John Howard Brown.

Lamb's biographical dictionary of the United States; online

. (page 122 of 142)
Online LibraryJohn Howard BrownLamb's biographical dictionary of the United States; → online text (page 122 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

tween 1747 and 1762, and projected and promoted
the establishment of a Connecticut colony in Penn-
sylvania, 1753-55. He served as lieutenant-colo-
nel of a regiment sent from Connecticut to
reduce Crown Point, N.Y., in AugTist, 1755, and
was colonel of a regiment in the expedition
against Canada in 1758. He was an assistant to
the governors of Connecticut, 1762-84, and went
to England in 1763, to get from the crown con-
firmation of title to lands selected by the Connec-
ticut colony in the "Wyoming region. He was
the first of the commissioners sent to the stamp-
act congress from Connecticut. In 1784 he with-
drew from the governor's council rather than aid
in enforcing the stamp act. He was associate
judge of the superior court, 1766-89, and chief
justice, 1789-98. He was a delegate to congress
from Connecticut, 1774-79 and 1780-83, a mem-
ber of the state committee of safety, 1775-76, and
declined an appointment as brigadier-general of
militia in December, 1776. Harvard conferred
upon him the honorary degree of A.M. in 1744
and Yale gave him that of LL.D. in 1787. He
died in Windham, Conn., May 13, 1807.

DYER, EJisha, governor of Rhode Island, was
bom in Providence, R.I., July 20, 1811; son of
EMsha and Frances (Jones) Dyer, and a lineal
descendant of William Dyre, an immigrant from
England to Boston in 1635, and of Mary Dyre, his
wife, who was hanged on Boston common be-
cause of her Quaker principles. Elisha was
graduated from Brown university in 1829, and
became clerk in the coimting-house of Elisha
Dyer & Company, commission merchants of
Providence, of which firm his father was the
head, and to which he was admitted a partner in
1831. In 1835 he was made agent for the Dyer-
ville manufacturing company, established at that
time by his father, and at his father's death in
1854, he became owner of the property

This he

kept until 1867 when illness forced him to dispose
of it. He was a delegate to various political con-
ventions, and on May 3, 1840, was chairman
of the Young men's Whig national convention at
Baltimore. He was elected adjutant -general of
Rhode Island in June, 1840, to which office he
was re-elected for five successive years. He was
active in this capacity during the Dorr war un-
der Gov. Samuel W. King. He was elected gov-
ernor of Rhode Island in 1857, and was re-elected
in 1858, declining a third nomination in 1859.
He volunteered for service in the civil war, in
place of his son who was disabled, and served for
three months as captain of Company B, 10th reg-
iment of Rhode Island volunteers. He was a
member of the Rhode Island art association and
its second vice-president in 1853; a member of
the United States agricultural society and its
vice-president in 1857; member of the American
academy of arts and sciences; a trustee of the
Butler hospital association; president of the
Young men's Christian association, 1857-58;
president of the first National musical congress,
Boston, 1869 ; honorary member of the Franklin
lyceum; of the Providence association of me-
chanics and manufacturers and of the National
board of popular education. He was a delegate
to the international agricultural exhibition at
Hambiu'g, in 1863; commissioner at the inter-
national exhibition in London, 1871, and hon-
orary commissioner at the Vienna exposition in
1873. He was married in 1833 to Anna Jones,
daughter of Thomas C. Hoppin. He published
A Summer's Travel to Find a German Home (1864).
He died in Providence, R.I., May 17, 1890.

DYER, Elisha, governor of Rhode Island, was
born in Providence, R.I., Nov. 28, 1839; son of
Gov. Elisha and Anna Jones (Hoppin) Dyer. He
entered Brown uni-
versity in 1856, leav-
ing at the end of his
sophomore year to go
abroad. He was
gz-aduated from the
University of Giessen
in 1860 with the de-
gree of Ph.D., and
then returned in time
to enter the civil war
as sergeant in the 1st
R.I. light battery. He
was severely injured
by an accident on his
way to the field of
battle and never re-
covered entirely from its effects. He was colonel
on the staff of Governor Smith, 1863-66, and in
1867, on the formation of the marine artillery
company, he entered as corporal, becoming














t '■^■












(^^^Ja^o^ /)y-^^




lieutenant-colonel in 1869, and resigning in 1871.
In 1875 a new militia law was enforced and he
was placed in command of the combined artillery
of the state. He was a state senator in 1878, and
a representative in the General assembly in 1881.
He was elected adjutant-general of Rhode Island,
Feb. 7, 1883, and served by re-election until Oct.
31, 1895, when he voluntarily retired. In 1897 he
was elected governor of Rhode Island, and was
re-elected in 1898 and 1899. He was married to a
daughter of Col. William and Mary Brayton
("Anthony ) Viall of Providence, R.I.

DYER, Heman, clergyman, was bom in
Shaftsbury, Vt., Sept. 24, 1810; son of Henry and
Sarah (Coy) Dyer; grandson of Edward and Eliza-
beth (Fish) Dyer, and a descendant of William and
Mary Dyre. William Dyre was one of the eight-
een original owners of the state of Rhode Island,

and his wife was
hanged on Boston
Common, June 1,
1660, for her Quaker
faith. He was grad-
uated from Kenyon
college, Ohio, in 1833,
and was later or-
dained a Protestant
Episcopal clergyman.
In 1840 he became
principal of a school
in Pittsburg, Pa. , re-
signing in 1843 to
accept a chair in the
Western university
of Pennsylvania, of
which institution he became president in 1844.
In 1849 he removed to Philadelphia, Pa., where
he was employed by the American Sunday school
union and soon afterward became secretary and
general manager of the Evangelical knowledge
society in New York. In 1854 he was made edi-
tor of the Episcopal Quarterly Review, and in 1860
declined the bishopric of Kansas. He became a
member of the board of missions in 1868, and in
1880 retired from active work. He was married
in 1850, to Cornelia Catherine, daughter of Arad
Joy. He received from Trinity college the hon-
orary degree of D.D. in 1843. He is the author of:
Voice of the Lord upon the Waters (1870) ; and Bec-
ords of an Active Life (1886).

DYER, Nehemiah Mayo, naval officer, was
born in Provincetown, Mass., Feb. 19, 1839; son
of Henry and Sallie (Mayo) Dyer; grandson of
David and Martha (Knowles) Dyer, and of Nehe-
miah Doane and Malatiah (Rich) Mayo, and a
descendant of the Rev. John Mayo, from Eng-
land, who was settled over the old North church,
Boston. He entered the volunteer navy, April
4, 1862, as acting master's mate and served in

.//, ^^to.



that grade in the western gulf squadron until he
was promoted acting ensign for ' ' gallant and meri-
torious conduct " May 18, 1863. He was then
appointed to the command of the Eugenie, en-
gaged in blockading off Mobile, and in despatch
duty. On Jan. 12, 1864, he was promoted acting
master and on July 19, 1864, was assigned to the
Metacomet, in which "

vessel, as a consort
oit\i& Hartford, which
led the attack in the
passage of the forts
and the capture of
the Confederate fleet
in Mobile bay, Aug.
5, 1864, he received in
person the surrender
of the gunboat Selina,
after one shell from
the Metacomet had
killed nine and
wounded eleven of
the Selina^s men. He
was ordered to the Hartford, Farragut's flag-ship,
Oct. 28, 1864, and shortly afterward was given
command of the Randolph, with which he co oper-
ated with the forces of General Granger during
the winter of 1864-65, in the operations against
Mobile and Pascagoula, rendering important ser-
vice in this connection in Mississippi sound and
Pascagoula river. On April 1, 1865, his vessel was
sunk by a torpedo in Blakely river, during the
advance upon the defences of Mobile. He was
promoted acting volunteer lieutenant, and upon
the surrender of the Confederate fleet under
Commander Farrand in the Tombigbee river, he
was given command successively of two of the
surrendered vessels, the Black Diamond and the
Morgan. In June, 1865, he was appointed to com-
mand the Elk, and in July was transferred to the
Stockdale and proceeded to Mississippi sound to
protect the people along that shore. In Septem-
ber he took command of the Mahaska at Appa-
lachicola, Fla. , and in October was transferred to
the Glasgow at Pensacola. In April, 1866, he was
ordered to report to the bureau of navigation at
Washington and remained there on special duty
until May, 1868. On March 12, 1868, he was com-
missioned a lieutenant, and on August 27, joined
the Dacotah at Valparaiso. He was commissioned
lieutenant-commander, Dec. 28, 1868, and from
September, 1869, to March, 1870, commanded the
Cyane at Sitka, Alaska. He then joined the Pen-
sacola at San Francisco, and was soon transferred
to the Ossipee with which he cruised to lower
California and Mexico. In September, 1870, he
was ordered to the South Pacific station; was
sent home, Aug. 22, 1871, and in October, 1871,
was assigned to the Charlestown navy yard. He



took command of the torpedo boat Mayjloicer at

Norfolk, Va., Nov. 24, 1873, and on April 10, 1874,

was transferred to the Pinta. In February, 1876,

he was ordered as executive officer of the New

Hampshire, fitting out at Norfolk, for permanent

flag-ship at Port Royal. A few months later he

was assigned to equipment duty at the Charles -

town navy yard, and in 1879 was transferred to

the receiving ship Wabash. In 1881 he joined the

Tennessee, in 1883 became lighthouse inspector,

and in the same year was promoted commander.

He commanded the Marion on the Asiatic station,

1887-90; was again at Charlestown navy yard,

and lighthouse inspector at Portland, Maine,

1890-97, and on March 21, 1897, was promoted to

the rank of captain, having been assigned to the

command of the Philadelphia in the Pacific

squadron. He was at Mare Island, Cal., Aug. 31,

1897, when he was ordered to the command of


the cruiser Baltimore, with which ship he went
to Honolulu and thence to the port of Hong
Kong, China. On May 1, 1898, as commander of
the Baltimore he participated in the naval engage-
ment resulting in the destruction of the Spanish
fleet in Manila bay by Commodore Dewey, and
the city council of Baltimore, Md., on receiving
the news of the exploit voted to purchase and
present to the gallant captain a sword appropri-
ately inscribed. He was the recipient of one of

the medals presented by congress to every officer
and man in Dewey's fleet. He received a medal
from the Massachusetts himiane society for jump-
ing overboard from the Ossipee during a gale in
the Pacific, and saving the life of a sailor.

DYER, Oliver, author, was born in Porter,
Niagara county, N.Y., April 36, 1824; son of Jere-
miah and Mary Dyer. He was educated at the
public schools and was principal of a school in

Lockport, N.Y., 1841-44. He subsequently took
a course at the Genesee Wesleyan seminary at
Lima, N.Y. He became interested in ortho-
graphic reform and studied Isaac Pitman-s phono-
graphic shorthand system, becoming an expert
in the use of shorthand, and in 1848 accepted the
position of reporter in the senate at Washington.
He was admitted to the bar in 1854 and practised
in New York city. The success of his sketch of
" The Wickedest Man in New York " (1868), led
to his employment on the staffs of the New York
Sun and other papers. In 1871 he agreed to write
exclusively for the New York Ledger. He was or-
dained a minister in the Swedenborgian church
in 1876 and became pastor of the New Church so-
ciety at Mount Vernon, N.Y., where he minis-
tered without pay. He is the author of: Great
Senators of the United States Forty Years Ago
(1889); Life of Andreio Jackson (1892). In 1899
he was a resident of Warren, R.I.

DYER, Sidney, author and clergyman, was
born in Cambridge, N.Y., Feb. 11, 1814; son of
John Stevens and Eunice (Hurd) Dyer; grandson
of William Dyer, and a descendant of William
Dyre, who early settled in the Massachusetts col-
ony. He studied in classi«al schools in New York
city ; served in the Black Hawk war in 1832-33 ;
returned to New York, studied theology, and be-
came a missionary among the Indians, and subse-
quently secretary of the Indian mission board in
Louisville, Ky. In 1852 he became pastor of the
first Baptist church at Indianapolis, Ind. In 1859
he was chosen district secretary of the American
Baptist publication society, which position he
held for twenty-seven years, and then retired
from active service and settled in De Land, Fla.,
subsequently removing to Germantown, Pa. He
is the author of numerous contributions to period-
icals, and of many songs. He also published two
cantatas, Buth and The Winter Evening Entertain-
ment; Songs and Ballads (1853) ; and a series of
eight volumes on natural history and science:
(rrcat Wondei-s in Little Tilings, Home and Abroad,
Black Diamonds, Boys and Birds, Hoofs and Claws,
Ocean Gardens, Elenor Dale Lyceum, and Beatttiful
Ladder ; and a volume of original hymns entitled
Songs in the Night (1899).

DYER, William Henry, silk culturist, was born
on the farm of his father on Pocasset Neck, R.I.,
Aug. 12, 1817 ; son of Deacon Daniel P. and Abby
(Williams) Dyer, and a descendant in the sixth
generation from William and Mary Dyer through
Charles, who settled on Ashuntick Neck, R.I.,
known afterward as Pocasset Neck. Deacon
Daniel P. Dyer was a descendant on the female
side by marriage from Roger Williams, and Abby
Williams was a direct descendant from the same
worthy progenitor. William H. attended the
district school, a private school in Providence and




Kingston academy. He was educated as a farmer
and nurseryman, his father being proprietor of
the Dyer nursery. In 1836 he became interested
in the propagation of mulberry trees to furnish
food for silkworms and in the production and
preparation of silk for the manufacturers. He
conducted this business one year in Providence,
R.I., and three years in Fredericksburg, Va. In
1840 he was captain of the state militia, and in
the Dorr rebellion took sides with the law and
order party. In 1861 he joined the Federal army
and was made recruiting officer, his age exempt-
ing him from active field service. He served in
this capacity for two years. In 1875, on the death
of his father, he became sole proprietor of the
nursery and farm on Pocasset Neck. He was
married May 1, 1836, to Mary Groton, daughter
of Christopher and Sarah (Williams) Tanner. She
was a direct descendant in the sixth generation
from Roger Williams and was born and married
in the house built by Roger Williams for his son.
Of their sons, William S. was an officer in the civil
war and subsequently Indian agent in Dakota.
Daniel Pierce was a soldier in the Federal army
during the civil war and succeeded to the manage-
ment of the nursery business and Edmund Tanner
became joint proprietor with his brother Daniel
of Mulberry Grove on the death of their father.
Captain Dyer died at Pocasset, R.I., Feb. 3, 1899.

DYETT, Anthony Rainetaux, lawyer, was
born in New York city in 1834. His father was
of English and French descent and his mother
was a member of the Brevoort family and came
of Knickerbocker stock. Anthony was educated
in his native city, studied law with Hiram P.
Hastings and with Kinney & Townsend, and was
admitted to the bar in 1847, subsequently becom-
ing a member of the firm of Townsend, Dyett &
Raymond. This firm continued the law business
in New York city for forty years, when it became
Townsend & Dyett.

DYRE, William, mayor of New York, was a
son of Captain William and Mary Dyre, who
came from England to Boston, Mass. , and joined
the First church there in December, 1635. Cap-
tain Dyre was disfranchised for ' ' seditious writ-
ing " Nov. 15, 1637, removed to Rhode Island,
and w^as one of the signers of the compact of gov-
ernment for that province, March 7, 1638. He
was secretary the same year, general recorder,
1648; attorney-general, 1650-53; member of the
general court, 1661-62, 1664-66; general solic-
itor, 1665-66, and 1668, and secretary to the
council, 1669. He was commissioned commander-
in-chief upon the sea in 1653, and headed an ex-
pedition fitted out in Rhode Island against the
Dutch. His wife, Mary Dyre, was the only woman
to suffer capital punishment in all the oppression
of the Friends the world over. She accompanied

her husband on his mission to England with
Roger Williams and Dr. John Clarke to obtain
the revocation of Governor Coddington's power
in Rhode Island and while there became a con-
vert to Quakerism and a preacher in the society.
On arriving in Boston in 1657 she was imprisoned
and on the petition of her husband was permitted
to go with him to Rhode Island, but never to re-
turn to Massachusetts. She returned, however,
and with William Robinson and Marmaduke
Stevenson was tried and convicted for " their re-
belljon, sedition and presumptuous obtruding
upon us notwithstanding their being sentenced
to banishment on payne of death, as undermiaers
of the government." Robinson and Stevenson
were executed, but through the petition of her
son. Mayor William Dyre, she was reprieved on
tlie same conditions as before , but in May, 1660,
again appeared on the public streets of Boston,
and was brought before the court. May 31, and
condemned to death. She was executed June 1,
1660. Mayor William Dyre was appointed to the
military service under the crown and proposed
the conquest of New York from the Dutch in
1773. He was made collector of customs of his
territories in America by the Duke of York, July
2, 1674, and took up his residence in New York.
He was a member of the governor's council, and
in 1680 was elected mayor of the city. He was
arrested on charge of high treason by the mer-
chants of New York in 1680 and indicted in 1681.
He was placed upon trial, denied the authority of
the court, and was sent to London for trial, which
was delayed by Samuel Winder, his prosecutor,
and he was given his liberty by the council, Sept.
30, 1682. He was advanced by King Charles II.,
Jan. 4, 1682, to the position of surveyor-general
of his majesty's customs in America and held the
office till his death. He was also made king's col-
lector of customs for Pennsylvania and New Jer-
sey and removed to Penn's province, settling on a
large tract of land in Sussex county (now in Dela-
ware). In 1687 he was elected a provincial coun-
cillor of Pennsylvania for three years, but was
not allowed to take his seat. His will, dated Feb.
20, 1688, was probated June 5, 1688, and proved
in London, Sept. 4, 1690. He left surviving him,
his wife, Mary, and children, William, Edmund,
James, Sarah and Mary. He bequeathed his
estate of 2500 acres in Sussex county (Del.), and
Dyre's island, between Providence plantations
and Rhode Island, and two islands in Casco bay,
to his wife, and 2000 acres in Sussex county to
his son William, who was elected to the Pennsyl-
vania assembly in 1699, and helped to found the
Episcopal church in New Castle, Del. The date
of Mayor William Dyre's death is not known, the
time being only fixed as between the dates of
making and probating his will.





c5w. ^.Sa<^^ .

EADS, James Buchanan, engineer, was born
in Laurenceburg, Ind., May 23, 1830. He re-
inovetl with his parents to St, Louis, Mo., in 1843,
and while en route they lost their entire household
goods by fire, which calamity made it necessary
for the boy to devote his time to help support the

destitute family. He
spent his evenings in
study and acquired
a fair knowledge of

I^a^ '^S.^A^^f engineering without

V^^^ ■• #' -"^^w the aid of teachers.

a^J^if* "^^Ha While purser on a

V M';|^^^ Mississippi steamboat

;: df'MwJ'^^M ^6 constructed the

i^J^^i^^^^ .^ model of a boat on the

principle of the div-
ing-bell, which in
1840 he put into prac-
tical operation in re-
covering the cargoes
of sunken freight
boats and finally in
floating the boats with
their cargo by means of pumps which discharged
the sand and water weighting them down. He
sold out his inventions in 1845 and erected in
St. Louis the first glassworks established in the
Mississippi valley. In this he failed to make
money and he resumed the wrecking business.
In 1856 he proposed to congress a scheme by
which he agreed to keep the channels of the west-
ern rivers clear of wrecks, snags and other ob-
structions to navigation for a term of years. His
proposition was accepted by the house but was
not acted on by the senate. In 1861 he proposed
to the war department the practicability of em-
ploying light
draft iron-clad
gunboats in
w^estern rivers
and within 100
days construct-
ed eight such
vessels which
were accepted
by the govern-
ment and were first used by Commodore Foote in
the capture of Fort Henry, Feb. 6, 1862, over one
month before the Monitor encountered the Merri-
mae in Hampton Roads, Va. He also constructed
the monitor and gunboats with revolving turrets,
operated by steam, used in the capture of the
various forts on the banks of the Mississippi river
and in Mobile bay. He constructed the steel arch
railroad bridge across the Mississippi river at St.


— Tit FinST U 5. -■ - - '

Louis, 1867-74, and his method of building by the
aid of caissons the granite pillars supporting the
central arch, which had a clear span of 520 feet,
was afterward generally adopted by bridge build-
ers. This bridge, built at a cost of $6,536,729.99,
was opened to the public on July 4, 1874. He
then proposed to the government the deepening
of the entrance to the Mississippi river by means
of jetties. This suggestion was ridiculed by scien-
tific engineers, but congress finally made an appro-
priation for the improvement of the South Pass,
and on July 4, 1874, Eads satisfied the U.S. inspect-
ing officer that he had obtained the maximum
depth proposed. With liis theory thus practi-
cally demonstrated he outlined to congress in
1879 the practicability of extending the deep
water channel from his jetties at South Pass to
the mouth of the Ohio, and in 1880 the Mississippi
river commission was appointed, of which he was
made a member, and an appropriation was made
for continuing the work. After extending the
improvements for a distance up the river congress
discontinued the appropriation, but the work al-
ready done demonstrated the feasibilitj- of the
entire project. On failing to receive the support
promised by congress Mr. Eads interested himself
in the projected ship railway across the isthmus
of Tehuantepec, Mexico, and secured from the
U.S. senate in 1887 favorable action on a bill to
incorporate a private company for carrying out
the project. While so engaged he was employed
by the several authorities to devise and report
upon means for deepening the St. Johns river,
Florida, the Sacramento river, California, the
harbor at Toronto, Canada, the harbors of Brazil,
the entrance to the ports of Vera Cruz, Mexico,
and the estuary and port of Mersey, England.
He also visited and inspected the great engineer-
ing accomplishments made to the canals and
rivers of Europe, Asia and Africa. In 1884 he
was awarded the Albert prize medal given by the
Society for the encouragement of arts, manufact-
ures and commerce, organized in 1754, the first
American so honored; was president of the St.
Louis academy of sciences, 1872-74; vice-president
of the American society of civil engineers, 1882-
83 ; and a member of the National academy of
sciences from 1872. He received the honorary
degree of LL.D. from the University of the state
of Missouri in 1877. See Addresses and Papers of
James B. Eads together with a Biographical Sketch
(1884). He died at Nassau, N.P., March 8, 1887.
EAGAN, Charles Patrick, soldier, was born
in Ireland in January, 1841. He immigrated to
the United States and settled in San Francisco,
Cal. , where he was educated. He entered the




Union army June 21, 1862, and was made 1st Princeton of the home squadron and in 1854

lieutenant in the 1st Washington Territory infan-
try. He was mustered out of the volunteer ser-
vice, April 1, 1865, was appointed 2d lieutenant in
the regular army, Aug. 30, 1866, and served as

Online LibraryJohn Howard BrownLamb's biographical dictionary of the United States; → online text (page 122 of 142)