Copyright
John Morley.

Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) online

. (page 10 of 111)
Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 10 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


time.

Mr. Bauer was a public-spirited citizen, and



nobly performed any duty to his fellow-citizens
which devolved upon him. He was a consistent
member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church,
and exemplified the true Christian in his daily
walks of life. Being actuated by high moral
principles, he was universally respected and be-
loved. He took an intelligent interest in the
affairs of his adopted country and city but never
sought public place for himself. He continued
to support the political principles of the Republi-
can party from the time he became a citizen of
the United States, about the time that this party
came into existence.

March 24, 1860, Mr. Bauer was married to
Miss Anna Apel, a native of Berlin, Germany,
and a daughter of John and Augusta Apel, who
came to Chicago in 1849. Mr. Apel passed away
in California, and his widow still resides in Chi-
cago. Mr. and Mrs. Bauer became the parents
of five children, namely: Max F., Herman A.,
Robert A. , Clara and Hertha, all of whom are
now living, to be an aid and comfort to their
widowed mother. The entire family is held in
high esteem in the circles in which they move.



WILLIAM H. CARMAN.



HENRY CARMAN, who has
been a resident of Chicago for nearly four
decades, celebrated, with his faithful wife,
the golden anniversary of their wedding, at
their home on Lincoln Avenue, April 19, 1898.
Mr. Carman was born December 9, 1828, in New
Brunswick, New Jersey, where his grandparents
Lewis and Catherine Carman were highly re-
spected residents. Lewis Carman was a slave-
holder and was many years cashier of the Far-
mers' and Mechanics' Bank of New Brunswick.
Abraham Voorhees Carman, father of the sub-
ject of this sketch, was born November 18, 1805,



in New Brunswick, New Jersey, and was a
schoolteacher in New York City from 1830 to
1845. During his leisure moments he pursued
the study of dentistry, which profession he prac-
ticed in the same city until his death, which oc-
curred November 3, 1858, just before completing
the fifty-third year of his age. He was a mem-
ber of the'Universalist Church and was buried in
the Dutch Reformed Churchyard at New Bruns-
wick. His wife, Ellen Oppie, mother of William
H. Carman, was born May 14, 1806, in Borden-
town, New Jersey, was married to A. V. Carman
September 7, 1826, and died February 7, 1864,



68



W. H. CARMAN.



while on a visit to her son in Chicago. Her re-
mains were deposited in Graceland Cemetery.

The subject of this sketch attended the public
school in his native town, in which his father was
a teacher. In 1845 he took up the study of den-
tistry with his father and subsequently practiced
with him two years. He came to Chicago in
1860 and entered mercantile life as a clerk with
John Ellis, commission merchant, located at No.
14 State Street, in whose service he continued
three years.

In 1863 he was appointed on the city police
force and continued in the police department suc-
cessively as patrolman, custodian of stolen prop-
erty, clerk and desk sergeant, until his retire-
ment, October 26, 1897. He served under all
chiefs of police from Cyrus Bradley to Joseph
Kipley, during a period of thirty-four years, and
participated in all the rough experiences of the
department in that time, including the great
holocaust of 1871, and the anarchist riot of 1886.
During the Civil War he was on duty under Isaac
Milliken in the provost marshal's office, with
Chief-of-Police C. P. Bradley, Mr. Carman's
duty being the charge of permits granted to per-
sons leaving the city.

He was on duty one month as inside guard
over Confederate prisoners at Camp Douglas.
After the war he was stationed at the armory,
corner of Adams and Franklin Streets, taking care
of returning soldiers. He assisted in the capture
of Colonel Marmaduke and others concerned in
the great Northwestern conspiracy, to liberate
Confederate prisoners from Camp Douglas.

Mr. Carman was made a Mason in 1854, in
Hope Lodge, New York City, was demitted in
1863, and affiliated with Kilwinnig Lodge No.
311, of Chicago, in which he was elected a life
member December 24, 1894.

April 19, 1848, Mr. Carman was married to
Miss Sarah Elizabeth Jennings, the ceremon)'
being conducted in New York City by Rev. W.
S. Balsh. Mrs. Carman was born November 19,
1832, in Poughkeepsie, New York. Her father,
Eli Jennings, was born January 22, 1805, near
Bridgeport, Connecticut. He was a carpenter by
trade and came to Chicago in 1857 from New



York City. He died here November 8, 1876,
and his remains were taken to Danbury, Con-
necticut, and laid away in Wooster Cemetery.
He was married May 23, 1826, at Danbury, Con-
necticut, to Miss Almira Mallory, who was born
February 2, 1808, and is still living, in August,
1898. She is a daughter of Ezra Mallory and
Eliza Andrews- Mallory. May 23, 1876, her fif-
tieth wedding anniversary was celebrated at the
home of her daughter, Mrs. Carman, No. 191
Lincoln Avenue. On that occasion were present
two of her children, ten grandchildren and one
great-grandchild. Mr. Jennings survived this
event a little less than six months.

Mr. and Mrs. Carman are the parents of three
children. The eldest, Harriett Elizabeth, born in
New York City, June 10, 1849, married Levi M.
Peck, of Danbury, Connecticut, January i, 1866.
They have eight children: Lillian Starr, Will-
iam Carman, Sarah, Eli, Edward Clayton,
Charles Arthur, Walter Stanley and Mamie
Alice. The eldest of these is now the wife of
Miles Desbrow, of Danbury, Connecticut. The
third married his brother, David Desbrow, and
is the mother of one child, Phoebe.

Elmira Ellen Carman, born in Chicago No-
vember 25, 1861, is the wife of James Thomson,
of Rogers Park, Chicago. They have a son
named Harry Carman. Frank, third child of
William H. and Elizabeth Carman, born Decem-
ber 8, 1866, married Mary Charlotte Austgen
and has two children, William Austgen and
Esther Catherine.

The golden wedding anniversary of Mr. and
Mrs. Carman was a notable event in Chicago
society. There were living on this occasion all
of their children, eleven grandchildren and one
great-grandchild. About two hundred of their
friends and neighbors were present and the occa-
sion was rendered especially notable by the pres-
ence of Mrs. Carman's mother, whose golden
wedding anniversary had been celebrated in the
same house twenty-two years before. The prin-
cipals in this joyful event bore every evidence of
sound health, and it was difficult for those pres-
ent to believe that the bride of fifty years ago is
already a great-grandmother. When her eldest



E. D. SPOONER.



69



child was born there were living four of its
grandfathers and six grandmothers these, in-
cluding two each of paternal ancestors, preceding
the father and mother and three maternal ances-
tors on each side. The day was celebrated after
the fashion of an old "New England calling day"
and visitors paid their respects in a steady stream
from noon until midnight. Refreshments and



music aided in giving pleasure to the occasion,
and all joined in the wish that many future anni-
versaries might be thus celebrated. Numerous
letters of regret were received from distant
friends. Mr. and Mrs. Carman may well feel
proud of the evidences of friendship and esteem
vouchsafed to them in many ways at this notable
festival.



EDMUND D. SPOONER.



IT DMUND D. SPOONER, who is senior vice
ry national commander of the Union Veteran
I Legion, of Chicago, Illinois, is a native of
Connersville, Indiana, where he was born Au-
gust 9, 1843. He is a son of Judge William L.
and Catherine (Smith) Spooner, natives of Cin-
cinnati, Ohio. William L. Spooner was a son of
Reed Spooner, born in Cincinnati, who came of
a colonial family of New Bedford, Massachusetts.
Judge W. L. Spooner was a pioneer in Cincinnati,
and was a merchant in that city in the days of
its early history. He was very successful in this
venture. He studied law and was admitted to
the bar, and for a period of thirty-five years
practiced in the courts of Ohio and Indiana. He
was elected judge of the court of common pleas
of Hamilton County, and served one term. He
was prominent in political affairs, a fine orator and
a man of strong character and natural abilities.

He was deputy collector of internal revenue
under President Lincoln's administration in Cin-
cinnati, serving under his brother, Thomas
Spooner, who was the first collector under this
administration in the first district of Ohio.
During the Morgan raid he raised a regiment,
of which he became colonel, and served in Ken-
tucky till after the scare was over. He support-
ed Lincoln and after the organization of the Re-
publican party upheld its principles and interests
by his voice and vote. He married Catherine



Smith, daughter of John L. Smith, of Cincinnati,
Ohio. She was a niece of Caleb B. Smith,
Lincoln's secretary of the interior, and afterward
judge of the United States court in the Indian-
apolis district, who died suddenly, of hemorrhage,
in his consultation rooms.

Judge Spooner was the father of seven children,
of whom three daughters and two sons are still
living. Mr. and Mrs. Spooner are both deceased.
Edmund D. Spooner is the second of his father's
family, and he was but two years old when his
father removed from Connersville. He grew to
manhood in Cincinnati and there received the
preliminaries of his education. He subsequently
entered a college near the city and had just en-
tered the junior year when the war broke out, in
1 86 1. He enlisted in the seventy-five thousand
three-month call, April 19, 1861, in Company
G, Fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and went in-
to camp at Camp Denison. June 19 of the same
year the regiment re-enlisted as a body in the call
for three hundred thousand men for three years.
He was sworn in as sergeant, but on July 5, 1861,
received an appointment from President Lincoln
as second lieutenant, to date from May 14, 1861,
in the Fifth United States Artillery. He was
discharged from the volunteer service at Camp
Denison, to accept a position offered him by
President Lincoln, and reported to his regiment
at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. For two months



E. D. SPOONER.



he was located at that place and at Williamsport
and New York City, in recruiting and organizing
the regiment. He then reported to General
Wood, at Baltimore, with his command, and un-
til the fall of 1862 was, with his regiment, on
duty guarding the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad from
Baltimore to Monocacy Bridge, Maryland. This
was an arduous and important duty and involved
hardships and dangers. In the fall of 1862 he
was ordered to report to Maj.-Gen. Robert H.
Milroy, at Winchester, Virginia, with his com-
mand. From this time until January, 1863,
he was actively engaged in raiding the enemy's
country, as far south as New Market, Virginia,
in the Shenandoah Valley, taking 'part in many
small engagements. June 13-14-15, 1863, they
fought under General Milroy, with a force of ten
thousand men, against the rebel General Swell's
thirty thousand men. The Union troops were
forced to retreat to Harper's Ferry, but on the
night of June 15, 1863, they fought Ewell the
second time and had a wild night's fight of it.
At Harper's Ferry the company joined the Third
Army Corps, commanded by Major-General
French, and arrived in Gettysburg in time to
partake in the excitement and bloodshed of the
last days of this great battle. Lieutenant Spoon-
er's company lost heavily in this battle and he
had two horses killed under him. He was on
detached duty for some time after this in the
vicinity of Washington, District of Columbia.

He was promoted July i, 1863, to the position
of first lieutenant, .and reported to Battery H,
Army of the Cumberland, Fourteenth Army
Corps, under Gen. George H. Thomas, reach-
ing his command immediately after the battle
of Chickamauga, the army being stationed at
Chattanooga, Tennessee. From this time, Sep-
tember, 1863, to the battle of Mission Ridge, he
was with the army. In this battle his battery was
posted on Orchard Knob. He received special
orders from General Grant to fire his six pieces
simultaneously, to give the signal to advance the
army of General Thomas in the center. Three
days' fighting followed and Lieutenant Spooner
was in the saddle during this entire length of
time. After the battle of Mission Ridge he was



ordered back to Nashville, Tennessee, to recruit
his battery, but was not idle and participated in
many marches, among which was the one after
Forrest into Alabama.

During the early months of 1864 his battery
became so thinned out that it was consolidated
with Battery K, the ranking officers assuming
command. The non-commissioned officers were
sent to Fort Hamilton, New York. Here Lieu-
tenant Spooner organized a new battery with full
complement of men, and was sent to the Dry
Tortugas to guard political prisoners. About this
time he was married, and not caring to enter into
active service in the front, he resigned his com-
mission, January 26, 1865, and returned to Cin-
cinnati. Here he engaged in mercantile pursuits
and has thus been occupied to the present time.
He has always taken an active interest in politics,
and held the position of deputy auditor of Hamil-
ton County, Ohio, at one time. In all orders
arising from military operations, Lieutenant
Spooner has taken an active interest and aided in
every possible manner.

In the Union Veteran Legion he is past nation-
al adjutant general, and at the present time,
1897-98, is senior vice national commander of
the same. He has been actively engaged in aid-
ing the progress of the Grand Army of the Re-
public, and has been prominent in committee
work in the Loyal Legion. He is a member of the
western society of the Army of the Potomac, and
also of the Army of the Cumberland. He is past
grand of Magnolia Lodge No. 83, Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, of Cincinnati, Ohio, and
also of Encampment No. 42, Knights of Pythias,
of Cincinnati.

Mr. Spooner was married February 28, 1865,
to Miss Mary Humphre3'S. They became the
parents of three sons: Elmont H., Alexander
and Charles E., now deceased. Mrs. Spooner
died in 1890. Mr. Spooner is a true type of the
old soldier and is proud to bear the title. He
bravely did his duty in time of war without
shrinking. In the life of a citizen he has proved
himself loyal to the rights and interests of the
people, and will always be honored and respected
as a man of noble character and upright principle.



OF THE
'VERSITY OF



J. R. HOXIU.



JOHN R. HOXIE.






flOHN RANDOLPH HOXIE. Chicago, the
I Queen of our Great West, is indebted for its
(2) marvelous growth and rapid development,
which have caused the whole world to acknowl-
edge its commercial greatness, to a few men,
who, to lay the foundations of metropolitan su-
premacy, gave the best of their heart's blood,
their brain power, and nerve forces. The ma-
jority have as their reward wealth or honor, but
few have both. Among the active business men
who have acquired both was the subject of this
sketch, who obtained it through close attention
to business, and unswerving integrity and up-
rightness of character.

John R. Hoxie was born December 13, 1831,
in Macedon, near Rochester, New York, and his
parents were Cornelius and Anna (Brawuell)
Hoxie. He received a partial education in the
Macedon Academy, but as his tastes impelled
him to use every opportunity for learning busi-
ness ways, his school days were thus cut short.
Many stories of his youthful trading propensities
illustrate his ability in doing well for himself, and
in him could plainly be seen the future financier
and business man. On one occasion he wished
to buy a fish-hook, but as his finances were low,
he applied to the banker of the town, who lent
him three cents. After catching and disposing of
the fish he very promptly paid his debt, thus
winning the esteem of his creditor. At the age
of fourteen years he bought all the turkeys in the
neighborhood and realized a handsome profit on
them. At seventeen years of age he was able to
buy his "time" or independence from his father,
for one thousand dollars. He was always pru-



dent with his earnings, and many times walked
from Albany to Rochester to save the fare by
stage.

Mr. Hoxie became a sub-contractor on the
Niagara Falls Railroad at an early age, and later
was in the same position on the Staten Island
Railroad. While in the latter position the yellow
fever began raging and he was quarantined, but
finally escaped to the mainland. After spending
nearly two years in Virginia he returned to
Rochester, New York, where he became a dealer
in live stock, which he shipped over the Michigan
Southern and other railroads. His fame as a
man of great business tact and ability spread
over many States, and in 1857 he received an
offer to assist in the management of the shipping
business of the Michigan Southern Railroad, with
headquarters in Chicago. This offer was re-
ceived by telegram, and hastily packing his
satchel, he told his mother he would return in a
few days; but the days lengthened into weeks,
months, and years, and he did not return home
until 1862. The officers of the company recog-
nized his ability, and the position of stock agent
was offered him, which he accepted and retained
during his connection with the road.

At this time the company was almost bankrupt,
but Mr. Hoxie infused new life into the business
by building up the freight traffic, thus saving it
from financial ruin. For this service the com-
pany was ever truly grateful, and he was retained
in office long after his active interest ceased.
Largely through his influence the railroad was
able to retain its controlling interest in the Union
Stock Yards, and the profits from the tremendous



J. R. HOXIE.



traffic in live stock thus brought to it. When a
combined effort was made by the other roads to
induce Mr. Hoxie to retire from the service of the
Michigan Southern, he declined every consider-
ation offered him, and remained faithful through
all temptation.

From early morning until late eve did he labor
in the interest of this road, and this was practi-
cally his life work. He foresaw great possibilities
in its future, and steadily strove to carry it for-
ward to its destiny. His nature rejoiced in
victory over opposition, and the sharp competition
he often met was refreshing to his restless spirit,
and a stimulus to greater exertions. He loved
work for its own sake, not for praise and reward.
In the end, however, he paid the usual penalty
for living under such high pressure, by the in-
vasion of sickness and premature death. His
nature could not rest, and though his life was
shorter, he accomplished much more than the
majority of business men.

Though an extremely busy man, he was al-
ways cheerful, and liked the society of his fel-
lows. He was, however, a stranger to the
fashionable clubs, and made his home the scene
of his rest and recreation. His wife was a
worthy life companion, and her delight was to
make the home pleasant, having a serene manner,
a contented disposition, and being a great help to
her husband in curbing his great ambition and
teaching him the lessons of patience.

As soon as he was able Mr. Hoxie began to
invest money in securities, and so good was his
foresight that he became wealthy. In 1878 he
bought a large grant of land from the heirs of
Dr. Hoxie, a veteran of the Texan and the Mexi-
can Wars, and an army surgeon under General
Houston. This grant embraced ten thousand
acres of land in Williamson County, Texas, to
which he added another purchase of seven thou-
sand acres. It is situated thirty-five miles from
Austin, and six thousand acres of it have been
cultivated, and fifty families reside on it.

Mr. Hoxie also bought fifty-two thousand
acres of land at Midland, Texas, in the Counties
of Martin and Andrews, this land being used for
grazing. Beside his mansion on Michigan Ave-



nue, he had a country home twenty-one miles
south of Chicago, which included seven hundred
fifty-seven acres of land. Here he spent many
hours away from the cares of business life, and
lived close to the heart of Nature. On all his
farms he has kept the buildings in excellent
repair, having built many new ones. Unlike
most business men, he early instructed his wife
in the details of his affairs, being animated by the
principle that what was his also belonged to her.
To this wise precaution his widow now largely
owes her ability to manage the property with
such success.

Mr. Hoxie made annual trips to his possessions
in the South, and to every one of these Texas
owed some improvement, and he many times
used his influence in opening some avenue of
commerce. In 1887 he decided to retire from
business, but never fully carried out his intention.
When he was in Texas he made his headquarters
at Fort Worth and there he was held in high es-
teem by all the inhabitants, and especially the
business men. Prior to his coming to this town
the business was very dull, but he inspired confi-
dence by organizing the Farmers and Mechanics'
National Bank, with a capital of one million
dollars. He was the president of this bank and
also of the First National Bank at Taylor, Texas.
He was connected with twenty other banks in this
State, his influence and standing giving them
power to exist.

In 1891, at the urgent request of the citizens
of Fort Worth, he organized stock yards and
packinghouses, and the next year passed through
a strike which made his presence at the yards
necessary. This was such a severe strain on his
finely organized nervous constitution that he
never recovered his former health. A small bene-
fit was gained at Carlsbad Springs, Germany, but
nothing could entirely stay the ravages of the
disease, diabetes, from which his death resulted.
He passed away November 21, 1896.

Mr. Hoxie was a talented man, and had many
charming traits of character. His influence was
ever for good and his advice in municipal affairs
was often sought and freely given. He was presi-
dent of the Board of Trustees of Hyde Park and a



LEONARD SWETT.



73



school trustee in the town ol Lake. During the
centennial year he was a candidate for Congress
on the Democratic ticket, but was defeated.
Though he never afterward held any office his in-
fluence was such that he controlled many positions
of trust and responsibility. His rare wit and
skillful repartee may be said to be gifts inherited
from his mother, well-known for her good sense
and quick perception.

Mr. Hoxie became interested in the Chicago
City Railway Company and was instrumental in
extending the cable lines, being for many years
one of the largest individual stockholders. He
was many times the youngest member of various
boards of management, where he was neverthe-
less recognized as a born leader. His associates
often called him "Boy," among these being such
men as Silas B. Cobb, Daniel Jones, Solomon
Sturges, Lyman Blair, John De Koven, Samuel
Nickerson, Lyman J. Gage, John B. Sherman,
P. D. Armour, Samuel Allerton, and others
equally well-known . He was called the ' ' Mogul' '
of the Stock Yards Railroad along Fortieth Street,
which was secured by his indefatigable energy.



In his business methods Mr. Hoxie was unlike
the average man. Though possessed of sufficient
ability to carry on numerous vast business enter-
prises at the same time, he never used books to
record his transactions, but so carefully was
everything systematized that he suffered no loss
from this fact. His was an eccentric character,
but he was no recluse, and enjoyed rare friend-
ships. He was well-known in Masonic circles,
having attained the thirty-second degree. His
wealth was accumulated in a legitimate way, and
his only extravagance was indulged in providing
for the comfort of his family. In religious
belief he was a Quaker, and helped build and
maintain the church at Twenty-sixth Street and
Indiana Avenue. The principles of his forefathers
seemed to be the guide and rule of his life.

Mr. Hoxie was married October 22, 1872, to
Mary J., daughter of P. D. Hamilton. Among
the Quakers she was known as "John's wife, "but
her husband always spoke of her with deference
as Mrs. Mary J. Hoxie. Their union was blessed
by three children, namely: John R., junior,
Gilbert H. and Anna C.



LEONARD SWETT.






I EONARD SWETT was born August n,
It 1825, near the village of Turner, Oxford
i_y County, Maine, on what was known as
Swett's Hill. This hill slopes in all directions,



Online LibraryJohn MorleyAlbum of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois : with portraits (Volume 1900) → online text (page 10 of 111)