John Howard Brown.

Lamb's biographical dictionary of the United States; online

. (page 91 of 142)
Online LibraryJohn Howard BrownLamb's biographical dictionary of the United States; → online text (page 91 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Orleans in 1803, and the same year became inter-
preter of languages for Governor Claiborne. In
June, 1805, he was one of the three delegates to
petition the U.S. government for the admission
of Louisiana as a state of the Federal union, and
when in March of the same year the act was
passed providing for the government of the terri-
tory of Orleans, he, with the other agents,
protested against the act as unjust to the inhabi-
tants of Louisiana. In 1830, with Livingston and
Moreau, he revised the laws of the state. He
represented General Lafayette in New Orleans
under a power of attorney transferred to his son,
Charles Derbigny, in 1829. In 1828 he succeeded
to the gubernatorial chair of the state and offi-
cially welcomed General Jackson to that city Jan.
8, 1829. He died in New Orleans, La., Oct. 6, 1829.

DERBY, Elias Hasket, merchant, was bom
in Salem, Mass., Aug. 16, 1737; son of Capt. Rich-
ard Derby (1712-83) ; and great-grandson of Roger
Derby, who acquired wealth through trading
in all parts of the world and whose business de-
scended to his sons and grandsons. Elias H.
greatly increased this trade and at the outbreak
of the Revolutionary war owned seven large ves-
sels and had accumulated a fortune of $50,000.
He helped to equip the first colonial navy of 138
armed vessels against British commerce on the



high seas and he gradually converted the majority
of his vessels into letters of marque. He estab-
lished shipyards and built for the colonies their
largest ships, fully able to cope with the British
sloop-of-war. He extended his trade to Russia in
1784, to China in 1788, and did a large East Indian
trade from 1788 to 1799, sending thirty-seven
diflEerent vessels on one hundred and twenty-five
voyages and increasing his property five-fold.
His ships were the first to fioat the stars and
stripes in the harbor of Calcutta and were the
first American vessels seen at the Cape of Good
Hope and the Isle of France and to carry cargoes
of cotton from Bombay to China. He subscribed
for $10,000 of the $74,700 of six percent stock
issued at his suggestion to build for the U.S.
service vessels for the new navy organized in
1798, and he built at his yard the frigate Essex,
which upon being commissioned was placed in
command of his nephew, Richard Derby. He
built a palatial residence in Salem and is said to
have acquired the largest fortune accumulated
in America during the eighteenth century and
to have advanced the interests of American ship-
ping and the extension of commerce to a greater
degree than any other man of his time. He died
in Salem, Mass., Sept. 8, 1799.

DERBY, Elias Hasket, merchant, was born
in Salem, Mass., Jan. 10, 1766; son of Elias Has-
ket and Elizabeth (Crowninshield), grandson of
Richard and Mary (Hodges), great-grandson of
Richard and Martha (Hasket), and great^ grand-
son of Roger and Lucretia (Hillman) Derby, who
emigrated from England to Massachusetts. He
was brought up in the shipping business and
when quite young made very profitable voyages,
one to the Isle of France, one to Naples, one to
India, where he resided three years, and one to
Mocha in the Red Sea. He succeeded to the occu-
pation of the home in Salem, Mass. , built by his
father, and after ten years of retirement was forced
by reverses in business and the expenses incident
to maintaining a princely establishment, to
resTxme trade. He imported a shipload of 1100
merino sheep from Lisbon in 1811, secured from a
large flock driven by the French army across
the mountains from Spain, which country pro-
hibited their exportation. In 1812-13 he estab-
lished the first broadcloth loom operated in
Massachusetts, manufacturing cloth from the
merino wool. He was married in 1797 to Lucy
Brown. He was a member of the Massachusetts
historical society. Harvard conferred on him the
honorary degree of A.M. in 1803. He died in
Londonderry, N.H., Sept. 16, 1826.

DERBY, Elias Hasket, lawyer, was born in
Salem, Mass., Sept. 24, 1803; son of Elias Hasket
and Lucy (Brown) Derby. He was graduated
with honors at Harvard in 1824, studied law

[431]



DERBY



DERBY



with Daniel Webster, who was a friend of his
father, and practised as a railroad attorney in
Boston, Mass., where he secured the extension
of important roads terminating in that city. He
was largely instrmnental in the construction and
completion of the Hoosac tunnel and during the
civil war in securing the rapid building of iron-
clad vessels for the U.S. nav}-. He was U.S.
commissioner in 1867 to determine the relations
between the British provinces and the United
States incident to the purchase of Alaska and the
condition of the fisheries question, and he trans-
mitted to Secretary Seward an exhausti\-e report
containing much valuable information. He was
married Sept. 24, 1803, to Eloise Lloyd, daughter
of George W. and Angelina (Lloyd) Strong. He
was a frequent contributor to periodicals and
newspapers under the pen name "Massachu-
setts вЦ†' and published: Two Months Abroad (1844) ;
The Catholic Letters, Addressed by a Jurist to a
Young Kinsman (1856) ; The Overland Boute to the
Pacific (1869) ; and niunerous reports. He died in
Boston, Mass., March 30, 1880.

DERBY, Qeorge, sanitary engineer, was
born in Salem, Mass. , Feb. 13, 1819 ; a nephew of
Elias Hasket Derby (1737-99) . He was graduated
at Harvard in the class of 1838, and in med-
icine in 1843, receiving his A.B. degree in 1866.
He practised medicine in Boston, where he
acquired a wide reputation as a sanitary expert.
He was surgeon of the 23d Massachusetts volun-
teers, 1861-64, during which time he was military
inspector of the departments of Virginia and North
Carolina, and surgeon-in-chief of divisions, and
attained the rank of lieutenant-colonel of volun-
teers by reason of his services as a sanitary engi-
neer and expert. He commanded the soldiers'
hospital, Augusta, Maine, 1864-65, and returned
to Boston in January, 1866, as surgeon of the city
hospital. He immediately established the state
board of health and served as its secretary and
executive head until his death. He was lecturer
at Harvard medical college, 1867-71, and professor
of hygiene, 1871-74. He was a fellow of the
American academy of arts and sciences. He
published eight health registration reports which
were the instruments for the introduction of
new views and needed reforms in sanitary ser-
vice, as was his Anthracite and Health (1868). He
died in Boston, Mass., June 20, 1874.

DERBY, George Horatio, soldier, was born in
Dedham, Mass. , April 3, 1823 ; son of John Barton
Derby ; great-grandson of Elias Hasket Derby
(1739-99), the celebrated Salem shipping mer-
chant, and a direct descendant from Roger Derby,
the immigrant, who settled in Ipswich, Mass., in
1671. He was graduated at the U.S. military
academy in 1846 and was commissioned 2d lieuten-
ant of ordnance. He was transferred the same



[432]



year to the topographical engineer corps and was
employed in the survey of the harbor of New Bed-
ford, Mass. He was ordered to Mexico, where he
served in the siege of Vera Cruz and at the battle
of Cerro Gordo, where he was wounded. For
" gallant and meritorious conduct " in that battle
he was brevetted 1st lieutenant. He was in the
topographical office, Washington, in charge of
various surveys and explorations in the west,
including Minnesota Territory, 1848-49, and Texas
and the Pacific coast, 1849-52. He superintended
the survey of San Diego harbor, 1853-54, had
charge of the military roads, and was a staff offi-
cer to the commanding general of the department
of the Pacific, 1854-56. He was coast surveyor.
1856-59, and gained promotion to the rank of
captain of engineers. While in charge of build-
ing lighthouses on the coasts of Florida and
Alabama, 1859-60, he suffered a sunstroke which
led to softening of the brain and loss of his eye-
sight, and he was removed to New York city. He
w^rote under the pen-name ' ' John Phoenix ' '
numerous sketches and burlesques, collected and
published under the title Phaenixiana (1855) ; and
he is also the author of The Squiboh Papers
(1859). He died in New York city. May 15, 1861.
DERBY, James Cephas, publisher, was born
in Little Falls, N.Y., July 20, 1818; son of Ben-
jamin and Lucetta (Smith) Derby ; grandson of
Benjamin and Constant (Hamilton) Derby,
and a descendant from Roger Derby, the English
immigrant, who settled in Ipswich, Mass., in 1671,
and subsequently be-
came a shipping mer-
chant in Salem, Mass.
James C. was edu-
cated in the grammar
school at Herkimer,
N.Y., and in 1833 was
apprenticed to Henry
Ivison as a book-
binder, soon finding
more congenial em-
ployment as a clerk
in the bookstore. On
reaching his majority
he was aided by Mr.
Ivison in establish-
ing a bookselling
business on his own account. His brothers,
George, Henry W., and Chauncey, subsequently
established with him branch bookstores in
Geneva and Buffalo, N.Y., Cincinnati and Cleve-
land, Ohio, and San Francisco, Cal. He estab-
lished the first subscription book business west
of New York and had as partners at various
times, Nelson Beardsley, Norman C. Miller, Wil-
liam Orton and James Jackson. He removed his
business from Auburn, N.Y., to New York city in




DERBY



DERBY



1853, and the firm of Derby & Jackson failed in
1861 by reason of a large credit extended to south-
ern booksellers who were customers for his
popular books by noted southern authors. He
brought out a remarkable list of successful au-
thors, publishing the first books of Thomas Bailey
Aldrich, Henry Ward Beecher, Phcebe and Alice
Gary, Augusta J. Evans, S. G. Goodrich, " Marion
Harland," B. P. Shillaber (" Mrs. Partington "),
Mrs. F. M. Whitcher (" Widow Bedott "), Henry
Wickoff, and many others. His intimate ac-
quaintance with literary and public men and
women extended to every section of the United
States, and besides the prominent authors of his
time included such public men as Millard Fill-
more, William H. Seward, Alexander H. StephenB,
Jefferson Davis, George Bancroft, Commodore
Vanderbilt, William H. Appleton, Horace Gree-
ley, William CuUen Bryant and George W.
Childs. He was U.S. commissioner for the Paris
exposition of 1868 and received from Napoleon
III. gold and bronze medals "for services." He
was U. S. dispatch agent for the state department
at New York in 1864-65, and transmitted by
steamer to Charles Francis Adams, U.S. minister
to Great Britain, the official dispatches giving
to the old w orld the intelligence of the assassi-
nation of President Lincoln. He was an associ-
ate National academician and one of the early
members of the Century association. He was
married in 1839 to Lavanchie White, daughter of
Isaac and Belinda Fitch of Cooperstown, N. Y. , who
died Oct. 13, 1880. He wrote : Fifty Years Among
Authors, Books and Publishers (1884). He died
in Brooklyn, N.Y., at the home of his daughter,
Mrs. John Howard Brown, Sept. 22, 1892.

DERBY, Orville Adelbert, geologist, was born
in Kelloggsville, N.Y., July 23, 1851. He was
graduated from Cornell university, B.S. in 1873
and M.S. in 1874. He was instructor in geology
and paleontology in Cornell, 1873-75 ; and assist-
ant on the geological commission of the empire
of Brazil, 1875-78. In 1879 he became director
of the third section of the National museum at
Rio de Janeiro, and in 1886 assumed also the direc-
torship of the geographical and geological com-
mission of the province of Sao Paulo. He was
made a fellow of the London geological society
and of the American association for the advance-
ment of science, and is the author of contributions
to the American Journal of Science, the Proceedings
of the American Philosophical Society, and the
Quarterly Journal of the Geological Society.

DERBY, Richard, merchant, was born in
Salem, Mass., Sept. 12, 1712; son of Richard Derby,
.shipping merchant, and grandson of Roger
Derby, the first ancestor in America. Richard
Derby Jr. in 1738 was master of his father's sloop
Banger, trading with Cadiz and Malaga, and in



1742 had acquired part ownership in and was
captain of the Volant, in which vessel he traded
with Barbadoes and the French islands. In 1757
he settled as a merchant in Salem. His ships
suffered from English privateers and French
cruisers and he sought redress from the British
ministry. He was a member of the general
court of Massachusetts, 1769-73, and a member
of the governor's council in 1774, and again in
1776-77. His widow founded Derby academy,
Hingham, and his son Richard was a delegate to
the Provincial congress of Massachusetts and an
earnest patriot. His son John, owner of the
Columbia, which on her second voyage in the
Pacific discovered the Columbia river, carried to
England the first news of the battle of Lexington
and first brought to General Washington at
Cambridge the intelligence of the effect of the
news on the public mind of London. At the
close of the war he was also the first to bring to
America the news of peace. Capt. Richard Derby
died in Salem, Mass. , Nov. 9, 1783.

DERBY, Samuel Carroll, educator, was born
at Dublin, N.H., March 3, 1842; son of Dexter and
Julia (Piper) Derby; grandson of Samuel and
Betsey (Knowlton) Derby, and of John Brooks
and Julia (Greenwood) Piper, and a descendant
of John Derby, Marblehead, Mass., 1677, and of
Nathaniel Piper of
Ipswich, Mass. , who
died in 1676. His
ancestors were Eng-
lish and among the
early settlers of New
England. His early
years were spent upon
a farm. He was pre-
pared for college at
Appleton academy.
New Ipswich, N.H.,
and was graduated
from Harvard in 1866.
He was principal of
the Union school at
Ilion, N.Y., 1866-67,
and instructor in Mr.
E. S. Dixwell's Latin

school, Boston, 1867-70. In 1870 he was ap-
pointed professor of English and German in
Antioch college. Yellow Springs, Ohio, after-
ward changing his chair to that of Latin. He
became acting president of the college in 1873, and
president in 1877, a position which he resigned
in 1881 to accept the chair of Greek and Latin in
the Ohio state university at Columbus. In 1883
the chair was divided and he was made professor
of the Latin language and literature. From 1881
to 1892 he was librarian of the university. The
years 1876-77 and 1892-93 were spent by him in

[433]




DE ROSSET



DE RUSSY



post-graduate study at Harvard; and several
months of 1880-81 were similarly employed at
Johns Hopkins university in the study of Latin
and history. In 1896 he was made dean of the Col-
lege of arts, philosophy and science, Ohio state
university. He was elected a member of the Amer-
ican historical association in 1884 and of the Amer-
ican philological association, 1895. Harvard con-
ferred upon him the degi-ee of A.M. in 1877.

DE ROSSET, Moses John, physician, was born
in Pittsboro, N.C., July 4, 1838 ; son of Dr. Armand
John (1807-1897) and Eliza (Lord) De Rosset;
grandson of Dr. Armand John (1767-1859) and
Catherine (FuUerton) De Rosset ; great-grandson
of Dr. Moses John (1736-1767) and Mary (Ivie) De
Rosset; and great ^ grandson of Armand John
De Rosset (1695-1766), M.D. of the University of
Basle, Switzerland, who was the original Hugue-
not immigrant and the founder of the family in
Carolina, his wife being the Noble Lady of Eusatia
in France. Moses John De Rosset was educated in
Europe and in the medical department of the
University of the city of New York, and upon
taking his degree in 1859 was appointed resident
physician at the BeUevue hospital, N.Y. In 1861
he became assistant surgeon in the Confederate
army and later was promoted surgeon, serving
throughout the civil war and surrendering at Ap-
pomattox. In 1865 he began practice at Baltimore,
Md., at the same time acting as adjunct professor
of chemistry in the University of Maryland, and
occupying the chair of chemistry in the Balti-
more dental college. In 1873 he removed to Wil-
mington, N. C. , and became an oculist and aurist.
He later went to New York and rose to prominence
in these specialties. He is the author of contribu-
tions to medical journals and of a translation
of Bouchardat's Annual Abstract of TJierapeutics,
Materia Medica, Pharmacy and Toxicology for 1867.
He died in Wilmington, N.C., May 1, 1881.

DE RUSSY, Gustavus Adolphus, soldier, was
born in Brooklyn, N.Y., Nov. 3, 1818; son of Capt.
Rene Edward de Russy, U.S.A. He was a cadet
at the U.S. military academy, 1835-38, and in
March, 1847, was appointed from Virginia 2d lieu-
tenant, 4th U.S. artillery, and served through-
out the Mexican war. He was brevetted 1st
lieutenant Aug. 20, 1847, for services at Contre-
ras and Churubusco, and captain Sept. 13, 1847,
for gallantry at Chapultepec. He was quarter-
master of the 4th U.S. artillery, 1849-57. His
promotions in the regular army were as follows :
1st lieutenant. May 16, 1849; captain, Aug. 17,
1857; major 3d U.S. artillery, July 26, 1866;
lieutenant-colonel, Aug. 25, 1879, and colonel of
4th U.S. artillery, June 30, 1882. He entered the
volunteer army as colonel of the 4th N.Y. artil-
lery, March 17, 1863, was promoted brigadier-
general, May 39, 1863, and was mustered out of



the service, Jan, 15, 1866. For gallantry at Fair
Oaks he was brevetted major; at Malvern Hill
he gained the brevet of lieutenant-colonel, and at
the close of the war he was brevetted colonel and
brigadier-general, March 13, 1865. He was super-
intendent of practical instruction and tactical
recitations in the U.S. artillery school, 1871-74.
On Nov. 3, 1883, he was retired by operation of
the law. He died in Detroit, Mich., May 39, 1891.

DE RUSSY, Louis Q., soldier, was born in
New York city in 1796; son of Thomas de Russy
of St. Malo, France, who immigrated to America
and took up his residence first in Hayti, W.I.,
then in New York city in 1791 and subsequently
at Old Point Comfort, Va. Louis was graduated
at the U.S. military academy in 1814 and served
in the war of 1813-15 as assistant engineer in con-
structing defences for New York city and on gar-
rison duty in New York harbor, 1815-16. He was
then made battalion-adjutant of artillery and in
1819 was topographer in determining the boundary
between the United States and Canada under the
treaty of Ghent. He was promoted captain in the
3d artillery in 1885 and paymaster with rank of
major in 1836. In 1848 he was dropped from the
army roll and established himself as a planter in
Louisiana. Upon the outbreak of hostilities with
Mexico he joined the 1st Louisiana volunteers. At
Tampico he became colonel of the regiment and
completed the defences of the place, and after
various other service he was mustered out after
the capture of the Mexican capital. He engaged
as civil engineer in New Orleans, principally in
deepening the channel of the Mississippi and in
building levees. He represented his district in the
Louisiana legislature, 1851-53, and was a state
senator, 1853-55. He was major-general of the
Louisiana militia, 1848-61, and upon the secession
of the state he joined the Confederate army and
was employed as an engineer. Fort De Russy on
the Red river was named for him. He died at
Grand Ecore, La., Dec. 17, 1864.

DE RUSSY, Rene Edvv'ard, soldier, was born
in Hayti, W.I., Feb. 33, 1790; son of Thomas de
Russy of St. Malo, France. He was graduated
at the U.S. military academy, West Point, in
1818 and served in the war of 1818-15 as assistant
engineer at New York city and at Sacket Harbor,
N.Y. He actively engaged in the campaign of the
lakes and in 1814 was brevetted captain for meri-
torious conduct at Plattsburg. He was General
McComb's chief engineer in 1814 and was promoted
captain of engineers in 1815, when he assisted in
the construction of the fort at Rouse's Point, N.Y.
He was brevetted major in 1824, was superinten-
dent of the U.S. military academy, 1833-88, and
served in the engineer corps with the rank of lieu-
tenant-colonel, 1838-63. In 1861 he constructed the
defences of San Francisco, Cal., and continued as



[434]



DE SAUSSURE



DESHON



president of the board of engineers charged with
the land defences of the city throughout the war.
In 1865 he was bre vetted major-general in the U.S.
army for " long and faithful services." He died
in San Francisco, Cal., Nov. 23, 1865.

DE SAUSSURE, Henry William, jurist, was
born in Pocotaligo, S.C, Aug. 16, 1763; son of
Daniel De Saussure, a Revolutionary patriot and
president of the state senate, 1790-91 ; and grand-
son of Henry De Saussure, of an ancient family of
Lorraine, France, who immigrated to America in
1730 and settled in South Carolina. Henry Wil-
liam, although but seventeen years of age, volun-
teered in the siege of Charleston, was captured,
confined in the British prison-ship for two months
and sent to Philadelphia to be exchanged. He
remained in that city, studied law under Jared
Ingersoll and gained admission to the Philadelphia
bar in 1784 .and to that of Charleston in 1785. He
was a delegate to the South Carolina state constitu-
tional convention in October, 1789, and a member
of the legislature in 1791. President Washington
appointed him director of the U.S. mint in 1794,
and he produced the first gold coin issued by the
United States government. He resigned the office
in 1795, returned to the practice of law, and in 1808
was elected chancellor of the state of South Caro-
lina. In the twenty years following 1809 he deliv-
ered 1314 of the 2888 decrees of the circuit court of
equity and the state court of appeals. He resigned
in 1838. He published Reports of the Court of
Chancery and Courts of Equity in South Carolina
from the Revolution till 1813 (4 vols., 1817-19).
He died in Charleston, S.C, March 29, 1839.

DE SAUSSURE, William Ford, senator, was
born in Charleston, S.C, in 1792; son of Henry
WiUiam De Saussure, chancellor of South Caro-
lina. He was graduated from Harvard in 1810,
and later practised law in Charleston, S.C. He
was a representative in the state legislature for
many years and was appointed by Governor Man-
ning U.S. senator to succeed R. Barnwell Rhett,
resigned, who had succeeded Robert W. Barn-
well, resigned, who had succeeded Franklin
Harper Elmore, deceased, who had succeeded
John C Calhoun, deceased, elected for the term
1847-53. On the assembling of the state legisla-
ture in November, 1852, Mr. De Saussure was
elected for the remainder of Mr. CaUioun's term
which expired March 4, 1853. He died in Charles-
ton, S.C, in 1870.

DE SAUSSURE, Wilmot Gibbes, lawyer, was
born in Charleston, S.C, June 23, 1822; son of
WilliamFord De Saussure, U.S. senator, and grand-
son of Henry William De Saussure, chancellor of
South Carolina. He was graduated at the South
Carolina college in 1840 and practised law in
Charleston, S.C, after 1843. He was a represent-
ative in the state legislature, 1850-60, and com-



manded the state troops that occupied Fort
Moultrie in December, 1860, upon General Ander-
son evacuating the fort and withdrawing to Fort
Sumter. He was made lieutenant -colonel of the
state militia and commanded the artillery on
Morris Island during the bombardment of Fort
Sumter in April, 1861. He was elected treasurer
of the state and also served as adjutant and in
spector-general during the civil war. He was
president of the South Carolina branch, society of
the Cincinnati ; of St. Andrew's society ; of the
Charleston library society ; of the St. Cecelia so-
ciety, and of the Huguenot society of South Caro-
lina. He died in Charleston, S.C, Feb. 1, 1886.

DE SCHWEINITZ, Edmund, Moravian bishop,
was born at Bethlehem, Pa., March 20, 1825;
great^ grandson of Count Zinzendorf . This family
for more than one hundred years furnished min-
isters in an unbroken line to the American branch
of the Moravian church. He was graduated at
the Moravian theological seminary at Bethlehem
in 1844 and in 1855 studied in Berlin, Germany.
He was pastor at Canal Dover, Ohio, in 1850;
Lebanon, Pa., 1851-53; Philadelphia, Pa., 1853-
60; Letitz, Pa., 1860-64, and Bethlehem, Pa.,
1864-80. He was consecrated bishop in 1870.
He published: The Moravian Manual (1859, 2d
ed. 1869); The Moravian Episcopate {1%Q5, 2d ed.
1874) ; The Life and Times of David Zeisberger
(1870) ; Some of the Fathers of the Moravian
Church (1881); and The Unitas Fratrum (1885).
He died in Bethlehem, Pa., Dec. 18, 1887.

DESHA, Joseph, governor of Kentucky, was
born in Pennsylvania, Dec. 9, 1768. He was a
brother of Robert Desha. He immigrated to Ken-
tucky in 1781, and served under Gen. Anthony
Wayne in his expedition of 1794 against the Indi-



Online LibraryJohn Howard BrownLamb's biographical dictionary of the United States; → online text (page 91 of 142)