riving in America they immediately located in
Crogan, Lewis County, New York. All of the
children settled there except Virginia, Julia, Jo-
sephine and Peter Francois, who stayed in New
York City. J. F. Rofinot purchased two hun-
dred acres of land in Lewis County, and after
conducting a farm for some time retired from act-
ive life. He remained at his residence there
until his death, which occurred in 1887, having
reached the age of ninety-four years. He was a
contractor and builder in his native land, his
business being mostly with public buildings,
schoolhouses and bridges. He was a large man,
weighing about one hundred and seventy pounds,
and had a fine education.
The mother of Peter F. Rofinot died at the age
of sixty-five years, in 1866. She was also born
in Dambelin, France, and her children were
named as follows: Eugene F., Virginia, Julia,
Josephine, Peter F., Augustus, Rosalie, Felicita,
Joseph, Victor and Adel. Victor is the only one
living except the subject of this biography, and
all of the children were born in the same house
in Dambeliu, France. There were twelve in all,
but the first-born died in infancy.
Peter Francois Rofinot was in New York three
months and then went to Crogan, New York,
and built a sawmill. After a short time he dis-
posed of it and went to the scene of the digging
of the Erie Canal. He was here employed as
stone cutter, and after three months was made
foreman. He remained in this capacity until he
came to Chicago, reaching that city September
14, 1840. He was subsequently made foreman
of work on the Illinois & Michigan Canal, occu-
H. G. F. PAULY.
pying that position until December, 1841. In
June, 1842, he turned his attention to the car-
penter's trade, and continued at the same until
August. He made a trip to Torold, Canada, but
returned to Chicago in 1845. He purchased an
interest in a stone quarry, with Robert Cunning-
ham for partner, at Joliet, and brought stone to
Chicago, a distance of forty miles, by team, and
sold it for five dollars per ton.
After two years he established a cut stone aud
marble store in Chicago, on the alley between
Washington and Madison Streets, near Clark
Street. He continued the business until the canal
opened, when he sold out. He moved his build-
ing to Fifth Avenue, between Polk and Harrison
Streets, opening a stone yard there, and this be-
came one of the most extensive enterprises in the
west of its kind. He admitted a partner, James
K. Polk, and closed out the business after eight-
een months, losing about three hundred thou-
sand dollars in the deal. The company was
organized as the Great Western Stone Company.
Mr. Rofinot then retired from active business,
this being at the time of the great crisis of 1857.
Peter F. Rofinot was married, November 10,
1841, to Mrs. Delphine Mueller, n6e Choulet,
who was born June 20, 1819, in Paris, France.
She has a son, Alexander Choulet. The children
of Mr. and Mrs. Rofiuot were nine in number.
Amelia Adele, born September 6, 1842, married
Joseph Menard July 3, 1862; he resides in Mc-
Cook, Red Willow County, Nebraska, with his
wife and children: Delphine, Ida, Josephine and
Aimee, aud conducts a general store. John
Francis was born July 19, 1844. Francis Peter,
born June 30, 1846, died October 4, 1847. A
biography of Victor Peter Francis appears else-
where in this volume. Alfred Morris is spoken
of on another page of this work also. Louise
Amelia, born October 31, 1852, died July 13,
1853. Aglie Eugenie, born August 9, 1854,
married George Frinier April 22, 1872; she re-
sides at Redondo Beach, California, and her chil-
dren are: Oliver, Robert, Genevieve and George.
Joseph Augustus, born July 31, 1856, was mar-
ried, October 6, 1886, to Annie Kelly; he is a
painter by occupation, and resides at No. 1909
Indiana Avenue. Delphine Felicite, born Febru-
ary 2, 1859, died March 16, 1860.
Mr. Rofinot has always adhered to the Roman
Catholic Church. He was three terms president
of the French Benevolent Society, and is also a
member of the French Pioneer Society. He was
a Democrat until the organization of the Repub-
lican party, and served as South Town Super-
visor one term.
HENRY G. F. PAULY.
HENRY GEORGE FREDERICK PAULY.
Nearly six decades have passed since this
old resident of Chicago, hale and hearty,
despite his years, first opened his eyes in the
duchy of Schleswig-Holstein September 4, 1839.
He is the oldest son (and third child) of Henry
and Christina Pauly. His father lived to the age
of sixty -five and died in the land of his nativity,
where he had lead the life of a tailor and farmer.
After an early training in the common schools,
Henry learned the trade of carpenter, serving an
apprenticeship of seven years, and becoming a
journeyman at the age of twenty-two. Then he
enlisted in the military service, serving almost
continuously from 1861 to 1864, when the war
between Denmark and Germany came to an end.
At the conclusion of the struggle, having received
his discharge from the army, he went to Sonde-
verberg, where he remained, working at his trade
and erecting buildings, among them the court
house of the city. Before leaving there he su-
perintended the erection of a national monument
to the honor of the victor in the Danish- German
war. He was in government employ, and showed
admirable executive capacity in the handling of
large numbers of men. During the Franco-Prus-
sian War he again served as a soldier, fighting
under the imperial standard of William I. In
1872 he came to America, settling in Chicago.
For two years after reaching this city he worked
at his trade as a journeyman, but in 1874 started
in business as a contractor. His first field of
operations was in the northwestern part of the
city, where for a time he had comparatively lit-
tle competition. He put down several sidewalks,
and for a time cultivated a patch of ground near
the intersection of Harrison and Rockwell Streets,
lu 1876 he started a milk route, but disposed of
this in 1880, to engage in the clothing business
at Nos. 206-210 Monroe Street. After three years
he again returned to the sale of milk, establish-
ing himself at No. 994 North Rockwell Street.
He prospered, and in 1894 determined to give
up the sale of milk from wagons and to open a
store for the sale of milk and groceries. This
business he still conducts at the same location.
In 1870, after seeking his fortune in a strange
land, he married Miss Julia Lund. They have
reared a family of seven children, all of whom
are living, while six are at home. Their names
are: Sophia, Henry, George, Bertha (wife of
Caspar Gundgraf, of Chicago), Willie, Charles
Mr. Pauly was reared in the Lutheran Church,
and adheres to the faith of his fathers. Since be-
coming a citizen he has supported the Democratic
party. He has a wide circle of acquaintances,
among whom his genially and sterling worth
have earned for him at once popularity and re-
(31 XEL HOCKERT is a representative citizen,
LJ being at the same tijne true to the memory
/I of his native land and loyal to the country
of his adoption. He was born December 19,
1838, in the town of Hammerby, in the province
of Northland, Sweden, a son of Gustav and Marie
(Hammarstrom) Hockert. For further mention
of the ancestry of Axel Hockert than is here
given, refer to the biography of Francis Hooker.
The paternal grandfather of the man whose
name heads this article, Gustav Hooker, was
born in Finland, in the city of Tawastelus. He
removed to Sweden when about sixteen years of
age. He was an expert gardener and handed
down his taste for this art to the generations to
follow. He died at the age of eighty years, leav-
ing two children: Gustav, father of the subject
of this biography, and Johanna, who married
The maternal grandfather of Axel Hockert,
Nicholas Hammarstrom, was born in Sweden.
He was a gardener, and his only child became
Mrs. Gustav Hockert. This last-named gentle-
man, father of Axel Hockert, was born in Stock-
holm, Sweden, in 1802. He studied medicine,
and died in September, 1874. He followed the
profession for some time. His life partner was
born in 1804, in Westmanland, Sweden, in the
town of Skattmansa, and she died in April, 1871.
Her children were six in number. Francis, the
oldest of this family, is spoken of on another
page of this work. Ferdinand is married and
H. T. WELLS.
has a family of children in Sweden. Matilda
married Carl Osthund, and her children were
named: August, Edla, Lottie, Augusta, Lena,
Emma, Louisa and Julius. Axel is the next in
order of birth. Augusta located in America in
1880, and married Carl Soderberg. They reside
at No. 5242 La Salle Street. Clara emigrated
from her native land with her sister, Augusta.
She married Claus Swanson, and resides at No.
656 Stephenson Street, Pullman.
Axel Hockert learned the trade of gardener in
the land of his nativity, in the town of Gefle.
He followed this occupation five years, until he
was twenty years of age. He began teaching
public school at the age of thirty years and took
a diploma from a seminary at the town of Heder-
mora, which was a three-years' course certificate.
He instructed ten years and then returned to the
occupation of gardening, which he followed until
the time he emigrated from Sweden. He reached
Chicago May 15, 1880, and was employed as
cabinet-maker, in which he was very successful
and in which he is still interested.
Mr. Hockert was enabled, in 1887, to erect a
residence at No. 6713 Rhodes Avenue, where he
has since been located. He was married June
24, 1866, to Miss Johanna Lof, daughter of An-
drew and Katharine (Johnsen) Lof. Mrs. Hock-
ert was born May 18, 1841, in the town of
Hofors, Sweden. Her only child, Marie Johanna,
resides at home with her parents. Mr. Hockert
was reared a Lutheran and is true to the teaching
of his father's people. He is independent in
political views and is very influential among
the citizens of the portion of the city where he
HENRY T. WELLS.
HENRY TRIMBLE WELLS, one of the
leaders of the colored population of the city
of Chicago, is a man of taste and refine-
ment. He is accomplished in numerous ways,
being owner of one of the prettiest houses south
of Sixty-third Street, on Evans Avenue. He is
to be admired greatly because he has achieved
success and his present position through hardest
work, and comparatively without the aid of
others, his own exertions being his sole reliance.
In whatever he undertakes he shows the posses-
sion of taste, and this was especially exhibited in
the designing of his own house.
Henry Trimble Wells, born February 22, 1858,
is a son of Razobus and Ann Wells, who resided
in Paris, Kentucky, at the time of his birth. He
lived in the place of his birth until 1869, when
he embarked on the sea of life on his own re-
sources. He went through public school and
attended high school one year, the latter being in
Cincinnati. From the age of fourteen he was
employed five years on a steam boat. Subse-
quently, and until August, 1877, he waited on
table in hotels in Cincinnati. He removed to
Chicago and was occupied at the same vocation
in the Grand Pacific Hotel during 1877-78-79.
He later worked in the Arcadian Club House,
located at No. 119 Dearborn Street, which he
left for a short time to become a steward in the
Lacine Club, at No. 103 Adams Street, returning
again to the Arcadian. For the past six years
he has been steward in the Hoffman Club, whose
building he helped to fit up in 1891. This club
house is located at No. 1 14 Monroe Street.
October 30, 1889, Mr. Wells was married to
Miss Mary F. Herndon, a native of Kansas City.
She is a daughter of Harry and Margaret Hern-
don. In the Grand United Order of Odd Fel-
J. H. VEITH.
lows he is a member of Hutchinson Lodge No.
362. He has been through the chairs and is one
of the most prominent and respected of his
brothers. He favors the Republican party with
his vote and arguments in politics.
Added to the accomplishments already men-
tioned, Mr. Wells possessess a thorough knowl-
edge of the details of law. He received a diploma
from the Sprague Correspondence School of Law
September 10, 1896. He also holds a diploma
from the Chicago Correspondence School of Law,
dated 1898, and is now taking a post-graduate
course. In 1891 Mr. Wells erected a residence
at No. 6459 Evans Avenue, where he has since
made his home. His is the first house in the
block and the tenth in the subdivision.
JOHANN H. VEITH.
(TOHANN KEREN VEITH, who is a repre-
I sentative citizen of Chicago, was born of a
Q) very old and respected German family. He
comes of a race of energetic men, of strong,
muscular constitutions and force of character.
Being typical of this nation, he has all the
qualities which assist a man to success and a
good name. Born October n, 1834, in the vil-
lage of Aardoffost, Friesland, Germany, he is a
son of Behrend Heronomus Thaden and Etta
His paternal grandfather, Thade Johnsen, was
the father of Thade and two daughters. He was
a tiller of the soil and also a weaver by occupa-
tion. The maternal grandfather of Johann H.
Veith was an agriculturist, and his children were:
John, Nuka, Thade, Wipka, and some others,
the whole number being twelve.
The father of the man whose name heads this
article was a tiller of the soil and died about 1860,
at the age of seventy-one years. His worthy life
companion preceded her husband, and he married
for his second wife the mother of J. H. Veith.
She also died before he, and was at the age of
forty-three years when this unhappy event oc-
curred. Her children are accounted for as fol-
lows: Thade still resides in the Fatherland.
Gesina married Wilhelm Dierks and resides in
Nebraska. Johann Keren is the next in order
of birth. Onke is a tailor in Berlin, Germany.
Marie is also in the land of her nativity. The
first wife of Mr. B. H. T. Veith was named
Tompke and her children were Frederick and
Johann H. Veith left Germany in 1858, and
located in London, England, where he was
occupied at his trade, that of a tailor, for some
time. In 1861 he removed to Montreal, Canada,
and in 1862 located in New York. He remained
in that city until he came to Illinois, in 1868.
Since that time he has been a citizen of Chicago.
He erected a residence on Wentworth Avenue,
where he lived after its completion until 1894,
when he came to No. 6649 Champlain Avenue,
which has since been his home. He has been
in the service of various employers and in what-
ever he undertakes, or becomes interested, he is a
In December, 1858, Mr. Veith was married to
Miss Henrietta Fredericka, daughter of Henry
and Christiana Oppermann. Mrs. Veith was born
August 19, 1832, in the town of Herzberg on the
Harz, Hanover, Germany. Her father married
at the age of twenty years. He was born in 1802,
and died in the prime of life, in 1844. He was a
gun-worker. His wife died in 1875, at the age
of seventy-five years, surviving her husband
thirty-four years. Her children were named:
J. A. A. SCHULENBURG.
Johanna, Charlotte, Minnie, Heinrich, Caroline,
Henrietta, August, Augusta, Louise, Elizabeth,
Ernst and Heinrich. The two who were named
Heinrich are deceased. Caroline came to America
and married Carl Kuster, a tiller of the soil, and
resides in Alabama.
Mrs. Veith's maternal grandfather was the
father of Christiana, Wilhelmiua, Fredericka and
Henrietta. Her paternal grandfather had the
following children: Ludwig, Caroline, Henry
and two daughters whose names are not now
The children of Mr. and Mrs. Veith are, Minnie,
deceased, and Etta. The latter is the wife of
J. A. A. Schulenburg, a biography of whose
JOHN A. A. SCHULENBURG.
(JOHN ANTON ANDREAS SCHULENBURG,
I who is one of the prominent and energetic
C/ business men in the section of Chicago where
he is located, was born on the I4th of March,
1849, in the city of Quackennbriick, Hannover,
Germany. He comes of a very old German
family and his parents were Henry and Katharine
(Uchtmann) Schulenburg. His paternal grand-
father, Henry Schulenburg, was a tiller of the
soil, and was the father of many children, nearly
all of whom came to America and located in St.
The maternal grandfather of John A. A.
Schulenburg was the owner of many small farms,
which brought him considerable wealth. His
children are accounted for as follows: John H.
was a merchant in Holland and is now deceased;
Herman is also deceased ; Deidr'ch is a crockery
clerk, now in hospital at No. 127 West Polk
Street, Chicago; Henry, who is located on West
Harrison Street, is a dealer in hides and leather;
he was a soldier in the Civil War. Katharine is
the mother of the man whose name heads this
Henry Schulenburg located in America in
1867, bringing with him his wife and two chil-
dren Henry and Walaska. He owned a farm
in his native land, that had passed down through
many generations of owners by his name. He
retired from active life on his arrival in America,
and remained so until his death. His wife died
in 1867, at the age of fifty-six years. Her chil-
dren are three in number. John Anton Andreas
is the eldest. Walaska married William Saul, a
painter, who is a native of Chicago. They reside
at No. 2225 Wentworth Avenue. Henry Schulen-
burg is a harness-maker, at No. 3144 State Street,
and a residence at No. 3623 Forest Avenue.
J. A. A. Schulenburg was the first of his
father's family to emigrate from his native land,
and reached Chicago in July, 1866. He began
life in this city as clerk for P. T. Tiedemann, on
Milwaukee Avenue, near Erie Street, and con-
tinued in this employ three years. He spent the
same length of time with F. Langbein, located at
the corner of Thirteenth and State Streets. He
subsequently established a dry-goods store at No.
630 State Street, next door to his old employer.
He took for a partner Theodore Wilken, the firm
becoming Schulenburg & Wilken. They con-
tinued in partnership two years and later closed
out the business. For two years Mr. Schulen-
burg was clerk for Mr. Rothschild, at the corner
of Twenty-ninth and State Streets, and for three
years for Sachn Brothers, at the corner of North
Avenue and Orchard Street. He later opened
J. C. GEBERT.
another dry-goods store at No. 3108 Wentworth
Avenue, the firm name being E. G. Schulenburg
& Company, afterward moved to No. 6340 Cottage
Five years ago Veith & Schulenburg erected
a residence at No. 6649 Champlain Avenue,
which is a three-story, stone front building all
occupied by them. August 30, 1876, Mr. Schulen-
burg married Miss Etta Gesina, daughter of
John and Henrietta (Oppenrnann) Veith. Mrs.
Schulenburg was born January 24, 1859, in
London, England. Her children are as follows:
Heinrich Keren, born July 8, 1877, resides with
his parents; Wilhelm Adam, born January 20,
1880, died May 8, 1880; and Henrietta Johanna
Katharine, born August 13, 1885.
Mr. Schulenburg is a stanch Republican, as to
political views, and at all favorable opportunities
presents forcible arguments in favor of the party
with which he is affiliated.
JOHN C. GEBERT.
(JOHN CHRISTOPHER GEBERT. It is
proper and according to the laws of justice
that the life history of a man of the charac-
ter of John Christopher Gebert, should be regis-
tered with the same consideration as others of his
contemporaries, in a book whose pages are entirely
devoted to this purpose. He was born Septem-
ber 26, 1842, in Mecklenburg, Germany. His
parents were George and Dorothea (Ruehl) Ge-
George Gebert, brother of the man whose name
heads this article, was the first of his father's
family to emigrate from his native land. He
arrived in the United States in 1850, and died in
Chicago September 14, 1898. Charles Gebert,
of whom extended mention appears elsewhere in
this work, came to America in 1853. Mary
Gebert, another of the family of George Gebert,
Senior, married Henry Sol town.
Mrs. Gebert, mother of John C., came to
America with her sons, John C., Henry (see
biography headed by his name, in this work) ,
and Fred (whose biography also appears in this
work). Fred resides at the corner of Twenty-
first Street and Wentworth Avenue, Chicago.
Henry died and his widow resides at No. 2952
South Park Avenue.
John C. Gebert began life in America as a car-
penter, being employed by Sennitz, on Milwaukee
Avenue, two years. He began a business of
teaming, starting with one team, which number,
when he abandoned the occupation in 1864, had
increased to four teams. His home was first on
Thirtieth Street, between Cottage Grove and
Calumet Avenues, but in 1864 he built a resi-
dence at No. 27 10 Cottage Grove Avenue. He
established a store on Cottage Grove Avenue and
conducted business at this location until 1886.
He retired at that time and has since enjoyed the
fruits of his labor, having lived a happy, con-
September 23, 1865, Mr. Gebert was married
to Miss Hannah Wilhelmina, daughter of Chris-
tian and Elizabeth Heckelman. George Fred-
erick, the first born of the children of Mr. and
Mrs. J. C. Gebert, is spoken of in a biography
which treats of his life, on another page of this
work. Amelia Dorothea is the next in order of
birth and she was born April 29, 1866. She
married William Conroy and resides at No. 6332
Peoria Street, Chicago. The other children of
Mr. and Mrs. Gebert are: Elizabeth Dorothea,
born September 25, 1870; John, March 28, 1872,
died at the age of one year and eleven months;
William Frederick, September 18, 1875; Caroline
Christina Johanna, January 15, 1878; Lillian
Wilhelmina Elizabeth, March 29, 1880; Frederick
Christian, October 7, 1882; Edward, January 23,
1885; Ham Ralph, July 22, 1887; and Louise
Selina, July 9, 1890, died November 20, 1894.
Mr. Gebert has served in all offices of Lincoln
Lodge No. 140, Ancient Order of United Work-
men. He is a Republican and follows the teach-
ings of his fathers, in adhering to the belief of
the Lutheran Church. He is a man of high
honor, strict integrity, and is beloved and
esteemed by all who come in contact with his
0UNCAN McKICHAN, who is one of the
valued and honored citizens of the portion
of Chicago in which he resides, is a native
of Scotland, and his nature is typical of the sturdy
and energetic Scotchman. Born October u,
1848, in Glasgow, he is a son of Peter and Ann
(McDougal) McKichan. The family is an old
and highly-respected one and his Christian name
is one which many of his surname have borne.
His paternal grandfather was Duncan McKichan,
whose family included three sons, John, Peter and
Malcolm, and several daughters. One of the
last-named is Ann, and she still resides in the
land of her birth, at the age of one hundred and
The maternal grandfather of Duncan Mc-
Kichan, the subject of this article, was Alexander
McDougal, who was the father of a small family.
Peter McKichan and four children Duncan,
Catherine, Jennie and Mary, emigrated to Canada
in May, 1849, and purchased one hundred acres
of land in Lager Township, eighteen miles west
of London, Ontario. In 1870 he sold this prop-
erty and with Peter, John and Hugh, removed to
Bad Axe, Michigan. At this time Mr. McKichan
retired from active labor. He died February 10,
1896, at the age of ninety-six years, and his re-
mains were interred at Bad Axe. He was a car-
penter by trade, and practiced this in his birth-
place, Greenock, Scotland, and also in Glasgow,
where he worked for fourteen years for one Mc-
Pherson. After his arrival in Canada he was in
the service of a cousin of his former employer,
bearing the same name, in London for a period of
Mrs. Peter McKichan, mother of the man
whose name heads this article, died January 12,
1896, at the age of eighty -six years. Her re-
mains were interred at Bad Axe, Michigan. She
was born in the same part of Scotland as her hus-
band, and her children were ten in number. The
first, Sarah Ann, died at the age of eighteen
months. Catherine married Joseph Broomfield,
and resides at Bad Axe, Michigan. Jennie mar-
ried Isaac Davidson, and resides at Ravenswood,
Canada. Mary is the wife of John Miller, and
lives in Canada. The above mentioned and