trade, a master of his call-
ing, and became a contractor for the government,
and, in the latter capacity, came to Texas and
erected barracks, soldiers' quarters, etc., at Point
Isabel, Texas, in 1848. Soon thereafter he engaged
in merchandising at Freeport, on the Rio Grande
river, which place was soon absorbed by the estab-
lishment and growth of Brownsville and finally
taken into that corporation. When Brownsville
commenced to grow in population and importance,
he moved there from Freeport and continued in
merchandising, meeting with gratifying success
until 1863, when he lost heavily by fire. He then
moved across the river to Matamoros, Mexico, and
engaged for a brief time in business there, after
which he removed to Camargo, Mexico, near the
Texas line, and opposite Rio Grande City. There



he remained in business until the close of the war
between the States. In 1865-6 he returned to
Brownsville to look after his extensive landed inter-
ests in Cameron County. He left his ranches well
stocked with cattle, sheep, horses, etc., all of
which were confiscated and utilized by the Confed-
erate government or stolen by marauding Indians
and Mexicans.

He set about the restoration of his estate to its
former condition, however, with his accustomed
energy, and made a large amount of money raising
stock. He married Miss Helen Kilvin in Mata-
moros, Mexico, daughter of one of the early settlers
of San Patricio County, Texas. Mr. and Mrs.
Browne had six children, four of whom survive:
Mary C, widow of the late Henry San Roman, of
Brownsville; James A., of Brownsville; William,
Assessor and Tax Collector of Cameron County,
and a prosperous farmer and stock-raiser of that



556



INDIAN WARS AND PIONEERS OF TEXAS.



county, and Albert A., Chief Clerk in the United
States Customs Office at Brownsville.

James G. Browne was an industrious, useful and
frugal citizen. He was a well-informed man and
popular with the masses. He held the office of
Sheriff of Cameron County and also that of Tax



Collector many years. He left to his children an
honorable name and a handsome estate.

He died at his home in Brownsville, surrounded
by the members of his family.

The memory of his worth is preserved by many
loving; friends.



FRANCIS M. HENRY,



TEXARKANA.



Hon. F. M. Henry, ex-meraber of the State
Senate, a lawyer of distinction, and a Democrat
who has served his party with fidelity since old
enough to vote, was born November 11, 1832, in
Rhea County, Tenn., and has lived in Texas since
the late war ; during the last twenty years at
Texarkana.

His parents were Henry and Mrs. Jane (Mont-
gomery) Henry. His father was born and reared
in Sevier County and his mother in Ehea County,
Tenn.

The subject of this memoir received an excellent
education in Tennessee and Georgia. In 1860 he
was married to Miss Mary E. Taylor, born Feb-
ruary 18, 1838, in Clark County, Ark., and has five
children: Francis Beauregard, Stonewall Jackson,
Robtert Lee, Johanna M., and Patrick Gustavus, all
of whom are living, except Francis B., who died in
infancy. Stonewall J. is practicing law at Texar-
kana and Robert L. at "Waco.

Capt. Henry commanded Company D., Nine-



teenth Regiment of Arkansas Infantry, in the Con-
federate army, east of the Mississippi river, during
the early part of the war, and a company west of
the Mississippi river in 1863-4, and in that capacity
distinguished himself as a brave and capable officer
and won for himself the confidence and respect of
his men and superior officers. He has participated
prominently in public affairs in this State during his
residence here, but has never, of his own notion,
sought political preferment. In obedience to the
wishes of the Democracy of the district, he served
as Senator in the Texas Legislature in 1876-8, and
participated in the framing and enactment of much
of the important legislation accomplished during the
session. His soundness of judgment, his learning
as a lawyer, and his grace as a speaker, won for him
a prestige that caused him to rank among the fore-
most of his colleagues. He has been very success-
ful at the bar and has been engaged in the practice
of law and dealing in real estate for the last thirty
years.



W. W. DUNN,

FORT WORTH.



The subject of this sketch was born in Washing-



Online LibraryJohn Henry BrownIndian wars and pioneers of Texas → online text (page 98 of 135)