John Howard Brown.

Lamb's biographical dictionary of the United States; online

. (page 24 of 142)
Online LibraryJohn Howard BrownLamb's biographical dictionary of the United States; → online text (page 24 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


at Louisville, Ky., Feb. 13, 1891.

COLEMAN, Charles, Caryll, painter, was
born in Buffalo, N.Y., in 1840. He was educated
in the public schools of Buffalo and in 1859 went
to Europe, where for two years he studied in
France and Italy. In 1861 he returned to the
United States and served out a three years" enlist-
ment in the Union army. He returned to Europe
in 1866 and opened a studio in Rome. He was
elected a member of the London art club, and
in 1881 associate of the National academy of
design. New York city. His more important
pictures include Interior of Chapel adjoining Sala
del Cambria at Perugia; Tlie Bronze Horse of St.
Mark's, Venice (1877) ; The Troubadour, The Yoking
Monk, and Nuremberg Toivers, exhibited at Phila-
delphia at the Centennial in 1876; Decorative
Panel at the Paris Exposition of 1878 ; Venice,
Ancient and Modern (1880) ; Remote Quarter of Paris
in 1878 (1881) ; Capri Interior, Capri Reapers and
Head of Capri Girl (1886).

COLEMAN, Hamilton Dudley, representa-
tive, was born in New Orleans, La., May 12, 1845;
son of Willis Pearson and Ann Elizabeth (Head)
Coleman; grandson of Leonard and Eunice
(Pierson) Koolman and of Edmund Linguin and
Charlotte Gordon (Puckett) Head; great-grand-
son of John and Ann (Johnson ) Puckett and of
Jacob Koolman, who immigrated to America
about 1750 and settled in Philadelphia; and
great ^ grandson of Willis and Nancey (Ford)
Johnson of South Carolina. Willis Johnson was
a soldier in Marion's army. Hamilton was
educated in the New Orleans high school,
leaving school in 1862, and served actively over
three years in Virginia in the Washington artil-
lery. After the surrender of Lee's army he
returned to New Orleans where he engaged in
the manufacture of corn mills and machinery.
He was vice-president and president of the Brush
electric light company, of the Mexican exchange
in New Orleans and of the New Orleans chamber
of commerce, and vice-president of the National
board of trade. He was a charter member and
the largest individual stockholder of the New
Orleans world's exposition, 1884. He was a Re-
publican representative from the 2d district of
Louisiana in the 51st congress, 1889-91. He was
married in 1870 to Jessica Prague, and they had
three sons and one daughter.

COLEMAN, Leighton, second P. E. bishop of
Delaware and 146th in succession in the American
episcopate, was born in Philadelphia, Pa.,
May 3, 1837; son of the Rev. John and Louisa
Margaretta (Thomas) Coleman; and grandson
of John and Elizabeth Coleman. His father was
rector of Trinity church, Philadelphia, and editor

115]



COLEMAN



COLEMAN




^r^p^ii^i^^'we-t^^^^^*—^ -



of the Banner of the Cross. The son was intended
for a mercantile life and was educated to that end
at the Episcopal academy, Philadelphia. He de-
termined, however, to enter the church, and was
graduated at the General theological seminary
in 1861. He was ordained a deacon in 1860, and

admitted to the priest-
hood May 15, 1861. In
1861 he was married
to Frances Elizabeth,
daughter of Alexis
Irenee du Pont of Wil-
mington, Del. His
ministry was passed
at St. Luke's, Bustle-
ton, 1861-63 ; St.
John's, Wilmington,
Del., 1863-66; St.
Mark's.Mauch Chunk,
Pa.,1866-74; and Trin-
ity church, Toledo,
Ohio, 1874-79. From
1879 to 1887 he made his home in England on
account of his wife's health, and while there
was actively occupied with church work, being
an organizing diocesan secretary of the Church
of England temperance society during his sev-
eral years' residence at Oxford. In 1875 he
declined the bishopric of Fond-du-Lac. He was
consecrated bishop of Delaware, Oct. 18, 1888.
Trinity college conferred upon him the degree of
A.M. in 1865, Racine that of S.T.D. in 1875, and
Hobart that of LL.D. in 1888. He published A
History of The Church in America ; The History of
Lehigh Valley, and various sermons, addresses
and pastorals.

COLEMAN, Lyman, educator, was born at
Middlefield, Mass., June 14, 1796; son of Dr.
William and Achsah (Lyman) Coleman ; grand-
son of Dr. Seth and Sarah (Beecher) Coleman,
and a descendant in the 7th generation from
Thomas Coleman, who emigrated from England
to New England about 1634-35 and was among
the early settlers of Wethersfield, Conn. He
was graduated at Yale in 1817; was principal
of the Latin grammar school at Hartford, Conn. ,
1817-20, and was tutor and student of theology
at Yale, 1820-25. He was married Sept. 21, 1826,
to Maria Flynt of Munson, Mass. He was or-
dained to the Congregational ministiy, Oct. 19,
1825, and preached at Belchertown, Mass., 1825-
32. He was principal of Burr seminary, Man-
chester, Vt., 1832-37, and of the English
department, Phillips academy. Andover, 1837-42.
After study in Germany, 1842^14, he was profes-
sor of Greek at Amherst college, 1844r-45, and of
German, 1845-46; professor of German at the
College of New Jersey, 1847-49; principal of
the Presbyterian academy, Philadelphia, Pa.,



1849-58 ; and engaged in literary labors, 1858-61.
He visited Egypt, the desert, and Palestine, in
1856, with six young men, and prepared a map of
Palestine. In 1861 he accepted the chair of Latin
and Greek at Lafayette college, and in 1868 was
transferred to that of Latin language and litera-
ture. He visited California and the Yosemite
in 1872 and ascended Gray's peak when in his
seventy-sixth year. He received the lionorary
degree of M.A. from Middlebury college in 1833,
and that of LL.D. from the College of New Jer-
sey in 1847. He published Antiquities of the Chris-
tian Church (1841) ; Tlie Apostolical and Primitive
Church (1844); Historical Geography of the Bible
(1850) ; Ancient Christianity Exemplified (1852) ;
Historical Text-hook and Atlas of Biblical Geography
(1854) ; Prelacy and Ritualism (1869) ; and Lyman
Genealogy. He died in Easton, Pa., March 16, 1882.
COLEMAN, William Tell, merchant, was
born in Cynthiana, Ky., Feb. 29, 1824. He
spent his early youth as a lumberman in St.
Louis, Mo. , and attended the St. Louis university,
where he was gi-aduated, passing through the
entire course in two years of study. He then
devoted himself to the study of law, but gave it
up because of ill health, and engaged in lum-
bering in Wisconsin. With a party of gold-seekers
hs made the journey overland to California in
1849, but left his companions to dig for gold,
while he opened stores at various points to fur-
nish the incoming mining population with
supplies. He was a member of the famous execu-
tive committee of vigilance in February, 1851,
when Mr. Jansen was assaulted, and upon its
revival in 1856, when Editor King was murdered,
Mr. Coleman was its president, directed its trials,
superintended the execution of the murderers,
and so kept the committee in check as to avoid
interference by the United States authorities.
In 1857 he removed to New York city, conducting
the New York branch of William T. Coleman &
Co. of San Francisco, Cal. He was an active
Union man, contributed liberally toward the
prosecution of the war and personally assisted
in suppressing the draft riots in New York city.
After the war closed he offered his sympathy and
material aid to the stricken people of the south.
Returning to California in 18G4 he continued the
management of his business, which was extending
to a large trade with China and Japan. In 1866
he was an unsuccessful candidate for U.S. sena-
tor. In 1877-78 he organized the committee of
safety to assist the police in quelling the labor
riots. His firm failed in 1888 for $2,000,000,
but after a compromise had been effected with
the creditors he continued the business, and
by 1892 he had liquidated the entire indebtedness
with interest. Besides this, he succeeded in
accumulating about $600, 000. A clause in his will



[116J





dlr^'^ f/lc4j



COLES



COLES



reads: " Having with a full hand continuously
and pleasurably aided many public and private
charities, gratuities, reliefs, promotions and
benefactions, I think I have done my full duty in
all of that regard also, and should now devote
the remainder of my holdings exclusively to the
support and uses of my wife and children. " For
Mr. Coleman's part in the vigilance committee
see Annals of San Francisco (1855); Tuthill's
Histonj of California (1866); and Hittell's History
of San Francisco (1878). He died in San Fran-
cisco, Cal., Nov. 23, 1893.

COLES, Abraham, author, physician and
surgeon, was born in Scotch Plains, N.J., Dec.
26, 1813; son of Dennis and Catherine (Van
Deursen) Coles; grandson of James (born 1744)
and Elizabeth (Frazee) Coles, and a descendant
on his mother's side of Everardus Bogardus and
his wife, Anneke Jans. Until the age of twelve he
was educated by his parents, and in 1828 became
a clerk in a New York dry goods store. In 1830
lie taught Latin and Greek at Plainfield, N.J.,
for a few months, and in 1831 began to study law,
which profession he subsequently relinquished
as his vocation in life for the study of medicine.
He attended the University of the City of New
York, and the College of physicians and sur-
geons. New York, and in 1835 received his
M.D. degree from Jefferson medical college,
Philadelphia. In 1836 he began practice at
Newark, N.J., and in 1842 was married to Caro-
line Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Jonathan
Combs and Maria (Smith) Ackerman of New
Brunswick, N.J. He several times visited Europe
for study and travel, giving especial attention to
languages, both ancient and modern. He was
one of the founders of the Newark library and of
the New Jersey historical society, and a member
of the board of education and other organiza-
tions. He owned a valuable collection of books,
paintings and statuary gathered during his life-
time. A colossal bronze bust of Abraham Coles
by J. Q. A. Ward, with its pedestal of stones
quarried for the purpose in Galilee, Bethlehem,
Jerusalem, and on the Mount of Olives, Palestine,
was unveiled in Washington Park, Newark, N.J.,
July 5, 1897. The pedestal is founded on a rock
weighing about seven tons, which was trans-
ported with much diflSculty from a grove near
the landing place of the pilgrim fathers at
Plymouth, Mass. He received from Rutgers
college the degree of A.M. ; from Lewisburg uni-
versity that of Ph. D. in 1860; and from the
College of New Jersey, Princeton, that of LL.D.
in 1871. In 1847 appeared in the Newark Daily
Advertiser his first translation of the " Dies Irse."
This was extensively copied and made him
famous throughout the literary world. In 1859
he published a volume comprising thirteen origi-



nal translations of Dies Iroi (6th edition, 1893),
to which he subsequently added five other
translations. He also published a translation of
Stabat Mater Dolorosa (1865, 3d edition, 1892) ; a
translation of Stahat Mater Speciosa (1867, 2d
edition, 1892) ; Old Gems in Xew Settings (1866, 3d
3dition, 1892); Man, the Microcosm (1866, 5th
edition, 1892); TJie Evangel (1874, 2d edition,
1884) ; TJie Light of the World (1884) ; and A New
Rendering of the Hebrew Psalms Into English Verse
(1887). He was the author of many patriotic
and devotional hymns. See Abraham Coles; Bi-
ographical Sketch, Memorial Tributes, Selections
from his Works, edited by J. Ackerman Coles
(1893). He died at Hotel Del Monte, near Mon-
terey, Cal., May 3, 1891.

COLES, Edward, governor of Illinois, was
born in Albemarle county, Va., Dec. 15, 1786;
son of Col. John and Rebecca (Tucker) Coles.
His father was a Revolutionary officer. He was
educated at Hampden-Sidney college and at Wil-
liam and Mary college, finishing the prescribed
course at the latter in 1807, but not graduating on
account of illness. In 1809 he was appointed pri-
vate secretary to President Madison and he re-
mained in that position imtil 1815, when the
President sent him to Russia to settle a misunder-
standing between the Emperor and the U.S. gov-
ernment, in which undertaking he was successful.
In 1819 he removed with his negroes to Edwards-
viUe, 111. , where he freed them and gave to the
head of each family 160 acres of land. He was
appointed by President Monroe registrar of the
land office at Edwardsville, and in 1822 he was
elected governor of Illinois and served until 1826.
About 1832 he removed to Philadelphia, Pa.
Coles county. 111., was named in his honor. He
was married in 1833 to Sally Logan, daughter of
Hugh and Sarah (Smith) Roberts, and his son
Edward was graduated from the University of
Pennsylvania in 1856 and became a lawyer in
Philadelphia. See Sketch of Edward Coles, Second
Governor of Illinois (1883), by E. B. Washburne.
He died in Philadelphia, Pa., July 7, 1868.

COLES, Jonathan Ackerman, physician and
surgeon, was born in Newark, N.J., May 6, 1843;
only son of Abraham and Caroline (Ackerman)
Coles ; grandson of Dennis Coles and of Jonathan
Combs Ackerman, and a descendant of Dominie
Everardus Bogardus and his wife, Anneke Jans.
He was graduated at Columbia college in 1864,
and from the College of physicians and sur-
geons in New York city in 1868. He began
the practice of his profession in New York city,
spending the years 1877-78 in Europe in the
medical schools and hospitals of London, Paris,
Heidelberg, Berlin and Vienna. He travelled
throughout Europe and the East and on his return
joined his father in the practice of medicine and



tll7]



COLES



COLFAX




sui-gery in Newark and Scotch Plains, N.J. He
edited new editions of his father's works and
contributed to the medical and general press.
He became a member of the New York academy

of medicine and of the
New York county
medical society, and
in 1891 was elected
president of the Union
county, N.J., medical
society. He was made
member of the Amer-
ican medical asso-
ciation, a trustee and
life member of the
New Jersey historical
society, a member of
the Washington asso-
ciation of Morristown,
N.J., and a fellow for
life of the Metropoli-
tan museum of art, New York. Individually and
as executor of his father's estate he gave many
valuable works of art to the city of Newark and
to institutions of learning throughout the United
States. The famous painting, figures life size,
known as "The Good Samaritan," the work of
Daniel Huntington assisted by Paul Delaroclie in
Paris, 1852-53, he gave to the people of New
Jersey, for the main hall of
the state house at Trenton.
His gift of the historic life-
size bronze Indian group, ex-
ecuted by C. B. Ives in Rome,
Italy, in 1886, was, with its
marble pedestal, unveiled in
Lincoln Park, Newark, N.J..
Nov. 28, 1895. In August,
1898, he presented to Admiral
George Dewey an allegorical
bronze, executed by Antoine
Louis Barye (1795-1875), im-
ported and mounted by Tif-
fany & Co., New York.

COLES, Walter, representative, was born in
Pittsylvania county, Va., in 1789; son of John

and (Tucker) Coles. He engaged in farm -

ing and was subsequently justice of the peace for
many years. On March 12, 1812, he was made
2d lieutenant in the 2d light dragoons, and was
promoted captain in the 3d rifles March 17, 1814,
serving on the northern frontier till 1815, He
was a representative in the Virginia legislature,
1833-34, and represented his district as a Demo-
crat in the 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th and 28th con-
gresses, 1835-45; after which he declined a
re-election and retired to his farm. He was
married to Eliza F., daughter of Bowler Cocke




PCWSY

TrsTi>w/viAi...



of Turkey Island, Va. He died at his residence
near Roberson's Store, Va., Nov. 9, 1857.

COLFAX, Schuyler, statesman, was born in
New York city, March 23, 1823 ; son of Schuyler
and Hannah (Stryker) Colfax; grandson of
Gen. William and Hetty (Schuyler) Colfax, and

of Peter and (De La Mater) Stryker ; and a

descendant from William Colfax who came from
England and settled in Wethersfield, Conn.,
before 1643; from Glaude and Hester (Du Bois)
Le Maister, who came from Brittany, were
married in Amsterdam and settled in Haarlem,
New Amsterdam; and from Jacob Gerriste
Strycker, who came to New Amsterdam in 1652
from Holland. His maternal grandfather was a
captain of Washington's life-guards, and his
grandmother a daughter of Gen. Philip Schuyler.
His father, a clerk in the Mechanics' bank in
New York city, died Oct. 20, 1822, before Schuy-
ler was born, and his mother afterward married
George W. Mathews. Schuyler attended the
best private schools and served as a clerk in the
store of *his step-father. In 1836 the family
removed to New Carlisle, Ind., where Schuyler
was appointed by his step-father in 1841 deputy
auditor of St. Joseph county, with his office at
South Bend. He became interested in journalism
and served for two years as reporter of the state
senate for the State Journal, Indianapolis. In
1844, in company with A.W. West, he purchased
the Free Press, published at South Bend, and
changed its name in 1845 to the St. Joseph Valley
Register, making it a Whig organ, and the paper
and its editor acquired a state reputation. In
the Whig national convention of 1848 he was a
delegate and one of the secretaries. In 1850 he
was a member of the state convention to revise
the constitution, and voted against the legal
exclusion of free colored men from Indiana. In
1851 he made his first political canvass, for
representative in the 33d congress against Dr.
Graham N. Fitch, met seventy speaking ap-
pointments, but failed of an election. He was a
delegate-at-large to the Whig national conven-
tion of 1852 ; declined renomination as represen-
tative in 1853, but in 1855 accepted the Repub-
lican nomination. He was a representative
in the 34th and six succeeding congresses, 1855-
69, serving as speaker of the house through-
out the 38th, 39th and 40th congresses, and
gaining renown as an effective party leader and
legislator. As chairman of the committee on
post-offices and post-roads he greatly advanced
the mail facilities and gave to the growing
region beyond the Mississippi its first daily
mail service. In 1861 he championed the cause
of General Fremont when his Missouri cam-
paign was criticised in the house by Gen.
Frank P. Blair. In 1862 he introduced the bill



[118]



COLFAX



COLGATE




afterward adopted and made a part of the statute
law, punishing as felons fraudulent contractors
speculating on the necessities of the government.
He left the speaker's chair on April 8, 1864, in
order to move the expulsion of Representative
Long of Ohio for words spoken in debate, in
which the offending representative had favored
the recognition of the Southern Confederacy.
His resolution did not pass until modified so as

r^^^j^ to make it a reso-

^n^^^SW lution of censure

HS^ M rather than expul-

tmf'^J'1^ ;^3Bro sion. Temperance

..... irflM _,- I«9%1K associations found

in Mr. Colfax an able
advocate, and he ad-
vanced legislation
looking to the carry-
ing out of such re-
I\ W— .' %, Wl3 1^1 ik f^^^s. IntheRepub-
^ -mN^^^^vW V' ' ' vJ li^^^ national con-
1) yJ^. ^^A ' vention of 1868, upon
/ y ^ /\/y // ^1^6 nomination of

Gen. U. S. Grant as
the party candidate
for the presidency,
Mr. Colfax was made the candidate for the vice-
presidency en the first ballot. This transferred
him on March 4, 1869, to the chair of the presid-
ing officer of the senate, in which position he
served throughout the 41st and 42d congresses.
His apparent encouragement of the Liberal Re-
publican movement of 1872 induced the leaders
of that wing of the party to mention his name in
connection with the Presidency, and this fact,
although in no w^ay encouraged or approved by
Mr. Colfax, was sufficient to weaken him before
the regular convention at Philadelphia and he
was defeated in the vice-presidential contest.
The friends of Mr. Greeley, upon his death in
November, offered to Mr. Colfax the editorship
of the New York Tribune, which he declined.
The congressional investigation of the methods
and practices of the credit mobilier of America
and the connection of members of congress with
the enterprise, together with the allotment of
shares of stock to representatives in congress for
the purpose of controlling legislation, resulted in
the report of the house judiciary committee in
1873, that so far as the investigation implicated
Mr. Colfax, the house had no ground to impeach
him, as the offence, if committed, was before his
election to the vice-presidency. He strenuously
denied the charges made before the committee,
and his friends remained ever faithful. The
charge was based on the evidence of a check
payable to " S. C. or bearer," and it proved to
have been paid to another person ; but the impu-
tation, coming from those whom he had supposed



to be his friends, hurt him so keenly that he
retired to South Bend, Ind., and thereafter de-
voted himself to the lecture platform. His more
popular lectures were " Across the Continent,"
and " Abraham Lincoln," the first being his ex-
periences in a journey to San Francisco and
return, made in the summer of 1865; and the
second of peculiar interest to the public on ac-
count of the personal friendship that had existed
between the lecturer and his subject. He was
a regent of the Smithsonian institution. He
also actively engaged in the cause of Odd Fellow-
ship and the Odd Fellows of Indianapolis, Ind. ,
erected to his memory a bronze statue in Univer-
sity park, unveiled May 18, 1887. Col. O. J.
Hollister prepared a " Life of Colfax," published
in 1886. He was married Oct. 10, 1844, to Evelyn
E., daughter of Col. Ralph Clark of Argyle, N.Y.
She died at Newport, R.I., in July, 1863, and he
was married at Andover, Ohio, Nov. 18, 1867,
to Ellen M. , daughter of Theodore L. Wade, and
niece of Benjamin F. Wade, U.S. senator from
Ohio. Schuyler Colfax died in Mankato, Minn.,
Jan. 18, 1885.

COLFELT, Lawrence Maclay, clergyman,
was born in Reedsville, Mifflin county. Pa., Dec.
23, 1849; son of Charles and Nancy (Bates) Col-
felt; grandson of Charles Colfelt of Tubingen,
Germany, and a descendant of the Huguenots
through his grandmother, who was of Frencli
extraction. He was graduated from Washington
and Jefferson college in 1869, and from Princeton
theological seminary in 1873. He was ordained
to the Presbyterian ministry May 9, 1873, and
was pastor at AUentown, Pa., 1872-74; of the
First church, Philadelphia, 1874-84 ; and of the
Oxford church, Philadelphia, 1884-93. In 1893
he sustained Dr. Charles A. Briggs in his alleged
heresies and voluntarily retired from the presby-
tery of Philadelphia. He then resigned his pas-
torate and accepted the chair of ethics in the
Pennsylvania state college, being at the same
time preacher to the college. In April, 1898, he
accepted a call to the pastorate of the Oxford
Presbyterian church, Philadelphia, Pa. Hamp-
den-Sydney gave him the degree of D.D. in 1885.

COLGATE, James Boorman, banker rnd
philanthropist, was born in New York city, March
4, 1818; son of William and Mary (Gilbert) Col-
gate ; and grandson of Robert and Mary (Bowles)
Colgate, who emigrated from the county of
Kent, England, in 1795, to escape persecution as
sympathizers with the American colonists during
the Revolution. Robert Colgate received notifi-
cation of the enmity of the government from
Pitt, a friend of his boyhood. First settling in
Maryland, he removed to New York city and
thence to Delaware county, N.Y. , where he died



[119]



COLGATE



COLGATE



suddenly while preparing to conduct religious
services in a schoolhouse, at the age of sixty-five
years. James Boorman was prepared for college
in schools in New York city and in Connecticut.
When sixteen years old he decided to abandon a
college course and devote himself to a business
life. He began as shipping clerk and rose to the



fOLOATE LIDBARY •
•■■collate: UNivtMiTt—




position of book-keeper in the house of Boorman,
Johnston & Co. , importers. After seven years'
service as clerk he made a trip to Europe for the
benefit of his health and on his return in 1843
engaged in the wholesale dry goods business,
organizing the firm of Colgate & Abbe. In 1852
lie associated himself with John B. Trevor as
Trevor & Colgate, dealers in stock and other
securities. In 1857 they added to the business a
bullion and specie department to which Mr. Col-
gate gave his personal attention. He helped to
organize and was for three years president of the
first gold exchange. In 1873 the firm name was
changed to James B. Colgate & Co. , and the firm
was still in business on Wall street at the close
of the nineteenth century. In this long period



Online LibraryJohn Howard BrownLamb's biographical dictionary of the United States; → online text (page 24 of 142)