John J. Hight.

History of the Fifty-eighth regiment of Indiana volunteer infantry. Its organization, campaigns and battles from 1861 to 1865 online

. (page 47 of 47)
Online LibraryJohn J. HightHistory of the Fifty-eighth regiment of Indiana volunteer infantry. Its organization, campaigns and battles from 1861 to 1865 → online text (page 47 of 47)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


aroused. With the great mass of the loval, union loving people of the
country, he realized that the time for argument and discussion was at an end.
President Lincoln's call for volunteers found a ready response and a hearty
endorsement among the people, but only a small proportion of those who
ottered their services could be accepted. In the first months of the war the
two \ounger brothers of Mr. Embree enlisted, but it was not until October,
iSfn. tiiat he fount! opportunity to enter the service himself. When the sStii
Indiana Regiment was being organized he was tendered the position of
Major, which he accepted and went with the Regiment to the field.

In a few months after entering the service he was promoted to the rank
of Lieutenant-Colonel, and during the greater part of the time was in com-
mand of the Regiment, the Colonel being in command of the Brigade. On
account of the death of his fatlier and a^so his wife, he was compelled to
resign in the latter part of 1863, and return to urgent business cares at iiome.
He became greatly attached to the men of the Regiment and was held in
high esteem by them, and there was mutual regret at the parting. He was a
kind hearted officer and entered into the s\-mpathies of those untier his com-
mand — an ofiicial characteristic somewhat out of the ordinary.

After his return home he resumed the practice of law and began to gather
up his business that had been interrupted by the war. But tlie seeds of a
deadly disease had been implanted in his s\-stem during his army service and
he did not live long to enjoy the blessings of a jieacefid and imited coimtry.
He died August 3, 1S67, honored and esteemed bv all. especiallv by his com-
rades. He iiad been instrumental in organizing the first post. Grand Army
ot" the Reiiuhlic. in I'rini-etoii, and it was liis fortune to be the first comrade
to he buried inider tlie auspices and w illi the iionors of the (jrand Army.



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 573

Colonel H. M. Carr.



Colonel H. M. Carr, who first commanded the 5Sth Indiana Regiment
in the field, was born in Montgomery coimty, Indiana, where he spent the
earlier years of his life. When tlie war broke out hfe enlisted under the first
call for volunteers, serving three months in the iith Indiana Regiment as
Captain of Company G. At the expiration of his term he re-entered the
service for a term of three years in the same Regiment. November 14,
1861, he was promoted to the Colonelcy of the 5Sth Indiana, and at once
entered upon his duties with that Regiment. He remained with the Regi-
ment until June 17, 1862, when he resigned and returned to his home at
Crawfordsville. But he did not remain long out of the service. A call
for additional volunteers in 1S62 gave him the opportunit\- to engage in the
recruiting ser\ice. lie assisted in recruiting the 72d Indiana Regiment,
which was raised in the counties comprising the Eighth District, and was
organized at Lafayette. It was mustered into service August 16, 1862, and
Carr was commissioned Captain of Company B. In a tew months he was
promoted Major and continued as such until June 28, 1864, when he resigned
on account of disability. Soon after the war he located in Louisville, where
he engaged in the claim and pension business. He died in 1SS4, aged 54
years, of heart trouble, 'and his body rests in the beautiful Cave Hill ceme-
tery, at Louisville. His widow and two daughters are still living; two sons
preceded him to the grave.

Colonel Carr was a man of fine militarv appearance, and had a strong,
commanding voice, tie was in ever\' way well adapted for handling a body
of troops in the field. He was a genuine patriot and gave his best ser\ ice to
his country at a time when such service was most needed.

In civil life he is spoken of by one who knew him best as "a splendid,
noble, generous, upright man, affectionate, and true as steel, yet as modest
and sensitive as a woman." He was most highly esteemed by those who
knew him and his death was universally regretted.



57i NATIONAL MILITARY PARK.



Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Park.



TSfoTE. — The material facts in this article are obtained, partly, from
articles written by General H. V. Bojnton, a member of the National Com-
mission, and partly from information obtained by the writer on a recent
personal visit to the battleground. One of General Boynton's very excellent
descriptive articles was published in Harper s Weekly, June 22, 1S95, and
another in the "Official Souvenir Program" of the^ recent International
Epworth League Convention, in Chattanooga.

In 1889 a movement was begun that resulted in the
establishment of a National Park, embracing the battle
grounds of Chickamauga and Chattanooga. The origina-
tors of the scheme were from both of the armies who had
fought upon these grounds, and the underlying idea was,
that nowhere was there a better exemplification of American
braver}' and courage than upon the battlefields of Chicka-
mauga and Chattanooga. It was the opinion that the battles
here fought, ranked among the most notable, in many
respects, of the greatest war of modern times. It was here
that there was displayed the greatest strategy in militar}'
movements, and it was thought, by the originators of this
enterprise, that here was the place and the opportunity for
an impartial examination of a battlefield l\y both sides,
purely as a military study, to the end that the important
details of this historic event might be accurately preserved
as an illustration of the achievements of American citizen
soldiery.

This project was put into formal shape and made effective
by an act of Congress, approved August 19, 1890, and
under direction of the Secretary of War a commission,
composed of representatives of both armies, was appointed
to carry out the provisions of the act. For the prosecution
of the work Congress made an appropriation of $725,000,
It required two years more to secure title to the lands, but
the commission' has finally succeeded in completing the



NATIONAL MILITARY PARK. 575

purchase ot" the entire battlefield of Chickamauga, and has
options on other lands adjacent, which will eventually be
included in the Park. The main body of the Park is
traversed by the Lafayette and Chattanooga road, which
passes through Rossville Gap at Missionary Ridge. The
main roads have all been rebuilt in the most substantial
manner, and all the old roads of the battlefield have been
restored and improved. There are now on the battlefield
about twenty-five miles of the finest roads to be found any-
where. In the plan of improving and restoring the field all
the old roads, that were in existence at the time of the battle,
have been reopened and improved and any new roads that
have been opened since the battle have been closed. The
underbrush and new growth of trees have been cut out, so
that it is easy to trace the lines of battle, and one may drive
through the woods over any part of the ground. Such
buildings as were landmarks of the battle, and have since
fallen into decay, have been rebuilt or repaired, or the site
of such buildings designated by a tablet. The methods of
marking the lines of battle are by monuments, tablets, and
actual batteries of artiller}'.

There are steel and iron observation towers so placed at
prominent points as to enable visitors to ascend above the
tree tops and observe all portions of the field. Two of these
are on Missionary Ridge and three on Chickamauga battle-
field.

In addition to the tablets and other markers erected by the
National Government, each State has taken measures
to erect monuments to mark the position of all
its Regiments and Battalions that were engaged in
the battle. Some of these monuments have alread}^ been
erected, and most of them will be completed by the time for
the dedication of the Park, September 19 and 20, 189^.

Historical tablets, constructed of iron, each 3x4 feet, have
been erected at different points on the battlefield. These
give a condensed history of the movements of each organi-
zation and the part taken in the battle upon that part of the
field. There are also staff tablets bearing the names of every
general officer's staff. The tablets are numbered, consecu-
tively, on tiie upper left-hand corner, and on the upper right
hand corner appears the letter "U," or "C," indicating the
army to which the participants belonged. There is no dis-
tinction in the treatment of the Union and Confederate
armies, except in this particular.



576



NATIONAL MILITARY PAKK.



The following is a copy of the tablets for General T. J.
Wood's Division, located in the position held by that com-
mand on the Brotherton farm, Sunday morning, September
20th :



NO. 67. U.

WOOD'S DIVISIONCRITTENDEN'S CORPS.

During tlie night of the 19th Buell's and Marker's Brigades (Wagner's
Brigade on garrison duty at Chattanooga) withdrew from near Viniard's
to the slope of Missionary Ridge west of Dyer House and beyond the Craw-
fish Springs road. Early in the morning Wood was directed to relieve
Negley on this ground. This was not accomplished until after 9:30 a. m.,
when the last of Negley 's Division passed to the left and Wood's line, with
Barnes' Brigade, of Van C'eve's Division, which had come forward with
Wood, was closed to the left on Brannan's Division. Upon the supposi-
tion that Brannan had responded to an order sent him to move to the sup-
port of the left. Wood was ordered, at 10:4.5 a. m., by General Rosecrans,
to close ranidly on Reynolds and support him. Brannan being under
attack at the moment of receiving the order held his line. Wood obeying
literally, drew out of line and moved to the rear of Brannan, towards
Reynolds. Barnes' Brigade at the beginning of the movement was dis-
patched to Baird's support on the extreme left. Just as Barker's Brigade,
moving next in rear of Barnes, had gained the rear of Brannan, Longstreet
moved with a column of three Divisions of eight Brigades upon Wood's late
front at the Brotherton house, penetrating the line, and dispersing Buell's
Brigade, which was following Harker, and taking Brannan in reverse.
Barker's Brigade promptly moved back into the Dyer field and attacked
the head of the enemy's column with great vigor, which gave Brannan a
chance to rally his command on Snodgrass Hill, where Harker soon joined
him and held the left of the line on that part of the field until night. Frag-
ments of Buell's Brigade rallied on Snodgrass Hill, where General Wood in
person established his headquarters and co-operated with General Brfmnan
in the defence of that position. The loss of the Division (two Brigades) for
the two days, was, killed 132, wounded 744, missing 194, total 1,070.



NO. 67 A.

WOOD'S DIVISION.

Brigadier-General T. J. Wood.

Sept. 19-20, 1863.

STAFF ON FIELD.

CAPT. MARCUS P. BESTOW, U. S. V., Assistant Adjutant General.

LIEUT. JOHN L. YARYAN, 58th Indiana, Aid-de-Camp.

LIEUT. GEORGE SHAFFER, 93d Ohio, Aid-de-camp.

LIEUT. -COL. THOS. R. PALMER, 13th Michigan, Inspector.

SURGEON W. W. BLAIR, 58th Indiana, Medical Director.

CAPT. L. D. MYERS, U. S. V., Assistant Quartermaster-General.

CAPT. J. MCDONALD. U. S. V., Com. of Subsistence.

CAPT. WM. McLOUGHLIN, 13th Michigan, Topographical Engineer.

CAPT. JOHN E. GEORGE, 15th Indiana, Assistant Com. of Musters.

LIEtJT. PETER HOLDMAN, 3d Kentucky, Ordnance Officer.

CAPT. MICHAEL KEISER, 64th Ohio, Provost Marshal.

CAPT. LUDLOW BRADLEY, 6th Ohio Battery, Chief of Artillery.

PRIVATE ROBERT LEMON, 68th Indiana, Orderly.



NATIONAL MILITARY PARK. 577

Other tablets for Wooers Division are located on the
Lafayette road, opposite the Viniard house, where the hard
fighting was done on Saturday evening.

Indiana has appropriated $40,000 for the erection of mon-
uments to the several organizations from this State that par-
ticipated in the battle of Chickamauga. The position
selected for the 58th Indiana Regiment is a few yards east
of the Lafavette and Chattanooga road, opposite the Viniard
house. This is where the Regiment did its hardest fighting
on Saturdav evening, September 19th, and it was here that
it suffered the heaviest loss of the two days' battle.

The 58tli Indiana monument is constructed of
Bedford limestone. It is 8^x4 feet at the base,
and will stand 15 feet high. On the second base,
which is 5 feet 10 inches by 4 feet 2 inches, there
•appears the inscription " 58th Regiment Indiana
Infantry." On top of this is a third base, 5 feet 3 inches by
4 feet, one foot thick. This supports a die 4 feet 6 inches
by 2 feet 10 inches and 6 feet high. On top of this is a cap,
and the whole is surmounted by an eagle, 2^x;^ feet. In
front, on the upper part of the die, is the State seal of Indi-
ana, in bronze. On the opposite side of the die is a bronze
tablet which contains a brief history of the Regiment in the
battle, as follows :



FIFTY-EIGHTH REGIMENT INDIANA INFANTRY.



This Regiment, in command of Lieutenant-Colonel
Embree, went into action at this point about 2:45 p. m., Sep-
tember 19th, charging the enemy across the road; left of
Regiment penetrating a woods, where a severe engagement
ensued. Loss heavy in killed and wounded. On morning of
20th moved to new position at Brotherton farm. When lines
were broken, by movement of Brigade to the left, the Regi-
ment was severed, but rallied again on Snodgrass Hill, and
assisted in holding that point during the remainder of the
day. On night of 21st the Regiment formed part of skirmish
line, in command of Major Moore, which covered the move-
ment of Rosecrans' army to Chattanooga. Loss in two days'
battle: Killed, 16; wounded and missing, 155; total, 171.



Stone markers, about 4 feet high and properly inscribed,
are placed at the position occupied by the Regiment at the
Brotherton iarm on the morning of the 20th, and on Snod-
grass Hill, in the afternoon of that day.



I




lA^/S^J



W^^^^





mj^WW




LIBRARY OF CONGRESS



013 704 162 5






Online LibraryJohn J. HightHistory of the Fifty-eighth regiment of Indiana volunteer infantry. Its organization, campaigns and battles from 1861 to 1865 → online text (page 47 of 47)