John Marshall Richard Brookes.

A new universal gazetteer, containing a descripton of the principal nations ... online

. (page 145 of 216)
Online LibraryJohn Marshall Richard BrookesA new universal gazetteer, containing a descripton of the principal nations ... → online text (page 145 of 216)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Jficholasy St., Mole, a town, harbour, and cape,
at the N. W. extremity of St. Domingo, com-
manding the strait called the Windward Pas?age.
The harbour is strongly fortified bv nature and
art ; and ships of any burden may ride at anchor in
the basin, even during a hurricane. It was ta-
ken by the English aided by the French royalists,
in 1793, but evacuated in 1798. Long. 73. 30.
W., lat. 19.49. N.

J^hotas MantI, a small island on the N. coast of
the island of Cuba. Long. 79. 40. W., lat. .33. .W. N.

J^itobar Islands,^ group of 19 islands on the E.
side of the bay of Bengal. They are almost en-
tirely uncultivated ; but the cocoa-nut, the mel-
lori or lerum (a kind of bread-fruit), and other
tropical fruits grow spontaneous! v ; there are also
yams and sweet potatoes, and the edible birds'
nests BO much esteemed in China. Doers and
hogs are the principal animals. The inhabitants
me tall and well proportioned^ with block eyes,



blsttk Unk hftir, sswi dark eopper-ceioured akina

They live in little huts, having no towns, andro
quite naked, except a cloth about the waist wuh
a small string hanging down behind. These is-
lands extend northward, from the N. point of
Sumtttrft. The largest, which gives name to the
rest, is 25 m. long and 10 broad. Its extremity
is in long. 94. 3. E., lat. 6. 30. N.

Mcojack Cave, in Georgia, is situated in an em-
inence called Racoon Mountain. Its mouth is
50 feet high and 160 feet wide. It is many miles
in depth and the floor is covered with a stream of
water throughout its whole length. Three miles
within is a cataract, beyond which visitors have
not penetrated. The rock is limestone.

/{itoiuaef, a oit^ of Russia, in the government
of Cathaxinenslaf^ founded by Catherine II., on
the S. side of the Ingul,at its conflux with the Bog.
The public buildings and a number of private
houses are constructed of a white calcareous stone,
but the rest of the houses are of wood. This
place, being of easier access by water for vessels
than Cherson, is now the capital of the naval es-
tablishment of the Black Sea. The admiralty,
witli a long line of magazines, workshops, wet and
dry docks, and every necessary department for
shipping are placed along the bank of the Ingul.
It is 30 m. N. N. E. of Oczakow and 45 N. W.of
Cherson. Long. 30. 46. E., lat. 46. 58. N.

J^icolo, St., the most considerable of the isles
of Tremeti, in the gulf of Venice. It has a har-
bour, defended by a fortress, in which is an abbey
with a church. Long. 15. 37. E., lat. 42. 10. N.
J^ficofshurg, a town of Moravia, with a captle on
a mountain , 12 m. E. N. E. of Laab,

J^ieopoli, a town of Bulgaria, famous for the first
battle tbught between the Turks and the Christ-
ians in 1^6, when the emperor Sigismund was de-
feated, and had 20,000 men killed. It is seated
on the Danube, at the influx of the Osma, 60 m.
S. S. W. of Bucharest and 150 N. N. W. of Adri-
anople. Long. 25. 43. E., lat. 44. 16. N.

Kicopali, or Glanish, a town of Turkish Arme
nia, built by Pompey in memory of a victory
gained over Mithridates. It is 15 m. S. of Enrrriim.
Nicosia, the capital of Cyprus seated near Uie
mountain Olympus. From the time of Con-
stantine the Great till 1567, it was 9 m. in cir-
cumference ; but the Venetians, finding it too ex-
tensive, reduced it to 3, and fortified it with II
bastions and 3 gates ; all the rest they razed to
the foundation, demolishing temples, palaces,
and the most beautiful monuments. In 1570 it
it was besieged 45 days by the Turks, and then
taken bv a general assault. The church of St.
Sophia 'is a fine old Gothic structure. The ba-
zaar is extensive, well supplied with provisions,
and remarkably clean. Lon^. 33. 26. E.,- lat. 35,
14. N.

Nicosia, a town of Sicily, in Val di Demona,
12 m. S. ofOfalu.

Mrotera, a town of Naples, in Calabria Ultra,
nenr the coast of the Mediterranean, 35 m. N. N. K.
of Recrtrio and 135 S. E. of Naples. Long. 16
30. E.. lat. 38. 34. N.

yi'-oya, a town of Guatemala, in Costa Rica,
situate on a small river, which runs into the bay
of SaVmaa, where there is a penrl fishery. It is
98 m. W. N. W. of Cartago. Long. 85. 49. W.,
lat. 10.40. N.

Jficsara. a town of Turkev, in Cararnania, and

an archbishop's see, 10 m. N. of Tocat. Long;

36.9. E., lat. 39. 25. N. v

JVufatt, atown of Switzerland, jn the eastoif



Digitized by



Google



mo



648



KtL



ef Bern, with a cmUo ; ntiMto oo the Uikit of
Bi«l, 15 m. N. W. of Bern.

Mdda, a town of Germuiy, in HcMe Darm-
stadt, seated en a river of the eame name, 20 m.
N. E. of Frankfort

JVZeMa, a town of Spain, in SoTille. near which
is a considerable copper mine ; seated on the Tin-
to, 11 m. N. N. W. of Mogner and 40 W. of Se-
ville.

JfUmeek, a town of Brandenbni];, on the river
Ada. 16 m. N. of Wurtembers.

JVtrmeez, a strong town of Moldavia, situate on
a mountain, on a nver of the same name, 76 m.
W. S. W. of Jassay. Long. 26. 10. E.,Ut 46. 56.
N.

MUmen, a river which rises in Lithuania, and
pmsses by Bielica and Grodno ; it then runs
throuirh part of Samogitia and E. Prussia, and en-
ters the Cnrisch Haff Dy several months, of which
the principal and most northern is called the Ruas.

Jfienburg, a strong town of Hanover, capital of
the county of Hoya, with a considerable trade in
corn and wool ; seated on the Weser, 37 m. S. S.
K. of Bremen. Long. 9. 25. £., lat. 52. 39. N.

Jfienlmrgf a town of Prussia, in the govemment
of Munster, seated on the Pinkel, 33 m. N. W. of
Munster.

XUntmrsr^ a town of Germany, in the duchy of
Ani.a.It-Kothen, seated in the Saaie, 8 m. N . W.
of Kothen.

HUnkauSy a town of Hanover, in the district of

Paderbom, with a castle, formerly the residence
of the prince : seated on the Lippe, 2 m. N. N.
E. oT Paderbom.

Ifitptr. See Dnieper.

Mester, See Dniesier.

JVieupoTtf a sea-port of the Netherlands, in W.
Flanders, at the mouth of the Tperlee. Here are
•hiices, by which the country can be laid under
water. The inhabitants principally subsist by the
herring fishery, and by making nets and ropes.
9. m. S. Wt of Qstend. Long. 2. 45. £., lat. 51.

a N.

Jfteup&rt, a town of the Netherlands, in S. Hol-
land, seated on the river Lech, 15 m. E. of Rot^
terdam.

Kievre, a department of France, including^the
greater part of the province of Nivernois. Its takes
Its name from a small river, which rises near
Cbamplemy, and runs into the Loire, at Nevers,
the chief town of the department.

MgcTf a celebrated river of Africa, rising near
Mount Lamba in the countrvof the Soulimas, on
the northern declivities of the Kong Mountains.
No geographical problem ever presented a more
fruitful subject for conjecture, doubt, hypothesis,
and researcn, both critical and experimental, than
the course and termination of this mysterious
river. Until the travels of Mungo Park in 1796
it was even disputed whether it flowed East or
West. This traveller although he established the
fact of its easterly direction, and proceeded some
distance alonff its banks, yet was unable to make
any further discovery respecting ite termination.
Attempts made by other travellers were followed
by no better success, and Park in his second jour-
ney into the country lost his life. Many authors
were of opinion that the river flowed into a great
central lake, and had no communication with the
sea ; others sought for arguments to show that ite
waters wer^ swallowed op by the sands of the de-
sert ; at one time the belief was very prevalent
that It flowed a great distance south and ran into
tbt oeaan by the river Zaire or Congo ; the Brit-



ish government even despatohed an ezpeditToB
ander Captain Tuckey to proceed up the Congo
and make discoveries, but nothing satisfactory
was the result. The travels of Laing, Denham,
and Clapperton failed to settle the* long disputed
]x>int, and an impenetrable cloud of mystery con-
tinued to hang over the subject till 18& when the
grand discovery was efifecfed by Richard and
John Lander, the former of whom had been the
servant of Clapperton in his African travels, and
who attended hun on the expedition in which he
lost his life

These travellers in March 1830 penetrated info
the country till they reached the Niger ,and proceed-
ed down the stream till thej arrived at the Bight
of Benin, a termination which had been fixed upon
rovny years before bv a German theorist named
Reicnard, although his reasoning was grounded
upon false date. The Niger, or Quorra, or Joliba,
for it is called by all these names, is thus ascer-
teined to flow into the Atlantic ocean in about 5.
N. lat. It discharges its waters by several chan-
nels, forming a great delte like the Nile, Ganges
and Mississippi ; the channel by which the Lan-
ders arrived at the ocean, has been hitherto known
as the river Nun, and the delta is 240 m. in ex-
tent along the coast, from the river Benin to that
of Old Calabar; the inland extent of the delta is
about the same, and the whole territory is inter-
sected by various arms of the river, such as are
called bauous on the lower course of the Missis-
sippi: The banks of these streams are generally
overflown, and the land is covered with mangrove
trees n-owing in the water ; the whole surface is
low, £it and swampy.

For the first half of ite course the Niger flows
in a N. E. course ; between 15. and 16. N. lat. it
turns to the E. and afterwards pursues a southerly
direction to the sea. It flows by the cities of Sego,
Jenne, Tombuctoo, Boussa, Yaoori, Nyfie,Rabba,
Egga, and Kisnee, at which last place the delta
commences. It receives from the N E. a branch
called the Tshadda, which the Landers saw in a
stete of inundation 2 or 3 miles in width. It is
now very evident that neither Herodotus, Pliny .or
Ptolemy ever had anv knowledge of this river,
and that the name of Niger ought no longer to be
applied to it. Ite roost common name in Africa
is the Q^orra.

Jfigono.n town of Itely ,in the duchy of Modena,
22 m. S. W. of Modena.

KigrUia. See J^egroland.

JVi/ie, a great river of Africa, which, according
to the most authentic accounto, rises in the
mountains of the Moon. It runs through the
lake Dembea, then makes a circuit towards its
source, which it leaves 25 m. to the £., and en-
ters into Nubia, through which country it takes
a circuitous course, and forms some considerohle
cataracts. It then flows almost directly. S. througli
Egypt, till it arrives at Cairo ; and a'little below
that city it divides into two great branches, which
with the Mediterranean Sea,forms the island called
Delta. The ancients reckoned eleven mouths of
the Nile, of which seven were considerable ; but
at present there are only two that are at all times
navigable, and those are atRosettaand DamietU.
The fertility of Egypt depends upon the over-
flowing of the Nile, which Ukes place regularlr
every year, from the 15th of June to the 17th of
September, when it begins to decrease. It is caus-
ed b^ the periodical rains that fall between the
tropics, and more particularly in Abyssinia, which
ia rail of high mountains. In Cairo there is a ca-^



Digitized by



Google



MP



M



KOA



Bal called Khalis, which u opened when the water
ia hiffh enough ; thence it u conveyed into res-
ervoirs and cistoros, and ia aAerwarda distributed
into ttie fields and gardens, as occasion requires.

MU, a township of Scioto Co. Ohio.

Mmeguen, a town of the Netherlands, in Quel-
deriand, with a citadel, an ancient palace, and
several forts The churches are io freneral hand-
some structures ; and the town-house is remark-
able for iu beautj and magnificence. The inhab-
itanU subsist chiefly by brewing ale, and their
trade with Germany. The city is celebrated in
history on account of several treaties of peace
concluded here, particularly in 1678. It was taken
by the French in 1794. It stands on the Waal, 35 m.
E. S. E. of Utrecht. Long. 5. 51. £., lat. 51. 52. N»

MmishiHeHy a township of Stark Co. Ohio.

JdmpUchf a town of Prussian Silesia, which

fives name to a circle in the principality of Brieg.
t has a castle on an eminence and is seated on
the Loch. 26 m. S. W. of Broslau.

AtneeeA, p.v. Frederick Co. Va.

Mtig-Kouef a city of China, of the first nnk. in
the province of Kiang-nan, noted for its manuiac-
. tures of paper, made of a species of reed . Its dis-
trict is very hilly, but pleasant ; and the surround-
ing mountains, covered with woods, produce ex-
cellent medicinal plants. It is seated on a river,
which runs into the Kiang-hu, 537 m. S. by £. of
Pekin. Long. 118. 25. E., lat. 31. 2. N.

King-fOy called by Europeans Liaropo, an ex-
cellent sea-port of China, and a city of the first
rank in the orovince of Tche-kiang. The silks
manufactured here are much esteemed in foreign
coantrics especially in Japan, where they are ex-
changed by the Chinese tor copper, gold, and sil-
ver. It is seated on the E. coast, opposite Japan,
C60 m. S. S. £. of Pekin. Long. 12U. 18. £., lat.
29. 58. N.

Mnguia^ a city of Eastern Tartary, in the prov-
ince of Kirin, with considerable trade, particu-
larly in the valuable plant ginseng, which abounds
in the neighbourhood. It is seated on the Hurha,
110 m. N. £. of Kirin. Long. 124. 40. £., lat.
44 30. N.

JWncon, St. a town of Scotland, in Stirlingshire,
with manufactures of leather, cotton cloth, and
^ nails. 2 m. S. £. of Stiriing.

Mfuwe, a town of the Netherlands, in E. Flan-
ders, on the Dender, 13 m. W. of Brussels.

^Yio, an island of the Grecian Archipelago^ to
the S. of Naxia, anciently called Nos. It is 35
m. in circumference, and fertile in com, but has
very little wood or oil. The regular manners of
the inhabitanU, who are all Greeks, revives an
idea of the simplicity of the primitive ages j and
their kind treatment of strangers appears to be
the genuine remains of ancient hospitality.

JSIion, a town of Switzerland, in the canton of
Bern, with a manufacture of beautiful porcelain.
12 m. N. by E. of Geneva.

yYionSf a town of Franco, department of Drome,
with a mineral spring called Pontias, and some
manufactures of soap and woolen cloth. It is
seated at tlie foot of a chain of mountains, on the
river Aignes, 21 m. E. S. E. of Montelimart.

AVor/, a town of France, capital of the'dep



meot of Deux Sevres, with manufactures of drug-
gets, serges, and other coarse woolen goods. It
IS seated on the Sevre Niortoise, 31 m. E. N. E.



ets, serges, and other coarse woolen goods
IS seated on the Sevre Niortoise, 31 m. E. N. ^.
of Rochelle and 46 W. S. W. of Poitiers Long.



0. 33. W.. lat. 46. 20. N.

JfttthoUy the largest island of Japan, 750 m. long
and m>m 150 to 3(K) broad, containing SSprovinoes.



It wai dhttovered in 1542, by the PoctngiMM, wlio
were cast ashore by a tempest. The chief town
is Jedo.

Jfipisrinfff a lake of Upper Canada lying N. £.
of Lake Huron, and flowing into it.

JdMeknd'Jfavogorod. See Hmogvroi,

MsiHiif or JViiAtn, a town and fortress of Asiatic
Turkejr, in Diarbeck, now greatly decayed. It is
seated in a vast plain, 78 m. S. £. of Diarbekir.

JVwula, a small island in the gulf of Naples, very
fertile, and laid out in slopes and terraces like a
large garden. It has a harbour, called Porto
Pavone, 5 m. W. S. W. of Naples.

J^iskaminaf a village in Srhenectadv Co. N. Y.
12 m. K. W. Albany, on the Mohawx, inhabited
by the Shakers. It is built with great neatness
and beauty upon a level spot of about 2,000 acres,
divided into 4 farms. The fields are fenced in
right lines, and everything displays the utmost
order and regularity. The inhabitants dress in
the usual Quaker drab, and cultivate garden stuffs,
seeds, &c. They have also manufactures of vari-
ous household wares which are executed with great
skill and excellence. All their property is neld
in common. Pop. 446.

MUmeSf a city of France, capital of the depart-
ment of Gard, and a bishop's see. Here are nu-
merous monuments of antiquity, of which the
amphitheatre, built by the Romans, is the princi-

Sd. There are likewise the ruins of a temple of
iana, and a grand tower. The Maison Qnarree,
or the Square Hous^, is one of the finest pieces «»f
architecture of the Corinthian order in the world.
Here are manufactures of silk, stuff's, stocking^,
cloth, leather, &«., and a considerable trade in
silk, corn, dried fruita, oil, and wine. It is seated
in a plain, abounding in wine and oil, 75 m. N.
£. of Narbonne. Long. 4. 19. £., lat. 43. 50. N.

JVmm, a strong town of Servia. It was taken
bv the Hungarians in 1737, but retaken by the
Turks the foHowingvear. It is seated on a river
of the same name, 20 m. E. of Precop and 120 S.
£. of Belgrade. Long. 22. 32. E., lat. 43. 32. N.

Mth, a river of Scotland, which rises in Ayr-
shire, flows through a part of Dumfriesshire, to
which it gjyes the' name of Nithsdale, and enters
Solway Frith a little below Dumfries.

Mvetle, a town of the Netherlands, chief place
of an extensive district in Brabant, with a manu-
facture of cambrics ; seated on the Thienne, 15
m. S. of Brussels.

JfivemoiSftL late province of France, between
Burgundy, Bourbonnois, and Berry. It is pretty
fertile, contains mines of iron, and is watered by
a great number of rivers, of which the Loire,
AlTier, and Yonne, are the principal. It now
forms the department of Nievre.

JStxabouTf a town of Persia, in Chorasan, 80 m.
S. E. of Mesched. Long. 61. 32. £., lat. 35.
40. N.

J{ixapa, a town of Mexico, in the province of
Guai^aca, with a rich Dominican convent. The
country near it produces a great deal of indigo,
cochineal, and sugar. It is 30 m. S. £. of Anto-
quiera. Long. 97. 15. W., lat. 16. 42. N.

JVunmton, p.v. Pasquotank Co. N. C. 28 m. N.
E. Edenton.

AizaiMMifam, a town of Hindoostan, in the cir-
car of Giuntoor, at the mouth of the Kistnah, 34
m. S. W. of Masulipatam.

Jdzza ddia Paglia, a town .of Sardinia, in Pied-
mont, seated on the Belbo, 14 m. i?. E. of Asti.

J^oOitoUy a town of Hindoostan, capital of a dis-
trict of its name, in Nepaul. It has a celebrated



Digitized by



Google



wo



JfoaiUes, a town of Frmnoe, departoiMil ^
VWbiw, 6 m. S. 8. E. of Poiiten.

yoawtgur, a town of Uiodoostan, in Gnxemt,
capiui ofa diatrict of iu nama on the eotat of the
gulf tof Cotob, inhabited hw a piratical tribe, ealled
tSanearians. The chief of the diitrict, by a tamty
\?ith liie British, engaged io prevent hia •obwcte
froai pluDd4*ring British Tewieb. 190 m. W. 8.
W. of Ainedabad. Long. 69. 30., lat. 22. 22. if.

JVW/'€, a township of Morgan Co. Ohio.

J^ubleborougk, p.t. Lincoln Co. Me. Fop. Ifi76.

JSohlesrWtf p.w. Hamilton Co. Indiana. -

Jforera a town of Italy, in the duchy ofSpoIeto,
seated at the foot of the Apenniiiea, 18 m. N. £
of Spoleto.

JCoctra ddli Pagami, a town of Naples, in Prin-
eioato Citra, 8 m. N. W. of Salerno and 20 8. £.
olNaplea.

XockamhoKf a township of Bucks Co. Pa.

ffogaraj a town of France, department of €rert,
SI m.S.W. of Condom.

Jfomeoi. a town of Hindooatan. Nepanl, with
a celebrated pagoda, 00 m. N. E. of Catmandu.

JfogetU U kotrcu, a town of France, department
of Eurp-et-Loire, seated on the Huisne, 35 m. N.
£. of Mans.

Jfogent Mur Seme, a town in the department of
Aube, seated on the Seine, ,25 m. N. W. of
Troves

Jn»»r, Cape, a promontory at the S. extremity of
Terra del Faego. Long. 73. 33. W., laL 54. 32.
8.

Jfoimunitier. an island of France, in the bav of
Biscay, 8. of the month of the river Loire. It is
12 m. long and 3 broad, and haa good pastures.
The principal town, of the same name, is defend-
ed bv a fort. Lonff. 2. 10. W., lat. 47. 0. N.

Ao/s, a town or Naples, in Terra di Lavoro,
once a rich Roman colony, and still a handsome
place. The silk spun m its neighbourhood is
much esteemed. It is 14 m. E. N. £. of Naples.

JiofetuviUe, p.v. Williams Co. Ten.

JVo/t, a town of Sardinia, with a fort and a good
harbour, 30 m. S. W. of Genoa. Long. 6. 41. £.,
lat. 44. 18. N.

Jfomltre de Dios, a town of Terra Firma, in the
province of Darien, 30 m. E. of Porto Bello, to
which its once flourishing trade is now trans-
ferred.

JVofnbre de Dios, a town of Mexico, the most
populous in the province of Zacatecas. 170 m.
N. of Guadalaxara. Long. 104. 15. W., lat. 24.
O.N. *

Js'ameni/, a town of France, in the department
of Meurthfi, on the Seille, 15 m. N. of Nancy

Hon, Cape, a promontory of the kingdom of
Fez, opposite the Canary Islands. The Portu-
guese, in their first attempts to explore the W.
coast of Africa, long considered this promontory
as an impassable boundary. This its name im-
ports ; but they doubled it, at last, in 1412. Long.
11. 50. W., lat. 2d. 38. N.

JVona, a sea-port of Dalmatia, and a bishop's see.
It was once a splendid city, but is now a mean
place, and its harbour not capable of receiving
large vessels. It is almost surrounded by the sea.
7 m. N.by W.ofZara.

Jifontron, a town of France department of Dor-
dogne, 21 m. N. of Perigneux.

A'oopour, a town of Hindoostan, in Guzerat, 55
m. E. of Surat. Long. 73. 50. E., lat. 21. 11. N.

Jfooika Sound, See Oregon.



• XPft

war whiob me the best iron mines i|i the province.
Itifi 34 n». N. of SUoemaholm. Long. 16. 12. £.,
lat. 60. 2. N.

Jforda, a town of Italy, in the duchy of Spole-
to, aealed among mountains, on the river Fredan,
20 m. 8. £. of Spoleto.

A«rd, a department of France, so named from
its situation. It includes the mater part of the
former divisions of Hainault, Trench Flanders,
and Cambresis.

Jiordlmrg, a town of Denmarii, at the N. extrem-
ity of the isle of Alsen, with a castle 9 m. N. N.
W. of Sonderborg.

Aorde»,a sea-port of Hanover, in Friesland,
«with a good harbour. It is 4 m. from tlie Ger-
man Ocean and 14 N. of Emden.

Ifcrdkausem, a town of Prussian Saxqny, in the
government of Erfurt, with 7 Lutheran churches
and a well-built orphan-house. It has a consider-
able trade in com, brandy, and rape and lintseed
oil, and manufactures of marble and alabaster. It
was ceded to Prussia in 1802 : and is seated on
the Zorge,35 m. N. N. E. of Erfurt. Long. 10. 56.
£., lat 51. 30 N.

Jfordkeim, a town of Hanover, rituale on the
Rhume, at its conflux with the Leina, 10 m. N
ofGottingen.

Ai»'d&^p£ii^,asea'Port of Sweden, in Gothland.
It is 10 m. in circumference, but the houses are
scattered, and the inhabitants do not exceed 12,000
The.river Motala flows through the town, forms a
series of cataracts, and is divided into four prin-
cipal streams, which encircle several rocky islands
covered with buildings ; but at the extremity of
the town it is navigable for laree vessels. Here
are manufactures of woolen cloth, paper, and fire-
arms, some sugar-houses, and a brass fbundery.
Corn is exported hence in great quantities ; and
a salmon fishery gives emplojrment and riches to
many ot the inhabitants. It is 110 m. S. W of
Stockholm. Long. 15. 50. E., lat. 58. 35. N.

J^ordlund, one of the ancient divisions of Swe-
den, bounded on the N. by Lapland, £. by the
Gulf of Bothnia, S. by Sweden Proper, and W.
by the same and Norway. It contains six provin-
ces.

Jfordland, a province of Norway, having the
North Sea, on the IV. and Swedish Lapland on
the E.

J^ordlingen, a town of Bavaria, fprtified in the
ancient manner. Here the league of the five
western circles of the empire was concluded in
1702. In 1796 it was taken by the French. It is
a commercial p1ai;e, seated on the E^ger, 38 m. N
N. W. of Augsburg. Long. 10. 34. E., lat. 4S
50. N.

J^''ordmaling, a town of Sweden, in Angerma-
nia, near a bay of the guif of Bothnia, 24 m. S.
W. of Uma, and 70 N. E. of Hermosand.

Jiordstrand, an island of Denmark, on the W.
coast of S. Jutland, 12 m. long and 5 broad. I(
has a town called Ham, 28 m. W. of Sleswick.
Long. 0. 4. E., lat. 54. 40. N.

J^ore, a noted part of the river Thames, situated
off Sheerness, at the point of a sand bank which
runs eastward from the Isle of Grain. It is the
well known limit of the Cooknevs' summer voy-
age. Long. 0. 44. £., lat. 51. 27. N.

J^orfolk, a county of England, 77 m. long
and 45 broad ; bounded on the N. and £. hy the
German Ocean, S. E. and S. by Suffolk, and W.
by Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire. It contains
1,094,400 acres, is divided into 33 hundreds and



Digitized by



Goosle



AOR



M



IIHM



000 plbU/htii, hte atiK elt^ tad ^ lattrlrcjt loWiis,
and sends 12 members to p^flicment. The prodacts
<^ry ilbcordin^ to the soil and sitaation. The
lighter arable lands produce barley in great plen-
ty ; wheat is eultivated in the strongest soils;



Online LibraryJohn Marshall Richard BrookesA new universal gazetteer, containing a descripton of the principal nations ... → online text (page 145 of 216)