John Howard Brown.

Lamb's biographical dictionary of the United States; online

. (page 6 of 145)
Online LibraryJohn Howard BrownLamb's biographical dictionary of the United States; → online text (page 6 of 145)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Norris ; great-granddaughter of Capt. James
Stout of the Revolutionary army, and a descen-
dent from Richard and Penelope (Van Francis)
Stout, from William Joseph Kerr, from Richard
and Elizabeth (Hawley) Booth, from Thomas
Trowbridge and from Maj.-Gen. Humphrey and
Mary (Wales) Athei-ton, all immigrants. She
was graduated from Vassar college, Poughkeep-
esi, N.Y., in 1870; founded a private school in
New York city, serving as its principal, 1879-91,
and was dean of women at Northwestern univer-
sity, 1898-99. She is the author of : Frdulein
Mina (1872); Ben and Bentie Series (1873-76);
Dorothy Delafield (1886); Those Oood-for-Naughts,
a serial (1877); A Damsel of the Eighteenth Cen-
tury (1889); Phebe (1890); Afterward (1893);
The Nine Blessings (1893); John Applegate,
Surgeon (1894); Lakewood (1895); The Gray
House of the Quarries (1898); The Grapes of
Wrath (1901). She edited Silas Marner in 1890 ;
Marmion in 1891 ; Evangeline in 1897 ; Kenil-
ivorth in 1898, and Quentin Durviard in 1899.
She also w-rote a number of short stories, letters
from Europe and educational articles, as well as
contributions to the Methodist Quarterly Review
and The Christian Advocate.

NORRIS, Moses, senator, was born in Pitts-
fleld, N.H. , Sept. 16, 1799 ; son of Moses and. Com-
fort (Leavett) Norris ; grandson of Moses and
Susannah L. (Gordon) Norris, and of Benjamin
and Esther (Towle) Leavett, and a descendant of
Nicholas and Sarah (Coxe) Norris. Nicholas
Norris, of English extraction, born in Ireland in
1640, came to America as a stowaway about 1654,
and settled in Hampton and subsequently Exeter,
N.H. Moses was graduated at Dartmouth col-
lege in 1838 ; was admitted to the bar in 1833,
and settled in practice in Barnstead, N.H. He
removed to Pittsfield and from there to Manches-
ter, N.H., in 1849, where he continued his prac-
tice. He represented Pittsfield in the New
Hampshire legislature, 1837-40 and 1843, and was
speaker in 1840. He was a member of the gov-
ernor's council in 1841, and was state solicitor for



Merrimack county in 1843. He was a Democratic
representative from New Hampshire in the 28th
and 29th congresses, 1843-47, was again a repre-
sentative in the state legislature, 1847-48, and
speaker in 1847. He was elected to the U.S.
senate as successor to C. G. Atherton, whose
tei-m expired, March 3, 1849, and he served until
his death, J. S. Wells completing the term.
He was married to Abigail Brown, daughter of
Atkins and Rhoda (Choate) Todd of Portsmouth,
N.H. He died in Washington, D.C., Jan. 11,1855.
NORRIS, William Fisher, ophthalmologist,
was born in Philadelphia, Pa., Jan. 6, 1839 ; son
of Dr. George Washington and Mary Pleasants
(Fisher) Norris ; grandson of Joseph Parker and
Elizabeth Hill (Fox) Norris, and of William
Wharton and Mary Pleasants (Fox) Fisher. He
was a descendant of Isaac (1671-1735), the immi-
grant (1693), and Mary (Lloyd) Norris, and of
Thomas and Mary (Jones) Lloyd. He was grad-
uated at the University of Pennsylvania, A.B.,
1857, A.M., 1860, and M. D., 1861; was resident
physician of the Pennsylvania hospital, 1861-63 ;
assistant surgeon in the U.S. army, 1863-65 ; was
for over a year surgeon in charge of Douglas
General hospital, Washington, D.C., and was
brevetted captain for meritorious service during
the war. He was an eye specialist in Philadel-
phia, 1865-73 ; clinical professor of the diseases
of the eye in the medical department of the
University of Pennsylvania, 1873-91 ; honorary
professor of ophthalmology, 1888-91, and in 1891
became professor of ophthalmology. He was a
surgeon to tlie Wills eye hosijital, 1872-91 ; a fel-
low of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia,
and president of its ophthalmic section in 1894 ;
a member of the Pathological Society of Philadel-
phia, and its vice-president in 1877 ; a mem-
ber of the Academy of Natural Science ; of the
American Philosophical society, and of the
American Ophthalmological society, of which he
was vice-president in 1879 and president, 1885-89.
He was married, July 4, 1873, to Rosa C,
daughter of Hieronymus Buchmann, and after
the death of his first wife he married, June 13,
1899, Annetta Gulp, daughter of George A. Earn-
shaw of Gettysburg, lieutenant-colonel of the
138th Pennsylvania volunteers. He is the author
of various papers on intraocular tumors, heredi-
tary atrophy of the optic nerves, association of
gray degeneration of the optic nerves with ab-
normal patellar tenden reflexes, ivory exostoses
of the orbit, administration of ether in Bright's
disease of the kidneys, etc., and of : Medical Oph-
thalmology in Pepper's System of Medicine ; Ver-
such iXber Hornhaut EntziX^idung , with Prof. S.
Strieker, Vienna (1869); A Contribution to the
Anatomy of the Human Retina (1893); A Text-
Book of Ophthalmology, with Dr. C. A. Oliver



[24]



NORTH



NORTH



(1893) ; A Contribution to the Anatomy of the
Human Retina, with Dr. James Wallace (1894).
He also edited : A System of Diseases of the Eye,
by American, British, French, Dutch and Spanish
authors (4 vols., 1897-1900), in which he himself
contributed the article on cataract.

NORTH, Caleb, soldier, was born in Chester
county. Pa., July 15, 1753. He was a merchant
in Coventry, Pa., at tlie outbreak of the Revolu-
tionary war. He was commissioned captain in
the 4th battalion, Jan. 5, 1776, was in the Canada
and northern New York campaign ; was promoted
major and transferred to the 10th Pennsylvania,
March 13, 1777, and served under Gen. Anthony
Wayne at Paoli, where he formed a rear guard,
and saved the brigade from capture. He was
present at the battle of Germantown ; was pro-
moted lieutenant-colonel and ti-ansferred to the
11th Pennsylvania, Oct. 23, 1777 ; served in the
battle of Monmouth ; was transferred to the 9tli
Pennsylvania, July 1, 1778, and to the 3d Penn-
sylvania, Jan. 17, 1781, and took part in the
southern campaign. He conducted the prisoners
of Cornwallis's army from Virginia to York and
Lancaster, Pa., and Tarleton's legion to Phila-
delphia. He was retired from the army Jan. 1,
1783. He removed from Coventry to Philadelphia,
where he was made high sherifj in 1819. He was
president of the Pennsylvania branch. Society of
the Cincinnati, 1838-40, and the last survivor of
the field-officers of the Pennsylvania line. He
died in Philadelphia, Pa., Nov. 7, 1840.

NORTH, Edward, educator, was born in Berlin,
Conn., March 9, 1830 ; the fourth son of Reuben
and Hulda (Wilcox) North ; grandson of Simeon
North, of Middletown, Conn., and a descendant
in the eighth generation of John North (1615-1691),
who came to Boston in 1635, on the ship Susan
and Ellen ; was an original proprietor and settler
of the town of Farmington, Conn. (1653), which
was the first ofifshoot from the church of the Bev.
Thomas Hooker of Hartford, Conn. He married
Hannah, daughter of Thomas Bird, and had two
sons, John and Samuel, who were with their
father included in the eighty-four original land
owners of Farmington. Edward North was pre-
pared for college in Worthington academy, grad-
uated at Hamilton college in 1841 and engaged
in teaching, 1841-43. He was married, July 31,
1844. to Mary Frances, only daughter of S. Newton
Dexter of Whitesboro, N.Y. He was professor
of Latin and Greek, and of Greek language and
literature in Hamilton college, 1843-1901, necrol-
ogist from 1855, a trustee from 1881, a member of
the executive committee from 1891, and emeritus
professor of Greek language and literature from
1901. He was an active member of the conven-
tion which organized the University Convocation
in 1863, and was president of the New York



state teachers' association in 1865. He was act-
ing president of Hamilton college from the death
of President Darling, April 30, 1891 , until the
accession of President Stryker in 1893. He was-
elected to membership in the American Philo-
logical association ; the American Philosophical
association ; the New York Historical society ; the
Oneida Historical society ; the Hellenic Physiolog-
ical Society of Constantinople, and the Albany
Institute. He received tlie degree of A.M. from
Brown in 1844, of L.H.D. from the regents of
the University of the State of New York in 1869,
and of LL.D. from Madison (Colgate) university
in 1887. He edited ' ' Alumniana " in the Hamilton
Monthly from 1856.

NORTH, Elisha, physician, was born in Goshen,
Conn., Jan. 8, 1768 ; son of Dr. Joseph and Lucy
(Cowles) North ; grandson of Joseph and Martha
(Denny) Smith North ; and a descendant of John
and Hannah (Bird) North, Boston, 1635, Farm-
ington, Conn., 1653. Elisha North's father was
a self-taught physician and surgeon, and his-
grandfather was a farmer. He studied medi-
cine under Lemuel Hopkins at Hartford, and
Benjamin Rush at Philadelphia, Pa. He was-
admitted to practice and settled in Goshen, Conn. ,
where he was married to Hannah Beach, and
where his son Dr. Erasmus Darwin Nortli (1806-
1858) was born. Inl813 he removed to New London,
Conn. He made a special study of vaticination ;,
was among the first to practice it successfully in
the United States, and he introduced vaccine
matter in New York. He also devoted much
study to diseases of the eye and established at Ne^v
London the first eye infirmary in the United
States, in 1817. He was very successful in his
treatment of the new disease called spotted fever
which was epidemic in New England, 1806-10.
He is the author of : A Treatise on a Malignant
Epidemic commonly known as Spotted Fever (1811):
Outlines of the Science of Life (1839); and Uncle-
Toby's Pilgrim's Progress in Phrenology (1836).
He died in New London, Conn., Dec. 89, 1843.

NORTH, Erasmus Darwin, microscopist, was
born in Goshen, Conn., Sept. 4, 1806 ; son of Dr
Elisha (q.v.) and Hannah (Beach) North. He
was graduated from the University of North
Carolina, A.B., 1836, A.M., 1831, and from Yale,
M.D., 1833. He was instructor in elocution at
Yale, 1830-33 and 1837-54, and published a treatise
on " Practical Speaking" that became recognized
as authority on the subject. After his resigna-
tion from Yale he devoted himself to scientific
and literary studies and made notable investiga-
tions in microscopy. Some of his scientific
papers appeared in the American Journal of
Science. He was married in 1836, to Phoebe Sum-
merville, who died in 1841, leaving two children.
He died in Westfield, Mass., June 17, 1856.



[251



NORTH



XORTHEN



NORTH, Simeon, educator, was born in Berlin,
Conn., Sept. 7, 1803; son of Col. Simeon North,
and a descendant of John and Hannah (Bird)
North, original proprietors and settlers in Farm-
ington. Conn., in 1653. He was graduated at
Yale college, A.B., 1825, A.M., 1828; attended
the Yale Divinity school, 1825-28, and was a tutor
at Yale, 1827-29. He was professor of ancient
languages in Hamilton college, Clinton, N. Y. ,
1829-39, and was president of the college, succeed-
ing the Rev. Dr. Joseph Penney, 1839-57, when
he resigned and lived in retirement at Clinton,
until his death. He was ordained to the Congre-
gational ministry in 1843 ; was a trustee of Ham-
ilton college, 1839-84, and of Auburn Theological
seminary, 1840-49. He received the degree of
LL.D. from Western Reserve college in 1843,
and that of D.D. from Wesleyan universit}' in
1849. He was married April 31, 1835, to Frances
Harriet, daughter of Professor Thomas Hubbard,
M.D., of Yale. He was the century annalist of
Hamilton college in 1872, and is the author of :
The American System of Collegiate Education
(1839) ; Faith in the World's Conversion (1843);
Anglo-Saxon Literaturz, an address (1847); Tlie
Weapons in Christian Warfare (1849); Obedience
in Death (1849), and Half-Century Letter of
Reminiscences (1879). See Memorial of President
North (1884). He died on his farm at Clinton,
N. Y.. Feb. 9, 1884.

NORTH, William, senator, was born in Fort
Frederick, Peraaquid, Maine, in 1735 ; son of
Capt. John and Elizabeth (Pitson) North ; grand-
son of John North and of James Pitson of Boston,
Mass. John Nortli, the immigrant, was a native
of West Meath, Ire-
land. came to America
in 1780, and settled
in Peraaquid, Lincoln
county Maine. Capt.
John North com-
manded Fort Fred-
erick and Fort St.
George during the
French and Indian
war ; was the first
surveyor of lands in
Pemaquid, and judge
of the court of com-
mon pleas from the
organization of Lin-
coln county in 1760
William removed with
Mass., where he was
educated and placed with a merchant until the
closing of the port in 1774. He entered the Revo-
lutionary army in 1775. He was commissioned 3d
lieutenant in Knox's regiment of Continental
artillery in whicli lie served from IMay 9, 1776, to




until his death in 1763.
his mother to Boston,



[26]



Jan. 1, 1777. He was promoted captain in Col.
Jackson's Additional Continental regiment May
10, 1777, and led his company at the battle of
Monmouth. He was transferred to Spencei-'s
regiment April 32, 1779, which became the 16tli
Massac liusetts, July 23, 1780, and was aide-de-
camp to Baron Steuben from May, 1779, to No-
vember, 1783. Steuben made him one of his
sub-inspectors in introducing and perfecting his
military system in the Continental army. He
was promoted major of the 3d U.S. regiment Oct.
30, 1780 ; transferred to the 9th Massachusetts
regiment Jan. 1, 1781 ; to tlie 4t'h Massachusetts
regiment Jan. 1, 1783, and attended Baron Steu-
ben in the Virginia campaign and was present
at the surrender of Cornwallis. He was bre-
vetted major Sept. 11, 1783. He served as in-
spector of the army from April 15, 1784, to June
35, 1788 ; was promoted major of the 3d U. S.
regiment Oct. 20, 1786 ; adjutant-general of the
U.S. army, with the rank of brigadier-general,
July 19, 1798, and was honorably discharged from
tlie service June 15, 1800. He was married Oct.
14, 1787, to Mary, daughter of James Duane, of
New York city. He settled in Duanesburg, N. Y. ;
represented his district in the New York assem-
bly several times ; served as speaker, and was ap-
pointed by Governor Jay U.S. senator to fill the va-
cancy caused by the resignation of John Sloss Ho-
bart. May 5, 1798, serving from May 21, 1798,
until the election of James Watson by the legis-
lature in 1799. He was appointed adjutant-gen-
eral of the U.S. army March 27, 1812, but declined
to serve. Baron Steuben bequeathed the larger
part of his property to him at his death, which he
in turn divided among his military oomiDanions.
He was one of the first canal commissioners of New
York, and a member of the Society of the Cin-
cinnati. He died in New York city, Jan. 3, 1836.
NORTHEN, William Jonathan, governor of
Georgia, was born in Jones county, Ga., July 9,
1835 ; son of Capt. Peter and Louise M. (Davis)
Nortben ; grandson of "SVilliam and Margaret
Northen, who settled in North Carolina, and of
Abner Davis, and a descendent of John Northen,
of England, who settled on the eastern shore of
Virginia in 1635. He was graduated at Mercer
university in 1853 ; taught a high school , 1854-.=j6 ;
was an assistant instructor in the Mount Zion
high school, 1856-57, and succeeded Dr. Carlisle
Beeraan as principal of the .school, 1857-61. He
was married Dec. 19, 1860, to Mattie M., daughter
of Thomas Neel", of Mt. Zion, Ga. He served in
the Confederate army as a private in the com-
pany commanded by his father, 1861-65, was
principal of the'high school at Mt. Zion. 1865-72,
and engaged in farming in Hancock county,
1874-90. He was a member of the Democratic
state convention, in 1867 ; a representative in the



NORTHROP



NORTHROP




state legislature from Hancock county, 1887-79
and 1880-81 ; a state senator, 1884-85, and served
as chairman of the educational committee. He
was governor of Georgia, 1890-94, and in 1894 be-
came manager of the Georgia
Immigration and Investment
bureau. He was president
of the Hancock County
farmers' club, vice-president
of the State Agricultural
society for several years, and
president of the same, 1886-
88, and president of the Young Farmers' Club
of the Southern States, 1884. He was elected a
trustee of Mercer university in 1877 ; was president
of the trustees of Washington institute for eight
years, and received the degree LL.D. from Mercer
university in 1892, from Richmond college, Va.,
in 1894, and from Baylor university, Texas, in
1900. He contributed to leading agricultural and
educational journals in the south.

NORTHROP, Cyrus, educator, was born in
Ridgefleld, Conn., Sept. 30, 1834; son of Cyrus
and Polly Bouton (Fancher) Northrop; grandson
of Josiah and Rebecca (Olmstead) Northrop and
a descendant of English ancestors. He was
graduated at Yale, A.B., 1857, and LL.B., 1859 ;
was admitted to the bar in 1860, settled in
practice in Norwalk, Conn., and was clerk of the
Connecticut house of representatives in 1861 and
of the state senate in 1862. He was married,
Sept. 30, 1862, to Anna Elizabeth, daughter of
Joseph Davenport Warren of Stamford, Conn.
He was editor-in-chief of the New Haven Daily
Palladium, 1862-63 ; was professor of rhetoric and
English literature in Yale college, 1863-84, and
served as collector of the port of New Haven. In
1884 he was elected president of the University
of Minnesota. He was moderator of the Con-
gregational National Council at Worcester in
1889, and assistant moderator of the first In-
ternational Congregational Council in London,
England, in 1891. He received the degree of LL.D.
from Yale in 1886, and published several ad-
dresses.

NORTHROP, Henry Pinckney, R.C. bishop,
was born in Charleston, S.C, May 5, 1842; son
of Claudian Byrd and Hannah Eliza (Anderson)
Northrop ; grandson of Amos and Mary (Bellinger)
Northrop, and a descendant of Edmund Bellinger,
landgrave, surveyor-general to his Majesty's plan-
tations in the Carolinas, and of Joseph Northrop,
the English immigrant, Milford, Conn., 1639.
He studied at Georgetown college, was graduated
at Mount St. Mary's college, Emmitsburg, Md.,
in 1860, and attended the theological seminary at
Emmitsburg, 1860-64, and the American college
at Rome, Italy, 1864-65. He was ordained priest
at Rome, Italy, June 25, 1865; was assistant



[W]



at the Church of the Nativity, New York city,
1865-66 ; assistant pastor at St. Joseph's, Charles-
ton, S.C, 1866-68, and missionary priest at New
Berne, N.C., 1868-72. He was assistant rector of
the pro-cathedral and pastor at Sullivan's island,
Charleston, S.C, 1872вАФ77, and was rector of St.
Patrick's, Charleston, S.C, 1877-82. He was ap-
pointed vicar-apostolic of North Carolina and
was consecrated as titular bishop of " Rosalia " at
Baltimore, Md., by Archbishop Gibbons, assisted
by Bishops Keane and Becker. He was trans-
ferred by papal brief to the see of Charleston,
S.C, Jan. 27, 1883, as successor to Bishop Pati-ick
N. Lynch, who died, Feb. 26, 1882, but continued
the administration of the vicariate of North Caro-
lina until July 1, 1888, when he was relieved by
Bishop Leo Haid, O.S.B. He was a member of
the third plenary council of Baltimore in 1884.

NORTHROP, Lucius Bellinger, soldier, was
born in Charleston, S.C, Sept. 8, 1811 ; son of
Amos and Mary (Bellinger) Northrop. He was
graduated at the United States Military acad-
emy and brevetted 2d lieutenant in the 7th
infantry, July 1, 1831. He served on frontier
and scouting duty, 1831-34 ; was transferred to
the 1st dragoons, Aug. 14, 1833, was promoted 2d
lieutenant of the 1st dragoons, July 21, 1834, was
stationed at Fort Gibson, Indian Territory, in
1835, and on a sick leave of absence, 1835-37. He
was promoted 1st lieutenant, July 4, 1836, and
served on frontier duty at Fort Gibson, Indian
Territory, 1837-39. He returned to Charleston,
S.C, in 1839, attended Jefferson Medical college
at Philadelphia, Pa., and practised occasionally
on charity patents in his native city. He was
dropped from the U.S. army for that reason,
Jan. 8, 1848, but when Jefferson Davis became
secretary of war, he was re-appointed with his
former rank and promoted captain of the 1st
dragoons, July 21, 1848. He practised medicine
in Charle.ston, S.C, 1853-61. He resigned from
the U.S. army Jan.. 8. 1861, was appointed
copimissary-general by President Davis, March 16,
1861, and was head of the commissary department
at Richmond,
Va., until Feb.
16, 1865, when
he was succeed-
ed by Gen. I. JI.
St. John. He
gained the ill-
will of General
Beauregard
after the battle

of Bull Run, that ofHcer charging him with de-
laying the progress of the battle by failing to
supply provisions, which charge he denied. He
was also charged with treating Federal prisoners
inhumanely and with being responsible for the




NORTHRUP



NORTHRUP



law passed early in 1864 abolisliing the office of
oommissaiy of prisons. His removal from office
was unsuccessfully contested until Feb. 16, 1865,
when he retired to North Carolina and engaged
in farming, but was arrested by the government
in July, 18C.J, and confined in Richmond until
November of that 3'.ear. He settled on a farm in
Charlottesville, Va., in 1866, where be resided for
many years. He is the author of : The Confeder-
ate Commissariat at Manassas in "Battles and
Leaders of the Civil War " (Vol. I., p. 261, 188?) in
which he defends liimself against the charges of
General Beauregard. He died in a soldier's home
at Pikesville, Md., Feb. 9, 1894.

NORTHRUP, Ansel Judd, lawyer and author,
was born in Smithfield, Madison county, N.Y.,
June 30, 1833 ; son of Rensselaer and Clarissa
(Judd) Northrup ; grand.son of Amos and Betsey
(Stedman) Northrup, and of Ansel and Electa
(Jones) Judd, and descended from Joseph North-
rup, immigrant from England, one of the first
settlers of Jlilford, Conn., in 1639. He was
graduated at Hamilton college, A.B., 1858, A.M.,
1861, studied law at Columbia Law school, New
York city, 1858-59, and settled in practice in
Syracuse, N.Y., in 1859. He was U.S. circuit
court commissioner, 1870-97 ; judge of Onondaga
county, N.Y., 1883-94.; commissioner to revise
the statutes and codes of New York, 1895-1900,
and in June, 1897, was made a U.S. commis-
sioner. He was vice-president and president of
the Loyal League during and after the civil war,
and a lay commissioner to the general assembly
of the Presbyterian church, at Saratoga, N.Y., in
1890. He received the degree of LL.D. from
Hamilton college in 1895. He was married Nov.
24, 1863, to Eliza S., daughter of Thomas Brocka-
way and Ursula Ann (Elliott) Fitch, of Syracuse,
N.Y. He is the author of : Camps and Tramps
in the Adirondacks, and Grayling Fishing in
Northern Michigan (1880); Sconset Cottage Life
(1881 and 1901) ; The Powers and Duties of Elders
in the Presbyterian Church (1890); Slavery in
Neiv York, a Historical Sketch (1900); Northrup
Genealogy, and other papei-s and addresses.

NORTHRUP, Birdsey Grant, educationist,
was born in Kent, Conn. , July 16, 1817 ; son of
Thomas G. and Aurelia (Curtis) Northrup, and
grandson of Lieut. Amos Northrup, Yale, A. B.,
1763, A.M., 1765. He was graduated at Yale,
A.B., 1841, and at Yale Theological seminaiy in
1845. He was married Feb. 18, 1846, to Harriet
Eliza Chichester. He was ordained pastor of the
Congregational church, Saxon ville, Mass., March
10, 1847, and resigned in 1857. He was agent of
the Massachusetts board of education, 1857-67,
and secretary of the Connecticut board of edu-
cation, 1867-83, where he directed the movement
for educating Chinese and Japanese youth in



[28]



American colleges and schools. In 1872 the gov-
ernment of Japan invited him to establish a sys-
tem of public education in that country, which
he declined, believing that he could serve them
better in the United States. He went abroad
in 1871, and again in 1877, to investigate the
educational systems of Europe, and the schools
for the study of forestry and those for industriai
education. He devoted much time to tree-plant-
ing ; originated and introduced the observance of
Arbor Day in the public schools, and for his at-
tention to sanitary and aesthetic home surround-
ings he was called the " Father of Village Im-
provement Societies." He Avas a member of the
board of visitors of the U.S. Military academy,
1863-64 ; president of the American Institute of
Instruction, 1864-66 ; of the National Association
of School Superintendents in 1866, and of the
National Educational association in 1873. It was
through his influence that Daniel Hand, of Guil-
ford, Conn., gave to the American Missionary
society $1.500, 000 for the education of the colored



Online LibraryJohn Howard BrownLamb's biographical dictionary of the United States; → online text (page 6 of 145)